opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 06-17-2003, 11:12 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
STAIND RIPS OF TOOL (no shit eh?)

as much as i hate staind with a passion, i have done some reading and i realize that they claim they are heavily influenced by tool. they practically worship tool. my friend was stupid enough to actually buy staind's new album, and he showed me the cd which pissed me off even more. the cd art is a collage of eyeballs...the way my friend presented it to me was even more idiotic: "oooooooh look at all the eyes!!!" i just kinda shrugged, then ran to the toilet and vomited. i can just imagine the producers of the album "well, tool put some funky eyeball looking things on their last cd, why don't we do that? here, we'll just put a whole collage of it, even though tool had a reason behind it (seeing how the designs ACTUALLY went with the theme of the album), but we're just putting these worthless designs on there for no apparent reason but to rip off the band we try to idolize".
it's a shame that staind claims to be such big followers of tool and that they are "influenced" by them. all staind songs are monotonous, they just go on and on, i get headaches listening to them. oh we'll just strike up a few chords, play them over and over and over again for the duration of the song, produce a half-ass job of an album, and call ourselves the next tool.

the point is i hate staind.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:27 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64
Re: STAIND RIPS OF TOOL (no shit eh?)

Quote:
Originally posted by ihatemickjagger
And Mick Jagger, too.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:52 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
And Linkin Park ... they claim to have a bunch of middle eastern influence on their new CD. It's too bad all of these bands write their songs in ways which they think is so deep and great, but they actually don't tell a damn thing.

-Pushit, Tool
Old 06-18-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally posted by ihatemickjagger
as much as i hate staind with a passion, i have done some reading and i realize that they claim they are heavily influenced by tool. they practically worship tool. my friend was stupid enough to actually buy staind's new album, and he showed me the cd which pissed me off even more. the cd art is a collage of eyeballs...the way my friend presented it to me was even more idiotic: "oooooooh look at all the eyes!!!" i just kinda shrugged, then ran to the toilet and vomited. i can just imagine the producers of the album "well, tool put some funky eyeball looking things on their last cd, why don't we do that? here, we'll just put a whole collage of it, even though tool had a reason behind it (seeing how the designs ACTUALLY went with the theme of the album), but we're just putting these worthless designs on there for no apparent reason but to rip off the band we try to idolize".
it's a shame that staind claims to be such big followers of tool and that they are "influenced" by them. all staind songs are monotonous, they just go on and on, i get headaches listening to them. oh we'll just strike up a few chords, play them over and over and over again for the duration of the song, produce a half-ass job of an album, and call ourselves the next tool.

teenagers are learning to appreciate art...give them time
Old 06-19-2003, 10:08 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Macrame
And Linkin Park ... they claim to have a bunch of middle eastern influence on their new CD. It's too bad all of these bands write their songs in ways which they think is so deep and great, but they actually don't tell a damn thing.
I hear alot of middle eastern influences in there music.

Old 06-19-2003, 03:31 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27
If you think ahrd enough, you could find similarities in anything. For instance: Korn rips off of Toys R Us because they use a backwards "R" too!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:35 PM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318
I recently heard Staind Covering Sober Live.... grrrr (but not, I was NOT at the concert).

Quote:
Originally posted by nate
If you think ahrd enough, you could find similarities in anything. For instance: Korn rips off of Toys R Us because they use a backwards "R" too!
Gotta love that :D I thought of that when I first heard of them... you know thats kinda "cool" (not). It helps Korn reach out to the younger generation, because they'll relate to the "R" from the Toys R us Commercials... sorry I'm getting a little carried away here.

There are other bands around which are good, but its the mystery in just about every song of Tools which sets them apart.

Its annoying to see Staind using the eye, just because its popular on another album...
Old 06-20-2003, 04:01 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

I'll be damned if Linkin Park could play a citar like it 4 Degrees. Middle Eastern influence my ass. Danny spent a year with Aloke Dutta, the Tabla drum instructor. Now that's some influence.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:23 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i dont listern to staind, because i dont like beating my head on wall.

I hear linken park on the radio, see there faces on every magizine, soo humm i might listern to one.

There was my first mistake, reading about them in a magizine, when they probley payed them out.

ohh linken park, when will nu metal bands stop singing about girl trobles and suicide, there is more to life.
and stop abusing the double kick MURDEROUS BASTEREDS

the Lyrics are half assed the music is half assed.
if you know whats good for you dont listern to them, they only seen you stupid

im sure every one in this forum hates them, because they understand good music eg. Tool. :D
Old 06-20-2003, 07:47 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

staind rips off tool

first of all, id like to say that i am a staind fan..lol..sry, i just do, i love the guitar work especially (mike mushok), but at the same time, i am a Tool fan (i like Tool more than Staind by the way)..but im going to have to agree with u on the whole eye art work thing, that was a bit of a rip off, i must confess..and yes i can see why u dont like staind, aaron's vocals get annoying in some songs, i understand this (outside, ect.) but i still feel i have to say that they do have good songs and are good song writters..and as far as linkin park goes, i dont really like em, but i can tolerate SOME of their songs...people today are so quick to judge music by its face and image..if a certain band doesnt appeal to u, its probably because it doesnt support ur bullshit caste that u follow in your bullshit highschool...this is why i love Tool so much, because they r one of the most origional bands out there today, NO BODY IS LIKE TOOL! but ne way, my point is banging other artists is a WASTE OF TIME!! im have been guilty of this as well, but it gets old after awhile. Yes, pop groups like nsync and stuff get on my nerves too, among all the other acts like that, i just dont talk about it all the time..
forgive me if this quote doesnt apply, but i think it does..
"so crucify the ego, before its far too late, and leave behind this place so negative blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all thats imagined and unconcievable, so just let the light touch u, and let the words spill through, and let them pass right through, bringing out our hope and reason..before we pine away.."
Old 06-20-2003, 11:38 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.14
im sure every one in this forum hates them, because they understand good music eg. Tool. :D
hmmm... i guess you're wrong.

Let's see, I happen to like Linkin Park AND Staind AND Tool, and many other artists.

Well, either I'm lying or you're wrong. And I'm not lying.

Tool is incredibly good.

but that doesn't mean everything else sucks.

Do not be so quick to condemn nor so quick to make so broad a statement as the aforementioned.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by nate
3.14 hit the nail on the head
i ALSO don't listen to staind because i don't like beating my head upon the wall...don't think i'm so quick to condemn staind because they put some eyeballs on their cd, i just don't like then because their music is irritating. and honestly, did staind actually put the eyes on their cd for a reason? was the album themed around a bunch of eyes? or did they just do it because the band they idolize put them on their last album? think about those questions, i must be out
Old 06-22-2003, 02:55 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

In light of this post ... I'd like to ask everybody for a list of the majority of the bands they listen to outside of Tool. Here's mine

Metallica
System of a Down
Jimmy Eat World
Tenacious D
The Used
Pink Floyd

-Pushit, Tool
Old 06-22-2003, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
In light of this post ... I'd like to ask everybody for a list of the majority of the bands they listen to outside of Tool. Here's mine

Metallica
System of a Down
Jimmy Eat World
Tenacious D
The Used
Pink Floyd
gladly:

Coldplay
Rush
Dreamtheater
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Red Hot Chili Peppers

each of these bands i love because of originality and talent, and the enjoyment i get out of listening to them...Tool obviously fits right in there as well. The thing about Staind that just isn't working for me is that their music is repetitive and uninspired
Old 06-22-2003, 04:56 PM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

Linken Park, Staind, and anyone else you care to diss - probably aren't as good as tool (In my opinion that is), but it doesn't mean they don't have anything to offer.

Other bands/musicians I regularly listen to:

Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam (yes, you're welcome to call me a dick)
A Perfect Circle
Midnight Oil
John Butler Trio
Something for Kate

I'm pretty open minded musically, although for bands (groups) like Nsync... I have no time at all. When someone else writes a song for you, makes a film clip for you, trains you how to sing... its just not music, its marketing.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Bands I like {feel free to yell at me}

I would just like to say that it is perfectly fine if you don't like Staind and Linkin Park, but that doesn't mean anyone should generalize a typical Staind or Linkin Park fan, or assume that one cannot like both these bands AND Tool. {I'm not saying anyone has, just reminding.}
Other Bands:
Metallica {I know...the new album sucks}.
Nine Inch Nails {I thought Trent wrote the best lyrics ever until I heard Tool...}
Linkin Park {read above}
Staind {ditto}
Coldplay {They're not amazing as everyone says, but they are a really good band}
Nirvana {cliche, I know, but they are an amazing band. Screw anyone who says they like Nirvana, or any other band for that reason, just to say they do to be like everyone else. If you really honestly like a band, then great, more power to you, even if that band is NSYNC.}
Old 06-23-2003, 12:35 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

well, i know it is broadminded to say that Staind suck, but that is my opinion and i am going to express it. I believe they suck...i never knew they were influenced by tool, and i cannot believe that they put eyes on their album...that is just a rip-off, if it's not, then its hero worship...

and i do listen to other music such as:

Dream Theater
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Metallica (yes, St. Anger did suck)
Jimmy Eat World
A Perfect Circle
Blink 182

This, here, this my friend, is a spoon.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

my bands would be:
Radiohead
Mr. Bungle*
Fantomas*
Tomahawk*
Faith No More*
* (I dig Patton)
Primus
Spearhead
Zeppelin
Floyd
Beatles
Coldplay
Tricky
Sigur Ros
The Doors
(Old School) Rage

EMO music eats dick by the way, ive never seen such a cleverly deceptive marketing plan for depressed teens
the music is well less than half-assed, and the "artists" if you can call them that are more obsessed with a fashion statement than they are any real statement, i think as music fans we should look for things that are there for us to buy, but not made specifically to sell to us. All the bands i named above i chose because i know they're talented and could give two shits whether or not you buy their record. they're not dressing up to fit some stupid ass Fad either. They just make art, like any painter whose are you buy on canvass, these guys are true artists (except for the beatles who at one time sold out, only so they could make a lot of money and go trip in some really cool places, then come back and write some bad ass albums)
Old 06-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

let's see.......

Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Deftones
Korn
Metallica
Disturbed
ZZ Top

Those are the main ones. I have a shit load of cd's that i have and like but these are the ones that get worn out in my cd player. I have recently started listening to Chevelle so I don't know how that band will turn out.

I am a guitar player and I am in a band. The kind of music I always listen to is based upon these characteristics:
-cool guitar riffs
-ability to cover song
-just the fact that the band has this weird ability to take over my mind and bring me to this like dreamy half concious state ..... tool and deftones do this to me
-pink floyd is a really hard band to cover because of the effects they use ......but their lyrics are awesome
Old 06-25-2003, 05:37 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

Well, first of I think that both Linkon Park and Staind are commercial, glorified, nu metal garbage groups. I sence nothing but lack of artisic creativity in thoe groups. That doesn't mean that I hate those who like the bands, I happen to have a friend who likes both.

On another note, I'll play along and list my favorite groups.

Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Tool
A Perfect Circle (duh)
Black Sabbath
Black Label Society
Alice in Chains
The Tea Party
Dream Theatre
Nevermore
Days of the New
Old Metallica ( Kill em all - And Jutice for all)

..Those are the main ones, I could go on with more but long list are boring.

peace
Old 06-27-2003, 07:16 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

I think when people listen to a lot of outstanding music all the time other bands can seem very dull. i have mixed feelings about Staind. Some songs are ok but others are a little juvenile and try too hard to force an emotional feeling. That sounds fake. As for Linkin Park, well, they're music simply sounds cheesy. Completely predictible in a bad way. Makes you cringe at its shallowness. Still, they have a place in music. They can write music just fine but it is very average. I believe top notch music is very wide spread but you may have to do some research. Time always sheds light on the true greatness of a band. Many of these groups will disappear off the face of the earth. I usually try not to bash subpar bands. They do that on their own. I just ignore them. They WILL disappear.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:44 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by watchtheweather
I hear alot of middle eastern influences in there music.
I can't understand that, because I have listened to a number of Linkin Park's songs, and they sound more like they've been influenced by the local dump.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:48 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Metallica
System of a Down
Jimmy Eat World
Tenacious D
The Used
Pink Floyd
I listen to a variety of bands.

Adiemus
A Perfect Circle
Chevelle
Clannad
Evanescence
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Old 06-27-2003, 10:21 PM   #24
Banned.

Quote:
Originally posted by supersonic2006
Do not be so quick to condemn nor so quick to make so broad a statement as the aforementioned.
No offense to you supersonic, but i love it when people use big words when they talk shit in these threads. Just comical to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by schismgrudge200
EMO music eats dick by the way, ive never seen such a cleverly deceptive marketing plan for depressed teens
the music is well less than half-assed, and the "artists" if you can call them that are more obsessed with a fashion statement than they are any real statement.
So when the newest Red Hot Chili Pepper cd came out and everyone said that they went EMO, your saying they sold out? The type of music you create is just thrown into the closest available genre. While i think that most "EMO" is just depressed punk (not in the sad or discouraged sense, although it can be both) Some Emo is actually really good music. Its just a bit more emo-tionally oriented. Basically If Tool played country-style music would they suck?

But enough of that. All this argument about linkin park and staind, whoop dee doo! I think they both suck, and i dont really care if you like them or not.

That linkin park rip-off evanessence is even less musically talanted (minus the chick; but im pretty sure thats mostly digitized).

I have no heard this dream theatre yet, but am downloading right now. Thanks for the bands guys.

-Rollo anyone?-
Old 06-28-2003, 12:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally posted by soberwithapenis

So when the newest Red Hot Chili Pepper cd came out and everyone said that they went EMO, your saying they sold out? The type of music you create is just thrown into the closest available genre. While i think that most "EMO" is just depressed punk (not in the sad or discouraged sense, although it can be both) Some Emo is actually really good music. Its just a bit more emo-tionally oriented. Basically If Tool played country-style music would they suck?
i dont' consider By the Way an emo album...sure, it has a few emotional songs on there, but the whole album isn't full of them...By the Way, Zephyr Song, Can't Stop, Throw away your television, On Mercury, and a few others don't have any emotion-related lyrics in them. If anyone considered the chili peppers emo, i guess they can just call incubus emo too. look at songs like i miss you, or a few of the songs on their morning view album. are they emo (at least by the teen angst stereotype)? no way. i don't think emo should be a term naming a genre meant for the depressed teens...that should just be pussy punk...emo should just be a term for certain songs that show some sort of emotion...not just for their petty love lives, but for deeper things too. another thing, i also actually don't beleive in "depressed" teens...sure if they've gone through serious problems, i can see...but i'm 16, i've gone through shit, but it hasn't made me depressed. i was talking to a girl on aim who's a few years younger than

me...here's how the conversation went
me: haven't seen you on in a while
her: yeah, sports and stuff
me: how's life been treating you
her: like shit
me: why's that, what's been going on?
her: boyz

tell me, why should a teenager in junior high be depressed because they don't have a boyfriend? and you may say that the depressed-teen emo genre is perfect fitting music for teens' problems...but it isn't. not having a significant other at this age is NOT a problem. it's a priviledge in my book. REAL teen problems are those like parents going through divorce, family conflict, parents getting layed off, etc....but that's all i have to say about this, i get tired of talking about teen angst
Old 06-28-2003, 10:54 PM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

favorite bands would be

TOOL
Slipknot
MuDvAyNe's old stuff
Nirvana
creed
Korn
deftones
APC
Metallica's old stuff
stabbing westward
Bush
pearl jam
Rage against the machine

oh, by the way, i hate good charlotte (with a deep, firey, growing, twitching, passion) and if i see any more fuckin 50 cent, im going to shoot myself.....

*looks at TV* .......*BANG!*
Old 06-29-2003, 07:29 PM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

This is sad that anyone in this forum can appreciate STinkin excuse me linkin park. the only influence they have is ghetto loving rap. im sorry for the people that arent muscians and cant understand how simple the stinkin park songs are. tool doesnt play the hardest riffs there solos arent he hardest licks but they are the most influincial band to me ever. i enjoy staind due to the meanin in all aarons's songs. but linkin park blows. i love all sorts of stuff from finger eleven and dust for life, to tom petty. but i cant stand anyone that wants to make a song to be put on the radio like linkin park. lets look all hip and be cool so we can get on the radio. and act like we have a bad ass side to us. when really we are rappers and back street boys on crack. if i had it my way they would all never be able to sing again or make another guitar riff.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:01 PM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

other bands

System Of A Down
Disturbed
Staind
Linkin Park
Incubus
Garth Brooks (he's country, but hell, go on and make fun of me)
Puddle Of Mudd

I do agree that Linkin Park's music isn't really that great when it comes down to like guitar riffs and whatever, but I still like it. It's good music. I like what I like.
I just don't see what it is with Staind's MUSIC that's bad, but I heard on the radio that Aaron Lewis is coming out with his own clothing line? Talk about selling out, holy shit.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:26 PM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

if thats true he is selling out like a bitch. but the thing is linkin park aint music. most of there stuff can be made with a simple machine. bands that play music are as follow besides tool

Days Of The New
Dust For Life
Fuel (laugh if you want)
staind
earshot
FINGER ELEVEN
creeds first album
Tom Petty
and more
Old 07-01-2003, 10:43 AM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
My friend always played Linkin Park and Staind in his car. Staind I can stand for a bit..they have some good songs but the lyrics are soooo repetitive. Linkin Park SUCKS BALLS. I hate the turntables and the guy's voice is annoying to me. Especially when he yells.

Anyway some of my fave bands are:

Tool
A Perfect Circle
System of a Down
Korn (first 2 CD's)
Alice in Chains
Rage Against the Machine
Dredg
Opeth
Pink Floyd
Agalloch (well, I've only heard like 3 of their songs and they sound damn good..I've already ordered one of their CD's.)
Old 07-07-2003, 11:38 PM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Everyone who says tool is above the industry, they aren't. They are an incredibly creative and thought provoking band, that's why I love them so much. But in their uniqueness and mysteriousness they make a lot of money. Is this just them being creative? I don't think so. I think that a lot of it is geared towards making money. They are just a lot smarter than moronic bands that just for the cliche marketing. By 'not caring' about what the industry thinks they seem to be going for money just as all the other bands.

"All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name... All you read and Wear or see and Hear on TV Is a product Begging for your Fatass dirty Dollar"

So basically tool told us right there, all their cool unique stuff is still a product for the masses. A lot of you probably know all this already, but I just thought I'd just say it because i know some people who don't realize this.

--Mongoose
Old 07-07-2003, 11:57 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 100
I didn't quite read this thread because it's staind bashing and I agree with it and there's just no point because they all they do is whine about themselves. job's done already.

what I came here for is to tell you that staind made a cover of sober .. you can find the video on kazaa.

file name :
Staind - Sober (live Tool cover).mpeg
Old 07-08-2003, 12:00 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

why bother

the fact is bands like staind and linkin park r garbage 2 me.THey suck so why bother discussing them(i love being a hypocrite).
whiny puling ``pauvre moi`` lyrics and the neo heavy thing r actually an irritation 2 me because they help stereotype the genre i love. Dont discuss korn clones try instead 2 find valid original music(or at least semi original). Bands like Staind contribute nothing of worth to music......its pop bubblegum radio friendly crap.
PS Fred durst is a tool

(DONT yell at me staind fans lol)
Regards the
MInDBenDer
Old 07-09-2003, 09:28 PM   #34
Banned.

Bincount™: 301
i like some of stainds earlier work but i agree with the fact that pop music got to them and they started making bullshit music to be famous, anyways my favorite groups are....

TOOL...of course
system of a down
rage against the machine
the melvins
led zepplin....definately of course
pink floyd
the who
living sacrifice
nothingface
and last but definately not least...fear factory
Old 07-13-2003, 01:30 AM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Most of the people posting seem to disregard bands/artists that are actually unique and musically experimental- fascinating, cosidering you're all Tool fans. Most of you also seem to feel the need to classify music in a category, as opposed to simply evaluating it based on its individual merits. On that note, my influences as a musician and theorist are...
Nine Inch Nails (The Fragile, especially)
Tori Amos
Fiona Apple
King Crimson
Plumb (Self Titled and Candycoatedwaterdrops)
Soundgarden
The Smashing Pumpkins
Poe (esp. Haunted)
The Cherry Poppin' Daddies (Soul Caddy is genius)
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dave Navarro's Solo Album, Trust No One
Chris Cornell's Solo Album, Euphoria Morning
Metallica (ALL OF IT!)
Natalie Imbruglia
Frank Zappa
Marylin Manson; although he can be self indulgent, he's a brillaint entertainer.The Golden Age of Grotesque, Antichrist Superstar, and Mechanical Animals took some impressive musical leaps, and no one matches his pure animal fury when playing live. Just don't sit front and center- he tends to spit and sweat a lot. I kept making that mistake.
The Police
Sting, and numerous other modern jazz musicians including Andy Summers' solo work.
John Rutter, the composer and conductor. I sang in a choir directed by him at a Carnegie Hall performance of some peices he wrote, the Gloria and the Te Deum. He's a genius; The dense chords and experimental harmonies he toyed with nearly had me pissing my pants.
Eminem
real, good, poetic, underground hip hop that gets absolutely no commercial exposure. Also The Beastie Boys, Tupac, Lauren Hill, Outkast, Busta Rhymes, and NERD(for production)- it's sad that no one here seems to appreciate or even understand good hip-hop.

What is it with everybody and worshipping Led Zeppelin? They were great and all, but Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins and Tool made them completely obsolete. And think about that statement before you have the knee-jerk "Led Zeppelin Are Gods" reaction- plus Plant's lyrics were asinine, for the most part.

Last edited by Mr. Zebra; 07-13-2003 at 01:39 AM..
Old 07-13-2003, 05:17 AM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
some of my other favourites:

estradasphere
fanfare ciocarlia
tub ring
secret chiefs 3
fantomas
tomahawk
dog fashion disco
sigur ros
deftones
melt banana
serart
dredg
sleepytime gorilla museum
the left rights

personally i think bands such as linkin park and limp bizkit, are quintessential for the growth of modern rock music, as kids will get into them, then use it as a springboard to find other, "better" bands. i know thats what i did.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:08 PM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

linkin park etc

I really dont see the connection or "jump" being made from linkin park etc. to tool or any of the bands you just listed, it doesnt take anyone to be familiar with music to realize that 99.9% of the stuff on radio\tv is garbage.

I understand your point on using bands as stepping stones but tool is a stepping stone to other things while i could never see linkin park, stand or limp bizkit as one, because I think if i was just starting to listen to music and I heard that music i would be discouraged about listeing to music or digging into its depths more because of their music.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:45 AM   #38
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zebra
What is it with everybody and worshipping Led Zeppelin? They were great and all, but Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins and Tool made them completely obsolete. And think about that statement before you have the knee-jerk "Led Zeppelin Are Gods" reaction- plus Plant's lyrics were asinine, for the most part.
You do realise that is just your opinion right?

I feel the need to justify my opinion, because I don't "worship" Led Zeppelin, but I love their music. I don't have all their albums, and I didn't start listening to them because I saw that people who liked Tool also liked Led Zeppelin, or because Tool covered a song of theirs, I got into them from mates at school. Not that I should need to justify that.
I agree that some of their lyrics were pretty basic, but I prefer to focus on what they do musically. They started experimenting with some interesting timing and structuring in songs, which I think has influenced a lot of bands today. I could list a lot of their songs which I really love, but hey... I won't get in to that.

Most people who like Led Zeppelin probably just like them because its good music, not because its 'cool' to like them.

I'm not flaming you here, just saying that you're making a generalisation that "everybody" worships Led Zeppelin...

You're obviously an intelligent person, just don't forget that you're not the only one....
Old 07-16-2003, 10:47 AM   #39
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Elgyn- Yeah, point taken. Even though I feel like we've moved beyond it, Zeppelin's musical experimentation opened innumerable doors. I guess I was just venting some frustration I have about people (some of my freinds, in particular) who verbally throttle me every time I point out the slightest flaw in the Zeppelin. Among large groups where I live, believe it or not, people AREN'T into them because of their music, but just because they're Led Zeppelin, and Led Zeppelin is the best band ever, blah blah blah blah... you wouldn't BELIEVE the frequency with which I get those kind of responses from people. Your kind of interest in the band, I understand. Theirs, I don't. But either way, sorry for letting my personal frustrations with sheep people bubble out onto the undoubtedly large INTELLIGENT Zeppelin fan base. I agree with what you said about the song structure, too- in my opinion, experiments in that direction were their greatest achievement. And yes, I realize that this is all just my opinion- I always operate under the assumption that anything I utter at any given moment could be complete bullshit. That way I don't feel so bad when someone points it out. :)

Last edited by Mr. Zebra; 07-16-2003 at 10:58 AM..
Old 07-16-2003, 04:39 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zebra
Elgyn- Yeah, point taken. Even though I feel like we've moved beyond it, Zeppelin's musical experimentation opened innumerable doors. I guess I was just venting some frustration I have about people (some of my freinds, in particular) who verbally throttle me every time I point out the slightest flaw in the Zeppelin. Among large groups where I live, believe it or not, people AREN'T into them because of their music, but just because they're Led Zeppelin, and Led Zeppelin is the best band ever, blah blah blah blah... you wouldn't BELIEVE the frequency with which I get those kind of responses from people
The thin to understand about Zeppelin is FOR THIER TIME, they were head above the rest. comparing them too tool is like comparing the first motor car ever made with an F1 car; theres no point to it because appreciation is coming from two different perspectives. the motor car (Led Zeppelin) back in it's day was a breakthrough in technology(music), whereas an F1 (TOOL) and the like is that technology (music) upgraded, refined and therefore is seen as better. it's all about respect for musical history.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: