Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Apr-July 2007
User Name
Password
base341
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM

I wonder how frustrating it must be to work with Maynard.. As Maynard was walking off during Schism I watched as Justin and Adam tried to act as if nothing was happening..
I feel for these guys especially Danny who is obviously still in pain but gave it his all this night.

What would Tool be like with a different singer?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/04/30 - Reno, NV - Event Center

I wonder how frustrating it must be to work with Maynard.. As Maynard was walking off during Schism I watched as Justin and Adam tried to act as if nothing was happening..
I feel for these guys especially Danny who is obviously still in pain but gave it his all this night.

What would Tool be like with a different singer?
OFFLINE |  
Reebles
05-02-2007, 10:26 AM

I was there last night in Section 104. I am a bit disappointed as well with Maynard's performance, I heard after the show that he either has strep or tonsillitis. I love them and it's amazing to see them, but of all the times I have seen them, this was the worst one, but still good compared to other bands.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

I was there last night in Section 104. I am a bit disappointed as well with Maynard's performance, I heard after the show that he either has strep or tonsillitis. I love them and it's amazing to see them, but of all the times I have seen them, this was the worst one, but still good compared to other bands.
05-02-2007, 11:27 AM

I can see why TOOL chose that particular band to open for them...their spectacular guitar (and other noises) put me in a trance like state and ready for TOOL. Unfortunately, the long break in between bands brought me back to reality. While watching the crowd I realized how diverse TOOL crowds actually are. Amazing. And then it was time for TOOL. The setlist short, but awesome. The bass reverberating through me during Right in Two was powerful. I'm looking forward to seeing them play that song live again. I had secretly been hoping that Maynard would be willing to sing Wings for Judith/ 10,000 Days, but was doubtful. I was pleasantly surprised. Justin, Adam, and Danny all had spotlights on them, Maynard was the only one in the dark. Understandable. It was intensely emotional. RIP Judith. And then the unspeakable happened...an idiot rushed the stage towards the end of 10,000 Days. Off all the songs to rush the stage on...I mean if your heart is set on rushing the stage, could you have chosen a song where Maynard isn't singing about his mother passing away?! Have some respect! Or perhaps you just don't get it. My apologies, Maynard, for the stupidity of others. Again, understandable that Maynard would stop singing. It was a sad moment. I'm unsure to what extent that idiot impacted the rest of the show, but it's clear that he affected it in a negative way. It was difficult to let go of that interruption. Thank you TOOL for another intense experience.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

I can see why TOOL chose that particular band to open for them...their spectacular guitar (and other noises) put me in a trance like state and ready for TOOL. Unfortunately, the long break in between bands brought me back to reality. While watching the crowd I realized how diverse TOOL crowds actually are. Amazing. And then it was time for TOOL. The setlist short, but awesome. The bass reverberating through me during Right in Two was powerful. I'm looking forward to seeing them play that song live again. I had secretly been hoping that Maynard would be willing to sing Wings for Judith/ 10,000 Days, but was doubtful. I was pleasantly surprised. Justin, Adam, and Danny all had spotlights on them, Maynard was the only one in the dark. Understandable. It was intensely emotional. RIP Judith. And then the unspeakable happened...an idiot rushed the stage towards the end of 10,000 Days. Off all the songs to rush the stage on...I mean if your heart is set on rushing the stage, could you have chosen a song where Maynard isn't singing about his mother passing away?! Have some respect! Or perhaps you just don't get it. My apologies, Maynard, for the stupidity of others. Again, understandable that Maynard would stop singing. It was a sad moment. I'm unsure to what extent that idiot impacted the rest of the show, but it's clear that he affected it in a negative way. It was difficult to let go of that interruption. Thank you TOOL for another intense experience.
OFFLINE |  
MONKEYGIRL
05-02-2007, 12:07 PM

Why does everyone think that the crowd roared for the idiot who climbed on stage? I yelled when they tackled his stupid ass and drug him off stage. Maynard was singing a song that he wrote for his mom and some dumb ass decides to ruin the mood. Ya- he through a fit- but that is HIS stage.
I come from a musical family and my father had toured for many years. He is extremely talented and he could have continued to tour but at some point you start wanting to play for yourself not everyone else. It is difficult to play the same stuff over and over and over when you know that no matter what you do SOMEONE will complain. We are the people who got the band where they are and they are still giving us great music but they are real people with real lives and feelings. Look at the lifestyle you have to lead for all of those years touring and beating the shit out of your body and especially your voice. I know what you all are going to say-we all paid a lot of money to see them, and we did see them, and they were awesome!!!!
The band is slowly changing. Maynard isn't the angry man he used to be. He is an educated 43 year old father and awesome musician who has been through some really tough times in his life. I am a newer listener (last 6 or so years) and when I listen to some of the older stuff I can see such a huge difference in every part of the band. He is coming to terms with many things that have haunted him in his past. His energy is completely different. Remember- the music is the same it's the words that are different from time to time. The music and the sound still gives you the feeling. Maynard has an unbelievable voice and it is his voice that makes Tool what they are. No other lead singer could replace him and no matter how bad people might think he sounds it still sounds awesome. Live shows are supposed to a little different and like someone else stated- if you want to hear exactly what is on the CD then stay home and listen to it on your CD player.

We set such high standards for the band and we know that no matter what we get it is better than anything else out there. Of course I felt like I wanted to hear more. I could have listened to them for 8 hours and felt like it wasn't enough. These guys have a long way to go on this tour still and I will continue to support the tour and the effort that the band puts out. I would spend the money to see them over and over and over again because the music, too short, not enough lyrics or whatever, still gets inside me and makes the hair on body stand on end. Their music is supposed to motivate us and move us and it still does!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Why does everyone think that the crowd roared for the idiot who climbed on stage? I yelled when they tackled his stupid ass and drug him off stage. Maynard was singing a song that he wrote for his mom and some dumb ass decides to ruin the mood. Ya- he through a fit- but that is HIS stage.
I come from a musical family and my father had toured for many years. He is extremely talented and he could have continued to tour but at some point you start wanting to play for yourself not everyone else. It is difficult to play the same stuff over and over and over when you know that no matter what you do SOMEONE will complain. We are the people who got the band where they are and they are still giving us great music but they are real people with real lives and feelings. Look at the lifestyle you have to lead for all of those years touring and beating the shit out of your body and especially your voice. I know what you all are going to say-we all paid a lot of money to see them, and we did see them, and they were awesome!!!!
The band is slowly changing. Maynard isn't the angry man he used to be. He is an educated 43 year old father and awesome musician who has been through some really tough times in his life. I am a newer listener (last 6 or so years) and when I listen to some of the older stuff I can see such a huge difference in every part of the band. He is coming to terms with many things that have haunted him in his past. His energy is completely different. Remember- the music is the same it's the words that are different from time to time. The music and the sound still gives you the feeling. Maynard has an unbelievable voice and it is his voice that makes Tool what they are. No other lead singer could replace him and no matter how bad people might think he sounds it still sounds awesome. Live shows are supposed to a little different and like someone else stated- if you want to hear exactly what is on the CD then stay home and listen to it on your CD player.

We set such high standards for the band and we know that no matter what we get it is better than anything else out there. Of course I felt like I wanted to hear more. I could have listened to them for 8 hours and felt like it wasn't enough. These guys have a long way to go on this tour still and I will continue to support the tour and the effort that the band puts out. I would spend the money to see them over and over and over again because the music, too short, not enough lyrics or whatever, still gets inside me and makes the hair on body stand on end. Their music is supposed to motivate us and move us and it still does!!!!
OFFLINE |  
TOOLANYTHING
05-02-2007, 12:17 PM

My two cents on the dismal performance in Reno. Maynard hates Reno! Simple as that. Maybe he had a bad experience once in Reno and is wearing the grudge like a crown. However it just seems that most Reno natives seem to hate their lives, that's what the common concensus seemed to be amongst other non-natives that I talked with. Angry waitresses, pissed off bartenders, it's like the whole city is one big vaccum sucking up all the positve energy that comes in. I think the show was doomed from the second the Tool Juggernaut rolled onto the streets of Reno, and climaxed with the Jackass rushing the stage. I think Maynard deserves more credit than he gets. He has millions of fans around the world with huge expectations from him and when he has a human moment, like he did in Reno, the fans turn on him.

Yes there was a lot of money spent on this show, and the performance didn't even come close to my high expecations. But for a guy pushing his mid forties perhaps dealing with a midlife crisis, I felt he did the best he could in a pithole that struggles with it's idenity as the little brat sister to Vegas. I can guarantee Maynard won't return to Reno (especially thanks to the asswipe who rused the stage), but don't worry Tool, I sure as hell won't either
Old 05-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

My two cents on the dismal performance in Reno. Maynard hates Reno! Simple as that. Maybe he had a bad experience once in Reno and is wearing the grudge like a crown. However it just seems that most Reno natives seem to hate their lives, that's what the common concensus seemed to be amongst other non-natives that I talked with. Angry waitresses, pissed off bartenders, it's like the whole city is one big vaccum sucking up all the positve energy that comes in. I think the show was doomed from the second the Tool Juggernaut rolled onto the streets of Reno, and climaxed with the Jackass rushing the stage. I think Maynard deserves more credit than he gets. He has millions of fans around the world with huge expectations from him and when he has a human moment, like he did in Reno, the fans turn on him.

Yes there was a lot of money spent on this show, and the performance didn't even come close to my high expecations. But for a guy pushing his mid forties perhaps dealing with a midlife crisis, I felt he did the best he could in a pithole that struggles with it's idenity as the little brat sister to Vegas. I can guarantee Maynard won't return to Reno (especially thanks to the asswipe who rused the stage), but don't worry Tool, I sure as hell won't either
OFFLINE |  
46inme's Avatar 46inme
05-02-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYGIRL View Post

Man, I keep reading this post and you could not do a better job explaining this as you do. I was at three shows in a row just for this reason to see three seperate shows and that's what I got. Three different Tool shows nothing more nothing less. All you people that are crying about whatever were you up on stage doing what they were doing? Have you ever been up on stage trying to do what they are doing? I haven't therefore I can't judge what I don't know! Don't taint the rest of the tour over one show. It was just one show and I'm sure there are jems in the rough left to be discovered. For all you about to see up comming shows F^ck the na sayers it's still live TOOL! We all should be Grateful that we can say we are a part of something that is great as this band called Tool.
9/24/01, 8/13/02, 8/15/02, 8/21/02, 10/24/02, 10/29/02, 5/4/06, 8/6/06, 8/27/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 4/27/07, 4/28/07, 4/30/07, 12/7/07, 12/11/07, 7/12/10, 7/13/10, 1/14/12, 3/9/14, 3/11/14, 3/14/14, 10/31/15, 1/6/16, 1/7/16, 6/21/17, 6/23/17, 11/16/19, 11/18/19, 11/19/19, 1/14/20, 1/15/20, 1/17/20, 1/10/22, 10/17/23, 10/19/23, 10/20/23, 2/9/24, 2/10/24, 2/12/24, 2/14/24, 2/15/24
Old 05-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #46
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYGIRL View Post

Man, I keep reading this post and you could not do a better job explaining this as you do. I was at three shows in a row just for this reason to see three seperate shows and that's what I got. Three different Tool shows nothing more nothing less. All you people that are crying about whatever were you up on stage doing what they were doing? Have you ever been up on stage trying to do what they are doing? I haven't therefore I can't judge what I don't know! Don't taint the rest of the tour over one show. It was just one show and I'm sure there are jems in the rough left to be discovered. For all you about to see up comming shows F^ck the na sayers it's still live TOOL! We all should be Grateful that we can say we are a part of something that is great as this band called Tool.
9/24/01, 8/13/02, 8/15/02, 8/21/02, 10/24/02, 10/29/02, 5/4/06, 8/6/06, 8/27/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 4/27/07, 4/28/07, 4/30/07, 12/7/07, 12/11/07, 7/12/10, 7/13/10, 1/14/12, 3/9/14, 3/11/14, 3/14/14, 10/31/15, 1/6/16, 1/7/16, 6/21/17, 6/23/17, 11/16/19, 11/18/19, 11/19/19, 1/14/20, 1/15/20, 1/17/20, 1/10/22, 10/17/23, 10/19/23, 10/20/23, 2/9/24, 2/10/24, 2/12/24, 2/14/24, 2/15/24
OFFLINE |  
Mattrogesis
05-02-2007, 04:18 PM

There is always many ways to look at the evidence of what occurred in Reno. It could be signs of a band deteriorating. It could be a bad night. Either way, for some of us who have seen the band play since 95, it was a little disturbing to see. It makes you realize that these people are human, and that they are subject to conditions on the road.
When TOOL almost broke up before Lateralus, nobody had a clue. They could be having a tough time now, and nobody would know. I can say that there was definately a vibe at the show that was really negative and strange. Maynard was a blackhole that night.
But then again, Reno, from my estimation, is a shitty town. I come from a shitty town (sacramento), so i know. The energy was weird that night.

As far as them not being as experiemental with set lists as they used to be, it is expected. When you're in a band, you actually start disliking a lot of what you've written, and don't consider it that good. This could be the case with TOOL. Maybe they don't think half the stuff on Undertow is any good anymore, so they don't play it. I know that happens sometimes with songs. All i know is that in seeing them 10 times in 12 years, ive seen every song off of all their albums, except a few from Opiate and a couple from Undertow. Meaning, that they actually DO play all their stuff from their albums over time. Many bands never do that. I've seen 3 10K Days concerts since the album came out, and guess what, I've seen every song peformed. Some luck out this way, some don't.

I was bummed to see a TOOL show where Maynard was sick or not into it. First time I've noticed it. I hope it was just a bad show, and not a sign of thier decline. We're passionate about this band, and don't want to endure some catastrophic "fall" from such a unique and powerful group. But it usually does happen eventually to all great bands.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #47
Level 3 - Talker

There is always many ways to look at the evidence of what occurred in Reno. It could be signs of a band deteriorating. It could be a bad night. Either way, for some of us who have seen the band play since 95, it was a little disturbing to see. It makes you realize that these people are human, and that they are subject to conditions on the road.
When TOOL almost broke up before Lateralus, nobody had a clue. They could be having a tough time now, and nobody would know. I can say that there was definately a vibe at the show that was really negative and strange. Maynard was a blackhole that night.
But then again, Reno, from my estimation, is a shitty town. I come from a shitty town (sacramento), so i know. The energy was weird that night.

As far as them not being as experiemental with set lists as they used to be, it is expected. When you're in a band, you actually start disliking a lot of what you've written, and don't consider it that good. This could be the case with TOOL. Maybe they don't think half the stuff on Undertow is any good anymore, so they don't play it. I know that happens sometimes with songs. All i know is that in seeing them 10 times in 12 years, ive seen every song off of all their albums, except a few from Opiate and a couple from Undertow. Meaning, that they actually DO play all their stuff from their albums over time. Many bands never do that. I've seen 3 10K Days concerts since the album came out, and guess what, I've seen every song peformed. Some luck out this way, some don't.

I was bummed to see a TOOL show where Maynard was sick or not into it. First time I've noticed it. I hope it was just a bad show, and not a sign of thier decline. We're passionate about this band, and don't want to endure some catastrophic "fall" from such a unique and powerful group. But it usually does happen eventually to all great bands.
OFFLINE |  
fillthehollow
05-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Worst show I have ever seen to sum it all up in a few brief words. I agree with most of what others have already said but here it is coming from me. The sound was fucking terrible. I was in the front row in the very center and I could barely hear a word Maynard was singing. When reading that Maynard stopped singing during songs that was a shocker because I couldn't tell whether he was singing or not through the whole show the sound was that bad. Maynard was definitely being a douche for whatever reason and you could sense that friction with the rest of the band. When he first walked off stage I was watching Adam who was like 15 feet in front of me and I could just tell by the look in his eyes that shit was all going to go down hill from there.

The seating was also chaos, it didn't seem like the event staff had a fucking clue which seats belong to who in the front row at least. Anyways tons of people eventually climbed or made their way into the front row which at first wasn't bad but when it became like 100 people it was a little too much. Of course the event staff found a way to make it even worse by kicking everyone out right in the fucking middle of a fucking song. Sorry to the girl who was next to me who got bounced I tried to tell you to hide in the second row until they passed by but I don't think you understood what I was saying. A big fuck you to the bitch (lush) who spilled her drink all over me and repeatedly argued with the bouncer about trying to take a fucking picture with her shitty camera phone . Also if anyone else noticed the dude who threw his weed up over the rail and then tried to plead with security to kick it back that was enjoyable.

Anyways the rest of the band besides Maynard showed grace and humility and Danny definitely gave it his fucking all. It was awesome to see him go all out at the end. He definitely seemed grateful to all the fans who showed support for him and his playing. I can definitely say when I was cheering it was all for Danny. Anyways all in all this was a big disappointment after seeing the show in Marysville which in my opinion was a fucking awesome experience. Oh well at least I've never seen so many drunken gamblers with tool shirts on in a casino before definitely a night to remember. Anyways I'm already looking forward to the next performance and the next tour.

Last edited by fillthehollow; 05-02-2007 at 05:39 PM..
Old 05-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Worst show I have ever seen to sum it all up in a few brief words. I agree with most of what others have already said but here it is coming from me. The sound was fucking terrible. I was in the front row in the very center and I could barely hear a word Maynard was singing. When reading that Maynard stopped singing during songs that was a shocker because I couldn't tell whether he was singing or not through the whole show the sound was that bad. Maynard was definitely being a douche for whatever reason and you could sense that friction with the rest of the band. When he first walked off stage I was watching Adam who was like 15 feet in front of me and I could just tell by the look in his eyes that shit was all going to go down hill from there.

The seating was also chaos, it didn't seem like the event staff had a fucking clue which seats belong to who in the front row at least. Anyways tons of people eventually climbed or made their way into the front row which at first wasn't bad but when it became like 100 people it was a little too much. Of course the event staff found a way to make it even worse by kicking everyone out right in the fucking middle of a fucking song. Sorry to the girl who was next to me who got bounced I tried to tell you to hide in the second row until they passed by but I don't think you understood what I was saying. A big fuck you to the bitch (lush) who spilled her drink all over me and repeatedly argued with the bouncer about trying to take a fucking picture with her shitty camera phone . Also if anyone else noticed the dude who threw his weed up over the rail and then tried to plead with security to kick it back that was enjoyable.

Anyways the rest of the band besides Maynard showed grace and humility and Danny definitely gave it his fucking all. It was awesome to see him go all out at the end. He definitely seemed grateful to all the fans who showed support for him and his playing. I can definitely say when I was cheering it was all for Danny. Anyways all in all this was a big disappointment after seeing the show in Marysville which in my opinion was a fucking awesome experience. Oh well at least I've never seen so many drunken gamblers with tool shirts on in a casino before definitely a night to remember. Anyways I'm already looking forward to the next performance and the next tour.

Last edited by fillthehollow; 05-02-2007 at 05:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
nemofish
05-02-2007, 10:20 PM

This was my sixth tool show, and the first since 10,000 days. I don't really understand all of the negative reactions to the show; actually, i figured that the entire crowd had enjoyed the show until I came home and poked around on this message board. For me, the show was just as intense as any of the other shows I had been to, although I admit I was a bit disappointed that MJK could not belt out the climax to Right in Two. Besides that, however, I felt the rest of the show was just as amazing if not better than the other shows that I have attended.

Before I give my opinion on the MJK situation I should mention that I too also spent lots of money to come to the show, including a plane ticket from Chicago, a hotel room, etc. That said, I think MJK is getting a bit too much flak regarding this show. He didn't sing the climaxes for many of the songs...and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was sick and couldn't sing those sections, which I am sure requires great energy and power from his vocal cords. I really don't believe he would make a conscious decision to omit every single climax from every single song. I take the constant chatter between him and Danny as his keeping the rest of the band up to date on the status of his health. Additionally, the "impromptu candlelight vigil" as somebody earlier called it seemed like an intimate moment between MJK and the audience, and after the show ended, I felt that the band was truly appreciative of the audience as they (especially Adam, from my vantage point) turned to us and applauded as well.

I think people here are making a mountain out of a mole hill here, and, while I agree that this wasn't MJK at 100%, Adam, Justin, and definitely Danny put in extra effort to make up for any deficiencies. Either the vibe of the band has changed from the Lateralus/Aenima days from an angry to a more pensive voice, or MJK decided to forego a sick day so that we wouldn't have to deal with another canceled appearance. Either way, Tool at even 50% is better than any band that I can think of at 120%. It's well known that they take pride in their live show - if they felt like they weren't capable of putting on the type of show they wanted, or their hearts weren't into it anymore, they would simply stop touring. If MJK can afford a $60,000 bottle of wine, then you can be sure he doesn't need the money.

I think its a bit silly for people to be angry at the fact that they had impossibly high expectations for these four humans, and, when those expectations weren't met, they (the audience members) turn on the band. I can say with certainty that they don't aim to please anyone with their music - they write and create for themselves, and this attitude toward the band will only serve to drive them into an earlier retirement.

Finally, I must say that Reno is one of the most depressing places that I've ever been to, and that I don't think I'd ever be able to stay for more than one night in that city.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my sixth tool show, and the first since 10,000 days. I don't really understand all of the negative reactions to the show; actually, i figured that the entire crowd had enjoyed the show until I came home and poked around on this message board. For me, the show was just as intense as any of the other shows I had been to, although I admit I was a bit disappointed that MJK could not belt out the climax to Right in Two. Besides that, however, I felt the rest of the show was just as amazing if not better than the other shows that I have attended.

Before I give my opinion on the MJK situation I should mention that I too also spent lots of money to come to the show, including a plane ticket from Chicago, a hotel room, etc. That said, I think MJK is getting a bit too much flak regarding this show. He didn't sing the climaxes for many of the songs...and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was sick and couldn't sing those sections, which I am sure requires great energy and power from his vocal cords. I really don't believe he would make a conscious decision to omit every single climax from every single song. I take the constant chatter between him and Danny as his keeping the rest of the band up to date on the status of his health. Additionally, the "impromptu candlelight vigil" as somebody earlier called it seemed like an intimate moment between MJK and the audience, and after the show ended, I felt that the band was truly appreciative of the audience as they (especially Adam, from my vantage point) turned to us and applauded as well.

I think people here are making a mountain out of a mole hill here, and, while I agree that this wasn't MJK at 100%, Adam, Justin, and definitely Danny put in extra effort to make up for any deficiencies. Either the vibe of the band has changed from the Lateralus/Aenima days from an angry to a more pensive voice, or MJK decided to forego a sick day so that we wouldn't have to deal with another canceled appearance. Either way, Tool at even 50% is better than any band that I can think of at 120%. It's well known that they take pride in their live show - if they felt like they weren't capable of putting on the type of show they wanted, or their hearts weren't into it anymore, they would simply stop touring. If MJK can afford a $60,000 bottle of wine, then you can be sure he doesn't need the money.

I think its a bit silly for people to be angry at the fact that they had impossibly high expectations for these four humans, and, when those expectations weren't met, they (the audience members) turn on the band. I can say with certainty that they don't aim to please anyone with their music - they write and create for themselves, and this attitude toward the band will only serve to drive them into an earlier retirement.

Finally, I must say that Reno is one of the most depressing places that I've ever been to, and that I don't think I'd ever be able to stay for more than one night in that city.
OFFLINE |  
Carbine000's Avatar Carbine000
05-02-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofish View Post
......................Finally, I must say that Reno is one of the most depressing places that I've ever been to, and that I don't think I'd ever be able to stay for more than one night in that city.
I disagree.
Maynard - We all know Maynard was not feeling it, and you know what, I've heard alot of excuses about him being human, well, humans admit when they fuck up. And he didnt. I mean I dont give a shit what his deal was if it was legit or not. The pure and simple fact that he didnt say anything to us and merely went out on stage and did the absolute bare minimum is the biggest fuck you ever. Sick, tired, want to quit, whatever, fucking tell me so that I can put your performance in the proper context. Its the only decent thing to do. And it is for this reason that I think Maynard is a fucking douche becuase he didnt say shit.
Justin - Always a stalwart. Always rocking out and dropping insane baselines. He sat for Lateralus. Let me say that again: Sat-For-Lateralus. Fuuuuuuck.
Adam - My friends were front row in front of Adam up until 10,000 days and they said he looked haggard and old. Even I could tell he was sub-par.
Danny- Danny is the only one who did not dissapoint.

I said it after the show and I will say it again. Since this was a highly instrumental show. More so than any I've ever heard (and I have alot of boots). This show had the potential to go down in history as one of the rarest shows ever. But because they didnt put the show into the proper context it will be forever framed in negativity, I feel sorry for Adam, Justin, and Danny.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #50

Bincount™: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofish View Post
......................Finally, I must say that Reno is one of the most depressing places that I've ever been to, and that I don't think I'd ever be able to stay for more than one night in that city.
I disagree.
Maynard - We all know Maynard was not feeling it, and you know what, I've heard alot of excuses about him being human, well, humans admit when they fuck up. And he didnt. I mean I dont give a shit what his deal was if it was legit or not. The pure and simple fact that he didnt say anything to us and merely went out on stage and did the absolute bare minimum is the biggest fuck you ever. Sick, tired, want to quit, whatever, fucking tell me so that I can put your performance in the proper context. Its the only decent thing to do. And it is for this reason that I think Maynard is a fucking douche becuase he didnt say shit.
Justin - Always a stalwart. Always rocking out and dropping insane baselines. He sat for Lateralus. Let me say that again: Sat-For-Lateralus. Fuuuuuuck.
Adam - My friends were front row in front of Adam up until 10,000 days and they said he looked haggard and old. Even I could tell he was sub-par.

I said it after the show and I will say it again. Since this was a highly instrumental show. More so than any I've ever heard (and I have alot of boots). This show had the potential to go down in history as one of the rarest shows ever. But because they didnt put the show into the proper context it will be forever framed in negativity, I feel sorry for Adam, Justin, and Danny.
OFFLINE |  
Mattrogesis
05-03-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Coors Light View Post
Junior, can you tell us why it was cut short?

It would appear you have the info and the masses want to know.

Thanks!
I don't think Maynard could sing that night. It happens.

It just sucks when you're there to see a show like that. It freaks you out, cuz you wnoder whats going on. It would've helped a lot if Maynard simply said, "im a little under the weather folks, so would you all mind helping me sing?"

of course, maynard is an aries, which means he's a selfish and egotistical prick, so if he isn't feeling good, he's probably not going to go out of "his" way to communicate anything about it. of course, most people in reno are too stupid or too drunk to notice the show was about 50% of normal performance standards, so by not saying anything, most people were probably just fine with the show.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Coors Light View Post
Junior, can you tell us why it was cut short?

It would appear you have the info and the masses want to know.

Thanks!
I don't think Maynard could sing that night. It happens.

It just sucks when you're there to see a show like that. It freaks you out, cuz you wnoder whats going on. It would've helped a lot if Maynard simply said, "im a little under the weather folks, so would you all mind helping me sing?"

of course, maynard is an aries, which means he's a selfish and egotistical prick, so if he isn't feeling good, he's probably not going to go out of "his" way to communicate anything about it. of course, most people in reno are too stupid or too drunk to notice the show was about 50% of normal performance standards, so by not saying anything, most people were probably just fine with the show.
OFFLINE |  
aingram's Avatar aingram
05-03-2007, 11:33 AM

I enjoyed the show. I travelled quite a distance to see them perform, and that's what they did. I'm not to concerned with whatever Maynard's issue is, nor will I speculate on what could be wrong, even if they played a 5 hour show, at their best, I would still want more.

Just keep enlightening us with your talented music...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

I enjoyed the show. I travelled quite a distance to see them perform, and that's what they did. I'm not to concerned with whatever Maynard's issue is, nor will I speculate on what could be wrong, even if they played a 5 hour show, at their best, I would still want more.

Just keep enlightening us with your talented music...
05-03-2007, 02:27 PM

"Justin - Always a stalwart. Always rocking out and dropping insane baselines. He sat for Lateralus. Let me say that again: Sat-For-Lateralus. Fuuuuuuck"

I don't remember Justin sitting during Lateralus... I remember he sat for 10,000 days and wings for Marie.. After that he changed the bass he was playing, Adam walked over to Danny and Justin and began Lateralus.. I could be wrong but that's what I remember.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #53
Level 2 - Poster

"Justin - Always a stalwart. Always rocking out and dropping insane baselines. He sat for Lateralus. Let me say that again: Sat-For-Lateralus. Fuuuuuuck"

I don't remember Justin sitting during Lateralus... I remember he sat for 10,000 days and wings for Marie.. After that he changed the bass he was playing, Adam walked over to Danny and Justin and began Lateralus.. I could be wrong but that's what I remember.
OFFLINE |  
ShitbludNcum
05-03-2007, 02:56 PM

I thought the show was great, the instrumental focus helped me appreciate the music and show aside from Maynard. My friend and I both had spiritual experiences. However, we were in the 3rd row and the sound was incredible; crisp and clear. There were tix saved to be sold just prior to showtime to deter scalpers so we got primo seats 1 hr b4 TOOL got on. I EVEN CAUGHT DANNY CAREY'S DRUMSTICK! I willed it into my grasp like a lightsaber, my friend likens it to excaliber. I think they played more songs than on that playlist but without maynard singing they went by without notice. TOOL was onstage for approximately 2 hrs.

Last edited by paraflux; 05-03-2007 at 05:50 PM..
Old 05-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #54
On Probation

I thought the show was great, the instrumental focus helped me appreciate the music and show aside from Maynard. My friend and I both had spiritual experiences. However, we were in the 3rd row and the sound was incredible; crisp and clear. There were tix saved to be sold just prior to showtime to deter scalpers so we got primo seats 1 hr b4 TOOL got on. I EVEN CAUGHT DANNY CAREY'S DRUMSTICK! I willed it into my grasp like a lightsaber, my friend likens it to excaliber. I think they played more songs than on that playlist but without maynard singing they went by without notice. TOOL was onstage for approximately 2 hrs.

Last edited by paraflux; 05-03-2007 at 05:50 PM..
OFFLINE |  
UndertowCon46
05-03-2007, 03:59 PM

Reading what other people have wrote recently makes me keep revisiting this show mentally (despite my rather long post that was already added on the first page). Its just that vibe... it really looked like Adam and Justin were looking at each other like "wtf?"... wondering what Maynard was doing. Purely speculation, but my heart nearly sank reading somebody who wrote about how they nearly broke up before and we didn't know... despite my complaining earlier, I truly hope this was just a bad show. Tool would not be the same without Maynard, even though he pissed me off. And I don't think Justin sat for Lateralus... could be wrong though, cause I was locked on Danny 95 percent of the time. He really tore it up, how can you not respect that man.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #55
Level 3 - Talker

Reading what other people have wrote recently makes me keep revisiting this show mentally (despite my rather long post that was already added on the first page). Its just that vibe... it really looked like Adam and Justin were looking at each other like "wtf?"... wondering what Maynard was doing. Purely speculation, but my heart nearly sank reading somebody who wrote about how they nearly broke up before and we didn't know... despite my complaining earlier, I truly hope this was just a bad show. Tool would not be the same without Maynard, even though he pissed me off. And I don't think Justin sat for Lateralus... could be wrong though, cause I was locked on Danny 95 percent of the time. He really tore it up, how can you not respect that man.
OFFLINE |  
chubbs
05-03-2007, 05:16 PM

i've only seen tool twice, in marysville, and then this one. marysville rocked. reno, not so much. in fact, thinking back on all the shows i'ev been to, all the headliners, i've NEVER seen anything like maynard not singing the songs. i've seen singers sick as hell, croaking through songs, the crowd singing along, making it work. this one just didn't work for me, and it's really tainted my whole view of tool to be frankly honest. it was like being at a rehearsal where the singer was just trying to figure out where to stand or something, not interested in the actual singing. tool is a great band, and the music seemed pretty good in reno. lights excellent, danny was tearing it up. but without maynard even trying to sing, it didn't work.

this was easily the worst and most bizarre show i've ever seen by a headlining band in the last 15 years i've been going to shows. sure, some nights are better than others. i understand that. some nights singers take the big notes down an octave. i get that. but he didn't even try, just walked off the stage (schism). skipping the last part of wings (the frikkin climax i'd waited 6 months to see) cause some duche jumped on the stage, i just don't accept that as a valid reason. it's a concert, that stuff happens. maynard is paid very well to sing the songs. be a PRO!

the real bummer is that i took my 14 year old brother to his first real rock show (unless you count lynyrd skynrd), and he had to see this embarassing awkward performance. i played it off after the show, cause hey, he'd never seen the lasers and visuals, and i didn't want him to realize how bad it really was. i'm sure to someone who doesn't know better, it was fine, especially if you're not that familiar with the music. but christ, it made me sick to my stomach when they ended the show after 90 minutes. pure shock really. still can't believe i paid money for that. that's all i've got.it's a major bummer this will be how i always remember tool, cause i don't see them making it out west again this tour, and from the looks of it, i don't see another one after this.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

i've only seen tool twice, in marysville, and then this one. marysville rocked. reno, not so much. in fact, thinking back on all the shows i'ev been to, all the headliners, i've NEVER seen anything like maynard not singing the songs. i've seen singers sick as hell, croaking through songs, the crowd singing along, making it work. this one just didn't work for me, and it's really tainted my whole view of tool to be frankly honest. it was like being at a rehearsal where the singer was just trying to figure out where to stand or something, not interested in the actual singing. tool is a great band, and the music seemed pretty good in reno. lights excellent, danny was tearing it up. but without maynard even trying to sing, it didn't work.

this was easily the worst and most bizarre show i've ever seen by a headlining band in the last 15 years i've been going to shows. sure, some nights are better than others. i understand that. some nights singers take the big notes down an octave. i get that. but he didn't even try, just walked off the stage (schism). skipping the last part of wings (the frikkin climax i'd waited 6 months to see) cause some duche jumped on the stage, i just don't accept that as a valid reason. it's a concert, that stuff happens. maynard is paid very well to sing the songs. be a PRO!

the real bummer is that i took my 14 year old brother to his first real rock show (unless you count lynyrd skynrd), and he had to see this embarassing awkward performance. i played it off after the show, cause hey, he'd never seen the lasers and visuals, and i didn't want him to realize how bad it really was. i'm sure to someone who doesn't know better, it was fine, especially if you're not that familiar with the music. but christ, it made me sick to my stomach when they ended the show after 90 minutes. pure shock really. still can't believe i paid money for that. that's all i've got.it's a major bummer this will be how i always remember tool, cause i don't see them making it out west again this tour, and from the looks of it, i don't see another one after this.
OFFLINE |  
chubbs
05-03-2007, 05:24 PM

Have there been any other stops on this tour where aenema and vicarious weere dropped? just wondering. seems like we might have seen the worst tool show in history for those of us there in reno, cause it seems they picked it up for san diego. i hope some of you listen to a bootleg of this show to hear what we're all talking about.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

Have there been any other stops on this tour where aenema and vicarious weere dropped? just wondering. seems like we might have seen the worst tool show in history for those of us there in reno, cause it seems they picked it up for san diego. i hope some of you listen to a bootleg of this show to hear what we're all talking about.
OFFLINE |  
Mattrogesis
05-04-2007, 06:26 AM

I've seen bootlegs of worse shows, trust me. Shows during the Aenima tour where they were sloppy, maynards voice was cracking, ect ect.
This show was tough to see for me personally, because I saw the Marysville show, which was mindblowing. I've never seen them play so perfectly.
This show could have been good if Maynard would've been singing more, and they hadn't cut it short. From the reviews of San Diego, it sounds like they're back on track, which makes Reno just seem more like a bad night, which is going to happen on the road.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:26 AM   #58
Level 3 - Talker

I've seen bootlegs of worse shows, trust me. Shows during the Aenima tour where they were sloppy, maynards voice was cracking, ect ect.
This show was tough to see for me personally, because I saw the Marysville show, which was mindblowing. I've never seen them play so perfectly.
This show could have been good if Maynard would've been singing more, and they hadn't cut it short. From the reviews of San Diego, it sounds like they're back on track, which makes Reno just seem more like a bad night, which is going to happen on the road.
OFFLINE |  
EGG-MAN's Avatar EGG-MAN
05-04-2007, 07:16 AM

going to the Reno show(front row) and both SD shows i would have to say the Reno show was a fluke off show for the guys. They killed it both nights in SD. And to Carbine the reason Justin was sitting down for Lateralus was because it was that new section they added where Danny decides to grow a few more arms and wail on the drums for 3 minutes straight. He stood up right after they broke back into the song.

-Pushit.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #59

Bincount™: 4

going to the Reno show(front row) and both SD shows i would have to say the Reno show was a fluke off show for the guys. They killed it both nights in SD. And to Carbine the reason Justin was sitting down for Lateralus was because it was that new section they added where Danny decides to grow a few more arms and wail on the drums for 3 minutes straight. He stood up right after they broke back into the song.

-Pushit.
05-04-2007, 07:49 AM

I'd like to chime in, for a third time.

Like a poster before wrote, i completely got a weird vibe from this show - something was up. I, as well as a few hundred others in the back of the REC sat down for about 3 songs...thats how much the vibe was off. I've never seen or heard about anybody ever sit down at a Tool show...but at Reno, a lot of us did. Weird vibes.

From reading the reviews from the SD shows, I'd say they just had a bad night, and don't hold anything against them. I love this fucking band, and hope they make it back to the Westcoast again.

Rock on Tool, rock the fuck on.

PS - Danny Carey is the fucking man. He was on fire this night at Reno.

PPS - The visuals for this show were amazing. Two giant screens on either side of the stage - lots of new imagery (Rosetta Stoned had some cool shit going on), and the new laser show was awesome!
Money can buy a lot of things...for everything else, there's Tool.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #60
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'd like to chime in, for a third time.

Like a poster before wrote, i completely got a weird vibe from this show - something was up. I, as well as a few hundred others in the back of the REC sat down for about 3 songs...thats how much the vibe was off. I've never seen or heard about anybody ever sit down at a Tool show...but at Reno, a lot of us did. Weird vibes.

From reading the reviews from the SD shows, I'd say they just had a bad night, and don't hold anything against them. I love this fucking band, and hope they make it back to the Westcoast again.

Rock on Tool, rock the fuck on.

PS - Danny Carey is the fucking man. He was on fire this night at Reno.

PPS - The visuals for this show were amazing. Two giant screens on either side of the stage - lots of new imagery (Rosetta Stoned had some cool shit going on), and the new laser show was awesome!
Money can buy a lot of things...for everything else, there's Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Triptolemus's Avatar Triptolemus
05-04-2007, 05:15 PM

I've posted a couple times, but I'd like to follow up again. After days of Reflection on the performance, I found answers within Maynard's own words. There's been a lot of talk about MJK's convictions, motivations, methodologies, and overall scope of existence..

Before you point your finger, you should know that Maynard is on record on these matters, and I invite those who are upset with him to (re)-visit Hooker w/ A Penis... and take it to heart. And for old Tool Souls, read 'em again, then play it.

/T
---

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was OGT,
From '92,
The first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
A-dvice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
You should know that
I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
Then you're the fuckin' man as well
So you can

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

MJK
Old 05-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

Before you point your finger...

I've posted a couple times, but I'd like to follow up again. After days of Reflection on the performance, I found answers within Maynard's own words. There's been a lot of talk about MJK's convictions, motivations, methodologies, and overall scope of existence..

Before you point your finger, you should know that Maynard is on record on these matters, and I invite those who are upset with him to (re)-visit Hooker w/ A Penis... and take it to heart. And for old Tool Souls, read 'em again, then play it.

/T
---

Was OGT,
From '92,
The first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
You should know that
I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some
You should know that
I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
So you can

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

MJK
OFFLINE |  
Mattrogesis
05-04-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptolemus View Post

/T
---

Was OGT,
From '92,
The first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
You should know that
I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some
You should know that
I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
So you can

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

MJK
Thats all well and good. I'm the biggest fan there is of this band, but can still recognize when somebody in the band had a horrible night. I'm not talking shit, I'm just pointing it out. It sucks to see, because with Tool, one tends to expect a transcendental experience. I'm glad people enjoyed it.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #62
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Before you point your finger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptolemus View Post

/T
---

Was OGT,
From '92,
The first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
You should know that
I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some
You should know that
I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
So you can

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

MJK
Thats all well and good. I'm the biggest fan there is of this band, but can still recognize when somebody in the band had a horrible night. I'm not talking shit, I'm just pointing it out. It sucks to see, because with Tool, one tends to expect a transcendental experience. I'm glad people enjoyed it.
OFFLINE |  
Triptolemus's Avatar Triptolemus
05-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrogesis View Post
It did suck to see. And I'm in complete agreement with you. Someone in the band did, in fact, have a bad night. The point of my post was to say 'he told you that could happen'.

That which was positive and blessed upon one in their moment is much, much more important than a semantical flaw in performance.

Wasn't it great to see all the TOOL folks inside the casinos? Who here enjoyed playing blackjack at 4AM with TOOL brethren and sisteren? I did. Who here enjoyed communion with their beloved people and had a moment of Real Life? I did, and I'm sure MANY others did as well.

I could say I was sorry to see TOOL have a bad night... I could wish it perfect every time. But that just isn't reality. Reality is, I - and SO many others - had a kick ass time. Denial of this is bullshit... period. For all who have posted the "maynard was a lazy ass/disrespectful ass/inconsiderate ass" bullshit... can you really say you didn't have a good fucking time?

Mattrogesis, your response was succinct. Mine have been somewhat ranty - I believe you Get It more than anyone. Bless - and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

/T
Old 05-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #63
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Before you point your finger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrogesis View Post
It did suck to see. And I'm in complete agreement with you. Someone in the band did, in fact, have a bad night. The point of my post was to say 'he told you that could happen'.

That which was positive and blessed upon one in their moment is much, much more important than a semantical flaw in performance.

Wasn't it great to see all the TOOL folks inside the casinos? Who here enjoyed playing blackjack at 4AM with TOOL brethren and sisteren? I did. Who here enjoyed communion with their beloved people and had a moment of Real Life? I did, and I'm sure MANY others did as well.

I could say I was sorry to see TOOL have a bad night... I could wish it perfect every time. But that just isn't reality. Reality is, I - and SO many others - had a kick ass time. Denial of this is bullshit... period. For all who have posted the "maynard was a lazy ass/disrespectful ass/inconsiderate ass" bullshit... can you really say you didn't have a good fucking time?

Mattrogesis, your response was succinct. Mine have been somewhat ranty - I believe you Get It more than anyone. Bless - and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

/T
OFFLINE |  
Carbine000's Avatar Carbine000
05-05-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG-MAN View Post

-Pushit.
Thanks to Egg-man for that. It could have been the best Lateralus I ever heard. Danny was just like, "Fuck it, Yeah, I can jam for a bit." I must have misinterpreted that as him sitting the whole time cause my third eye and two open wild eyes were focused on different things.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #64

Bincount™: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG-MAN View Post

-Pushit.
Thanks to Egg-man for that. It could have been the best Lateralus I ever heard. Danny was just like, "Fuck it, Yeah, I can jam for a bit." I must have misinterpreted that as him sitting the whole time cause my third eye and two open wild eyes were focused on different things.
OFFLINE |  
spacement's Avatar spacement
05-06-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine000 View Post
I disagree.

This was my 29th Tool show since first seeing them open for Henry Rollins in 1992. You take from it what you will. Framed in negativity? Not for me, I enjoyed the show immensly, even though I knew Maynard was not feeling it. Anyone who's seen this band for any period of time knows that no Tool show is the same. I thought the dude that jumped up on stage during 10,000 Days was a complete ass and the was the only negative moment for me. Maynard hardly sang much and Adam was a bit sloppy during the improv jams between songs. But it was all part of the Tool experience for me. I was thinking to myself during Lateralus, "this is so fucking good they should end the show with this song" and suddenly they did. And I left the show completely satisfied with what I saw, even though it wasn't one of the best Tool shows I ever saw. But I left feeling positive and not framed in negativity. Take from it what you will and remember you never know when you will see Tool for the last time.
S.F. 6/12/92 | Mt. View 6/22/93 | S.F. 12/12/93 | S.F. 11/11/94 | S.F. 10.21.96 | Concord 8/15/97 | S.J. 8/30/98 | Indio 10/10/99 | Red Rocks 8/3/01 | Berkeley 8/10/01 | Berkeley 8/11/01 | Sac. 11/2/01 | Mt. View 11/3/01 | Oakland 7/12/02 | Sac. 7/13/02 | Trenton 8/12/02 | NYC 8/13/02 | Orem 10/12/02 | Col. Springs 10/13/02 | Fresno 11/22/02 | Reno 11/23/02 | Long Beach 11/24/02 | Oakland 5/4/06 | Marysville 9/2/06 | Oakland 9/3/06 | Reno 4/30/07 | S.F. 12/11/07 | SLC 7/19/09 | S.F. 7/12/10 | Sac. 7/13/10
Old 05-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #65
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine000 View Post
I disagree.

This was my 29th Tool show since first seeing them open for Henry Rollins in 1992. You take from it what you will. Framed in negativity? Not for me, I enjoyed the show immensly, even though I knew Maynard was not feeling it. Anyone who's seen this band for any period of time knows that no Tool show is the same. I thought the dude that jumped up on stage during 10,000 Days was a complete ass and the was the only negative moment for me. Maynard hardly sang much and Adam was a bit sloppy during the improv jams between songs. But it was all part of the Tool experience for me. I was thinking to myself during Lateralus, "this is so fucking good they should end the show with this song" and suddenly they did. And I left the show completely satisfied with what I saw, even though it wasn't one of the best Tool shows I ever saw. But I left feeling positive and not framed in negativity. Take from it what you will and remember you never know when you will see Tool for the last time.
S.F. 6/12/92 | Mt. View 6/22/93 | S.F. 12/12/93 | S.F. 11/11/94 | S.F. 10.21.96 | Concord 8/15/97 | S.J. 8/30/98 | Indio 10/10/99 | Red Rocks 8/3/01 | Berkeley 8/10/01 | Berkeley 8/11/01 | Sac. 11/2/01 | Mt. View 11/3/01 | Oakland 7/12/02 | Sac. 7/13/02 | Trenton 8/12/02 | NYC 8/13/02 | Orem 10/12/02 | Col. Springs 10/13/02 | Fresno 11/22/02 | Reno 11/23/02 | Long Beach 11/24/02 | Oakland 5/4/06 | Marysville 9/2/06 | Oakland 9/3/06 | Reno 4/30/07 | S.F. 12/11/07 | SLC 7/19/09 | S.F. 7/12/10 | Sac. 7/13/10
OFFLINE |  
chubbs
05-06-2007, 02:00 PM

there's a youtube clip out there showing mjk skipping verses in 46&2 in reno. just a brief glimpse into what the rest of the show was like. still the most bizarre performance i've ever seen by a headliner. i've seen the who (the very old who), rush, pearl jam, yes, all multiple times (among many other bands), and i've NEVER seen anything close to what happened in reno. the band was on fire at times, but with no singing, it's just too weird to describe. tool is not really a sing-along kind of band. i came to hear the vocals too, not just instrumental tool. if i'd seen the band 15 times, it might have been ok. but that was show 2. show 1 very good, show 2, extremely disappointing. and don't try to tell me those other bands don't have challenging vocals, cause that's just BS. you scream out won't get fooled again when you're 60 and see how it goes.

btw, it's 2007, and this is not a dig at tool, but do we still not have the technology to have anything but red or green lasers? i wonder this after every show. couldn't we see some blue or purple? this is what keeps me up at night. the lights and visuals were the highlight of this show for sure. but when that's the highlight, you're not doing very well.

as you may be able to tell, still really bummed out. i think my little bro liked the lasers though, and maynard sang most of stinkfist, which was his favorite song, so at least he has that. it's probably a good thing he really has no perspective about what a show should be like.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

there's a youtube clip out there showing mjk skipping verses in 46&2 in reno. just a brief glimpse into what the rest of the show was like. still the most bizarre performance i've ever seen by a headliner. i've seen the who (the very old who), rush, pearl jam, yes, all multiple times (among many other bands), and i've NEVER seen anything close to what happened in reno. the band was on fire at times, but with no singing, it's just too weird to describe. tool is not really a sing-along kind of band. i came to hear the vocals too, not just instrumental tool. if i'd seen the band 15 times, it might have been ok. but that was show 2. show 1 very good, show 2, extremely disappointing. and don't try to tell me those other bands don't have challenging vocals, cause that's just BS. you scream out won't get fooled again when you're 60 and see how it goes.

btw, it's 2007, and this is not a dig at tool, but do we still not have the technology to have anything but red or green lasers? i wonder this after every show. couldn't we see some blue or purple? this is what keeps me up at night. the lights and visuals were the highlight of this show for sure. but when that's the highlight, you're not doing very well.

as you may be able to tell, still really bummed out. i think my little bro liked the lasers though, and maynard sang most of stinkfist, which was his favorite song, so at least he has that. it's probably a good thing he really has no perspective about what a show should be like.
OFFLINE |  
junior
05-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post

btw, it's 2007, and this is not a dig at tool, but do we still not have the technology to have anything but red or green lasers? i wonder this after every show. couldn't we see some blue or purple? this is what keeps me up at night.
Had they played Vicarious and Aenema you'd have seen blue and purple lasers, along with a few other colours. Lateralus has yellow, and I think Wings I&II have some other colours (including blue).
The 2 main lasers behind the stage are "white light" lasers and are capable of just about any colour.
Green is the most perceivable colour for the human eye. That's why it gets used the most; it sticks out better. Red is actually kinda hard to see.
If you saw one of the shows at the Pearl, there were only green lasers because the "White Light" lasers require water cooling and more power than was available there.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #67
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post

btw, it's 2007, and this is not a dig at tool, but do we still not have the technology to have anything but red or green lasers? i wonder this after every show. couldn't we see some blue or purple? this is what keeps me up at night.
Had they played Vicarious and Aenema you'd have seen blue and purple lasers, along with a few other colours. Lateralus has yellow, and I think Wings I&II have some other colours (including blue).
The 2 main lasers behind the stage are "white light" lasers and are capable of just about any colour.
Green is the most perceivable colour for the human eye. That's why it gets used the most; it sticks out better. Red is actually kinda hard to see.
If you saw one of the shows at the Pearl, there were only green lasers because the "White Light" lasers require water cooling and more power than was available there.
OFFLINE |  
spacement's Avatar spacement
05-07-2007, 03:10 PM

They were using blue lasers during Wings and they had green, red and amber during Lateralus. And Junior was right, if they had made it to the last two songs, we would've got more colors and different patterns going with the lasers. I love the lasers.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #68
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

They were using blue lasers during Wings and they had green, red and amber during Lateralus. And Junior was right, if they had made it to the last two songs, we would've got more colors and different patterns going with the lasers. I love the lasers.
OFFLINE |  
Tristan.W's Avatar Tristan.W
05-09-2007, 01:40 AM

Funny how a lot of people dwell on the negative parts of the show and fail to see how great the show truly was.
I don't know why it was somewhat cut short compared to some of the other shows maybe they had a plain to catch i dunno but I was really happy with it being my first Tool show (hopefully not the last).
Old 05-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

Funny how a lot of people dwell on the negative parts of the show and fail to see how great the show truly was.
I don't know why it was somewhat cut short compared to some of the other shows maybe they had a plain to catch i dunno but I was really happy with it being my first Tool show (hopefully not the last).
OFFLINE |  
Mattrogesis
05-09-2007, 06:39 AM

It was an "OFF" show for some people, probably people that have seen them many, many times and have experienced much better performances. For me, it was mainly just the lack of vocals that really was a bummer. Tool is a balance of 4 elements, and when you take one out, it is sorely missed and you can FEEL it immediately, if you are tapped into the show like I was. I wasn't drunk or high or anything. I was just there to observe and feel something. Musically, it was just fine. They were really tight for it being the 3rd show on the tour.
I've been in bands and performed live before. There is a reason why Tool plays to sold-out venues every night they play. It isn't easy to come off sounding so amazing. I give them all the credit in the world for what they've accomplished. Its actually way more difficult than it even seems. And yes, there will be OFF nights, and now that I think about it, there's no reason for Maynard to make a comment about his lack of singing or not feeling good. It would just take away from those that didn't even notice. They did the best they could that night.
They are still the best musical group on the planet.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:39 AM   #70
Level 3 - Talker

It was an "OFF" show for some people, probably people that have seen them many, many times and have experienced much better performances. For me, it was mainly just the lack of vocals that really was a bummer. Tool is a balance of 4 elements, and when you take one out, it is sorely missed and you can FEEL it immediately, if you are tapped into the show like I was. I wasn't drunk or high or anything. I was just there to observe and feel something. Musically, it was just fine. They were really tight for it being the 3rd show on the tour.
I've been in bands and performed live before. There is a reason why Tool plays to sold-out venues every night they play. It isn't easy to come off sounding so amazing. I give them all the credit in the world for what they've accomplished. Its actually way more difficult than it even seems. And yes, there will be OFF nights, and now that I think about it, there's no reason for Maynard to make a comment about his lack of singing or not feeling good. It would just take away from those that didn't even notice. They did the best they could that night.
They are still the best musical group on the planet.
OFFLINE |  
3rdi
05-12-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenLemur View Post
Even though maynard wasn't ready to ruin his voice for the biggest little city in the world, whereas in kansas city, he said "my doctor says i shouldn't sing this song, but if i don't you're all going to bich like a bunch of babies" in reference to the pot, and despite the fact that he omitted himself from all the strenuous/my favorite parts of all but two songs, the look of befuddlement on the drunk headbanger's face when right in two came on, was enough to send me back to SF happy.
He was understandably mad when the reno crowd erupted in deafening applause not at 10,00 days--a song that in six shows this year, i've only seen one other time--but for the idiot that i was praying for adam to kick in the face.

Imagine you created a piece of art, showcasing the purest expression of human emotion you know how to depict, and a dude pisses all over it while a crowd of thousands cheers wildly for that lost soul--oh yeah, and the work of art is about your recently decesased mother.
In retrospect, we're lucky they even came on stage.
With all due respect to JMK, and MJK'S loss, I just don't buy the holy reverence/respect in silence bs that people expect during live performances of Wings/10000 Days. The memory of JMK deserves sanctity. But a tune played over and over for thousands of people for $$$$ (seemingly MJK's paramount concern these days) deserves no more respect than any other.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenLemur View Post
Even though maynard wasn't ready to ruin his voice for the biggest little city in the world, whereas in kansas city, he said "my doctor says i shouldn't sing this song, but if i don't you're all going to bich like a bunch of babies" in reference to the pot, and despite the fact that he omitted himself from all the strenuous/my favorite parts of all but two songs, the look of befuddlement on the drunk headbanger's face when right in two came on, was enough to send me back to SF happy.
He was understandably mad when the reno crowd erupted in deafening applause not at 10,00 days--a song that in six shows this year, i've only seen one other time--but for the idiot that i was praying for adam to kick in the face.

Imagine you created a piece of art, showcasing the purest expression of human emotion you know how to depict, and a dude pisses all over it while a crowd of thousands cheers wildly for that lost soul--oh yeah, and the work of art is about your recently decesased mother.
In retrospect, we're lucky they even came on stage.
With all due respect to JMK, and MJK'S loss, I just don't buy the holy reverence/respect in silence bs that people expect during live performances of Wings/10000 Days. The memory of JMK deserves sanctity. But a tune played over and over for thousands of people for $$$$ (seemingly MJK's paramount concern these days) deserves no more respect than any other.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply