opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/10/06 - East Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/10/06 - East Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena

Just got back from my first Tool concert. Since it was my first I obviously can't compare it to anything from their previous tours, but I thought it was an amazing show. The place was pretty packed, save for some empty seats in the upper tiers. I really liked Isis' set, thought it was pretty short.

The setlist was the same as the others, highlights for me were Lateralus, Rosetta Stoned and Ænema. The light show was on point too. The band played really well. Maynard was didn't say much until mid way through the show something to the effect of

Cleveland were louder

*crowd erupts*

Well Cleveland WAS louder... until now (my edit)

Sorry, I'm on acid

Ant-acid that is. I've been having some stomach problems (not exact).

I'm a poor reviewer so I'll leave the rest to other posters. Great show!

Last edited by Dead Flag Blues; 10-06-2006 at 08:41 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

see last 10 show's set list, still a great show
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
not my cup of tea

Bincount™: 4643

Wow, another amazing show. I got a totally different perspective being in the stands as opposed to on the floor at camden last week, its amazing how much of the video/lights you miss when you are on the floor. I don't get how none of them fall down or go into seizures standing on that stage but its pretty awesome. I can't wait to be back on the floor tomorrow night tho because I think being UNDER the lazers is even better...oh and I don't think maynards vocals were 100% there tonight but was still pretty awesome, it mightve been the venues fault, cant tell...oh and can anyone tell me why people talk during wings for marie??? ruins the whole experience....just because it isnt HEAVY doesnt mean its an ok for you to ignore the band and talk. but anyway, still fuckin awesome and I thought I'd write this while my ears were still ringing.

Jesus was a Jew.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

amazing freakin show.

Same setlist as previous shows. this was my 2nd show. I had great seats, section 108, row 3. The chick in front of me was insane and acting like a fool, but hey, if she enjoyed it...thats cool with me. I just hope she's not in front of me for tomorrows show.

Adam was his usual stationary self. Amazing playing though

Justin was awesome...headbanging, really into it. Sat for 10k days, but that was cool

Danny- what can I say, the guy is genius

Maynard- ON POINT!!! Voice was amazing, very engaging and seemed more into the crowd than the 1st show I saw (in May at City Center)

Overall- the best concert I've EVER been to. The lasers during 10k days rocked, as well as during Lateralus with the lights, and Vicarious too. I can't even pick a favorite song because they were all amazing. I was in heaven the entire time, and I'm still on a high.

When he walked onto the stage he said "Jersey! How YOU doin?" and the crowd cheered. He said it once more during the show.
crowd cheering
"Cleveland was louder"
crowd cheers even louder
"Cleveland WAS louder. Until now."

"Don't listen to me, I'm on acid. Antacid that is, I'm having stomach problems"

"New York tomorrow. Then it's over. Peace Out"

I loved the group hug at the end. Really showed how tight they are and there was a lot of fan appreciation at the end with Danny throwing his sticks, gatorade, and frisbees. Maynard also threw his water bottles.

Again, I can't say enough how awesome this show was, and I can't wait for tomorrow night!!!!!
PNC - 7/18- FRONT ROW BABY!!!!!!!
www.myspace.com/lipstick21
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
hookers and peanuts

Bincount™: 5403

Another great fucking Tool experience.

Saw them at the Camden Ampitheater show last week...arena tonight.

The sound was better at the ampitheater...the light show is much better indoors.

Maynards voice was a little off tonight...his voice cracked during the first few notes of 'The Pot'...but other than a few voice issues (very few) he was extremely animated.

Danny, Justin, and Adam..simply tight and amazing as usual.

Great crowd vibe...no assholes around me. And we WERE fucking louder than Cleveland I bet...I couldn't believe how loud the crowd was and for how long we sustained that volume during their sit down...thats why Maynard said "until now"...consider that a compliment from him.

Oh...did anybody else think ISIS was awesome tonight? Their setlist was so much better than last weeks. Definitely going to check them out more.

Spiral out...
Old 10-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Just got back from my first Tool show and I must say it was awesome!! Just to get one thing out of the way though, the sound was way too loud for my tastes, the vocals distorted and the guitars lost some of their subtelty just from being so darn loud. I really loved the impact of the live experience and actually seeing all the guys in person, but I could only follow the melodies/riffs from knowing them from the records.
That out of the way, the band/show was AMAZING, they were super on today. Especially Adam, who moved around the stage much more than he usually does and even started swaying and looking around at the crowd many times. He also added little sqwaks and noise, and some extra parts here and there, especially at the end of Lateraulus (?) where he busted out an all new riff while danny and justin went nuts for about 30 secs. Then at the end of the show he grabbed his guitar by the neck and waved it around, smiling broadly. For a guy who has played whole shows seemingly mummified, this was really special and showed that he was really into it today. Justin and danny are constants, always on top. Justin played with the bassline in 10k days a little one point, which was cool. Amd danny is ridiculous!!
Maynard was the way he seems to have been lately, not talking much but very into it and moving alot (the whole shtick in RS was hillarious) and he had a couple of great lines.
Before Lateralus:
"Cleveland was louder!"
(boos) and then a pause
"Dont listen to me, I'm just on acid"

So basically it was amazing, and I certainly got to see a unique show despite the predictable setlist and I would certainly look forward to seeing them agian on the next US leg.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Location: Somehwere between the armpit of New York and the Crotch of Philadelphia
Bincount™: 26

People, please....He said Pittsburgh was louder. Until tonight, not Cleveland.

BTW: anyone else catch Justin come out for the last ISIS song?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

amazing show, couldn't have asked for more.... these guys are amazing musicians, and they proved it once again tonight.... Highlights were 46, jambi, lateralus, and vicarious i thought. I love how in the zone these guys get when they play. Sound was surprisingly good for a large arena. I waited for this for five years and they did not disappoint... thanks tool
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

HOLY FUCK ...thats all i got....wow, good is a mild word for what this show was.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuphat View Post
People, please....He said Pittsburgh was louder. Until tonight, not Cleveland.
Sorry, but it was Cleveland... Not that it matters. I distinctly remember thinking that my sister who lives there should have gone to that show. Sounds like the whole "XXXXX was louder" taunt has been going on for the duration of the tour. Pretty cool, actually. It quickly became very charged in there afterwards.

My first Tools show. I was very impressed with the band's ability to reproduce the tight sound with which I am familiar from the studio recordings all the while appearing to feel it the entire time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

My 7th show, and once again, Danny, Maynard, Adam, and Justin did NOT disappoint! From 108 (Press section) you could see and hear everything! Would have liked to seen a slight deviation in the set list (with The Grudge SOMEWHERE in there), but on the whole was thouroughly pleased. Don't ever remember Continental sounding so good (I did have 12db ear plugs). 10K and Wings DEFINITE HIGHLIGHT. Danny Carey>>>NOT OF THIS WORLD!! Justin rocked out! Even came out to Jam w/Isis for a song, prior to taking stage. Adam the most I've seen him animated...Kudos! Pleasant vibe all night...even hooked a fellow Tool Fan up with a free ticket! Hoping for a Spring tour in NYC. PEACE...Time to go to bed. See you on the other side
Old 10-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 25

Amazing

See ya guys tomorrow =D
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

my first tool show and it definitly met my expectations

section 118, row 18....not terrible

i couldnt believe how many people were there but i also couldnt believe how many people just stand around at a rock concert...in my section i was like the only one headbanging or anything...

anyway...the band themselves were awesome. not as animated as other bands i have seen but then again none of the other bands are anything close to tool

cant wait for tomorrow night...from personal experience new york shows > new jersey shows
Old 10-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Fourth Tool show this tour...THE BEST. Why? Because all of the sudden Maynard decided to let loose. Did any one else notice this? In the other three shows I saw this year, he sang softer, didn't engage his angry voice, held the mic far away from his mouth, and i assumed he wanted to preserve his voice for the other 50 shows he had to do. But tonight all of the sudden he started sounding precisely like the record. I think maybe there was some family members or friends in the house he wanted to show his utmost talent to.

MAYNARD WAS ON TASK TONIGHT! I don't know how anyone coulld hear it different. Absolutely unbelievable. Best song maybe 46 n 2, but I can barely pick because they were all good.

I kinda missed the big screens playing the videos, but the lazors made up for it.

Hey, anyone think he meant it when he said he was on acid?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

WOW!! I was in Sec 208 Row12 and I couldnt believe how clear the sound was. I have been to Continental, and the acoustics are usually crappy but every instrument especially the drums were crisp and clear. I was the guy with the white Tshirt that said TOOL TIME (home improvement style) I was definetly into the music and I stood the whole time except Wings/10,000 days (incredible live).

I got there just in time for ISIS and went into the side entrance for the 200 level and bingo 208 was directly in front of me. This also meant that it was very easy to exit the arena. Show was over at 11:05 and I got home at 11:42.

Danny was awesome but everyone already knows that. Adam was very crisp and not too loud. Justin was very into his jamming, he would continuously move back and forth or stomp. In some songs(Rossetta Stoned) his bass was so powerful I could FEEL every note! Maynard James Keenan is the man (ON ACID) very powerful voice, I had to sing along, but i couldnt sing over him and didnt want to. He has some killer moves especially during JAMBI he's a cowboy?

That moment after 10000 days was great cuz everyone wanted them to continue to play but they took there small break and then the lighters hit and the place looked like a Xmas tree. OH and to previus posters, the visuals were artistic not gaudy.

I really dont know how im going to fall asleep tonight.

9/28/06 Camden
10/06/06 East Rutherford
7/18/07 Holmdel
2/01/12 East Rutherford
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

This was my 5th tool show, third on this tour. I thought this show was, as usual, very good. I was fortunate enough to find a floor ticket on ebay for a non scalped price. I flew out here yesterday from portland, oregon to come see this show and long island's. I anticipated seeing wings' pt1 & 2 since the album release. The tracks are so amazingly thought out and layered. I was hoping they would've played them at the Gorge in Washington, or Vancouver earlier this leg. I really liked how they used the lasers almost as a projection screen in wings, with the smoke and all. It worked really well with the clouds, storming and raining effects in the song.

I have to say that the extended version of Schism really blows me away everytime i hear it live. The addition is so subtle, yet so drastic that it really exemplifies the mood at that point in the song. Great job guys! It gives me that Tool feeling and makes my hair stand on edge.

As usual, Lateralus was fucking amazing live, being my favorite song of theirs.....

I liked how much the crowd got into the music tonight. There are always dumb shits everywhere you go, but tonight the percentages seemed to drop and I liked that.

Lastly, I will never take a cab from Manhatten to jersey ever again........

SEE YOU IN A FEW HOURS AT NASSAU!!!!!

SO:KG:A!
09-30-02 Anchorage, AK, 05-02-06 Seattle, WA, 08-22-06 Vancouver, BC, 08-27-06 George, WA, 10-06-06 East Rutherford, NJ, 10-07-06 Wantagh, NY, 12-01-07 Victoria, BC, 12-04-07 Everett, WA, 12-05-07 Portland, OR, 12-07-07 Spokane, WA, 12-08-07 Nampa, ID, 12-11-07 San Francisco, CA, 07-10-10 Seattle, WA, 07-12-10 San Francisco, CA, 07-13-10 Sacramento, CA, 01-28-12 Boston, MA, 02-08-12 Duluth, GA
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

I got tickets in section 120 row 10 this afternoon. This was my 4th tool show and the best one. The sound from where i was sitting was very clear and maynard's vocals were easy to hear and well balanced with the rest of the mix. Visuals were sick. WINGS/10,000 DAYS!! I was a little upset to see so many people around me sitting down but w/e. I'm tired my throat hurts and ill see ya later today at NASSAU COLISEUM!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 11:30 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

well it's a tool marathon for me.. saw them in camden last week, saw them in rutherford tonight, seeing them in nassau tomorrow.. woohoo.. these guys just are incapable of dissappointing.. each show i get closer and closer, tomorrow.. THE FLOOR!

actually i was a little concerned at first about how my seats would be (sec 213 row E), but i'm actually blown away by how good the view is.. the angle of the seating is extreme (i was thinking if someone got pushed over 3 feet, they'd have a long fall).. it just sucks when the people all the way in the front have to stand every single second (even during intermission), when they have an awesome view sitting too.. but it's a concert, what can you do..

when the show first started, i was like, wow this sounds no where nearly as good as it did in camden, but i dunno if i got used to it or they tweaked it, i soon forgot about the sound.. the reason i criticize the sound is when tool started up w/ stinkfist, the purposeful feedback halfway through the song caused almost everyone around ot me cover their ears (well not me or my gf).. i was rocking out the entire time..

man i wish i had a video camera or something, cuz overall the concert was some serious ass kicking experience.. wish i could keep that more than just in my memory

i saw isis in camden last week but this time thanks to chinatown traffic, i didn't make it to see isis at all.. i don't suppose someone actually has isis's set list?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 01:29 AM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

another amazing show! same setlist, but I think that's the idea. I'd expect more variety during the spring tour... most people aren't going to every single city, so for those of us who make a couple of shows in a row that happen within close proximity of each other should know to expect the same set and not be dissapointed with it. the lateralus tour was no different in this aspect.

i was very dissapointed with the sound quality in wilkes barre and was hoping to replace my most recent tool experience with a much better appreciation for the sound, and I got exactly what I wanted. Perhaps my center ice seat at wilkes barre wasn't a good location for the sound but I heard that venue usually has shitty sound to begin with.

so I wanna give a big thanks to my new friend Gary who totally hooked me up at the last minute with all of the tickets I needed, I will definitely be in touch.

section 215, row 12, seat 3 tonight, which was off to the side of where adam stands, upper tier, directly in line across the stage, perfectly centered between maynard and danny to my left, then a little behind adam and justin...

the best view I ever had of Danny for sure, and of course, since he is the man, without a doubt it was a real treat to catch his most killer demonstrations only a god of drumming could evoke...

I couldn't be happier with the way the band played once again tonight, and maynard sounded pretty good and was more talkative than wilkes barre.

Did anyone get to meet any band members after the show? I didn't get to read all the reviews yet, but I know people were getting to meet some of them before, but the only buses I saw, as I were told, was for the crew...

what a sweet fucking show...

and for everyone who wants a different set, I would guess that next spring will probably be more of a variety of all of their albums, plus the new songs from 10,000 days might have more refined stage theatrics... well the whole production might get better theatrics like the lateralus tour... that's my guess anyway, it seems logical to me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 05:53 AM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Location: Somehwere between the armpit of New York and the Crotch of Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslacker View Post
Sorry, but it was Cleveland... Not that it matters. I distinctly remember thinking that my sister who lives there should have gone to that show. Sounds like the whole "XXXXX was louder" taunt has been going on for the duration of the tour. Pretty cool, actually. It quickly became very charged in there afterwards.

My first Tools show. I was very impressed with the band's ability to reproduce the tight sound with which I am familiar from the studio recordings all the while appearing to feel it the entire time.
No, man. In Camden he said Pittsburgh was louder...waited, then said Cleveland was louder. Last night he only said Pittsburgh.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:59 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Well this was my third Tool show so I can compare it to the others. Let me just get the comparisons out of the way first; there weren't any. This hands down beat every other tour I've seen them on, yes, Lateralus included which is a small miracle indeed since that was previously the best show I've ever been to. I didn't mind that the set list was the same as recent cities have gotten. Who gives a shit? I also didn't mind that the set list wasn't particularly long; in the world of Tool, by now, you have to be accustomed to accepting quality over quantity. Bad mouthing this amazing show for having a small set list would be like saying Dark Side of the Moon sucks because it's only nine songs long.

Anyway, anyway... row 128, looking right down at the stage, having a full view of the light show as well as the band. I was more than happy with my seats because I could tell that other sections couldn't see the light show in its full splendor. Normally I glance around saying "I wish I was sitting over there..." but not tonight, at all.

Continental was packed solid. I don't think I saw an empty available seat in the house. And let me compliment the caliber of women at the show. There were some models there last night. Jesus. (my girlfriend included... precautionary measure)

The best thing about the show to me was the sound. Even Isis sounded great, and I'm not particularly a fan of theirs. Sitting in row 128, it sounded as though we were seated up front. I can't understand the criticisms regarding the sound at all. If there was an audio fuck-up, I didn't spot it and I was mostly sitting down, just taking everything in.

Maynard did say "Clevland" and saw what happens when you challenge Jersey/New York to a "who's crazier" contest. Maynard was way more animated than he was at the other shows I've attended and I thought that the during the break, when the band sat down to just soak in the energy of the audience, was really cool. Maynard's still a funny motherfucker.

As for the performance... the band did not miss a step in any section of the performance. The voice box solo in "Jambi" sounded identicle to the CD and the crowd cheered Adam like crazy. "Wings/10K Days" was brilliant, and that's when the lights really peaked. Most people in my row sat down for it so I was able to just take it in.

For my money however, "Rosetta Stoned" stole the show. Yes, the intro was severely garbled. Couldn't hear a word Maynard said, but all of a sudden, out of nowhere, you heard "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" loud and clear which made up for it. Anyway, those who say the song doesn't hold up in concert do not know what they're talking about. The "overwhelmed as one would be..." section of the song held up amazingly well in concert. The girls in front of me who were dancing to every song were a little confused about what to do during Rosetta. They were dancing to some spots then abruptly stopping. Funny stuff.

Danny's drum solo at the end of "Lateralus" vibrated the whole fucking arena. I kept thinking someone was knocking into my chair because of how much it shook. "Aenema" is the perfect closer, too. The crowd was nuts for the chorus.

All in all, an amazing show, an amazing night and I look forward to seeing the boys again. Best Tool show I've been to and maybe the best concert I've ever been to, period. 9.5/10
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

So last night was the first tool show i had ever been to. And let me start by saying that among all the tons of concerts i've been to, last night was the best and most intense live performance i've ever seen. everything was so powerful and beautiful, i couldn't believe it.

my seats at first weren't too terrible, but they weren't amazing. i was section 231 and it was kind of a weird angle, but we had a great view of a danny. however, in between isis and tool an employee of the arena was walking around giving out tickets that didn't sell for the show, and we ended up getting tickets for section 118, 10th row. we had a perfect view of maynard and danny, and it was amazing.

every song was so on that i couldn't believe it. the additions made to stinkfist and schism were absolutely ridiculous, my jaw was on the floor during schism. aenema was definetly the highlight of the night for me though, the whole crowd got so into it during the chorus and i've never rocked that hard before in my life. hearing all those complex songs played live was such an experience. the visuals were awesome too, although i wish they would've had the big screens like they did in videos i've seen from the lateralus tour, the light show was fucking great.

great crowd vibe, everyone around me was really cool and seemed to be having a great time. all in all, amazing show, and i'll be experiencing it again tonight in new york, can't wait.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 1

2nd show. Liked this one more. Section 5 row C. Good seats to stand on. Hope i didn't piss anyone off too much! BUUUTTTT
FUCCCKINNNGGGGG

WHOAAAAA BLOWN AWAY. SOUND WAS SO FULL. I was surrounded by sound and crazy lights. Maynard was pretty energetic. He sounded wonderful. Danny sounded...well....needless to say, you know how he sounded. Justin was great with his hair all over the place. Adam was really sweet. He was so clear! Over all, it was excellent, and people are saying spring tour-and I HOPE YOU AREN'T JUST SAYING THAT-because that would be amazingly amazing on many different levels.

and gotdamn. Was that a lot of fun. I feel so lucky.
but I couldn't stay long.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 07:41 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

"HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!"

This show was Fucking SICK! I saw them at City Center in the Spring (got free tix after just waiting outside the venue, we were comped by the band....4th row!) That was the most amazing experience for me.

But this show was life changing for me, sitting section 110 - row 20 - with the lights, the energy etc... This was heaven....

(If anyone remembers seeing a guy writhing around like snake with his shirt off - that was me.) The rest of the crowd barely moved at all - and the pit people were sitting - Fucking Lame.

Anyway, Tool was clearly sharper this time around and this was one of the best concert's I have ever been to.

Tool is our generations PINK FLOYD.

They were so tight, vocals amazing (except poor Maynard's voice crack at the beginning of The Pot) Wings and 10k days were so amazing.

Met up w/ some cool guys from Neptune NJ - thanks for the beers and spliff - see ya on Myspace.... myspace.com/kencomedy
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

The boys from wine country do it again. absolutely breathtaking. best show i have ever seen, and i have seen alot. the band was tight tight tight. not a bad song or a dull moment.
the opening band was kind of ridiculous. kind of dissapointing. i dont know how they landed a gig opening for the worlds foremost alternative rock band but god bless em for being lucky.
i would have liked to hear something...ANYTHING off of opiate but i knew that was wishful thinking.
maybe next time......
still the best show i have ever seen. they never cease to amaze
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

PERFECT SHOW. PERFECT CROWD. GREAT ENERGY, SOUND, AND LIGHTING/EFFECTS. SETLIST WAS PERFECT. GREAT MIX OF OLD AND NEW. 90% OF THE NEW ALBUM WAS PLAYED. UNBELIEVABLE. MAYNARDS VOCALS WERE LOUD, CLEAR... AND HE SOUNDED PHENONIMAL. GREAT SHOW. SEEING THEM TODAY AT NASSAU. SAW THEM LAST WEEK IN NJ... INCREDIBLE SO FAR. GETS BETTER EVERYTIME!
Do what it takes to step through.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #28
there's a cloud
but the water remains calm

Bincount™: 3180

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfela1 View Post
Fourth Tool show this tour...THE BEST. Why? Because all of the sudden Maynard decided to let loose. Did any one else notice this? In the other three shows I saw this year, he sang softer, didn't engage his angry voice, held the mic far away from his mouth, and i assumed he wanted to preserve his voice for the other 50 shows he had to do. But tonight all of the sudden he started sounding precisely like the record. I think maybe there was some family members or friends in the house he wanted to show his utmost talent to.

MAYNARD WAS ON TASK TONIGHT! I don't know how anyone coulld hear it different. Absolutely unbelievable. Best song maybe 46 n 2, but I can barely pick because they were all good.

I kinda missed the big screens playing the videos, but the lazors made up for it.

Hey, anyone think he meant it when he said he was on acid?
I 100% agree. He was into the crowd, the music. He jammed out and danced for the like whole show. It was great. I was at the Wilkes Barre show earlier this week and Maynard acted as if he didn't want to be there so tonight's treat was way more interesting. The did a bewildering job. I am still in awe over it all!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 4th Tool show and I'm still impressed everytime I see them. Different stage setup (Not used to the video screens not being on the sides of the stage), great setlist, band was on point and the crowd was great. The setlist was great. Loved hearing the majority of 10,000 Days live. Isis wasn't that bad of an opening act either. But again a fantastic show
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Incredible show. The sound and acoustics compared to May's City Center show? Uncomparable. Although I didn't get a chance to witness the stage visuals, the sound up close is unbelievably overwhelming. In fact, my buddy who is an epileptic couldn't handle it... if I didn't get him out of there when I did he would have had a seizure. He almost did. Highlights for me were Lateralus and Schism. Did anybody notice the fkup at the beginning of Vicarious? Maynard looked pretty pissed off at Justin... signaling his 1 finger at him over and over (hidden within his dances) as if he had missed his que. Overall their best show i've seen (5+)...
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #31
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

I was sitting right in front of a luxury box with Tool VIP's (or so their stickers said) got a chance to chat with two dudes, I dont know what their relationship to the band is but they said how cool all the band members are in "real life" dont act like rock stars at all, also we talked about Coachella and how cool that whole experience was. Also met some dude to the right of me with his g/f and another girl who said he reads the messageboards, anyway if you are reading this- yeah bro it was a good show.

Anyway, this was my 5th show this year. Soundwise it was the best sounding of the 5 maybe with exception of Coachella. The mix was just right and it wasnt too loud if you were wearing your plugs obviously...but gone was that boomy overpowering base that was so distracting during warm up tour, and vocals were clearly audible even on the Rosetta Stoned megaphone parts. Band was tight except for a few tiny mistakes by Adam(which we notice because we know the songs so well), Danny had many chances to shine, I liked the little tweaking with the arrangements of the songs, even though the set lists havent changed much, it was still a different experience every time.

Not mentioned yet at the end Maynard said "whats done is done, New York tomorrow, then its over" (or at least thats how I remember it).

Isis was all right, loud soft hard atmospheric they do a bit of everything. I would definitely put them on a list of bands to look out for when they come to town (btw they are playing NYC sunday night in a club somewhere in midtown).

Last edited by GeorgeinNY; 10-08-2006 at 08:00 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #32
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 13

Long time Tool listener, first time Tool concert-goer and I wish I had not waited so long. For those that have said that you have not experienced Tool until you have witnessed them live, I now know what you mean.

First, the opening act. As someone who has not followed Isis too closely, I liked them more and more as their performance went on. Justin joined them for the final song. Unfortunately, not too many people were in the building to see them.

By the time Tool took the stage, it was a packed venue. Maynard started by saying something like "Jersey, how ya doin'?" with the mobster accent.

Then, right into Stinkfist, which sent the crowd into a frenzy with its flashing visual display and an audio assault lead by Adam's crisp sounding guitar. The extended middle part threw some sing-alongers off, which was amusing.

Next, The Pot, and needless to say, a familiar smell permeated the venue. Also high, was Maynard's voice.

Then a Tool Standard, 46 & 2, and Danny's drumming at the bridge was spectacular.

Jambi sounded much better in concert and Justin's bass playing was impressive.

The sped up middle part for Schism added a nice contrast.

The epics Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Wings/10k Days were greeted favorably by the die-hards, but caused some more casual viewers to sit down.

The members sat down during the break, to cheering and lighters.

Lateralus, took things up a notch, especially visually. All audience members that had previously mellowed out, were back into it.

Vicarious, sounded much better live with its seamless instrumental transitions and Maynard's voice appearing stronger.

Finally, Aenima, a Tool Classic to complete the Tool concert experience.

The members saluted the cheering crowd and exited the stage. I exited the venue with ringing ears and an experience I'll never forget.

I was very satisfied with my location. I was in section 106-row 23 (4 rows from the back) and had an unobstructed, diagonal view of the stage (on Adam's side). I was high enough up to see the stage projections and the sound came in LOUD and clear (emphasizing loud).

The crowd was a mix of different ages with the prevailing group being 16-24 year old, nerdy males (like myself, but I'm really 26). I saw one boy that must have been in kindergarten, a few father-son duos, and some attractive looking females as well. Amongst the amusing individuals moving about was a guy dancing up and down the aisle during the entire show.

To anyone who is considering attending a Tool concert in the future, I highly recommend it. There may not be many more opportunities left. The best concert I've ever been to, and my friend who is more of a casual fan said the same thing. I'll be seeing them again the next time they are in the area.

There is alot more that can be said, but I will leave that to others for now.

Last edited by dice5199; 10-07-2006 at 10:32 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first concert EVAR, and im 17, seeing my fav band TOOL perform spectaculary is euphoric to the n'th degree, the energy was vibrant yet i found some people were not too into it
Old 10-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Pros and Cons

Pros:

1. Tool Rocks Reguardless
2. Light show was amazing

Cons:

1. The sound was a muddy as hell. I was in section 101 row 24 dead center. I thought they would be the perfect seast sound wise, but I couldn't make shit out.

2. I walked out with serious contact high. There were about 8 people smoking joints all around me. And I don't like getting high anymore it makes me paranoid.

3. then there were the cigarettes, everyone that wasn't smoking pot were smoking cigarettes. not only were my lungs burning, MY EYES WERE BURNING!

4. T-shirts were $43 and there was a shirt for $60. FUCK THAT you can keep them.

Next time I see them will be an outdoor venue, I don't care how far I have to travel. And I'll go to a ticket broker and pay for close seats, I don't give a shit if there $300. I'd rather spent a lot on tickets than a shirt.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Second show...caught them at MSG on the Lateralus tour. I liked MSG better ONLY because of the seating on the floor...there weren't any. I'm not really a mosh guy only because I like to really take in the show and what they have to offer which is alot...The seats on the floor were zip-tied together and that kind of restricts your experience. Still a great show...lazers and lights and all...I was fortunate enough to at least get a picure up close of one of Danny's drum heads that some lucky bastard I met in the bathroom caught..he mentioned that football practice paid off..Also it's kinda funny that we haven't learned that there's a breakdown in Stinkfist when they do it live and we all kept singing the "I'll keep digging" part when Maynard stops and the breakdown begins. They're awesome what else can I say...I had a sick time! Keep it up boys!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinNY View Post
Not mentioned yet at the end Maynard said "whats done is done, New York tomorrow, then its over" (or at least thats how I remember it) if anyone has source for this bootleg pm me please.
I definately heard the reference to tonights show in NY, but did not catch the "then it's over" part.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinNY View Post
I was sitting right in front of a luxury box with Tool VIP's (or so their stickers said) got a chance to chat with two dudes, I dont know what their relationship to the band is but they said how cool all the band members are in "real life" dont act like rock stars at all, also we talked about Coachella and how cool that whole experience was. Also met some dude to the right of me with his g/f and another girl who said he reads the messageboards, anyway if you are reading this- yeah bro it was a good show.

Anyway, this was my 5th show this year. Soundwise it was the best sounding of the 5 maybe with exception of Coachella. The mix was just right and it wasnt too loud if you were wearing your plugs obviously...but gone was that boomy overpowering base that was so distracting during warm up tour, and vocals were clearly audible even on the Rosetta Stoned megaphone parts. Band was tight except for a few tiny mistakes by Adam(which we notice because we know the songs so well), Danny had many chances to shine, I liked the little tweaking with the arrangements of the songs, even though the set lists havent changed much, it was still a different experience every time.

Not mentioned yet at the end Maynard said "whats done is done, New York tomorrow, then its over" (or at least thats how I remember it) if anyone has source for this bootleg pm me please.

Isis was all right, loud soft hard atmospheric they do a bit of everything. I would definitely put them on a list of bands to look out for when they come to town (btw they are playing NYC sunday night in a club somewhere in midtown).
I believe he ended with "peace out".
Old 10-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #38
Level 2 - Poster

maynard, to my recollection, said
"New York tomorrow, what's done is done, peace out!"
09-30-02 Anchorage, AK, 05-02-06 Seattle, WA, 08-22-06 Vancouver, BC, 08-27-06 George, WA, 10-06-06 East Rutherford, NJ, 10-07-06 Wantagh, NY, 12-01-07 Victoria, BC, 12-04-07 Everett, WA, 12-05-07 Portland, OR, 12-07-07 Spokane, WA, 12-08-07 Nampa, ID, 12-11-07 San Francisco, CA, 07-10-10 Seattle, WA, 07-12-10 San Francisco, CA, 07-13-10 Sacramento, CA, 01-28-12 Boston, MA, 02-08-12 Duluth, GA
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show, although it was a bit hard to see over all the people heads in front of us, since we were on the floor in Sec 6 (center of the section) right next to the soundboard. The sound was great - with plugs in of course.

I was really into the whole show, but Wings/10,000 Days had me transfixed (with the sound/lasers) - and Lateralus (more lasers) right after. Then my wife (who isn't really a Tool fan - but came along for the ride) tells me she needs to leave or she was going to freak??? I oblige, as much as I really don't want to leave the show - but hey I have seen hundreds of live shows in my lifetime (I am 47 years old) and saw Tool on the Lateralus tour, so you do what you have to for your loved ones.

My wife, even though she was wearing earplugs, said the music was just TOO INTENSE for her (she said it never let up), and the sound pressure was making her dizzy, lightheaded and she couldn't breathe. She was starting to have a lot of anxiety - so we walked out 1/2 way through Vicarious. I was bummed, but I saw 95% of a great show.

The only negative is my wife said she will never see Tool again, so I have to find someone else to go with (as none of my friends even like Tool - or even heard of them!!! - I guess that is what happens when you get older and your friends stay with the music they loved when they were 17 - 24 and never move on, while I continue to love the music from all eras - and keep expanding my horizons with new music as well). Oh, I have been a Tool fan since Undertow came out, yet didn't see them live until the Lateralus tour.

Last edited by MT25; 10-07-2006 at 10:40 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheInfinite View Post
maynard, to my recollection, said
"New York tomorrow, what's done is done, peace out!"
That's exactly what he said. I think he's referring to the end of this leg of the American tour.

Alot of people i know are saying that TOOL is done after this tour. I am hoping that is not true.

They were absolutely incredible last night. Maynard's main mistake was the crack at the beginning of the pot. I had binoculars which really added alot to the show for me.

Great setlist, and Danny is sounding better than ever.

10000 days is amazing.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: