opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/01 - Las Vegas, NV - Theater Under the Stars

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Location: The land of plastic chips and fake pyramids...LasVegas, Nevada
Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/01 - Las Vegas, NV - Theater Under the Stars

Setlist,

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Schisim
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
AEnema

Last edited by chubbyjesus; 09-02-2006 at 08:05 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

came from chicago il to see this show... and god damn was great, cant wait for the chicago and madison wi shows.

i was kinda worried about the venue due to the reviews it has received on here. but i must say this is a great place to see a show
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

I was there. This concert was made and setup to be heard, and not seen.
they played their blues concert in support of their blues album and it sounded really great.

highlight- the speeded up ending of schism

word!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Location: The land of plastic chips and fake pyramids...LasVegas, Nevada

SUBLIME!
This show was awesome! ( even if maynard said the audience response was weak )
Getting into the show was quick and easy. I sat in the south bleacher where you had an unobstructed view of the stage. Isis began around 8:30 ish and were a bit boring. Tool took to the stage sometime around 9pm. The band was tight, although adam seemed to have some timing issues. The sound was PHENOMINAL for an outdoor venue!!!
Alot of people got to see tool this time around for free. The stage was visable from the street and at times would bring traffic on paradise to a halt. There were alot of people on the street just hanging around so got the show for free, Maynard even made a comment about the freeloaders in the hotel rooms that faced the venue,

Maynardisim;
"How many of you freeloading bastards in the balconies are having sex...
or at least jerking off?"
" Lets see some man boobs!"

There was even a cherry picker parked on paradise with two guys perched up enjoying the show!

More Maynardisims...
( in regards to Rosetta stoned and opiate ) " That song was about a real estate agent from miami with disentary...
So is this one!" ( opiate )

'" Thank you for taking a break from your compulsive gambling and raging alcoholisim to see us!"

The entire set was pretty tight and the audience went fucking nuts for lateralus!
For me, the highlight of the show was Rosetta stoned, I fucking love that song!!!
It was strange to see the reaction on the face of some of the people when Opiate was played. A few people in my section were baffled, I guess they never heard it before.
During the break between Vicarious and aenema, entire venue exploded!! people were stomping their feet on the bleachers and screaming for more. The band gracefully obliged. Vicarious was fantastic! and when aenema began, the roar of the croud was deafening! All in all it was a great experience. I took my wife who has Never seen Tool before, now she can't wait to see them again! OOPS, forgot another maynardisim;
" We will see you in the new year!'' I am counting the days!

Last edited by chubbyjesus; 09-02-2006 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention opiate...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Just got in from the show and my ears are still ringing. Someone has already posted a setlist, so I won't bore you with the same info. Here goes:

The venue -

The Theater Under the Stars at the Hard Rock was an OK place to see a show. My buddy and I got there right before Isis went on and started making our way up front. They had a barrier set up that sort of bisected the floor of the venue and created a lane for the security goons. You could access the other side (which was closer to the stage) while Isis went on, but for some reason, they started denying access to this front area before TOOL took the stage. Weak. There was still plenty of room in the front area. We wound up watching the show from the left-hand bleachers and it worked out OK. I'm getting too old (at 36) to mosh and a huge mosh pit opened up right where we had been standing. It was hot, but that's pretty much to be expected in Vegas, right?

The stage -

TOOl's stage was all white, with a ~6 foot wall that ran along the back. They were projecting images on that screen throughout the concert. They were also projecting the same images on the floor of the stage, which I thought was an interesting touch. As you're looking at the stage, Adam was set up on the far left, Justin on the far right, Danny's drum kit was set up on the back right section of the stage and Maynard sang from an area immediately adjacent to the drum kit, i.e., the back of the stage. I'm not sure if this is a new thing or not. Towards the end of the show, they hoisted a net of lights behind the stage. Maynard was shirtless and mohawked, intermittently wearing a cowboy hat. Danny was wearing a Kobe Bryant Lakers jersey.

The show -

The last time I saw TOOL was in 1996 in Cincinnati (I think my review of that show is still on the website somewhere). I had high expectations for this show and TOOL didn't disappoint. They were as tight and polished as I had expected. My buddy, who has a passing familiarity with the band and has never seen them live, thought the show was outstanding. My only complaint would be that the guitar seemed to be a little over-amplified, burying the vocal mix.

In terms of Maynard's comments, Maynard remarked about a nearby Starbucks early in the show. At one point, he also asked the people (whom he called freeloaders) watching from their room balconies if they were enjoying the show. He asked if any of them were having sex or at least jerking off and asked for some hand motions to that effect. He also thanked the crowd for taking a break from the compulsive gambling and alcoholism. And, a revelation from Maynard - apparently both Rosetta Stoned and Opiate were written about a real estate agent from Miami Beach with dysentery. Who knew?

In terms of the songs:

Jambi was a highlight for me. I was hoping Adam would freelance the talkbox solo, but it was pretty much straight from the album. Still, it kicked ass. If I'm remembering correctly, I believe they opened Jambi with a short tabla solo from Danny.

Maynard sang the last part of Stinkfist with his back to the crowd. I thought that was unusual.

During both Sober and Schism, the video from the song was playing in the background.

Right before Lateralus, Maynard seemed to indicate that that would be the last song, noting that he would see us again around New Year's. We'll have to see if that's true. So they wrapped up Lateralus (which was also great - probably my favorite TOOL song) and they all had a seat on stage, the crowd screaming all the while. I knew that they hadn't done Vicarious yet. So after a brief sit-down, they all resumed their stations and launched into Vicarious after an extended feedback session from Adam and Justin. Maynard did the little piano parts of the song. After Vicarioius, they did Aenima - I had lost track of that one. So basically, Vicarious and Aenima were done as encores.

Again, great show. I hope they come back at the end of the year. My only complaint is that the $35 t-shirt I bought has the front TOOl logo printed off-center. That's annoying.

As always, LEARN TO SWIM.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

I CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE THEY PLAYED OPIATE!!!!!!!!!!!!
absolutly incredible show I was screaming at the top of my lungs TOOL never ceases to amaze me!!!!! Hard rock security were assholes as usual but it was soooooo worth it!!!!!!!!! TOOL KICKS SOOOOO MUCH ASS LIVE!!!!!!!!!!
THANX to the dude that gave me his spare ticket IF YOU ARE READING THIS SEND ME YOUR E-MAIL AND I WILL HIT YOU UP!!!!!!!!!!! THANX TO TOOL FOR PLAYING VEGAS AGAIN!!!!!! I hope at least some of the people who missed the May show saw this one!!!!!!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

Venue ruled, show was badass even though the same setlist, and stage/lights were awesome. The dudes in the cherry pickers were a nice touch. The planes overhead were no big deal at all, and were actually cool to turn and see sometimes. All around good scenery. I had no beef at all with the crowds or security or venue. Packed but hey, you'll have that. I'm tired as shit, I'm going to bed. And the whole meetup thing at the bar, there were lots of Tool people in there anyways so not sure who went but THANKS to the dude who sat next to me and bought me a capt/coke. Hope you enjoyed your first TOOL experience bro!

Can't wait for next time fuckers. Amazing as always. Some of you fuckers in the rooms or across the street better have bootlegged that shit. I need it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

heard the soundcheck around 4pm. they did stinkfist, before that they did small parts of right in two and 10000days.
eventually theyre gonna break it out.
* 8/18/1998-Thomas & Mack Center | UNLV , Las Vegas,NV.
* 8/3/2001-Red Rocks Amphitheater | Morrison, CO.
* 10/11/2002-Coors Events Center | University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
* 5/5/2006-The(original)Joint | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 9/1/2006-Theater Under the Stars | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/27/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/28/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 7/16/2010-Planet Hollywood Theater | Las Vegas, NV.
* 1/15/2012-Mandalay Bay | Las Vegas, NV.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

It's the next day and I'm sitting here thinking of the show. I'm an old fuck at 45 and was just off to Justins side of the Mosh pit. Mosh pits at a TOOL show really blow. All you fucking speed metal asswipes need to stay home next time. The show was the same one I've seen now three times, but as always TOOL came through. The venue was the worst. Sound sucked, you get no back end at an outdoor show. Plus 100 fucking degrees when they started and probably 120 on the floor. When you lifted your arms up to cheer you could feel the 30 degree temp difference. Overall the people were cool, security again were fuck heads. At least we could smoke some weed outside, at the May 5 show they wouldn't let us smoke inside The Joint. I mean the fucking name of the place is "the Joint". I have a question, when did they stop letting girls get on guys shoulders? I mean I relize it's not Lump Brisket but thats when the titties come out...lol. You young guys are fucked for concerts. They put more and more rules and less and less freedom. Pretty soon there won't be floor shows anymore, just seats. Even at my age I hung tough with the youngsters. Okay so maybe today I'm feeling it...lol. I'll be the old dude in the wheelchair still going to shows. Overall another great experience just a few idiots that always seem to show up. At times though Maynard looked like he would rather be somewhere else than the parking lot of the Hard Rock. Until next show.......PEACE OUT
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 70

next time your wrist band breaks, just let it slide. dont try to get a new one, i learned the hard way... also, dont forget to get your hand stamped... fuck moshers. thanks to the security guard who told me to hop the gate to get back in, sadly i couldnt find a hole in security. fuck the bastards who had no clue what they were doing and instead of listening to me kicked me out cuz their fucking stupid assholes. FUCK THE GUY WHO RIPPED UP MY TICKET, now my only souviner is this shitty flyer card of tools and twisted sisters "official" after party at some beer place. yeah, if you have to try to get a new wrist band show them your ticket first, dont give them your wrist band and then follow their directions to the next asshole who thinks hes kicking you out cuz i guess thats what that guys is supposed to do if you get sent to him. was my ticket not good enough? did i steal it? WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING! i wish wish wish that was a strong enough offense to get atleast one of those assholes fired, but no, it was only a tool show...

at one point they were playing some dialogue of this guy saying some interesting facst and what not, i wanted to get the crowd to shutup so i could learn something but they were just their to get wasted.

i only missed the last 2 songs but sadly one of them (aenima) is my favorite...their lucky i didnt complain and make thier bosses more strict on their security guard asses. i do thank the guards for kicking out the unruly moshers though. i actually saw one dude escape for a second and run past me and try to hide in the crowd, that was funny. "wheres my extra large popcorn", one guy shouted at the band. i think i actually saw one guy masterbating in his hotel room, its hard to tell but his shoulders were moving like they might have if he was masterbating standing up... i loved the part at the begining of rosetta stoned where maynard mumbled beautifully and subliminally snuck in meaningless words. i think that helped me to understand the meaning of the song better.

overall a good experience for my first tool show even though i now have an unrelenting, evil, burning hatred towards those few hard rock security guards. i hope they dont know how to swim...

thank you my new friends from front right. i shoudldnt have asked you for the 3 bucks but sadly, you didnt let me finish. i thought to myself "this guy is cool, ill just give him my phone number so if we lose eachother after the show, he can still call me so i can get him the 5 bucks that were in the car". oh well, it was cool seing you pass by after the show to say whatsup.

okay sorry tool fans who have to read all of this instead of gaining some insight into something, i just had to fix a few problems incase the right people were watching... ive learned alot from this experience.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i do wish they would 'retire' sober and stinkfist
but i guess theyre for all the fairweathered radio fans.
i saw them play 3rd eye in 96 and push it a few times.
according to maynard, theyll be back next year, maybe by then 10000days will be in the setlist w/ some others and sober will be gone.
* 8/18/1998-Thomas & Mack Center | UNLV , Las Vegas,NV.
* 8/3/2001-Red Rocks Amphitheater | Morrison, CO.
* 10/11/2002-Coors Events Center | University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
* 5/5/2006-The(original)Joint | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 9/1/2006-Theater Under the Stars | The Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/27/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 4/28/2007-The Pearl at The Palms | Las Vegas, NV.
* 7/16/2010-Planet Hollywood Theater | Las Vegas, NV.
* 1/15/2012-Mandalay Bay | Las Vegas, NV.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

This is the best live band I have ever seen. The quality of the product is unparalleled in today's music market. I would rather listen to Tool perform only their "radio hits", acoustically, at an outdoors company picnic in the middle of August in Phoenix wearing a wetsuit and a goose down parka, than see almost any other concert I have attended in the last twenty years. Enjoy it while you can...

When Maynard came out, he looked off into the distance behind the stage and said, "Oh look, a Starbucks." It was sarcastic and hilarious. Classic Maynard.

Seeing how this show evolved from the mini-tour was very cool. I can't wait to see them back-to-back at Staples next week.

As far as the venue goes, I think we lucked out. We were in the west bleachers and the hotel being right behind us seemed to help the sound quality. The visuals were awesome seen from above. Those two facts made up for the heat and everybody standing on the bleacher seats in front of them to see. (To the tall skinny fucker who blocked our view for most of the first three songs, then left half-way through the show...I hope you develop sphincter warts.)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tDoXoMl View Post
i loved the part at the begining of rosetta stoned where maynard mumbled beautifully and subliminally snuck in meaningless words. i think that helped me to understand the meaning of the song better.
I think you need to go to the tdn lyrics page buddy. He's not mumbling meaningless words.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarcho-commie View Post
I think you need to go to the tdn lyrics page buddy. He's not mumbling meaningless words.
yeah, maybe im wrong, but it seemed like he was sneaking in pop culture references to prove some point. whats with all the celebrities being named in the recorded version? yeah, ill check out the rosetta forums...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #16
Walker of Dissonant Worlds

Bincount™: 770

Incredible show. Surprisingly, the sound was great. I could've done without the "radio-hits", but oh well, it was still a good show. I also noticed those guys across the street by the telephone pole in the cherry picker, haha.

I didn't like the fact that drunk idiots we're screaming stupid stuff during it though.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #17

Literally just got back from Vegas (and going on about an hour of sleep hehe... blackjack was good to me when I finally got back to the hotel after the show).

The show rocked. Much better to me then the previous show from the mini-tour (Chicago).

Highlights for me:

The Pot (didn't play it in Chicago it was good to hear it live)
Jambi (just a great fucking song)
Rosetta (leaps and bounds better than when I heard it in May)
Opiate (no comment necessary)
Lateralus (never stop playing this song live please...thank you)

Like others have said, I could also do without Stinkfist, 46 & 2 (love the song but every show I've ever been to I think they've played it), and Sober.

Lowlights:
Bought two drinks from the cocktail waitress all I had was a $50 and the bitch never came back with my change hahaha
I was in the south bleachers and the crowd around me was kinda lame. The girl next to me had to switch seats with her boyfriend because I guess I was moving to the music too much or something (same couple who sat the entire show with one exception....Sober). Also seemed a lot of people around me were sitting down during the encore, I mean come on, your outside under the stars in the middle of the freakin desert seeing Tool, at least stand for the encore.

Can't wait for Chicago and Madison (just hope they give us a little variety like Blair posted -let's see some Wings/10,000 Days, Flood, Triad, Pushit)

Now to catch up on about 3 days of lost sleep....

Last edited by Cycloz; 09-02-2006 at 11:12 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
On Probation

For TOOL show # 7 I was not disappointed. Did I say tight? Fucking Awesome. Flew out on thursday and proceeded to party for 30 hours straight prior to the show. we were standing on the east bleacher with a great view. There was a pregnant chick standing ahead of us at her 5th show( you rock lady ). Lots of bars to choose from, great sound, awesome show and all in sin city usa. The only thing that would have made it better is if I had one of those balcony rooms so I could see the show for free and video it as well. If someone DID get this on tape, I want to see it. I'm still a bit fuzzy from the trip, but overall it was as good or better than the may chicago show. Looking forward to at least one more midwest show and as always " here from the wild dream come true " I would like to have heard " right in two" like chicago, but it was cool to hear "the pot" and opiate. Keep the faith--see ya at the next show
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Well I just got back to good ol FL yesterday. Awesome show, defninitely worth the trip from FL. It was my first time in Vegas so had to do the tourist thing as well..but damn what a show!!! It was awesome, I am glad I chose to go. I won't bore you with more details since everyon elese seems to have it covered. As far as the meetup, I got to the Viva las vegas lounge a bit late with my girl but still managed to meeup with 3 people 2 guys from Virginia I believe...and a TA member from Vegas (sorry man if iou're reading this, forgot your name..im really bad with that)....
First time I see Tool do an "encore", I've only seen them twice before and both times they played their set and left. They exceeded my expectations as far as how long they played...loved every minute of it. ...and Opiate was out of hand!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 06:34 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

what a show it was alot better than i thought. the new stage was cool. we were in the south blechers until i walked to get a beer and ended up on the floor. it was that easy so we spent half the time in south blechers and half the time ln the floor. the sound was better on the floor. enjoyed the pot and opiate. tired of stinkfist and sober but like my buddy says they have to play it. enjoyed the whole vibe of the crowd and all the shots i did with perfect strangers afterwards. i love the hard rock no kids running around like at the lukor where i stayed. love vegas looking forward to the minn and chicago shows soon. how about justin he was all over the place or was that his hair? not cool was the idiots who started the mosh pit and knocked a hot ass girl's beer all over me. ya that must have been fun you silly monkeys........tool shows are not for moshing idiots, go do that at a dumbnot show.
7/19/98 WI, 9/8/01 IN, 9/9/01 IL, 10/20/01 IA, 7/19/02 NV, 8/29/02 IL, 9/1/02 WI, 9/7/02 IL, 10/18/02 MI, 11/24/02 CA, 5/13/06 IL, 9/1/06 NV, 9/16/06 MN, 9/18/06 IL, 5/16/07 TX, 6/22/07 MO, 6/27/07 IL, 7/4/07 WI
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

Not sure if anybody has noticed it or posted it yet, but don't the lights that come up behind the stage during Lateralus look a lot like the cover of the album? (Net Of Being) Perhaps it was the buzz I had going that made me notice it, but I think that's what they are supposed to be. Look at the shapes of them.

Anyways, I said it before, but I thought that venue was badass for the show. I was not happy at first until I got inside, it was the shit. Nice night out, cool seeing the colors reflecting off the wall of the hotel and the palm trees surrounding the stage and venue. Not really that big which was tight. I too hope someone videotaped that bitch. There were enough freaking people hanging outside their rooms, and I saw a lot of flashes going off from cameras. One dude mooning everyone was funny, and I may have seen some dude boning his girl. At least I would have been if that was me up there. Fucking to some live Tool playing downstairs, what more could you want?

Great show though and I can't wait for the second leg or next tour or whatever - 10,000 Days is coming bitches!!! Maybe they'll just bust out a jammy-leg of the tour and play some Days, Pushit, Third Eye, who knows!? We can always hope.

See you guys next time!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

for my ninth tool show this was by far the best. I have seen them all over the us, on the floor in the stands, and honestly i don't think there was a bad place in the whole venue. only complaint as always: they just don't play long enough....guess that is why we always come back for more...meet a lot of really cool fans at this one, much different than the fucking viagra crowd at street scene, SD. anyway, tonight is Staples which should be just as intense and pleasing im hoping for right in two.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #23

Bincount™: 6

Excellent show. I was hoping for more songs, but who wasn't?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

awesome day

Last edited by tDoXoMl; 09-08-2006 at 05:41 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: