opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 08-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #41
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/29 - Salt Lake City, UT - E-Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusdatura View Post
the whole sheep thing, I took that as a definite statement about Utah, but maybe I am reading into things.
I agree about the sheep thing...the blind following the blind. It wasn't coincidence that they played "Opiate" after that.

I was hoping that $60 tix would weed out the retards...apparently I was wrong. Some dude in line says to his buddy, "Are you ready to see Mannard?" His buddy was like, "It's MAYnard". Other guy, "whatever". Aghhhh. I wish people like that would stay at home along w/ the people that just go because their fav song is "vicarious" or whatever happens to be on the air.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #42

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusdatura View Post
Did anyone catch the shameless psuedo lesbian shit going on before Tool came on? Lame! I don't know if they were trying to get back stage or what, but it was stupid.
Yep I caught that, it was pretty sad. We watched as one of The E Center staff made them go back to their seats, way in the back. That part was pretty funny. Ladies it's a Tool concert, not a strip joint.

Sprry75, That mashup is Hilarioius!!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #43
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSide View Post
Id like to Thank the DIP SHIT a few seats down from me for being the biggest Dildo and throwing the cup of beer into the Floor crowd. Way to show off your discret dumbassedness. I thank you cuz..its been a long time since Ive actually wanted to kick someone's ass..and it was a good feeling.
Also..the dancing monkey on the opposite side of me.. Uhh..I SO did not pay to see you flayling around like a drunken retard..ur Not Maynard. and you don't look cool.
So.. Other than the lovelies surrounding me..I thought our Crowd was Great! I felt the lesser enthusiasm from Maynard as well..I REALLY hope he will return.

Also..Dan. Did I not warn you to trade your floor seats!! heh
fuck that dude that threw the beer.

_
those lesbians were the ones at the front of the line before the doors opened that kept shouting 'LET US IN! LET US IN!' but kept getting told to shut up.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Alright, here is what I thought of the show.
First off, I want to make the point clear that it was the most spectacular thing I have ever seen (first Tool show). It was far more intense than I had ever even imagined, and my hopes were pretty high. I was truly amazed at the fact that the songs were far better than the recorded versions, I came home and listened to Tool immeadiatly, and it sounded almost boring in comparisson.
My highlights were probably Lateralus and Opiate, I thought that Opiate was probably the best played, and Lateralus had wicked visuals with the light show and everything. I actually really like the visuals on the stage in Stinkfist as well, even though they were simple in comparisson.
I could continue on for hours, but I'm going to cut myself short here. This is my mad splurge about how much I loved the show.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:43 AM   #45
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by third_eye77 View Post
I agree about the sheep thing...the blind following the blind. It wasn't coincidence that they played "Opiate" after that.

I was hoping that $60 tix would weed out the retards...apparently I was wrong. Some dude in line says to his buddy, "Are you ready to see Mannard?" His buddy was like, "It's MAYnard". Other guy, "whatever". Aghhhh. I wish people like that would stay at home along w/ the people that just go because their fav song is "vicarious" or whatever happens to be on the air.
Sheep thing goes back to Maynard speaking to a group of Scientologists.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 AM   #46
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 377

TOOL on 8-29 was by far my favorite show i have ever been to. i saw TOOL at coachella this year and this was better just because i was not smashed agaisnt hunderds of people. we got to the ecenter at 7:30 and it took us a half in hour just to get in. we got in and Isis started to play. i found my seat which was the 44th row on the floor. they were not to bad of seats just because we were right on a cross isle so we had plenty of space to move around. i thought Isis were pretty good. the guys next to me though were assholes. they keep yelling "bring out Tool, Isis sucks." i told them to chill out and that Tool will be out soon enough. those guys were so fucking stupid. anyways i had to get away from the meatheads next to me so i decided it was beer time. god was that a huge misstake. it took me around 20 mins just to get a beer. so i double fisted it and got two 8 mother fucking dollar beers. when i got back to my seat Isis played about two more songs and they were done. they only played for about 35 mins. the assholes next to me where finally happy. why'll the stage crew was getting the stage set up for Tool i started to pace around the floor with my beer in hand and think about how happy i was that Tool was going to be on stage in a half in hour. i saw i women that looked very fimilar standing in the sound board area that was right in the middle of the floor. i knew from Adams myspace page that was his wife Camella. so i went up to her and said "hello, my name is chase, you are Adams wife correct?". she told me that she was. so i just shook her hand and told her to tell adam that i said thank you for all of his work. she just smile and said "ok." i thought it was really cool that she was really nice to me.

Well the show started and everybody started going crazy when the lights went down. it was so fucking loud. i have been to some sports games in the delta center and this was 3x as loud. i knew they were going to start with Stinkfist but i didn't know that the floor was about to go into utter choas. everybody including me strated to rush the stage. i got pretty damn close to the stage but then i started to see people throwing chairs over peoples heads to give to the security guards in the front and poeple standing on the folded chairs on the floor. i didnt want to be apart of that mess so i went back a little bit futher in to a cross isle. it was such a good spot. i was right in the middle and about 20 or 30 feet away from the stage. Stinkfist was amazing, i am so stoked that i got to hear the extended version live. once The Pot started i busted out my herb and my sneak-a-pipe(which looks like a cigarette, its a metal pipe) and my lighter that i hid in my shoe(because the nazi's at the front door were taking lighers away). i must have smoke four bowls during The Pot. it was way to much fun. the shitest thing happened though when i was smoking during the intro of 46 and 2 a security guard came up to me and tried to take the lighter out of my hand. becuase my pipe looks like a cigarette he just took my lighter. i was pissed about them taking my lighter but it was ok, i was plenty stoned for the rest of the show. so of course 46 & 2 absolutely crucie'd! the drum solo and bass were really sick. after 46 & 2 maynard told everybody in the front to stop throwing chairs and that this is just rock music, he said nobody needs to get hurt over rock music. he said that if the meatheads keep on being jackasses then they will stop the show. then they continued to Jambi with the amazing talk box solo. Jones kicked ass on the guitar all night. i was going crazy in the isle just dancing and head banging during Jambi. then after Jambi i got a security guard on my ass again, this time he was tring to kick me out for being in the isle. i just keep on telling him that i am not bumping into anybody and that i was just enjoying Tool and this perfect spot that i found. he then got others and were threating to kick me out. so i just walked back a little and found some seats that were not being used and just stood up on top of the chair with a great view of the whole band. oh yeah, i think it was during either 46 & 2 or Jambi that Danny broke a drum stick and threw it into the audience, i thought that was pretty cool. Schism was the the song that made everyones jaws drop. i have some bootleg verisons of schism this tour and that live verison was so much more incredible than any bootleg verison that i have heard. Schism was pure perfection IMO.

i was so stoked when they started to play Lost Keys it was crazy to see justin right by his amp just distorting the shit out of the bass. Rosetta Stoned is such an epic song. so glad they played this song and it was played so loud and it fucking rocked. then came Opiate, it was the extended version and it was beautiful! before they played it maynard start to blah to us like a sheep. it was really funny. i have the bootleg version of Opiate at the France show and on the extended part when maynard was singing really slow i filled in the part with "pound of flesh." it was just automatic for me. i have heard that version so much that i had to sing the pound of flesh part. What can i say about Sober? i would have wanted to hear any other song besides Sober, but the intro and the passion that that song had made it so much better. i was actually really stoked that they played Sober so different. then came the Lateralus lazer show spectaular!!! i really presonally liked the lazers and thought it was very cool. Lateralus is one of my favorite songs and it was amazing to hear live again. sprial out!!!!! fuck yes, for Latueralus. Vicarious had the slow intro which was a nice touch and was fun to watch Maynard play the keyboard. Vicarious is so much better live then it is on the cd. Maynard's last scream on the "VICARIOUSLY I" made me get the chills! after Vicarious Maynard said, "in a nut shell, there you have it". then AEmena came on. i was torn when i heard this song because i knew that this would be there last song but i really love this song. so i just went crazy because this was the end. i had to scream my lungs out and enjoy this song as much as possible. i have never seen so many poeple jumping up and down just going insane during this song. what a great way to end an amazing show with Aenema. well there you have it, sorry this review is so fucking long i just had a lot to say about the concert. anyways i hope everbody that went had a great time. there were tons of other songs that i would have wanted to hear but that doesn't matter, i got to see TOOL live and that is all that matters. peace

Last edited by chiller; 08-31-2006 at 03:36 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Another great Tool concert. This was the 4th one I have seen (second in Utah).

I thought ISIS was great! One of the best openers for Tool I have seen (second only to King Crimson).

The crowd around my wife and I was way mellow, which we both appreciated. We sat in Section 124, so we were pretty far from the stage. However, the seats were pretty goo d as we got a GREAT view of all the new stage layout. Sound was pretty good: I was glad when they adjusted Maynards mic right before Jambi, as it was a little too low leading up to that point.

Setlist (as posted, won't repeat) was enjoyable, but I was hoping for some surprises. Oh well. I have to say though, I REALLY miss the Disposition/Reflection/Triad grouping from the Lateralus tour.

On a whole, I'd give the whole experience an 8/10.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

A thorough review.1st Tool concert.1st post on site.

When TOOL announced their summer tour,seeing that UT wasn't on the list I started planning a massive road trip.It didn't materalize.I was really bummed but then 94.9 the Blaze announced they were coming back around & would be at the E center.I got the chills from head to toe.My dream would surely come to pass afterall.I was broke when the tickets went on sale then sold out, so I had to buy from those rip off ticket vendors online.Section 103 row 20 next to the stage 125.00.I took my younger brother($250).Some of you may have seen him.He was the punk with giant yellow spiked hair.He was asked by 94.9 the Blaze what he thought of Bush."F*ck Bush"was all he could muster being put on the spot.He got told by 2 female guards that were walking up & down the lines what items he needed to take off.When we got up top 2 male guards discussed whether or not they were going to let him in.They called their superior on a cell."Bobby bad ass" arrived & checked him out.The problem was he had a chain necklace that was locked around his neck with no key & hand cuffs hooked to his pants.Were they afraid he might kidnap Maynard & hold him hostage?They eventually let us in.Our seats proved to be some of the best in the house.Apparently the floor kinda sucked as mentioned by some.We could see the entire white stage fully equipped with stage hands in white hospital coats.This made for an awesome visual feast.I could see Danny and Justin perfect,Maynard great & Adam okay.Isis were unique & impressive.I was worried because while they were playing their short but sweet set the place was barely half full.I wanted every seat filled quickly for Tool.They eventually got filled.I wanted Tool to know how much Salt Lake loves them.I think they got the hint.The arena was full of so much positive energy.I once in a while looked out at the crowd it was sureal.While waiting in anticipation for them to come on stage there was an hour of crappy background music.But then for like 15 min there was this guy talking about science & surgery or something.Anyone else hear it?It was like the page inside the Aenima album.Then 15 more min.of some dude ranting like a Cash Money Millionaire about his band.I looked at my watch nearly 30 times.The summer,the day,the last hour felt so long.But alas they walked out & were greated like kings.They assumed their postions on the stage & seldomly left them.I wondered why they didn't use the space especially M. He was 20 feet back the whole time.Probably because some"meatheads"made him leary.This chick from my work who had floor seats came to work wed. limping and had a cell phone sized bruise on her shoulder.My next day I was sore from headbanging & jumping while puching air, deaf,& dumb.I enjoyed the going back & forth from new to old songs.M didn't carry out his screams on some parts.Maybe to protect his voice.I was suprised to hear R.Stoned.I'm ignorant of musical instruments so I thought the song was too technical to be performed live.It was unbelievable.M had this tool belt with a strap where he had different mics or something.He did some cool moves though through the whole show while keeping his sunglasses on,shirt off and once in a while putting on his cowboy hat. Better than drag I thought.Danny busted out the gong & played hard all night in his Lakers jersey. Justin and Adam were in their own little zones.Not your typical "rock stars" jumping around but they're not your typical band.Speaking of which I picture them meditating before a show and stretching as opposed to getting wasted and f*cking a groupie.I do hope they went out downtown and chilled somewhere.Any"band-aids"see 'em before or after the show?2 friends at work didn't go because they said last time Tool came to UT to the David O Mckay center in Orem they played tedious 15min intros before every song & that Maynard bashed UT before spending the whole night singing to an alien creature image on the wall totally ignoring the audience.I'm helping them regain their tool testimony.Some people gave me a look for shouting to Justin like I was a girl at an N'Sync concert.I yelled to all of them & thanked them at the top of my lungs.I wasn't bothered by some of the tools who showed up.I loved all the people who showed.It was good to see older couples reminiscing or trying to spark up their love life,dad's with their teenage daughters who wanted to protect them from the "evils of the world",ambercrombie & fitch frat boys who think Tool is like Metallica,hippies looking to score some pot & to just spiral out-this dude in front of us was high on acid or X he was about 42 doing these crazy moves with his hands & arms & later while smoking a bowl during stinkfist.this hero next to me went & ratted him out.He & crew had to leave but luckily got to come back later.I thought the guy was a weirdo but I didn't want anyone to miss the show.think of how bad that would suck,also there were sluts looken to score-anyone take the bait?,f*ck there was such a mix of people.To me they are on all different levels of conscienceness & understanding.They are in different places in their individual lives & they are being touched and taught on their respective planes.Tool's music is deep & rich but also entertaining & even humorous.That is how great art works.Maybe they will eventually look deeper & find something that was hidden just waiting for them to be ready to appreciate it.It took me till Lateralus before I started on my quest for more truth.Hopefully Tool comes to the Delta Center next time to give more people a chance to see them.Missed fav Right in 2 but Vicarious killed.I had to sit down after to catch my breath.At the end M clothed & bailed-our side started the M chant to no avail while the other 3 came out & hugged eachother before bowing.They looked so thrilled.I was so moved by the whole experience.I am so happy to have seen Tool live.Longest post ever-sorry-thanks.

Last edited by drawesome; 09-01-2006 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Typos
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

second Tool show, Coachella '99 was still my favorite. Great music. Whomever's choice it was to have assigned seating on the floor should be shot...as sson as the lights went out, the entire floor disregarded assignments and rushed the stage, so basically I payed $60 to have a million people stand on chairs in front of me. as was said before, I could only see the very tops of the band's heads when I stood on chairs. I "downgraded" my seat to the $35 section on the side of the arena and had quite an amazing view for the remainder of the concert. Another downer: tweaked-up, muscle-bound idiots writhing and jumpung up and down the stairways totally oblivious to everyone else's experience.
No more sad talk...on to the good parts. The setlist, while basically being totally identical to other '06 shows (that I'd already heard bootlegs of), was solid, and pretty well played. just a couple little slip-ups, but nothing to ruin anything. screen displays were really low, but still cool, but during Lateralus, more lights came up, and the lasers started, and that song specifically blew me away...freakin' sweet. Maynard playing keyboard...didn't occur to me that he did, but just cool to see.
Maynard did seem to be in a down mood, but not so much as to ruin the show. as said above, I'd say about a 6 or 7 out of 10 for a Tool show, all things considered (even a "bad" Tool show being better than many other concerts, of course). My wife, not really a Tool fan, did seem to enjoy the evening as well, and get a tiny bit more understanding into the phenomenon that is Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool concert. It was amazing. Definately the best concert that I have been to. For anyone who is interested, I found this link to a review of the concert in the Salt Lake Tribune which includes a couple pictures. http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_4260665#
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #51

Re: A thorough review.1st Tool concert.1st post on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawesome View Post
Some of you may have seen him.He was the punk with giant yellow spiked hair..
haha. I saw that kid outside when waiting in line. he was a hard one to miss.

stra..thanks for the link. those were some good pics.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

I started out in the second row, dead center and as many of you have already stated, the "meatheads" started ripping out the chairs within two minutes of the concert starting. I understand that people think "I paid for my ticket, I can act like an ass if I want to" but next time try not to ruin it for the rest of us.

My brothers and a friend of mine flew from Columbus, Ohio to see the concert and were to the point of leaving half way through because we were tired of getting punched in the back of the head by a few dickwads who wanted to fight instead of watch the show.

Those pictures a few posts ago are great. The guy who took those stood right in front of us for about 3 songs taking those pictures and I am glad they came out. Maynard was at his best that night. I have seen TooL in concert 12 or so times, and eventhough I was disappointed in how the Salt Lake City security handled the chair throwing and the 2nd row mosh pit, it was one of the best musically.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: