Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2007
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
11-08-2007, 01:02 AM

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
Nov 27 Saskatoon Credit Union Center

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Thunderbutt's Avatar Thunderbutt
11-28-2007, 12:08 AM

Awesome show!!! Danny's coming out wearing a Saskatchewan Roughriders jersey was cool (Saskatchewan people love the Riders!!). The show rocked, the set list was pretty much the same as for the last few shows, however it was different from when I saw them in Vancouver last year which was nice (although I would have loved to hear Right in Two again, but we got Wings which was both touching and fantastic). Lateralus was incredible, the drum solo blew my mind. They let some terminally ill guy come out and play guitar for 46&2 who was from the Children's Wish foundation, I didn't catch his name, but he did a great job, I wish him the best in his fight with his illness and hope for a positive and speedy recovery for him. To sum it up, Tool showed class, compassion and rocked our world too...What a night!!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Nov 27 Saskatoon Credit Union Center

Awesome show!!! Danny's coming out wearing a Saskatchewan Roughriders jersey was cool (Saskatchewan people love the Riders!!). The show rocked, the set list was pretty much the same as for the last few shows, however it was different from when I saw them in Vancouver last year which was nice (although I would have loved to hear Right in Two again, but we got Wings which was both touching and fantastic). Lateralus was incredible, the drum solo blew my mind. They let some terminally ill guy come out and play guitar for 46&2 who was from the Children's Wish foundation, I didn't catch his name, but he did a great job, I wish him the best in his fight with his illness and hope for a positive and speedy recovery for him. To sum it up, Tool showed class, compassion and rocked our world too...What a night!!
OFFLINE |  
Jeremy_NSL
11-28-2007, 10:02 AM

My review follows. Note this is my first Tool concert, though I've been a rather hardcore fan since I first heard Undertow in 1993

From what I caught, the opening band (Trans Am) was very weak. I think its great for Tool to give young bands a chance, but seriously - for $80 a ticket this was pretty bad.

On to Tool

Good:
-First, the band played amazingly well. Danny was absolutely on fire, and I was blown away by some of the playing technique of Justin (I play bass as well).
-The light/video show rocked!
-Lateralus w/ the long drum solo was mindblowing
-46 & 2 was an awesome performance, especially considering it was a 'Miracle Wish' guy on guitar (I'm not sure if it was a joke or not?)

Bad:
-Maynard was hiding in the darkness the entire show. Ok, I understand he likes to be different etc etc. but I felt that was lame. Give me just a bit of performance! I've seen videos of shows where he has a ton of energy, so I felt a bit ripped off by that.
-Maynard's vocals were *very low* in the mix. And this comes from someone who is mostly listening to the band anyway, so trust me it was too low.
-Their song selection was very spotty IMO. NOTHING off Opiate. Only one song off Undertow - Flood. Most bizarre, they didn't even play The Pot, which for me is by far the best song on the new album!
-Instead, they played Wings for Marie both pt1 and pt2! I actually don't mind these songs on the CD, but in a liveshow with limited time I think these are very poor choices.

Ugly:
-We screamed our f'ing heads off and they didn't deign to give us a single encore. I was disgusted.

In the end, Tool is still my favorite studio band - perhaps of all time. But that was not even close to being my favorite live show, I'm sad to admit :(
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

My review follows. Note this is my first Tool concert, though I've been a rather hardcore fan since I first heard Undertow in 1993

From what I caught, the opening band (Trans Am) was very weak. I think its great for Tool to give young bands a chance, but seriously - for $80 a ticket this was pretty bad.

On to Tool

Good:
-First, the band played amazingly well. Danny was absolutely on fire, and I was blown away by some of the playing technique of Justin (I play bass as well).
-The light/video show rocked!
-Lateralus w/ the long drum solo was mindblowing
-46 & 2 was an awesome performance, especially considering it was a 'Miracle Wish' guy on guitar (I'm not sure if it was a joke or not?)

Bad:
-Maynard was hiding in the darkness the entire show. Ok, I understand he likes to be different etc etc. but I felt that was lame. Give me just a bit of performance! I've seen videos of shows where he has a ton of energy, so I felt a bit ripped off by that.
-Maynard's vocals were *very low* in the mix. And this comes from someone who is mostly listening to the band anyway, so trust me it was too low.
-Their song selection was very spotty IMO. NOTHING off Opiate. Only one song off Undertow - Flood. Most bizarre, they didn't even play The Pot, which for me is by far the best song on the new album!
-Instead, they played Wings for Marie both pt1 and pt2! I actually don't mind these songs on the CD, but in a liveshow with limited time I think these are very poor choices.

Ugly:
-We screamed our f'ing heads off and they didn't deign to give us a single encore. I was disgusted.

In the end, Tool is still my favorite studio band - perhaps of all time. But that was not even close to being my favorite live show, I'm sad to admit :(
OFFLINE |  
Brainman
11-28-2007, 10:48 AM

I headed down the highway from Regina to Saskatoon on a sketchy winter day and was not dissapointed! It appeared to me that at the end of the show, the band was very appreciative of the loud prairie reception they received from what must have been one of the smaller venues that they have hit during the 10,000 Days tour. I think they were perhaps a little surprised. Lets hope Maynard's words ("See you again/later - once its warm")

I really enjoyed the inclusion of "Wings for Marie (Part 1)" and "10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)", 2 tunes that were not played when I saw the band in Calgary during the Fall 2006 Tour.

As usual the musianship and vocals (Could have been a touch more prominent in the mix, at least earlier on in the show) were impeccable. The stage and visuals differed somewhat from what I saw earlier on the tour, and were great as well.

I was surprised by TransAm, as I was not expecting much. Short set, but the drums, double bass & electronics really hit hard. I can still feel the sensation of the cement shaking under my feet!

Was Maynard fucking around with the lyrics during "Rosetta Stoned"? Later on in the tune things seemed to get back to the original lyrics, but I do beleive he was improvising and having some fun. I guess after 15 months on the road, you need to switch things up from time to to keep it fresh.

Thanks to the band for hitting our little city and for the solid show!

P.S. Anyone check "Saskatoon" in Wikipedia today?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

I headed down the highway from Regina to Saskatoon on a sketchy winter day and was not dissapointed! It appeared to me that at the end of the show, the band was very appreciative of the loud prairie reception they received from what must have been one of the smaller venues that they have hit during the 10,000 Days tour. I think they were perhaps a little surprised. Lets hope Maynard's words ("See you again/later - once its warm")

I really enjoyed the inclusion of "Wings for Marie (Part 1)" and "10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)", 2 tunes that were not played when I saw the band in Calgary during the Fall 2006 Tour.

As usual the musianship and vocals (Could have been a touch more prominent in the mix, at least earlier on in the show) were impeccable. The stage and visuals differed somewhat from what I saw earlier on the tour, and were great as well.

I was surprised by TransAm, as I was not expecting much. Short set, but the drums, double bass & electronics really hit hard. I can still feel the sensation of the cement shaking under my feet!

Was Maynard fucking around with the lyrics during "Rosetta Stoned"? Later on in the tune things seemed to get back to the original lyrics, but I do beleive he was improvising and having some fun. I guess after 15 months on the road, you need to switch things up from time to to keep it fresh.

Thanks to the band for hitting our little city and for the solid show!

P.S. Anyone check "Saskatoon" in Wikipedia today?
OFFLINE |  
psychosomatica
11-28-2007, 10:57 AM

Ok, let's clear some things up, since obviously some people expected the second coming of Christ in this concert.

A) Same set as the rest of the tour.

B) Danny performed the Lateralus solo on his own.

C) I preferred the Edmonton show I saw last year, but loved the fact I got to see different songs played. Flood. Wow.

D) Maynardism: "I heard Saskatoon's the quietest city in the world. I read it on Wikipedia."

Last edited by marcus; 11-29-2007 at 12:26 AM..
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Ok, let's clear some things up, since obviously some people expected the second coming of Christ in this concert.

A) Same set as the rest of the tour.

B) Danny performed the Lateralus solo on his own.

C) I preferred the Edmonton show I saw last year, but loved the fact I got to see different songs played. Flood. Wow.

D) Maynardism: "I heard Saskatoon's the quietest city in the world. I read it on Wikipedia."

Last edited by marcus; 11-29-2007 at 12:26 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Jeremy_NSL
11-28-2007, 12:33 PM

Thats fine. I did expect most stuff to be off the later albums. But in that case I would have hoped for a very different mix of stuff from Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days. If you loved their set list then great - difference of opinion.

About hardcore: band trivia etc. doesn't interest me very much. If thats what defines hardcore then I'm definitely not. I'm just a guy who loves Tool music, jams Tool music, and perhaps *did* have too high expectations for their live show.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Thats fine. I did expect most stuff to be off the later albums. But in that case I would have hoped for a very different mix of stuff from Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days. If you loved their set list then great - difference of opinion.

About hardcore: band trivia etc. doesn't interest me very much. If thats what defines hardcore then I'm definitely not. I'm just a guy who loves Tool music, jams Tool music, and perhaps *did* have too high expectations for their live show.
OFFLINE |  
bupbup66
11-28-2007, 01:03 PM

This is the second time I have had the luxury of witnessing Tool live. They are still as impressive as the first time I saw them 5 years ago.

Despite the crappy sound in Credit Union Centre (sorry, I am still used to Sask Place), I think the band did an amazing job. Danny did not disappoint!! I heard he may not be fully recovered from a torn bicept (damn dog!!) but he proved that he is more than ready to go.

I was sad not to be able to hear an encore. I thought for sure this is where we would here "The Pot". I thought the crowd was more than loud enough to spur on another song. I still went home with goosebumps.

I will wait for them to hit Western Canada again.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

This is the second time I have had the luxury of witnessing Tool live. They are still as impressive as the first time I saw them 5 years ago.

Despite the crappy sound in Credit Union Centre (sorry, I am still used to Sask Place), I think the band did an amazing job. Danny did not disappoint!! I heard he may not be fully recovered from a torn bicept (damn dog!!) but he proved that he is more than ready to go.

I was sad not to be able to hear an encore. I thought for sure this is where we would here "The Pot". I thought the crowd was more than loud enough to spur on another song. I still went home with goosebumps.

I will wait for them to hit Western Canada again.
OFFLINE |  
Roach2go
11-28-2007, 02:08 PM

I am amazed that Tool had come at all.I was blown away! i've been a fan since 94 and had always said i'd see them if they came, of course i said that about every band that comes to the city,TOOL ws the show i could not turn down They had to be seen. I didn't hear any one comment on the stage.That wasthe coolest stage that i've seen in any show.It was the first time watchin a video on a floor.
As i have read numerouse times on this fourum,The boys were tight and proved to me that they are the band to be seen. I would see them again and again and again.

Oh yeah an example of fanatisism- read from rock102 blog about a couple driving 1300 miles from kansis to see the show. WOW
Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

I am amazed that Tool had come at all.I was blown away! i've been a fan since 94 and had always said i'd see them if they came, of course i said that about every band that comes to the city,TOOL ws the show i could not turn down They had to be seen. I didn't hear any one comment on the stage.That wasthe coolest stage that i've seen in any show.It was the first time watchin a video on a floor.
As i have read numerouse times on this fourum,The boys were tight and proved to me that they are the band to be seen. I would see them again and again and again.

Oh yeah an example of fanatisism- read from rock102 blog about a couple driving 1300 miles from kansis to see the show. WOW
OFFLINE |  
Roach2go
11-28-2007, 02:16 PM

If any1 thought that the crowd was loud at the end of the show,think again.Ive seen other shows who will remain nameless,and i walked out of there with my ears ringing. Not last night.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

If any1 thought that the crowd was loud at the end of the show,think again.Ive seen other shows who will remain nameless,and i walked out of there with my ears ringing. Not last night.
OFFLINE |  
Brainman
11-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfan91 View Post
I looked it up and what am i looking for
Sorry, just a reference to the show. Maynard noted that according to Wikipedia, Saskatoon was the world's quietest place.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfan91 View Post
I looked it up and what am i looking for
Sorry, just a reference to the show. Maynard noted that according to Wikipedia, Saskatoon was the world's quietest place.
OFFLINE |  
the_failsafe's Avatar the_failsafe
11-28-2007, 02:39 PM

Literally almost died on the way to the show driving from Calgary. A guy went off the road and swerved into our lane and we missed him by such a close call. It shook us all up and made the experience a little more interesting from the get go. I don't want to rant and rave about how surreal these past two days have been. I feel so f-ing thankful to be this inspired and graced by a band we call tool. This show was ecstasy and my heart seemed to get bigger after it was over. Amazing, the show was amazing, absolutely no complaints what so ever. They were perfect.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Literally almost died on the way to the show driving from Calgary. A guy went off the road and swerved into our lane and we missed him by such a close call. It shook us all up and made the experience a little more interesting from the get go. I don't want to rant and rave about how surreal these past two days have been. I feel so f-ing thankful to be this inspired and graced by a band we call tool. This show was ecstasy and my heart seemed to get bigger after it was over. Amazing, the show was amazing, absolutely no complaints what so ever. They were perfect.
OFFLINE |  
tooldude's Avatar tooldude
11-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywize View Post
incorrect, I have seen them do plenty of encores in the past, the only difference between their encore and say, someone like deep purple or rush, they will leave for a minute or so then return so is that really an encore? Last time, the Fall '06 tour, they sat on stage, had something to drink, looked up at the crowd with a TON of lighters, was at the gorge in WA, sat for a few minutes bullshitting with each other, then played a few more songs, I guess that is an encore but you are right, they don't leave the stage for 10 minutes then return.
ok ok,...yeah i see what youre saying..... i guess you could consider that an encore.....if you consider like 6 songs a full concert.... but yeah, to me, the whole sit down with the lighters going and shit, thats just an intermission
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
incorrect, I have seen them do plenty of encores in the past, the only difference between their encore and say, someone like deep purple or rush, they will leave for a minute or so then return so is that really an encore? Last time, the Fall '06 tour, they sat on stage, had something to drink, looked up at the crowd with a TON of lighters, was at the gorge in WA, sat for a few minutes bullshitting with each other, then played a few more songs, I guess that is an encore but you are right, they don't leave the stage for 10 minutes then return.
ok ok,...yeah i see what youre saying..... i guess you could consider that an encore.....if you consider like 6 songs a full concert.... but yeah, to me, the whole sit down with the lighters going and shit, thats just an intermission
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
OFFLINE |  
unifiedtheory's Avatar unifiedtheory
11-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_NSL View Post
(
I don't know if this has been mentioned but there is a reason Maynard is in the back.

TOOL is notorious for their VERY loud monitor mix. I read an interview with the sound guy a year or two ago and he said they have easily the loudest monitors he's ever been around. The band uses the volume to gain energy and they basically like it loud on stage.

During the Aenima tour they were noticing that a lot of the stage sound was feeding itself into Maynard's mic, causing feedback and making it tough to mix at times.

Maynard moved to the back so he could be behind the cabs and be away from the big monitor sound, giving the band a better mix and improving the sound.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_NSL View Post
(
I don't know if this has been mentioned but there is a reason Maynard is in the back.

TOOL is notorious for their VERY loud monitor mix. I read an interview with the sound guy a year or two ago and he said they have easily the loudest monitors he's ever been around. The band uses the volume to gain energy and they basically like it loud on stage.

During the Aenima tour they were noticing that a lot of the stage sound was feeding itself into Maynard's mic, causing feedback and making it tough to mix at times.

Maynard moved to the back so he could be behind the cabs and be away from the big monitor sound, giving the band a better mix and improving the sound.
OFFLINE |  
11-28-2007, 04:09 PM

Oh...BTW, about the set list and people complaining about it...live with it or don't go!

They are not supporting Aenima or Undertow or Lateralus, they are still supporting 10,000 Days so they will play 10,000 Days music. Bands that tour and DON'T support their current record usually do so for a reason. when you release a brilliant record you support it.

I've seen them during the Undertow tour (twice), the Aenima tour (once), Lateralus (twice) and 10,000 Days (once but I'm going to Victoria and Everett) and everytime I've wanted to hear them play the NEWER music. I for one was growing tired of hearing Sober live, as I am tiring of 46&2 and Schism. I want to hear the new stuff....just my opinion of course.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Oh...BTW, about the set list and people complaining about it...live with it or don't go!

They are not supporting Aenima or Undertow or Lateralus, they are still supporting 10,000 Days so they will play 10,000 Days music. Bands that tour and DON'T support their current record usually do so for a reason. when you release a brilliant record you support it.

I've seen them during the Undertow tour (twice), the Aenima tour (once), Lateralus (twice) and 10,000 Days (once but I'm going to Victoria and Everett) and everytime I've wanted to hear them play the NEWER music. I for one was growing tired of hearing Sober live, as I am tiring of 46&2 and Schism. I want to hear the new stuff....just my opinion of course.
OFFLINE |  
djc
11-28-2007, 05:29 PM

My 5th tool show since '94 (2 more to go this mini-tour), and it was another great show.As far as the setlist goes, I know I will be seeing the same show two more times and I can't wait.
Tool is self employed and the great thing about being your own boss is that you run the show, do what you want do and in this case play what they want to play.Tool fans should respect this and enjoy each show. The day will come where you won't be able to see this band live anymore (not anytime soon I hope) and if you decided not to go to a show just because of the setlist, you will regret it.

see you in missoula
Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
djc
Level 2 - Poster

My 5th tool show since '94 (2 more to go this mini-tour), and it was another great show.As far as the setlist goes, I know I will be seeing the same show two more times and I can't wait.
Tool is self employed and the great thing about being your own boss is that you run the show, do what you want do and in this case play what they want to play.Tool fans should respect this and enjoy each show. The day will come where you won't be able to see this band live anymore (not anytime soon I hope) and if you decided not to go to a show just because of the setlist, you will regret it.

see you in missoula
OFFLINE |  
11-28-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
dude, tired of 46&2??? how can one be?!?!?!
I dunno, I just am...LOL! They have such a vast catalog. If they are going to play one or two tracks from an entire album as great as Aenima was then I'd love to see them switch it up a little bit, like they have on this tour playing "Flood" instead of "Sober".

Playing "Third Eye" or "H." instead of "46&2" would be something I hope we see in a few years when they hit the road again. Hell, while we are at it, toss in "The Grudge" instead of "Schism" and we are talking.

I hope no one is taking this as bitching about the set list, I am not doing that. They did not play "Wings" when they made their Vancouver appearance so the fact they are doing so regularly now excites me.

I'm still in shock that I get to see them LIVE! twice in the next week!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
dude, tired of 46&2??? how can one be?!?!?!
I dunno, I just am...LOL! They have such a vast catalog. If they are going to play one or two tracks from an entire album as great as Aenima was then I'd love to see them switch it up a little bit, like they have on this tour playing "Flood" instead of "Sober".

Playing "Third Eye" or "H." instead of "46&2" would be something I hope we see in a few years when they hit the road again. Hell, while we are at it, toss in "The Grudge" instead of "Schism" and we are talking.

I hope no one is taking this as bitching about the set list, I am not doing that. They did not play "Wings" when they made their Vancouver appearance so the fact they are doing so regularly now excites me.

OFFLINE |  
thesloth
11-28-2007, 09:31 PM

I for one was happy to not see an encore. Bands now a days do the fake encores and those suck. Half the time the crowd is not even that hardcore cause they know the band is comeing back out.

The show itself was fantastic. As for the sound I have no idea what anyone is complainging about. It sounded great and was one of the best sounding shows I have gone to this year.

I was just happy that they did the entire show after Mynard got angry about people using flashes on cameras to take pictures. (some people are just stupid)

The 2 downsides tool had no control over.

1. Beer line to slow this venue has no idea how to server booze fast they just suck at it.

2. The securty was way to active. They came into the middle of the crowd on the floor looking for people smoking pot and just general pricks (I wasn't smokin pot)

As for the crowd not being loud enough. The fact is the Saskachwan Roughriders just captured their 3rd Greycup title in it's history and the last time was 1989 so Most people at the show probably had no voice from parting hard in the streets since Sunday night.

Last edited by thesloth; 11-28-2007 at 09:39 PM..
Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

I for one was happy to not see an encore. Bands now a days do the fake encores and those suck. Half the time the crowd is not even that hardcore cause they know the band is comeing back out.

The show itself was fantastic. As for the sound I have no idea what anyone is complainging about. It sounded great and was one of the best sounding shows I have gone to this year.

I was just happy that they did the entire show after Mynard got angry about people using flashes on cameras to take pictures. (some people are just stupid)

The 2 downsides tool had no control over.

1. Beer line to slow this venue has no idea how to server booze fast they just suck at it.

2. The securty was way to active. They came into the middle of the crowd on the floor looking for people smoking pot and just general pricks (I wasn't smokin pot)

As for the crowd not being loud enough. The fact is the Saskachwan Roughriders just captured their 3rd Greycup title in it's history and the last time was 1989 so Most people at the show probably had no voice from parting hard in the streets since Sunday night.

Last edited by thesloth; 11-28-2007 at 09:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
chrons's Avatar chrons
11-28-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloth View Post
No excuses now. haha

My buddy and I drove up from Winnipeg on Monday to see the show. Got there early enough to miss all the shitty weather on the way in.

Great setlist.... The childrens wish foundation thing he said was pretty funny. Maynard was quite animated, it was nice to see. Not really much moshing which was fine by me. I was too busy watching what was on the stage to care about it, I assume everyone else was too..

Danny Carey was amazing to watch. I loved the drum solo in Lateralus.

From where I was standing on the floor, I thought the show sounded great.

First time we've seen Tool and it was worth it..
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloth View Post
No excuses now. haha

My buddy and I drove up from Winnipeg on Monday to see the show. Got there early enough to miss all the shitty weather on the way in.

Great setlist.... The childrens wish foundation thing he said was pretty funny. Maynard was quite animated, it was nice to see. Not really much moshing which was fine by me. I was too busy watching what was on the stage to care about it, I assume everyone else was too..

Danny Carey was amazing to watch. I loved the drum solo in Lateralus.

From where I was standing on the floor, I thought the show sounded great.

First time we've seen Tool and it was worth it..
11-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Setlist was

Jambi
(-) ions/Stinkfist
Forty-six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Wings for Marie/10,000 Days
Lateralus with killer drum solo
Vicarious
Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Setlist was

Jambi
(-) ions/Stinkfist
Forty-six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Wings for Marie/10,000 Days
Lateralus with killer drum solo
Vicarious
11-29-2007, 01:32 AM

Encore shmoncore. They played an amazingly beautiful flowing piece of music, is how I see it. How you define the different parts of the show is irrelevant. They are so focused and their energy is remarkable. They take a piss break/breather part-way through every show (intermission), and that is essentially it. Anyway.

I've been so bloody happy since seeing this show. What an exhilarating, moving, inspirational, spiritual, and just plain fucking fun experience. Saw 'em in Calgary and Edmonton and at Bonnaroo this tour, and I'm fairly certain that this was the tightest overall. I appreciated the further developments with the visuals (as an added bonus), and all of the intros/preludes/extended jams are so great. I thought the sound was done so well. Keenan could be heard quite well. Clearly the band doesn't intend to showcase his voice as this principal part of the music, but rather as just another instrument. Or at least I could make out what he was singing from the seats I had. The sound will of course differ at various areas of the arena. Many seem to think that night after night, the sound guy is doing a crap job. I would have to disagree. It's nice too that the sound system in that place doesn't sound like ass (like it's blown) like the arena in Edmonton.

As for the crowd, the response was sufficient, not overly joyous per se (it can be difficult to properly articulate various screams of appreciation when you're fuck high, for instance). However, I was very happy with the people that went. There was quite a lack of drunken, indiscriminate bullshit, as in yelling during the songs (I didn't hear any of the usual ceaseless "MAAAAAYYNAARRD!!!!"), nor was shit thrown at them. I like to think that friendly folk come with the territory. There were a couple of boos when Maynard requested (with a please) that no flash cameras be used during Wings/10,000 Jours. I guess that ruined the concert for them. Which is a shame, 'cause they played really well.

They all kicked a lot of ass. I thank them for coming all this way to play their hearts out, balls to the wall. I think my brain took in multiple days worth of stimuli, though it felt as though the whole thing lasted five minutes. In short, I enjoyed their unfettered art much, and it did something positive for me. That's all I got.

Oh, and I'm seeing them again this Saturday, and I still consider it to be a sort of "once in a lifetime experience".

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 11-29-2007 at 01:39 AM..
Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Encore shmoncore. They played an amazingly beautiful flowing piece of music, is how I see it. How you define the different parts of the show is irrelevant. They are so focused and their energy is remarkable. They take a piss break/breather part-way through every show (intermission), and that is essentially it. Anyway.

I've been so bloody happy since seeing this show. What an exhilarating, moving, inspirational, spiritual, and just plain fucking fun experience. Saw 'em in Calgary and Edmonton and at Bonnaroo this tour, and I'm fairly certain that this was the tightest overall. I appreciated the further developments with the visuals (as an added bonus), and all of the intros/preludes/extended jams are so great. I thought the sound was done so well. Keenan could be heard quite well. Clearly the band doesn't intend to showcase his voice as this principal part of the music, but rather as just another instrument. Or at least I could make out what he was singing from the seats I had. The sound will of course differ at various areas of the arena. Many seem to think that night after night, the sound guy is doing a crap job. I would have to disagree. It's nice too that the sound system in that place doesn't sound like ass (like it's blown) like the arena in Edmonton.

As for the crowd, the response was sufficient, not overly joyous per se (it can be difficult to properly articulate various screams of appreciation when you're fuck high, for instance). However, I was very happy with the people that went. There was quite a lack of drunken, indiscriminate bullshit, as in yelling during the songs (I didn't hear any of the usual ceaseless "MAAAAAYYNAARRD!!!!"), nor was shit thrown at them. I like to think that friendly folk come with the territory. There were a couple of boos when Maynard requested (with a please) that no flash cameras be used during Wings/10,000 Jours. I guess that ruined the concert for them. Which is a shame, 'cause they played really well.

They all kicked a lot of ass. I thank them for coming all this way to play their hearts out, balls to the wall. I think my brain took in multiple days worth of stimuli, though it felt as though the whole thing lasted five minutes. In short, I enjoyed their unfettered art much, and it did something positive for me. That's all I got.

Oh, and I'm seeing them again this Saturday, and I still consider it to be a sort of "once in a lifetime experience".

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 11-29-2007 at 01:39 AM..
OFFLINE |  
bottom_feeder99
11-29-2007, 01:45 AM

Well guys and gals I Felt the show was touching. I've seen them 5 times; twice on the lateralus tour, and this was my third 10000 days show. I've got a potential perspective for every one who was speaking about a change in the set list to consider.

Tool tours the record their promoting. This means they come up with an elaborate live show of songs they feel fit well together. A show that reflects the overall messages of the CD. Or, the growing levels of energy as the show progresses. They create a performance that is rehearsed exactly the same every time. They have a few swaps they can do, but alot of times it just a sequence of events on a digital timeline; matched up to a live performance by the band dudes.

Now I'm sure that some people are thinking that I'm preaching to the converted. This isn't about you people. After seeing a few shows on the same tour and not the least of which was November 7 '01 (Pushit LIVE BABY>>>>>>>> WOOOT WOOT). The set lists generally are the same the've always been the same....If you would have seen them back in '96 on the AEnima you would have seen H.... Infact if you would have seen them in Calgary in 02 you would have seen grudge along with 7 other lateralus songs, Opiate, 46&2, Stinkfist, and Sober from the two previous CD's. but that was it. It's hard to get pissed for not seeing third Eye because tool does shit like this.
They Create, They Promote, they hope people get it. If they do Excellent, Thats the point. Then you move on and create something different. The cycle repeats itself. Every member is creative outside of tool as well. I just hope certain people know that you can't expect a custom performance based on the popular songs. it's not about that with tool.

On A Side note.... when they see flashes from the crowd they decide to stop playing songs like LE POT Their form of mental punishment.

Peace.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well guys and gals I Felt the show was touching. I've seen them 5 times; twice on the lateralus tour, and this was my third 10000 days show. I've got a potential perspective for every one who was speaking about a change in the set list to consider.

Tool tours the record their promoting. This means they come up with an elaborate live show of songs they feel fit well together. A show that reflects the overall messages of the CD. Or, the growing levels of energy as the show progresses. They create a performance that is rehearsed exactly the same every time. They have a few swaps they can do, but alot of times it just a sequence of events on a digital timeline; matched up to a live performance by the band dudes.

Now I'm sure that some people are thinking that I'm preaching to the converted. This isn't about you people. After seeing a few shows on the same tour and not the least of which was November 7 '01 (Pushit LIVE BABY>>>>>>>> WOOOT WOOT). The set lists generally are the same the've always been the same....If you would have seen them back in '96 on the AEnima you would have seen H.... Infact if you would have seen them in Calgary in 02 you would have seen grudge along with 7 other lateralus songs, Opiate, 46&2, Stinkfist, and Sober from the two previous CD's. but that was it. It's hard to get pissed for not seeing third Eye because tool does shit like this.
They Create, They Promote, they hope people get it. If they do Excellent, Thats the point. Then you move on and create something different. The cycle repeats itself. Every member is creative outside of tool as well. I just hope certain people know that you can't expect a custom performance based on the popular songs. it's not about that with tool.

On A Side note.... when they see flashes from the crowd they decide to stop playing songs like LE POT Their form of mental punishment.

Peace.
OFFLINE |  
jeremywize's Avatar jeremywize
11-29-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post

I am right there with you and yes, Sober live 15 times now can get a bit old, damn, even Opiate live is getting tiresome as well.. you are there in Everett next week yeah? Sweet, see ya then brotha!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post

I am right there with you and yes, Sober live 15 times now can get a bit old, damn, even Opiate live is getting tiresome as well.. you are there in Everett next week yeah? Sweet, see ya then brotha!
11-29-2007, 05:35 PM

Absolutely the best live show I've seen. Two hour non stop assault on the senses. I don't have any more words for it than that!

Bit of trivia: I work with a guy who regularly does security at Sask Place (I absolutely REFUSE to call it by it's current name) and he's the guy that caught the drum skin at the end of the show. Sold it on the spot to someone for $100. There's no way I would have sold it...Not in a million years, not for a million doll....well, maybe for a million dollars.

That was rambling...

Back to Tool: Best. Show. Ever!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Absolutely the best live show I've seen. Two hour non stop assault on the senses. I don't have any more words for it than that!

Bit of trivia: I work with a guy who regularly does security at Sask Place (I absolutely REFUSE to call it by it's current name) and he's the guy that caught the drum skin at the end of the show. Sold it on the spot to someone for $100. There's no way I would have sold it...Not in a million years, not for a million doll....well, maybe for a million dollars.

That was rambling...

Back to Tool: Best. Show. Ever!
OFFLINE |  
joeyknish's Avatar joeyknish
11-29-2007, 05:42 PM

I never thought they would play Saskatoon and didn't think they would come back around Calgary either for this tour so when it was announced I was super excited. Instead of having to wait another 3 or 4 or even 5 years for another show we got one just over a year later. Anyways, the visuals were amped up since the Calgary, Edmonton, and Gorge shows from last year and even though the setlist only changed with three songs we still got something like 30 minutes of new music which isn't bad at all. It was worth driving out from Calgary just for the 3 songs I didn't hear last time (Wings 1 and 2 and Flood). Flood was intense...a guy next to me on the floor fainted about 2 minutes into yet. After picking him up he said to me "sorry, I just tripped out a bit there" and took off to gather himself. I know what he meant!
Anyways, I thought it was a great show and props to TOOL for going to out of the way places such as Saskatoon. Can't wait until they come around anywhere near here again.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

I never thought they would play Saskatoon and didn't think they would come back around Calgary either for this tour so when it was announced I was super excited. Instead of having to wait another 3 or 4 or even 5 years for another show we got one just over a year later. Anyways, the visuals were amped up since the Calgary, Edmonton, and Gorge shows from last year and even though the setlist only changed with three songs we still got something like 30 minutes of new music which isn't bad at all. It was worth driving out from Calgary just for the 3 songs I didn't hear last time (Wings 1 and 2 and Flood). Flood was intense...a guy next to me on the floor fainted about 2 minutes into yet. After picking him up he said to me "sorry, I just tripped out a bit there" and took off to gather himself. I know what he meant!
Anyways, I thought it was a great show and props to TOOL for going to out of the way places such as Saskatoon. Can't wait until they come around anywhere near here again.
11-30-2007, 09:05 AM

Wicked show, Tool is the BEST!! I drove up from Winnipeg, I think the MTS centre is better for sound hopefully Tool will stop by next year. Anyways the more and more I think about the concert the more i like it. It literally was a trip in every sense of the word. Those fricken alien beams during the intermission was weird as hell, it repeated so many times but sweet. Unbelievalbe opening even though i was in the beer line when they went onstage (I know lame)...Anyways I ran to my seat immediately fuck the beer and couldn't look away for the rest of the show. My highlight would have to be stinkfist and vicarious everything inbetween was as sweet as Molassis, Intro to the Marie song was sweet, it would have been nice to be closer to feel the guitarists a little bit more and Maynard for that matter but i think just seeing his silhouette (with the mohawk..lol.)against the tv screen is just as good effect. Definitely going to see them again if they come around. I vote for Tool to play at the Burton Cummings theatre in Winnipeg..lol...Anybody feel me? Chris Cornell played there last month, so good!!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Wicked show, Tool is the BEST!! I drove up from Winnipeg, I think the MTS centre is better for sound hopefully Tool will stop by next year. Anyways the more and more I think about the concert the more i like it. It literally was a trip in every sense of the word. Those fricken alien beams during the intermission was weird as hell, it repeated so many times but sweet. Unbelievalbe opening even though i was in the beer line when they went onstage (I know lame)...Anyways I ran to my seat immediately fuck the beer and couldn't look away for the rest of the show. My highlight would have to be stinkfist and vicarious everything inbetween was as sweet as Molassis, Intro to the Marie song was sweet, it would have been nice to be closer to feel the guitarists a little bit more and Maynard for that matter but i think just seeing his silhouette (with the mohawk..lol.)against the tv screen is just as good effect. Definitely going to see them again if they come around. I vote for Tool to play at the Burton Cummings theatre in Winnipeg..lol...Anybody feel me? Chris Cornell played there last month, so good!!
OFFLINE |  
chrons's Avatar chrons
11-30-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
so no wings part II?

They played both parts.. It's really only one song though.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
so no wings part II?

They played both parts.. It's really only one song though.
11-30-2007, 08:59 PM

I waited in anticipation for the Nov.27th show,not knowing what to expect as it was my first Tool concert.I have been a die-hard fan since the mid-nineties.What I experienced tuesday night far exceeded any of my expectations.It was overwhelming.Tool redefined the live concert experience for me.There are no tired rock and roll cliches for these guys,they brought an original performance that moved and flowed on its own accord from the crunchy sound,the massive big screens that portrayed the inner workings of Tool constantly through out the show right down to the incredible light show and the unique placement of the band(namely Maynard).I can't wait for another chance to see this incredible band,I loved every minute of it
Old 11-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

I waited in anticipation for the Nov.27th show,not knowing what to expect as it was my first Tool concert.I have been a die-hard fan since the mid-nineties.What I experienced tuesday night far exceeded any of my expectations.It was overwhelming.Tool redefined the live concert experience for me.There are no tired rock and roll cliches for these guys,they brought an original performance that moved and flowed on its own accord from the crunchy sound,the massive big screens that portrayed the inner workings of Tool constantly through out the show right down to the incredible light show and the unique placement of the band(namely Maynard).I can't wait for another chance to see this incredible band,I loved every minute of it
OFFLINE |  
WookieeBlaylock's Avatar WookieeBlaylock
12-01-2007, 02:33 AM

The more I think about it, the more I realise that show in Saskatoon was likely the best show I've ever seen (heard).
Old 12-01-2007, 02:33 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

The more I think about it, the more I realise that show in Saskatoon was likely the best show I've ever seen (heard).
12-03-2007, 03:38 PM

I saw them last year in Edmonton, and these 2 shows top my list of all-time favorite concerts.

The fact that tool does what they want makes their show all the much better. I hate encores.

Nice to see Wings this time around, and Flood was amazing.

I totally agree with them not playing the same tired songs over and over again. It reminds me of an interview with Henry Rollins, where he said he'd rather pay his fans so he doesn't have to play Liar at every single show years after he wrote the song.

Oh, and Danny was truely amazing, as were the rest of Tool, I just love good drumming.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

I saw them last year in Edmonton, and these 2 shows top my list of all-time favorite concerts.

The fact that tool does what they want makes their show all the much better. I hate encores.

Nice to see Wings this time around, and Flood was amazing.

I totally agree with them not playing the same tired songs over and over again. It reminds me of an interview with Henry Rollins, where he said he'd rather pay his fans so he doesn't have to play Liar at every single show years after he wrote the song.

Oh, and Danny was truely amazing, as were the rest of Tool, I just love good drumming.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply