opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 06-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #41
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/06/14 - Hammersmith, UK - Apollo

great gig, amazing, danny carey is a god.

the only complaint i have is the brain dead fools who had seating tickets, arriving mid song, and blocking my view and other peoples, getting up mid song to go to the bar, toilet whatever, i mean i would be certainly pissed off if i were performing and people were in and out, in and out, turning up late. some even turning up when tool were into their 3rd song!

apart from that rant, they really blew my mind!

awesome!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

That was the only problem I had last night tbh, the group of people to the right of me stood up the whole time, and I had this dude infront of me who kept leaning forward and blocking my perfect view of the entire stage.

IMO, if you have front row seats you should be considerate of those behind you.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:20 AM   #43
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

One single phrase comes to mind:

MULTIPLE FUCKING MUSICAL ORGASMS.

They were immense. I loved every minute of it. Especially the part in Aenema where he sang
'I'm praying for rain.... I'm praying for tidal waves. I wanna see the ground give way. I wanna watch it all go down... Mom, please flush it all away....'
etc etc... didn't dare turn away from the stage and look behind me so not sure what those guys where doing but EVERYONE in standing had their hands in the air, singing their guts out. It was fantastic.

And I can't believe they opened with Stinkfist!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about explosive screams!!

Jesus.

November... anyone?
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=79756
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 07:51 AM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

Tool Concert Review 14/06/06

0700 - Woke up after a better sleep than was expected. Stinkfist going through my head already and I hadn't even had a shower.

0800 - Pack my bags for the trip down to jolly London town. Also, read the setlist from last night and even though it's not any different, I don't care. They could play 'The Pot' tonight but even if they didn't it will be amazing.

0945 - Take the train from Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston. Start writing this on my little iBook. Remembered I last saw Tool on 25/05/02 and think about the fact that almost exactly four years later, I have squeezed in a Masters of Physics degree. Remembered how TooL affected my life in it's infancy (so to speak) and now as I grow older, they are still an ever pressing entity.

Their music, for me, will be timeless. Some music (mainly pop) will become out of date and sound very strange when played in a few years. TooL however, have produced music that will stand the test of time.

Listening to 'Heat' soundtrack so that I don't get sick of tool. Whatever.

1600 - Started Queuing after we got to the hotel and dumped our stuff.

2045 - Alrighty then... picture this if you will...

Stinkfist (ext)
The Pot (Pause)
46&2
Jambi
Schism (fast)
Right in Two
Sober
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus (ext)
Vicarious
Ænema

Stinkfist on speed and amazing. The Pot with humorous pause after first two lines which no one expected! Extended lateralus.

Best gig I have ever seen, ever. Even if I am now deaf forever, I wouldn't care. Amazing. Worth all the money I ended up paying for today! even though our shower is retarded and makes the weirdest sounds i have ever heard i am going to be hyper till the next tour in november.

If you were the dude crowd surfing that I threw over the barrier...

Fuck you. Haha. I threw you miles. That's for kicking me in the head.

I was the tall guy in the black tshirt right at the front in the middle. I also lifted out that girl who fainted. Nice big muscles. Haha. (me that is).

Great crowd apart from the surfers. No need for it you dicks. Anyway, spiral out... see you all in November.... perfect.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 08:43 AM   #45
TJP

Im totally fucking speechless! that was the best gig i ever seen.... it was so raw, loud and damn sexy
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #46
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltank
What an amazing Show. Being in the standing area, I had the setlist pushed and shoved out of me, but I know they started with Stinkfist (extended) and concluded with ÆNIMA.

Maynard had some sort of speech where he spoke really fast about "a new song" and mentioned "Ten thousand days" and I believe quite a few people got excited that they'll play Wings, but to no avail :(

I progressed closer and closer to the centre and it was my first time to see the band this close, I can't wait until they return "In November".

Props go out to the couple from Chicago, I hope you enjoyed yourselves and sorry I couldn't pass the water early on :(

Next time they go, I really hope ALL areas are seated, this gives for such a better viewing/listening experience, a lot of people just want to see the musicianship (of course I understand a lot of others don't).
that wasnt a tall blonde girl and a shorter brown haired guy was it?

anyone get a look at maynard's belt???????? i want it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10K
Did anyone else happen to notice the camera at the back? And after the show, whilst standing at the back near the mixing desk, we spotted the sound guy taking a CD out and craftily putting it away...

yeh i did, it was a single camera pointed at the stage back with the sound guys - my guess is its for the bad to view the show etc - not for release of any kind, for review only kinda thing
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #48
tdn hottie

Bincount™: 35

i've written a myspace blog on both nights, if anyone feels like reading it. theres a couple of short video clips my friend took with her phone too.
http://www.myspace.com/37558489
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #49
Level 7 - Loquacious

awesome
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai_nese
They were immense. I loved every minute of it. Especially the part in Aenema where he sang
'I'm praying for rain.... I'm praying for tidal waves. I wanna see the ground give way. I wanna watch it all go down... Mom, please flush it all away....'
etc etc... didn't dare turn away from the stage and look behind me so not sure what those guys where doing but EVERYONE in standing had their hands in the air, singing their guts out. It was fantastic.

And I can't believe they opened with Stinkfist!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about explosive screams!!
hell yeah, that was immense. i was one of those people.

one of the best gigs of my life.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:58 PM   #51
Level 7 - Loquacious

*was the best gig of my life*
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

If Jamie (above) is the same young Aussie chap I think he is (who asked me for directions to a curry house in Glasgow) - then "hi"... : )

For me, the 2nd London gig was deffo as good as / maybe a tad better than the first - I went from the balcony (Tuesday) to downstairs, 2nd row slightly to the left of Adam (last night) - great view for the whole set...

Clearer sound, but still not Lateralus tour perfect, and the addition of The Pot without losing any 'proper' tracks was great. Band performance again fantastic.

Oddly I really noticed Maynard's "vocal assistance" last night - he frequently used footpedals to double track his voice or add echo - most noticeably on Sober and Lateralus but it was deffo used throughout. Although he can obviously do whatever the fuck he wants, I really don't see the point as his voice is fucking amazing anyway...whatever...

Setlist moaners on here getting boring now, it is what it is...they're not a fucking jukebox. Wait till Wembley Arena in November (which is what we're bound to get) where they'll probably play for longer, mix it up a little more and have a support band, yet the aircraft hangar venue will provide serious (lack of) atmosphere and acoustic problems. As much as I'd also like to see Third Eye played live again, it's pretty unlikely (but feel free to prove me wrong guys).

Some 'facts' for you... Maynard's mohican is stick on - a friend of a friend interviewed him for Xfm Scotland at the weekend and he was totally clean shaven on top. I saw him walking down Sauchiehall St. at about 12.30 lunctime on Saturday (with a male companion) but he had a cap on (and a Merkin Vineyard t-shirt - cheapskate!). Didn't want to hassle him on a busy Saturday afternoon... apparently he was also out at Glasgow's barfly club on the Saturday night...?

Re: Adam's lack of on-stage movement he never really has - I believe in part to being attacked by a real bison whilst tending to a mechanical bison, whilst making the Kevin Costner movie "Dances With Wolves". I'm sure many people here know this sort of background on him (in movie special effects) , but for any newcomers who may not...

Off to bed now, peace...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #53
Level 2 - Poster

This was my 4th Tool show and most probably the best, i think it will take a while to sink in. I don't want to repeat anything already said here so i will just keep it short.

How fucking loud was it in there??? My ears are still ringing 24 hours later!!! That was the loudest thing i have ever heard!!! Danny's gong smashes were immense.

Maynard seemed to be really pulling the moves!!! Some really freaky dances and poses and some rather funny comments by him.

Unfortunately Maynard's "Hope to see you in November" comments were no good to me cos i'm going to Australia then so lets hope they get down under around that time aswell!!!

I also thought the atmosphere between the crowd was excellent. Everyone seemed really happy to be there and connected by the collective cause.

Excellent venue, awesome performance, thank you tool.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

agreed.... also, my ears are still ringing now!

I saw the footpedals too, but Maynard was on form. They all were. It was so loud and so awesome.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 11:50 PM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

Hmm maybe I was at a different gig? I couldn't get into it at all, and neither could about 30 people around and about where I was standing who seemed to find the experience equally uninspiring.

The first point is, it was far, far too loud. I thought it sounded like an Amstrad 2 watt micro system, on full, pressed up against your ear drum. Most of the time it was just a distorted thrashing sound until Maynard started wailing, then you heard only sharp pains in your inner ear. Various guys in front of me had their ears cupped throughout while headbanging, so it was clearly too loud for the hardcore as well! When the crowd was screaming to Aenima it was literally like being staple-gunned in the ear. Overall the excessive volume seemed fucking contrived, and certainly not big, nor clever.

Once I'd got over the fact I'd probably never be able to hear anything quieter than a car alarm ever again, I found myself being pretty bored by the whole performance. Clearly, as you probably guessed, I'm a Tool virgin, but what a massive, massive disappointment for a band I've loved since the release of Aenima. Maynard thrusting his gonads like a pre-convicted Glitter wearing a completely wanky cowboy hat whilst trying to be amusing with some barely audible Irish and Ukranian quips. Certainly not the image I had in my head of somebody who was, previous to this gig, almost a deity in my eyes. Screaming "Fret for your hairdo" having clearly spent about 6 hours 40 minutes (I assume that's why they were late, thanks for letting 3000 people wait in the searing heat with no support act) carefully crafting his on-stage persona left a foul taste in the mouth.

Yes, I know I'm going to get mown down for this by legions of tool fans, but still, I thought rather than being a true, raw live performance, it was simply a carbon copy of the album versions only with the tracks stretched to an average of about 15 minutes. Songs just seemed to drag, with the same thrashing sound repeated over an additional 6-7 minutes, not seeming to add any real value to the set. And instead of a curtains-down encore so people could piss off and wet their whistles, we get them drinking in front of the crowd attempting to "work us up into a frenzy", which certainly struck me as being rather irresponsable considering girls (and possibly boys) were fainting in the crowd from heat exhaustion (as happened immediately behind me), but hey, that's so ROCK 'N' ROLL.

Overall I'm deeply disappointed with the whole night, and wished I didn't bother and kept Tool as a sort of live enigma, instead I'm forced to face the fact that they're 1/10th of the band I thought they were. Oh well, I hope some of you had a decent time!

Plus I couldn't get an Indian at 4:30pm so had to have a fucking KFC instead, basically it was the day from hell.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 12:04 AM   #56
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xethmir
The video camera looked like it was a professional get up, positioned unworryingly dead-center on a big tripod. I think we can look forward to seeing ourselves on a DVD soon. :)
don't bank on it. we have only been waiting 4 years for the lateralus tour dvd to be released.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 AM   #57
Level 2 - Poster

What a day!

Couldn't concentrate all day, the anticipation was tangible.
Driving through the pissing rain with 10,000 days blaring (I wouldn't usually listen to the band I was goin to see before the show, but I had to do something to stay sane this time) I could already feel the atmosphere building.

Before the start my heart was pounding,already attempting to get into sync with the rhythms to follow.

A completely fulfilling musical and physical experience, hearing Sober live was a big highlight for me. At times I just wanted to close my eyes and get lost, but I didn't want to miss the visuals and the sublime performance of the band.

The crowd towards the back of standing where I was, has to be the best crowd I have ever been in. Everyone totally involved in the music,one consciousness, fluid and dynamic and benevolent, quiet and contemplative when required (and demanded by the music) and more animated and emotional with the feeling of the song climaxes. To have been involved in this I am truly grateful.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 01:57 AM   #58

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxm
Hmm maybe I was at a different gig? I couldn't get into it at all, and neither could about 30 people around and about where I was standing who seemed to find the experience equally uninspiring.

The first point is, it was far, far too loud. I thought it sounded like an Amstrad 2 watt micro system, on full, pressed up against your ear drum. Most of the time it was just a distorted thrashing sound until Maynard started wailing, then you heard only sharp pains in your inner ear. Various guys in front of me had their ears cupped throughout while headbanging, so it was clearly too loud for the hardcore as well! When the crowd was screaming to Aenima it was literally like being staple-gunned in the ear. Overall the excessive volume seemed fucking contrived, and certainly not big, nor clever.

Once I'd got over the fact I'd probably never be able to hear anything quieter than a car alarm ever again, I found myself being pretty bored by the whole performance. Clearly, as you probably guessed, I'm a Tool virgin, but what a massive, massive disappointment for a band I've loved since the release of Aenima. Maynard thrusting his gonads like a pre-convicted Glitter wearing a completely wanky cowboy hat whilst trying to be amusing with some barely audible Irish and Ukranian quips. Certainly not the image I had in my head of somebody who was, previous to this gig, almost a deity in my eyes. Screaming "Fret for your hairdo" having clearly spent about 6 hours 40 minutes (I assume that's why they were late, thanks for letting 3000 people wait in the searing heat with no support act) carefully crafting his on-stage persona left a foul taste in the mouth.

Yes, I know I'm going to get mown down for this by legions of tool fans, but still, I thought rather than being a true, raw live performance, it was simply a carbon copy of the album versions only with the tracks stretched to an average of about 15 minutes. Songs just seemed to drag, with the same thrashing sound repeated over an additional 6-7 minutes, not seeming to add any real value to the set. And instead of a curtains-down encore so people could piss off and wet their whistles, we get them drinking in front of the crowd attempting to "work us up into a frenzy", which certainly struck me as being rather irresponsable considering girls (and possibly boys) were fainting in the crowd from heat exhaustion (as happened immediately behind me), but hey, that's so ROCK 'N' ROLL.

Overall I'm deeply disappointed with the whole night, and wished I didn't bother and kept Tool as a sort of live enigma, instead I'm forced to face the fact that they're 1/10th of the band I thought they were. Oh well, I hope some of you had a decent time!

Plus I couldn't get an Indian at 4:30pm so had to have a fucking KFC instead, basically it was the day from hell.

Its a pity you didnt enjoy it, I had a sort of similar experience when I saw them in 2001 for the first time - I think we build such huge expectations from the CD's and Tool's reputation, we forget a live set is just a live set no matter who is playing.

I think, like their studio sound, a greater appreciation comes to their live sound with time - make sure you check em out again in the future!

Wow, the volume seems to be a real issue - I got the screeching in my ears and pain in my head from the first song, so I moved back a bit, and must have found a spot where the acoustics were favourable, because the rest of the set sounded amazing.

If anyone is still hearing ringing after a few days, please go and see your doctor - not even Tool are worth damaging your hearing for!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 02:03 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai_nese
One single phrase comes to mind:

MULTIPLE FUCKING MUSICAL ORGASMS.

Jesus.

November... anyone?

Was it just me, or did anyone else hear a few mistakes with the vocals? I swear there was a couple of time when Maynard sang the first word of a different verse, and then quickly switched back to the right line on realising his mistake.

He def switched around the "fuck all you gangstas, and fuck your short memories" line with the one before!

I'll be back in Nov! Not sure what venue I want them to play, I'm going off the Apollo now. I guess Hammersmith would be good again.

I'd like to see a more interactive stageshow next time, more like what they were doing with APC. I've seen APC in the Apollo as well, and I think APC did a better set than the tues night, but where nowhere near the weds night.

Last edited by dekard49; 06-16-2006 at 02:06 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 02:15 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo

Oddly I really noticed Maynard's "vocal assistance" last night - he frequently used footpedals to double track his voice or add echo - most noticeably on Sober and Lateralus but it was deffo used throughout. Although he can obviously do whatever the fuck he wants, I really don't see the point as his voice is fucking amazing anyway...whatever...
If they were filming it, as some people have speculated, it would make sense for him to try and put on as professional sounding, thorough vocal as he could, I guess.

Quote:
I saw him walking down Sauchiehall St. at about 12.30 lunctime on Saturday (with a male companion) but he had a cap on (and a Merkin Vineyard t-shirt - cheapskate!). Didn't want to hassle him on a busy Saturday afternoon... apparently he was also out at Glasgow's barfly club on the Saturday night...?
Lol, you can just imagine the sort of hissy fits he would throw being stopped on the street. I've always tried to be objective about rock star personas, and what you read on the net, but I now know a number of people who have actually met Maynard, and they all agree he is a bit odd (and thats being generous).

I dont know any women who have met him though, apparently hes a lot more friendly to them...

Quote:
Re: Adam's lack of on-stage movement he never really has - I believe in part to being attacked by a real bison whilst tending to a mechanical bison, whilst making the Kevin Costner movie "Dances With Wolves". I'm sure many people here know this sort of background on him (in movie special effects) , but for any newcomers who may not...
Go on...?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 02:17 AM   #61
Level 2 - Poster

First time I've seen Tool, and I thought it was spectacular. Everything was perfect, Maynard was everything I expected and more. Loudness wasn't an issue to me, but my ears are a piece of shit from seeing other bands live, anyway.

Glad to hear it was the best gig of many in some people's eyes, as seeing Tool this time as my first makes me feel lucky. Can't wait to hang up the GIGANTIC poster (it looked smaller on the night).
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #62
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Great gig! I got there around 7.15 and didn't have to queue to get in. Managed to get right to the front, next to the speakers on the right hand side.

The hightlights:

Maynard's comical dancing during Rosetta "Are there any controlled substances in the audience tonight?" Stoned.

The atmosphere - everyone around me was really euphoric (especially during Lateralus and Aenema). No goffeek arm folding.

The incredibly cool visuals

Being told by a guy when I walked in that 'Stalls Standing' did not actually mean I'd have to stand behind the seating area, and I actually had a normal standing ticket (silly me)

"See you in November"

The bad points:

Security waving their torches in your face every 5 minutes, making me feel like a criminal for taking the bag carrying the t-shirt I bought into the venue (I'd already left my backpack in the cloakroom and didn't want to have to queue again)

The queue for the cloakroom afterwards which stretched all the way around the corner

The girl next to me who repeatedly elbowed me in the side with her bizarre dancing...until I elbowed her back and tried to look innocent when she glared at me

The hairs on the tail of God are monstrous.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 03:04 AM   #63
Level 7 - Loquacious

It was an amazing gig. Wear earplugs or at least bring them if you're going to be a pussy about noise! I saw prodigy last year at that was louder. I was right at the front and I don't care or know about anyone else, but I thought that the music was BETTER than on the CDs. It was perfect and so, so powerful. I liked it loud. As for KFC, fair play. I just got some water. I think I lost about 3 litres in sweat.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 AM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I have to say compared to the Tuesday night I was a bit disappointed with the second night.

I thought the crowd was a lot less atmospheric (but that could have been where I was standing (left hand side on one of the barrier things about 50yds back from the stage). There wasn't the same electricity in the air before the band started and the venue seemed to take a lot longer to fill up, despite the fact the Hammersmith line had been fucked the day before. I also had a bunch of people in front of me who were talking during practically all the songs - quiet and loud parts, and a couple of girls who obviously had no idea who Tool were and looked extremely bored/confused during anything pre-10,000 Days. That groups also included a blonde female behemoth who spent about 45% of the gig checking to see what time it was on her phone. This was really not what I was expecting from Tool fans.

I'd say the sound mix was a lot clearer than on the first night - Maynard's vocals were a lot higher in the mix and they'd eliminated the bass feedback issues of the night before.

It was great to hear 'The Pot' live and I think the performances of 'Sober' and 'AEnima' just topped the performances of the night before for intensity.

Overall it was a tighter and better sounding show (less of a fall out after the gong hit in 'Lateralus' and other timing mess ups) but it lacked a lot of the energy and intensity from the first night. Whether that was the crowd, the band or me I don't know but the first night was a more fulfilling experience for me.

I was just a bit surprised at how static and informal the band were on stage. the gig on the 13th was my first Tool concert, but I'd seen APC on the 'Our First Step' tour and was absolutely blown away by how angry/aggressive and into it they seemed. I found it hard to reconcile the MJK I'd seen stamping his foot on the stage and screaming vocals in such anger with the surfer/round-em-up dancing guy I saw on stage last night. Adam was also very rooted to the spot which made him seem a bit disinterested.

I know it's a warm up tour etc. but for my £32 I was hoping they'd change the setlists a little more between the two nights - especially when Maynard mentioned people coming a second night. I really wanted to hear 'Pushit'. 'Prison Sex', 'Parabol/Parabola' or maybe even 'Wings'. The set did flow a lot better tonight with 'Rosetta' in the middle as it didn't really work as an opener on the first night.

I think part of the problem is that the show was very sterile and not as tight as I was expecting. I've got fairly high expectations to compare it with having seen APC and NIN - both of who had a great lights/stage show and sound production, but also went absolutely apeshit without missing a beat.

I feel really disappointed in myself that it wasn't the amazing experience I was hoping for.

BTW The sound was great for me with Etymotics earplugs :)

Last edited by merkabalus; 06-16-2006 at 03:16 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 03:23 AM   #65
Level 4 - Thinker

The greatest night of my life by far, absolutely amazing. my first time seeing tool...perfect set, perfect sound, perfect performance...my god.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #66
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Finger deep within the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Relax, turn around and take my hand.
Be A Human
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 09:14 AM   #67
Level 4 - Thinker

http://laut.de/lauthals/reviews/t/to...0608/index.htm For people who understand german this is an interesting review of the dusseldorf gig, but it can be easily transfered to the gig at hammersmith I think. Said but true.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancthulhu
The girl next to me who repeatedly elbowed me in the side with her bizarre dancing...until I elbowed her back and tried to look innocent when she glared at me
You must've been near me; was it a black haired girl and a blonde haired girl dancing? Because if so they fucking nearly ruined the gig for me as they shoved right in front of me when everyone stood up despite arriving at the venue at 8:00 while I arrived outside at 5:00, then acted like slags for the next hour (one of them constantly rammed her arse into my 'genitals') - eventually I spat on her back without her noticing for blocking my view ^_^.

I can't understand people who are saying the sound was too loud - have you never been to gigs before >_>; I was right at the very front and sound was perfectly fine, best I've heard at any gig (bar My Dying Bride)! Great balance - not too loud and not too quiet. Perfect show, if a tad short.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #69
Level 2 - Poster

I must say that my post initialy mentioned the volume issue that is now going the guns on here and my point was not that the loudness was a problem. I was merely stating that it was incredibly fucking loud and that really helped it to rock. Anyway, healthy debate is always encouraged.........................
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #70

Bincount™: 3

Nicely said. Cannot wait until November, hopefully we'll get to hear the grudge, and wings/10,000 days. That would be beautiful!! I'd imagine it to be at the Wembley Arena?

Would have to say Wednesday was the better of the night performance wise, but was better on the Tuesday (sitting) as I didn't have all these annoying fucks pushing me left, right and center. Hmm, shall tell me to pick up seating for the future....

Right in two would be the closest I could put to a 'religious experience' it was amazing! Did anyone feel there heart nearly explode once Danny smacked the gong at the end of Lateralus? Fuck me!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #71
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

koobcam, I know what you're saying, but at the same time, many of travelled a long way to see the show, which on it's own cost us £32. While it's cool that it's about the music, (and it always should be), £32 for an hour and a half of standing around is taking liberties slightly. With the Lateralus tour, the videos and such were very extravegant, and there was an overall experience going on. But in this gig, to be fair, Adam did look abit disinterested, and the displays were very minimal, and they only played for an hour and a half, with no support band. It's not about getting over yourself, it's about getting over the money it cost you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #72
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show!

My review:
http://gregoryjackson.blogspot.com/2006/06/tool-concert-london.html
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 03:08 AM   #73
Level 7 - Loquacious

I'm well over the money it cost me. It was an amazing show. I didn't want a support band. I am there for tool. Not a fan of support bands. Poor fuckers have a hard time unless they're either really good or a well known band.

I thought adam looked how he always does. Visuals were good in my opinion. I didn't see lateralus tour in a small venue, so I can't compare. I saw it at Ozzfest. Still rocked though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 03:31 AM   #74
Level 1 - Lurker

i wouldnt say it was cheap, but it was still definitely worth the money. money spent on experiences is always better than money spent on things, imo. the £30 ticket could maybe be replaced by 2 nights out instead of one. but the gig was incredible, and you'll never forget it for the rest of your life (at least for me).
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 08:39 AM   #75
Level 3 - Talker

My ticket cost me 70 quid on eBay (long story) - worth every penny however, superb gig.
I enjoyed it much more than the Lateralus gigs, and they were genius.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #76
Bex
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by he-wolf
apparently in the times/guardian some critic rinsed the gig like only a critic can. anyone read it? (not that a critic's review is any more relevant than anyone else's)

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14936-2227164,00.html

here you go, from The Times... it's actually pretty positive :)

nice descriptions, but I'm not sure if it's from the 13th or the 14th... doesn't matter either way I suppose!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #77
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekard49
Was it just me, or did anyone else hear a few mistakes with the vocals? I swear there was a couple of time when Maynard sang the first word of a different verse, and then quickly switched back to the right line on realising his mistake.

He def switched around the "fuck all you gangstas, and fuck your short memories" line with the one before!

I'll be back in Nov! Not sure what venue I want them to play, I'm going off the Apollo now. I guess Hammersmith would be good again.

I'd like to see a more interactive stageshow next time, more like what they were doing with APC. I've seen APC in the Apollo as well, and I think APC did a better set than the tues night, but where nowhere near the weds night.

yeah there were a few minor vocal mistakes and some tiny timing glitches... i'd say they can be forgiven for it but who the hell am i to judge? They still did amazingly well. I couldnt really be bothered to linger too much on any of the 'mistakes'.

Nice one! I really wish I'd seen APC live during their last tour. I have a very very unnatural desire to hear a few of their tracks live. And oh God... seriously wish Tool played Hooker With A Penis. Such a simple track but I love it so much!!!!!!!!!
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=79756
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: