opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Jan-Feb 2007
User Name
Password
Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2007/01/25 - Sydney, AUS - Olympic Park Showgrounds

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/25 - Sydney, AUS - Olympic Park Showgrounds

wow, great show!!

Set was pretty stsandard, and we got Opiate which sounded great:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism (extended)
Opiate
Sober
LAteralus
Vicarious
Aenema

yeah really good. band seemed pretty happy and Maynard said, once again, 'see you in December' - so a tour is well and truely on in Oz in Dec 07!!

THe crowd was pretty annoying at times, guys trying to create circle pits all set and some totally uneccesary pushing and squashing, but there were alot of fans singing along and feeling every note.

The crowd totally lost it Aenema. hands in the air, eyes closed, singing at the top of their lungs - beautiful.

Great Tool set to end a great Big Day Out!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

"Go home and take a bath" before breaking into Ænema.

Priceless.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Haha, just got home and people are already on this forum.
Danny's solo during the extended schism was just fucking gold with all the crazy imagery on the screens. Great show
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

oh yeah...and peace out to the mid 60 year old looking dude sporting his tool shirt and long ass dreads. you rock mate!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

A really really fantastic set from Tool tonight. Camped on the barrier from before Jet came on and the crowd was totally psyched by the time Tool came out. There were chants of 'Tool..Tool..Tool' before even Jet came on.
Was completely blown away by the performance. Thought the band totally went off today - Maynard was rocking balls out there, and of course Danny was just supreme, the holy master.
Powerful sound and, at least where i was, the crowd were just LOVING it! There were dozens of people who sang next to every word.
As anyone at this show (or the sideshow) would have experienced, the closing 'triad' (not the song) of: Lateralus, Vicarious and Aenema absolutely pillages one. 22 minutes of unbridled carnage at the end - just beautiful. But as for the rest: stinkfist and 46 & 2 exploded and Opiate was huge.. Schism was a total mindfuck, Danny was just astonishingly good. Sound was good (although vocal sound wasn't as good as the sideshow) and this lighting (and video) show of Tool's is the best I've seen.
I sound like a cheerleader, but really: Tool just owned the big day out tonight, I will definitely never forget this show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Some photos.... more to come.

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w158/ogtool/Big%20Day%20Out/
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 103

Oh wow. I just got excited all over again :p First time seeing them live. Managed to get about 5 rows back from the front after Jet but as usaul the drunken yobbos who dont particularly care for the band or anyone else for that matter started pushing around and squishing. Couldnt see anything anyway (many tool fans are tall :\ ), so we moved back and i actually had a pretty good view for the whloe thing. The lasers were awesome, everything was awesome!! So stoked that they played Opiate.

"go home and take a bath"
Old 01-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

I hadn't seen Tool live for over 10 years and this show was phenomenal. All the extended jams and variations were a surprise - last two times I saw them, they played the songs just as recorded and disappeared. The flaming hand on the stadium wall was a great touch, too - anyone else think this was a very tool/alex grey visual? Loved how they kept calling us hippies! It made a change from all the people calling me an EMO all day.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-26-2007, 12:47 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Awesome, was in the D barrier for Killers, jet, muse and of course tool.

Muse kicked ass except their new songs sucked ass live, tool once again had a very amped crowd before they came on. I was sore as fuck from the SEC gig (was slammed against the front barrier for the whole thing :P) but i still hit the mosh hard hah it was great seeing people singing along passionately. I sang every single breath my lungs had left.

Everything was great, sober and opiate and the pot were great live but not as good as rosetta/wings/swamp from the night before.. Still great fun tracks..

Adams intro to schism is fucking beautiful, the double time in schism almost made me wet my fucking pants once again just fucken amazing.. seriously when Justins bass comes in it just takes you to another world. Tool are the best band ever hands down :P

I have to say favourite song of this gig was Schism, the intro, the double time and also singing "Between supposed lovers/brothers" with my arms around my best mate and my girlfriend was magic :P
Also singing the whole "spiral out" with my mates in lateralus was amazing.. Lateralus is a monster live, so is vicarious.. so awesome.

See ya in december.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

The extended outro and new bridge to Opiate was fucking great and the drawn out "Why can't we...not be...etc" outro to Sober really changed the feel of that song for me from something being drenched with despair to something optimistic. I really liked that.

"Great weather, great music, lots of hippies. Go home, take a bath" <Aenema>

- Mr. Keenan
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-26-2007, 01:08 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Agreed with everyone above. Tools sounded expecially tight. I was in the same boat, got a good spot about 5 rows back, but complete BDO retards forced me back, and im a big guy too... (sorry, might have been one of the tall tool fans :P). To all fan's a notice, if you ever hear a friend say they are going to a tool show, or use the term "that tool song is fucking awesome" then kindly ask them to avoid the show. I doubt they'll appreciate it like we do :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-26-2007, 01:13 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Yeah, I much prefered to sideshow because it was everyone there were Tool fans and they were all appreciating and enjoying the show together. I guess this is why the band chose to keep songs like 10,000 days for that kind of atmosphere.

The problem with BDO is there is a whole bunch of drunken yobbos which feel the need to cause trouble up front. Luckily me and my friends found a nice pocket of Tool fans right on the D barrier (couldn't get in :( ) and enjoyed every word of it.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:52 AM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Awesome show! Even though the sound was a bit off from where i was standing towards the end the phenomenal atmosphere made up for it and of course tool rocked ass. I even had a karaoke session with a cool lady next to me! Priceless! =D
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goto-sleep View Post
oh yeah...and peace out to the mid 60 year old looking dude sporting his tool shirt and long ass dreads. you rock mate!
Dude he was sitting right in front of me haha like 3 rows forward!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

I was glad to hear Opiate. I didn't think the band were that tight on this night - maybe tired from the show the night before. Nard wasn't singing well and a few songs seemed a bit...lumbering.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Amazing.

That describes everything the show was for me. It was my first live Tool experience and by gawd....It was incredible.

I was utterly mesmerized by Danny's drums, and Maynard's voice does things to me.

I was standing to the left of the stage, outside the D barrier. I ran up to the grandstand where my brother was though, half way through Opiate, because my friend was getting tired of standing..

And poor little 5"4' me wasn't staying there alone.

But everyone was really good. I was told that we would be crushed, but the people around us were just genuine Tool fans, there to hear the music.

And how freeking incredible it was.

Aenema was probably the highlight for me. It's one of my most loved songs, and the crowd just went off. All the Tool fans around me were singing as loud as they could and were loving the moment.

It was such a tiring day, and I came back with blisters and bruises, but it was ocmpletely worth it to see Tool
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show - up against sound booth barrier directly behind D-Barrier on the Orange Stage side. Had an almost uninterrupted view of the whole band, (no tall people in front and thankfully no girls on shoulders during Tool) but obviously concentrated on watching Danny Carey go for it. The songs sounded slightly slower that I remember on previous tours, as reflected in previous posts, maybe they had a big night with their solo show? Maybe so that Adam can keep up??
Maynard barely spoke at all, apart from the hippie references mentioned earlier - no prizes as to why he might be saying that! hehehe =Q
Justin really gets into it these days, which is good to see. Enjoyed Maynard's scream during Opiate, as well as his interpretive dance throughout the nite - he was really gettin into it. The general atmosphere was great - the stands looked packed, although I think the Arena was busiest for Killers (played an awesome set) and seemed to clear out slightly after Muse (they rocked out!!) which was great to 'ease the squeeze'. ;) (Did anyone else hear Esky mojo do a cover of U2's "New Year's Day"? It definately made me shut up and turn my head!)
Highlights were Stinkfist, 46 & 2, Opiate (not many people were singing along), Vicarious and the crowd went ballistic during Aenema - learn to swim! The extended jam in Schism certainly adds value to that track.
Can't wait for Wednesday night in the Bowl in Melbourne - have got seats so it will be easier to concentrate on the band instead of having to avoid drunk punters pissing themselves (a chick behind us nearly knocked out a bloke who lacked bladder control - what a moron!) Friends further back on the fenceline saw quite a few fights from crowd jumpers rushing into the D-section, a Big Day Out had by all!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 103

DJ Hoppy... i know you said you had a good view from behind the D... was everything rather distant though, and could you see the detail on the screens? Thats why i was reluctant to move back any further than i already was, despite my friend wanting to go sit.

Does anyone else think im a horrible person for refusing to give in to my friends consant whingeing about sore feet after i stood through my chemical romance without complaint ?? :p

Last edited by one_reflection; 01-30-2007 at 02:42 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_reflection View Post
DJ Hoppy... i know you said you had a good view from behind the D... was everything rather distant though, and could you see the detail on the screens? Thats why i was reluctant to move back any further than i already was, despite my friend wanting to go sit.

Does anyone else think im a horrible person for refusing to give in to my friends consant whingeing about sore feet after i stood through my chemical romance without complaint ?? :p
Not neccessarily horrible, but in my opinion the view of the screens from the back of the D, and in the mosh pit are more or less the same. Personally I've always felt the view is just as good a little further back, and it's far more convenient.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:59 AM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

God, how awesome was it when everyone raised their arms when the 'I'm praying for raaain' line was sung? Absolutely Holy. It was such an intuitive response by everyone to the words and music. And I loved the visuals most during Lateralus - 'spiral out'. Perfectly complemented the music.

I thought vocals weren't quite loud enough though. Either that or the people around me were singing way too loud and obtrusively.

I got into the D and was by myself despite being female and skinny and below 5'3! So whoever that was who posted above me who went to get a seat; don't let your size stop you!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

hey stickwriter... the hands in the air during Aenema will stay with me always.. still get goosebumps remembering that. it is truely amaazing what music can do to people. we were all one in hat moment - amazing
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-03-2007, 04:59 AM   #23
red right hand (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 414

Out of the Gold Coast BDO, the SEC show and this concert, I'd have to say Maynard was the chattiest at this one. Looking back now, I think he only made the comments about the hippies, and another little speal about fantastic music/weather/company, but it seemed like a lot at the time compared to the other performances. Aenema absolutely went off as well at this show. Great gig.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: