Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
SubconsciousFeer's Avatar SubconsciousFeer
04-17-2006, 10:10 AM

to start of, im really enjoying this whole conspiracy theory of vicarious being a hoax thats going around. its actually funny because first of all if it were true it unlikely because lets face it, vicarious is not a bad song.

now for some actual discussion of the song, id like to pose this question? does anyone think that if eMOTIVe had never been released (im not sayin if apc had never been, just that cd) that people (well the ones who dont like the song) would be more accepting and willing to like the song?

another thing i just wanted to discuss about in referrence to maynards vocals. i like them, but so far im having a little trouble in the fact that he doesnt really seem to be selling the message. maynard is trying to portray a person that really does like choas, some one that is fixated on seeing violence in tv and death in news stories, but he sounds a little TOO sarcastic, like making fun of those who are only entertained by such chaos (subconsciously entertained of course, since people dont just like chaos and death out of nothing). it might just be that i dont see him as a destruction loving person since lateralus was such a "optimistic" thinking album (aside from ticks and leeches), so i just need to get out of that state of mind for this album.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12
some random topics of discussion

to start of, im really enjoying this whole conspiracy theory of vicarious being a hoax thats going around. its actually funny because first of all if it were true it unlikely because lets face it, vicarious is not a bad song.

now for some actual discussion of the song, id like to pose this question? does anyone think that if eMOTIVe had never been released (im not sayin if apc had never been, just that cd) that people (well the ones who dont like the song) would be more accepting and willing to like the song?

another thing i just wanted to discuss about in referrence to maynards vocals. i like them, but so far im having a little trouble in the fact that he doesnt really seem to be selling the message. maynard is trying to portray a person that really does like choas, some one that is fixated on seeing violence in tv and death in news stories, but he sounds a little TOO sarcastic, like making fun of those who are only entertained by such chaos (subconsciously entertained of course, since people dont just like chaos and death out of nothing). it might just be that i dont see him as a destruction loving person since lateralus was such a "optimistic" thinking album (aside from ticks and leeches), so i just need to get out of that state of mind for this album.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
praefector's Avatar praefector
04-17-2006, 10:14 AM

i like the vocals. powerful yet no more powerful than any other instrument. the lyrics are straightforward and thus easier to interpret on an individual basis. as they say, the journey is more important than the destination.

as for the haters/lovers....schism was received in a similar fashion so i believe this bodes quite well for the album

as for the eMotive stuff...id prefer APC werent brought up at all...that was billy howerdel's band and billy howerdel has nothing to do with tool. maynard being in both bands obviously is going to create a little bit of crossover...especially since adam said in his GW interview that the band became much more emotionally involved in the music during the making of this record.

i would prefer we all analyze the music of and by its own merits instead of incessantly comparing it to other things....but that's my perfect world and nobody will come live with me in it : (
Old 04-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020
Re: some random topics of discussion

i like the vocals. powerful yet no more powerful than any other instrument. the lyrics are straightforward and thus easier to interpret on an individual basis. as they say, the journey is more important than the destination.

as for the haters/lovers....schism was received in a similar fashion so i believe this bodes quite well for the album

as for the eMotive stuff...id prefer APC werent brought up at all...that was billy howerdel's band and billy howerdel has nothing to do with tool. maynard being in both bands obviously is going to create a little bit of crossover...especially since adam said in his GW interview that the band became much more emotionally involved in the music during the making of this record.

i would prefer we all analyze the music of and by its own merits instead of incessantly comparing it to other things....but that's my perfect world and nobody will come live with me in it : (
Mortal Moxie's Avatar Mortal Moxie
04-17-2006, 10:16 AM

It's possible that he's not speaking from his own perspective.

For the most part I believe the lyrics subconsciously made me realize he's mostly singing about people just like me. If that makes sense.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

For the most part I believe the lyrics subconsciously made me realize he's mostly singing about people just like me. If that makes sense.
04-17-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal Moxie

it affected me the same way as well

and even later when i was watching fox news (non-stop hilarity spin news) and there were about 5 shock stories in a row (wife killed by husband, child abduction, deaths in the middle east, etc ) and i instantly trailed off and started thinking about vicarious
Old 04-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal Moxie

it affected me the same way as well

and even later when i was watching fox news (non-stop hilarity spin news) and there were about 5 shock stories in a row (wife killed by husband, child abduction, deaths in the middle east, etc ) and i instantly trailed off and started thinking about vicarious
04-17-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector

(
i agree that both bands should be looked at as two completly different entities (sp), the only reason it popped into my head is the subject matter of the song. very remisnicent of wat emotive was about, you know death, destruction, war (well not so much war).
Old 04-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

(
i agree that both bands should be looked at as two completly different entities (sp), the only reason it popped into my head is the subject matter of the song. very remisnicent of wat emotive was about, you know death, destruction, war (well not so much war).
04-17-2006, 10:22 AM

for me, I really don't see the lyrics as sarcasm. The seem a little more straightforward. Not the he himself is seeing things that way, but that he sees it all around him.

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
Old 04-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #6

Bincount™: 4

for me, I really don't see the lyrics as sarcasm. The seem a little more straightforward. Not the he himself is seeing things that way, but that he sees it all around him.

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
04-17-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousFeer

i hadnt read into it like that

mainly since emotive was nothing more than a terrible terrible cover album and is likely what led to the dismantling of the band.

i just pretend it never existed
Old 04-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:

i hadnt read into it like that

mainly since emotive was nothing more than a terrible terrible cover album and is likely what led to the dismantling of the band.

tangent's Avatar tangent
04-17-2006, 10:26 AM

I think it's kinda obvious what the song is about...........................

D
E
C
O
Y
Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

D
E
C
O
Y
04-17-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
hahah true, not a very good album. but is it just me or is anyone else liking the "dies" at 1:39 on vicarious that sounds like maynards voice in gimmie gimmie gimmie or lets have a war on emotive. that sort of scratchy growling voice. and i couldnt stand that voice is those tracks, but now that part in vicarious is growing on me.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
hahah true, not a very good album. but is it just me or is anyone else liking the "dies" at 1:39 on vicarious that sounds like maynards voice in gimmie gimmie gimmie or lets have a war on emotive. that sort of scratchy growling voice. and i couldnt stand that voice is those tracks, but now that part in vicarious is growing on me.
04-17-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent

D
E
C
O
Y

so is the new toolband intro a decoy intro?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:

D
E
C
O
Y

04-17-2006, 10:33 AM

ill have to play devil's advocate here, but the leak is very suspicious. it was just so damn... easy. still, only playing devil's advocate.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

ill have to play devil's advocate here, but the leak is very suspicious. it was just so damn... easy. still, only playing devil's advocate.
04-17-2006, 10:35 AM

guess it wasnt that funny

Last edited by praefector; 04-17-2006 at 10:40 AM..
Old 04-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #12

guess it wasnt that funny

Last edited by praefector; 04-17-2006 at 10:40 AM..
dekard49
04-17-2006, 10:44 AM

I was always more than happy to consider APC and TOOL as 2 separate entites; in fact thats why I enjoyed them both so much, because they were so different (even with the same singer), and didnt seem to intrude on each others spaces.

Vicarious has changed that for me.

I think, as an album opener, it reonates closer to APC and 13th Step then to previous TOOL albums. I am very lyrics/vocals orientated though.

"The Package" and "Vicarious" both utilise the vocals in a very direct way to emphasize a point, the mechanics actually act as part of the narrative. This is very APC-ish for me, b/c thats where I heard it first and where i recognise it from.

I think the effect is superior in "The Package."

I'm not particulary having a bash, just making an observation.

Last edited by dekard49; 04-17-2006 at 10:46 AM..
Old 04-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #13

Bincount™: 7

I was always more than happy to consider APC and TOOL as 2 separate entites; in fact thats why I enjoyed them both so much, because they were so different (even with the same singer), and didnt seem to intrude on each others spaces.

Vicarious has changed that for me.

I think, as an album opener, it reonates closer to APC and 13th Step then to previous TOOL albums. I am very lyrics/vocals orientated though.

"The Package" and "Vicarious" both utilise the vocals in a very direct way to emphasize a point, the mechanics actually act as part of the narrative. This is very APC-ish for me, b/c thats where I heard it first and where i recognise it from.

I think the effect is superior in "The Package."

I'm not particulary having a bash, just making an observation.

Last edited by dekard49; 04-17-2006 at 10:46 AM..
tangent's Avatar tangent
04-17-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yes. The real intro is still up, the one that has been there for ages.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Yes. The real intro is still up, the one that has been there for ages.
04-17-2006, 10:49 AM

praefector is referring to the one that appears after you refresh the main page. i guess theyre still working on putting that one up.

edit: nvm, they already do have it as the main page
Old 04-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

praefector is referring to the one that appears after you refresh the main page. i guess theyre still working on putting that one up.

edit: nvm, they already do have it as the main page
DWdrummer
04-17-2006, 10:53 AM

Old 04-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 5

ARMZ's Avatar ARMZ
04-17-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Look up the word 'vicarious', the song makes a lot more sense when you understand that.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #17
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 415

Quote:
Look up the word 'vicarious', the song makes a lot more sense when you understand that.
04-17-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer
russian tool page

?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer
russian tool page

?
04-17-2006, 11:01 AM

and yeah the word "vicarious" pretty much defines the theme of the song as it appears to me

we watch shock news (wife killed by a husband, man shot by his own son, etc) because seeing people die from a "safe distance" makes us feel more alive. we vicariously experience the pain and suffering of others to enrich our own lives.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #19

and yeah the word "vicarious" pretty much defines the theme of the song as it appears to me

we watch shock news (wife killed by a husband, man shot by his own son, etc) because seeing people die from a "safe distance" makes us feel more alive. we vicariously experience the pain and suffering of others to enrich our own lives.
04-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMZ
haha i guess i keep forgetting wat vicarious means. maybe i should read the difinition like 20 more times so i can finally engrave it into my head and then see the song through that perspective
Old 04-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMZ
haha i guess i keep forgetting wat vicarious means. maybe i should read the difinition like 20 more times so i can finally engrave it into my head and then see the song through that perspective
04-17-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
At first I didn't like the lyrics but after grabbing my dic....tionary and looking up the word I started to understand what or even why Maynard wrote those lyrics.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #21
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 415

Quote:
At first I didn't like the lyrics but after grabbing my dic....tionary and looking up the word I started to understand what or even why Maynard wrote those lyrics.
martyr_02's Avatar martyr_02
04-17-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:

D
E
C
O
Y

P
R
O
O
F

Seriously, give me some reasons as to why its fake. I think that a lot of fans expect tool to do stuff like this, ie fake tracklistings decoy albums etc., so they don't think anything is real. I think the leaked vicarious is real and will continue to think so until May 2nd or something else comes out.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #22
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 7297

Quote:

D
E
C
O
Y

P
R
O
O
F

Seriously, give me some reasons as to why its fake. I think that a lot of fans expect tool to do stuff like this, ie fake tracklistings decoy albums etc., so they don't think anything is real. I think the leaked vicarious is real and will continue to think so until May 2nd or something else comes out.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply