opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Jan-Feb 2007
User Name
Password
Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2007/01/24 - Sydney, AUS - Entertainment Centre

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/24 - Sydney, AUS - Entertainment Centre

Amazing show only wish they had played Third Eye other than that it was bloody awesome.

Setlist:
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie (Part 1)
10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænima

Last edited by heardy; 01-24-2007 at 02:09 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

CORRECT Setlist:

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
SWAMP SONG
Wings For Marie (Part 1)
10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænima
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

And to correct again, i think you'll find Schism was in there too... just after Jambi.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Stinkfist (standard live version with extended breakdown)
forty fix & 2
Jambi
Schism (with fast breakdown middle bit thingo)
Lost Keys (no dialogue/vocals)
Rosetta Stoned
Danny drum solo (sounded VERY much like Ticks & Leeches and Triad)
Swamp Song
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenima

Some nice spacey/soundscape seagues again. Big Danny solo leading into Swamp
Song. The solo felt SO MUCH like Ticks & Leeches, I was thinking they were going to go into it, and thought to myself "I didn't expect this song to ever appear live again...". Turns out, it didn't. :-)

It looked like MJK instigated the solo, he went over to Dan to say something then Danny started playing, and the other guys backed off for a while. Maybe he needed a rest.

I think it was after Wings/10k Days, they did a soundscape seague type thing, MJK played around with his keyboard and then they all left their instruments and areas of the stage and all sat on Maynard's riser to have a few minutes break.

They didn't do "The Pot".

I'm not a huge fan of Wings/10k Days on the album, but live it is pretty special. Very effect when the crowd just chill out for a while and stand and watch. It's also when the lasers first appear...

The only 10k Days song I have yet to see live, which I really really want to see is "Right In Two". "The Pot" doesn't quite work for me live, it feels a bit flat. Jambi and Vicarious are great rockin' live songs though...

Tonight was my 10th time seeing 'Lateralus' being played live, and it was definetly one of the top 3 best performances of that song. Not to say any of the others were bad.
Live, that song really does just build and build and build and then fuckin blows you off your feet.

Maynard introduced Jambi with "just so you all know, the word of the evening, ala peewee's playhouse is, all one word - holyfuckingshit."

During the intro to Wings/10k Days, Maynard said something close to "as a favour, out of respect, please do not use flash cameras during this next song..."

We all know MJK hates flashes, but this is the first time I know of that he's asked for it to stop. Up until this point, there was quite a bit of camera action from the crowd.

The band came on at 8:45, probably after they realised at 8:30 there were more people outside than in. Show finished at 10:35.

"See you................at the......BEEEEE...DEEEEE.....OOOOH"

Yes, it was a fucking tight show. Everyone was at their best. The lighting spectacle was awesome as usual, but this time the 3 circle trusses above the stage came down and pointed at different angles during the show, mostly in the 2nd half. This doesn't happen at the BDO. It's a really brilliant effect, almost like UFO's coming down to check out the show.

The lasers are a really, really fucking great addition to Tool's show. At no point does it feel gimmicky or cheesy, which would be very easy to fuck up. The patterns and synchronisity of the lasers is very 'modern'. What I mean is, when I heard Tool now have lasers, I thought it could be a bit 80's, but they really pull it off well.
They look great at the BDO too, because they beam across the whole fucking venue.

2 nice huge big gigantic colourfully vibrant Alex Grey backdrops appear. After an initial black backdrop, it falls at the peak of Jambi to reveal the big eyes mural (like the background in the climax of the Parabola video). This later drops to show the 10k Days Alex Grey artwork, in full colour. Very nice.
These haven't appear at the BDO (yet) - I think they're too big!

The video projection is excellent as always too. I love the mix of older footage and newer CGI stuff. I have a gut feeling that they're using some shots from the AWOL Vicarious video?
It's a very nice effect how the video is split across 4 screens, as the screens can mirror in the middle, act as one giant screen, or each do their own thing. Quite a nice step forward from the previous tours. The video blends very nicely with the lighting too, neither upstaging each other.

Sound was fucking crisp too. Nice mix of everything. Personally, I think Maynard uses the megaphone a little too much during Rosetta Stoned, it's a bit hard to hear him with all the distorition. But it's a nice detail when he moves from megaphone to clean mic, as though he is mixing himself live. Good old 2 mic usage!

Pretty good crowd too, not too much thrashing around and they seemed quite captivated by Wings/10k Days and even the soundscapes. Very responsive crowd too. I just wish people would fuck off with their cell phones and cameras. I came to watch the band on stage, not through your 2 inch screen in my fucking face!

Great show all 'round.

--

Mekka Lekka Hi Mekka Hiney Ho

Last edited by Eamon; 01-24-2007 at 03:41 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Hey I took some photos of the show that are up here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/gallery/tool_240107/

to be honest the pics aren't that great - pretty hard conditions to shoot and only got the first song where none of the cool visuals/lights are on. anyway enough excuses :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Just to add:

After Rosetta Stoned they played Merkaba which instead of breaking into Sober, cut into Swampsong - a nice surprise.

Maynard was really on vocally last night too. He omitted a couple lines from Vicarious, but I think that was moreso due to a fuckup on his part because the delivery of 'much better you than I' was fantastic.

Considering Adam's regular stage presence, he was oddly animated last night. It was nice to see him at the end of the show raise both clenched fists in the air and shake them as he was walking off to a standing ovation :D

- Mr. Keenan
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

This was an amazing gig. Probably the best I've ever seen.

Wings/10,000 Days was epic, for the entire two I was standing there with goosebumps in awe. Lateralus was pretty awesome too, those were my two highlights.

Pretty good choice of venue I'd say, it's not as big as the superdome, yet big enough to fit a fair few in. Amazing sound on the night too. And to be cliched - the lasers were absolutely mesmerising.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissectional View Post
He omitted a couple lines from Vicarious, but I think that was moreso due to a fuckup on his part because the delivery of 'much better you than I' was fantastic.
He does this quite a lot. In QLD at least.
I'm not sure if it's because he's holding off from screaming too much these days, or if it's a smart-ass facetious way of letting the crowd sing that particular lyric, then him responding with 'much better you than I...."
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by audesys View Post
Hey I took some photos of the show that are up here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/gallery/tool_240107/

to be honest the pics aren't that great - pretty hard conditions to shoot and only got the first song where none of the cool visuals/lights are on. anyway enough excuses :)
Thanks heaps for the shots. Quick too! If they're your shots on a bad day, lemme know when you have a good day. Love #18. Again, top work and thank you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

I got in the front row dead set infront of Justin, who else was in the front row? JUSTIN GOES OFF LIVE! His so awesome, i recommend anyone to stand just where i did as it was brilliant. Adam seemed to turn and face his guitar in my direction whenever he was playing anything interesting anyway like for eg wings and alot of his solo's. Adam moved around abit! I always assumed he would just stand there not moving a muscle but he got into the groove in lots of songs. Danny is just fucking unbelievable i mean really! His drumming was so fucking crisp and perfect. Everyone i went with last night was like "woah DC is god" watching him improvise was amazing.

Although i know it was impossible, I coulda sworn ticks and leeches was going to be played when he improvised a drum solo half way through, the toms were indentical! And then at one point he played the intro the triad? There were some other improvs which consisted of bits and pieces from tracks i couldn't distinguish as i was so amped hah.

Highlight of the night was: Wings/10k & Lateralus (Fucking beautiful) Not to mention i really enjoyed every single 10k days track live a little more then the other material, vicarious and jambi fucking SPOKE. Danny's drumming was so damn crisp in vicarious i was just shaking my head in awe.

Anyway i could go on forever but i have BDO to go to, more tool!!!!! and loads of beer ;P

PEACE OUT

mexican wave video taken by my gf(will upload more vids when i get time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhMh31A0w5k
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Can't really add any detail so i'll just say it was Fucking amazing.

No mention of tool returning later in the year though?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

TOOL have done it again!! They continue to amaze all who witness their majesty and power on stage. They were all in fine form. A pleasant surprise having a drum solo - sounded like it was gonna be Ticks and Leeches at first...Later in the show it sounded like Prison Sex was coming, but they veered into Lateralus. Swamp Song rocked out big time and Jambi was awesome. Was hoping to hear The Pot, maybe next time. There were a few experimental interludes and some altered arrangements in places such as in Schism where a beefed up middle section was inserted. Maynard delivered a verbal SMS prior to the final song "C U at the BDO". Thanks to the band, please come back soon. Thanks to the Ent Cent staff - everything ran pretty smooth as far as I could see. I could sense a real feeling of togetherness, and having shared an amazing experience among the crowd at the end of the concert as the auditorium emptied. As usual there was no encore, nor was one requested, everyone was well sated.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Haha yeh after Aenima / tool walk off stage, i turned around and headed out of the mosh and said "guys they arn't coming back" and they wouldn't budge lol, im like '"LOOK TAKE MY SPOT IM GETTING OUT OF HERE" all these guys thought i was crazy "dude do you know what an encore is??? pfft!"

i just ignored it and walked out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/gallery/tool_240107/

setlist is on the last photo here.

Last edited by kungfuonion; 01-24-2007 at 04:16 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

did anyone notice maynard with the towel to his mouth for the first few songs, right up around the time they substituted 'the pot' for the drum solo/swamp song.....and how weak his voice was through some parts of 46&2?
i don't know if the towel thing is just a maynard quirk, but my theory is that his voice is obviously straining and that towel probably had some throat stuff on it, and he was inhaling it to help him through....?
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuonion View Post
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/gallery/tool_240107/

setlist is on the last photo here.
it has The Pot there in the setlist, but they didn't play it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trasht View Post
did anyone notice maynard with the towel to his mouth for the first few songs, right up around the time they substituted 'the pot' for the drum solo/swamp song.....and how weak his voice was through some parts of 46&2?
i don't know if the towel thing is just a maynard quirk, but my theory is that his voice is obviously straining and that towel probably had some throat stuff on it, and he was inhaling it to help him through....?
yeah, i noticed that as well - his voice didn't seem as strong as I've heard it before

it'd alos kinda explain why they didn't do 'The Pot'
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by upandatthem View Post
yeah, i noticed that as well - his voice didn't seem as strong as I've heard it before

it'd alos kinda explain why they didn't do 'The Pot'
yeah, for sure. right before they were meant to the 'the pot' maynard was also motioning to justin with his hands, doing a swim like thing, i guess that was his way of saying NO POT. SWAMP SONG INSTEAD.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #20
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozfest View Post
Thanks to the Ent Cent staff - everything ran pretty smooth as far as I could see. I could sense a real feeling of togetherness, and having shared an amazing experience among the crowd at the end of the concert as the auditorium emptied. As usual there was no encore, nor was one requested, everyone was well sated.
Yes - I was so proud to be part of such a warm, responsive crowd. It must be great for a band to come so far and be in a huge space with thousands of people and feel so much respect and love. EVERYONE respected Maynard's request for no flashes during Wings 1 + 2. And the crowd just rocked. There seemed to be no problems at all and then afterwards everyone was milling around just raving about the band. It was a fabulous experience. I was 'kind-of' in charge of quite a few teenagers (my own children and ex-students) and I was not worried about their well-being at any time.

On the train home the kids were discussing how they would describe it to their friends and this was what they said:

"It. was. unbeliveable."
"You just had to be there - words can't describe how great it was."
"Ok - it is official - Tool are my favourite band."
"It was the most awesome day of my whole life."
"I learnt SO much - it was so helpful"

My son, Jordan (whom I often refer to as the "little drummer boy") cried during Schism!

For my part, I have to say, it was one of the most inspiring, moving, awesome experiences of my life.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

I am so fucking sore, but I always am after a big gig. I was right up the front, probably about 7-8 people out from the barrier in between adam and maynard. Holy shit was that a good spot. My mind really hasn't absorbed everything yet so I'll just try to break it down as best I can.

Sound - Absolutely phenomenal. The mix was perfect, not too loud, not too bassy, but still heavy as hell. Adam's guitar tone live is something very special too, the start of Jambi sounds fucking amazing. Best sound out of all the gigs I've been to without a doubt. The bass was clear and defined even when the rest of the band were hard at it. I don't know, maybe I was just standing in a really good spot, but to me it was just perfect.

The Guys - Flawless performance. Well almost. Adam bumped the d-string of his guitar during wings, which made me smile...they are human. Every song was executed perfectly and sounded amazing. Maynard was his usual talkative self (lol). Justin was humping his bass all night long, Danny is a fucking monster, god his drums are amazing live. Adam didn't show any emotion until the very end when he and the band hugged and thanked the crowd. I was right near Adam most of the time which was great for me as an aspiring guitarist because I could see all the little nuances of his playing, all the little mutes and hammers and pull offs he does that you don't get from listening to the cd or reading the tabs. Plus the electric razor on the pickups during the Merkaba breakdown was great. Unfortunately I still didn't get to see what he does to get that weird sound going into the bridge of stinkfist (maybe the same thing?). Oh well maybe next time.

Setlist - Standard setlist as expected but swamp song was a real treat. I never really liked Rosetta Stoned and imo it is a bit of a low point live. In fact a lot of the crowd didn't know any of the words and didn't respond to it like the rest of the setlist. Surprisingly the part of the song I dislike the most, the guitar solo, sounded fantastic live. Especially as the bass line comes in, Justin truly is the man. Anyway the rest was brilliant (swamp song ftfw!). Wings was fucking brilliant live, lots of emotion and probably the best laser part of the night. AEnima is a fantastic closer and a lot of fun to jump around and sing to. In fact the only thing I would have changed about the setlist is Extended Opiate in and Rosetta out. Other than that it was spot on. (Interestingly enough if you notice the setlist you see on the triple j website it says the pot instead of swamp song).

Lights - Pretty damn cool, same light show as the European tour. The smoke being released into the lasers looked amazing, especially during wings. Even though it wasn't my favourite song of the night, the visuals for Rosetta were pretty cool.

The Fans - Ok this was what I was concerned about going in. I know Tool's tendency to attract meatheads and they were out in force last night. The crowd on the floor was weird where I was, they were either trying to mosh to every song or they weren't moving at all. The moshing was fun to stuff like stinkfist and AEnima, but when things like Wings and Lateralus came on it was just fucking annoying. I had these stoner bogans around me who had no idea what wings was and started jumping around like idiots everytime it got a bit heavy. Plus people singing the riffs in Jambi. SHUT THE FUCK UP! Seriously what possessed you to do that? I heard people doing that in the bootlegs but I was hoping that lunacy was confined to America. Its disappointing because during those songs I was thinking about how fucking stupid these people were and not focusing on the music, which really sucks because it meant that Wings and Lateralus weren't the high points of the night for me, when they otherwise probably would have been.

Nevertheless, all in all it was an amazing experience. My ears are still ringing and my whole body feels like one big cramp...all signs that it was a fucking top gig. I sincerely hope they come back in the summer like they said at BDO. Although, as fun as the first half of the set was on the floor, I will probably be getting seats next time.

Peace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

That was quite simply an amazing show! That having been said, didn't enjoy it quite as much as the shows in '02 and '01. The songs from 10K were very tight and driving, but by the sheer length of Lost Keys/ Rosetta or Wings/10k - not to mention the whole group ambiance bit as intro to Vicarious - it chewed up time on the set where before they could play Parabol/Parabola and Disposition/Reflection/Triad and still comfortably fit in a lot of other staple songs like Sober, Opiate, Prison Sex, Eulogy, 3rd Eye etc..

The laser tricks were well done, especially the smoke feeds and the ricochets of the mirrors at the front edge of the stage.

A shame i missed out on BDO - I'd like to see if they vary the SL at all in the outdoor festival environment. Instead i find myself at work writing this post with a sore neck and a hangover (but still lsitening to 10,000 Days on headphones...).

Justin was on the JJJ breaky show this morning, and we finally get an exp about maynards rear-stage stance: the mikes work with less feedback if he's behind the PA, especially if he's well back from Adam's set-up. Plus theres the whole teamwork/concentration thing on getting the timings down for the sheer orchestartion of the later material.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

When they sat down I thought "Oh fuck it's going to be Lateralus/Vicarious/Aenima"

and then Wings started and I nearly shat the bed.

Wings/10KD was phenomenal. I was quite gobsmacked at the end.

Swamp Song was also a MAJOR highlight and Jambi rocked all kinds of shit.

Rosetta Stoned and Vicarious were a lot tighter than when I saw them in Honolulu last year.

Crowd was OK, we got stuck with some nasty drunk stocky bogans trying to slam dance and abusing our "tall ******" friends so we headed down back to the mix desk, much nicer.

looking forward to BDO today though I am pretty rooted
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA View Post

My son, Jordan (whom I often refer to as the "little drummer boy") cried during Schism!

hahahahaha, he's going to be so pissed when he reads that his mum told everyone on the toolnavy board that he cried at a concert :p
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #25
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by upandatthem View Post
hahahahaha, he's going to be so pissed when he reads that his mum told everyone on the toolnavy board that he cried at a concert :p
Nah - he wouldn't care!

Maybe it was different in the mosh but I thought the crowd were fantastic. It was like being in a passionate, overwhelmed, fanatical, metal choir!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

yeah, the crowd was really cool - there was a lot of love in the room last night :P
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA View Post
Nah - he wouldn't care!

Maybe it was different in the mosh but I thought the crowd were fantastic. It was like being in a passionate, overwhelmed, fanatical, metal choir!
The mosh was different. As I said there was this big cluster of bogans who were really fucking annoying, but on the same token they were fun to rock out with when the heavier songs were on. Where I was the crowd was of two extremes, I moved away from the moshers when lateralus came on but during vicarious I ended up going back because the crowd was too boring at the back. Im glad I did though because AEnima was so much fun.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

one word. HOWLYFUCKINGSHIT.

!!!!!!!!!

i was in the front row also, right infront of justin :) . .. was kinda blocking my danny view... hehe

Last edited by Mescaline; 01-24-2007 at 10:12 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

THANKYOU TOOL FOR WAKING US UP.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #30
Level 2 - Poster

The concert ripped so much shit over the BDO. Especially Danny's solo and the giant artwork that was uncovered at the back. I'm not going to comment much on the songs etc. because everyone has already said it.

Ahahaha, I just remembered, whoever the guy was that was doing some crazy ass dance on the stairs near section 24, rock on man. Arms were swinging and everything, was very cool. Also peace out to the chick that dyed herself blue.

trickma: I read your self description just before I went to line-up outside the show, so I kind of recognised you. Dude. Your girlfriend is hot. Congratulations. I would have said hi, but I don't really participate around here much so yeah...

Oh and about the crying thing: I shed a few during lateralus at the BDO, so helena, tell your son to rock on.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
The concert ripped so much shit over the BDO. Especially Danny's solo and the giant artwork that was uncovered at the back. I'm not going to comment much on the songs etc. because everyone has already said it.

Ahahaha, I just remembered, whoever the guy was that was doing some crazy ass dance on the stairs near section 24, rock on man. Arms were swinging and everything, was very cool. Also peace out to the chick that dyed herself blue.

trickma: I read your self description just before I went to line-up outside the show, so I kind of recognised you. Dude. Your girlfriend is hot. Congratulations. I would have said hi, but I don't really participate around here much so yeah...

Oh and about the crying thing: I shed a few during lateralus at the BDO, so helena, tell your son to rock on.
Yeh I saw the blue chick too, looked like she was going to a lord of the rings convention not tool concert but hey each to their own. I was wearing a cog shirt (ran out of cash to buy a tour shirt :() if anyone saw me...there was a few of them around though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #32
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Shout outs to the blue chick, the guy in section 24 who was using my binoculars (hope you got a good view) and the Scientologist recruiting outside the church before the show - thanks for the tickets to the free Scientology film, asshole.

My second Tool show after the Gold Coast Big Day Out. The night was amazing - the place was thick with atmosphere and the build up to them coming on stage was one of the most exciting experiences I've ever had.

Jambi was amazing as usual, especially the solo. Schism isn't one of my favourite Tool songs, but the break down is really great to see and hear. I was very glad we got Rosetta Stoned, they seemed to nail it, voiding my thoughts that they wouldn't be able to keep it tight live. The visuals at the end of the song blew my mind.

During the drum solo, I also thought we were going to get Ticks and Leeches. Oh well, you can't hope for miracles. I've never really been a huge fan of Swamp Song, although I rather enjoyed it live.

The break was very cool - it's awesome seeing an entertainment centre light up with thousands of cigarette lighters. They when Justin brought out the stool I knew Wings was coming. Best song of the night, hands down. I got quite emotional during this song - I probably would have paid the $120 just to see them play this. I found it extremely disapointing to hear people calling out and using flash cameras during 10000 Days. To me, its a song that deserves respect; if I had my way everyone would be silent, or at least not calling shit out. Still great to see live.

Lasers thorugh the show were simply breathtaking. Lateralus and Vicarious were both very very very cool, and Aenima, again, without a doubt the best possible way to end a concert. Amazing energy. Looking forward to seeing them in November/December, even if I have to fly to Sydney again.

Peace......Out.

Last edited by Penny; 01-25-2007 at 03:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 AM   #33
Level 3 - Talker

How great was it to hear swamp song? haven't heard that live since Alternative Nations
at Eastern Creek.
The stage visuals were supurb,the back drop falling mid Jambi was great.an old stage trick but it works brilliantly
but alas from our side all we got was Maynards back, he was very predisposed to looking Danny's way, stage left(Looking at the stage the right side)
We sat in section 34 and mostly looked at Maynards tattoo.Or his silohette.
My 7th Tool show in 12 years, hope they come back to our shore in this years as has been rumoured.

peace
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

Oh and one other thing all those cigerette lighters, how nice it was to see so many Nickleback fans at a TOOL show.
I thought the drum solo was also reminissent of Floods intro/mixed with Tics and Leeches
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 01:50 AM   #35
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Another thing: I had not realised until we were back in the car and listening to Undertow that once you see them live then you can visualise every song!

Until last night I had no idea what they really looked like on stage but now I can picture them in my mind. Easily.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

First tool show after waiting for so-ho-ho-ho long...

now i understand what people have been on about. Kills every live act iv ever seen.

Sound quality where i was (dead centre left right/up down, incidentally the best place to be to be apart of the lasers, watchem flying and spinning directly around you) was fuckin cd quality, cept for the beggining of stinkfist which sounded like a train crash. Speakin of stinkfist... the extended section (catchin everyone screaming lyrics by suprise) was fuckin awesome, adam's solo'in was suprisingly rythmic and interesin :P

46&2 went of a treat... the sound they make playin that live is somethin special.

Shoulda heard the cloud cheer when the sheet dropped down to reveal the first sheet of artwork durein jambi, that was sumthin special.

SWAMP SONG!!!!!!!!!!! in my opinion the all time most underated song. Iv never heard much about it from anyone... but i tihnk its the best thing of undertow, and now iv heard it live it'l never be the same ago. And the pause before the outro... lol, people started talkin it went on for so long, my brother next to me said something like "i was hopeing for a big out-" before i cut him of by raisin my hand and pointing at the band... was gettin a bit imbarrased a few moments later when they still haddent come back in, and then went nuts in one of the little mohses that errupted simultaniously around us.

Wings pt 1 was a little boreing for my taste to be honest... i mean, it wasnt bad... it just wasnt, well i dunno, a bit nothing, only chritisism for the night, i just watched the lasers wizzin around. Pt2 on the other hand was beautiful, cant explain why i found it different to pt1, but it was rather breathtakeing.

Lateralus, the song of my life... well, those who were there know what it was like, those who have seen it before no doubt have an idea... to others, well i just cant say, u HAVE to whitness it yourself.

THe pause maynard made in vicarious, for whatever reason, had the awesome effect of letting us here the whole stadium singing along. Sounds good in a song whith so much breathy lyrics, the screaming does, found it as a beautifull moment myself, to just look around and be clobbered with the sound comein from everythroat of thousands.

Finishing on Aenima was brilliant. Everyone was full into it. My brother and i got a bunch of people to link arms and start swaying at "im praying for rain...". that was a weird moment :P surrounded by jumpin bald blokes, and swayin gently to the tune, very cool tho.

they had sure as hell better come back in november/december... different setlist would be nice... but i would not complain about reliveing last night one iota.

fuck these boys are good...
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 AM   #37
Level 3 - Talker

Now that's a rollercoaster day... nearly didn't get to Sydney because of a stupid fucking work emergency in the morning (was seriously fixin' to kill someone, believe me)... I was looking at plane tickets at 10am to see if I could still get there, but managed to power through in time to catch my lift up at 2pm, then had one of the best nights of my life, finally getting to see Tool live after all this time!

Show was awesome, sound was great once they sorted it out during Stinkfist and after that it was pure gold. I just needed to hear Rosetta Stoned and Aenema to be happy, but Lateralus just blew me away and the rest was pretty damn good too. I'm still reeling from Danny's drum solo, I usually have a particular hatred of drum solos, but that was just about the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Now I understand why everyone raves about this guy so much!

Now I'm jonesing for another show, roll on November or whenever! Exclamation mark!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 02:37 AM   #38
emu
Level 1 - Lurker

Holyfuckinshit. That was my favourite Tool show so far. The sound was bowel shaking, the performance was tight... my only gripe is that the set was too short. I mean, I was waiting four and a half years and it was over so quickly. I pray to the Acorn Spirit that they'll be here in November.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 02:38 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Great reviews there folks and yes wasnt it awsome. Well worth the long wait and the insane amount I payed to ge two standing tickets on e-bay. Flying to Melbourne for another dose and if its as loud in that little park as it was last night they,ll hear them in Geelong. My ears are still ringing and that hasnt happend to me since Rose Tattoo in 81. Great crowd on the floor, no pushy freaks, every one made room and maintained, proves you need a brain to appreciate this vain of music. If you havent seen them yet get ready for the show of your life. Yeh Yeh Tool rules.
OFFLINE |  
Old 01-25-2007, 02:51 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by audesys View Post

Hey the were good enough to make it onto the JJJ web page, Well done, I thought they were great in fact I think I was standing behind you they look so familiar.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: