opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #41
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12
Re: 2006/04/30 - Indio, CA - Coachella Festival

o.O ....amazing concert.

OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #42
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: I was at the front!

Did anyone notice when he changed the lines in Aenima? Instead of MJK singing "Fuck L Ron Hubard and fuck all his clones" he said "Fuck Rupert Murdoch and fuck all his clones"

Coachella was amazing. got super close, was somewhat preturbed by the disrespect many in tool shirts showed Massive Attack. What do those douchebags want?!?!?! tons of bands doing music derivative of tunes you already like and recognize?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Anyone have any idea where that phone conversation in between Massive Attack and Tool is from? Very interesting.

"I'm an evil motherfucka!"
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

yeah i was at the total front too. 3rd person from gate. AMAZING SHOW. my favorites were jambi, 46&2, and aenima
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

HEY FUCKTARDS!!! anyone noticed that maynard had a keyboard next to him to his right? I think he played a few inaudible notes but i forget what new song he played it on (vicarious or jambi, maybe the pot). In my oldness I have already forgotten, plus being a day older than kabir couldn't get any worse. Massive Attack was fucking great, just wished they played protection. someone is already busy putting up on a site a few of the songs from the set... you just gotta squint your eyes and prep your bowels to find it. my recording turned out alright, except there were a few maynard wannabees singing along to their favorite or known song.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #46
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

What a great show. It was so fucking intense.

Best Maynard line:

"You need to put your clothes back on buddy. You're fuckin disappointing me. What'd you get lost on the way to burning man?"

He was talking to a crowd surfer.

Last edited by wix3l; 05-02-2006 at 07:05 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

it wasn't you're fuckin disappointing me... it was "you're bumming me out"
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #48
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoticz
Excellent show...

I was basically 15 feet from the stage (about 3-4 people back from the front rail) during massive attack. It was a clusterfuck during that time and Massive Attack was putting me to sleep (its not that they were boring, but after 2 days of nothing but heat and over $100 bucks in beer a day, any music would put me out). As soon as Massive Attack said "goodnight", me and my lady were forced up. I got really angry and began to put my feet ahead of me and hold as many back as possible. I did alright, until some dude began to REALLY push me. My lady felt suficated and I had to get her out. She damn nearly passed out as I was dragging her through the crowd. No one wanted to move as I said "SHES PASSING OUT!! MOVE!!", so I began to throw elbows and believe I nailed a couple of women...oh well...get the fuck out of my way next time.

That was that, we went and got some water and headed back toward the stage and ended up directly in front of the right screen about 100 ft. back...and it was much better than being smashed in the crowd.

Other than Tool puting on an EXCELLENT show, the rest of the festival was great. Sigur Ros, Atmosphere, Paul Oakenfold, My Morning Jacket, Sleater Kinney, and DAFT PUNK were among my favorites (I didnt catch too many acts, due to getting drunk in the beer garden all day long). The festival was fun...and I hope they do it again.

Oh, I forgot...fuck all the Madonna fans.
Hahaha... I saw you as you went by i think. There was some dude right behind me as you were coming through and he was like "Hey there's a lady here man" and you were like "She's passing out".
Old 05-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #49
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers
Did anyone notice when he changed the lines in Aenima? Instead of MJK singing "Fuck L Ron Hubard and fuck all his clones" he said "Fuck Rupert Murdoch and fuck all his clones"

Coachella was amazing. got super close, was somewhat preturbed by the disrespect many in tool shirts showed Massive Attack. What do those douchebags want?!?!?! tons of bands doing music derivative of tunes you already like and recognize?
Yeah I heard that. That was hilarious.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

This was my first Tool show since Coachella '99. One major contrast between the two was the size of the crowd that stayed to watch them at the end. Much larger crowd this time around. It seems the maturity of the crowd has also grown with the band. There's always that ONE guy.. you know who I mean.. but the majority of the crowd was definately more mellow, like.. well, a bunch of hippies. This one girl in front of us, for instance, was dancing to Aenema as if she were working the pole at a gentlemen's club. It looked rather odd, but fascinating to watch.

The band sounded crisp throughout, despite their absence from the scene (and a few minor technical difficulties). After a delay in their start, they kicked of the set with Stinkfist and never let up. As they went into The Pot, many a strain of the "happy cloud" could be seen and smelt wafting up from the crowd. Crowd pleasers were Schism, Sober and Aenema - as well as.. many a strain of the "happy cloud". Maynard seemed to be channeling Bill Hicks with his sardonic quips between songs, as Adam channeled Joe Walsh with his amazing use of the Talk Box during Jambi.

If this is the first of a few warm-up dates, then I can't wait to see how they sound when they're warmed up for the start of their tour later this summer.

Although my sole purpose for going was to see Tool, I did happen to check out a few other acts while there. James Blunt was starting upon our arrival, so we made our way to the Mojave tent. Next we went to the Outdoor Theater to check out Minus The Bear. Hadn't heard a whole lot about them, but with a name like that, it was worth a look-see. They didn't sound too bad. I was pretty loaded, though, so I couldn't really describe them here. After that, we made our way to the Sahara. Our thinking was, since we'll never pay for a ticket to see her, why not extend the value of our tickets and check out Madonna. My pre-show opinion didn't change, an entertainer like Madonna doesn't belong at an event like Coachella. That's like having Britney Spears headline Lollapalooza. She finally came out after a long delay, and played 5 songs, only 2 of which I had heard, and then bailed. I feel bad for the people who bought tickets just because she was in the lineup. I would have felt cheated. Before her, at the Sahara, was Paul Oakenfold. Definately one of the premiere DJs worldwide. I witnessed as he converted many non-dance types into a bunch of mad bastards. After losing about 4 pounds of water weight in the dance tent, we watched the last 20 minutes of Coheed & Cambria, made our way to the souvenir stand and caught the tail end of Massive Attack's set.

Coachella itself has turned into a beast. The cost for a ticket in '99 was $50. The price this year was up $5 from last year. It's my hope they don't continue to use "entertainers" to boost ticket sales and their bottom line. That kind of thinking is what eventually did the original incarnation of Lollapalooza in. Keep it as an art and music festival, focusing on the music being part of the art.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #51
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

I was standing on the right side behind the x barrier close to middle. Got there for Metasyahu, then Sleater Kinney (who made a Tool comment) something like "is everyone going to see Madonna later", and everyone yelled "NOOO" then she said how they had more in common with Tool than Madonna. Then it was Yeah Yeah Yeahs (best show of the day my opinion) By this time people really started to move up. I was talking to some dude he said no need to move up yet, I moved up few songs later. Moved up close to the middle of YYY, and by the end it was pretty solid Tool fans up by the x barrier, only a few people left and rest of the people camped the spot.

After the long ass delay for Madonna on the other end of the grounds, Massive Attack. I have to say of the bands that played the main stage they were probably one of the worst. Absolutely no crowd response, polite applause at best. NO Massive Attack fans to speak of, some of it was downright 2nd rate, like the singer who did the Sinead OConnor parts, she was awful...

Before Tool came on you could tell people were suffering up front, there was a chant "We want water" no wonder they must have been camping their spots at least since 5 pm.

The delay setting up the rigging omg, at least 10 minute delay, the union guy had to go up the rigging and adjust refloctors, then something else got fucked up to the left of stage which took few minutes to fix.

Warm up music was infomercial parody Frankenstein something, then black metal band phony phone call which got the biggest laughs and a some death metal song which I did not recognize. All this was used on the previous tour? Im sure I heard all of these clips before...

Performance itself was good, not great(third time seeing them live, plus bootlegs). Maynard coming out in his mid 90s look mohawk was nice. Only thing that wasnt mentioned is he said before Aenema, "Did you guys get to visit VIP area, everyones a VIP in LA" or words to those effects. I dont think thought Maynard saying he would punch fuckers in the face who tried to take his pictures went over too well considering every fucker in the crowd had a camera and was taking pictures....When they kicked off Stink Fist cameras flashing all over the place...

Performance itself I would rate a good, but pretty much Tool by numbers, arrangements followed the records CLOSELY. The visuals for Sober were changed, though I dont remember if it was the same as the last tour. It was not as good as it should have been IMHO, wish they threw in something crazy ala Salival, or Third Eye, basically we got Tool greatest hits (btw from talking to maybe a dozen people, I was surpirised how many of them first got into them only since Lateralus).

Got to say hello to the 2 dudes and 2 girls from Arizona I met at breakfast in the camp, also to the dude from Bayside I met on the plane ride back, drop me a line or post here, (He went all the way to Coachella just for Tool(1st show ever) and "somehow" managed to miss them.) Maybe someone will be kind enough to set up this guy with a ticket to one of the NY shows(if you have extras)...

Also should be mentioned "Tool at Coachella" shirts were on sale, I guess they are collectible unless Tool Army is selling them...also minitour shirts, Tool logo and dates for the minitour on the back.

PS- Took pictures and snippets... whats the policy on cameras rest of the tour anyone know?

pps- Belligerent- I agree this was my first Coachella, dont know about Madonna since I didnt see even 1 sec of her, but Depeche Mode? I mean come on the premise of Coachella from little I know is its supposed to be up and coming young bands cutting edge etc. Depeche Mode is practically an oldies revival act.
Other bands I caught that I liked- Clap Your Hands, YYY, Franz Ferdinand and Wolfmother, Daft Punk, even whats his name James Blunt? pretty damn good though normally thats not my type of music. Also who was the skinny little punk chick on the secod day? Man she had energy.

Acts that I did not care for- Eagles of Death Metal- rip-off Southern Rock- come on! plust DM and Massive Attack.

Last edited by GeorgeinNY; 05-01-2006 at 11:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #52
Level 3 - Talker

The rehearsal show in LA was 2 hours long. All 7 shows I went to on the Lateralus tour were 2 hours as well. I expect the shows to be about that long with a very Toolish trippy intermission. Festival sets are normally shorter, although when I saw them at Voodoo in New Orleans in 2001 it was a 2 hour set. Expect much more of the new material at the headlining gigs.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #53
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Massive Attack was great and crowd response was fine except for the idiots who kept yelling for Tool. Seriously, what show were some of you guys at?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 01:18 AM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

"I smell patchouliiiii"

maynard is a funny motherfucker when he's feeling it.

re: "bad" tool fans. yes, there was a jocko contingent. but more and more these days you watch the backwards baseball caps run around and hit people for a few songs, then slowly transform into slack jawed statues as they realize they're having a religious experience. i remember and regret acting like those jackasses during the early part of the aenima tour, so i always hold out hope that the retards yelling "fuck massive attack" are just hatchlings on their way to a greater experience. that is the most hippie bullshit i've ever written.

anyone else stand in front of the ground level stacks? i was left of adam, 20 feet back, right in the footprint of those beasts. justin was heavily distorted, but the sound was so f-ing big that every low end note made the band look like a shakey-cam effect because my eyes were vibrating in my skull. i've seen sunn0))) from 10 feet and the melvins from 0, but i've never experienced that kind of huge-osity before. just wish the mix was as clean as massive attack.

decided not to cum too soon and miraculously avoided listening to pre-release bootleg of 10,000 Days (regretted listening to bad boot of Lateralus last time). VERY GLAD i waited. hearing new songs for the first time in a live setting was...um...intense. as was the climax of 'lateralus' (most amazing song ever written, imo), Adam's trance inducing riff descending large from the heavens. indescribable.

last thought...dear coachella organizers: many people at the festival have been drinking your $8,000 beers and/or taking drugs for 12 hours straight. howzabout giving them a couple minutes after the music stops to lay on the grass and recover before herding everyone into the parking lot and onto the road?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:51 AM   #55
Level 2 - Poster

They went on about 15 minutes late (11pm) and ended at 12:20am. 10 Songs but I have to tell ya - it seemed like the set-list was chosen from their 'radio' songs. Except for 'the patient', 'jambi' and 'the pot' = everything else was kinda like their 'popular' songs. Little disappointing. On the good side - Maynard sounded amazing - his voice is well rested.
Last TOOL show in 2010 in Morrison, CO: Red Rocks

"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 AM   #56
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Anyway, did anyone else notice that during "Damn my eyes..." in Jambi, they layered Maynard's voice, and put an effect on the layers, so it almost sounded like he had a chorus singing with him. Pretty cool...
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...

Last edited by optimistic-pessimist; 05-02-2006 at 07:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #57
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11
Nice review Kabir. Not much to add. This was my first time seeing Tool and I was not disappointed. Also, for a band whose fans seem to get such a bad rap, I thought everyone was pretty cool given the size of the crowd and the occasion. At least the fans around me were cool anyway. There was one girl complaining during Massive Attack for them to "hurry up!". I said 'shut up' at one point, but I guess she did not hear it.

Quick note- to the guy bashing Massive Attack, are you out of your mind?? They were great! It's a tough gig to go on before Tool as it is. But I thought they delivered in spades. If you don't know their material, or were just uppity to see Tool, that's one thing. But they 'sucked'? No.
Yes, Massive Attack DID indeed suck and they in no way belonged on that stage before TOOL was to play their first live show in 3 1/2 years. I was telling everyone around me, "This is painful, their tunes are getting worse with every one they play." Granted, it was a stage full of good musicians, I'll give you that. But the tempo of every one of their suck-ass songs was about the same. Slow, droning, boring pace to everything they played. No one can refute that fact. You could not pay me enough money to put one of their CDs in any of my players. God, they sucked! They really belonged in the dance tent opening for Madonna. NO WAY did they belong on that main stage before a band the caliber of TOOL. I've seen some suck-ass bands open for TOOL over the last 13 years, but Massive Attack was anything but massive or attacking. It was fucking boring as it could be, until the last half of their last song. It was cool.

As for TOOL, very few missteps, sound quality was incredible, and the three new tunes fit right in with anything they would choose to play. Great set overall. The naysayers will see if they get to see them live on this tour that these latest tunes are awesome and they go over very well live. With The Pot being the second tune, every single person around me knew the words and were singing them at the top of their lungs. Everybody go BUY 10,000 Days because this is the best music you can find anywhere in the world. Let's see if we can make it debut at #1 again like Lateralus. I don't want to see the leak hurt first week sales too much. At $10 each I'm going to buy several. I'll help Maynard get that popcorn gold nugget ring.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:54 AM   #58
Avatar of the Gods (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 13

Every time I've seen Tool from the pit, I've camped for hours and hours to be sure I'm at the very front. That's about 12 shows that I've waited 5+ hours for, each. I said fuck it this time. I enjoyed my time at the rest of the festival, and just before Tool came on, I made my way through the crowd to just behind the big barrier-cross. It was a great view, pretty close. If anyone else was in that area (right/back of the cross, very near the inside corner) that I pissed off, I apologize, but the people who I ended up near were cool and didn't mind me being there.

I felt bad basically cutting in front of a bunch of people, but we all shot the shit for the hour before Tool came on, and a good time was had by all.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #59
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

"Mellow Retreat"- dude that made me crack up! Where I was standing there was no one really screaming Tool or anything, it was polite clapping. Bottom line is Massive Attack made no new fans with that performance, I checked out some of their studio stuff when I found out they were on before Tool, and man it wasnt even as good as that, the Sinead imitator was weak, the guy in dreads- bad singer off key. I think you could tell in the lead musicians face at the end, they seemed so down, the white girl was so down...

You should go check out the review of Coachella at NY Times, Tool is mentioned. However I must say I read in two places already how this was the break out moment for Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I think they made a lot of fans, I wish I had tickets for tonight at Roseland. That is definitely one band Id like to see again. I bet their record sales jump this week more than any other band in the lineup.

Andorion- I think you are the dude that cut right in front of me from the sound of it! Back of your head is in all my pictures(fucker! j/k), to my left was a girl and a guy with a big ass Tool back pack and then some small girl and the corner, I was about 6 feet from the corner, wearing a Mets hat. Behind me was also a girl with a professional camera I hope she got some good picks to post, sorry if my head was in your way btw if youre reading this...

Last edited by GeorgeinNY; 05-02-2006 at 08:23 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #60
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
Sonnyboy, I was at the same show as you and what in God's name did you like so much about Massive Attack? You must know their music and like it for some reason. It, to me, could not be more boring and I could never listen to that for any sort of enjoyment. As musicians they are great. That was apparent. But you can take the best studio musicians in the world and put them on stage and that doesn't mean they're going to MOVE people like a band like TOOL can. I know you're not saying they're TOOL. There's only one of those. But I thought MA was horribly misplaced on that bill and in no way should have been the last band to go on before TOOL. Do you think they write ANY up-tempo songs? Or are they all that slow, droning pace that makes a boring song take forever to get through. Everyone around me agreed that it was painful to get through their 75-minute set (about 45 minutes too long if you're hearing about the same song every time). Their female singers weren't even that good. Massive Attack needs to rename itself Mellow Retreat with Ocaasional Volume.
I too was there primarily to see Tool and, as I said earlier, I was not disappointed. But Massive Attack was not misplaced on the bill. The idea behind Coachella is to put together a diverse bill of artists with the intention of perhaps broadening a few musical horizons. At every other message board related to this Coachella show, the general consensus was that Massive Attack was one of the best acts there that night, and I agree. It is ONLY Tool fans who did not appear to get it.

Remember, Sunday at Coachella was NOT a Tool show- it was Coachella. And there is a difference. Massive Attack was excellent. Yes, I know their music well. And I love their slow, heavy vibe. I also thought the vocalists were great. How anyone could think otherwise is beyond me and, again, it's only here that I have seen anything negative written about their performance.

That said, I respect your opinions. I simply take exception to using the word 'suck' to define something that just wasn't your thing. If someone tells me Tool 'sucked' that night (and they have), I react pretty much the same way.

Also, I know I am not the only person here who liked Massive Attack (Paradigm619 ). This will be my last comment on it though. There are plenty of other places to talk about other bands. I'm excited about Tool and that's why I come here. New CD today and I could not be more stoked!

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 05-02-2006 at 08:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:36 AM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show!! Here are some photos and a couple video clips. I am new to this forum, so sorry if they do not post correctly...the video is all over the place because could hardly contain myself but the sound is good...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ool/tool12.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ool/tool11.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ool/tool10.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...tool/tool3.jpg
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...=ToolVideo.flv
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ToolVideo2.flv

Last edited by faun; 05-02-2006 at 09:42 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #62
Level 2 - Poster

I'll try to be as quick and candid as possible.

Maynard's voice sounded well rested. Justin, Danny and Adam were amazing as usual. The set list was very 'popular radio songs' = which was weird considering the band's m-o. Crowds at these festivals do not really understand TOOL's music. I heard one idiot pushing threw the crowd asking where the mosh pit was = annoying!

Looking forward to the small venue tour before Europe...see ya in NYC!
Last TOOL show in 2010 in Morrison, CO: Red Rocks

"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoR
Anyone have any idea where that phone conversation in between Massive Attack and Tool is from? Very interesting.

"I'm an evil motherfucka!"

thats evil joe. it's a prank phone call that has been around the net for a while. Tool added some ethereal track over it. Sounded so funny there in that kind of atmosphere. If you want it, just type in evil joe on google and you'll find it somewhere.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #64
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by faun
Great show!! Here are some photos and a couple video clips. I am new to this forum, so sorry if they do not post correctly...the video is all over the place because could hardly contain myself but the sound is good...

Nice clips you got there! I raelly thought that end section for Lateralus was the highlight of the night for me. It was just plain thumpin!

I am interested to see in these coming theatre shows just what direction they go with the setlists. I would think that the main arena tour later this year would focust mostly on 10,000 Days. But for now maybe they are content to just use the older material as a way to 'warm up'.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #65
Suicide Booth ID: 18

Bincount™: 536

I got my disposable camera developed today. The quality of the pics didn't come out as good as I hoped they would. Oh well, that's what I get for using a disposable.

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ent=010_9A.jpg
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...nt=011_10A.jpg
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...nt=012_11A.jpg
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...nt=013_12A.jpg
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...nt=014_14A.jpg
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...nt=018_18A.jpg

Quote:
Pretty sweet pics man. How many megapixel is your camera? I'm looking to buy one and i'd be happy with pics as clear as yours.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

Coachella was my second Tool show. First was United Center in Chicago in 2002 for Lateralus tour. Personally I enjoyed them much better outside under the stars. Both shows were absolutely fucking riveting and deeply spiritual experiences. The anticipation and energy prior to Tool taking the stage was palpable.

Did anyone recognize the first pre-performance audio clip? Not the Evil Joe phone call, (funny but old) but rather the "Frankenstein implants....world-wide lobotomy...blah blah blah Frankenstein....." bit that sounded like a 1950's radio advertisement for teflon frying pans. It was tough to hear all of it and I would like to see if I can find it on the net, as what I could make out was brilliant!

Other notable performances at Coachella:

Daft Punk, Gnarls Barkley, Digable Planets

There is little else to say to anybody that braved the desert heat this year. Tool is undoubtedly the greatest show on earth. For those of you who couldn't stomach Massive Attack, I feel sorry for you. At least your ability to appreciate good music is apparent in your devotion to Tool.

Last edited by Captain_Stupendous; 05-02-2006 at 03:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteve
Pretty sweet pics man. How many megapixel is your camera? I'm looking to buy one and i'd be happy with pics as clear as yours.
Thanks. It is a Canon Power Shot. 5.0 megapixels but the best part is the 12x optical zoom. I was on the back side of the sound stage during the show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #68
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 12

Highlights of the show for me.

Tool (obviously)- A little rusty for the reasons stated before, but an excellent show nonetheless. Good selection of songs, I was hoping for 10000 days/Wings but I'm sure they'll pull that out on their real tours. The mix was a little funky, too much high end and cymballs and not enough bass, but it was a big outdoor venue and I was pretty far back. I think if you wanted a good spot, you pretty much had to get there 3 hours early and stay planted. I would have, but Mogwai and Coheed went on right before them and I wanted to catch both of them. We pushed our way as far towards the front and middle as we could during Massive Attack but at some point it was just a solid mass of humanity. I expected people to clear out a little between bands, but all the Tool fans just ended up packing closer together. Oh well. I'll have a seat next time, and a good one.

Sigur Ros- Their last song completely destroyed me. Insane. I like how they brought out the extra horns and strings, espcially the massive bow-shredding on their second to last song. That was the first time I have seen them live and I was very impressed.

Coheed and Cambria- Third time seeing them, was very impressed. The mix was perfect, there was a lot of energy in the crowd. They played a good set, mostly their harder stuff, and Claudio's vocals were much better than the last time I saw them. The jam during the Final Cut was a little too long and they probably could have fit a couple more songs in there if they weren't trying so hard to be the Mars Volta. But whatever, good performance.

Mogwai- Only caught the first three songs because their set overlapped with Coheed's and I left early to catch them and meet my friend at their tent. They were fucking LOUD. Does anybody remember their setlist? I'm not too familiar with them and I'd like to know what I heard.

Minus the Bear- I wanted to discover one new band and this was it. Excellent performance, I wish they hadn't played right in the middle of the afternoon, the heat was fucking me up and I probably would have enjoyed them more if I wasn't so delirious. But I was very impressed. My friend described them as a less poppy version of the Killers, which is pretty accurate. Or maybe their a more poppy Facing New York. In any case, good band. I bought their newest CD today.

Kanye West, Common, Depeche Mode, Damian Marley, and Oakenfold were also pretty entertaining, but nothing about them blew me away. Oakenfold sounded amazing, but I can only take trance in small doses.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

Good line about Massive Attack not being massive or attacking, however, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think alot of Tool fans are Massive Attack fans. Not that that matters if you think they suck, but I'm pretty sure some Tool members are big Massive Attack fans. Just an observation. I know I like them. To me they are slow and mellow, but have enough of the darkness I seem to like in heavier bands. Maybe you just need to put some years on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
Yes, Massive Attack DID indeed suck and they in no way belonged on that stage before TOOL was to play their first live show in 3 1/2 years. I was telling everyone around me, "This is painful, their tunes are getting worse with every one they play." Granted, it was a stage full of good musicians, I'll give you that. But the tempo of every one of their suck-ass songs was about the same. Slow, droning, boring pace to everything they played. No one can refute that fact. You could not pay me enough money to put one of their CDs in any of my players. God, they sucked! They really belonged in the dance tent opening for Madonna. NO WAY did they belong on that main stage before a band the caliber of TOOL. I've seen some suck-ass bands open for TOOL over the last 13 years, but Massive Attack was anything but massive or attacking. It was fucking boring as it could be, until the last half of their last song. It was cool.

As for TOOL, very few missteps, sound quality was incredible, and the three new tunes fit right in with anything they would choose to play. Great set overall. The naysayers will see if they get to see them live on this tour that these latest tunes are awesome and they go over very well live. With The Pot being the second tune, every single person around me knew the words and were singing them at the top of their lungs. Everybody go BUY 10,000 Days because this is the best music you can find anywhere in the world. Let's see if we can make it debut at #1 again like Lateralus. I don't want to see the leak hurt first week sales too much. At $10 each I'm going to buy several. I'll help Maynard get that popcorn gold nugget ring.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #70
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Great pics; especially the videos. The sound is excellent; a nice bit of the show for those of use that couldn't be there...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #71
Level 4 - Thinker

for those that bashed the singer re: singing the sinead parts--THEY DID NOT PLAY ANY SONG THAT SINEAD SINGS ON. the only song they played from 100th window is the 1st song on the album, "Future Proof." Believe me, I recorded their set as well.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #72
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshun
for those that bashed the singer re: singing the sinead parts--THEY DID NOT PLAY ANY SONG THAT SINEAD SINGS ON. the only song they played from 100th window is the 1st song on the album, "Future Proof." Believe me, I recorded their set as well.
I'll take both of those please. hehe
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

[QUOTE=kabir]- some rust did show. justin blew a note or two on the intro to 'schism'; adam changed up some things, including playing some feedbacky hum through the middle quiet part of 'sober', and maynard managed to rearrange the lines of the first chorus in 'sober' and forget to come back in for the later chorus of 'the patient' ... but it was still a great show.[QUOTE]

"Everyone pull out there calculators">>>>>>

Assuming they didn't have a set list

"scissors, rock, paper"....

SINGLE.....SINGLE.....

All in all, I felt like I got to see old friends I haven't seen in 5 years. Couldn't help but think the tight jeans, the HUGE beltbuckle, and the cowboy boots were a tribute to old GWB. Fun times and HOT AS FUCK>>>>Can't wait to see them after they come back from Europe

-jae-
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #74
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff
Good line about Massive Attack not being massive or attacking, however, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think alot of Tool fans are Massive Attack fans. Not that that matters if you think they suck, but I'm pretty sure some Tool members are big Massive Attack fans. Just an observation. I know I like them. To me they are slow and mellow, but have enough of the darkness I seem to like in heavier bands. Maybe you just need to put some years on you.

It's odd. I think tool fans from Utah suck.....just kidding. I point to my earlier post where I ask what tone deaf tool fans want. just more rock bands that sound like tool? and to the ignorants making noise that MA didnt belong at Coahella......who the fuck do you assholes think you are? are you aware that there are great many number of people that thought T00l didnt belong at Coachella on account of their "redneck fans"......ponder that one.

count me as a OGT with more than my fare share of MA records. I was also one of the hippies in attendance, and I got more than a few fellow T00l fans high whilst we were waiting. And no I dont wear patchouli.....

I've been to every Coachella.....there are many bands one gets exposed to and if one opens their mind.

the show was amazing. just a little short. but then thats festival rock shows for ya.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

I think Maynard said "Ask not the Toolie" when he came out on stage.
Also the reference in Aenemia was to Rupert Murdoch, not L. Ron Hubbard. Scourge none the less.
Craig
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #76
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I handcuffed my self to the railing. I was like 10 feet from Mr Adam Jones. That talk-box solo made my eve, I was happy for Adam that he finally got to perform with it, he looked so happy during it. Astounding. Beautiful. Mesmerizing. Then I drove back to Oakland all night, fucking sweet ass weekend.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #77
Level 2 - Poster

There's already been so many reviews...First off, I have to say that Coachella was great...Daft Punk, Depeche Mode, Gnarls Barkley, Minus the Bear, Sigur Ros, etc etc. were all outstanding.

Also before I rant, here are some pictures I got with Canon Digital Rebel SLR. It was quite the shitshow trying to take pictures sans flash as close to the band (and the mosh) as I was. Nevertheless, a few turned out:

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach61.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach62.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach63.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach64.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach65.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach66.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach67.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach68.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach69.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach70.jpg
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~andrewth/coach71.jpg

As for this show, it was only my second one. As great and fun as this show was, I had somewhat set myself up for disappointment, trying too much to be in the same spiritual mindset as my previous show (10/01 in Dallas). I didn't really stop to think about the different mindset that the band most likely had. I initially got the feeling that they didn't want to be there considering the show wasn't as solemn as the Lateralus tour I had seen. But I really think it was a combination of them having a good time and them wanting to play new songs/singles.The length of the setlist was somewhat disappointing as well, but it was the best they could do since it was a festival and not a solo show.

The new songs were rockin'. "The Pot" and "Jambi" hit me hard and made me appreciate those tracks (which I had only heard once or twice before) much much more. "Stinkfist" was a sweet opener that really quenched the ravenous fans in the front around me. Other notables..."Lateralus" seemed a bit off, it sounded like Justin was struggling at a few points and the rhythm seemed strained. "Aenima" closed and it totally blew me away and made up for other negativity I had for the show.

I blame myself for trying to be too spiritual for the show...it goes to show that you should always be open to what Tool will offer live and be ready to embrace it for the best experience.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #78
Level 1 - Lurker

Hey all!

This was my first Coachella. I just arrived back in Colorado today after my visit to LA. I would of posted sooner but didn't have access.

I was front and center the whole time - or second row (the rail seemed to be guarded pretty well). Worked my way to the front after Massive Attack. It was pretty intense. But man was that an amazing show! I had conserved much energy for it as Tool was what I was there for. Looking forward to August shows. And may be back at Coachella next year. Many cool people which made my day and visit to LA sweeter then I expected my few days there could be. That was my first Tool show up that close. And the energy for me was just awesome. I can't believe Tool's last tour was so long ago. I saw them three times that year and it seems like just yesterday.

I may hang back and just enjoy again next time. I guess we'll see ;)

Thanks all!

much love,
Stevo
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #79
Level 3 - Talker

Massive attack was amazing. I expected much of sentiment that I'm seeing on this board about MA "sucking" because I felt pretty much the same way when I first listened to them. Not to mention Seeing/listening to them for the first time while waiting for Tool to go on stage is a recipe for disaster.

I decided to give Massive Attack another chance after my first listen after maynard said 3D from massive attack is one of the people he respects most in the music industry in an interview. After listening more, they are now one of my favorite musical acts.

Massive attack's set list was pretty mediocre, they could have played more faster paced songs such as butterfly caught or some of the songs from the Unleashed soundtrack, but whatever.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #80
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

I was thinking about the length of TOOL's set compared to the length of Depeche Mode's set the night before... (75 min compared to 90+, give or take)... and it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, TOOL offered 15 minutes of their set to Massive Attack, so that they would be able to play for a little longer. Of course it's pure speculation, but seems entirely possible. I think that for Massive Attack, it must have been a pretty special night. I was told that they constantly have dissonance in the band and so don't play live all that much, not to mention that I don't think they have ALL of those vocalists together very often, if ever. I'm sure TOOL must have been offered the full 90 minute slot... so why only play for 75?

Anyway, just tossing an idea out there...
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: