opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/06/03 - Nuremberg, GER - Rock-im-Park

SETLIST --

Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/03 - Nuremberg, GER - Rock-im-Park

Setlist:

Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

It was a great show, standard playlist, standard length (they played from 9:30 to 10:50) - but it's Tool, so what else could I have wished for?
I managed to get as near to the stage as possible... unfortunately I was at the left side, so Maynard was completely hidden behind a wall of speakers for me.
At least I had a good view of Adam and Justin. I saw Maynard three times, once in the beginning when Rosetta Stoned started, once in the middle [he got to the front, waved his cowboy hat and screamed "yee haw"] and in the end, when water bottles, sticks and some frisbee-like equipment from the drums were thrown to the audience... I was kind of surprised that Tool did this, I had imagined them much more distant to the audience. They also made a embracing each other/bowing kind of move (like Pink Floyd at Live8 2005) and they left the stage, waving/clapping hands in return to the audience...
The sound was awesome, but I felt like the beginning of Ænema was a bit "unstable", it sometimes sounded a bit too fast, almost rushed, in other times it dragged behind a bit... don't know if this was intended, an accident... or just my imagination.

Some Maynard quotes:
- I'm a bad guy...[sorry, don't remember it completely] ... I have been a naughty boy [they start playing Forty-Six & 2]
- Blah blah blah something clever blah blah blah 10,000 days out now - new song. [they start playing Jambi... and yes, he actually said "blah blah blah"]
- Sorry, I'm not familiar with German customs - is it considered rude if I scratch my ass in front of you? I guess I already know the answer, I've watched some of you out there living in their feces. But sometimes, feces is good. [they start playing Lateralus]
- There you have it, butt scratching, raining and all. [they start playing Ænema]
- Thank you for coming here and getting wet (?)

Other notes:
- They played an extended version of Stinkfist with a new middle-part
- They played an extended version of Schism with a new middle-part and an intro (? If I recall correctly)
- They played a two minute long, spacy intro to Vicarious
(^^^ I guess these variations are quite common at this tour, I just wanted to confirm them ;) )
- I'm pretty sure they started directly with Rosetta Stoned without any sort of Lost Keys-intro at all
- Rupert Murdoch was changed back to L.Ron Hubbard in Ænema

Last edited by Acrylamid; 06-04-2006 at 01:34 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Incredible show! I think I´ve never seen a concert like this before! The sound was just perfect! Maynard was in a very good mood. Adam seemed to be very concentrated and Justin was totally inside the music, I would say. And for Danny, I can't find the right words for him! But you all know him. More machine than man.
The crowd was fantastic, although it was a festival. On this day I´ve seen Stone Sour, AIC, Deftones and Korn before. I think all these shows were good, first of all Deftones- I love them. But sorry guys, when I heard the sound-qualilty from Tool and saw this perfect show, I thought: "You all can got home. A concert has to be like that." The only thing I missed was song "right in two". One of the best songs from 10.000 Days, I think. But you cannot have everything!
The whole concert was like a perfect dream for me! I was totally finished with my mind after that!
I hope to see them soon again! That's my review so far! Please write some more reviews about rock im park! By

Last edited by halo_13; 06-04-2006 at 10:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

great show, good crowd, fantastic sound...i wonder why tool is one of the only bands
that sounds so clear on a festival stage, why can't other bands do so??? hmm... just one thing to critisize: the setlist...still pretty good but without the real classics (for me)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
(tdn $upporter) - S.O.B: Save Our Bluths

Bincount™: 33

So this is how my FIRST TOOL SHOW EVER WENT DOWN...Maynard coming on stage, megaphone on a holster, mohawk in all its glory...."Hey germans!"

Set list as above...I was a little surprised they did not do an intro (i.e. Lost Keys) in the beginning...went right into ROSETTA STONED...which just blew my fucking socks off...For years I have been reading and hearing how tight this band is on stage, though actually experiencing these guys in person was something else really....

In terms of the new material played, it was fucking amazing (as mentioned by others ad nauseum). JAMBI was a personal highlight among the new songs they played, and the lighting and visuals complemented quite brilliantly. VICARIOUS really was taken to another level, esp with Maynard's vocals! As someone mentioned, they did a little segue before the song began...I thought it was going to be RIGHT IN TWO (which I am sure alot of people familiar with their recent set lists were expecting) when I saw Maynard towing with the keyboard...ah well, it was not meant to be.

I spent most of Korn's set gauging where I should position myself to get the best sound...and I decided that it would be at the back of the barrier (inside the barricade) and dead center..That was a good decision:-D. The sound was incredible, and really highlighted how tight a unit they are...

Song highlight for the evening: LATERALUS....by the climax at the end (and getting to see Danny smash the gong in the wink of an eye) with "Spiral out, keep going, spiral out" soaring into the cold night sky...I had goosebumps and felt my eyes starting to tear up.."Holy fucking shit" I thought...

I cannot belive I will be seeing them again in a few days...(tuesday 06.06.06 Hamburg!)

EDIT: At the end, when they all got together "pink floyd-style" to take a bow, it was awesome to see them givin each other 'hungry chicken'! And then before Maynard left the stage, he pointed to his non-existent watch and shrugged hehe funny bastard

Last edited by deep_schismic; 06-04-2006 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: extra info
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-05-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
Cer
Level 1 - Lurker

Amazing show. Little things to mention:
- only one of the screens (the one behind maynard) was working.
- Maynard came to the front when they entered the stage AND during rosetta stoned, only for about 5secs but anyway... (did he do that at any other concert on this tour?)

All in all fantastic show, looking forward to seeing them in Berlin on Wednesday
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-05-2006, 04:41 AM   #7
On Probation

i went to this show and they played the SAME FUCKIN SONGS.....god dammit tool

what the hell

are you guys not bored of playing stinkfist every fuckin night???

please there has to be some other people who find the setlist a bit boring right???
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-06-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

What's your problem man? Not everyone can see tool every night! I was on Rock im park, too. And this show was absolutely amazing! It doesn't matter what songs they play! Many people only see tool once in five years! Think about it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-07-2006, 02:09 AM   #9

another small note...the video screens werent working too well. on stage, only 1 out of 4 screens were functional during their set...detracted from the experience a little bit, but the awesome sound compensated quite well:-)

'what happens after you figure out the meaning of life?...The List #43

myspace|flickr|
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Yes, the sound was stellar. Great gig. Could have been even better if all the Deftones and Korn fans would have left. Too much moshing, pogoing and crowd-surfing for me. Special thanks to the guy who hit me on the head with his feet just as I was going into trance during Lateralus.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 05:17 AM   #11

Photos from Rock-im-Park...includes Alice in Chains, Deftones, Dir En Grey, and TOOL...only a few pics up at the moment, I have about 60-70 RAW files to work through, so it will take a couple of weeks before I can upload em all...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Rock-im-Park/

myspace|flickr|
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-09-2006, 05:53 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_schismic
Photos from Rock-im-Park...includes Alice in Chains, Deftones, Dir En Grey, and TOOL...only a few pics up at the moment, I have about 60-70 RAW files to work through, so it will take a couple of weeks before I can upload em all...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Rock-im-Park/
MAN MAN MAN you are my hero

i was also there and it was an awesome show. i stood right in the middel on the fence behinde the wave breaker. i had such a beautuful sight. getting goosebumps only by thinking ot that night.

sadly only 3 photos i took were ok. i would love to get more of yours, if you would give them out... pleeaaazzze.... ;) i would love them in full resolution to get them made bigger for my office walls...

this is one of my 3:
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3138/p10504783tf.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislu
MAN MAN MAN you are my hero

i was also there and it was an awesome show. i stood right in the middel on the fence behinde the wave breaker. i had such a beautuful sight. getting goosebumps only by thinking ot that night.

sadly only 3 photos i took were ok. i would love to get more of yours, if you would give them out... pleeaaazzze.... ;) i would love them in full resolution to get them made bigger for my office walls...

this is one of my 3:
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3138/p10504783tf.jpg
hehe yeah it was a good show...sounds like you were nearby. If you happened to see a guy in a RATM jacket pull out a SLR from time to time...that was me!

I'm gradually posting pics...let me know which ones you would like the full-res versions of and ill email them. the source files are 10MB-sized RAW, size 3008 x 2000.

myspace|flickr|
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_schismic
hehe yeah it was a good show...sounds like you were nearby. If you happened to see a guy in a RATM jacket pull out a SLR from time to time...that was me!

I'm gradually posting pics...let me know which ones you would like the full-res versions of and ill email them. the source files are 10MB-sized RAW, size 3008 x 2000.
wow. i think i need to send you a case of beer for that. these pictures are so perfect. i could give you a ftp login for the pictureu pload. i so want them ... all ;) that would be the best...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #15

ALL TOOL (& DEFTONES) PICS FROM ROCK IM PARK ARE NOW UPLOADED FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE....enjoy

peace out,

deep
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: