Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-22-2009 at 09:46 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
07.22.09 - Rio Rancho, NM @ Santa Ana Star Center

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).

SETLIST

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-22-2009 at 09:46 PM..
OFFLINE |  
lexiconoclast's Avatar lexiconoclast
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM

With the single exception of a mouth microphone malfunction the show was really exceptional. And Adam recovered brilliantly anyway. Standard set w
+ aenima. Albuquerque made a shitload of noise and everyone had a good time and went home with a smile. Memorable quote for me was "let the drum faggotry begin". When tweekbird drummer came out for lateralus. As posted recently, the lights and visuals were impeccable and had me tripping, even though I haven't had anything stronger than an advil in 7 years. Great show all the way through.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.22.09 - Rio Rancho, NM @ Santa Ana Star Center

With the single exception of a mouth microphone malfunction the show was really exceptional. And Adam recovered brilliantly anyway. Standard set w
+ aenima. Albuquerque made a shitload of noise and everyone had a good time and went home with a smile. Memorable quote for me was "let the drum faggotry begin". When tweekbird drummer came out for lateralus. As posted recently, the lights and visuals were impeccable and had me tripping, even though I haven't had anything stronger than an advil in 7 years. Great show all the way through.
07-22-2009, 10:04 PM

I was kind of woried when I read reviews from previous shows, I don' t know why though these guys never dissapoint. Great show, Sound, Lighting, everything was awesome. It's like the movie Heat, you know whats going to happen but it sure as hell doesn't make the shootout scene any less intense. This was the sixth time I have seen them and I tell you if I didn't have a career I would see them more. Can't wait for some new stuff and hopefullly the live DVD they promissed years ago.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

I was kind of woried when I read reviews from previous shows, I don' t know why though these guys never dissapoint. Great show, Sound, Lighting, everything was awesome. It's like the movie Heat, you know whats going to happen but it sure as hell doesn't make the shootout scene any less intense. This was the sixth time I have seen them and I tell you if I didn't have a career I would see them more. Can't wait for some new stuff and hopefullly the live DVD they promissed years ago.
OFFLINE |  
no_name's Avatar no_name
07-22-2009, 10:20 PM

Great show tonight. It makes me want to get a ticket for the dallas show. Waas my 10th show and i will post more later.

here is the poster for this show...

http://img216.imageshack.us/i/rioranchotoolposter.jpg/

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/numberedriorancho.jpg/

Last edited by no_name; 07-23-2009 at 07:43 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Great show tonight. It makes me want to get a ticket for the dallas show. Waas my 10th show and i will post more later.

here is the poster for this show...

http://img216.imageshack.us/i/rioranchotoolposter.jpg/

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/numberedriorancho.jpg/

Last edited by no_name; 07-23-2009 at 07:43 PM..
OFFLINE |  
dendroaspis
07-22-2009, 10:25 PM

Just got back from the show. Surprisingly impressed, given how I felt the last time I saw them (Las Cruces, NM in 2007). The band was ON tonight. Maynard was very chatty, moreso than any other time I've seen the band. They appeared to be enjoying themselves. This is a good thing.

Lucked out bigtime too...showed up at 5, parked in a back lot, and walked up to a line-less building. Turns out most people were on the other side of the building lined up, completely unaware there was an entrance on the other side that was completely barren. We were the first in that line..at 5:15 PM. By the time doors opened at 6:30, there were no more than 60 or 70 people on that side of the building.

Got in, walked down to the floor, and there were 4 (!!) people on the rail. Unfortunately, the venue guy guarding that entrance took one look at my ticket and said "This says "General Admission", not floor. I looked at him in disbelief, full knowing this was a floor ticket, and this idiot was wrong. He took my ticket to go ask someone else, and must have dropped my ticket on the ground no less than 5 times on his way. I watched as more and more people descended onto the floor and to the rail. Finally this moron makes his way back to where I am, hands me my ticket, tells another guy to give me a wristband, and walks off. Not even a simple "Sorry" for wasting my time. Fortunately, I did secure a great spot on the rail, slightly toward the center of the stage but close to Justin, with a great view of everything. It would have been much better (like dead center) if the idiot usher had let me through with no problems, but whatever.

The band was ON tonight. When I saw them in '07, I sensed a complete lack of energy or interest from the band, and was worried that tonight would be similar. The 10K Days setlist made me even more concerned. While the setlist didn't differ from Phoenix with the exception of Schism making an appearance, the band seemed like they were really enjoying themselves, which was a HUGE positive. My faith in TOOL live has officially been restored...as this was a "make it or break it" show for me, in whether or not I would continue to give this band my money for live shows. I'm happy to say I'll definitely catch them on the next run if they keep this momentum in live performances...WAYYYYYYY better than in '07!

EDIT: Whoops. It appears I completely missed the fact that Schism has been played on all dates of this tour so far...for some reason, I thought we'd got 2 more songs than CO and SLC, and one more than Phoenix. Oh well. It was still a good show.

Last edited by dendroaspis; 07-23-2009 at 12:12 AM..
Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Just got back from the show. Surprisingly impressed, given how I felt the last time I saw them (Las Cruces, NM in 2007). The band was ON tonight. Maynard was very chatty, moreso than any other time I've seen the band. They appeared to be enjoying themselves. This is a good thing.

Lucked out bigtime too...showed up at 5, parked in a back lot, and walked up to a line-less building. Turns out most people were on the other side of the building lined up, completely unaware there was an entrance on the other side that was completely barren. We were the first in that line..at 5:15 PM. By the time doors opened at 6:30, there were no more than 60 or 70 people on that side of the building.

Got in, walked down to the floor, and there were 4 (!!) people on the rail. Unfortunately, the venue guy guarding that entrance took one look at my ticket and said "This says "General Admission", not floor. I looked at him in disbelief, full knowing this was a floor ticket, and this idiot was wrong. He took my ticket to go ask someone else, and must have dropped my ticket on the ground no less than 5 times on his way. I watched as more and more people descended onto the floor and to the rail. Finally this moron makes his way back to where I am, hands me my ticket, tells another guy to give me a wristband, and walks off. Not even a simple "Sorry" for wasting my time. Fortunately, I did secure a great spot on the rail, slightly toward the center of the stage but close to Justin, with a great view of everything. It would have been much better (like dead center) if the idiot usher had let me through with no problems, but whatever.

The band was ON tonight. When I saw them in '07, I sensed a complete lack of energy or interest from the band, and was worried that tonight would be similar. The 10K Days setlist made me even more concerned. While the setlist didn't differ from Phoenix with the exception of Schism making an appearance, the band seemed like they were really enjoying themselves, which was a HUGE positive. My faith in TOOL live has officially been restored...as this was a "make it or break it" show for me, in whether or not I would continue to give this band my money for live shows. I'm happy to say I'll definitely catch them on the next run if they keep this momentum in live performances...WAYYYYYYY better than in '07!

EDIT: Whoops. It appears I completely missed the fact that Schism has been played on all dates of this tour so far...for some reason, I thought we'd got 2 more songs than CO and SLC, and one more than Phoenix. Oh well. It was still a good show.

Last edited by dendroaspis; 07-23-2009 at 12:12 AM..
OFFLINE |  
The Rak
07-22-2009, 10:31 PM

The road to the soaring power of Lateralus was a bit rough in spots tonight as the band played its fourth show in five nights, which was also the fourth stop on the current minitour. In order to get to the power and the beauty, the band had to get past a few spots that felt like they were rusty and under rehearsed, which is the sense I got during Rosetta Stoned as the band pointedly hit the accents as if to keep from drifting off. Danny is a superhero of the drums who at times seems to be the conductor, reining in the band to move from one section to the next.

Maynard seemed to slow down his delivery on Jambi and Adam's plying seemed to want to stretch out the phrasing in several songs with a slow legato delivery. Lots of new guitar parts, new to someone who only saw them twice on 10K. It's like Adam is trying to stretch out within the framework of existing material. The dual drum thing in Lateralus with the Tweak Bird guy and his WMD playing was amazing.

May add more tomorrow, but I am exhausted. Bottom line: love the band, may have had a bit of an off night. The crowd loved it. Think a friend made the leap to the floor, a friend's kid crowd surfed and almost made it on stage.

Last edited by The Rak; 07-22-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #6

Bincount™: 31

The road to the soaring power of Lateralus was a bit rough in spots tonight as the band played its fourth show in five nights, which was also the fourth stop on the current minitour. In order to get to the power and the beauty, the band had to get past a few spots that felt like they were rusty and under rehearsed, which is the sense I got during Rosetta Stoned as the band pointedly hit the accents as if to keep from drifting off. Danny is a superhero of the drums who at times seems to be the conductor, reining in the band to move from one section to the next.

Maynard seemed to slow down his delivery on Jambi and Adam's plying seemed to want to stretch out the phrasing in several songs with a slow legato delivery. Lots of new guitar parts, new to someone who only saw them twice on 10K. It's like Adam is trying to stretch out within the framework of existing material. The dual drum thing in Lateralus with the Tweak Bird guy and his WMD playing was amazing.

May add more tomorrow, but I am exhausted. Bottom line: love the band, may have had a bit of an off night. The crowd loved it. Think a friend made the leap to the floor, a friend's kid crowd surfed and almost made it on stage.

Last edited by The Rak; 07-22-2009 at 10:34 PM..
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
07-22-2009, 10:38 PM

tool show #15, 4th on this tour...

ehhhhhhhhhhhh!
i have to start with my day prior to the concert.
woke up early in phoenix and headed to the airport for albuquorque (which I think I can finally spell properly). i was worried all day because i knew the venue would be in the middle of nowhere and i wasn't sure how I was going to get there or where i'd stay overnight. after landing another stress-filled southwest airline flight, i headed to the info booth which told me there were no rental cars left. i was starting to get worried when i checked my cell phone to find a missed call from a number i didn't recognize. i called it back and it turns out "no name" from these forums saw me post earlier and wanted to see if i needed a ride. turns out he was on the same flight as me the entire time and we met in the terminal and we chilled at his place all day... preparing for the show in the necessary fashions.
kudos to him, saved me a hotel stay and $100+ in cab fares. Bought him tons of food and a tool poster in return... thanks again dude.

also want to thank "raz" from the forums who offerred to give me a ride if i was absolutely stranded at the airport. very generous of you sir.

also a really good sign that you see too many tool shows: i was talking to noname before the lights went out and as justins guitar tech was putting water bottles on top of his speakers, i mentioned how he was going to open the white caps on all the bottles for justin because that would be too much work for him. turns out 10 seconds later the tech takes all the lids of his fiji water bottles. ...the strangest things you notice sometimes.

so the lights go off and tool takes the stage. jambi was great as always. kinda funny just before the adam talkbox solo they dropped the curtain to show the backdrop. however the curtain got stuck when it fell on the octagon-star prop hanging from the ceiling. the stage crew had to take the entire thing down to remove the curtain.

we got the aenema setlist which is always great.

rosetta stoned: now i will say with 100% certainty that for at least the fast parts of this song, maynard is singing absolutely random jibberish that is nothing similar to the original version. pretty funny to watch.
overall maynard was once again very mobile and into the show. lots of chatting with the audience/significantly more dancing, and also made his usual near-naked appearance once again.
when he came out for lateralus, he jokingly sat on tweak bird's drum set and looked like he was contemplating playing. "let the drum faggotry begin"
similar to yesterday, when lateralus concluded he made another funny attack on the guest, something again along the lines of "get off my stage now!"
mjk ran off the stage as soon as vicarious concluded again, however he did give a very brief peace-out before doing so.

also, i need to take some time to mention the mosh pit that i saw. WTF people!? Seriously?
about 20-50 people formed a massive circle and just started randomly pushing and shoving each other for the entire show. for every song it was just random charging at each other. during the climax of lateralus "i embrace my desire to..." the lasers and lights were incredibly beautiful, but all these douchebags are just mindlessly hurting each other. i'll never understand...

oh, you all know this already but i will say it anyways: danny carey is clearly the consequence of some science experiment gone horribly wrong. humans should not be able to do what he can.

my eyes had another orgasm. well done lighting/visual/laser crew

peace out.
on to san antonio...
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

tool show #15, 4th on this tour...

ehhhhhhhhhhhh!
woke up early in phoenix and headed to the airport for albuquorque (which I think I can finally spell properly). i was worried all day because i knew the venue would be in the middle of nowhere and i wasn't sure how I was going to get there or where i'd stay overnight. after landing another stress-filled southwest airline flight, i headed to the info booth which told me there were no rental cars left. i was starting to get worried when i checked my cell phone to find a missed call from a number i didn't recognize. i called it back and it turns out "no name" from these forums saw me post earlier and wanted to see if i needed a ride. turns out he was on the same flight as me the entire time and we met in the terminal and we chilled at his place all day... preparing for the show in the necessary fashions.
kudos to him, saved me a hotel stay and $100+ in cab fares. Bought him tons of food and a tool poster in return... thanks again dude.

also want to thank "raz" from the forums who offerred to give me a ride if i was absolutely stranded at the airport. very generous of you sir.

also a really good sign that you see too many tool shows: i was talking to noname before the lights went out and as justins guitar tech was putting water bottles on top of his speakers, i mentioned how he was going to open the white caps on all the bottles for justin because that would be too much work for him. turns out 10 seconds later the tech takes all the lids of his fiji water bottles. ...the strangest things you notice sometimes.

so the lights go off and tool takes the stage. jambi was great as always. kinda funny just before the adam talkbox solo they dropped the curtain to show the backdrop. however the curtain got stuck when it fell on the octagon-star prop hanging from the ceiling. the stage crew had to take the entire thing down to remove the curtain.

we got the aenema setlist which is always great.

rosetta stoned: now i will say with 100% certainty that for at least the fast parts of this song, maynard is singing absolutely random jibberish that is nothing similar to the original version. pretty funny to watch.
overall maynard was once again very mobile and into the show. lots of chatting with the audience/significantly more dancing, and also made his usual near-naked appearance once again.
when he came out for lateralus, he jokingly sat on tweak bird's drum set and looked like he was contemplating playing. "let the drum faggotry begin"
similar to yesterday, when lateralus concluded he made another funny attack on the guest, something again along the lines of "get off my stage now!"
mjk ran off the stage as soon as vicarious concluded again, however he did give a very brief peace-out before doing so.

also, i need to take some time to mention the mosh pit that i saw. WTF people!? Seriously?
about 20-50 people formed a massive circle and just started randomly pushing and shoving each other for the entire show. for every song it was just random charging at each other. during the climax of lateralus "i embrace my desire to..." the lasers and lights were incredibly beautiful, but all these douchebags are just mindlessly hurting each other. i'll never understand...

oh, you all know this already but i will say it anyways: danny carey is clearly the consequence of some science experiment gone horribly wrong. humans should not be able to do what he can.

my eyes had another orgasm. well done lighting/visual/laser crew

peace out.
on to san antonio...
07-22-2009, 11:47 PM

This was my 10th Tool show dating back to lollapolooza during the undertow days.

I was kind of expecting this show to be underwhelming based on the reviews of the first 3 dates...and boy if they saw this show, even as a tool vet, they were totally ON their game.

Maynard was very chatty and physical, smiled and played around more than usual. The band just seemed really pumped and upbeat (maybe cause they have tomorrow off...that helps when you look at your schedule).

I was maybe fifteen feet back from the fence, underneath justin, big tall guy with danny carey.org enochian t-shirt on with almost waist length hair (down which was a mistake considering how fucking hot it was in there). i only mention this because people kept saying, "hey the back of his shirt is the same thing "that symbol is". Must be Tool n00bs.

From my vantage point, the highlight of the show was the dueling drum solos between danny and the drummer of tweakbird during lateralus. I was so pleased i got to see a real danny carey drum solo, and that aston dude from tweakbird FLIPPED everybody out during the opening act. this dude is a real fucking old school drummer, and shit that was SWEET, when they had "TRIAD" moment similar to when the mushuggah guy did it during lateralus.

When Aston started breaking down his own kit while the lazers and electro-weirdness of sounds were going on, before vicarious, maynard said "we have people that can do that", then as aston left Maynard said, 'now get off my fucking stage"...that sounds rude in type, but it was hilarious contextually.

Being that this is likely the first real rock show at this venue, the security people on the fence were real assholes. And i've been to many many tool shows and others. Its prolly cause i'm used that concrete barn called tingley where you could walk in with needles in your arm and no one would care.

Tool was amazing tonite, and likely one of the best shows, in terms of energy, that i've seen from them in a long time. Like Jack2000 said, I knew what the set-list was going to be, but for some reason tonight, even more than in ABQ 2007, they just struck a chord of energy and simply brought it hard. singing off from farmington....
Old 07-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 18

This was my 10th Tool show dating back to lollapolooza during the undertow days.

I was kind of expecting this show to be underwhelming based on the reviews of the first 3 dates...and boy if they saw this show, even as a tool vet, they were totally ON their game.

Maynard was very chatty and physical, smiled and played around more than usual. The band just seemed really pumped and upbeat (maybe cause they have tomorrow off...that helps when you look at your schedule).

I was maybe fifteen feet back from the fence, underneath justin, big tall guy with danny carey.org enochian t-shirt on with almost waist length hair (down which was a mistake considering how fucking hot it was in there). i only mention this because people kept saying, "hey the back of his shirt is the same thing "that symbol is". Must be Tool n00bs.

From my vantage point, the highlight of the show was the dueling drum solos between danny and the drummer of tweakbird during lateralus. I was so pleased i got to see a real danny carey drum solo, and that aston dude from tweakbird FLIPPED everybody out during the opening act. this dude is a real fucking old school drummer, and shit that was SWEET, when they had "TRIAD" moment similar to when the mushuggah guy did it during lateralus.

When Aston started breaking down his own kit while the lazers and electro-weirdness of sounds were going on, before vicarious, maynard said "we have people that can do that", then as aston left Maynard said, 'now get off my fucking stage"...that sounds rude in type, but it was hilarious contextually.

Being that this is likely the first real rock show at this venue, the security people on the fence were real assholes. And i've been to many many tool shows and others. Its prolly cause i'm used that concrete barn called tingley where you could walk in with needles in your arm and no one would care.

Tool was amazing tonite, and likely one of the best shows, in terms of energy, that i've seen from them in a long time. Like Jack2000 said, I knew what the set-list was going to be, but for some reason tonight, even more than in ABQ 2007, they just struck a chord of energy and simply brought it hard. singing off from farmington....
OFFLINE |  
dendroaspis
07-23-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodini View Post

The security at this show were inexperienced idiots. They didn't know their heads from their ass. Crowdsurfers literally flew over the railing before these tards even reacted...I normally count on security reactions to know when some dude is gonna come crashing over my head, but there is no way you could tell anything from these guys. When they did stand up, it was usually because they smelled some cigarette or pot smoke. When one guy stood up on the railing, 3 others would follow in suit, essentially creating a wall in front of you and the stage. They would stand there for up to a minute, pointing their little flashlights around, then finally step down. Thankfully this didn't happen in front of me too often...I was just off center, a little toward Justin. About 10 feet toward the center, they were CONSTANTLY blocking the view by standing up. They never did this for crowdsurfers though...as I mentioned, those poor fools just flew over the railing half the time.

After the show, Justin crumpled his setlist and threw it off the stage. It landed just beyond the barrier, in front of me. I asked several security guys to get it for me...finally one obliged, and promptly shoved it in his back pocket. Asshole.

Last edited by dendroaspis; 07-23-2009 at 12:04 AM..
Old 07-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

The security at this show were inexperienced idiots. They didn't know their heads from their ass. Crowdsurfers literally flew over the railing before these tards even reacted...I normally count on security reactions to know when some dude is gonna come crashing over my head, but there is no way you could tell anything from these guys. When they did stand up, it was usually because they smelled some cigarette or pot smoke. When one guy stood up on the railing, 3 others would follow in suit, essentially creating a wall in front of you and the stage. They would stand there for up to a minute, pointing their little flashlights around, then finally step down. Thankfully this didn't happen in front of me too often...I was just off center, a little toward Justin. About 10 feet toward the center, they were CONSTANTLY blocking the view by standing up. They never did this for crowdsurfers though...as I mentioned, those poor fools just flew over the railing half the time.

After the show, Justin crumpled his setlist and threw it off the stage. It landed just beyond the barrier, in front of me. I asked several security guys to get it for me...finally one obliged, and promptly shoved it in his back pocket. Asshole.

Last edited by dendroaspis; 07-23-2009 at 12:04 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Whodini's Avatar Whodini
07-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendroaspis View Post

TOTALLY AGREE with you br0. It was something i had never experienced at a rock show before, as far as THIS tight of security. We prolly were near each other at some point. Cause basically you're describing my vantage point.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 18

Quote:

TOTALLY AGREE with you br0. It was something i had never experienced at a rock show before, as far as THIS tight of security. We prolly were near each other at some point. Cause basically you're describing my vantage point.
OFFLINE |  
dendroaspis
07-23-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:

I was on the rail, close to but not quite in front of Justin, but more to the center from him. Great view, when security wasn't blocking it.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I was on the rail, close to but not quite in front of Justin, but more to the center from him. Great view, when security wasn't blocking it.
OFFLINE |  
The Rak
07-23-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
The security at this show were inexperienced idiots. They didn't know their heads from their ass. railing, 3 others would follow in suit, essentially creating a wall in front of you and the stage. .
They made a guy stop shooting camera vid in back of me, but totally missed the alternative t-shirt vendors carrying stacks of shirts through the stands. How do they get in there with all that?

So I'm reevaluating my comments in light of what everyone else said but I stand by them. I'm not a whiner but I called it like I saw it. It's like seeing Metallica last fall and getting totally into the moment on the floor and then getting the show cd from the presale and then hearing all the flaws. I do remember saying "wow" to my kid at several points during the show last night. A very impressive moment was the aggression and fury of the SHit the Bed end section of Rosetta Stoned. Goddam.

Tweak Bird should play Flood. They would rock that shit. My son (almost 13) loved hearing Vicarious, the Jambi opening, thought Lateralus was awesome but also wanted to hear "that song about the monkeys". He gets to wear the new shirt to camp today.

Glad no name and kanaduh hooked up. (Did one of you cats call during tweak bird's set? Too loud to talk on the phone.) Meeting might have been a challenge ("I'm and Indian guy in a black shirt . . . ") Take care on the road, everyone.

August - Green Day in Denver; October - U2 in Vegas - family trips!

Last edited by The Rak; 07-23-2009 at 04:47 AM..
Old 07-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #12

Quote:
The security at this show were inexperienced idiots. They didn't know their heads from their ass. railing, 3 others would follow in suit, essentially creating a wall in front of you and the stage. .
They made a guy stop shooting camera vid in back of me, but totally missed the alternative t-shirt vendors carrying stacks of shirts through the stands. How do they get in there with all that?

So I'm reevaluating my comments in light of what everyone else said but I stand by them. I'm not a whiner but I called it like I saw it. It's like seeing Metallica last fall and getting totally into the moment on the floor and then getting the show cd from the presale and then hearing all the flaws. I do remember saying "wow" to my kid at several points during the show last night. A very impressive moment was the aggression and fury of the SHit the Bed end section of Rosetta Stoned. Goddam.

Tweak Bird should play Flood. They would rock that shit. My son (almost 13) loved hearing Vicarious, the Jambi opening, thought Lateralus was awesome but also wanted to hear "that song about the monkeys". He gets to wear the new shirt to camp today.

Glad no name and kanaduh hooked up. (Did one of you cats call during tweak bird's set? Too loud to talk on the phone.) Meeting might have been a challenge ("I'm and Indian guy in a black shirt . . . ") Take care on the road, everyone.

August - Green Day in Denver; October - U2 in Vegas - family trips!

Last edited by The Rak; 07-23-2009 at 04:47 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Poigea
07-23-2009, 07:06 AM

I thought the concert was pretty good. I saw them in Phoenix too and must say the energy and sound was MUCH better in Phoenix. Despite my issues with the set list the show was still awesome.

The lasers seemed to be a lot more visible here than in Phoenix. Made Rosetta Stoned, Aenema, and Lateralus that much more epic. I really think they should end the show with Lateralus. The build up and climax of that song is amazing, then to follow it up with Vicarious just seems odd to me, but the crowd seems to eat it up so maybe I am just crazy.

I was in section 206 with a drunken/high idiot behind me screaming random things all night. It was pretty annoying and he just never let up.

Overall a pretty good show. I do hope that by the next time they come around they have some new/different material to play.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

I thought the concert was pretty good. I saw them in Phoenix too and must say the energy and sound was MUCH better in Phoenix. Despite my issues with the set list the show was still awesome.

The lasers seemed to be a lot more visible here than in Phoenix. Made Rosetta Stoned, Aenema, and Lateralus that much more epic. I really think they should end the show with Lateralus. The build up and climax of that song is amazing, then to follow it up with Vicarious just seems odd to me, but the crowd seems to eat it up so maybe I am just crazy.

I was in section 206 with a drunken/high idiot behind me screaming random things all night. It was pretty annoying and he just never let up.

Overall a pretty good show. I do hope that by the next time they come around they have some new/different material to play.
OFFLINE |  
Stefen
07-23-2009, 09:36 AM

It was a good show. Second time seeing them. Danny was amazing as he probably always is but early on I think the band seemed to lack energy and I think that had to do with the crowd not being very energetic, either. Once Aenema was played the crowd seemed to transform. Unfortunately, that was almost too late. When the guys returned for the encore the energy was still there I just wish the crowd was more into it early on. I'm glad I went. And to think I was contemplating not going. WOW.

It was my first time at the venus and what a pain it was to get there. My friends and I ended up going to the Santa Ana casino before we were told the venue was 10 miles away. What a bummer.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

It was a good show. Second time seeing them. Danny was amazing as he probably always is but early on I think the band seemed to lack energy and I think that had to do with the crowd not being very energetic, either. Once Aenema was played the crowd seemed to transform. Unfortunately, that was almost too late. When the guys returned for the encore the energy was still there I just wish the crowd was more into it early on. I'm glad I went. And to think I was contemplating not going. WOW.

It was my first time at the venus and what a pain it was to get there. My friends and I ended up going to the Santa Ana casino before we were told the venue was 10 miles away. What a bummer.
OFFLINE |  
creator243
07-23-2009, 10:08 AM

This was the first time that I've actually had a chance to see Tool live. I'd have to say that it was probably the best experience I've had at a concert. Seeing has how I've never seen them live before, I didn't know what to expect. Just about everything was amazing. I couldn't believe the light and lazer show. Other than the mic not working for a quick second everything was spectacular. LOVED IT!

If anyone has good photos from last nights show please let me know. I got some alright ones with my phone but would like some better ones.

Last edited by marcus; 07-23-2009 at 11:01 AM..
Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the first time that I've actually had a chance to see Tool live. I'd have to say that it was probably the best experience I've had at a concert. Seeing has how I've never seen them live before, I didn't know what to expect. Just about everything was amazing. I couldn't believe the light and lazer show. Other than the mic not working for a quick second everything was spectacular. LOVED IT!

If anyone has good photos from last nights show please let me know. I got some alright ones with my phone but would like some better ones.

Last edited by marcus; 07-23-2009 at 11:01 AM..
OFFLINE |  
no_name's Avatar no_name
07-23-2009, 11:44 AM

here are a couple of videos i was able to take with my phone. I think there is going to be some really good footage surfacing in a week or two as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NieAyCjondM - Vicarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvdr-7zfGVA - Flood

I've also got the full song of 46&2 and will upload it tonight. The concert poster from last night was pretty cool too. Kind of similar to the phoenix poster. I am really diggin these last two posters and I was thinking about trying to get all the ones I liked throughout this tour. those vids were taken with a phone so beware that the quality isn't great.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

here are a couple of videos i was able to take with my phone. I think there is going to be some really good footage surfacing in a week or two as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NieAyCjondM - Vicarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvdr-7zfGVA - Flood

I've also got the full song of 46&2 and will upload it tonight. The concert poster from last night was pretty cool too. Kind of similar to the phoenix poster. I am really diggin these last two posters and I was thinking about trying to get all the ones I liked throughout this tour. those vids were taken with a phone so beware that the quality isn't great.
07-23-2009, 06:39 PM

Awesome, something like my 15th Tool show going back to Undertow. I think the rustyness was only noticable when they tried to stretch out and change things a bit. I would go so far as to say that there are at least slight tweaks to every single song.

The crowd was awesome from Stinkfist on.

MJK did a peace out and took a bow before heading off, he didnt stay with the guys as they threw sticks and picks. I don't think we should read anything into that.

Flood was sick

last call was at 9:00 PM - I'm glad I was able to bring my friend Jack who came down from the Yukon.

RS was keeelar, I was toasting you Sonny!

Looking forward to Lolla
08/07/93 - 11/20/94 - 11/09/96 - 06/25/97 - 03/29/98 - 08/03/01 -10/9/01 - 10/10/01 - 11/09/02 - 05/08/06 - 11/09/06 - 06/25/07 - 05/29/07 - 6/01/07 - 06/02/07 - 07/22/09 - 08/08/09 - 06/29/10 - 07/12/10 - 07/15/10- 01/14/2012 - 03/12/2014 - 03/13/2014 - 03/16/2014 - 10/22/2015 - 06/21/2017- 10/13/19 - 10/21/19 - 11/24/19 - 01/15/20 - 02/05/22 - 03/03/22

Corex says:
June 12, 2010 at 1:50 am

"Yeah Tool is fucking amazing. But there’s a big chunk of their fan base that think they’ve become thought provoking geniuses just from listening to them."
Old 07-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

Awesome, something like my 15th Tool show going back to Undertow. I think the rustyness was only noticable when they tried to stretch out and change things a bit. I would go so far as to say that there are at least slight tweaks to every single song.

The crowd was awesome from Stinkfist on.

MJK did a peace out and took a bow before heading off, he didnt stay with the guys as they threw sticks and picks. I don't think we should read anything into that.

Flood was sick

last call was at 9:00 PM - I'm glad I was able to bring my friend Jack who came down from the Yukon.

RS was keeelar, I was toasting you Sonny!

Looking forward to Lolla
08/07/93 - 11/20/94 - 11/09/96 - 06/25/97 - 03/29/98 - 08/03/01 -10/9/01 - 10/10/01 - 11/09/02 - 05/08/06 - 11/09/06 - 06/25/07 - 05/29/07 - 6/01/07 - 06/02/07 - 07/22/09 - 08/08/09 - 06/29/10 - 07/12/10 - 07/15/10- 01/14/2012 - 03/12/2014 - 03/13/2014 - 03/16/2014 - 10/22/2015 - 06/21/2017- 10/13/19 - 10/21/19 - 11/24/19 - 01/15/20 - 02/05/22 - 03/03/22

Corex says:
June 12, 2010 at 1:50 am

"Yeah Tool is fucking amazing. But there’s a big chunk of their fan base that think they’ve become thought provoking geniuses just from listening to them."
OFFLINE |  
licks and teeches's Avatar licks and teeches
07-23-2009, 06:56 PM

what an amazing night it was!!!I got Danny's drum stick that he played Vicarious with!!!!this was mine and my wife's 8th show and definately one of the top 3 performances we've seen.The guys were absolutely on fire,I haven't heard 46&2 or Aenima done with such energy since 2002!!!Maynard was way animated as well..."take that to the fuckin bank",was one of many manardisms,really dug the soldier pose they took on center stage,soaking in the adoration.We were some of the first people there, rail front and center all night like I said before absolutely amazing!!!I still can't bellieve I caught Danny's stick(beat to shit btw).Thanks to TOOL and their awesome crew for bringing some of that magic back to New Mexico,till next time........Peace..out...
Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

what an amazing night it was!!!I got Danny's drum stick that he played Vicarious with!!!!this was mine and my wife's 8th show and definately one of the top 3 performances we've seen.The guys were absolutely on fire,I haven't heard 46&2 or Aenima done with such energy since 2002!!!Maynard was way animated as well..."take that to the fuckin bank",was one of many manardisms,really dug the soldier pose they took on center stage,soaking in the adoration.We were some of the first people there, rail front and center all night like I said before absolutely amazing!!!I still can't bellieve I caught Danny's stick(beat to shit btw).Thanks to TOOL and their awesome crew for bringing some of that magic back to New Mexico,till next time........Peace..out...
07-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Dude can you post pics of the stick. That would be really cool.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Dude can you post pics of the stick. That would be really cool.
OFFLINE |  
07-23-2009, 08:51 PM

here's some pix of the drumstick man Danny sure beat the shit out of those skins and sticks!
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1589/1001828b.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7739/1001827.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2599/1001820.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4716/1001819a.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5438/1001818.jpg

BTW the "drum faggotry" as Maynard called it was really incredible,I think that guy from Tweakbird even suprised Danny.That dude was straight gettin tribal on that little ass kit!!

Last edited by licks and teeches; 07-23-2009 at 08:54 PM..
Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

here's some pix of the drumstick man Danny sure beat the shit out of those skins and sticks!
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1589/1001828b.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7739/1001827.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2599/1001820.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4716/1001819a.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5438/1001818.jpg

BTW the "drum faggotry" as Maynard called it was really incredible,I think that guy from Tweakbird even suprised Danny.That dude was straight gettin tribal on that little ass kit!!

Last edited by licks and teeches; 07-23-2009 at 08:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
no_name's Avatar no_name
07-23-2009, 09:10 PM

I had the same opinion of that aspect of it. It was the best drum duel i've seen with DC. I feel very envious of everyone who is going to the shows later on. Also, the member of tweak bird who played the sax and flute and whatever else he played really seems to have come out of his shell in the last performance as well. In SLC you could barely hear him. I missed most of it in Phoenix though.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

I had the same opinion of that aspect of it. It was the best drum duel i've seen with DC. I feel very envious of everyone who is going to the shows later on. Also, the member of tweak bird who played the sax and flute and whatever else he played really seems to have come out of his shell in the last performance as well. In SLC you could barely hear him. I missed most of it in Phoenix though.
07-23-2009, 09:38 PM

The drum guy in tweak bird is my new hero. I played drums for half an hour in the garage tonight in his honor.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #22

The drum guy in tweak bird is my new hero. I played drums for half an hour in the garage tonight in his honor.
OFFLINE |  
Skigh
07-24-2009, 07:54 AM

It was AWESOME! This was my first concert ever and probably going to be the best I'll ever see!
The lights and lasers were awesome, along with the cool screen images!
They played almost all my favorite songs! (I wish they would have played The Pot)
The drums duel was WICKED! and there seemed to be quite a bit of changes in the songs they played.
The part they changed in Schism was so cool! Danny started going crazy on the drums, while Adam and Justin played a bit faster than the original version.
Overall it was an awesome experience! I'd go see them again if they came back! I'd also recommend seeing them to anyone!
Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

It was AWESOME! This was my first concert ever and probably going to be the best I'll ever see!
The lights and lasers were awesome, along with the cool screen images!
They played almost all my favorite songs! (I wish they would have played The Pot)
The drums duel was WICKED! and there seemed to be quite a bit of changes in the songs they played.
The part they changed in Schism was so cool! Danny started going crazy on the drums, while Adam and Justin played a bit faster than the original version.
Overall it was an awesome experience! I'd go see them again if they came back! I'd also recommend seeing them to anyone!
OFFLINE |  
jeremywize's Avatar jeremywize
07-24-2009, 09:27 AM

[QUOTE=kanaduh;2761756]tool show #15, 4th on this tour...

ehhhhhhhhhhhh!

I just want to say that is way cool of anyone to help out anyone at anytime, there needs to be more mention of good people doing good things, too much badmouthing and not enough props in this world, well done you two, well done!!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

[QUOTE=kanaduh;2761756]tool show #15, 4th on this tour...

ehhhhhhhhhhhh!

I just want to say that is way cool of anyone to help out anyone at anytime, there needs to be more mention of good people doing good things, too much badmouthing and not enough props in this world, well done you two, well done!!
07-24-2009, 11:43 AM

i saw it and it was good. tool themselves did awesome but the arena was a little too bass-y. drowned out the vocals sometimes. im pretty sure that maynard just makes stuff up for rosetta stoned lol
Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

i saw it and it was good. tool themselves did awesome but the arena was a little too bass-y. drowned out the vocals sometimes. im pretty sure that maynard just makes stuff up for rosetta stoned lol
OFFLINE |  
OrphanGrinder's Avatar OrphanGrinder
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks a lot, man. It is really cool to see a stick that DC has used, because you ca tell a lot from the marks left on it. He is my hero. Again, thanks.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Thanks a lot, man. It is really cool to see a stick that DC has used, because you ca tell a lot from the marks left on it. He is my hero. Again, thanks.
OFFLINE |  
07-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrphanGrinder View Post
yeah man no problem.I'm still buzzin from catching the actual stick I watched him play Vicarious with.Can't wait for the next tour
Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrphanGrinder View Post
yeah man no problem.I'm still buzzin from catching the actual stick I watched him play Vicarious with.Can't wait for the next tour

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply