opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/12/13 - Zurich, SUI - Hallenstadium

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/13 - Zurich, SUI - Hallenstadium

Setlist:

Stinkfist
Forty-Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 73

Setlist

Mastodon

1. This Mortal Soil
2. The Wolf Is Loose
3. Crystal Skull
4. Capillarian Crest
5. Colony of Birchmen
6. Sleeping Giant
7. Circle Of Cysquatch (not quite sure if I remember this correctly though)
8. Megalodon
9. Hearts Alive

Tool

1. Stinkfist
2. Forty Six & 2
3. Jambi
4. Schism
5. Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
6. Swamp Song
7. Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days
8. Lateralus
9. Vicarious
10. Ænema

Venue
The Hallenstadion is quite big and wasn't even close to sold out. A smaller, more intimate, more packed house would have been nicer. The number of idiots among the crowd was pleasingly low and people were generally nice and friendly although not terribly enthusiastic (which is exactly what one should expect from a Swiss crowd).

Sound
Mastodon's sound quality was much better than I thought, given the negative reviews I've read. Tool were good overall, although they were too loud in my mind. Danny's drums were too dominant and Maynard would often get swallowed completely amongst all the cacophony the others generated.

Mastodon
They put on a decent to good show, even though only few members of the crowd seemed to care. I still wonder how much better this band would be if they used a decent singer instead of the amorphous growling they're passing of as vocals currently.
Honorable mentions go to the cool background poster of the current album art and the silly stage fight during "Colony of Birchmen", involving a gorilla, thrown bananas, a big hammer and some unidentifiable creature (a Birchman?).

Best Song: Crystal Skull, Hearts Alive
Worst Song: Capillarian Crest

Tool
I'll go through the setlist...

Stinkfist
A underwhelming opener in my mind. Maybe I just heard this tune too often. They played the extended middle section. Nothing too exciting yet.

Forty Six & 2
This was already better. The base riff of this tune has and always will just rock.

Jambi
Woah! Now things get exciting. This tune rocks mercilessly live and makes for the first definite highlight.

Schism
A well played crowd favourite. I don't like the extended middle section too much though, it sounds exactly like all the other extended middle sections in their other songs without adding anything worthwhile, imo.

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
I always hated this song, and its suckiness also lives on in its live incarnation. How long is this sucker, 40 minutes? It certainly feels like it. It's just one boring hodgepodge of overlong, overplayed Tool clichés. And Maynard, please stop rapping.

Swamp Song
It would take a better song to recover from the energy drain that was "Rosetta Stoned". It's still ok though, but I, and most of the crowd I sense, were losing focus.

Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days
Now that's more like it! I think Justin fired up a lighter and suggested the crowd should go on with it. But after too many minutes of feedback noise without any actual song playing, most lights were faded out again soon. Anyhoo, the green lasers were a total blast and the "10'000 Days" part was terrific. The song's buildup was gripping and elegantly choreographed with the laser show. All in all, an excellent song that made me almost forget the bore that was Rosetta Stoned. Have I mentioned yet that I can't stand that song?

Lateralus
Another easy crowd pleaser. Bränn Dailor would join Danny in doing some masturbatory drum soloing during the build up phase in the middle. It seemed a bit out of place to me in this song though.

Vicarious
Aah, do I ever love that song. It's like a 7 minute overview on why Tool can be so nice. They played some interesting CG visuals in the background during the song, which may or may not be related to the Vicarious video. Who knows, maybe that video is already out yet and I'm totally out of the loop? I stopped checking the Vicarious video thread MONTHS ago.

Ænema
The perfect closer song, giving you that final kick in the ass to round of a pleasant evening.

Highlights
Jambi, 10'000 Days, Vicarious, Ænema

Lowlights
Rosetta Stoned. This one is a stinker. They could have played both 'Disposition' and 'Reflection' during the time they wasted on this! Imagine that! Those songs would have been 100 times better. Also, the "don't you ever smoke or take pictures or we will rape you in the ass" nazi-crap is just annoying.

Misc
Maynard's stage outfit and haircut are fuckin' badass now. It makes his weird kung-fu dance moves only look slightly stupid instead of totally stupid.

Maynards greeting went something like this. "Hello. We're Tool, apparently. I have good news and bad news. The good news are... there are no bad news." He closed the concert with "See you next summer."

The visual effects were very well played. It wasn't overdone and nicely orchestrated along the music. The video snippets were not as in-your-face distracting as they were on the Lateralus tour, which is another plus.

Final verdict
A good to very good concert.

Last edited by Squishy; 12-13-2006 at 05:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2006, 01:37 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Perfect, brilliant, enormous there are no other words for the all show. And yes Rosetta stoned is an excellent song.
The Hallenstadium was a bite too big for Tool I have to agree. There were 6'000 people yesterday when last monday they were 13'000 for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But the sound was excellent, the laser, the lights, everything was perfect. Like said before the swiss crowd was not too enthusiamic... typical..? I don't know but for me I like to listen to Tool carefully, in a confortable seat and not being at the first row. But I guess we are all different.

Because perfection does not exist, I will give a 9.9 points (10 is the maximum) for the all show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2006, 04:23 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought the concert was outstanding. Yeah, the stadium was too big and a little too much lighting, but the quality of what was happening on stage was amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would have to say that the energy level came down a bit during the Swamp Song /Wings/10K session, but that doesn't mean it was not brillantly executed. Regarding Rosetta Stoned, it is actually one of my favourites on the new album and maybe the only slight disappointment. It was not as awesome live as I had hoped. It was probably the only song that was not delivered as tight and precise as the rest. Cause the rest was really extraordinary.
I can not think of any other rock musicians I know of who perform at this level regularly.

Overall this concert blew me away and I will with out a doubt try to see Tool again in the future. They are rising to be an all time favourite.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2006, 06:06 AM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Finally found some time to post. The show was a great one! 7th one for this album and I would rate it second out of the ones I saw with my beautiful wife Suzie. Glasgow still rates as one of the best but that might have been due to it being that I was able to take my mum and dad along with us. We were able to spend a short time after with the guys and distributed some parting gifts (bottles of wine from Sud de France - H). Of course Danny would notice the Templar cross on the label. CHEERS! It was cool to hear about and watch the video play back of the Mastodon set's added bonus - a rather large monkey [Justin - Where does one buy a gorilla suit in Vienna?] along with an organ grinder [Adam - yes, you did look like one of the aliens from "They Live"]. Did anyone get a banana? Hope you are all having a blast in Greece. Hope to see you sooner than next summer. Thanks again for the music. It creates an ever changing soundtrack for my life.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

nice review! Thanks for the extra info - always nice to hear what they are doing over seas vs. here in the states.

Mastodon

1. This Mortal Soil
2. The Wolf Is Loose
3. Crystal Skull
4. Capillarian Crest
5. Colony of Birchmen
6. Sleeping Giant
7. Circle Of Cysquatch (not quite sure if I remember this correctly though)
8. Megalodon
9. Hearts Alive

Tool

1. Stinkfist
2. Forty Six & 2
3. Jambi
4. Schism
5. Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
6. Swamp Song
7. Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days
8. Lateralus
9. Vicarious
10. Ænema

Venue
The Hallenstadion is quite big and wasn't even close to sold out. A smaller, more intimate, more packed house would have been nicer. The number of idiots among the crowd was pleasingly low and people were generally nice and friendly although not terribly enthusiastic (which is exactly what one should expect from a Swiss crowd).

Sound
Mastodon's sound quality was much better than I thought, given the negative reviews I've read. Tool were good overall, although they were too loud in my mind. Danny's drums were too dominant and Maynard would often get swallowed completely amongst all the cacophony the others generated.

Mastodon
They put on a decent to good show, even though only few members of the crowd seemed to care. I still wonder how much better this band would be if they used a decent singer instead of the amorphous growling they're passing of as vocals currently.
Honorable mentions go to the cool background poster of the current album art and the silly stage fight during "Colony of Birchmen", involving a gorilla, thrown bananas, a big hammer and some unidentifiable creature (a Birchman?).

Best Song: Crystal Skull, Hearts Alive
Worst Song: Capillarian Crest

Tool
I'll go through the setlist...

Stinkfist
A underwhelming opener in my mind. Maybe I just heard this tune too often. They played the extended middle section. Nothing too exciting yet.

Forty Six & 2
This was already better. The base riff of this tune has and always will just rock.

Jambi
Woah! Now things get exciting. This tune rocks mercilessly live and makes for the first definite highlight.

Schism
A well played crowd favourite. I don't like the extended middle section too much though, it sounds exactly like all the other extended middle sections in their other songs without adding anything worthwhile, imo.

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
I always hated this song, and its suckiness also lives on in its live incarnation. How long is this sucker, 40 minutes? It certainly feels like it. It's just one boring hodgepodge of overlong, overplayed Tool clichés. And Maynard, please stop rapping.

Swamp Song
It would take a better song to recover from the energy drain that was "Rosetta Stoned". It's still ok though, but I, and most of the crowd I sense, were losing focus.

Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days
Now that's more like it! I think Justin fired up a lighter and suggested the crowd should go on with it. But after too many minutes of feedback noise without any actual song playing, most lights were faded out again soon. Anyhoo, the green lasers were a total blast and the "10'000 Days" part was terrific. The song's buildup was gripping and elegantly choreographed with the laser show. All in all, an excellent song that made me almost forget the bore that was Rosetta Stoned. Have I mentioned yet that I can't stand that song?

Lateralus
Another easy crowd pleaser. Bränn Dailor would join Danny in doing some masturbatory drum soloing during the build up phase in the middle. It seemed a bit out of place to me in this song though.

Vicarious
Aah, do I ever love that song. It's like a 7 minute overview on why Tool can be so nice. They played some interesting CG visuals in the background during the song, which may or may not be related to the Vicarious video. Who knows, maybe that video is already out yet and I'm totally out of the loop? I stopped checking the Vicarious video thread MONTHS ago.

Ænema
The perfect closer song, giving you that final kick in the ass to round of a pleasant evening.

Highlights
Jambi, 10'000 Days, Vicarious, Ænema

Lowlights
Rosetta Stoned. This one is a stinker. They could have played both 'Disposition' and 'Reflection' during the time they wasted on this! Imagine that! Those songs would have been 100 times better. Also, the "don't you ever smoke or take pictures or we will rape you in the ass" nazi-crap is just annoying.

Misc
Maynard's stage outfit and haircut are fuckin' badass now. It makes his weird kung-fu dance moves only look slightly stupid instead of totally stupid.

Maynards greeting went something like this. "Hello. We're Tool, apparently. I have good news and bad news. The good news are... there are no bad news." He closed the concert with "See you next summer."

The visual effects were very well played. It wasn't overdone and nicely orchestrated along the music. The video snippets were not as in-your-face distracting as they were on the Lateralus tour, which is another plus.

Final verdict
A good to very good concert.[/QUOTE]
Last TOOL show in 2010 in Morrison, CO: Red Rocks

"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been."
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: