Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
JShaney
04-27-2006, 04:58 PM

thanx fault, opiate son

APC dead?????hmmmm

Would you guys say that may mean more focus on tool sooner next record release.......or not neccesarilly.

and also....i don't want to get bashed for this...but

anyway you guys think maybe tool did come to a point when they were like.....
Ok we've all done are "own" thing for a while, maynard is done with the apc crap (opinion) and we all really like what we got goin on with tool so lets focus on tool for a while..........and then just started recording this record a little forcefully in order to give the fans what they want????? I know I'm speculating or maybe just hopeing a little too much.......but

My hope is that they put out a quick collection (not Bsides) of non-concept songs (ie like undertow sort-of) just to give us something to chew on while they can go on tour together and put some more of their classic perspectives together to create another concept album (because i do remember them saying they were interested in doing a Wall-like Sndtrk) which 10000 days certainly is not.

Don't hurt me fella's, for my optimism, but tell me what you think? lol
exuse my lengthiness.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #81
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: Lateralus - Maynard - 10K Days

thanx fault, opiate son

APC dead?????hmmmm

Would you guys say that may mean more focus on tool sooner next record release.......or not neccesarilly.

and also....i don't want to get bashed for this...but

anyway you guys think maybe tool did come to a point when they were like.....
Ok we've all done are "own" thing for a while, maynard is done with the apc crap (opinion) and we all really like what we got goin on with tool so lets focus on tool for a while..........and then just started recording this record a little forcefully in order to give the fans what they want????? I know I'm speculating or maybe just hopeing a little too much.......but

My hope is that they put out a quick collection (not Bsides) of non-concept songs (ie like undertow sort-of) just to give us something to chew on while they can go on tour together and put some more of their classic perspectives together to create another concept album (because i do remember them saying they were interested in doing a Wall-like Sndtrk) which 10000 days certainly is not.

Don't hurt me fella's, for my optimism, but tell me what you think? lol
exuse my lengthiness.
OFFLINE |  
FreakyNipples69
04-27-2006, 05:11 PM

I think we are all greedy.

We were expecting a mind blowing, over the top, nothing short of greatness album. Something that would just bring you to your knees the first time you listened to it, as if it was the greatest album ever made in history.

You are all greedy bastards. You can't seem to accept the fact that 10,000 Days isn't what I mentioned above. It's a good fucking album, don't get me wrong I love it. But the anticipation for the album was over done and we all felt alittle disappointed in a way that it wasn't the greatest album ever done by Tool. But you know what, who the fuck cares. It's new tool, and it's still pretty fucking good.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #82
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I think we are all greedy.

We were expecting a mind blowing, over the top, nothing short of greatness album. Something that would just bring you to your knees the first time you listened to it, as if it was the greatest album ever made in history.

You are all greedy bastards. You can't seem to accept the fact that 10,000 Days isn't what I mentioned above. It's a good fucking album, don't get me wrong I love it. But the anticipation for the album was over done and we all felt alittle disappointed in a way that it wasn't the greatest album ever done by Tool. But you know what, who the fuck cares. It's new tool, and it's still pretty fucking good.
OFFLINE |  
Luosdasa's Avatar Luosdasa
04-27-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokusabaru Sakuraba
Fellow Tool enthusiasts.
For me there is much rejoicing with this grand new Tool album. A big reason being what I percieve as a return to form for our friend MJK.
In my opinion the 'Nard was strangely distant on most of Lateralus (the exceptions being Lateralus the song, Parabola and the second half of Schism). Instrumentally I think Lateralus (the album) is as strong as anything Tool has ever done, but the singing and lyrics often times feels disconnected from the music. The most painful example of this in my opinion is The Patient, which is a fucking fantastic peice of music made tedious by the singing (except for the "Must keep reminding myself"-part).
My personal guess as to why this happened would be that APC significantly drained MJK. I also think he was under pressure to maintain a thematic separation between APC and Tool. But mainly I think he got to vent a lot of pent up emotions on Mer De Noms, and as a result he had less to say on Lateralus.
Now however the motherfucker is back. In all his ironic, provocative, bitter, giddy, introspective, Pissed off, playful, cynical, storytelling, ass-kicking complex glory.
Simply Maynard.

I find it shocking that a few people consider 10K to be a weak Tool album (and keep saying it over and over), when in my book it is easily stronger than Lateralus simply because it works as a cohesive whole, where Lateralus to me is significantly less impressive in the vocals department. I will concede that Lateralus the song rivals anything Tool has ever done including everything on this new record.
If 10K can rival AEnima only time will tell.

Perhaps the haters of this new album are actually a group of people that primarily likes Tool for Maynards work on Lateralus, and don't really pay much attention to the music?
Oh well, it's a theory.

The end.
I understand what you say about parts of Lateralus lacking in the lyrics department, but i dont think that took anything away from the it. The lyrics in Ticks and Leaches did nothing for me, but the drums... woh. From what iv heard from 10k days, while maynard may have picked up the slack a bit, the rest of the band may have let it off a little. Its still great, but musically i dont think anything could match Lateralus, and i wouldnt expect it too.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #83
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokusabaru Sakuraba
Fellow Tool enthusiasts.
For me there is much rejoicing with this grand new Tool album. A big reason being what I percieve as a return to form for our friend MJK.
In my opinion the 'Nard was strangely distant on most of Lateralus (the exceptions being Lateralus the song, Parabola and the second half of Schism). Instrumentally I think Lateralus (the album) is as strong as anything Tool has ever done, but the singing and lyrics often times feels disconnected from the music. The most painful example of this in my opinion is The Patient, which is a fucking fantastic peice of music made tedious by the singing (except for the "Must keep reminding myself"-part).
My personal guess as to why this happened would be that APC significantly drained MJK. I also think he was under pressure to maintain a thematic separation between APC and Tool. But mainly I think he got to vent a lot of pent up emotions on Mer De Noms, and as a result he had less to say on Lateralus.
Now however the motherfucker is back. In all his ironic, provocative, bitter, giddy, introspective, Pissed off, playful, cynical, storytelling, ass-kicking complex glory.
Simply Maynard.

I find it shocking that a few people consider 10K to be a weak Tool album (and keep saying it over and over), when in my book it is easily stronger than Lateralus simply because it works as a cohesive whole, where Lateralus to me is significantly less impressive in the vocals department. I will concede that Lateralus the song rivals anything Tool has ever done including everything on this new record.
If 10K can rival AEnima only time will tell.

Perhaps the haters of this new album are actually a group of people that primarily likes Tool for Maynards work on Lateralus, and don't really pay much attention to the music?
Oh well, it's a theory.

The end.
I understand what you say about parts of Lateralus lacking in the lyrics department, but i dont think that took anything away from the it. The lyrics in Ticks and Leaches did nothing for me, but the drums... woh. From what iv heard from 10k days, while maynard may have picked up the slack a bit, the rest of the band may have let it off a little. Its still great, but musically i dont think anything could match Lateralus, and i wouldnt expect it too.
OFFLINE |  
JShaney
04-27-2006, 05:44 PM

I don't know if we're greedy...
I mean.....people who say this album sucks might be either exaggerating or greedy, but we all have a right to our opinions.

the reason i dont feel were greedy is because I think this album is great......but only great compared to the likes of an OK rock band.

By tools standard this is not a great album, as an average tool album is amazing and this is only good. At the same time this average that i speak of is only an average of a mere 4 full length records.......so i just see it as a result of tool not force out songs but they let them develop in order to put out the best possible product.

Tool is getting money for thier efforts and I feel that we have the right to say whatever we want about a product we buy. I like the record but if this is the "best possible product" that they released.......then it is a let down.

The songs are maybe even as good as most any they've done but there's only 6 of em' for which they don't really gel like my favorite tool record Aenima did. I can't really complain about the songs like some of us can, but I will complain about the record as a whole. Not satisfying ala Undertow Aenima Lateralus.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #84
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I don't know if we're greedy...
I mean.....people who say this album sucks might be either exaggerating or greedy, but we all have a right to our opinions.

the reason i dont feel were greedy is because I think this album is great......but only great compared to the likes of an OK rock band.

By tools standard this is not a great album, as an average tool album is amazing and this is only good. At the same time this average that i speak of is only an average of a mere 4 full length records.......so i just see it as a result of tool not force out songs but they let them develop in order to put out the best possible product.

Tool is getting money for thier efforts and I feel that we have the right to say whatever we want about a product we buy. I like the record but if this is the "best possible product" that they released.......then it is a let down.

The songs are maybe even as good as most any they've done but there's only 6 of em' for which they don't really gel like my favorite tool record Aenima did. I can't really complain about the songs like some of us can, but I will complain about the record as a whole. Not satisfying ala Undertow Aenima Lateralus.
OFFLINE |  
guitarpete987
04-27-2006, 06:37 PM

I find this album to be completely satisfying.

I like lots of different types of music, but Tool is my favorite band. Total OGT here. I hear emotion, passion, virtuosity, humor and lots of hard work all throughout this new record.

Lots of peaks and valleys in terms of mood and timbre. Does an album have to be a concept album to be great? I hardly think so. I was actually hoping that Tool's new album wouldn't be one. And just because Tool didn't want to go that route doesn't mean that this record was lazy or came easy to them. It's often very complex, and at times it's very simple. So what? In my opinion, it's all done beautifully.

There are a lot of incredibly powerful moments. And I'm talking about the instrumental music. I've read people saying that the album is dry and weak in terms of it's musical power. Well, I completely disagree. I hear the intensity oozing out of this album.

The lyrics, well, the lyrics are very MJK, to me. His lyrics are hardly poetry and are usually quite direct. Come on, metaphors and allusions to religion and the occult aren't exactly mindblowing. Mindblowing to me is emotion, and Wings/10kDays and Rosetta Stoned (yes, a particular kind of claustrophobic emotion) are just dripping with this.

This album pleased me, bottom line. I'm proud that Tool made this album. People who don't like it aren't wrong. It's their loss though. I don't like a lot of things that other people like. There are lots of bands that I really respect that I don't like all the albums of. It's just my taste. But I don't go constantly reminding people how sad I think it is that they like what I believe to be a lackluster album.

I'm really getting tired of people saying that Tool has let everybody down. Because they haven't. They have made an album that they felt was good enough to release to the world.

And to me, it sits right alongside the others in greatness.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #85
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

I like lots of different types of music, but Tool is my favorite band. Total OGT here. I hear emotion, passion, virtuosity, humor and lots of hard work all throughout this new record.

Lots of peaks and valleys in terms of mood and timbre. Does an album have to be a concept album to be great? I hardly think so. I was actually hoping that Tool's new album wouldn't be one. And just because Tool didn't want to go that route doesn't mean that this record was lazy or came easy to them. It's often very complex, and at times it's very simple. So what? In my opinion, it's all done beautifully.

There are a lot of incredibly powerful moments. And I'm talking about the instrumental music. I've read people saying that the album is dry and weak in terms of it's musical power. Well, I completely disagree. I hear the intensity oozing out of this album.

The lyrics, well, the lyrics are very MJK, to me. His lyrics are hardly poetry and are usually quite direct. Come on, metaphors and allusions to religion and the occult aren't exactly mindblowing. Mindblowing to me is emotion, and Wings/10kDays and Rosetta Stoned (yes, a particular kind of claustrophobic emotion) are just dripping with this.

This album pleased me, bottom line. I'm proud that Tool made this album. People who don't like it aren't wrong. It's their loss though. I don't like a lot of things that other people like. There are lots of bands that I really respect that I don't like all the albums of. It's just my taste. But I don't go constantly reminding people how sad I think it is that they like what I believe to be a lackluster album.

I'm really getting tired of people saying that Tool has let everybody down. Because they haven't. They have made an album that they felt was good enough to release to the world.

OFFLINE |  
operativex
04-27-2006, 07:09 PM

man, so many great opinions in this thread, and I can't really argue or disagree with any of them too much. Just shows what a gift the music from Tool (all of it) is to us all. What else could have so many different effects on so many different people?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #86
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

man, so many great opinions in this thread, and I can't really argue or disagree with any of them too much. Just shows what a gift the music from Tool (all of it) is to us all. What else could have so many different effects on so many different people?
OFFLINE |  
Jambi Dexter's Avatar Jambi Dexter
04-27-2006, 07:26 PM

10 000 Days = Aenima > Lateralus > Undertow > Opiate
I've got my opinion.
I don't fucking care about concept/not concept, sound, technique, hoax...blah blah
I feel better when i listen 10kDays than Lateralus

Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #87
Level 2 - Poster

10 000 Days = Aenima > Lateralus > Undertow > Opiate
I've got my opinion.
I don't fucking care about concept/not concept, sound, technique, hoax...blah blah
I feel better when i listen 10kDays than Lateralus

OFFLINE |  
negapod
04-27-2006, 07:27 PM

I couldn't disagree with you more; I love The Grudge. It's one of my favorite Tool songs, but even I think Lateralus was weak. Anyway, man, don't shit on The Grudge.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #88
Level 1 - Lurker

I couldn't disagree with you more; I love The Grudge. It's one of my favorite Tool songs, but even I think Lateralus was weak. Anyway, man, don't shit on The Grudge.
OFFLINE |  
JShaney
04-27-2006, 08:53 PM

well i really, really like each of the songs, but as far as peaks and valleys I would compare this record to a hill then a plateau.....

this doesn't really mean anything other than the only songs that took me on any kind of ride was wings and LK-stoned.

I love pretty much every tool song......but I'm not explaining my displeasures with the songs here, but rather discussing the album.

10000 days is like a seafood sampler, it tastes good and all, but I'd rather go to an all-you-can-eat-buffet, lol.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #89
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

well i really, really like each of the songs, but as far as peaks and valleys I would compare this record to a hill then a plateau.....

this doesn't really mean anything other than the only songs that took me on any kind of ride was wings and LK-stoned.

I love pretty much every tool song......but I'm not explaining my displeasures with the songs here, but rather discussing the album.

10000 days is like a seafood sampler, it tastes good and all, but I'd rather go to an all-you-can-eat-buffet, lol.
OFFLINE |  
Rokusabaru Sakuraba
04-28-2006, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987

Nice post!
I think maybe the fact that Maynard is back with a vengence on this here 10K Days makes it harder for people to take in the other elements of the music.
Lateralus is in my opinion instrumentally much easier to access than any of the other albums because MJK offers less of a distraction.
To me 10K Days is at least as impressive as Lateralus music-wise, it's just that Maynard is at the top of his game and as a result tends to hog all the attention.
I really like this aspect though. It makes the discovery of the album more layered and prolonged. AEnima was this way for me too.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:24 AM   #90
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987

Nice post!
I think maybe the fact that Maynard is back with a vengence on this here 10K Days makes it harder for people to take in the other elements of the music.
Lateralus is in my opinion instrumentally much easier to access than any of the other albums because MJK offers less of a distraction.
To me 10K Days is at least as impressive as Lateralus music-wise, it's just that Maynard is at the top of his game and as a result tends to hog all the attention.
I really like this aspect though. It makes the discovery of the album more layered and prolonged. AEnima was this way for me too.
OFFLINE |  
Rokusabaru Sakuraba
04-28-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negapod
Sorry, I din't mean to. The Grudge is also in my opinion one of the best songs on Lateralus. All I'm saying is that Lyrically basically all of 10K Days is better, and most of the songs on 10K Days is better singing-wise (IMO).
This does not mean that The Grudge is not a kick-ass song, because it is.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:36 AM   #91
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by negapod
Sorry, I din't mean to. The Grudge is also in my opinion one of the best songs on Lateralus. All I'm saying is that Lyrically basically all of 10K Days is better, and most of the songs on 10K Days is better singing-wise (IMO).
This does not mean that The Grudge is not a kick-ass song, because it is.
OFFLINE |  
Rokusabaru Sakuraba
04-28-2006, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james (blame ryan)
To hell with reading all that, but did you just say 10,000 Days is better than Lateralus.

Gay.
I think you need some love in your life.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:44 AM   #92
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by james (blame ryan)
To hell with reading all that, but did you just say 10,000 Days is better than Lateralus.

Gay.
I think you need some love in your life.
OFFLINE |  
Xethmir
04-28-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
I just can't wrap my brain around how people think this is a good Tool record. I'm so jealous.
Keep at it a few more listens - it'll soon kick in!
Old 04-28-2006, 02:46 AM   #93
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
I just can't wrap my brain around how people think this is a good Tool record. I'm so jealous.
Keep at it a few more listens - it'll soon kick in!
OFFLINE |  
Rokusabaru Sakuraba
04-28-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulogy508
10K Days is easily the least cohesive thing Tool has done. It's strange, uneven, and all over the place in terms of sound, mood, and tone. Lateralus to me had a consistent mood throughout, or at least seemed very well put together and cohesive. Songs like The Patient, Parabola, the title track, etc. are heavy, ethereal, beautiful, and just spellbinding, they could make me cry if I was feeling sad. 10K Days is emotionally unattatched, very angry. It does nothing for me at all, and I have no clue in the world how some people here hold it so highly.
I kinda agree that 10K Days as an album is all over the place, but I don't consider this a bad thing.
One of the major things that attracts me to Tool is their musical fearlessness. They are uncompromising servants of music. This is one of the few bands in the world who can be totally emotionally exposed and intimate, but also fucking charging into battle guns blazing nuculear blast all-out warfare sex junkie death lovers, IN THE SAME SONG.
It is very common for tool to take us for a ride to very different places within a song. I don't mind them at all exaggerating these juxapositions on the album as a whole.
I just love that we have Wings 1&2 on the same album as The Pot.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:00 AM   #94
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulogy508
10K Days is easily the least cohesive thing Tool has done. It's strange, uneven, and all over the place in terms of sound, mood, and tone. Lateralus to me had a consistent mood throughout, or at least seemed very well put together and cohesive. Songs like The Patient, Parabola, the title track, etc. are heavy, ethereal, beautiful, and just spellbinding, they could make me cry if I was feeling sad. 10K Days is emotionally unattatched, very angry. It does nothing for me at all, and I have no clue in the world how some people here hold it so highly.
I kinda agree that 10K Days as an album is all over the place, but I don't consider this a bad thing.
One of the major things that attracts me to Tool is their musical fearlessness. They are uncompromising servants of music. This is one of the few bands in the world who can be totally emotionally exposed and intimate, but also fucking charging into battle guns blazing nuculear blast all-out warfare sex junkie death lovers, IN THE SAME SONG.
It is very common for tool to take us for a ride to very different places within a song. I don't mind them at all exaggerating these juxapositions on the album as a whole.
I just love that we have Wings 1&2 on the same album as The Pot.
OFFLINE |  
Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-28-2006, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault
Personal, political/social and joke/drug angle. It doesnt gel together.
youve never heard undertow then
Old 04-28-2006, 04:33 AM   #95
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault
Personal, political/social and joke/drug angle. It doesnt gel together.
youve never heard undertow then
OFFLINE |  
comfortably_numb
04-28-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_atomic
Rosetta Stoned is a call to warning for anyone who digs to heavily into the occult. It is healthy to acknowledge our Shadow side through the occult, or supernatural--alchemy, astrology, aliens, secret cults, sacred geometry, symbology (see Carl Jung i.g. '46 & 2')--but when it becomes an unhealthy fixation, it can only lead to madness. And it has for many, many people.

Now compare this to those obsessed with the symbology of Lateralus. From interviews I gather that Maynard has reached a point where he believes that the whole "enlightenment quest" promised by the occult and pseudo-Eastern/pagan belief systems is really just a giant maze of finely crafted nonsense designed to keep you UNenlightened. It is no different than the religion he's railed against for so long.

Lateralus was largely a musical blueprint of the band's hope for the transcendent in life. It's something they feel when they play music. It exists, but how do you bring that into your every day life?, and more importantly: Why is it so criminally absent from human experience? That's Lateralus.

10,000 Days is more acceptance that these various lifetstyles are escape mechanisms built around the fear of death and decay. It seems only Judith Marie was capable of penetrating through the confusing surface of the human religious spirit, and find the undercurrent of original light that the band has said they feel when they play music.

But I hear in this album a growth away from the fixation on symbols and metaphor. It's more straightforward and a little more disconnected because they sound tired of the whole occult mystery within a mystery

Thank you for taking the time, that's by far the best post i've read in a long time!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:52 AM   #96
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_atomic
Rosetta Stoned is a call to warning for anyone who digs to heavily into the occult. It is healthy to acknowledge our Shadow side through the occult, or supernatural--alchemy, astrology, aliens, secret cults, sacred geometry, symbology (see Carl Jung i.g. '46 & 2')--but when it becomes an unhealthy fixation, it can only lead to madness. And it has for many, many people.

Now compare this to those obsessed with the symbology of Lateralus. From interviews I gather that Maynard has reached a point where he believes that the whole "enlightenment quest" promised by the occult and pseudo-Eastern/pagan belief systems is really just a giant maze of finely crafted nonsense designed to keep you UNenlightened. It is no different than the religion he's railed against for so long.

Lateralus was largely a musical blueprint of the band's hope for the transcendent in life. It's something they feel when they play music. It exists, but how do you bring that into your every day life?, and more importantly: Why is it so criminally absent from human experience? That's Lateralus.

10,000 Days is more acceptance that these various lifetstyles are escape mechanisms built around the fear of death and decay. It seems only Judith Marie was capable of penetrating through the confusing surface of the human religious spirit, and find the undercurrent of original light that the band has said they feel when they play music.

But I hear in this album a growth away from the fixation on symbols and metaphor. It's more straightforward and a little more disconnected because they sound tired of the whole occult mystery within a mystery

Thank you for taking the time, that's by far the best post i've read in a long time!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply