Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
placidium's Avatar placidium
04-23-2006, 11:13 AM

the drum fill after the second chorus.. the 2nd "cuz i need to watch things die." that faint ringing before the final build-up, during the second trance riff.. the climax (obviously).. those are just perfect moments, to me..

the vocals in this song are achingly beautiful. when he says "it's like blood to a vampire.." the way he does.. i don't think i've ever been so captivated, so on the edge..
Old 04-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 1805
moments on this track that grab you by the balls

the drum fill after the second chorus.. the 2nd "cuz i need to watch things die." that faint ringing before the final build-up, during the second trance riff.. the climax (obviously).. those are just perfect moments, to me..

the vocals in this song are achingly beautiful. when he says "it's like blood to a vampire.." the way he does.. i don't think i've ever been so captivated, so on the edge..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Ancalagon
04-23-2006, 11:15 AM

"So it is, so it's always been ..." and the subsequent instrumental buildup rank among Tool's best.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Re: moments on this track that grab you by the balls

"So it is, so it's always been ..." and the subsequent instrumental buildup rank among Tool's best.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
04-23-2006, 11:26 AM

"credulous at best your desire to believe in, angels in the hearts of men" That's some powerfull songwriting which never stops to send shivers down my spine.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

"credulous at best your desire to believe in, angels in the hearts of men" That's some powerfull songwriting which never stops to send shivers down my spine.
04-23-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
that part and
"the universe is hostile (the way he sings hostile AHH) so impersonal, etc. from there on
Old 04-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
that part and
"the universe is hostile (the way he sings hostile AHH) so impersonal, etc. from there on
04-23-2006, 11:59 AM

Pretty much the whole song. This is my favorite track on the record.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Pretty much the whole song. This is my favorite track on the record.
Heroin's Avatar Heroin
04-23-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon

agreed
Old 04-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 81

Quote:

agreed
04-23-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
i agree
Old 04-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
i agree
ID-entity's Avatar ID-entity
04-23-2006, 03:57 PM

The last chorus when Maynard steps it up a notch and the following outro. Basically, the last 30 seconds of the song grabs my scrotum and squeezes.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

The last chorus when Maynard steps it up a notch and the following outro. Basically, the last 30 seconds of the song grabs my scrotum and squeezes.
Brino
04-23-2006, 05:02 PM

All after "...the universe is hostile..."

But for me I likey "Part Vampire
Part Warrior
Carnivore and
Warrior"

MMM...Tool.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Part Warrior
Carnivore and
Warrior"

MMM...Tool.
werkzeug's Avatar werkzeug
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM

We all feed on tragedy...its like blood to a vampire.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

We all feed on tragedy...its like blood to a vampire.
MaynardLD50
04-23-2006, 08:01 PM

its all about the Vicarously I, LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES, YOU ALL NEED IT TO DONT LIE.

Goose bumps
Old 04-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

its all about the Vicarously I, LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES, YOU ALL NEED IT TO DONT LIE.

Goose bumps
chalk_line's Avatar chalk_line
04-23-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardLD50

Goose bumps
goose bumps yes, and i think i peed a little
Old 04-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #12
a headstone waiting for words

Bincount™: 6093

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardLD50

Goose bumps
goose bumps yes, and i think i peed a little
stinky
06-23-2006, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium

Don't get me wrong. I totally love this song, but the "blood to a vampire" line sounds like something a teenage wannabe lyricist would write. It has always been like the imperfection on the diamond that is this song (to give an equally lame simile).
Old 06-23-2006, 04:06 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium

Don't get me wrong. I totally love this song, but the "blood to a vampire" line sounds like something a teenage wannabe lyricist would write. It has always been like the imperfection on the diamond that is this song (to give an equally lame simile).
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
06-23-2006, 04:41 AM

from about 4:09 and to the end, this songs i phenomenal. gives me a 11,11 inch rock hard boner on.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:41 AM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

from about 4:09 and to the end, this songs i phenomenal. gives me a 11,11 inch rock hard boner on.
pau
06-24-2006, 03:33 AM

most shivering bit for me is "while the mother holds her child - watches him die".

The concept blows your heart - try to get more emotive than that image..
Old 06-24-2006, 03:33 AM   #15
pau
Level 4 - Thinker

most shivering bit for me is "while the mother holds her child - watches him die".

Snakedragon
06-24-2006, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID-entity
that
Old 06-24-2006, 03:44 AM   #16

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID-entity
that
fulmination
06-24-2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau

Definitely, I agree. The first time I heard the song I knew there was both the cool tinge of staring like a zombie and the emotion and meaning striking right at his heart as he watches it. You can just *hear* it in his voice.

This song is totally energetic and tugs at both ends of the emotional spectrum. Very cool.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:05 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau

Definitely, I agree. The first time I heard the song I knew there was both the cool tinge of staring like a zombie and the emotion and meaning striking right at his heart as he watches it. You can just *hear* it in his voice.

This song is totally energetic and tugs at both ends of the emotional spectrum. Very cool.
Prometheus's Avatar Prometheus
06-24-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky
sadly, i agree.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #18
Suicide Booth ID: 19

Bincount™: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky
sadly, i agree.
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
06-24-2006, 10:41 PM

I dig the "why can't we just admit it" theme, in its variations forms. It's unlike any of the stuff they've done before, which is why I find it so fun.

The one problem I have with this song is the last note Maynard hits on "much better you than I." I've never been big on the "APC is ruining Tool" thing, but I do think that the way he ends on a subdued low note instead of a powerful high note is something that was a direct influence from APC. A few other people have noticed this, too, and it's what really keeps this song from being one of my favorites on the album.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 06-24-2006, 10:41 PM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

I dig the "why can't we just admit it" theme, in its variations forms. It's unlike any of the stuff they've done before, which is why I find it so fun.

The one problem I have with this song is the last note Maynard hits on "much better you than I." I've never been big on the "APC is ruining Tool" thing, but I do think that the way he ends on a subdued low note instead of a powerful high note is something that was a direct influence from APC. A few other people have noticed this, too, and it's what really keeps this song from being one of my favorites on the album.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
FatherMuck
07-03-2006, 11:48 PM

I love the While the mother, holds her child / Watches him die / Hands to the sky cryin, / "Why, oh why?"

And Maynard bluntly answers: "Cuz I need to watch things die."

Gotta love gallows humour.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

I love the While the mother, holds her child / Watches him die / Hands to the sky cryin, / "Why, oh why?"

And Maynard bluntly answers: "Cuz I need to watch things die."

Gotta love gallows humour.
lizbiz
07-04-2006, 11:32 AM

"The universe is hostile, so impersonal. Devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been!"

The intensity, the authority and brutal honesty of those lyrics get me every time.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #21

Bincount™: 1

"The universe is hostile, so impersonal. Devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been!"

The intensity, the authority and brutal honesty of those lyrics get me every time.
mulhollanddriven
07-04-2006, 11:44 AM

The very first drum fill after "Its no fun....til....some...one...dies..." with that snare roll that goes to the ride cymbal. That is Tool.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #22

The very first drum fill after "Its no fun....til....some...one...dies..." with that snare roll that goes to the ride cymbal. That is Tool.
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz

ditto...

chills up the spine every time
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 07-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz

ditto...

chills up the spine every time
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
pau
07-05-2006, 11:27 PM

a potentially extremely tough and broadly-applicable question, but:

music (and especially tool) has the ability to make shivers run up my spine too, and raise all the hairs on my arms, etc. However the effects of the music subside after a while, eg. i find it very difficult to get the same feelings from songs off Aenima and Laturalus as i do from the new 10K Days tunes, because i've become desensitised to them i guess.

whaddaya think is this inevitable or just a state of mind which can be overcome?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #24
pau
Level 4 - Thinker

music (and especially tool) has the ability to make shivers run up my spine too, and raise all the hairs on my arms, etc. However the effects of the music subside after a while, eg. i find it very difficult to get the same feelings from songs off Aenima and Laturalus as i do from the new 10K Days tunes, because i've become desensitised to them i guess.

whaddaya think is this inevitable or just a state of mind which can be overcome?
flyingsoot
07-06-2006, 07:01 AM

"neither nor brave nor bold, why is the story so? We wont give pause til the blood is flowing!!" aaahhh tellin it like it is tool style...
Old 07-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

"neither nor brave nor bold, why is the story so? We wont give pause til the blood is flowing!!" aaahhh tellin it like it is tool style...
flyingsoot
07-06-2006, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau

by the way, i find that i can get sick of listenin to tool sometimes, but then i take a few weeks off em and next time i listen they're like completely brand new! id put it down to the depth of their compositon, i jus lke admirin it...aaaahhh the genius.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau

by the way, i find that i can get sick of listenin to tool sometimes, but then i take a few weeks off em and next time i listen they're like completely brand new! id put it down to the depth of their compositon, i jus lke admirin it...aaaahhh the genius.
pau
07-06-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsoot
yah, moderation is necessary at least sometimes :P
Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #27
pau
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsoot
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-06-2006, 02:07 PM

My 2 year old son loves the part "Lalalalalala la la LIE!" you should hear him sing it...as soon as the song starts he starts singing that part.

One part that no one here has mentioned as far as lyrics go...and its not really a big part, but its something that has drawn my attention....
"that's my kind of story"
I've incorporated that into my speech...something about it....its my kind of story...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

My 2 year old son loves the part "Lalalalalala la la LIE!" you should hear him sing it...as soon as the song starts he starts singing that part.

One part that no one here has mentioned as far as lyrics go...and its not really a big part, but its something that has drawn my attention....
"that's my kind of story"
I've incorporated that into my speech...something about it....its my kind of story...
07-06-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau

I understand....but I still have yet to tire of the 10,000 days...every now and then I take a TOOL break but for the most part, I drive people crazy listening to tool and APC....if ever have a doubt about what to listen to, I just put in a TOOL/APC mp3 disk and hit random.....

that's my kind of music!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau

I understand....but I still have yet to tire of the 10,000 days...every now and then I take a TOOL break but for the most part, I drive people crazy listening to tool and APC....if ever have a doubt about what to listen to, I just put in a TOOL/APC mp3 disk and hit random.....

that's my kind of music!
07-06-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brino

Part Warrior
Carnivore and
Warrior"

MMM...Tool.
AGREED!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #30
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brino

Part Warrior
Carnivore and
Warrior"

MMM...Tool.
AGREED!
static's Avatar static
07-07-2006, 11:50 AM

"stare like a junkie, into the TV; stare like a ZOMBIE..."

First time I heard that...

I shit my pants.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #31
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1555

"stare like a junkie, into the TV; stare like a ZOMBIE..."

First time I heard that...

I shit my pants.
Vicari0us
07-07-2006, 01:48 PM

From the first time he says "Cause I need to watch things die" till the ending high pitched "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies, much better you than I" and finally the last heavy riffs to close the song are just awesome with full notched volume.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

From the first time he says "Cause I need to watch things die" till the ending high pitched "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies, much better you than I" and finally the last heavy riffs to close the song are just awesome with full notched volume.
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Ok, now that we've established what parts or lines we really like....let's clarify. Are we talking about MEANING or just the sheer beauty of the poetry? To me, one of the most meaningful and powerful statements is the "Devour to survive so it is, so its always been." That is so true....beautiful and overwhelming in itself...and I think is the theme of the song....one of them anyway....
Old 07-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Ok, now that we've established what parts or lines we really like....let's clarify. Are we talking about MEANING or just the sheer beauty of the poetry? To me, one of the most meaningful and powerful statements is the "Devour to survive so it is, so its always been." That is so true....beautiful and overwhelming in itself...and I think is the theme of the song....one of them anyway....
07-07-2006, 06:21 PM

i love the main riff to the song.. well i don't know if its the main riff, but it is the 2nd riff of the song after the 'ringing bells' go off and the energy picks up.. its at 0:56. to me, this riff IS tool - there is something about it that just oozes the.. uh.. toolness, for lack of a better word.

i remember when i d/led the single, as soon as i heard this riff i just said to myself in my inner george tikay voice 'ohhh myy goooddd....'
Old 07-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i love the main riff to the song.. well i don't know if its the main riff, but it is the 2nd riff of the song after the 'ringing bells' go off and the energy picks up.. its at 0:56. to me, this riff IS tool - there is something about it that just oozes the.. uh.. toolness, for lack of a better word.

i remember when i d/led the single, as soon as i heard this riff i just said to myself in my inner george tikay voice 'ohhh myy goooddd....'
Dark Globe's Avatar Dark Globe
07-07-2006, 09:47 PM

when this song leaked, i left it on repeat
Old 07-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #35
Banned.

Bincount™: 322

when this song leaked, i left it on repeat
anarcho-commie's Avatar anarcho-commie
07-09-2006, 12:11 AM

"the universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive so it is so it always been." and then after a couple of lines he screams "vicariously I, live while the whole world dies" and the song ends.

That's the sickest part.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 AM   #36

Bincount™: 63

"the universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive so it is so it always been." and then after a couple of lines he screams "vicariously I, live while the whole world dies" and the song ends.

That's the sickest part.
07-09-2006, 03:40 PM

Its ALL so sick....I can't say what's the sickest part. And yes, even now, I try to listen to something else and it just won't do. I have been listening non-stop since the leak...yes, I went and paid for it the day it came out, but who could resist the early leak>? I wouldn't have been part of the leak if I had no intention of buying the disk.
Anyway, yea, when I first heard VICARIOUS on the radio....DOOD! I was instantly empowered. I have driven anyone who spends anytime with me crazy with TOOL. So much wisdom in it. Most people just think I'm fanatical...which is true....because NO other band in the world can speak to my ever so deep subconscious like TOOL. Yes, APC was close but nothing can touch tool. I listen to the new disk at least 11 times a day....good for the soul....
Old 07-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Its ALL so sick....I can't say what's the sickest part. And yes, even now, I try to listen to something else and it just won't do. I have been listening non-stop since the leak...yes, I went and paid for it the day it came out, but who could resist the early leak>? I wouldn't have been part of the leak if I had no intention of buying the disk.
Anyway, yea, when I first heard VICARIOUS on the radio....DOOD! I was instantly empowered. I have driven anyone who spends anytime with me crazy with TOOL. So much wisdom in it. Most people just think I'm fanatical...which is true....because NO other band in the world can speak to my ever so deep subconscious like TOOL. Yes, APC was close but nothing can touch tool. I listen to the new disk at least 11 times a day....good for the soul....
07-09-2006, 06:06 PM

the hole songs pretty much "grabs me by the balls"
Old 07-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

07-09-2006, 06:11 PM

"Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle

La la la la la la la-lie"

and the first line of the last chorus repeat.

Perfect.
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=79756
Old 07-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #39
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

"Stare at the transmittal
Sing to the death rattle

La la la la la la la-lie"

and the first line of the last chorus repeat.

Perfect.
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=79756
crispy
07-11-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_I_E

Fuck yeah man. Fuck yeah
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5