Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
a_sirian_in_agony's Avatar a_sirian_in_agony
04-19-2006, 12:54 PM

ok..dudes....after listening to vicarious...my worst dream probably came true....
its an idea ive had for a while...metallicas life being the basic timeline for a band...i hoped tool wouldnt follow it.....if opiate was their kill em all....undertow, their ride the lightning, aenima, their master of puppets, their masterpiece, and then lateralus, their justic for all, their prog album, the album that would be the gate for both bands at possible musical brilliance never before seen before, but, what if 10000 days is their black album, after hearing vicarious, i just realized i expected more, it dosent sound smart to my ears and sounds somewhat commercial....like the black album....im sure ill like what i get when i listen to 10000 days in its entirety, i havent yet....i have a shitty computer and cant download it and probably wont to keep the surprise together until its realeased...but...to all that read this...share your thoughts on the matter....and keep it nice..ok....
Old 04-19-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33
tool on the metallica timeline..

ok..dudes....after listening to vicarious...my worst dream probably came true....
its an idea ive had for a while...metallicas life being the basic timeline for a band...i hoped tool wouldnt follow it.....if opiate was their kill em all....undertow, their ride the lightning, aenima, their master of puppets, their masterpiece, and then lateralus, their justic for all, their prog album, the album that would be the gate for both bands at possible musical brilliance never before seen before, but, what if 10000 days is their black album, after hearing vicarious, i just realized i expected more, it dosent sound smart to my ears and sounds somewhat commercial....like the black album....im sure ill like what i get when i listen to 10000 days in its entirety, i havent yet....i have a shitty computer and cant download it and probably wont to keep the surprise together until its realeased...but...to all that read this...share your thoughts on the matter....and keep it nice..ok....
04-19-2006, 12:58 PM

10k is less commercial than aenima..
Old 04-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 51
Re: tool on the metallica timeline..

OFFLINE |  
Vegama
04-19-2006, 12:58 PM

Vicarious is nothing like the rest of the album you newb. Vicarious is good too though.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Vicarious is nothing like the rest of the album you newb. Vicarious is good too though.
OFFLINE |  
pacifister's Avatar pacifister
04-19-2006, 01:01 PM

I disagree. How is And Justice progressive? and how is Aenima not progressive?
I personally think Lateralus is more of a masterpiece (better drums, better guitar, better vocals)

According to Kabir's review with the subdued vocals and the line "But I do think that while you will definitely fall in love with it, it will take many people a little while to really get there." 10,000 Days seems like it'll be a throwback to Undertow. (The Black Album was nothing like Ride the Lightning.

...and you can't expect everyone here to "keep it nice"
"Painting a picture, composing an opera, that's just something you do until you find the next willing piece of ass. The minute something better than sex comes along, you call me. Have me paged. For sure, even the worst blow job is better than say, sniffing the best rose...watching the greatest sunset. Hearing children laugh."
-Chuck P, Choke
Old 04-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

I disagree. How is And Justice progressive? and how is Aenima not progressive?
I personally think Lateralus is more of a masterpiece (better drums, better guitar, better vocals)

According to Kabir's review with the subdued vocals and the line "But I do think that while you will definitely fall in love with it, it will take many people a little while to really get there." 10,000 Days seems like it'll be a throwback to Undertow. (The Black Album was nothing like Ride the Lightning.

...and you can't expect everyone here to "keep it nice"
"Painting a picture, composing an opera, that's just something you do until you find the next willing piece of ass. The minute something better than sex comes along, you call me. Have me paged. For sure, even the worst blow job is better than say, sniffing the best rose...watching the greatest sunset. Hearing children laugh."
-Chuck P, Choke
OFFLINE |  
maneva
04-19-2006, 01:02 PM

the album is ridiculously far from being commercial. i was also disappointed with vicarious, but the album has blown me away, though it was not what i was expecting. it seems like a love it or hate album so far, but if you're into more diverse and experimental music, you should fall in love with this.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 4

the album is ridiculously far from being commercial. i was also disappointed with vicarious, but the album has blown me away, though it was not what i was expecting. it seems like a love it or hate album so far, but if you're into more diverse and experimental music, you should fall in love with this.
OFFLINE |  
blair's man sausage's Avatar blair's man sausage
04-19-2006, 01:04 PM

i'm tired of the metallica v. tool comparisons...it makes me cringe...metallica is such pure shit now i can hardly stand to listen to their old music....tool is way beyond them on the evolutionary scale
Old 04-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

i'm tired of the metallica v. tool comparisons...it makes me cringe...metallica is such pure shit now i can hardly stand to listen to their old music....tool is way beyond them on the evolutionary scale
04-19-2006, 01:06 PM

10,000 Days is more like ST.ANGER!!! They just skipped a few parts. Haha.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 3773

10,000 Days is more like ST.ANGER!!! They just skipped a few parts. Haha.
04-19-2006, 01:11 PM

interesting hypothesis

id have it like this

opiate - kill em all
undertow - justice
aenima - black album
lateralus - load/reload
10,000 days - lighting/puppets
Old 04-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

interesting hypothesis

id have it like this

opiate - kill em all
undertow - justice
aenima - black album
lateralus - load/reload
10,000 days - lighting/puppets
rakeshuva
04-19-2006, 01:18 PM

the issue of "commercial" sounding music is often blown out of proportion. sometimes bands forge the way for musical change such that their music becomes what is considered "commercial". i'd say this is what happened with metallica's black album. at the time we were coming off the heals of horrible hair bands and some good rock bands that were called metal (GNR). when the album came out and the music was played on the radio, people said they sold out. but i really don't think that sound was on the radio prior to the album.

and to the extent that radio plays tool music, everyone goes crazy that they sold out. what if radio, at least for that moment, is improving rather than playing typical "radio" music? you think schism is a radio song? i don't think there's anything like it. and don't tell me "earshot" even compares to tool. their vocals may sound similar at times, but the music is so dry and boring compared to tool's complexities.

maybe tool's albums fit on a metallica timeline, but kinda mixed up. aenema is much more like justice: good music, not great production. justice had no bass, and aenema just sounds muddy at times. lateralus is more like a combination of master and the black album, just epic pieces, a redefinition in sound and excellent production.

who knows, maybe 10K days will become metallica's "Load" -- considered metallica's "blues" album, shunned by so-called "hardcore" fans that are unwilling to consider that bands change. i always thought load has some great music on it despite the fanbase's opinions, so maybe i'll feel the same about 10kdays.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

the issue of "commercial" sounding music is often blown out of proportion. sometimes bands forge the way for musical change such that their music becomes what is considered "commercial". i'd say this is what happened with metallica's black album. at the time we were coming off the heals of horrible hair bands and some good rock bands that were called metal (GNR). when the album came out and the music was played on the radio, people said they sold out. but i really don't think that sound was on the radio prior to the album.

and to the extent that radio plays tool music, everyone goes crazy that they sold out. what if radio, at least for that moment, is improving rather than playing typical "radio" music? you think schism is a radio song? i don't think there's anything like it. and don't tell me "earshot" even compares to tool. their vocals may sound similar at times, but the music is so dry and boring compared to tool's complexities.

maybe tool's albums fit on a metallica timeline, but kinda mixed up. aenema is much more like justice: good music, not great production. justice had no bass, and aenema just sounds muddy at times. lateralus is more like a combination of master and the black album, just epic pieces, a redefinition in sound and excellent production.

who knows, maybe 10K days will become metallica's "Load" -- considered metallica's "blues" album, shunned by so-called "hardcore" fans that are unwilling to consider that bands change. i always thought load has some great music on it despite the fanbase's opinions, so maybe i'll feel the same about 10kdays.
04-19-2006, 01:19 PM

who gives a shit if it's more accessible. fuck.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
On Probation

Bincount™: 51

who gives a shit if it's more accessible. fuck.
OFFLINE |  
praefector's Avatar praefector
04-19-2006, 01:20 PM

i really dont see how anyone could find this album more accessable than undertow or aenima
Old 04-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #11

i really dont see how anyone could find this album more accessable than undertow or aenima
zac's Avatar zac
04-19-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegama
I like that you called him a newb and I hope you were joking.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
zac
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
bullet proof
04-19-2006, 01:56 PM

What if this is their St. Anger?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

What if this is their St. Anger?
04-19-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac
i laughed when he called me a newb...people are funny sometimes.....
Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac
i laughed when he called me a newb...people are funny sometimes.....
04-19-2006, 02:06 PM

this is probably the least accessible album they have released, imo
Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #15
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

this is probably the least accessible album they have released, imo
04-19-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
It's funny that you call him a noob. Like it has anything to do with his opinion anyways. I've been listening to Tool since '98 and just joined the forums, does that make my opinion less worthy. DF.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #16

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
It's funny that you call him a noob. Like it has anything to do with his opinion anyways. I've been listening to Tool since '98 and just joined the forums, does that make my opinion less worthy. DF.
04-19-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xariable
I'm using newb as a aimless insult, I use it all the time because it makes people point things out that won't stop me from calling them newbs, newb.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xariable
I'm using newb as a aimless insult, I use it all the time because it makes people point things out that won't stop me from calling them newbs, newb.
OFFLINE |  
Xariable's Avatar Xariable
04-19-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
You're right. Aimless. Might I add pointless, empty, waste of breath, . . .
Old 04-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #18

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
You're right. Aimless. Might I add pointless, empty, waste of breath, . . .
04-19-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
does it make you happy inside..?
does insulting people make up for something in your life?
do you need to make others feel bad to make yourself feel good?
i hate assholes...
Old 04-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
does it make you happy inside..?
does insulting people make up for something in your life?
do you need to make others feel bad to make yourself feel good?
i hate assholes...
04-19-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_sirian_in_agony

The ellipses is a terrible thing to abuse.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #20

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_sirian_in_agony

OFFLINE |  
Wretched's Avatar Wretched
04-19-2006, 02:19 PM

Lies
Old 04-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #21
Banned.

Bincount™: 3710

Lies
OFFLINE |  
toology514's Avatar toology514
04-19-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon
srsly
Old 04-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon
srsly
OFFLINE |  
toology514's Avatar toology514
04-19-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonch
...hahah...
Old 04-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 59

Quote:
...hahah...
OFFLINE |  
Opiate Son's Avatar Opiate Son
04-19-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshuva

well put, everytime i hear some retard compare Earshot to Tool it makes me cringe, that's like comparing swimming in a kiddie pool to swimming in the ocean!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshuva

well put, everytime i hear some retard compare Earshot to Tool it makes me cringe, that's like comparing swimming in a kiddie pool to swimming in the ocean!
04-19-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
the comma splices made me ill
Old 04-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #25

Quote:
a_sirian_in_agony's Avatar a_sirian_in_agony
04-19-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toology514
srsly
thats good to know..
Old 04-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by toology514
srsly
thats good to know..
04-19-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
hahaha....dudes...its someting i do...its fucked...thanks for making me smile the first time basically all day...
Old 04-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
hahaha....dudes...its someting i do...its fucked...thanks for making me smile the first time basically all day...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply