Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
JeffSnow
04-25-2006, 11:43 PM

Alot of people assumed this was going to support 5.1 surround sound. Now that the album has been shipped around, has anyone found the answer to this?

I am sorry if this has already been discussed.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 2
Question, 5.1?

Alot of people assumed this was going to support 5.1 surround sound. Now that the album has been shipped around, has anyone found the answer to this?

I am sorry if this has already been discussed.
OFFLINE |  
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-25-2006, 11:45 PM

No, actually it hasnt been answered yet. Someone asked it, but I guess the guy who "owns" the album went to sleep, or went to listen to it. I really would like to know the answer as well. (Being produced by SONY, I would imagine that it does support it... but thats generalization at its best.)
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Old 04-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
Re: Question, 5.1?

No, actually it hasnt been answered yet. Someone asked it, but I guess the guy who "owns" the album went to sleep, or went to listen to it. I really would like to know the answer as well. (Being produced by SONY, I would imagine that it does support it... but thats generalization at its best.)
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
OFFLINE |  
chalimar's Avatar chalimar
04-26-2006, 02:05 AM

It's a CD. 700 megabytes. 76 minutes of 5.1 surround sound don't fit on a CD.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. 5.1 versions of albums are usually shipped as DVDs.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:05 AM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. 5.1 versions of albums are usually shipped as DVDs.
OFFLINE |  
mcmurray
04-26-2006, 02:32 AM

Shit it is a sony album. That means that even if we do get a dualdisc, the stereo layer will be cd quality - no better, and the 5.1 will be dolby digital only. This fucking sucks. Sony should release HIGH RESOLUTION audio in the form of DVD-Audio on dualdiscs just like the rest of the world does.

That said - an SACD is possible, being sony. Also the blu ray format is out soon which may have a high res audio only spec and sony might re-release albums in this format.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:32 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Shit it is a sony album. That means that even if we do get a dualdisc, the stereo layer will be cd quality - no better, and the 5.1 will be dolby digital only. This fucking sucks. Sony should release HIGH RESOLUTION audio in the form of DVD-Audio on dualdiscs just like the rest of the world does.

That said - an SACD is possible, being sony. Also the blu ray format is out soon which may have a high res audio only spec and sony might re-release albums in this format.
OFFLINE |  
unfnknblvbl's Avatar unfnknblvbl
04-26-2006, 04:14 AM

man, I'd love to hear Wings in SACD quality sound... pity I don't have ab SACD-capable player :(
Old 04-26-2006, 04:14 AM   #5

man, I'd love to hear Wings in SACD quality sound... pity I don't have ab SACD-capable player :(
OFFLINE |  
influenza's Avatar influenza
04-26-2006, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalimar

True
Old 04-26-2006, 04:37 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:

True
04-26-2006, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmurray

The first thing I thought when I heard that Sony bought BMG was "Fuck, I guess we'll never get Tool on DVD-Audio now". I'm still holding onto a sliver of hope that they'll be able to use a different label to release some or all of their albums as DVD-A's.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmurray

The first thing I thought when I heard that Sony bought BMG was "Fuck, I guess we'll never get Tool on DVD-Audio now". I'm still holding onto a sliver of hope that they'll be able to use a different label to release some or all of their albums as DVD-A's.
OFFLINE |  
Kurt Russell's Avatar Kurt Russell
04-26-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:

lateralus was 78 minutes of 5.1
Old 04-26-2006, 05:42 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 702

Quote:

OFFLINE |  
randomhero8823's Avatar randomhero8823
04-26-2006, 05:45 AM

my cd player in my car has text enabled songs (shows the album name and song titles on my display of my cd player), the only ones i see doing it are sony albums (SOAD, AIC) so do you think this one might? any body have any idea what im talking about?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657

my cd player in my car has text enabled songs (shows the album name and song titles on my display of my cd player), the only ones i see doing it are sony albums (SOAD, AIC) so do you think this one might? any body have any idea what im talking about?
mutualusing
04-26-2006, 06:11 AM

got my copies today from work.

no SACD, no bonus DVD.

but you do get the best Tool album. and 3 dimensional band-member imagery.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

got my copies today from work.

no SACD, no bonus DVD.

but you do get the best Tool album. and 3 dimensional band-member imagery.
OFFLINE |  
chalimar's Avatar chalimar
04-26-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate messina
lateralus was released on hdcd.

hdcd uses a resolution of 20 bits instead of 16 to encode the audio information. this does not mean that hdcds have 5.1 sound.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:18 AM   #11

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
lateralus was released on hdcd.

hdcd uses a resolution of 20 bits instead of 16 to encode the audio information. this does not mean that hdcds have 5.1 sound.
OFFLINE |  
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
04-26-2006, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Lateralus isn't in 5.1...
Old 04-26-2006, 06:22 AM   #12
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Quote:
Lateralus isn't in 5.1...
vilemerchant
04-26-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Here we have a prime example of yet another retard that plays STEREO music thru a 5.1 'surround' speaker setup. Hang your head in shame!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Here we have a prime example of yet another retard that plays STEREO music thru a 5.1 'surround' speaker setup. Hang your head in shame!
OFFLINE |  
TheEulogyOfMe's Avatar TheEulogyOfMe
04-26-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero8823

Yeah I know what you're talking about. Perhaps? Probably not though, since the Technology was there for Lateralus and they didn't do it then...
Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #14

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero8823

Yeah I know what you're talking about. Perhaps? Probably not though, since the Technology was there for Lateralus and they didn't do it then...
04-26-2006, 07:21 AM

HDCD comes through on all CD players, correct?
"a mass of gallon sloth, as flys have walls for feet, a rapturous-verbatim-someone said but who's to know, and when you find the fringe, the one last hit that spent you, you'll find the ossuary is spilling by the day"
Old 04-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

HDCD comes through on all CD players, correct?
"a mass of gallon sloth, as flys have walls for feet, a rapturous-verbatim-someone said but who's to know, and when you find the fringe, the one last hit that spent you, you'll find the ossuary is spilling by the day"
OFFLINE |  
Dross
04-26-2006, 08:15 AM

Well Withateetha was released in a dual cd format w/ 5.1. we can only hope the same.

And I enjoyed Withateetha!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #16

Bincount™: 6

Well Withateetha was released in a dual cd format w/ 5.1. we can only hope the same.

And I enjoyed Withateetha!
OFFLINE |  
someguy69
04-26-2006, 08:29 AM

stop calling [with teeth] withateetha, its fucking gay. with teeth. thats the album, no prissy ***got a's in there.

and there is a special edition coming out in a few weeks after the release in a special slip like lateralus came with... hopefully that might contain something more cos its more expensive then the plain cd, i pre ordered both here in aus already
Old 04-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

stop calling [with teeth] withateetha, its fucking gay. with teeth. thats the album, no prissy ***got a's in there.

and there is a special edition coming out in a few weeks after the release in a special slip like lateralus came with... hopefully that might contain something more cos its more expensive then the plain cd, i pre ordered both here in aus already
OFFLINE |  
Snakedragon
04-26-2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:

i dont recall lateralus being in 5.1
Old 04-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:

i dont recall lateralus being in 5.1
OFFLINE |  
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-26-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy69

where'd you hear about this? i didnt see it on the website?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

OFFLINE |  
someguy69
04-26-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFck
the guy at my cd shop told me about it, he said he was getting a few from his supplier, he didnt know when they were arriving (but he did say he thought maybe a short time after the normal release), but he said there was definitely a special edition coming out and it was more expensive then the normal 10,000 days cd, so i preordered that along with the normal cd that comes out on the first day.... im hoping for a live dvd with it, or another bonus cd or something... that would rule. then i asked if i could get the album early, and he said no, cos tool are being absolute losers with all the legal crap they'd have put on you for selling it a day early or anything...

Last edited by someguy69; 04-26-2006 at 08:56 AM..
Old 04-26-2006, 08:53 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFck
the guy at my cd shop told me about it, he said he was getting a few from his supplier, he didnt know when they were arriving (but he did say he thought maybe a short time after the normal release), but he said there was definitely a special edition coming out and it was more expensive then the normal 10,000 days cd, so i preordered that along with the normal cd that comes out on the first day.... im hoping for a live dvd with it, or another bonus cd or something... that would rule. then i asked if i could get the album early, and he said no, cos tool are being absolute losers with all the legal crap they'd have put on you for selling it a day early or anything...

Last edited by someguy69; 04-26-2006 at 08:56 AM..
OFFLINE |  
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-26-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:

:) you meant With Teeth, right? Man, that sounds awesome. Or did you mean 10000 Days. Thats strange, I hadn't heard of either yet..
Old 04-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

:) you meant With Teeth, right? Man, that sounds awesome. Or did you mean 10000 Days. Thats strange, I hadn't heard of either yet..
OFFLINE |  
Natalie Portman's Avatar Natalie Portman
04-26-2006, 11:17 AM

It's not in 5.1, I promise. But, hopefully later they will release a SACD or DVD-Audio, that would be great.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 34

It's not in 5.1, I promise. But, hopefully later they will release a SACD or DVD-Audio, that would be great.
OFFLINE |  
hypercooljake
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilemerchant
Dolby Pro Logic II does a hell of a good job giving stereo audio a surround like sound to it if you have your system setup decently.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilemerchant
Dolby Pro Logic II does a hell of a good job giving stereo audio a surround like sound to it if you have your system setup decently.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply