Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
2and46's Avatar 2and46
07-22-2006, 05:46 AM

Its possible to love TOOL but not like this album. Granted, I love this album, but don't waste my energy on those who don't. The only thing that "fucker" said that bothered me was that he couldn't stand 4 minute intros anymore. Huh? How can anyone love TOOL and not like long songs?
Old 07-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #41
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746
Re: Do You Agree...

Its possible to love TOOL but not like this album. Granted, I love this album, but don't waste my energy on those who don't. The only thing that "fucker" said that bothered me was that he couldn't stand 4 minute intros anymore. Huh? How can anyone love TOOL and not like long songs?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
mosquitokillah's Avatar mosquitokillah
07-22-2006, 07:33 AM

Exactly. The longer, the better;
and although this album was very hard for me to check, finally I got into it and I adore it.
It's also very hard for me to understand, how somebody can't like 10.000 days. It's a typical Tool-album, maybe a bit more quiet than AEnima and not so complicated than Lateralus, but... at least, it's Tool!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:33 AM   #42
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Exactly. The longer, the better;
and although this album was very hard for me to check, finally I got into it and I adore it.
It's also very hard for me to understand, how somebody can't like 10.000 days. It's a typical Tool-album, maybe a bit more quiet than AEnima and not so complicated than Lateralus, but... at least, it's Tool!
Stinkfyst's Avatar Stinkfyst
07-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
I like the album to a point, It's just that the production quality blows and the music is muddy and sloppy. Not up to Tool's standards by a long shot
I pretty much agree. I like the message of the songs, and the album is great. But it doesn't hit me like Anema and Lateralus did. However I thought the production quality was excelent.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:29 AM   #43
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
I like the album to a point, It's just that the production quality blows and the music is muddy and sloppy. Not up to Tool's standards by a long shot
I pretty much agree. I like the message of the songs, and the album is great. But it doesn't hit me like Anema and Lateralus did. However I thought the production quality was excelent.
07-22-2006, 10:51 AM

I'm SURROUNDED by my friends and fellow "TOOL fans" who don't get it.... only I do..... =P
Old 07-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

I'm SURROUNDED by my friends and fellow "TOOL fans" who don't get it.... only I do..... =P
07-23-2006, 10:07 PM

Just looking for my avatar...
Old 07-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #45
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 791

Just looking for my avatar...
07-24-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady
...those who say they "don't like" the album, just don't "get" TOOL?
I can understand if you prefer past albums, but isn't it impossible to "dislike" a song/album?

I went in a liquor store yesterday wearing my new 10K shirt. This kid stops in his tracks staring at me. Finally he speaks and says "Awesome shirt! Do you like the album?" I explained how it didn't leave my cd player for almost a month when it came out. (I was actually listening to it as I pulled up too)

He shocked me by saying that he didn't like it and things like, "there's no memorable riffs..." and "I can't listen to 4 mins of intro anymore."

I really thought "Should I hit him?" After a few minutes of his absurd reasonings for it not being as good as Opiate, I told him he was clearly an idiot.

Of course he then told me I should check out his band. (i've been in a couple bands for nearly 10 yrs, so...) I wasn't trying to hear that and left.

I've been puzzled by this fucker since, and then it dawned on me. Even if someone is a TOOL fan and think they're die hard, it is possible for them not to really "get" it.

If you guys agree, I won't go back and lay into him today.

later.

Dude! Just fucking hit him! You disagree with him, he disagrees with you, so fight! Fuck, if only people would wake up to this logic, the world would be so much better off....
Old 07-24-2006, 02:46 AM   #46
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady
...those who say they "don't like" the album, just don't "get" TOOL?
I can understand if you prefer past albums, but isn't it impossible to "dislike" a song/album?

I went in a liquor store yesterday wearing my new 10K shirt. This kid stops in his tracks staring at me. Finally he speaks and says "Awesome shirt! Do you like the album?" I explained how it didn't leave my cd player for almost a month when it came out. (I was actually listening to it as I pulled up too)

He shocked me by saying that he didn't like it and things like, "there's no memorable riffs..." and "I can't listen to 4 mins of intro anymore."

I really thought "Should I hit him?" After a few minutes of his absurd reasonings for it not being as good as Opiate, I told him he was clearly an idiot.

Of course he then told me I should check out his band. (i've been in a couple bands for nearly 10 yrs, so...) I wasn't trying to hear that and left.

I've been puzzled by this fucker since, and then it dawned on me. Even if someone is a TOOL fan and think they're die hard, it is possible for them not to really "get" it.

If you guys agree, I won't go back and lay into him today.

later.

Dude! Just fucking hit him! You disagree with him, he disagrees with you, so fight! Fuck, if only people would wake up to this logic, the world would be so much better off....
grady's Avatar grady
07-24-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Thank you. I didn't have a chance to stress that cuz everyone came out flaming. But that is what confused me the most. If you want a song to start and finish b4 you get to the store, tool is prob not 4 u. (but i def recommended "the pot") I don't care if he doesnt agree how sick the album is.

later

grady
Old 07-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #47
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Thank you. I didn't have a chance to stress that cuz everyone came out flaming. But that is what confused me the most. If you want a song to start and finish b4 you get to the store, tool is prob not 4 u. (but i def recommended "the pot") I don't care if he doesnt agree how sick the album is.

later

grady
Randall's Avatar Randall
07-25-2006, 01:06 AM

10,000 days is a complicated album and some tool fans cant over come that or will just look back on the past albums because they have more of a taste in them. This topic is kind of on the rocks because everyone has different "tastes" in music, i mean look at the rap genre, i guess thats doing well maybe we should live in the "hood" and get "shot" you can always write about that.

And No you shouldn't hit the kid but verbally abuse him.
Violence only leads to more violence then Jail time

Then again you can always pray and see what god comes up with but dont expect an answer soon.

And im not "hating" i mostly agree with you but honestly the kid to me seems like a dumbass............
Old 07-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

10,000 days is a complicated album and some tool fans cant over come that or will just look back on the past albums because they have more of a taste in them. This topic is kind of on the rocks because everyone has different "tastes" in music, i mean look at the rap genre, i guess thats doing well maybe we should live in the "hood" and get "shot" you can always write about that.

And No you shouldn't hit the kid but verbally abuse him.
Violence only leads to more violence then Jail time

Then again you can always pray and see what god comes up with but dont expect an answer soon.

And im not "hating" i mostly agree with you but honestly the kid to me seems like a dumbass............
Radius's Avatar Radius
07-25-2006, 08:40 AM

God you guys are mostly a bunch of bitchy egomaniacal turdsmears. EVERYTHING that ANYONE says is IMMEDIATELY and THOROUGHLY torn to shreds. No one can express anything without an entire posse ganging up on them and showing how "stupid" thry are for not being 8000% objective in every single thing they say....will you annoying little gnats get over yourselves already? This whole board is brought down severely by the heavy weight of all you bastards CONSTANTLY flaming, tearing down, making fun, stabbing at weaknesses, etc....it makes this place suck.
On a related note, 10KD is, infact a masterpiece. It was created by a group of four of the most talented and passionate life-long musicians in the world. Of course such a thing is BOUND to be a masterpiece. It is however, a masterpiece on a subtle plane, one that may easily be missed by the uninitiated, the uninformed, or the immature. This is an album of Emotion, Subtlety, and Intensity....that is their evolution.
Of course there are going to be people who don't see that, or don't *want* to see it.
It is easy to tear someone apart for making such a blanket statement as "they just don't get it", but the fact is, most intelligent and musically aware people who would genuinely call themselves Tool fans, and have felt the deep and intense way that Tool can effect the psyche, should by all means be able to have the emotional depth and perspective to the the absolute beauty and quiet genius of 10KD. If you're just looking for "memorable riffs" etc, there are 1000 other bands that could fulfill this need, and do on a regular basis. Tool simply isn't about that, so for a "Tool Fan" to say that the new album sucks.....hmm....is truly hard to comprehend.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

God you guys are mostly a bunch of bitchy egomaniacal turdsmears. EVERYTHING that ANYONE says is IMMEDIATELY and THOROUGHLY torn to shreds. No one can express anything without an entire posse ganging up on them and showing how "stupid" thry are for not being 8000% objective in every single thing they say....will you annoying little gnats get over yourselves already? This whole board is brought down severely by the heavy weight of all you bastards CONSTANTLY flaming, tearing down, making fun, stabbing at weaknesses, etc....it makes this place suck.
On a related note, 10KD is, infact a masterpiece. It was created by a group of four of the most talented and passionate life-long musicians in the world. Of course such a thing is BOUND to be a masterpiece. It is however, a masterpiece on a subtle plane, one that may easily be missed by the uninitiated, the uninformed, or the immature. This is an album of Emotion, Subtlety, and Intensity....that is their evolution.
Of course there are going to be people who don't see that, or don't *want* to see it.
It is easy to tear someone apart for making such a blanket statement as "they just don't get it", but the fact is, most intelligent and musically aware people who would genuinely call themselves Tool fans, and have felt the deep and intense way that Tool can effect the psyche, should by all means be able to have the emotional depth and perspective to the the absolute beauty and quiet genius of 10KD. If you're just looking for "memorable riffs" etc, there are 1000 other bands that could fulfill this need, and do on a regular basis. Tool simply isn't about that, so for a "Tool Fan" to say that the new album sucks.....hmm....is truly hard to comprehend.
07-25-2006, 08:58 AM

I think they're starting to get it! I agree completely. When people waste the time to write...."You were gonna hit him!? Oh my god! You shouldn't hit him!"

Ummm. I wasnt really gonna hit him. Jokes are funny. I get jokes.

grady
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #50
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think they're starting to get it! I agree completely. When people waste the time to write...."You were gonna hit him!? Oh my god! You shouldn't hit him!"

Ummm. I wasnt really gonna hit him. Jokes are funny. I get jokes.

grady
HARDTOOL
07-27-2006, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radius
I agree:
Simplify it even more and look at the facts. This can apply to anyone that falls into this category of past Tool fan hating this album, and hence goes to the point of this thread I beleive.
This kid likes previous Tool albums/songs but doesn't like 10 K Days? How can't he? Strictly musically speaking, this album really has something for eveyone doesn't it? If you like rock, how can you truly hate this album? This album kicks some ass whether or not it's Tool.

Last edited by HARDTOOL; 07-28-2006 at 03:12 AM..
Old 07-27-2006, 06:00 AM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I agree:
Simplify it even more and look at the facts. This can apply to anyone that falls into this category of past Tool fan hating this album, and hence goes to the point of this thread I beleive.
This kid likes previous Tool albums/songs but doesn't like 10 K Days? How can't he? Strictly musically speaking, this album really has something for eveyone doesn't it? If you like rock, how can you truly hate this album? This album kicks some ass whether or not it's Tool.

Last edited by HARDTOOL; 07-28-2006 at 03:12 AM..
Randall's Avatar Randall
07-27-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks for stealing pic, i appreciate it.......
Old 07-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #52
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Thanks for stealing pic, i appreciate it.......
Radius's Avatar Radius
08-04-2006, 08:33 AM

Ummm.....I didn't steal this pic from you. That sucks that they're the same though....hmmm....if you look, mine has parts of the pic that aren't even in yours, so I couldn't have gotten it from you. However, since you've been here ONE MONTH longer than I....I suppose I'll change it.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

Ummm.....I didn't steal this pic from you. That sucks that they're the same though....hmmm....if you look, mine has parts of the pic that aren't even in yours, so I couldn't have gotten it from you. However, since you've been here ONE MONTH longer than I....I suppose I'll change it.
08-04-2006, 08:47 AM

i don't think it's possible for someone to "get" or "not get" music per se. I don't think the members in TOOL think of it that way either.

HOWEVER, I do think that a majority of the people who dislike 10K are not musicians themselves. It seems to me that people who don't appreciate music for its originality have a harder time grasping anything that doesn't sound specifically "catchy" or where the lyrics don't immediately jump out to them as being "deep."

10K is a perfect example. I didn't realize some of the things going on until I saw them play in Philly this summer. I play drums and there were still things I didnt catch until the live show. Now imagine if someone doesnt have any musical background and they here Rosetta Stoned or something. Chances are good that they won't like it because the lyrics are hard to understand, the material seems "stupid" and the music isn't readily analyzed.

Same goes for a band like The Mars Volta. Talk about musicianship, but talk about a band that people tend to despise the first time listening to them.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #54
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

i don't think it's possible for someone to "get" or "not get" music per se. I don't think the members in TOOL think of it that way either.

HOWEVER, I do think that a majority of the people who dislike 10K are not musicians themselves. It seems to me that people who don't appreciate music for its originality have a harder time grasping anything that doesn't sound specifically "catchy" or where the lyrics don't immediately jump out to them as being "deep."

10K is a perfect example. I didn't realize some of the things going on until I saw them play in Philly this summer. I play drums and there were still things I didnt catch until the live show. Now imagine if someone doesnt have any musical background and they here Rosetta Stoned or something. Chances are good that they won't like it because the lyrics are hard to understand, the material seems "stupid" and the music isn't readily analyzed.

Same goes for a band like The Mars Volta. Talk about musicianship, but talk about a band that people tend to despise the first time listening to them.
08-04-2006, 09:18 AM

After reading the last 20 posts or so, I got 2 comments:

It's peculiar how the lovers of the new album are still looking for solid reasons to love the new album, and present those reasons to the dissers... maybe they feel that deep down inside, they're right. They get it. *lol* I just can't picture some aerosmith fans trying to convince some aerosmith dissers that they don't get it...

And, for the other comment:

Not liking 10kd for not having "memorable riffs" is like not liking the latest Mercedes Benz because it's yellow. It's stu-pid!

You can go ahead and change Mercedes for your favourite brand automobile, and yellow for the colour you hate the most... make the analogy work for you.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #55
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

It's peculiar how the lovers of the new album are still looking for solid reasons to love the new album, and present those reasons to the dissers... maybe they feel that deep down inside, they're right. They get it. *lol* I just can't picture some aerosmith fans trying to convince some aerosmith dissers that they don't get it...

Not liking 10kd for not having "memorable riffs" is like not liking the latest Mercedes Benz because it's yellow. It's stu-pid!

You can go ahead and change Mercedes for your favourite brand automobile, and yellow for the colour you hate the most... make the analogy work for you.

Cheers
2and46's Avatar 2and46
08-06-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota

Cheers
Its been 3 months since it came out, so if someone doesn't like the album by now they never will. And that's fine with me. I like 10,000 days, but don't feel the need to explain myself.

Last edited by 2and46; 08-06-2006 at 05:04 PM..
Old 08-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #56
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota

Cheers
Its been 3 months since it came out, so if someone doesn't like the album by now they never will. And that's fine with me. I like 10,000 days, but don't feel the need to explain myself.

Last edited by 2and46; 08-06-2006 at 05:04 PM..
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
08-06-2006, 04:13 PM

This thread started out good, mocking people that bitch about 10,000 Days, as I totally adore the album. But then again, you kinda were a bit too harsh. I see what people dislike about 10,000 Days. And then, in this thread there were some incredible asshole answers from people that just let their anger out and this other stuff that isn't called anger, but "flaming" which gives them a wood.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #57
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

This thread started out good, mocking people that bitch about 10,000 Days, as I totally adore the album. But then again, you kinda were a bit too harsh. I see what people dislike about 10,000 Days. And then, in this thread there were some incredible asshole answers from people that just let their anger out and this other stuff that isn't called anger, but "flaming" which gives them a wood.
inSin's Avatar inSin
08-06-2006, 05:01 PM

i love 10,000 Days as an album but with most of the songs i have to fast foward through it.. i really only like certain parts of the songs on 10kdays.. i dont know why.. but i could listen to Ænema and Lateralus all the way through and not be bored at all.. i am still trying to get into it.. iv'e listened to it alot since i got it on may 2nd.. ah.. i dunno.. i have ADHD i guess.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #58
Level 7 - Loquacious

i love 10,000 Days as an album but with most of the songs i have to fast foward through it.. i really only like certain parts of the songs on 10kdays.. i dont know why.. but i could listen to Ænema and Lateralus all the way through and not be bored at all.. i am still trying to get into it.. iv'e listened to it alot since i got it on may 2nd.. ah.. i dunno.. i have ADHD i guess.
Koan's Avatar Koan
08-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic Sickness
with every tool album, certain people become bigger fans, and certain people fall out of love with the music. Every album has been a pretty big departure from the one previous.. it's completely reasonable that someone could love tool up until 10kdays, and dislike the album, but still be a huge fan of the band and the music. Don't get started on this "true fan" shit. It's just rock music... albeit, really fucking good rock music.
Said it all.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
Old 08-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #59
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic Sickness
with every tool album, certain people become bigger fans, and certain people fall out of love with the music. Every album has been a pretty big departure from the one previous.. it's completely reasonable that someone could love tool up until 10kdays, and dislike the album, but still be a huge fan of the band and the music. Don't get started on this "true fan" shit. It's just rock music... albeit, really fucking good rock music.
Said it all.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
guitarpete987
08-06-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSin
I honestly have a hard time listening to Ænema and Lateralus all the way through these days. I know the albums way too well that I kinda get bored. I love each and every song individually but I'm too familiar with them.

As of right now I can only listen all the way through to 10,000 Days because there are so many interesting things happening (it's so deep, especially Rosetta) and Opiate, cause everything on it is catchy as hell and it's short.

But I would never think less of anyone who doesn't like 10,000 Days. I have a hard time comprehinding why they don't, but it's their loss and that's that. I think it's brilliant. I do think that being a musician helps though, cause there is some crazy stuff going on everywhere. These guys truly are geniuses, all of them. It's in the stubtlety as much as it is in the virtuosity.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #60
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSin
I honestly have a hard time listening to Ænema and Lateralus all the way through these days. I know the albums way too well that I kinda get bored. I love each and every song individually but I'm too familiar with them.

As of right now I can only listen all the way through to 10,000 Days because there are so many interesting things happening (it's so deep, especially Rosetta) and Opiate, cause everything on it is catchy as hell and it's short.

But I would never think less of anyone who doesn't like 10,000 Days. I have a hard time comprehinding why they don't, but it's their loss and that's that. I think it's brilliant. I do think that being a musician helps though, cause there is some crazy stuff going on everywhere. These guys truly are geniuses, all of them. It's in the stubtlety as much as it is in the virtuosity.
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
08-07-2006, 03:09 AM

I think the main problem people have with Tool, is that Tool put so little effort into their music, that if you're not a bit of a meathead you just crave something with more thought put into it.

ps; Tool songs are not long. Tony Conrad songs are long. There's a difference.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:09 AM   #61
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716

I think the main problem people have with Tool, is that Tool put so little effort into their music, that if you're not a bit of a meathead you just crave something with more thought put into it.

Terry21's Avatar Terry21
08-07-2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope

Compared to Britney, Tool songs are long. Compared to my song, Conrad is a mouse! ;)
Old 08-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #62
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Quote:

Compared to Britney, Tool songs are long. Compared to my song, Conrad is a mouse! ;)
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
08-07-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:

I think the main problem with people who have this problem with Tool is that they get distracted by the hype that Tool are some uber-musical geniuses that can't be surpassed by anyone.

I try to see things more clearly. It doesn't worry me that some people think Tool are gods. I know they are not and that there is plenty more wonderful music out there. It also doesn't worry me that some say Tool are highly overrated. I don't try to rate and rank everything, I just embrace the beauty of art as it is presented.

This way I can enjoy Tool for what it is: bloody good music.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:14 AM   #63
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:

I think the main problem with people who have this problem with Tool is that they get distracted by the hype that Tool are some uber-musical geniuses that can't be surpassed by anyone.

I try to see things more clearly. It doesn't worry me that some people think Tool are gods. I know they are not and that there is plenty more wonderful music out there. It also doesn't worry me that some say Tool are highly overrated. I don't try to rate and rank everything, I just embrace the beauty of art as it is presented.

This way I can enjoy Tool for what it is: bloody good music.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
08-07-2006, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987
...But I would never think less of anyone who doesn't like 10,000 Days. I have a hard time comprehending why they don't, but it's their loss and that's that. I think it's brilliant. I do think that being a musician helps though, cause there is some crazy stuff going on everywhere. These guys truly are geniuses, all of them. It's in the subtlety as much as it is in the virtuosity.
Yes. especially the first sentence.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:23 AM   #64
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987
...But I would never think less of anyone who doesn't like 10,000 Days. I have a hard time comprehending why they don't, but it's their loss and that's that. I think it's brilliant. I do think that being a musician helps though, cause there is some crazy stuff going on everywhere. These guys truly are geniuses, all of them. It's in the subtlety as much as it is in the virtuosity.
Yes. especially the first sentence.
donhumberto
08-07-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:

man, that "I like weirder music than the rest" attitude is sooo boring... just go and become a member of the lightning bolt fanclub or something, dude...
Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #65

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

man, that "I like weirder music than the rest" attitude is sooo boring... just go and become a member of the lightning bolt fanclub or something, dude...
martyrinexile86
08-07-2006, 11:50 AM

I think all of their albums are excellent in their own unique way. Opiate and Undertow had a pure hard rock sound, whereas Aenima and Lateralus saw them evolve immensely from that sound, to forge a more prog-influenced epic sound and song structure. 10,000 Days is just another step in their ongoing evolution. And to anyone having grievances with the percieved lack of depth in the lyrics, I read an interview where Maynard said he chose to go in a more personal lyrical direction on this record. Apparently, when people didn't seem to fully absorb and understand the philosophical spiritual lyrics of Lateralus, he kind of became disillusioned I guess. From what I can surmise, he felt alot of people who listened to it were just doing so purely for the enjoyment of the music itself and not trying to delve further into the lyrics in order to truly understand where he and the band were coming from. Granted, I haven't been a fan that long (since late '03) but they have still touched my life in a positive way and helped me through some tough times in my life. Kind of bums me out that people can't except that bands have to grow and change in order for them to remain vital and relevant.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #66
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 12

I think all of their albums are excellent in their own unique way. Opiate and Undertow had a pure hard rock sound, whereas Aenima and Lateralus saw them evolve immensely from that sound, to forge a more prog-influenced epic sound and song structure. 10,000 Days is just another step in their ongoing evolution. And to anyone having grievances with the percieved lack of depth in the lyrics, I read an interview where Maynard said he chose to go in a more personal lyrical direction on this record. Apparently, when people didn't seem to fully absorb and understand the philosophical spiritual lyrics of Lateralus, he kind of became disillusioned I guess. From what I can surmise, he felt alot of people who listened to it were just doing so purely for the enjoyment of the music itself and not trying to delve further into the lyrics in order to truly understand where he and the band were coming from. Granted, I haven't been a fan that long (since late '03) but they have still touched my life in a positive way and helped me through some tough times in my life. Kind of bums me out that people can't except that bands have to grow and change in order for them to remain vital and relevant.
08-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Memorable riffs? Why just riffs? What about memorable moments of music? There are plenty of them on 10,000 Days.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #67
Level 7 - Loquacious

Memorable riffs? Why just riffs? What about memorable moments of music? There are plenty of them on 10,000 Days.
grady's Avatar grady
08-08-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum

Not necessarily, ever since Lateralus came out, I have had a disdain for Ticks and Leeches. But just last week, for whatever reason, I gave it another listen, and now I am wearing that fucking song out.
I agree. That's one of the coolest things about all their albums. (Well at least the 2 prior to this)
Out of the 5/6 actual songs on their albums, I'll be in love with 3 of them and kinda forget about a few. Then I do just as you said and give it another listen...and you hear all kinds of shit you've never noticed.
Reflection was like that, and Rosetta stoned was the first one I sorta did that with on this album.

grady
Old 08-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #68
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Not necessarily, ever since Lateralus came out, I have had a disdain for Ticks and Leeches. But just last week, for whatever reason, I gave it another listen, and now I am wearing that fucking song out.
I agree. That's one of the coolest things about all their albums. (Well at least the 2 prior to this)
Out of the 5/6 actual songs on their albums, I'll be in love with 3 of them and kinda forget about a few. Then I do just as you said and give it another listen...and you hear all kinds of shit you've never noticed.
Reflection was like that, and Rosetta stoned was the first one I sorta did that with on this album.

grady
lizbiz
08-08-2006, 08:29 AM

Anyone in this thread who said Tool are less passionate has not seen this album performed live.

Go see a performance and MAYBE you'll 'get it'
Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #69

Anyone in this thread who said Tool are less passionate has not seen this album performed live.

Go see a performance and MAYBE you'll 'get it'
KlepTIK
08-08-2006, 02:20 PM

I find that people who claim that other people "don't get it", are the ones who really "don't get it". Especially the ones who would consider punching somebody for having a different opinion.

Last edited by KlepTIK; 08-08-2006 at 02:23 PM..
Old 08-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #70

I find that people who claim that other people "don't get it", are the ones who really "don't get it". Especially the ones who would consider punching somebody for having a different opinion.

Last edited by KlepTIK; 08-08-2006 at 02:23 PM..
lachrymotion's Avatar lachrymotion
08-08-2006, 11:03 PM

oh goddamnit....

When did TOOL's music become a religion...so fucking 'man-made'? Seriously? "Well MY TOOL is this and that...so they can't be that"

You're taking something that is given to you in a raw unmolested form, and trying to force your own spin on it. Hasn't Maynard (or God if you will), stated on many occassions their music has no linear message? Everything is up for the listener's interpretation. Just because another fan of the music didn't see something you did, doesn't make him "wrong". He simply had a different outlook on it...good or bad. Being a pompous ass and wanting to "throw down" because someone didn't like a song or two is childlish. If you "got" TOOL (your phrasing not mine), you should realize everything is subjective, to think for yourself, and not to force your own viewpoints on others. Instead of looking at him in dumbfoundment, you should have invited him to go grab a beer and discuss the album...or simply stated your own opinion and been on your way

TOOL is just a band (granted, in my opinion the greatest band ever to exist). I'm not trying to downplay their importance on you, or others (because they have impacted my deeply), but other bands have envoked similar meanings to other people. Being a fan doesn't grant you special mystical powers and entitle you to this elitist lifestyle.

Sorry for the rant, and for using you as a scapegoat for my aggression lately. With the entire Street Scene fiasco, and now this post, I am really starting to see why so many people who are not fans of the band have such a vendetta for TOOL fans. Just like religion, people take a great philosophy and bend and twist it to their own personal satisfaction. Live and let live
Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #71
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

oh goddamnit....

When did TOOL's music become a religion...so fucking 'man-made'? Seriously? "Well MY TOOL is this and that...so they can't be that"

You're taking something that is given to you in a raw unmolested form, and trying to force your own spin on it. Hasn't Maynard (or God if you will), stated on many occassions their music has no linear message? Everything is up for the listener's interpretation. Just because another fan of the music didn't see something you did, doesn't make him "wrong". He simply had a different outlook on it...good or bad. Being a pompous ass and wanting to "throw down" because someone didn't like a song or two is childlish. If you "got" TOOL (your phrasing not mine), you should realize everything is subjective, to think for yourself, and not to force your own viewpoints on others. Instead of looking at him in dumbfoundment, you should have invited him to go grab a beer and discuss the album...or simply stated your own opinion and been on your way

TOOL is just a band (granted, in my opinion the greatest band ever to exist). I'm not trying to downplay their importance on you, or others (because they have impacted my deeply), but other bands have envoked similar meanings to other people. Being a fan doesn't grant you special mystical powers and entitle you to this elitist lifestyle.

Sorry for the rant, and for using you as a scapegoat for my aggression lately. With the entire Street Scene fiasco, and now this post, I am really starting to see why so many people who are not fans of the band have such a vendetta for TOOL fans. Just like religion, people take a great philosophy and bend and twist it to their own personal satisfaction. Live and let live
Trismegistus's Avatar Trismegistus
08-09-2006, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrymotion
Live and let live
Amen to that. The fact that the members of TOOL use the band as a spiritual vehicle for self-transformation does not necessarily mean that there is unambigious meaning to be found in their expressions. After all, in several interviews the members have said "Think for yourselves".

As such, on every album in each song there is ambiguity to be found to evoke the stance that we as humans fail to see the whole picture. Take for example the photo on the Aenima CD: is this man involved in sexual activity or not? We cannot be sure because we fail to see the whole picture, in fact it's "undecidable". it's meaning is ambigious. So it is not so important what the picture means - or lyrics of a TOOL song for that matter -. It's more important what the picture means to you. Life's what you make it ...

Generally spoken, how can you relate the music of TOOL to your own life. There are no institutionalized meanings to be found in the music and that's the beauty of TOOL because they intentionally make their music unintentional and we cannot even be sure about that because we fail to see the whole picture.

It is fun though discussing about the meaning of TOOL's music ...

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:12 AM   #72
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrymotion
Live and let live
Amen to that. The fact that the members of TOOL use the band as a spiritual vehicle for self-transformation does not necessarily mean that there is unambigious meaning to be found in their expressions. After all, in several interviews the members have said "Think for yourselves".

As such, on every album in each song there is ambiguity to be found to evoke the stance that we as humans fail to see the whole picture. Take for example the photo on the Aenima CD: is this man involved in sexual activity or not? We cannot be sure because we fail to see the whole picture, in fact it's "undecidable". it's meaning is ambigious. So it is not so important what the picture means - or lyrics of a TOOL song for that matter -. It's more important what the picture means to you. Life's what you make it ...

Generally spoken, how can you relate the music of TOOL to your own life. There are no institutionalized meanings to be found in the music and that's the beauty of TOOL because they intentionally make their music unintentional and we cannot even be sure about that because we fail to see the whole picture.

It is fun though discussing about the meaning of TOOL's music ...

Just my 2 cents.
08-09-2006, 06:55 AM

To lachrymotion and Klep,

You are idiots. If you actually read anything I've written, you'd realize I'm not mad that someone's opinion differs from mine. I simply posed the question, Is it possible to "get tool" and actually dislike 10K Days. Not prefer other albums...Dislike this one.
In my opinion it's not possible.
You are retards. And I WASNT GOING TO BEAT ANYONE UP!!!!
Read b4 you post dicks!

grady
Old 08-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

To lachrymotion and Klep,

You are idiots. If you actually read anything I've written, you'd realize I'm not mad that someone's opinion differs from mine. I simply posed the question, Is it possible to "get tool" and actually dislike 10K Days. Not prefer other albums...Dislike this one.
In my opinion it's not possible.
You are retards. And I WASNT GOING TO BEAT ANYONE UP!!!!
Read b4 you post dicks!

grady
08-09-2006, 08:08 AM

Tink fo yo-sef.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #74
Banned.

Tink fo yo-sef.
grady's Avatar grady
08-09-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Read before your post dicks?

A comma would have really changed the effect of that one. hahahaha
Just giving you a hard time, bro.
HAHA. Well...That too!

grady
Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #75
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Read before your post dicks?

A comma would have really changed the effect of that one. hahahaha
Just giving you a hard time, bro.
HAHA. Well...That too!

grady
lachrymotion's Avatar lachrymotion
08-09-2006, 11:19 AM

All your jibber-jabber just sounds like a guy who is trying to convince himself and other's they are holier than thou.

Of corse its possible to dislike an album and still "get" TOOL. I dislike mathmatics, but I know that 2 + 2 = 4.

Get off your soapbox...and quit being a jackass. I never hurled insults at you to make a point. That the only way you can make yours?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #76
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

All your jibber-jabber just sounds like a guy who is trying to convince himself and other's they are holier than thou.

Of corse its possible to dislike an album and still "get" TOOL. I dislike mathmatics, but I know that 2 + 2 = 4.

Get off your soapbox...and quit being a jackass. I never hurled insults at you to make a point. That the only way you can make yours?
Lupin
08-09-2006, 11:42 AM

You sire, are a pathetic motherfucker for wanting to hit someone simply because they disagree with you. That is all.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #77
Level 3 - Talker

You sire, are a pathetic motherfucker for wanting to hit someone simply because they disagree with you. That is all.
08-09-2006, 12:37 PM

^ and the word of the week is: probation!

ok, kids, go play in the sand for a while...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #78
Banned.

^ and the word of the week is: probation!

ok, kids, go play in the sand for a while...
grady's Avatar grady
08-09-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
You weirdos are unreal!

Read b4 Writing Friends!!! (it's the least you can do to prevent yourself from saying something retarded.)

grady
Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #79
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
You weirdos are unreal!

Read b4 Writing Friends!!! (it's the least you can do to prevent yourself from saying something retarded.)

grady
benjiman's Avatar benjiman
08-09-2006, 03:30 PM

Being a person who believes in subjectivity and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have to disagree with the original poster. That being said, I also think that Tool are the only band that could even come close to absolute, objective beauty, and 10,000 Days is definately their strongest work yet.

The people who don't enjoy 10,000 Days may be ignorant, or maybe they "get" something you don't. Maybe Tool has lost their sincerity, and instead have started making music that only the brainwashed will follow out of blind loyalty. In no way do I believe that, but you have to acknowledge that you see something here, but you still haven't seen everything, and never will. I can't say I wouldn't lose some respect for someone looking down on the album, but I still respect the fact you are voicing your opinion. In my world, Tool is the only way to go, and 10,000 Days is their best album, and those who deny it, are ignorant. That's my world, in the real world, think for yourself, question authority.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #80
Level 3 - Talker

Being a person who believes in subjectivity and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have to disagree with the original poster. That being said, I also think that Tool are the only band that could even come close to absolute, objective beauty, and 10,000 Days is definately their strongest work yet.

The people who don't enjoy 10,000 Days may be ignorant, or maybe they "get" something you don't. Maybe Tool has lost their sincerity, and instead have started making music that only the brainwashed will follow out of blind loyalty. In no way do I believe that, but you have to acknowledge that you see something here, but you still haven't seen everything, and never will. I can't say I wouldn't lose some respect for someone looking down on the album, but I still respect the fact you are voicing your opinion. In my world, Tool is the only way to go, and 10,000 Days is their best album, and those who deny it, are ignorant. That's my world, in the real world, think for yourself, question authority.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply