opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/29 - Barcelona, ESP - Razmataz

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: 2006/05/29 - Barcelona, ESP - Razmataz

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

WHY are TOOL playing so short gigs?? A great band like TOOL should play 2 hours
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #4

I agree with you. The gig was amazing, flawless, awesome, but... TOO FUCKING SHORT.
Yesterday I went to a Deftones Show and it was 2 hours long. They played ADRENALINE on its enterity as an encore.

SALUD!

Last edited by ladiatia; 05-29-2006 at 03:49 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #5

It was a Concert. TOOL headlining with no support act. Was great but, yes, too short.

SALUD!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-30-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show, yesterday ! I did 4 hours of car to come down to Barcelona, from France for that TOOL show. As asual when I do that, I don't regret ! The show was a bit short, compair to the US gigs the band played in May, but it was great, a very good sound, beautiful stage with screens, ...
A funny thing : I use to come down to this venue about one time per month, and I see how the security guys act with the audience. They don't care about cameras, crowd surfing, phones with cameras, ... and you don't see them at all sometimes. But yesterday, it was funny to see them. They were two times more numerous, big lights in hands on the front row, trying to stop the flashes of the cameras in the audience, running through the pit to ask the guys to delete the photos from their phones, ... It seems that the Tool Management is very strict with the security and wanted to prevent any uncontrolled communication and images ... even if the show yesterday was taped by a guy who was closed to me ! Ha ha !
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-30-2006, 01:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesz
Awesome show, yesterday ! I did 4 hours of car to come down to Barcelona, from France for that TOOL show. As asual when I do that, I don't regret ! The show was a bit short, compair to the US gigs the band played in May, but it was great, a very good sound, beautiful stage with screens, ...
A funny thing : I use to come down to this venue about one time per month, and I see how the security guys act with the audience. They don't care about cameras, crowd surfing, phones with cameras, ... and you don't see them at all sometimes. But yesterday, it was funny to see them. They were two times more numerous, big lights in hands on the front row, trying to stop the flashes of the cameras in the audience, running through the pit to ask the guys to delete the photos from their phones, ... It seems that the Tool Management is very strict with the security and wanted to prevent any uncontrolled communication and images ... even if the show yesterday was taped by a guy who was closed to me ! Ha ha !
Hello, I was there too, and I was also impressed by the security. On sunday there were a lot of people taking pictures of the Deftones at the same venue, even a guy taped the show with a handycam. During the APC show back in 2004 the security was pretty much the same.

Salud.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

i've just arrived from Barcelona...

and the only way i can think of for describing last night's show with the least number of words is only 4 words long: "flawless, but too short"

they sounded awesome, massive, huge! incredibly powerful sound (my chest is still hurting because of the lows), yet crystal clear (except when Maynard used his megaphone, obviously :P )... no techical/musical/technological mistakes, no "i'd like some[whatever instrument] more", nothing of that...

anyway, as some people said, it was too short (1h20... started at 21:50 and finished at 23:10, approx.), even more not having opening act (not even a Spanish band)... i heard they are not playing The Pot because it's a hard song to sing, but i would've thanked a couple more songs (dunno... Prison Sex or Parabola, to name a couple of songs that aren't too much to ask for, like the salival version of Pushit would be), or at least a proper DJ (not someone playing a couple of Meshuggah songs -back to back, as if they just put the CD in and pushed play- and a couple of electronic music that sounded like being played directly from a compilation)

oh, and i agree with the security issue, saying it was overwhelming (they were even frisking everyone at the venue's entrance)... i understand the band's point (maynard saying that he doesn't like to be singing, and having some smartass blinding him with his camera flash, not "stealing" their music taping it, or whatever), but i think it is excessive how they carry that type of things (at some shows from other people, they specifically state that photo cameras are allowed, but without flash)...

all in all... i think this will in deed be one of the best shows of the year, unless they come back over here to do a longer show... ;)
Old 05-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

I must agree that after waiting for 5+ years 1h20 might be called a "short" concert, but on the other hand, considering the UNBEARABLE temperature on the venue (I've attended a couple of gigs at Razzmatazz), I was praying for the show to end. 5 minutes more in that oven and I've been probably dead.

The show was GREAT (I mean, what can you expect from these genius (Justin left me speechless, he was HUGE the whole night)), but it's not that the volume was too loud as almost always in a rock/metal show: the volume was INCREDIBLY loud, I even felt physical pain in my ears at times. Thank god I had my earplugs and could use them at some songs ...

Either way, TOOL are awesome.

Last edited by Roark; 05-30-2006 at 02:23 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Hey folks...

If anyone has decent pics, video and / or sound from this show, i'd be grateful to hear from you.

4th Tool gig and 2nd time at the RZZ after seeing APC there in 2004. Although hot as an oven and overcrowded, this venue is still awesome. Sound was great, Visuals spectacular. Maynard didn't say much. Did his usual "thankyou all for coming", also said "Have you had enough yet?" a couple of times and "Next stop, France" towards the end.

They did the extended Stinkfist (less the Elvis bits) & also Schism with the double time jam in the middle.

Will write a decent review when i get around to it.
Thebarton Theater '97 - Rod Laver Arena '01 - Adelaide Ent Cnetre '02 - Barcelona RZZ Club '06 - Glasgow Academy '06 - London Hammersmith '06 (x2) - Munich Zenith '06 - London Wembley '06 - Nottingham England '06 - Melbourne Meyer Music Bowl '07 - Adelaide BDO '07
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

I did arrive at around 19.30 pm, the Razzmatazz concert room opened at 20pm.
There was a huge file and we did not managed to enter before 21.15pm
The room was quite small (and indeed overcrowded), cool to see them here.

There was regrettably no other band before TOOL, and they began their show at 21.45pm instead of 21.30pm.

I was in the back of the room, on the left side. Very good view since the scene is enough high.

To my mind the sound was quite weird, powerful but often bad balanced, several times we heard to much the bass that did covers all the other instruments (baaaaauuuumm baaauum).
The sound was heavy but not as heavy as in the Zenith, Paris show 5 years before.
The snare drums was not as "exhausting" as in the records.

There was as usual 4 "small" screens behind the scene.

Just a little part of Lost Keys was played, as well as the first minute of Intension (before Right In Two).
The beginning voice of Rosetta Stoned was cool.

The Forty Six & 2 drums solo was INSANE, better than the album !
And the end of the song was LOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUD !!!!!

I did not like the new accelerated part on Schism.

Right in Two was cool but could have been better, Adam missed a few.
Otherwise the mandala "solo" of Danny was very very nice.

I think Sober was the best song of the night, incredible !

The calm Lateralus part at the end was played by Justin on his knees.

Ænema was ideal to finish the show, excellent !

One hour and a half of show was too short.

It was a great show, with Justin and Danny at their very best !!!!

This was my third TOOL show. It's still the best band I've ever seen playing live.

Next step : Paris au Zénith le 28 juin.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Hi Guys ! For those who want to learn french, check out my live report of that amazing show on WWW.LEPROZY.COM, the french webzine in which I write the reviews of all the shows I go to, and especially in Barcelona !
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: