Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
Minsk
04-23-2006, 09:59 PM

I just went into ECM (my local cd store) and asked if they had any spare 10,000 Days posters, and the chick at the counter said that the record company had been really cautious about everything about 10,000 Days. They even went into the shop themselves to put up the posters.

I also pre-ordered the album while I was in there, and she told me that they won't be getting the cd until the morning of release (May 1st here), which is extremely unusual, and that (again) the record company had given very little info on why. She did know that the packaging WILL be fold out, WILL contain a viewer of some sorts to see the sterioscopic images, and she said "I think it is a double disc, but I'm not sure".

Make of this what you will, but I'm pretty sure somethings up.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
A bit more info for you.

I just went into ECM (my local cd store) and asked if they had any spare 10,000 Days posters, and the chick at the counter said that the record company had been really cautious about everything about 10,000 Days. They even went into the shop themselves to put up the posters.

I also pre-ordered the album while I was in there, and she told me that they won't be getting the cd until the morning of release (May 1st here), which is extremely unusual, and that (again) the record company had given very little info on why. She did know that the packaging WILL be fold out, WILL contain a viewer of some sorts to see the sterioscopic images, and she said "I think it is a double disc, but I'm not sure".

Make of this what you will, but I'm pretty sure somethings up.
OFFLINE |  
Lagomorph's Avatar Lagomorph
04-23-2006, 10:07 PM

yeah, i remember last year asking a CD store person when the new tool album was coming out as they had pre-orders available for sept 17th. i was told it came from tools record label representatives, so as far as i am confirmed. anything the cd stores advertise or tell you is subject to change.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 30
Re: A bit more info for you.

yeah, i remember last year asking a CD store person when the new tool album was coming out as they had pre-orders available for sept 17th. i was told it came from tools record label representatives, so as far as i am confirmed. anything the cd stores advertise or tell you is subject to change.
OFFLINE |  
CallofCthulhu's Avatar CallofCthulhu
04-23-2006, 10:21 PM

The plot thickens. When is the Australian release? Friday?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

The plot thickens. When is the Australian release? Friday?
OFFLINE |  
04-23-2006, 10:36 PM

australia is the 28th, NZ is may 1st.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
On Probation

australia is the 28th, NZ is may 1st.
OFFLINE |  
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
04-23-2006, 10:40 PM

Isnt it out on Saturday 29th in oz?? Im sure i heard jjj say saturday, could be wrong tho.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

Isnt it out on Saturday 29th in oz?? Im sure i heard jjj say saturday, could be wrong tho.
OFFLINE |  
04-23-2006, 10:46 PM

oh yeah, sorry midnight 28th it will be out in AUS.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
On Probation

oh yeah, sorry midnight 28th it will be out in AUS.
OFFLINE |  
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
04-23-2006, 10:59 PM

oh ok cool, thought u mightve meant that. Anyone know anywhere in Perth, or WA, lol, thats having midnight sales on friday???
Old 04-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

oh ok cool, thought u mightve meant that. Anyone know anywhere in Perth, or WA, lol, thats having midnight sales on friday???
OFFLINE |  
schmeng's Avatar schmeng
04-23-2006, 11:00 PM

29th in australia, midnight wouldn't technically be the 28th anymore
Old 04-23-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

29th in australia, midnight wouldn't technically be the 28th anymore
OFFLINE |  
JB77
04-23-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha
I haven't heard of any midnight releases for Perth. I went to the midnight release of Lateralus at RED Underground which is now JB HiFi.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha
I haven't heard of any midnight releases for Perth. I went to the midnight release of Lateralus at RED Underground which is now JB HiFi.
OFFLINE |  
fraz's Avatar fraz
04-23-2006, 11:38 PM

Last Saturday, I went into SKinny's in brisbane the other day to find out about the midnight store opening (which is this friday night) and they actually had the album playing on the load speaker (of couse I've only heard vicarious so I freaked out a little). so skinny's must have at least one copy already to be playing the entire album.

EDIT: anyone else in brisbane going to this?
Old 04-23-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24

Last Saturday, I went into SKinny's in brisbane the other day to find out about the midnight store opening (which is this friday night) and they actually had the album playing on the load speaker (of couse I've only heard vicarious so I freaked out a little). so skinny's must have at least one copy already to be playing the entire album.

EDIT: anyone else in brisbane going to this?
OFFLINE |  
TheCryingCarrot
04-24-2006, 01:49 AM

[/QUOTE]EDIT: anyone else in brisbane going to this?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully but doubtfully, I'm doing a pub crawl from 1pm on that day, 20 pubs with a pot of XXXX Gold at each so it depends what state I'm in by midnight, I can see myself walking in to Skinny's, falling down the stairs and telling them to wack 20 copies of 10,000 Days on my credit card
Old 04-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

[/QUOTE]EDIT: anyone else in brisbane going to this?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully but doubtfully, I'm doing a pub crawl from 1pm on that day, 20 pubs with a pot of XXXX Gold at each so it depends what state I'm in by midnight, I can see myself walking in to Skinny's, falling down the stairs and telling them to wack 20 copies of 10,000 Days on my credit card
04-24-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCryingCarrot
I'm doing a pub crawl from 1pm on that day, 20 pubs with a pot of XXXX Gold at each
XXXX? eeewww.. You crazy Queenslanders.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
I'm doing a pub crawl from 1pm on that day, 20 pubs with a pot of XXXX Gold at each
04-24-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault
I know, I don't usually drink the shit. I drink heavy beer like Toohey's New, Extra Dry, or Carlton Draught.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:00 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault
I know, I don't usually drink the shit. I drink heavy beer like Toohey's New, Extra Dry, or Carlton Draught.
04-24-2006, 02:25 AM

Why start now. XXXX is not fun.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:25 AM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

TheCryingCarrot
04-24-2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonus.cheese
Well to me all the mid strength beers are crap so it would really be picking the lesser of two (three, four, five...) evils plus there are 15 of us doing the crawl most of whom drink it so I thought I'd make it easy for everyone as I'm the one who organised it.

After a few you forget about the taste anyway :)
Old 04-24-2006, 02:30 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Well to me all the mid strength beers are crap so it would really be picking the lesser of two (three, four, five...) evils plus there are 15 of us doing the crawl most of whom drink it so I thought I'd make it easy for everyone as I'm the one who organised it.

After a few you forget about the taste anyway :)
04-24-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I do not get the appeal of carlton draught.. tastes like beer from an ash tray.. bargh!

edit; oh and preorders might be a good idea.. spoke to a guy at jb hifi at chadstone (melbourne) and he said that that store is only getting 100 or 200 copies and that a few stores have sold out based on pre-sales already..
Old 04-24-2006, 06:40 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I do not get the appeal of carlton draught.. tastes like beer from an ash tray.. bargh!

edit; oh and preorders might be a good idea.. spoke to a guy at jb hifi at chadstone (melbourne) and he said that that store is only getting 100 or 200 copies and that a few stores have sold out based on pre-sales already..
OFFLINE |  
Opernimalus
04-24-2006, 07:29 AM

I'll be heading into Utopia Records in Sydney tomorrow to check the pre-order status and heading back on Friday night for the midnight release.

And when it comes to beer, drink Coopers. Your tastebuds will thank you ;)
Old 04-24-2006, 07:29 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

I'll be heading into Utopia Records in Sydney tomorrow to check the pre-order status and heading back on Friday night for the midnight release.

And when it comes to beer, drink Coopers. Your tastebuds will thank you ;)
OFFLINE |  
Cucumber_11's Avatar Cucumber_11
04-24-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
*Drinking an XXXX right now*

*hangs head*
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 192

Quote:
*Drinking an XXXX right now*

*hangs head*
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
OFFLINE |  
themayanlion
04-24-2006, 11:07 AM

it may be unusual where you are, but at the record store i worked at it was not uncommon to receive new releases the monday before. it was actually the common practice.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

it may be unusual where you are, but at the record store i worked at it was not uncommon to receive new releases the monday before. it was actually the common practice.
OFFLINE |  
Minsk
04-24-2006, 05:42 PM

maybe that normal for you, but the lady said they usually get them in 3 days to a week before realease. This is the first time she had ever seen the record companies be so cautious over anything.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

maybe that normal for you, but the lady said they usually get them in 3 days to a week before realease. This is the first time she had ever seen the record companies be so cautious over anything.
OFFLINE |  
liffey
04-24-2006, 05:54 PM

why does it say minsk only has 1 post, when he just posted twice in this thread?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

why does it say minsk only has 1 post, when he just posted twice in this thread?
04-24-2006, 05:56 PM

be that as it may, it is not the first time record companies have been that cautious over a band.we had similar instances with other bands, and Tool is a band who does not approve of piracy, so it's pretty reasonable to assume the people are just trying to comply with Tool's not wanting shit to leak or posters to be misplaced/stolen.

there is a lot that goes into marketing for any band, and some plans are a lot more rigid and structured than others, especially when coupled with a band who shuns marketing unnecessary marketing like Tool does, or is as protective of their art as they are.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

be that as it may, it is not the first time record companies have been that cautious over a band.we had similar instances with other bands, and Tool is a band who does not approve of piracy, so it's pretty reasonable to assume the people are just trying to comply with Tool's not wanting shit to leak or posters to be misplaced/stolen.

there is a lot that goes into marketing for any band, and some plans are a lot more rigid and structured than others, especially when coupled with a band who shuns marketing unnecessary marketing like Tool does, or is as protective of their art as they are.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply