Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
tooljunky
04-23-2006, 06:52 AM

I just took this from Tool Army.
Sorry if its been posted.
But as you can see, its not fake. Give up the bad theories.
This sheds some light on where Tool went with this.

This to me says, if you dont like it, thats fine. Move on. This is Tool.

::MJK interview::

Hi all! i just finished translating an interview that MJK did with a Finnish music magazine. Sorry for the possible grammar errors...enjoy! :)

MJK: "Mainly our only goal is that we can be 100% satisfied with the things weve created. The way
we can achieve this is to clear our personal "playlists" from everything else. This is the only way
we can do our own separate things from time to time but always come back to together, to share
the knowledge, experiences, stories and create art.

Another goal is the pure intention of working together. It doesnt matter if the song is 10 or 3 minutes long. The key is the purity towards the process and when we achieve that, the final product will reflect where the four of us were at that moment of creativity.

The songs are born out of co-operation. A huge part of our material comes out of when the band jams and then as a reaction to when someone suggest something and it might be included.

The Loft (rehersal place) is very important for us cos there we feel homelike. At one point Danny lived there. All creative work is made in that room. There we feel naked and things happen very naturally. So when we go to studio we have our material 95% done. This was the case this time too. We knew exactly what to do. You gotta leave that a small space for the movement but i'd say we are always very well prepared. A huge thanks to Joe Barresi who spent lots of time and effort working on (especially) guitar sounds. I think "10,000 Days" is overall more "raw" sounding than "Lateralus" or "Aenima" and you have to go back all the way to "Undertow" to find similar soundscapes.

"Lipan Conjuring" is Danny's little song which he made with his friend Tom Brown. It's an Lipan-apache exorcism, kinda like a situation check and strengthening your roots. As far as i have understood the idea is before starting a task to ask yourself: "Where am I now and where am I going?". Little bit like when the hindus are praying Ganesh for advise and protection or how the buddhas say: to achieve this and this goal I have to take a breath for 10,000 times. All this is related to the theme that we are coming back to our roots and we consider this as our "rhythm& blues" album. But kinda "blues" Tool would play or King Crimson.

We are not gonna play this album thru as a whole live. That kinda fate i wouldnt want for anyone.
But as the tour goes on we will include some songs on our setlist. There's a lot of work there cos we
got a lot of old songs too. There's an own evolution on this matter too. And what it comes to the
opinion of feeling that the album is too "blur" as it is, I can only say that i didnt force anyone to eat at McDonald's or to drink Coca-Cola. If someone cant concentrate on listening this kinda record, I
apologize but this is where Tool stands now. Cos i love movies like "Apocalypse. Now". It's very easy for me to sit down the whole time and watch it. But if someone is satisfied with Adam Sandler, go ahead. There's a place for everything.

In our case its about filling the musical needs and the bands like "Good Charlotte" dont really do it.
And there's nothing wrong with that. Im not trying to be mean but honest. There's no depth in that kinda beginner's approach to music. Things were different for example with Steven Tylor(Aerosmith) and he's not that good of a poet either! Or with Joe Walsh (The Eagles). They had different ways to express sadness than: "I'm saaad!". This is the way the young bands write their songs. First they decide to make a song about being sad and it goes: "Im sad...Now im mad. I hate my dad...but im...so sad". Sure. Can you get discount tickets to Starbuck's when buying these guys' records?

Our albums are like milestones to us. In the end it doesnt matter if we are relevant or not in the eyes of other people. If we can look back and say that we were true to ourselves then we dont have anything to worry about.

After APC i had one month vacation before getting back to Tool and "10,000 Days" took about 9-12 months to make.

What it comes to politics, I see the atmosphere has changed very little. Back in 1970 I was playing on our yard 5 miles away from Kent State University when people were shot to death. I remember it very well. I also remember how people got out in the streets to demonstrate. Now they send an email to someone saying:"Im mad!". There's the level of commitment today. To send an angry email to someone who you havent even met.

We are going on tour soon and due to world events the keeping things going there is about 25% more expensive than last time. First the gas prices rise and then everything else after that. Times are strange. All will end cos of its own impossibility but before that it would be important to realize that life goes on. I wish people would be more aware of, for example, politics and the environment. And learn to understand how that small community, the people around you can survive even if the times were really bad. I have drank 1943's Moutonia. During those hard times there were winemakers in France and thought:"After this mess is clear and you guys have taken your heads out of your asses, wed have some wine here for you. We will release the 1943 vintage in 1947". Life goes on.

Art should always be anti-material. Flamenco is a great cultural example how music is not only a
spiritual experience but a structure built inside the community which connects generations. The
children can be quite good in flamenco but not as good as their parents or their grandparents. These elders strengthen their own relationships by getting better in this sport. And their know-how makes their children to admire them. In USA we dont have anything like this. Here the young despise their granparents."

Last edited by tooljunky; 04-23-2006 at 06:57 AM..
Old 04-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Not fake, move on.. Maynard Interview

Hi all! i just finished translating an interview that MJK did with a Finnish music magazine. Sorry for the possible grammar errors...enjoy! :)

MJK: "Mainly our only goal is that we can be 100% satisfied with the things weve created. The way
we can achieve this is to clear our personal "playlists" from everything else. This is the only way
we can do our own separate things from time to time but always come back to together, to share

Another goal is the pure intention of working together. It doesnt matter if the song is 10 or 3 minutes long. The key is the purity towards the process and when we achieve that, the final product will reflect where the four of us were at that moment of creativity.

The songs are born out of co-operation. A huge part of our material comes out of when the band jams and then as a reaction to when someone suggest something and it might be included.

The Loft (rehersal place) is very important for us cos there we feel homelike. At one point Danny lived there. All creative work is made in that room. There we feel naked and things happen very naturally. So when we go to studio we have our material 95% done. This was the case this time too. We knew exactly what to do. You gotta leave that a small space for the movement but i'd say we are always very well prepared. A huge thanks to Joe Barresi who spent lots of time and effort working on (especially) guitar sounds. I think "10,000 Days" is overall more "raw" sounding than "Lateralus" or "Aenima" and you have to go back all the way to "Undertow" to find similar soundscapes.

"Lipan Conjuring" is Danny's little song which he made with his friend Tom Brown. It's an Lipan-apache exorcism, kinda like a situation check and strengthening your roots. As far as i have understood the idea is before starting a task to ask yourself: "Where am I now and where am I going?". Little bit like when the hindus are praying Ganesh for advise and protection or how the buddhas say: to achieve this and this goal I have to take a breath for 10,000 times. All this is related to the theme that we are coming back to our roots and we consider this as our "rhythm& blues" album. But kinda "blues" Tool would play or King Crimson.

We are not gonna play this album thru as a whole live. That kinda fate i wouldnt want for anyone.
But as the tour goes on we will include some songs on our setlist. There's a lot of work there cos we
got a lot of old songs too. There's an own evolution on this matter too. And what it comes to the
opinion of feeling that the album is too "blur" as it is, I can only say that i didnt force anyone to eat at McDonald's or to drink Coca-Cola. If someone cant concentrate on listening this kinda record, I
apologize but this is where Tool stands now. Cos i love movies like "Apocalypse. Now". It's very easy for me to sit down the whole time and watch it. But if someone is satisfied with Adam Sandler, go ahead. There's a place for everything.

In our case its about filling the musical needs and the bands like "Good Charlotte" dont really do it.
And there's nothing wrong with that. Im not trying to be mean but honest. There's no depth in that kinda beginner's approach to music. Things were different for example with Steven Tylor(Aerosmith) and he's not that good of a poet either! Or with Joe Walsh (The Eagles). They had different ways to express sadness than: "I'm saaad!". This is the way the young bands write their songs. First they decide to make a song about being sad and it goes: "Im sad...Now im mad. I hate my dad...but im...so sad". Sure. Can you get discount tickets to Starbuck's when buying these guys' records?

Our albums are like milestones to us. In the end it doesnt matter if we are relevant or not in the eyes of other people. If we can look back and say that we were true to ourselves then we dont have anything to worry about.

After APC i had one month vacation before getting back to Tool and "10,000 Days" took about 9-12 months to make.

What it comes to politics, I see the atmosphere has changed very little. Back in 1970 I was playing on our yard 5 miles away from Kent State University when people were shot to death. I remember it very well. I also remember how people got out in the streets to demonstrate. Now they send an email to someone saying:"Im mad!". There's the level of commitment today. To send an angry email to someone who you havent even met.

We are going on tour soon and due to world events the keeping things going there is about 25% more expensive than last time. First the gas prices rise and then everything else after that. Times are strange. All will end cos of its own impossibility but before that it would be important to realize that life goes on. I wish people would be more aware of, for example, politics and the environment. And learn to understand how that small community, the people around you can survive even if the times were really bad. I have drank 1943's Moutonia. During those hard times there were winemakers in France and thought:"After this mess is clear and you guys have taken your heads out of your asses, wed have some wine here for you. We will release the 1943 vintage in 1947". Life goes on.

Art should always be anti-material. Flamenco is a great cultural example how music is not only a
spiritual experience but a structure built inside the community which connects generations. The
children can be quite good in flamenco but not as good as their parents or their grandparents. These elders strengthen their own relationships by getting better in this sport. And their know-how makes their children to admire them. In USA we dont have anything like this. Here the young despise their granparents."

Last edited by tooljunky; 04-23-2006 at 06:57 AM..
OFFLINE |  
slicknickshady's Avatar slicknickshady
04-23-2006, 06:56 AM

Great Interview.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Bincount™: 832
Re: Not fake, move on.. Maynard Interview

Great Interview.
OFFLINE |  
perhan
04-23-2006, 07:06 AM

awesome interview. if its real???
Old 04-23-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

OFFLINE |  
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-23-2006, 07:08 AM

good read. im curious too to find out if its real or not
Old 04-23-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

OFFLINE |  
tooljunky
04-23-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perhan
my gosh...
Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 AM   #5

Quote:
my gosh...
OFFLINE |  
samael
04-23-2006, 07:12 AM

It is real. It's taken from Soundi. www.soundi.fi
Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

It is real. It's taken from Soundi. www.soundi.fi
OFFLINE |  
HolyReality's Avatar HolyReality
04-23-2006, 07:18 AM

cool.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

cool.
OFFLINE |  
kacpr
04-23-2006, 07:23 AM

So it seems like there's no Trent Reznor on Lipan Conjuring :(
Old 04-23-2006, 07:23 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

So it seems like there's no Trent Reznor on Lipan Conjuring :(
OFFLINE |  
Juanjay
04-23-2006, 07:27 AM

nice read
Old 04-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

nice read
OFFLINE |  
tamer
04-23-2006, 07:33 AM

not saying I believe all this hoax crap, but that interview does not prove the album is fake, it proves Maynard is not saying it is fake... which would be pretty dumb....
Old 04-23-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

not saying I believe all this hoax crap, but that interview does not prove the album is fake, it proves Maynard is not saying it is fake... which would be pretty dumb....
OFFLINE |  
The Village Too
04-23-2006, 07:47 AM

ugh that was a stupid read

maynard sounds like a big jackass talking about his "depth" and good charlotte's lameness
Old 04-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

maynard sounds like a big jackass talking about his "depth" and good charlotte's lameness
OFFLINE |  
justlikeme
04-23-2006, 07:50 AM

so how do we know that the person who translated it, doesn't agree with the hoax theories and made all this up. I don't speak finnish.

j/k

this made me lol though
"Im sad...Now im mad. I hate my dad...but im...so sad

The albums real.
Always has been.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #12

so how do we know that the person who translated it, doesn't agree with the hoax theories and made all this up. I don't speak finnish.

j/k

this made me lol though
"Im sad...Now im mad. I hate my dad...but im...so sad

The albums real.
Always has been.
OFFLINE |  
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
04-23-2006, 08:22 AM

"As far as i have understood the idea is before starting a task to ask yourself: "Where am I now and where am I going?". Little bit like when the hindus are praying Ganesh for advise and protection or how the buddhas say: to achieve this and this goal I have to take a breath for 10,000 times" Interesting I can see how this relates to the title track.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:22 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

"As far as i have understood the idea is before starting a task to ask yourself: "Where am I now and where am I going?". Little bit like when the hindus are praying Ganesh for advise and protection or how the buddhas say: to achieve this and this goal I have to take a breath for 10,000 times" Interesting I can see how this relates to the title track.
OFFLINE |  
Metlamaniac's Avatar Metlamaniac
04-23-2006, 08:58 AM

Good charlotte are fucking shocking
Old 04-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #14

Bincount™: 15

Good charlotte are fucking shocking
OFFLINE |  
justlikeme
04-23-2006, 09:01 AM

or to put it nicely, musically retarded
Old 04-23-2006, 09:01 AM   #15

or to put it nicely, musically retarded
OFFLINE |  
chodeeza
04-23-2006, 09:04 AM

damn it feels good to have heard this album the first time and said 'well i guess that explains tool's version of a blues album.' otherwise excellent interview and a wonderful quote i am going to stick up somewhere...

"Art should always be anti-material." - mjk
Old 04-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

damn it feels good to have heard this album the first time and said 'well i guess that explains tool's version of a blues album.' otherwise excellent interview and a wonderful quote i am going to stick up somewhere...

OFFLINE |  
s62's Avatar s62
04-23-2006, 09:16 AM

god, I hope this settles the hoax bullshit... Of course, the idiots writing the hoax theory crap also avoid REASON and INTELLECT at all costs, instead favoring consiracy and paranoia. Idiots. They'll probably roll right over this and keep posting their dumb theories.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #17
s62
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 45

god, I hope this settles the hoax bullshit... Of course, the idiots writing the hoax theory crap also avoid REASON and INTELLECT at all costs, instead favoring consiracy and paranoia. Idiots. They'll probably roll right over this and keep posting their dumb theories.
04-23-2006, 09:20 AM

lol @ the Good Charlotte part. I despise those "punks".

The metaphors prove how real the album is to me. *shrugs*
Old 04-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

lol @ the Good Charlotte part. I despise those "punks".

The metaphors prove how real the album is to me. *shrugs*
OFFLINE |  
T-13h's Avatar T-13h
04-23-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooljunky
"After this mess is clear and you guys have taken your heads out of your asses, wed have some wine here for you. We will release the 1943 vintage in 1947". Life goes on.
Fuck yeah.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #19
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 911

Quote:
"After this mess is clear and you guys have taken your heads out of your asses, wed have some wine here for you. We will release the 1943 vintage in 1947". Life goes on.
Fuck yeah.
04-23-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeme
I for one can verify the article being A) in the magazine and B) the translator has followed the "spirit" of the interview!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeme
I for one can verify the article being A) in the magazine and B) the translator has followed the "spirit" of the interview!
04-23-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeeza
All you read and Wear or see and Hear on tv Is a product Begging for your Fatass dirty Dollar.
Shutup and buy my new record.
-mjk

The man's all talk.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #21
Porn Starchitect

Bincount™: 8645

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeeza
All you read and Wear or see and Hear on tv Is a product Begging for your Fatass dirty Dollar.
Shutup and buy my new record.
-mjk

The man's all talk.
04-23-2006, 10:21 AM

No... You're all dumb.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #22
s62
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 45

No... You're all dumb.
04-23-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I seriously hope someone doesn't take that out of context to back up the theory that 10,000 Days is unreleased material or b-sides.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #23
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:
I seriously hope someone doesn't take that out of context to back up the theory that 10,000 Days is unreleased material or b-sides.
OFFLINE |  
Vianney's Avatar Vianney
04-23-2006, 11:15 AM

I wonder if we'll ever get an interview where they actually talk about the songs on the album, and not just the segue tracks...

- G.K Chesterton

http://www.myspace.com/andrewsthilaire
Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 13

I wonder if we'll ever get an interview where they actually talk about the songs on the album, and not just the segue tracks...

- G.K Chesterton

http://www.myspace.com/andrewsthilaire
OFFLINE |  
seadonkey
04-23-2006, 12:27 PM

Sometimes I wonder if other bands read these little clips where Maynard or someone else from Tool says something about how lame they are or how they suck or are musically retarded or are just there to fill some void for the unintellectual and really get upset? These are bands that know how great Tool is and how committed they are to making great music and great art, and Tool is a band that they likely respect a whole lot for what they do. So I just wonder if they get upset if they read these things. Kinda like Fred Durst saying Tool and Maynard are big inspirations to him, and then the band as a whole kinda busts on Limp Bizkit. I wonder if that makes him upset. Just wondering what others thought about this.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Sometimes I wonder if other bands read these little clips where Maynard or someone else from Tool says something about how lame they are or how they suck or are musically retarded or are just there to fill some void for the unintellectual and really get upset? These are bands that know how great Tool is and how committed they are to making great music and great art, and Tool is a band that they likely respect a whole lot for what they do. So I just wonder if they get upset if they read these things. Kinda like Fred Durst saying Tool and Maynard are big inspirations to him, and then the band as a whole kinda busts on Limp Bizkit. I wonder if that makes him upset. Just wondering what others thought about this.
OFFLINE |  
Staid
04-23-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadonkey
I would hope such people would have the strength of character to recognize their current abilities and say; "he is right, what that band does musically is in a completely different realm, because they have more knowledge, more vision and they flat out work harder at creating art than i do"

Everyone can't be an expert, we are all at different stages of knowledge, vision and skill.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadonkey
I would hope such people would have the strength of character to recognize their current abilities and say; "he is right, what that band does musically is in a completely different realm, because they have more knowledge, more vision and they flat out work harder at creating art than i do"

Everyone can't be an expert, we are all at different stages of knowledge, vision and skill.
OFFLINE |  
Perseensilmä's Avatar Perseensilmä
04-23-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staid
...and then they write a song like Vicarious. Hopefully itŽs a hoax or Tool just became Tool Charlotte.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #27
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 3773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staid
...and then they write a song like Vicarious. Hopefully itŽs a hoax or Tool just became Tool Charlotte.
04-23-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s62
No... You're all dumb.
Fantastic rebuttal.

Anyway....

Quote:
"Art should alwys be anti-material"
"I sold my soul to make a record, dipshit
And you bought one"

Examples of Tool diliberately making art into material:
- Very successful t-shirts, hats, stickers, and every other bit of fan identification out there.... well designed logos and all that, but material nonetheless.
- Very artistic videos, successful in making Tool the venerated band they are today. Said videos are partially responsible for Tool's fame, thus being sold as much as anything else. Oh yes, then the videos are packaged and actually sold many years later.

Maybe Maynard wasn't being full of shit when he said that in this particular interview, and maybe he enjoys the smell of his own farts now as well. Sounds pretty damned self righteous to me, though, and that's a very atypical vibe for him. Maybe the "act like an asshole" thing is a hoax, too.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:53 PM   #28
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by s62
No... You're all dumb.
Fantastic rebuttal.

Anyway....

Quote:
"Art should alwys be anti-material"
And you bought one"

- Very successful t-shirts, hats, stickers, and every other bit of fan identification out there.... well designed logos and all that, but material nonetheless.
- Very artistic videos, successful in making Tool the venerated band they are today. Said videos are partially responsible for Tool's fame, thus being sold as much as anything else. Oh yes, then the videos are packaged and actually sold many years later.

Maybe Maynard wasn't being full of shit when he said that in this particular interview, and maybe he enjoys the smell of his own farts now as well. Sounds pretty damned self righteous to me, though, and that's a very atypical vibe for him. Maybe the "act like an asshole" thing is a hoax, too.
OFFLINE |  
Zeradin
04-23-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09
This is the saddest thing I've ever seen.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09
This is the saddest thing I've ever seen.
OFFLINE |  
Seethus
04-23-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeperKhan
Fantastic rebuttal.

Anyway....

And you bought one"

Did it ever occur to you that tool fans might actually agree with his views and what he said?
Maybe you should stop and think before you go on your little tirade next time.
Tool dont make music all by themselves, they belong to volcano records which are part of the same conglomerate record company that BRITNEY SPEARS belongs to.
Dont give me that BULLSHIT about how Tool have sold out, I hear it every time a new album comes out.

"man...Tool have sold out"...SHUT UP, IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE A RECORD.
The difference between Tool and MOST other bands is they make the album they want to make, and the record company lets them because they know it will be awesome no matter what, and that in the long run the album will be a huge seller.
Now I dont know much about the record industry these days, but God, I dont think many bands have that much creative freedom. They have to work within their little niche, or their work will be 'revised'
Also last time I checked, it wasnt against moral standards to make money, so you should really shut the fuck up with your "act like an asshole" argument.
Its beyong logic that you come on these boards and start complaining about how much an asshole maynard is. GTFO.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Fantastic rebuttal.

Anyway....

And you bought one"

Did it ever occur to you that tool fans might actually agree with his views and what he said?
Tool dont make music all by themselves, they belong to volcano records which are part of the same conglomerate record company that BRITNEY SPEARS belongs to.
Dont give me that BULLSHIT about how Tool have sold out, I hear it every time a new album comes out.

The difference between Tool and MOST other bands is they make the album they want to make, and the record company lets them because they know it will be awesome no matter what, and that in the long run the album will be a huge seller.
Now I dont know much about the record industry these days, but God, I dont think many bands have that much creative freedom. They have to work within their little niche, or their work will be 'revised'
Also last time I checked, it wasnt against moral standards to make money, so you should really shut the fuck up with your "act like an asshole" argument.
Its beyong logic that you come on these boards and start complaining about how much an asshole maynard is. GTFO.
04-23-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seethus

Quoted for truth
Old 04-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #31

Bincount™: 258

Quote:

Quoted for truth
OFFLINE |  
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
04-23-2006, 04:26 PM

Maynard is annoying in this interview.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #32
Banned.

Bincount™: 3972

OFFLINE |  
LeperKhan
04-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Well, I guess I wasn't clear. Making money is great, and I don't think Tool have "sold out" because they were into marketing their shit from the beginning... like any sane band would be.

As far as the "asshole comment." Yeah, he's sounded like a huge asshole in recent interviews. Honestly, if he can't stand Linkin Park or whatever, that's perfectly alright, but I'd expect someone in his position to not give a fuck about it so much that he rips on these bands every chance he gets. Yeah, I think Good Charlotte and Fallout Boy and whatever suck, but so what? I barely feel the need to even talk about them, as someone who's not considered a rock god. For him to even mention them in such a negative way, knowing full well none of those bands will be here in 5 years or that know one will care about them anymore, is just immature and petty.

So yeah... that's the origin of my "asshole" comment. I love that Tool make money, it gives me hope for the future of music.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #33
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Well, I guess I wasn't clear. Making money is great, and I don't think Tool have "sold out" because they were into marketing their shit from the beginning... like any sane band would be.

As far as the "asshole comment." Yeah, he's sounded like a huge asshole in recent interviews. Honestly, if he can't stand Linkin Park or whatever, that's perfectly alright, but I'd expect someone in his position to not give a fuck about it so much that he rips on these bands every chance he gets. Yeah, I think Good Charlotte and Fallout Boy and whatever suck, but so what? I barely feel the need to even talk about them, as someone who's not considered a rock god. For him to even mention them in such a negative way, knowing full well none of those bands will be here in 5 years or that know one will care about them anymore, is just immature and petty.

So yeah... that's the origin of my "asshole" comment. I love that Tool make money, it gives me hope for the future of music.
OFFLINE |  
LeMarchand's Avatar LeMarchand
04-23-2006, 04:42 PM

I like my Tool t-shirts and I think the artwork is ART as much as the music.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

I like my Tool t-shirts and I think the artwork is ART as much as the music.
04-23-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Fantastic rebuttal.

Anyway....

And you bought one"

I think you might have missed the point of Hooker with a Penis? The line you referenced, in my opinion, was ment to sort of ridicule posers. The whole song is ment, in my opinion, to say "you buy all this stuff and pretend to know everything about us but you don't even have a clue where we are coming from." Tool, like some religious writings and other sources of "information" are not ment to be taken literally or even seriously. But perhaps are ment to give you a little nudge so that you can learn to ask questions and take yourself on a ride to an interesting place.
I like the new album and I think that it will help filter out those that can't handle change, can't take a joke or two and those who think an artist has to create something extremely complex so that they (the snobbish listeners) can feel like they "get" something that is not easy to grasp for others. If you think you have the talent to make something better, then do it. I may even listen to your pretentious bullsh**. Just remember, no matter how good you are, there will always be someone better.
Oh and those who like to get on these forums and diss the artists or the music or whatever the subject may be, if you are sincere then I applaud you. But don't pretend that you are better than anyone else. I decided to reply to this post because a quote was taken out of context and the point of it was totally missed. Listen to a song in its entirety, find out what it means to you and then discuss your opinion, as opinion. If the song sounds horrible or lame to you and you can't afford to give it a chance then let it go, don't drag it through the mud until you have formed a complete opinion about it.
As for:

"Examples of Tool diliberately making art into material"

If an artist decides to make a living through his/her art in a capitalistic society then he must sell that art to do so. The stickers, pins, hats, t-shirts, etc. are items driven by the consumer and are not the art itself, but are what is called merchandise. You can go to the Grand Canyon and see God's art (if you are spiritually inclined) and you can pick up a "I heart Grand Canyon" mug at a gift shop. Not really the Canyon, just a reminder and a way for you to show off that you've been there and also a way to help make sure that place is not sold off to some industrial land-fill company.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Fantastic rebuttal.

Anyway....

And you bought one"

I think you might have missed the point of Hooker with a Penis? The line you referenced, in my opinion, was ment to sort of ridicule posers. The whole song is ment, in my opinion, to say "you buy all this stuff and pretend to know everything about us but you don't even have a clue where we are coming from." Tool, like some religious writings and other sources of "information" are not ment to be taken literally or even seriously. But perhaps are ment to give you a little nudge so that you can learn to ask questions and take yourself on a ride to an interesting place.
I like the new album and I think that it will help filter out those that can't handle change, can't take a joke or two and those who think an artist has to create something extremely complex so that they (the snobbish listeners) can feel like they "get" something that is not easy to grasp for others. If you think you have the talent to make something better, then do it. I may even listen to your pretentious bullsh**. Just remember, no matter how good you are, there will always be someone better.
Oh and those who like to get on these forums and diss the artists or the music or whatever the subject may be, if you are sincere then I applaud you. But don't pretend that you are better than anyone else. I decided to reply to this post because a quote was taken out of context and the point of it was totally missed. Listen to a song in its entirety, find out what it means to you and then discuss your opinion, as opinion. If the song sounds horrible or lame to you and you can't afford to give it a chance then let it go, don't drag it through the mud until you have formed a complete opinion about it.
As for:

"Examples of Tool diliberately making art into material"

If an artist decides to make a living through his/her art in a capitalistic society then he must sell that art to do so. The stickers, pins, hats, t-shirts, etc. are items driven by the consumer and are not the art itself, but are what is called merchandise. You can go to the Grand Canyon and see God's art (if you are spiritually inclined) and you can pick up a "I heart Grand Canyon" mug at a gift shop. Not really the Canyon, just a reminder and a way for you to show off that you've been there and also a way to help make sure that place is not sold off to some industrial land-fill company.
OFFLINE |  
LeperKhan
04-23-2006, 05:16 PM

Harvester, I really hope you were writing that speil without realizing that I had made a new post in here.... I understand that I was fairly unclear in that quoted post.

There was no misunderstanding of that song, I assure you.

However, when I hear that Maynard has said somethign along the lines of "Art is anti-material," it makes want to say "you're full of shit, kthx." Art is not anti-material. Perhaps anti-overproduction, but not anti-material. In any case, my point is that either Maynard has changed dramatically since writing Hooker, or he was fairly full of crap in that interview.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

Harvester, I really hope you were writing that speil without realizing that I had made a new post in here.... I understand that I was fairly unclear in that quoted post.

There was no misunderstanding of that song, I assure you.

However, when I hear that Maynard has said somethign along the lines of "Art is anti-material," it makes want to say "you're full of shit, kthx." Art is not anti-material. Perhaps anti-overproduction, but not anti-material. In any case, my point is that either Maynard has changed dramatically since writing Hooker, or he was fairly full of crap in that interview.
OFFLINE |  
phylleb
04-23-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:

i wonder what songs they will play in the concert if they are not going to commit the show to only 10000 days?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #37

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

i wonder what songs they will play in the concert if they are not going to commit the show to only 10000 days?
OFFLINE |  
wu li master
04-23-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Too

well at the very least, he is right
Old 04-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Too

well at the very least, he is right
OFFLINE |  
SomethingSpecial
04-23-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Mack
Your fucking annoying. Congrats on your 3 posts. Keep coming back bro
Old 04-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #39
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Mack
Your fucking annoying. Congrats on your 3 posts. Keep coming back bro
04-23-2006, 07:06 PM

Doesn't anyone remember when Maynard was an asshole in every interview?
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
Old 04-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #40

Doesn't anyone remember when Maynard was an asshole in every interview?
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply