opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 11-19-2002, 06:34 AM   #1
predicticus maximus

Bincount™: 2
Lateralus compared to the book "the giver"

has anyone ever noticed that the lyrics to the songs 'lateralus' and 'jimmy' have a strong relation to the book 'the giver'...i was very suprised when i realized this cause i loved the book and now i love a little more....
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:40 AM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
huh

I never thought about that before but I can see some connectoins.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:09 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Hey there, who's that book by sorry?
Old 11-19-2002, 09:28 AM   #4
predicticus maximus

author

the author of the giver is lowis lowry
Old 11-19-2002, 09:50 AM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

I read 'The Giver' several years ago but don't recall enough of it to compare, I might have to check it out again. Do you have any examples of the relation?
Old 11-19-2002, 11:54 AM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1125
I read The Giver a long time ago, this is what i can connect to it:

Almost of the charactars can only see in black and white.

There is a picture of a red apple with a swirling yellow design on the cover of some of the copies.

I'm pretty sure everybody else can come up with some more.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:15 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

yeah, and the whole aspect of the main character going through all of that pain and suffering when the giver sends him past images and tells him the truth about the customs of the town. like when the giver sends him the memory of sledding down the snowy hill and the kid imagines that he hurts himself while going down hill (? i don't really remember the book that much, i haven't read it since fifth grade). and when the kid is alienated from all of his other friends because he is not allowed to talk about his new training, he's hurt and fells alone, but that alienation only makes him stronger. he has to go through that pain to get to a higher state of being as opposed to just be a blind follower and believer like the rest of the town.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:08 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

I can really see where this is coming from.

"Black and white are all I see in my infancy" In the beginning, the main character sees only in black and white. "Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, lets me see" The first thing he sees in color is an apple, which tend to be red and yellow. The colors reach out to him, intrigue him; and seeing these colors results in him changing his life for the better.

"As below, so above and beyond I imagine, drawn beyond the lines of reason. Push the envelope; watch it bend." The main character starts to open his mind in a way which other members of his comunity never have before. He breaks rules, (pushes the envelope) only to see that the rules are merely rules, and that they CAN be broken. (watch it bend.)

"Overthinking, overanalyzing seperates the body from the mind, withering my intuition, missing oppertuinites and I must feed my will to feel the moment (drawing way outside the lines)" The main character is given memories. While he's having these memories, he actually lives in his mind. He sees things, oppertunities, which used to exist but have been erased by his community, and haven't existed in a long, long time. He begins to wish for the old ways back; but those ways aren't in the confines of his current civilization...

"There is so much more that beckons me to look through to these infinate possibilities." The memories of the past which he sees feed his imagination and he thinks of things which he never would have thought before.

"Feed my will to feel this moment. Edging me across the line. Reaching out to embrace the random. Reaching out to embrace whatever may come." The main character learns that there's so much more. He himself becomes a free thinker, something which is NOT in the borders of his reality. He learns to EMBRACE the random in a community which functions only on the concept of order.

Once you get into this type of thinking, it's so easy to go on and on about it...
Old 11-20-2002, 07:45 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

in addition to what i said earlier, the giver goes along with a lot of tool's songs and ideas (aenema and stinkfist, for example). just wanted to add that.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:01 AM   #10
Human

spiral of memories and colours

i ve read the giver, though some time ago
i see.....some relationship
mainly the story is about a young boy, living in a future(?) world. at the time of his passage from boy to adult, he is told what he is going to be. he is selected to be "the memory" of his people. then he starts an exhaustive training with the elder who will pass on "the memory"
this envolves revelations and separtion, he starts to see the colors, "remember"; live the old memories of an ancient culture (ours)
you know, at first i didnt see it, but now i do...
Old 11-20-2002, 07:07 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Genius...

I have to say that the comparison of Lateralus to the giver was one of the most genius things I have heard of in a long time. I just barely finished that book for the second time, and I would have never thought of that comparison. As for Jimmy...I am going to have to think about that one a little more, I will definately study it though.
Again...absolutly brilliant.
-Dane
Old 11-21-2002, 09:24 AM   #12
predicticus maximus

Thanks

Yeah thanks for teh complement on how it was a genius thing...but that book is soo damn good
Old 11-21-2002, 09:27 AM   #13
predicticus maximus

Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurt
I can really see where this is coming from.

"Black and white are all I see in my infancy" In the beginning, the main character sees only in black and white. "Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, lets me see" The first thing he sees in color is an apple, which tend to be red and yellow. The colors reach out to him, intrigue him; and seeing these colors results in him changing his life for the better.

"As below, so above and beyond I imagine, drawn beyond the lines of reason. Push the envelope; watch it bend." The main character starts to open his mind in a way which other members of his comunity never have before. He breaks rules, (pushes the envelope) only to see that the rules are merely rules, and that they CAN be broken. (watch it bend.)

"Overthinking, overanalyzing seperates the body from the mind, withering my intuition, missing oppertuinites and I must feed my will to feel the moment (drawing way outside the lines)" The main character is given memories. While he's having these memories, he actually lives in his mind. He sees things, oppertunities, which used to exist but have been erased by his community, and haven't existed in a long, long time. He begins to wish for the old ways back; but those ways aren't in the confines of his current civilization...

"There is so much more that beckons me to look through to these infinate possibilities." The memories of the past which he sees feed his imagination and he thinks of things which he never would have thought before.

"Feed my will to feel this moment. Edging me across the line. Reaching out to embrace the random. Reaching out to embrace whatever may come." The main character learns that there's so much more. He himself becomes a free thinker, something which is NOT in the borders of his reality. He learns to EMBRACE the random in a community which functions only on the concept of order.

Once you get into this type of thinking, it's so easy to go on and on about it...
You completly got to what i was talking about, thanks
Old 11-21-2002, 12:49 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

holy buckets

i read that book 6 years ago and i LOVED it...i havent read many books, but that is one of my favorites indeeD! i was surprised to see this post...very very surprised...but i am glad to see many others have read the book. and if you havent, do so! obviously the person who wrote it was a very aware human being and studied things that have similar corrilation with tool songs. the book is a mediphore about "waking up" from the way the world is viewed from the people around you and society, its about persueing individuality and the pain, rewards and responsibility that go along with it. i may have been in 7th grade when i read that book, but i was old enough to see how great it was. it was probly a big stepping stone to a spiritual awakening i had 2 years later. anyway, once again im glad to see that this was posted, this is what the opinion section is all about.

Aaron
Old 11-22-2002, 09:38 AM   #15
predicticus maximus

Yeah

that is an amazing book, when i read it i had just goten in to tool like in 7th grade, before lateralus, and then it seemed to relate to jimmy alot also

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: