Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
Exoskeletal's Avatar Exoskeletal
03-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Don't know if anyone as researched it but here it goes...

1. Experienced or gained through someone else.

I got a certain vicarious pleasure from watching them win.

2. Done on behalf of others

The concept of vicarious atonement, that one person can atone for the sins of another, is found in many religions.

The 2nd definition of the word is interesting, since it is a reference to Christianity, and this is a subject that Tool likes to explore...
Of course, without earing the music and the lyrics, and not having sure if this is the real track title, diggin into this may seem pointless. But just for the fun, any thoughts?
"My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out." - Timothy Leary
Old 03-22-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 16
Vicarious, an interesting definition...

The concept of vicarious atonement, that one person can atone for the sins of another, is found in many religions.

The 2nd definition of the word is interesting, since it is a reference to Christianity, and this is a subject that Tool likes to explore...
Of course, without earing the music and the lyrics, and not having sure if this is the real track title, diggin into this may seem pointless. But just for the fun, any thoughts?
"My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out." - Timothy Leary
OFFLINE |  
exojjl's Avatar exojjl
03-22-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal

MY opinions states that its a very legit sounding track title to me. I will wait and see what becomes of it seeing as I am not totally sure.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11
Re: Vicarious, an interesting definition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal

MY opinions states that its a very legit sounding track title to me. I will wait and see what becomes of it seeing as I am not totally sure.
03-22-2006, 09:01 PM

I hate all the criticism everyone throws around this place, but do you really think weeks after the track list was released noone looked up the definition of various words? This has been done dozens of times already, did it really need a new thread?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Avatar of the Gods (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 13

I hate all the criticism everyone throws around this place, but do you really think weeks after the track list was released noone looked up the definition of various words? This has been done dozens of times already, did it really need a new thread?
OFFLINE |  
03-22-2006, 09:05 PM

Well I was not trying to throw any critisism, sorry bout that. If it has already been discussed, it can be deleted... I was just bored.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #4

Well I was not trying to throw any critisism, sorry bout that. If it has already been discussed, it can be deleted... I was just bored.
OFFLINE |  
exojjl's Avatar exojjl
03-22-2006, 09:10 PM

Your post was much appreciated; I have not looked up the word. Its nice to see someone else doing something productive and not flaming. Props man
Old 03-22-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Your post was much appreciated; I have not looked up the word. Its nice to see someone else doing something productive and not flaming. Props man
03-22-2006, 09:17 PM

sort of relates to what maynard was saying in this interview, about people living through what they see on tv. seems like this interview took place during the lateralus era.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=21CMr6m1BxE&search=tool%20interview
feed upon the fingers, chew the knuckle to the bone, dig inside the crack, beside the pain that is a home, live a distant second skin whatever else that can, fed upon the remnants of a life that's never had... neuworld.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

sort of relates to what maynard was saying in this interview, about people living through what they see on tv. seems like this interview took place during the lateralus era.

feed upon the fingers, chew the knuckle to the bone, dig inside the crack, beside the pain that is a home, live a distant second skin whatever else that can, fed upon the remnants of a life that's never had... neuworld.
OFFLINE |  
KJM
03-22-2006, 09:18 PM

if you didn't look it up (or come..already knew what the word meant?) you're a lazy person. You shouldn't need someone else to point that out to you.

as far as discussion of the word, there are worse threads.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

Bincount™: 48

if you didn't look it up (or come..already knew what the word meant?) you're a lazy person. You shouldn't need someone else to point that out to you.

as far as discussion of the word, there are worse threads.
03-22-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViVisekt6

which could also tie into the new turn off your tv shirts they released? I like the title of this song, too. My guess is it will be a song in the vein of Intolerance.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
On Probation

Bincount™: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViVisekt6

which could also tie into the new turn off your tv shirts they released? I like the title of this song, too. My guess is it will be a song in the vein of Intolerance.
OFFLINE |  
RedVilliam
03-22-2006, 09:21 PM

Vicarious also means to serve instead of or for something else. Ergo, since it's the first title on the list, the list that is given is in fact "serving in place of the real one".
every rule?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Vicarious also means to serve instead of or for something else. Ergo, since it's the first title on the list, the list that is given is in fact "serving in place of the real one".
every rule?
OFFLINE |  
03-22-2006, 09:40 PM

Yeh, It gives ideia that everyone is lookin for a savior, whether it is in relegion, the politics or in the media and no one is even trying to do something for theirselfs. They are just waiting for someone else to solve all their personal and world problems...
Old 03-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #10

Yeh, It gives ideia that everyone is lookin for a savior, whether it is in relegion, the politics or in the media and no one is even trying to do something for theirselfs. They are just waiting for someone else to solve all their personal and world problems...
OFFLINE |  
mon-go-lloyd
03-23-2006, 04:17 PM

Pot

The portion of a stock or bond issue that investment bankers return to the underwriter so the portion can be sold to institutional investors.

Investopedia Commentary

Depending upon the issue and the size of the pot, it may be very lucrative for the underwriter to sell inventory to institutional investors.

Vicarious

1. Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another: read about mountain climbing and experienced vicarious thrills.
2. Endured or done by one person substituting for another: vicarious punishment.
a. Acting or serving in place of someone or something else; substituted.
b. Committed or entrusted to another, as powers or authority; delegated.
4. Physiology. Occurring in or performed by a part of the body not normally associated with a certain function.

In relation to the post about Jambi, it really points to the possibility that the album-title and the song-titles indeed are accurate.

Every bit of information about the songs so far, have been very political. Or at least can be put in a political context. And TOOL have indeed talked about the album being somewhat political and angry.

Peace
Old 03-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
The Pot & Vicarious

Pot

The portion of a stock or bond issue that investment bankers return to the underwriter so the portion can be sold to institutional investors.

Investopedia Commentary

Depending upon the issue and the size of the pot, it may be very lucrative for the underwriter to sell inventory to institutional investors.

Vicarious

1. Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another: read about mountain climbing and experienced vicarious thrills.
2. Endured or done by one person substituting for another: vicarious punishment.
a. Acting or serving in place of someone or something else; substituted.
b. Committed or entrusted to another, as powers or authority; delegated.
4. Physiology. Occurring in or performed by a part of the body not normally associated with a certain function.

In relation to the post about Jambi, it really points to the possibility that the album-title and the song-titles indeed are accurate.

Every bit of information about the songs so far, have been very political. Or at least can be put in a political context. And TOOL have indeed talked about the album being somewhat political and angry.

Peace
OFFLINE |  
flipmojo's Avatar flipmojo
03-23-2006, 04:20 PM

Did this really need a new thread? There are several already with information about the track names.
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
Old 03-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Re: The Pot & Vicarious

Did this really need a new thread? There are several already with information about the track names.
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
OFFLINE |  
NoD
03-23-2006, 04:21 PM

tdn -800
Old 03-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
NoD
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1239

tdn -800
OFFLINE |  
bobvee
03-23-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon-go-lloyd

I still think that "Jambi" is talking about the genie from the Pee-wee Herman Show...
Old 03-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon-go-lloyd

I still think that "Jambi" is talking about the genie from the Pee-wee Herman Show...
OFFLINE |  
bshull2
03-23-2006, 05:36 PM

Has anyone mentioned that the U.S. is consedered to be a "melting pot" of races/cultures? Just a thought.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 2

Has anyone mentioned that the U.S. is consedered to be a "melting pot" of races/cultures? Just a thought.
OFFLINE |  
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
03-23-2006, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshull2
someone did, sometime, what of it?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

Quote:
someone did, sometime, what of it?
03-24-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
i think this a good thought
Old 03-24-2006, 01:09 AM   #17

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
i think this a good thought
03-24-2006, 10:02 AM

This thread took probably every idea from about a month ago and tried to revive it as new info
Old 03-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #18
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

This thread took probably every idea from about a month ago and tried to revive it as new info
03-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmojo
Did this really need a new thread?
No. But what are you gonna do.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #19
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmojo
Did this really need a new thread?