Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
SadSummerSea's Avatar SadSummerSea
07-18-2009, 07:23 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you were at the show, please/thanks.

SETLIST (courtesy of no_name)

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-18-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Old 07-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553
07.18.09 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Fest

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-18-2009 at 08:20 PM..
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
07-18-2009, 09:56 PM

Just got back from the show.

I will get this out of the way immediately, because I know everyone is going to say the same thing again and again: The setlist was disapointing. The EXACT same setlist as the 2007 tour, minus wings+10 000.

However, this was the ONLY down side of the night. And this is a festival date, remember, so tomorrow night I expect a varied setlist.

Tool could play the exact same setlist every single show for years and I would still be going to them.

Lights went off, and adam/justin take the stage in curiously all-white clothing, with DC taking his usual position. I could tell Adam was waiting to start Jambi because he was playing the same "intro" notes before the song starts that he did in the previous tour. He kept waiting though, and looked around because maynard wasn't on stage yet. a minute or so later he shows up and Jambi starts. From this point on I was expecting the same setlist as last tour, and this proved to be true.
Stinkfist - Extended. Always kicks ass live.
46+2 - Danny is a monster. The breakdown at the end was intense and the crowd really got into it.

This is a good chance to mention the highlight of the night: The visuals!
Although the setlist is the same, quite a few significant changes to the visual/stage show this tour. There is a circular astrological symbol of some sort (i believe this picture was posted on toolband) hanging from the lights the entire show. More on this in a sec.
LASERS. Rosetta Stoned was the best song of the night.
In the previous tour, the started using the lasers in the wings for marie intro, slowly building them up. This time, in the middle of Rosetta Stoned right after "God Damn. Shit the bed!" before the 4 minute breakdown/instrumental, the lasers explode. Seriously. Kudos to the lighting team and Junior for a fucking phenominal job once again. I could make this entire review entirely about the lighting and visuals.

Flood was great, as always. Lateralus was a highlight, and they let a guest drummer from another band at the festival do the duet with DC. However, maybe it's just me, but this guy was very shy and was not that great. Then he ran away off the stage before Lateralus ended and Maynard kind of gave him a wave and "wtf?" look. Someone else can verify this.

Also worth noting about this show: Maynard. He's back.
Quite a few maynardisms, most of which other people will post.
"good evening, naked people"

At some point in either Flood or Lateralus, he left the stage for 5 minutes or so, then ran back in the middle of a song - wearing only his underwear and leggings. This was quite comical, and he seemed very into it.

During Lateralus when DC and the guest drummer were doing the breakdown, maynard started singing the "I embrace my..." section before they were finished the drum-mash. It seemed like some sort of mistake for sure, because he was singing as DC was going bonanzo on his drums. Nonetheless, with a near-naked maynard and clearly improvizing band, it made for a unique version of Lateralus.

Before Lateralus, all 4 members stood at the front of the stage side by side and did not move. At all. It was something you had to see, and I hope they do it again. For a good 2 minutes, the entire band standing to attention like soldiers while the audience went crazy. I thought it was neat.

Overall, if you discount the setlist issues, this was an AWESOME show.

I hope the rest of the reviewers mention the many positive and unique things we saw today, besides just bitching about the setlist.

Also funny story: When I was at the airport in Toronto, I gave the US customs officer my passport/boarding pass. This is what happened:

US Border Guard: Where are you going
Me: Denver, CO
US Border Guard: Why?
Me: A concert
US Border Guard: What concert?
Me: Tool
US Border Guard: Oh! I saw them back in 2001 on the Lateralus tour! I remember the lead singer was dressed all weird or something. It was a cool show. Enjoy your trip! *stamps all my documents*

Hah! Great to know being a Tool fan makes me a trusted foreigner!

Peace out, folks..

Do it all again tomorrow night.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
Re: 08.18.09 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Fest

Just got back from the show.

I will get this out of the way immediately, because I know everyone is going to say the same thing again and again: The setlist was disapointing. The EXACT same setlist as the 2007 tour, minus wings+10 000.

However, this was the ONLY down side of the night. And this is a festival date, remember, so tomorrow night I expect a varied setlist.

Tool could play the exact same setlist every single show for years and I would still be going to them.

Lights went off, and adam/justin take the stage in curiously all-white clothing, with DC taking his usual position. I could tell Adam was waiting to start Jambi because he was playing the same "intro" notes before the song starts that he did in the previous tour. He kept waiting though, and looked around because maynard wasn't on stage yet. a minute or so later he shows up and Jambi starts. From this point on I was expecting the same setlist as last tour, and this proved to be true.
Stinkfist - Extended. Always kicks ass live.
46+2 - Danny is a monster. The breakdown at the end was intense and the crowd really got into it.

This is a good chance to mention the highlight of the night: The visuals!
Although the setlist is the same, quite a few significant changes to the visual/stage show this tour. There is a circular astrological symbol of some sort (i believe this picture was posted on toolband) hanging from the lights the entire show. More on this in a sec.
LASERS. Rosetta Stoned was the best song of the night.
In the previous tour, the started using the lasers in the wings for marie intro, slowly building them up. This time, in the middle of Rosetta Stoned right after "God Damn. Shit the bed!" before the 4 minute breakdown/instrumental, the lasers explode. Seriously. Kudos to the lighting team and Junior for a fucking phenominal job once again. I could make this entire review entirely about the lighting and visuals.

Flood was great, as always. Lateralus was a highlight, and they let a guest drummer from another band at the festival do the duet with DC. However, maybe it's just me, but this guy was very shy and was not that great. Then he ran away off the stage before Lateralus ended and Maynard kind of gave him a wave and "wtf?" look. Someone else can verify this.

Also worth noting about this show: Maynard. He's back.
Quite a few maynardisms, most of which other people will post.
"good evening, naked people"

At some point in either Flood or Lateralus, he left the stage for 5 minutes or so, then ran back in the middle of a song - wearing only his underwear and leggings. This was quite comical, and he seemed very into it.

During Lateralus when DC and the guest drummer were doing the breakdown, maynard started singing the "I embrace my..." section before they were finished the drum-mash. It seemed like some sort of mistake for sure, because he was singing as DC was going bonanzo on his drums. Nonetheless, with a near-naked maynard and clearly improvizing band, it made for a unique version of Lateralus.

Before Lateralus, all 4 members stood at the front of the stage side by side and did not move. At all. It was something you had to see, and I hope they do it again. For a good 2 minutes, the entire band standing to attention like soldiers while the audience went crazy. I thought it was neat.

Overall, if you discount the setlist issues, this was an AWESOME show.

I hope the rest of the reviewers mention the many positive and unique things we saw today, besides just bitching about the setlist.

Also funny story: When I was at the airport in Toronto, I gave the US customs officer my passport/boarding pass. This is what happened:

US Border Guard: Where are you going
Me: Denver, CO
US Border Guard: Why?
Me: A concert
US Border Guard: What concert?
Me: Tool
US Border Guard: Oh! I saw them back in 2001 on the Lateralus tour! I remember the lead singer was dressed all weird or something. It was a cool show. Enjoy your trip! *stamps all my documents*

Hah! Great to know being a Tool fan makes me a trusted foreigner!

Peace out, folks..

Do it all again tomorrow night.
07-18-2009, 11:33 PM

Fuck Tool. I've seen basically this same motherfucking show 4 times now, all on different legs of the initial 10k tour. I don't fucking care if they played the songs well. I don't care if Maynard gave his cute little "boobies" lines either.

The show was good the first time. It was alright the second time. It got annoying the third time. This time, the only thing that kept me from leaving in the middle of the set was the hope of a surprise. And, those of you who were there know that didn't happen.

Yeah, the visuals were different, whatever. I DON'T GO TO A CONCERT TO WATCH A COOL LIGHT SHOW AND A SCREEN OF VIDEOS ADAM JONES PUT TOGETHER, I GO TO A SHOW TO LISTEN TO MUSIC. If I wanted to see cool videos, I'd just go on Youtube and pull up one of their music videos.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Nine Inch Nails or something. A band that actually gives a fuck about their fans, tries really hard to change things up as much as possible and really take care of their fans. Tool obviously does not give a shit (at least about the hardcore fans). Yeah, I'm sure all the first time Tool concert goers had a blast. I don't blame them one bit, and I'm glad for them as well. I was blown away my first time.

I really feel it's just come down to money for Tool, if it wasn't just that before as well. They just feel that they can take a year and a half off, come back out, recycle pretty much the same exact show they were playing for almost two years already, and thats ok. They're too lazy to do a little bit of work to put something new and exciting out for us fans that really care.

They make a buck out of it. That's all that matters, right?

Maynard said in 1996 that he sold his soul a long time ago. Maybe this is true. But it was really apparent tonight.

P.S.- I was on the front left side of the stage. Don't know if anyone else here was there as well, but I just hope I wasn't the only one who saw the jackass fan come out and dance for a couple of minutes right at the end of either Forty Six & 2 or Stinkfist. It was maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen, and just hope someone else had the pleasure to get the hearty laugh I got. THAT was the highlight of the show for me.

Last edited by 3eyeswide; 07-18-2009 at 11:45 PM..
Old 07-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 0

Fuck Tool. I've seen basically this same motherfucking show 4 times now, all on different legs of the initial 10k tour. I don't fucking care if they played the songs well. I don't care if Maynard gave his cute little "boobies" lines either.

The show was good the first time. It was alright the second time. It got annoying the third time. This time, the only thing that kept me from leaving in the middle of the set was the hope of a surprise. And, those of you who were there know that didn't happen.

Yeah, the visuals were different, whatever. I DON'T GO TO A CONCERT TO WATCH A COOL LIGHT SHOW AND A SCREEN OF VIDEOS ADAM JONES PUT TOGETHER, I GO TO A SHOW TO LISTEN TO MUSIC. If I wanted to see cool videos, I'd just go on Youtube and pull up one of their music videos.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Nine Inch Nails or something. A band that actually gives a fuck about their fans, tries really hard to change things up as much as possible and really take care of their fans. Tool obviously does not give a shit (at least about the hardcore fans). Yeah, I'm sure all the first time Tool concert goers had a blast. I don't blame them one bit, and I'm glad for them as well. I was blown away my first time.

I really feel it's just come down to money for Tool, if it wasn't just that before as well. They just feel that they can take a year and a half off, come back out, recycle pretty much the same exact show they were playing for almost two years already, and thats ok. They're too lazy to do a little bit of work to put something new and exciting out for us fans that really care.

They make a buck out of it. That's all that matters, right?

Maynard said in 1996 that he sold his soul a long time ago. Maybe this is true. But it was really apparent tonight.

P.S.- I was on the front left side of the stage. Don't know if anyone else here was there as well, but I just hope I wasn't the only one who saw the jackass fan come out and dance for a couple of minutes right at the end of either Forty Six & 2 or Stinkfist. It was maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen, and just hope someone else had the pleasure to get the hearty laugh I got. THAT was the highlight of the show for me.

Last edited by 3eyeswide; 07-18-2009 at 11:45 PM..
OFFLINE |  
sexwithfurniture's Avatar sexwithfurniture
07-19-2009, 12:13 AM

Was and am completely with you, minus the nin shit. Come on, seriously? Hearing "them" live one time would be annoying as hell. "They" recycle the same shit but boggle it every night to confuse you simpletons. Your view of loyalty to fans is loudly excluding United States fans, but then backing off. Only of course, to do a farewell in LA, NY, and Chicago? Uh yep, nin not about the money, just the fans...
Old 07-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Was and am completely with you, minus the nin shit. Come on, seriously? Hearing "them" live one time would be annoying as hell. "They" recycle the same shit but boggle it every night to confuse you simpletons. Your view of loyalty to fans is loudly excluding United States fans, but then backing off. Only of course, to do a farewell in LA, NY, and Chicago? Uh yep, nin not about the money, just the fans...
OFFLINE |  
Emericana's Avatar Emericana
07-19-2009, 12:14 AM

For some reason my post got deleted so I will say it again. What the fuck. I was so goddamn bored at the show and to quote the guy above "fuck tool". This is the seventh time I have seen them. Unfortunately I never got to see them on the lateralus tour so all on 10k days tour. This is the seventh time i have seen essentially the same set. Are you serious. Fuck Maynard, fuck tool, I had tix to
the atl show but I am going to sell them now. I am never giving this band another penny of my money, cause it is so clear to me that the band cares about making money than their fans or even their own music.

Oh and by the way, there were a bunch of errors in the songs tonight and Maynard messed up the lyrics. If the band continues to insist on playing the same songs atleast play them well rather than relying solely on visuals for your show. One other thing, I was at the front left of the stage, so I got to see the corner/a little bit of the back stage. Nearly a SECOND after vicarious was over, maynard ran off the stage in a hurry but trying to be secretive about it, while the rest of the band hung out and waved at the audience. Seriously maynard? Do you really not give a fuck about these people any more? I am assuming the only reason he is even doing this show anymore is because his crappy band puscifer and his wine isnt selling.

Last edited by Emericana; 07-19-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Old 07-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

For some reason my post got deleted so I will say it again. What the fuck. I was so goddamn bored at the show and to quote the guy above "fuck tool". This is the seventh time I have seen them. Unfortunately I never got to see them on the lateralus tour so all on 10k days tour. This is the seventh time i have seen essentially the same set. Are you serious. Fuck Maynard, fuck tool, I had tix to
the atl show but I am going to sell them now. I am never giving this band another penny of my money, cause it is so clear to me that the band cares about making money than their fans or even their own music.

Oh and by the way, there were a bunch of errors in the songs tonight and Maynard messed up the lyrics. If the band continues to insist on playing the same songs atleast play them well rather than relying solely on visuals for your show. One other thing, I was at the front left of the stage, so I got to see the corner/a little bit of the back stage. Nearly a SECOND after vicarious was over, maynard ran off the stage in a hurry but trying to be secretive about it, while the rest of the band hung out and waved at the audience. Seriously maynard? Do you really not give a fuck about these people any more? I am assuming the only reason he is even doing this show anymore is because his crappy band puscifer and his wine isnt selling.

Last edited by Emericana; 07-19-2009 at 09:32 AM..
OFFLINE |  
3eyeswide
07-19-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexwithfurniture View Post
How many albums has Tool released for free? And yes, I understand that Nine Inch Nails is one man. It's just easier to refer to NIN as "them", "their", etc, just to avoid confusion to those who don't know.

Regardless of whether we have differing views on NIN, we agree about tonight's show, so lets leave it at that.

Last edited by 3eyeswide; 07-19-2009 at 12:32 AM..
Old 07-19-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexwithfurniture View Post
How many albums has Tool released for free? And yes, I understand that Nine Inch Nails is one man. It's just easier to refer to NIN as "them", "their", etc, just to avoid confusion to those who don't know.

Regardless of whether we have differing views on NIN, we agree about tonight's show, so lets leave it at that.

Last edited by 3eyeswide; 07-19-2009 at 12:32 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Vincent_Alan's Avatar Vincent_Alan
07-19-2009, 01:03 AM

I can certainly understand the frustration with the setlist. It was essentially the same one we've seen the past few years, and it even seemed more stripped down than that. I was at the Temple Buell show and that was the most disappointing setlist until now -- okay TB was more disappointing considering how much I paid to get into that show.

I was especially bummed about not seeing 10,000 Days. The one Tool show I've missed in Denver in the many years I've been seeing them and I miss the only show (the last time they were here) where they play that song. Oh well. Flood was really cool, and I LOVED what they did with reconstructions to Lateralus and Schism. And the visuals were fucking awesome.

But it sucks to complain about a Tool show when there is so much to be positive about with their shows. The "standing there" thing someone else mentioned was their new approach to the encore (I think), and it was odd and cool. Maynard running back in his underoos was cool too.

I hope they come back and I hope they add some new songs to the setlist. And for god's sake I hope the douchy jock types stay at home. They are starting to dominate the shows, and it is fucking lame to hear these people chant "Tool, Tool, Tool ..." like it is some sort of football game. Seriously, where do they think they are....

Anyway, I'm stoked I got to see them and I hate that I added more negativity in this thread to what was another great Tool experience.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

I can certainly understand the frustration with the setlist. It was essentially the same one we've seen the past few years, and it even seemed more stripped down than that. I was at the Temple Buell show and that was the most disappointing setlist until now -- okay TB was more disappointing considering how much I paid to get into that show.

I was especially bummed about not seeing 10,000 Days. The one Tool show I've missed in Denver in the many years I've been seeing them and I miss the only show (the last time they were here) where they play that song. Oh well. Flood was really cool, and I LOVED what they did with reconstructions to Lateralus and Schism. And the visuals were fucking awesome.

But it sucks to complain about a Tool show when there is so much to be positive about with their shows. The "standing there" thing someone else mentioned was their new approach to the encore (I think), and it was odd and cool. Maynard running back in his underoos was cool too.

I hope they come back and I hope they add some new songs to the setlist. And for god's sake I hope the douchy jock types stay at home. They are starting to dominate the shows, and it is fucking lame to hear these people chant "Tool, Tool, Tool ..." like it is some sort of football game. Seriously, where do they think they are....

Anyway, I'm stoked I got to see them and I hate that I added more negativity in this thread to what was another great Tool experience.
OFFLINE |  
no_name's Avatar no_name
07-19-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSummerSea View Post

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

Looks right to me. Check it out though. I got a new iphone last week and still have the old one. I decided that since the headphones have built in mics I would just record it with that. I stood right next to the sound equipment (whatever that's called) because i figured the sound quality would be great right there. I was not disappointed. I have forgot the maynardisms but will remind myself in the airport when i review those recordings. I listened to them last night and it actually came through quite well. I thought it would be a bunch of bass droning but it actually got everything good (it's in mono!). Please don't PM for these mp3's. I record to share. If you look it will be there in a week or so. I am sure many others recorded it with better success than i. Anyway, the show started just after sun set and Jambi kicked on. I've seen this setlist too many times. I was disappointed with the setlist, but have never been disappointed when leaving a tool show. Nothing really to spectacular as far as new visual effects. lots of lasers from the sound equipment area like on the last tour. There was a (i can't think of what it's called but its probably been mentioned in here already). looked like a TA symbol or part of a mandala drawing. My day yesterday started when i woke up at 9 then went to work for a couple hours then left albuquerque and headed for denver (a 6.5 hour drive). Left at 1 and got to the venue at about 7:30 pm. Shot the shit for a bit then tool played around 9. got done and i was on the road back home at around 12:00. Got home at around 6:00 and went to sleep from 6-9:30. woke up and typed this up. In an hour i have to leave to the airport to fly to SLC. i need some sleep. I was thinking that tomorrow night or Wednesday Night i would get as close to the stage as i could. We'll see. Hopefully they have the SLC thread open so i can post the setlist on there this time. God speed...
Old 07-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: 07.18.09 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSummerSea View Post

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

Looks right to me. Check it out though. I got a new iphone last week and still have the old one. I decided that since the headphones have built in mics I would just record it with that. I stood right next to the sound equipment (whatever that's called) because i figured the sound quality would be great right there. I was not disappointed. I have forgot the maynardisms but will remind myself in the airport when i review those recordings. I listened to them last night and it actually came through quite well. I thought it would be a bunch of bass droning but it actually got everything good (it's in mono!). Please don't PM for these mp3's. I record to share. If you look it will be there in a week or so. I am sure many others recorded it with better success than i. Anyway, the show started just after sun set and Jambi kicked on. I've seen this setlist too many times. I was disappointed with the setlist, but have never been disappointed when leaving a tool show. Nothing really to spectacular as far as new visual effects. lots of lasers from the sound equipment area like on the last tour. There was a (i can't think of what it's called but its probably been mentioned in here already). looked like a TA symbol or part of a mandala drawing. My day yesterday started when i woke up at 9 then went to work for a couple hours then left albuquerque and headed for denver (a 6.5 hour drive). Left at 1 and got to the venue at about 7:30 pm. Shot the shit for a bit then tool played around 9. got done and i was on the road back home at around 12:00. Got home at around 6:00 and went to sleep from 6-9:30. woke up and typed this up. In an hour i have to leave to the airport to fly to SLC. i need some sleep. I was thinking that tomorrow night or Wednesday Night i would get as close to the stage as i could. We'll see. Hopefully they have the SLC thread open so i can post the setlist on there this time. God speed...
07-19-2009, 08:27 AM

I have to agree with the first poster. YES, the setlist was the same, but they were on their game last night, and as always, the visuals were amazing. I really wish they would have played at least ONE different song, but I'll be watching the UT show posts tonight to see what the full show setlist will be. I know it's a festival, but they could have easily thrown something different in, a cover, 3rd Eye, D/R/T. something cool.

That being said, The show they put on always has been, and still is amazing. I didn't see any pissed off Tool fans though, even though the songs were the same. I've seen this similar set 5 times starting at Coachella, and it's still amazing to see. Either I have low expectations, or Tool really does still entertain well with the same recycled set.
There were some non Tool fans in the crowd since they were the only band playing during their whole slot. I heard a lot of excitement from them about the music, the visuals, and especially the lazers, which would have been really cool to see from the helicopter flying overhead. the lazers seemed to shoot all the way to DIA.

Hopefully someone will post a picture of the new tour shirt with their faces on the back. Very weird. The other design was awesome, but I couldn't bring my self to spend $40/$45!!! There was a cool keychain with the wrench logo cut out in metal, but it was $15. Christ guys, you have to have enough money by now. $40 t-shirts is just not cool.

Most of the show was already covered. Maynard said a lot about boobs. something like "This show is brought to you by...boobies". The backdrop was really cool I think it was new, and they had a new septagram hanging on the right side, in front of the backdrop. In on of the first few songs, they were projecting an image of the skull with the fetus inside on the bacdrop, there were multiple projections of this image, and they were moving around all accross the back. Kinda cool. The video was really good tonight, I think because the two house screens looked like they could have been HD. They were very clear compared to the screen behind the band, and the color was extremely vivid.

Danny was ridiculous this show, I am not sure if I've ever seen him play so well. He was improvising a lot of his fills, and even the solo in 46&2 was much different. The mix was pretty good, maynard was quiet at times, but the overall show was very soft. During flood I went back to the sound booth, and the show was WAY too soft. The wind was causing some weird phasing issues as well. In between songs the crowd back there was chanting "Turn it up".

We exited out the south entrance, so we had to go past the crowd waiting for Widespread Panic. That was interesting. A few ppl in front of us had Tool shirts on and some hippy sarcasticly gave them high fives and said "Yeah, Tool!" then he went on to say "Why are you leaving? Haven't you ever heard the Panic? You'd like them, stay around!" funny.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Bincount™: 69

I have to agree with the first poster. YES, the setlist was the same, but they were on their game last night, and as always, the visuals were amazing. I really wish they would have played at least ONE different song, but I'll be watching the UT show posts tonight to see what the full show setlist will be. I know it's a festival, but they could have easily thrown something different in, a cover, 3rd Eye, D/R/T. something cool.

That being said, The show they put on always has been, and still is amazing. I didn't see any pissed off Tool fans though, even though the songs were the same. I've seen this similar set 5 times starting at Coachella, and it's still amazing to see. Either I have low expectations, or Tool really does still entertain well with the same recycled set.
There were some non Tool fans in the crowd since they were the only band playing during their whole slot. I heard a lot of excitement from them about the music, the visuals, and especially the lazers, which would have been really cool to see from the helicopter flying overhead. the lazers seemed to shoot all the way to DIA.

Hopefully someone will post a picture of the new tour shirt with their faces on the back. Very weird. The other design was awesome, but I couldn't bring my self to spend $40/$45!!! There was a cool keychain with the wrench logo cut out in metal, but it was $15. Christ guys, you have to have enough money by now. $40 t-shirts is just not cool.

Most of the show was already covered. Maynard said a lot about boobs. something like "This show is brought to you by...boobies". The backdrop was really cool I think it was new, and they had a new septagram hanging on the right side, in front of the backdrop. In on of the first few songs, they were projecting an image of the skull with the fetus inside on the bacdrop, there were multiple projections of this image, and they were moving around all accross the back. Kinda cool. The video was really good tonight, I think because the two house screens looked like they could have been HD. They were very clear compared to the screen behind the band, and the color was extremely vivid.

Danny was ridiculous this show, I am not sure if I've ever seen him play so well. He was improvising a lot of his fills, and even the solo in 46&2 was much different. The mix was pretty good, maynard was quiet at times, but the overall show was very soft. During flood I went back to the sound booth, and the show was WAY too soft. The wind was causing some weird phasing issues as well. In between songs the crowd back there was chanting "Turn it up".

We exited out the south entrance, so we had to go past the crowd waiting for Widespread Panic. That was interesting. A few ppl in front of us had Tool shirts on and some hippy sarcasticly gave them high fives and said "Yeah, Tool!" then he went on to say "Why are you leaving? Haven't you ever heard the Panic? You'd like them, stay around!" funny.
07-19-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_name View Post
then left albuquerque and headed for denver .
I think I was next to you some of the show. If so, I borrowed a lighter from you. If not, there's another guy from albuquerque who's going to SLC tonight. who knows.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_name View Post
then left albuquerque and headed for denver .
I think I was next to you some of the show. If so, I borrowed a lighter from you. If not, there's another guy from albuquerque who's going to SLC tonight. who knows.
07-19-2009, 10:01 AM

I wasn't expecting much as far as 'new' songs being played- so I had a freakin' blast.

They were really tight and the visuals were great eye candy. The will-call dude screwed up and ended up giving us VIP wristbands. I didn't think much of this until I realized they let us all into the FRONT of the stage right before the show started. Amazing. I was right in front of Justin for most of the set. Got to watch Danny and Justin just rip shit up. It ruled.

Sometime during RS it felt like it got a lot louder... or maybe the bass was just hitting me harder so I watched the rest of the set from the hillside.

As others have mentioned, there were a few moments of them all looking around like "wait, what?". Kinda funny.

ETA: just found some more decent pix:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/reverb/2...al-day-1-pt-5/

Last edited by dan; 07-20-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

I wasn't expecting much as far as 'new' songs being played- so I had a freakin' blast.

They were really tight and the visuals were great eye candy. The will-call dude screwed up and ended up giving us VIP wristbands. I didn't think much of this until I realized they let us all into the FRONT of the stage right before the show started. Amazing. I was right in front of Justin for most of the set. Got to watch Danny and Justin just rip shit up. It ruled.

Sometime during RS it felt like it got a lot louder... or maybe the bass was just hitting me harder so I watched the rest of the set from the hillside.

As others have mentioned, there were a few moments of them all looking around like "wait, what?". Kinda funny.

ETA: just found some more decent pix:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/reverb/2...al-day-1-pt-5/

Last edited by dan; 07-20-2009 at 03:25 PM..
OFFLINE |  
drbg781
07-19-2009, 10:06 AM

So this is my 10th TooL show...not the best, not the worst. I had a great time!!! Tool rocked out the exact way I expected them to after such a long lay-off. I figured they were going to play a "stock" set list...quit complaining...let TooL play what they fucking want, they have earned everything they have. You don't have to go, personally I don't want downer people at concerts anyway. Go listen to other festival shows TooL has played through the years...usually not a long set and nothing too special on them. I knew every song they were going to play before it started because I've seen and heard this set several times...it was fun though. I love tool...the whole spectical of the show is great. I loved the extended versions of Stinkfist and Schism...they always are fun. The lasers and new screen visuals were great, my friend on LSD though so too! Adam, Danny, Justin and Maynard all seemed to have a lot of energy and were ready to be on the stage. Did anyone notice Maynard singing something new near the end of Vicarious?? Maybe I was just imagining things. Maynardisms were funny....especially when he said hi to the naked people then came out later in his underwear and leggings. I knew what to expect...I wasn't let down...haters can talk all the crap they want...if you've been following the band for a while and have heard lots of their live performances from around the world, you shouldn't be surprised at all. Thank-you TooL, I loved my 10th time...thanks KBCO for putting on Mile High Music Festival, I personally had a lot of fun!

Oh...the gig poster is really cool...good ole Adam and his artistic prowess!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

So this is my 10th TooL show...not the best, not the worst. I had a great time!!! Tool rocked out the exact way I expected them to after such a long lay-off. I figured they were going to play a "stock" set list...quit complaining...let TooL play what they fucking want, they have earned everything they have. You don't have to go, personally I don't want downer people at concerts anyway. Go listen to other festival shows TooL has played through the years...usually not a long set and nothing too special on them. I knew every song they were going to play before it started because I've seen and heard this set several times...it was fun though. I love tool...the whole spectical of the show is great. I loved the extended versions of Stinkfist and Schism...they always are fun. The lasers and new screen visuals were great, my friend on LSD though so too! Adam, Danny, Justin and Maynard all seemed to have a lot of energy and were ready to be on the stage. Did anyone notice Maynard singing something new near the end of Vicarious?? Maybe I was just imagining things. Maynardisms were funny....especially when he said hi to the naked people then came out later in his underwear and leggings. I knew what to expect...I wasn't let down...haters can talk all the crap they want...if you've been following the band for a while and have heard lots of their live performances from around the world, you shouldn't be surprised at all. Thank-you TooL, I loved my 10th time...thanks KBCO for putting on Mile High Music Festival, I personally had a lot of fun!

Oh...the gig poster is really cool...good ole Adam and his artistic prowess!
07-19-2009, 11:05 AM

"I feel very unsatisfied." I shared this thought with my immediate neighbors as the house sound came on after Vicarious - There was unanimous agreement.

They were like 7 minutes late coming on stage and ended the set about 5 minutes early - that's enough time for ONE song they didn't play a gazillion times last tour. Even an Aenema closer would have done me some good.

Now, I don't mean to sound like a "hater" (I'll see them any chance I get) but I was very disappointed, I figured they would bring something a little different to the table besides a few new videos (which, btw, were really f'n cool). I caught numerous mistakes, most notably Justin missing a note in the first couple bars of 46 & 2, but most of the time their timing was just a little off. I actually like when that happens though, brings them down from their pedestal, but they still sounded great for the first time playing in 19 months or whatever.

My buddy was a first timer and he loved it. So I guess that is cool. I just left feeling very unsatisfied. Best part of the show for me was my shout-out to Junior few minutes before the set - he seemed a little nervous lol. Look forward to seeing what they play at non-festival dates - and will be envious when they play something sweet (HA!)
Old 07-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"I feel very unsatisfied." I shared this thought with my immediate neighbors as the house sound came on after Vicarious - There was unanimous agreement.

They were like 7 minutes late coming on stage and ended the set about 5 minutes early - that's enough time for ONE song they didn't play a gazillion times last tour. Even an Aenema closer would have done me some good.

Now, I don't mean to sound like a "hater" (I'll see them any chance I get) but I was very disappointed, I figured they would bring something a little different to the table besides a few new videos (which, btw, were really f'n cool). I caught numerous mistakes, most notably Justin missing a note in the first couple bars of 46 & 2, but most of the time their timing was just a little off. I actually like when that happens though, brings them down from their pedestal, but they still sounded great for the first time playing in 19 months or whatever.

My buddy was a first timer and he loved it. So I guess that is cool. I just left feeling very unsatisfied. Best part of the show for me was my shout-out to Junior few minutes before the set - he seemed a little nervous lol. Look forward to seeing what they play at non-festival dates - and will be envious when they play something sweet (HA!)
OFFLINE |  
damnfool's Avatar damnfool
07-19-2009, 12:03 PM

jambi
stinkfist
46 &2
schism extended
rosetta stoned
flood
lateralus
encore: vicarious

Just got home from denver 6hr drive for me so forgive me if i ramble during my attempt at a decent review. Couple of the songs had a few noticeable changes in them and also some new video/lighting/lasers and other changes in the stage setup. Kinda disappointing to pretty much exact same set i seen in the last tour twice minus wings and right in two but overall great show as usual and there was a shitton of people there...really hope the solo shows have different sets but maynard talked a lot more than i've seen him talk in the few shows I've went to and was pretty animated(said: Hello naked people... tonight's show is brought to you by....Boobies.........everybody likes boobies) everybody else was spot on as usual. I'm almost certain that some of the lyrics to rosetta stoned had been changed and I swear i heard Michael Jackson's name during it...also during lateralus they brought out a drummer which i think maynard said was from the black keys(?) to do the little drum off with danny ala 2007 shows and a few more things since I've had some sleep. When they closed with vicarious Maynard did the same thing as previous tour no yell at the end just held the mic out to the crowd. Really hope you guys that are making it to the solo shows get a longer more mixed up setlist. Not that last night sucked by any means just way to damn short.
08/30/06 Englewood,CO Coors Ampitheater, 05/08/2007 Albuquerque,NM Tingley Coliseum, 11/19/2007 Tulsa,OK Tulsa Convention Center,07/18/09 Denver,CO MileHighMusicFestival, 06/23/10 Oklahoma City,OK Ford Center, 06/28/10 Morrison,CO Red Rocks, 01/20/12 Grand Prairie,TX Verizon Theater, 01/21/12 Grand Prairie, TX Verizon Theater, 01/16/2016 Tulsa, OK BOK Center, 10/26/2016 Denver, CO Pepsi Center, 10/28/2016 Little Rock,AR Verizon Arena, 05/13/2019 St. Louis, MO Enterprise Arena, 05/14/2019 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center, 10/29/2019 BOK Center Tulsa,OK, 01/30/2022 Tulsa, OK BOK Center, 10/03/23 Loveland, CO Budweiser Event Center
Old 07-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

jambi
stinkfist
46 &2
schism extended
rosetta stoned
flood
lateralus
encore: vicarious

Just got home from denver 6hr drive for me so forgive me if i ramble during my attempt at a decent review. Couple of the songs had a few noticeable changes in them and also some new video/lighting/lasers and other changes in the stage setup. Kinda disappointing to pretty much exact same set i seen in the last tour twice minus wings and right in two but overall great show as usual and there was a shitton of people there...really hope the solo shows have different sets but maynard talked a lot more than i've seen him talk in the few shows I've went to and was pretty animated(said: Hello naked people... tonight's show is brought to you by....Boobies.........everybody likes boobies) everybody else was spot on as usual. I'm almost certain that some of the lyrics to rosetta stoned had been changed and I swear i heard Michael Jackson's name during it...also during lateralus they brought out a drummer which i think maynard said was from the black keys(?) to do the little drum off with danny ala 2007 shows and a few more things since I've had some sleep. When they closed with vicarious Maynard did the same thing as previous tour no yell at the end just held the mic out to the crowd. Really hope you guys that are making it to the solo shows get a longer more mixed up setlist. Not that last night sucked by any means just way to damn short.
08/30/06 Englewood,CO Coors Ampitheater, 05/08/2007 Albuquerque,NM Tingley Coliseum, 11/19/2007 Tulsa,OK Tulsa Convention Center,07/18/09 Denver,CO MileHighMusicFestival, 06/23/10 Oklahoma City,OK Ford Center, 06/28/10 Morrison,CO Red Rocks, 01/20/12 Grand Prairie,TX Verizon Theater, 01/21/12 Grand Prairie, TX Verizon Theater, 01/16/2016 Tulsa, OK BOK Center, 10/26/2016 Denver, CO Pepsi Center, 10/28/2016 Little Rock,AR Verizon Arena, 05/13/2019 St. Louis, MO Enterprise Arena, 05/14/2019 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center, 10/29/2019 BOK Center Tulsa,OK, 01/30/2022 Tulsa, OK BOK Center, 10/03/23 Loveland, CO Budweiser Event Center
OFFLINE |  
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
07-19-2009, 01:02 PM

despite the setlist, the boys are spot on, thanks Tool, see you guys tonight

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 07-19-2009 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: added to
Old 07-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

despite the setlist, the boys are spot on, thanks Tool, see you guys tonight

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 07-19-2009 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: added to
OFFLINE |  
The_Maestro
07-19-2009, 02:04 PM

Like so many other fans on here, I live for Tool. I know every song by heart. I can play most of them on guitar and bass. Whenever the topic of my favorite band comes up, I expound a 10 minute diatribe on the greatness of Tool... from every possible standpoint, from the lyrics to the arrangements to the production. I can say that no one I've met in my entire life lives and loves a band as much as I do... and seeing the posts here I know that many feel the same way.

That said, I can't FATHOM how all four members of Tool all simultaneously agreed to play the same setlist after being off for 2 years. Think about it: NO ONE in Tool said "hey guys, maybe add in ONE OR TWO different songs?" I almost imagine them laughing, saying "we'll just play the same shit and they'll still love it, that way we won't have to even practice, haha!"

Yesterday morning I was thinking about how fantastic the show was going to be, and how different the setlist was going to be. The Grudge, Parabola, Prison Sex, H, Opiate,... I was CONVINCED I was going to hear some, if not all of those songs along with the old standbys. But right when I saw the stage setup with Adam's talk box, I had a bad feeling it was going to be the same setlist as a few years ago. And then when he played the first notes of "Jambi", I felt like I was caught in some kind of fucked up Nietzschean eternal recurrance joke by the band. Absolutely no surprise whenever they started into each song.... and isn't that why we go to live shows?

And for those saying they were spot on... are you joking? That was by far the sloppiest performance I've seen of them. Being a musician, maybe I have a more discerning ear, but there were many mistakes. Justin biffed some notes here and there, Adam's timing was off in parts... but the worst was the near total meltdown of Lateralus. If anyone has the recording, listen to it. As Danny is doing his solo during the Bridge, Adam comes in with the guitar, and then Maynard comes in with the lyrics. When he says "feel the rhythm" that's when Danny is supposed to come in with that sick drum beat, instead he misses it by 2 measures, which nearly fucks up the entire rest of the song... including Adam's solo right after that. Not until Adam's heavy 4/4 solo riff breakdown did they get back on track. Before that they were constantly looking at eachother in a somewhat panic, and after the song Adam playfully bitched at DC for fucking it up.

And someone mentioned the "duel" between DC and some other drummer. I swear this kid either paid them a million dollars or has terminal cancer or something, because he was definitely NOT a drummer. He was literally hitting a fucking bongo drum like 1 , 2, 3, 4, and over and over. I wish someone has a video because it was a joke. Not even a childlike level of skill. DC was just soloing and this loser was just tapping this drum like a preschooler. WTF was this guy doing on stage anyways?

That all being said, my neck is still sore from rocking out to 46&2, Flood, and Vicarious. Like sex, a subpar Tool show is still pretty good. But most everyone here, you can't help but feel ripped off and disappointed by their apathy towards mixing things up. Before this show I felt like Tool was an invincible God in my mind, but now I saw vulnerabilities in them and can't help but wonder if they're just going through the motions right now for a payday. Not seeing them again until a new album, and I hope the people in Salt Lake get a better show.

Last edited by The_Maestro; 07-19-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Like so many other fans on here, I live for Tool. I know every song by heart. I can play most of them on guitar and bass. Whenever the topic of my favorite band comes up, I expound a 10 minute diatribe on the greatness of Tool... from every possible standpoint, from the lyrics to the arrangements to the production. I can say that no one I've met in my entire life lives and loves a band as much as I do... and seeing the posts here I know that many feel the same way.

That said, I can't FATHOM how all four members of Tool all simultaneously agreed to play the same setlist after being off for 2 years. Think about it: NO ONE in Tool said "hey guys, maybe add in ONE OR TWO different songs?" I almost imagine them laughing, saying "we'll just play the same shit and they'll still love it, that way we won't have to even practice, haha!"

Yesterday morning I was thinking about how fantastic the show was going to be, and how different the setlist was going to be. The Grudge, Parabola, Prison Sex, H, Opiate,... I was CONVINCED I was going to hear some, if not all of those songs along with the old standbys. But right when I saw the stage setup with Adam's talk box, I had a bad feeling it was going to be the same setlist as a few years ago. And then when he played the first notes of "Jambi", I felt like I was caught in some kind of fucked up Nietzschean eternal recurrance joke by the band. Absolutely no surprise whenever they started into each song.... and isn't that why we go to live shows?

And for those saying they were spot on... are you joking? That was by far the sloppiest performance I've seen of them. Being a musician, maybe I have a more discerning ear, but there were many mistakes. Justin biffed some notes here and there, Adam's timing was off in parts... but the worst was the near total meltdown of Lateralus. If anyone has the recording, listen to it. As Danny is doing his solo during the Bridge, Adam comes in with the guitar, and then Maynard comes in with the lyrics. When he says "feel the rhythm" that's when Danny is supposed to come in with that sick drum beat, instead he misses it by 2 measures, which nearly fucks up the entire rest of the song... including Adam's solo right after that. Not until Adam's heavy 4/4 solo riff breakdown did they get back on track. Before that they were constantly looking at eachother in a somewhat panic, and after the song Adam playfully bitched at DC for fucking it up.

And someone mentioned the "duel" between DC and some other drummer. I swear this kid either paid them a million dollars or has terminal cancer or something, because he was definitely NOT a drummer. He was literally hitting a fucking bongo drum like 1 , 2, 3, 4, and over and over. I wish someone has a video because it was a joke. Not even a childlike level of skill. DC was just soloing and this loser was just tapping this drum like a preschooler. WTF was this guy doing on stage anyways?

That all being said, my neck is still sore from rocking out to 46&2, Flood, and Vicarious. Like sex, a subpar Tool show is still pretty good. But most everyone here, you can't help but feel ripped off and disappointed by their apathy towards mixing things up. Before this show I felt like Tool was an invincible God in my mind, but now I saw vulnerabilities in them and can't help but wonder if they're just going through the motions right now for a payday. Not seeing them again until a new album, and I hope the people in Salt Lake get a better show.

Last edited by The_Maestro; 07-19-2009 at 10:57 PM..
OFFLINE |  
BlairLicksTaint's Avatar BlairLicksTaint
07-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Maestro, You're right about that near disastrous section of Lateralus. I should have been clearer. I'm a drummer, so I hear everything else after I first hear the drumming. I only caught a few notes missed, but some of Danny's playing was very good, and he was solid most of the night. Some of the ad libbed fills he did were really amazing. I'm not sure who's fault that mess up was, but it was bad.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Maestro, You're right about that near disastrous section of Lateralus. I should have been clearer. I'm a drummer, so I hear everything else after I first hear the drumming. I only caught a few notes missed, but some of Danny's playing was very good, and he was solid most of the night. Some of the ad libbed fills he did were really amazing. I'm not sure who's fault that mess up was, but it was bad.
07-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Maestro View Post
...and can't help but wonder if they're just going through the motions right now for a payday.
I definitely felt that as well. I am not sure if they are doing it for the money, but they seemed bored or apathetic or simply not that into it. Even the goodbye/thanks-to-the-crowd seemed blah. I've spent the better part of my Sunday watching old performances of the Laterlus tours and re-remembering how much more energy and passion they used to put into a show. Since the 10,000 Days tours they haven't put together sequences like the Disposition/Reflection/Triad grouping where everything seemed to climax to key moments in those songs. And they don't have nearly as many little builds ups before the songs. I feel very fortunate to have been able to see them a few times during Lateralus because I keep going hoping that new shows will recapture part of that and it simply is not.

That said and like you said, the band will always play a special part in my life and I will always see them and be the Tool nerd that I am. And also like you said, I don't see them as the immortals I once viewed them as. But maybe that is my problem and maybe that is a good thing. ...

Last edited by Vincent_Alan; 07-19-2009 at 05:28 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
...and can't help but wonder if they're just going through the motions right now for a payday.
I definitely felt that as well. I am not sure if they are doing it for the money, but they seemed bored or apathetic or simply not that into it. Even the goodbye/thanks-to-the-crowd seemed blah. I've spent the better part of my Sunday watching old performances of the Laterlus tours and re-remembering how much more energy and passion they used to put into a show. Since the 10,000 Days tours they haven't put together sequences like the Disposition/Reflection/Triad grouping where everything seemed to climax to key moments in those songs. And they don't have nearly as many little builds ups before the songs. I feel very fortunate to have been able to see them a few times during Lateralus because I keep going hoping that new shows will recapture part of that and it simply is not.

That said and like you said, the band will always play a special part in my life and I will always see them and be the Tool nerd that I am. And also like you said, I don't see them as the immortals I once viewed them as. But maybe that is my problem and maybe that is a good thing. ...

Last edited by Vincent_Alan; 07-19-2009 at 05:28 PM..
OFFLINE |  
tremans
07-19-2009, 05:34 PM

haha, wow. yeah, sorry- I didn't go to the show to nitpick and over analyze every note that was played. I went to have a good time and listen to one of my favorite bands and I left having achieved that.

I can't help but be reminded of MJK's quote on his myspace page:
"CHECK YOUR OVER INFLATED EXPECTATIONS AT THE DOOR"
Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

haha, wow. yeah, sorry- I didn't go to the show to nitpick and over analyze every note that was played. I went to have a good time and listen to one of my favorite bands and I left having achieved that.

OFFLINE |  
07-19-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremans View Post

Don't let other peoples' observations sour your experience. It was a good show. I don't think anyone is saying the show wasn't, and I agree that we might be focusing on the negative too much, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out areas where the show lacked. I hope the band is doing just as many of us are because if you embrace the status quo you don't improve.

And if you have a positive spin then offer it. Bring the positive energy to the discussion. Complaining about peoples' complaints can hardly achieve your goal of celebrating what you felt was a good show.

And fuck MJK!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremans View Post

Don't let other peoples' observations sour your experience. It was a good show. I don't think anyone is saying the show wasn't, and I agree that we might be focusing on the negative too much, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out areas where the show lacked. I hope the band is doing just as many of us are because if you embrace the status quo you don't improve.

And if you have a positive spin then offer it. Bring the positive energy to the discussion. Complaining about peoples' complaints can hardly achieve your goal of celebrating what you felt was a good show.

And fuck MJK!
07-19-2009, 06:09 PM

agree with you tremans!!! Tool rocked and if you have a problem with the set list take it up with the guys and they will put you in your place..They were fucking loud louder than i have heard them play and this was number 6 for me and damnfool i heard maynard say micheal jacksons name too and something along the lines of 'you are worthless' after it not positive but thats what it sounded like, which is the greatest idea maynard has ever came up with if thats what he said cuz those first two verses are so hard to understand, i could see him slipping that in. Great show Jones was something else love it cant wait til wed!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

agree with you tremans!!! Tool rocked and if you have a problem with the set list take it up with the guys and they will put you in your place..They were fucking loud louder than i have heard them play and this was number 6 for me and damnfool i heard maynard say micheal jacksons name too and something along the lines of 'you are worthless' after it not positive but thats what it sounded like, which is the greatest idea maynard has ever came up with if thats what he said cuz those first two verses are so hard to understand, i could see him slipping that in. Great show Jones was something else love it cant wait til wed!!!
OFFLINE |  
The_Maestro
07-19-2009, 06:29 PM

Yes lets blindly praise a band for merely showing up to play. I'm as big of a Tool fan as anyone, but I'm not about turn a blind eye to a pattern which is straight-up disrespectful to true fans.

Expecting them to play different songs in the set in the past 4 years doesn't quite equal "overinflated expections". It's more like "expecting what every other band in the world does".

Last edited by The_Maestro; 07-19-2009 at 06:46 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

Yes lets blindly praise a band for merely showing up to play. I'm as big of a Tool fan as anyone, but I'm not about turn a blind eye to a pattern which is straight-up disrespectful to true fans.

Expecting them to play different songs in the set in the past 4 years doesn't quite equal "overinflated expections". It's more like "expecting what every other band in the world does".

Last edited by The_Maestro; 07-19-2009 at 06:46 PM..
OFFLINE |  
The_Maestro
07-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Next time I'm in AZ I will be sure to tell him "WTF man change it up".... right after I buy a bottle of his wine and whatever other sweet merch I can get my hands on.

He's only "comfortable" singing 10 songs out of their catalog? He's more "comfortable" singing a song about his mother to a crowd of 15,000 metal heads than "Eulogy" or "Parabola" or "H" or "Opiate"? I believe the word is "lazy".

Last edited by The_Maestro; 07-19-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Next time I'm in AZ I will be sure to tell him "WTF man change it up".... right after I buy a bottle of his wine and whatever other sweet merch I can get my hands on.

He's only "comfortable" singing 10 songs out of their catalog? He's more "comfortable" singing a song about his mother to a crowd of 15,000 metal heads than "Eulogy" or "Parabola" or "H" or "Opiate"? I believe the word is "lazy".

Last edited by The_Maestro; 07-19-2009 at 07:09 PM..
OFFLINE |  
BlairLicksTaint's Avatar BlairLicksTaint
07-19-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:

I agree with the first part and get your point, but the reason I've always dug Tool so much is because they never do what every other band in the world does. Now, this is a negative example of that, but I'm still glad they don't do what everyone else does.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I agree with the first part and get your point, but the reason I've always dug Tool so much is because they never do what every other band in the world does. Now, this is a negative example of that, but I'm still glad they don't do what everyone else does.
07-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Honestly, as a musician, I think playing a show "for the fans" is the highest form of selling out. We make music to express and please ourselves. If others like it, they can purchase it. But just because they do so doesn't mean we owe them jack shit. We didn't make the songs for them, we made them for us, to express our feelings. Therefore we should have the right to play whatever the hell we want to, whenever the hell we want to. If we feel like playing the same setlist as before, we will, and the fans have no right to complain. We're not jukeboxes or top 40 radio stations, we are musicians.

Even if we want to play our music just for the sake of making money, we still owe nothing to the fans. they can choose on their own free will whether or not to attend the show we're putting on. There were no promises of a different setlist ever, and only every indication by crew members such as junior that this tour would be more of the same with a few tweaks here and there. Tool has found a show that they feel wraps up their current state of mind well, and preaches the message they want to put across to the people. They should not have to change that just because a few diehards want to hear some shit from 15 years ago that we may or may not even care to play anymore. As I said, they can choose to come to the show if they like. They do not have to spend the money.

If a band were to say "new songs, new set, etc", and then deliver the same old setlist, that's a bit different, but in every way this tour was presented as an extension of the previous one, with little time to do things like rehearse a new setlist. Tool songs are amazingly complex and quite difficult to play as a band, and so sticking to the same setlist only makes sense considering most of the members have been very busy up to days before the tour was scheduled to begin. There simply was not enough time to rehearse doing a new setlist, not enough time for junior to rig up a whole new lighting experience, not enough time for a NEW tour. That can come after the release of the new album. For now, take this for what it actually is. An extension of the 10k days tour.

Also keep in mind, it isn't just about rehearsing old songs. Tool often (like we see with schism, lateralus, and stinkfist lately) changes up their songs live, so those changes need to be written and well rehearsed so they don't fuck up every time they try to present them to you. Also, Tool's stage production must also be created to accompany their music, and there just wasn't enough time to render new video for the screens, rig a new light/laser show, and so on for a new setlist. That is why they HAD to stick to the one they already had prepared for the last tour. There just wasn't enough time to create a new tour, so quit expecting one.

Last edited by frosty nugs; 07-19-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Honestly, as a musician, I think playing a show "for the fans" is the highest form of selling out. We make music to express and please ourselves. If others like it, they can purchase it. But just because they do so doesn't mean we owe them jack shit. We didn't make the songs for them, we made them for us, to express our feelings. Therefore we should have the right to play whatever the hell we want to, whenever the hell we want to. If we feel like playing the same setlist as before, we will, and the fans have no right to complain. We're not jukeboxes or top 40 radio stations, we are musicians.

Even if we want to play our music just for the sake of making money, we still owe nothing to the fans. they can choose on their own free will whether or not to attend the show we're putting on. There were no promises of a different setlist ever, and only every indication by crew members such as junior that this tour would be more of the same with a few tweaks here and there. Tool has found a show that they feel wraps up their current state of mind well, and preaches the message they want to put across to the people. They should not have to change that just because a few diehards want to hear some shit from 15 years ago that we may or may not even care to play anymore. As I said, they can choose to come to the show if they like. They do not have to spend the money.

If a band were to say "new songs, new set, etc", and then deliver the same old setlist, that's a bit different, but in every way this tour was presented as an extension of the previous one, with little time to do things like rehearse a new setlist. Tool songs are amazingly complex and quite difficult to play as a band, and so sticking to the same setlist only makes sense considering most of the members have been very busy up to days before the tour was scheduled to begin. There simply was not enough time to rehearse doing a new setlist, not enough time for junior to rig up a whole new lighting experience, not enough time for a NEW tour. That can come after the release of the new album. For now, take this for what it actually is. An extension of the 10k days tour.

Also keep in mind, it isn't just about rehearsing old songs. Tool often (like we see with schism, lateralus, and stinkfist lately) changes up their songs live, so those changes need to be written and well rehearsed so they don't fuck up every time they try to present them to you. Also, Tool's stage production must also be created to accompany their music, and there just wasn't enough time to render new video for the screens, rig a new light/laser show, and so on for a new setlist. That is why they HAD to stick to the one they already had prepared for the last tour. There just wasn't enough time to create a new tour, so quit expecting one.

Last edited by frosty nugs; 07-19-2009 at 08:35 PM..
OFFLINE |  
s0me0nesmind1
07-19-2009, 09:37 PM

Respectively disagree frosty nugs -

Sorry, but me - as the fans are who you please. First, i'll just counter with who the fuck would want to do the same setlist for as much as close to 40 shows. I understand your music can be close to you, but I also guarantee there's plenty more deep meaning behind every other tool song. I just want some Parabola / Disposition / Reflection / Push It / Eulogy / H. But I guess that's asking too much to play some old music mixed? Or just keep promoting your last album since it was released almost 4 years ago. Ridiculous. Thats the first arguement - second is simply you are wrong. The fans are who you owe your fucking career to. Without me. Without you. Buying your merchandise. Buying your overpriced concert tickets. What the fuck got you to where you are now? They had 2 years to prepare for a tour, and don't act like they were busy - especially Maynard with his retarded wine and Puscifer bullshits.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

Respectively disagree frosty nugs -

Sorry, but me - as the fans are who you please. First, i'll just counter with who the fuck would want to do the same setlist for as much as close to 40 shows. I understand your music can be close to you, but I also guarantee there's plenty more deep meaning behind every other tool song. I just want some Parabola / Disposition / Reflection / Push It / Eulogy / H. But I guess that's asking too much to play some old music mixed? Or just keep promoting your last album since it was released almost 4 years ago. Ridiculous. Thats the first arguement - second is simply you are wrong. The fans are who you owe your fucking career to. Without me. Without you. Buying your merchandise. Buying your overpriced concert tickets. What the fuck got you to where you are now? They had 2 years to prepare for a tour, and don't act like they were busy - especially Maynard with his retarded wine and Puscifer bullshits.
OFFLINE |  
The_Maestro
07-19-2009, 10:13 PM

Frosty nugs- Don't confuse playing a show "for the fans" and making "music for the fans". Tool has such a devoted following because they write unconventional music that speaks to people, they write it for their own self-satisfaction and people happen to dig it as well. That's being a true artist.

BUT here's the point everyone's making, if you play the same goddamn set over and again then they OBVIOUSLY aren't playing for THEMSELVES or THE FANS. They're playing for the $$$$$. Read the reviews from the Salt Lake show, another sloppy performance that Maynard wasn't even into. If you're not into the show, then why hell are they touring? Because they LOVED that same setlist they've played so much and just HAD to play it for the ART of it? I don't think so. You can't defend these shows based on artistic integrity because it's simply not true.

And your other points have no merit either. Tool has world class musicianship all around, so rehearsing the songs that THEY WROTE should take 10 rehearsals at most to get them nailed 100% tight. Rosetta Stoned is their 2nd longest and arguably most complex song from a musical standpoint (tons of odd times, weird arrangement, polyrhythms at the end, etc.) so you'd think that an objectively easier song from Aenima or Undertow could be easily rehearsed and thrown in. Fuck, I can play any of their songs on guitar or bass... they're not THAT hard. DC's parts are the hardest but he's an animal and could pick it up easily, even if it's not the same as on the album. Especially when you have a TWO YEAR layoff between tours... you don't think that's enough time to create a new live show? Honestly??? Again, the lighting guys are world-class so you'd think they could come up with some images and cues that would work very easily.

The real reason is laziness, pure and simple. And I would bet anyone that Maynard needs some extra cash to dump into his little vineyard and that's the only reason they're touring at all.

Here's the big point for people complaining here. We've spent alot of time and money into this band, and most of us have a very real emotional connection. For that, they deserve all the recognition and success they've gotten. And in this would where you can't really count on anyone, where everyone lets you down at one time or another... there's this band that never lets you down. You can always count on them to give you truth and beauty in a way you never would of imagined... to give you a release from the world, and to give you certainty. But when that band lets you down, when they show you they don't really give a shit about you, when they show you that all they really care about is your money... and be assured, it is about money, well then you just have to ask yourself: what's the fucking point?

Last edited by The_Maestro; 07-19-2009 at 10:58 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

Frosty nugs- Don't confuse playing a show "for the fans" and making "music for the fans". Tool has such a devoted following because they write unconventional music that speaks to people, they write it for their own self-satisfaction and people happen to dig it as well. That's being a true artist.

BUT here's the point everyone's making, if you play the same goddamn set over and again then they OBVIOUSLY aren't playing for THEMSELVES or THE FANS. They're playing for the $$$$$. Read the reviews from the Salt Lake show, another sloppy performance that Maynard wasn't even into. If you're not into the show, then why hell are they touring? Because they LOVED that same setlist they've played so much and just HAD to play it for the ART of it? I don't think so. You can't defend these shows based on artistic integrity because it's simply not true.

And your other points have no merit either. Tool has world class musicianship all around, so rehearsing the songs that THEY WROTE should take 10 rehearsals at most to get them nailed 100% tight. Rosetta Stoned is their 2nd longest and arguably most complex song from a musical standpoint (tons of odd times, weird arrangement, polyrhythms at the end, etc.) so you'd think that an objectively easier song from Aenima or Undertow could be easily rehearsed and thrown in. Fuck, I can play any of their songs on guitar or bass... they're not THAT hard. DC's parts are the hardest but he's an animal and could pick it up easily, even if it's not the same as on the album. Especially when you have a TWO YEAR layoff between tours... you don't think that's enough time to create a new live show? Honestly??? Again, the lighting guys are world-class so you'd think they could come up with some images and cues that would work very easily.

The real reason is laziness, pure and simple. And I would bet anyone that Maynard needs some extra cash to dump into his little vineyard and that's the only reason they're touring at all.

Here's the big point for people complaining here. We've spent alot of time and money into this band, and most of us have a very real emotional connection. For that, they deserve all the recognition and success they've gotten. And in this would where you can't really count on anyone, where everyone lets you down at one time or another... there's this band that never lets you down. You can always count on them to give you truth and beauty in a way you never would of imagined... to give you a release from the world, and to give you certainty. But when that band lets you down, when they show you they don't really give a shit about you, when they show you that all they really care about is your money... and be assured, it is about money, well then you just have to ask yourself: what's the fucking point?

Last edited by The_Maestro; 07-19-2009 at 10:58 PM..
OFFLINE |  
kabir's Avatar kabir
07-19-2009, 11:44 PM

REMINDER: people are clicking through to here from http://toolshed.down.net/tour to see reviews of the show.

please keep this thread focused on reviews of this show, and not random complaining.

and be nice to junior.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
Old 07-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #28
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116

REMINDER: people are clicking through to here from http://toolshed.down.net/tour to see reviews of the show.

please keep this thread focused on reviews of this show, and not random complaining.

and be nice to junior.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
OFFLINE |  
garion333
07-20-2009, 05:51 AM

Setlist was a tad boring, but I was happy to hear a full Flood. I quite enjoyed the show, though if there hadn't been a break between the last time I saw them and now, I would've been quite upset at the setlist. Since it's been a couple years, I was happy to just take it all in.

The jam-like intros were noticeably long, but I assume this is because it's the beginning of the tour. They all need a few moments to get things set up and whatnot. Or they're just f-ing with us. Could be both.

I had a great time clearing out some negative energy as nothing vibrates my spinal cord like Tool. Was it worth the price of admission just to see them (~$100), probably not, but I enjoyed some other performances too, so I'm happy with how it all turned out.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

Setlist was a tad boring, but I was happy to hear a full Flood. I quite enjoyed the show, though if there hadn't been a break between the last time I saw them and now, I would've been quite upset at the setlist. Since it's been a couple years, I was happy to just take it all in.

The jam-like intros were noticeably long, but I assume this is because it's the beginning of the tour. They all need a few moments to get things set up and whatnot. Or they're just f-ing with us. Could be both.

I had a great time clearing out some negative energy as nothing vibrates my spinal cord like Tool. Was it worth the price of admission just to see them (~$100), probably not, but I enjoyed some other performances too, so I'm happy with how it all turned out.
OFFLINE |  
frosty nugs
07-20-2009, 08:30 AM

I already pointed out that it isn't just about the band rehearsing the songs, but also the video projections being created for new songs, lighting, etc. It's a complete package. As junior said, he's been touring with duran duran lately so I doubt he's had all that much time to invest into his end of the deal, and that doesn't even include the guy controlling the video projections or the people who create the content that is being projected (which is rather complex in itself). This isn't just about Tool, but the entire show as a whole. Everyone has been busy doing their own thing lately. so there really wasn't all that much time to invest in a new experience. Save that for the new album. Believe me, I want to see a new show just as much as you do, but I understand why they chose not to. Sure, there has been a 2 year layover, but how do you know that they didn't just recently decide to do this? That throws that 2 years out the window.

Last edited by frosty nugs; 07-20-2009 at 08:32 AM..
Old 07-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

I already pointed out that it isn't just about the band rehearsing the songs, but also the video projections being created for new songs, lighting, etc. It's a complete package. As junior said, he's been touring with duran duran lately so I doubt he's had all that much time to invest into his end of the deal, and that doesn't even include the guy controlling the video projections or the people who create the content that is being projected (which is rather complex in itself). This isn't just about Tool, but the entire show as a whole. Everyone has been busy doing their own thing lately. so there really wasn't all that much time to invest in a new experience. Save that for the new album. Believe me, I want to see a new show just as much as you do, but I understand why they chose not to. Sure, there has been a 2 year layover, but how do you know that they didn't just recently decide to do this? That throws that 2 years out the window.

Last edited by frosty nugs; 07-20-2009 at 08:32 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Shmooove's Avatar Shmooove
07-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Tool was ... Tool. Best way to describe the show was there were no surprises. Same set list from the previous tour. They could (and IMO should) have mixed it up, but no. Same (mostly) tight playing. There were flubs - anyone else catch Justin's missing note on the 46&2 intro - but when they are dialed in, they are incredible to listen to.

Having seen them over time, there is no question this is the weakest Maynard has ever sounded to me. And this is completely reasonable and understandable: he is getting older and still trying to sing like he is in his 20's/30's. It was very difficult to hear him in the mix last night, which was similar to last tour. He used effects, including octive adjusters, more than I have heard. Honestly, I believe his vocal limitations are a driving force behind their setlists. But it makes me wonder why a D/R/T, or other less vocally challenging material, isn't throw in. Win-win for band and fans.

They had plenty of new visuals for the songs which were obviously what they considered different from 2007. On the whole they were well done.

Overall, a decent show. But for someone who has been seeing them since 1993 it was a bit disappointing. I was secretly hoping for an H or Third Eye, to be honest, but I had enough sense to know it wasn't coming. Ah well.

To fans who say the band is this is noticably about the money now, at least they had the decency to warn us in advance. "Buy my new record, Send more money, Fuck you buddy." HWaP

My final thoughts are this:

- Previous to this show I saw Tool every chance I got. It was a no brainer. I was contented to be a self-aware sucker.

- After this show, I will no longer be suckling on the Tool Teat. I may see them if/when they have new material, and if I do then probably only once. The myth is diminished. For me, the tools for internal growth and change that they have provided me lay within their past work, not their present.

Oh - and I cannot believe I am saying this but for me it is true - Widespread Panic, who I have never cared for in the least, definitely stole the festival show. A bit too jammy for me, but incredibly tight musicianship. I feel dirty even thinking it.
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

Location: Sitting on top of a lonely mountain in the middle of a frozen desert, dreaming of a beach.
Bincount™: 1

Tool was ... Tool. Best way to describe the show was there were no surprises. Same set list from the previous tour. They could (and IMO should) have mixed it up, but no. Same (mostly) tight playing. There were flubs - anyone else catch Justin's missing note on the 46&2 intro - but when they are dialed in, they are incredible to listen to.

Having seen them over time, there is no question this is the weakest Maynard has ever sounded to me. And this is completely reasonable and understandable: he is getting older and still trying to sing like he is in his 20's/30's. It was very difficult to hear him in the mix last night, which was similar to last tour. He used effects, including octive adjusters, more than I have heard. Honestly, I believe his vocal limitations are a driving force behind their setlists. But it makes me wonder why a D/R/T, or other less vocally challenging material, isn't throw in. Win-win for band and fans.

They had plenty of new visuals for the songs which were obviously what they considered different from 2007. On the whole they were well done.

Overall, a decent show. But for someone who has been seeing them since 1993 it was a bit disappointing. I was secretly hoping for an H or Third Eye, to be honest, but I had enough sense to know it wasn't coming. Ah well.

To fans who say the band is this is noticably about the money now, at least they had the decency to warn us in advance. "Buy my new record, Send more money, Fuck you buddy." HWaP

My final thoughts are this:

- Previous to this show I saw Tool every chance I got. It was a no brainer. I was contented to be a self-aware sucker.

- After this show, I will no longer be suckling on the Tool Teat. I may see them if/when they have new material, and if I do then probably only once. The myth is diminished. For me, the tools for internal growth and change that they have provided me lay within their past work, not their present.

Oh - and I cannot believe I am saying this but for me it is true - Widespread Panic, who I have never cared for in the least, definitely stole the festival show. A bit too jammy for me, but incredibly tight musicianship. I feel dirty even thinking it.
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

Sir Winston Churchill
OFFLINE |  
MileHiCarbs
07-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Many have alluded to this in previous posts but the simple fact is they were not ready to play this show. It was the worst Tool show I have ever seen or imagined I could see. Wineard was no where close to being able to sing even their most standard setlist. He kept pulling off notes and had no intention of letting loose for fear of his voice cracking after 2 years of not exercising it. There was obviously not much rehearsal or time put in prior to this show. No doubt the band will admit this. Not a suprise due to the wine tour and everyone else doing there own thing over the past year and months. Wineard's voice was giving out half way through the 10k days tour, everybody complained about same setlist back then too. Being away for two years with no reason to practice just made it worse.

I can understand bad vocals but the biggest suprise was the how the overall sound just plain sucked compared to anything I've ever heard at a Tool concert. One thing I had always come to expect was great sound and the ability of sound guy to turn up the bass, guitar, drums, and vocals at the right time. This did not happen. Worst sound ever. Seemed like the wind was blowing the sounds around and it never came out right, very inconsistent the whole show. I was right next to the soundboard to the left, which is usually a great spot for for any show, but suprisingly it was awful. I was in same spot for Incubus and they sounded crisp and clear so go figure.

Botton line is this is a basic, nothing new, unrehearsed, play it as safe as possible Tool show/tour. Very obvious the band played extended intros and Flood to kill as much time as possible so Wineard could sing as little as possible.

Maybe it will clean up as they play more and more over the next couple weeks but prepare yourself, it WILL be substandard.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Many have alluded to this in previous posts but the simple fact is they were not ready to play this show. It was the worst Tool show I have ever seen or imagined I could see. Wineard was no where close to being able to sing even their most standard setlist. He kept pulling off notes and had no intention of letting loose for fear of his voice cracking after 2 years of not exercising it. There was obviously not much rehearsal or time put in prior to this show. No doubt the band will admit this. Not a suprise due to the wine tour and everyone else doing there own thing over the past year and months. Wineard's voice was giving out half way through the 10k days tour, everybody complained about same setlist back then too. Being away for two years with no reason to practice just made it worse.

I can understand bad vocals but the biggest suprise was the how the overall sound just plain sucked compared to anything I've ever heard at a Tool concert. One thing I had always come to expect was great sound and the ability of sound guy to turn up the bass, guitar, drums, and vocals at the right time. This did not happen. Worst sound ever. Seemed like the wind was blowing the sounds around and it never came out right, very inconsistent the whole show. I was right next to the soundboard to the left, which is usually a great spot for for any show, but suprisingly it was awful. I was in same spot for Incubus and they sounded crisp and clear so go figure.

Botton line is this is a basic, nothing new, unrehearsed, play it as safe as possible Tool show/tour. Very obvious the band played extended intros and Flood to kill as much time as possible so Wineard could sing as little as possible.

Maybe it will clean up as they play more and more over the next couple weeks but prepare yourself, it WILL be substandard.
OFFLINE |  
tanner's Avatar tanner
07-20-2009, 01:55 PM

The band sounded amazing as always.

The festival setting was the only negative aspect to my experience. The majority of the crowd must of spent too many hours roasting in the sun and consuming eight dollar beers.

There were far too many people singing along with every song and screaming "FUCKING TOOL" throughout the entirety of the show.

The highlight for me was Rosetta Stoned because it was the only song that all the drunk assholes didn't attempt to sing.

Did anyone else hear Maynard sing "Like I woke up in Neverland"?

I wish I could pay the band for a DVD of live performances as I wait for another mind blowing psychedelic experience in a more intimate setting like the 2006 small venue tour.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

The band sounded amazing as always.

The festival setting was the only negative aspect to my experience. The majority of the crowd must of spent too many hours roasting in the sun and consuming eight dollar beers.

There were far too many people singing along with every song and screaming "FUCKING TOOL" throughout the entirety of the show.

The highlight for me was Rosetta Stoned because it was the only song that all the drunk assholes didn't attempt to sing.

Did anyone else hear Maynard sing "Like I woke up in Neverland"?

I wish I could pay the band for a DVD of live performances as I wait for another mind blowing psychedelic experience in a more intimate setting like the 2006 small venue tour.
OFFLINE |  
yac03's Avatar yac03
07-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Artists...make art to purge, to express, to introspect...basically to make themselves feel good through what they believe to be beautiful. It is coincidence when one's art speaks to another person. The artist then has no obligation to further elaborate to the listener...anything.

However, should this artist choose to exploit this coincidental connection by selling it to the entire world the integrity with which the artist has built their genuinely unique reputation becomes compromised. The artist then makes a choice: evolve or cash out.

Artists evolve. Authors, painters, musicians, carpenters, dancers, sculptors, weavers, chefs, wine makers... whatever.

Fans know what they want and they give an artist opportunities to make a living doing what they love to do. In this case...a substantial living. Seems to be a pretty stellar alternative to having a day job with an expensive hobby. Fans deserve the love, adoration and dedication they pour into this art they themselves are not able (for whatever reason i.e. time, motivation, means) to create.

The artists have lots to say. The fans become the voice. Sometimes we might miss the message, sometimes we can be overbearing and obnoxious. But we're doing our best.

Tool have been without question one of the greatest American musical acts of the last two generations. That's why we're here. We LOVE these four guys. We relate to a message, we appreciate their musicianship, we are awestruck by what they put on a screen, we throw our hands up and scream and cry and stand in line through the night to buy their records, we get our shit beat in to get close enough to them to see their faces, we buy wine and download their side projects...because they're in Tool. We are invested in what they do because right now we can't do it any better. Maybe some of us might be able to at some point. But right now here we are and there they go.

We don't have to pay for a ticket, or a record, or a t-shirt, or get our shit beat in. They don't have to throw together shows that they aren't prepared to play.

"Send more money. Fuck you buddy?"
"Maybe you should...fuck yourself."

We love TOOL. They can love us back.

Last edited by yac03; 07-20-2009 at 11:12 PM..
Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Artists...make art to purge, to express, to introspect...basically to make themselves feel good through what they believe to be beautiful. It is coincidence when one's art speaks to another person. The artist then has no obligation to further elaborate to the listener...anything.

However, should this artist choose to exploit this coincidental connection by selling it to the entire world the integrity with which the artist has built their genuinely unique reputation becomes compromised. The artist then makes a choice: evolve or cash out.

Artists evolve. Authors, painters, musicians, carpenters, dancers, sculptors, weavers, chefs, wine makers... whatever.

Fans know what they want and they give an artist opportunities to make a living doing what they love to do. In this case...a substantial living. Seems to be a pretty stellar alternative to having a day job with an expensive hobby. Fans deserve the love, adoration and dedication they pour into this art they themselves are not able (for whatever reason i.e. time, motivation, means) to create.

The artists have lots to say. The fans become the voice. Sometimes we might miss the message, sometimes we can be overbearing and obnoxious. But we're doing our best.

Tool have been without question one of the greatest American musical acts of the last two generations. That's why we're here. We LOVE these four guys. We relate to a message, we appreciate their musicianship, we are awestruck by what they put on a screen, we throw our hands up and scream and cry and stand in line through the night to buy their records, we get our shit beat in to get close enough to them to see their faces, we buy wine and download their side projects...because they're in Tool. We are invested in what they do because right now we can't do it any better. Maybe some of us might be able to at some point. But right now here we are and there they go.

We don't have to pay for a ticket, or a record, or a t-shirt, or get our shit beat in. They don't have to throw together shows that they aren't prepared to play.

"Send more money. Fuck you buddy?"
"Maybe you should...fuck yourself."

We love TOOL. They can love us back.

Last edited by yac03; 07-20-2009 at 11:12 PM..
OFFLINE |  
valhalla
07-21-2009, 08:59 AM

+1

Excellent post.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

+1

Excellent post.
OFFLINE |  
k33pd1gg1ng
07-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Nothing new?
- talkbox on Stinkfist (can't remember if he did this on 10k tour, but it rocked anyway)
- new Rosetta Stoned megaphone lyrics
- some interesting interludes between songs that are probably the seeds of new material (like how they played around with 10k Days/Wings melodies during the Lateralus tour)
- great improv by Adam & Danny
- lots of freaky new visuals

The sound was my biggest complaint. It sounded like the feeds from the stage weren't mixed together at a high enough level. Lots of high-end static & signal distortion, no thumping bass. So I couldn't hear Justin AT ALL, but the others seemed to play very well. Yeah, there was a mishap with Lateralus - but they pulled out of it, which is impressive.

Hopefully they'll switch up the setlist. For now it's just good to see them playing together again. A new album will bring a new tour with a new setlist.

Last edited by k33pd1gg1ng; 07-21-2009 at 11:30 AM..
Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Nothing new?
- talkbox on Stinkfist (can't remember if he did this on 10k tour, but it rocked anyway)
- new Rosetta Stoned megaphone lyrics
- some interesting interludes between songs that are probably the seeds of new material (like how they played around with 10k Days/Wings melodies during the Lateralus tour)
- great improv by Adam & Danny
- lots of freaky new visuals

The sound was my biggest complaint. It sounded like the feeds from the stage weren't mixed together at a high enough level. Lots of high-end static & signal distortion, no thumping bass. So I couldn't hear Justin AT ALL, but the others seemed to play very well. Yeah, there was a mishap with Lateralus - but they pulled out of it, which is impressive.

Hopefully they'll switch up the setlist. For now it's just good to see them playing together again. A new album will bring a new tour with a new setlist.

Last edited by k33pd1gg1ng; 07-21-2009 at 11:30 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Ag3nt_0rang3
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM

I went to the Mile High Festival mainly to see Tool and was amazed as usual. I've seen them 5 times and the last time i saw them was at the Pepsi Center. After reading all the reviews it got me to thing and the Pepsi Center show's setlist was nearly identical. They haven't come out with new material in about 4 years which is fine. I am will to wait for an album that is will be well written and made from the heart and not for the money, S*@t i would wait 6 years for a new album and not feel bad that they haven't come out with one earlier. For so many fans feel let down by one of the most innovative bans to come out in about past 10,000 days makes me want to cry. They have too much material to come up with the same set over again. I know that they all have other thing they are doing. They can't be only involved Tool, but I would rather see them "PLAY FROM THE F*@KING HEART!" -Bill Hicks- and do it bad than then put out the same set, because it still would be an great show. Tool's shows have always been about the whole package, videos, visuals, and music all in one. Something you cant get out of a CD/tape/vinyl and that is why we sit all day to hear Tool. (at Red Rocks from 10 in the morning for a night show to get a good seat or in the middle park in the hot sun) . after seeing, Incubus's show although I'm not a fan of them all i heard was a regurgitated radio set live, I was pumped to hear Tool and got what i came for. Having said all this I will need to see the rest of the setlist to know were Tools future with me lies, will have another post.
I hope I am completely making an ass of my self questiong their integrate
Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

I went to the Mile High Festival mainly to see Tool and was amazed as usual. I've seen them 5 times and the last time i saw them was at the Pepsi Center. After reading all the reviews it got me to thing and the Pepsi Center show's setlist was nearly identical. They haven't come out with new material in about 4 years which is fine. I am will to wait for an album that is will be well written and made from the heart and not for the money, S*@t i would wait 6 years for a new album and not feel bad that they haven't come out with one earlier. For so many fans feel let down by one of the most innovative bans to come out in about past 10,000 days makes me want to cry. They have too much material to come up with the same set over again. I know that they all have other thing they are doing. They can't be only involved Tool, but I would rather see them "PLAY FROM THE F*@KING HEART!" -Bill Hicks- and do it bad than then put out the same set, because it still would be an great show. Tool's shows have always been about the whole package, videos, visuals, and music all in one. Something you cant get out of a CD/tape/vinyl and that is why we sit all day to hear Tool. (at Red Rocks from 10 in the morning for a night show to get a good seat or in the middle park in the hot sun) . after seeing, Incubus's show although I'm not a fan of them all i heard was a regurgitated radio set live, I was pumped to hear Tool and got what i came for. Having said all this I will need to see the rest of the setlist to know were Tools future with me lies, will have another post.
I hope I am completely making an ass of my self questiong their integrate
OFFLINE |  
ChachiTron5000
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM

I am seriously conflicted about this one.

This was my 18th Tool show, going all the way back to '93. From Poughkeepsie to New Orleans to Denver (I'm from eastern Iowa), I've always been willing to go the distance for these guys. I drove 12+ hours each way to get to this show. Tool has been, and always will be one of the greatest inspirations in my life, and I can't thank them enough for what they have given to me.

The energy at the show was great. The crowd was great- I've been impressed with the Denver folks both times I've been there. Kudos to you all.

This was my fiancee's first Tool show. I've tried in vain to explain to her the power and majesty of the live Tool experience. She was blown away. There is something very intangible and special about this experience, and she felt it too. She described it as 'the coolest show I've ever seen.'

On a selfish note, all I really wanted out of this night was to hold her close to me during Wings/10,000 Days. To feel the power of that piece move through us and bring us closer together. After going through some miserable personal shit right before the '06/'07 dates that I caught... I just wanted to share that with someone that I love, now that I'm a position to do so. If you saw that piece when they did it last, I think you will understand. It truly was remarkable.

But...

I understand that it's not up to me to pick my dream set list.

I understand that it was a festival and the time frames were shorter (although apparently that's not really the issue here, after reading the SLC reviews).

I understand that there is a high level of production and coordination involved with the quality of performance that they do. They can't just 'wing it', haha.

I understand that Maynard may have personal reservations about doing Wings. It's obviously a profoundly personal piece.

I understand that they don't have a new album to support, or any new material to showcase, for that matter.

What I just can not understand is the complete regurgitation that made up this set list. It simply boggles my mind.

I am not ungrateful; I love this band and everything they do. As far as I'm concerned, they do it better than any other band I've seen, and I've been lucky enough to see a lot of great bands. And this was another great show by my favorite band.

But, in spite of that... Here I sit, seriously contemplating just skipping Chicago, which is practically a hometown show for me. Last week I would have thought that impossible.

Quote:
I felt like I was caught in some kind of fucked up Nietzschean eternal recurrance joke by the band.
Too funny, and sadly, too true.

"Something kind of sad about the way things have grown to be", indeed.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

I am seriously conflicted about this one.

This was my 18th Tool show, going all the way back to '93. From Poughkeepsie to New Orleans to Denver (I'm from eastern Iowa), I've always been willing to go the distance for these guys. I drove 12+ hours each way to get to this show. Tool has been, and always will be one of the greatest inspirations in my life, and I can't thank them enough for what they have given to me.

The energy at the show was great. The crowd was great- I've been impressed with the Denver folks both times I've been there. Kudos to you all.

This was my fiancee's first Tool show. I've tried in vain to explain to her the power and majesty of the live Tool experience. She was blown away. There is something very intangible and special about this experience, and she felt it too. She described it as 'the coolest show I've ever seen.'

On a selfish note, all I really wanted out of this night was to hold her close to me during Wings/10,000 Days. To feel the power of that piece move through us and bring us closer together. After going through some miserable personal shit right before the '06/'07 dates that I caught... I just wanted to share that with someone that I love, now that I'm a position to do so. If you saw that piece when they did it last, I think you will understand. It truly was remarkable.

But...

I understand that it's not up to me to pick my dream set list.

I understand that it was a festival and the time frames were shorter (although apparently that's not really the issue here, after reading the SLC reviews).

I understand that there is a high level of production and coordination involved with the quality of performance that they do. They can't just 'wing it', haha.

I understand that Maynard may have personal reservations about doing Wings. It's obviously a profoundly personal piece.

I understand that they don't have a new album to support, or any new material to showcase, for that matter.

What I just can not understand is the complete regurgitation that made up this set list. It simply boggles my mind.

I am not ungrateful; I love this band and everything they do. As far as I'm concerned, they do it better than any other band I've seen, and I've been lucky enough to see a lot of great bands. And this was another great show by my favorite band.

But, in spite of that... Here I sit, seriously contemplating just skipping Chicago, which is practically a hometown show for me. Last week I would have thought that impossible.

Quote:
I felt like I was caught in some kind of fucked up Nietzschean eternal recurrance joke by the band.
Too funny, and sadly, too true.

"Something kind of sad about the way things have grown to be", indeed.
OFFLINE |  
JBToolFan
07-21-2009, 08:02 PM

What the fuck? I cannot believe the Tool show that I witnessed in Denver. What happened to y'all? How fucking dare you treat us like you treated us! Who do you think that you are? I came all the way from Tyler. Texas primarily to see Tool play. I guess that makes me the fucking sucker. Unfortunately, for me I actually believed that I was coming to see a band that actually understood the fact that it is the fans that made them who they are today. Is it so impossible to understand that the music makes sense in people's souls. Tools music is everything to a lot of people. It speaks to people in a way that nothing else does. You failed us! Maynard did not even sing! I was questioning if that was even him on stage. I feel sorry for anyone who cared enough about Tool to wait around for the band that they thought that they loved and for the band that we thought loved us too. You treated us like we were fucking less then people. Like we were so stupid that we would not realize what was going on. Well, we fucking got it. You played us for fools. Bravo! Well fucking done! We believed in you and you failed to live up anything that even comes close to the admiration that we have built up for you. Maynard is an arrogant prick! Turn around and sing to the crowd! Yeah, thats right, we did not even really see the front of Maynard. What happened to you man? I came with two people that have never seen them before. Two hard core fans, and they even recognized that the show blew huge balls. What happened to the old shit? What happend to the creative geniuses we thought you were? Tool is just as bad as the fucking Jonas Brothers. However, at least the Jonas Brothers know what their fans want to hear, and they play it. You hear that Maynard? You are worse than the fucking Jonas Brothers! I hope that Tool reads this. Because I love Tool, and I want them to change. Please, Please, Please find yourselves again.
P.s. Danny Carrey was the only cool one. Thanks for looking like you gave a shit.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

What the fuck? I cannot believe the Tool show that I witnessed in Denver. What happened to y'all? How fucking dare you treat us like you treated us! Who do you think that you are? I came all the way from Tyler. Texas primarily to see Tool play. I guess that makes me the fucking sucker. Unfortunately, for me I actually believed that I was coming to see a band that actually understood the fact that it is the fans that made them who they are today. Is it so impossible to understand that the music makes sense in people's souls. Tools music is everything to a lot of people. It speaks to people in a way that nothing else does. You failed us! Maynard did not even sing! I was questioning if that was even him on stage. I feel sorry for anyone who cared enough about Tool to wait around for the band that they thought that they loved and for the band that we thought loved us too. You treated us like we were fucking less then people. Like we were so stupid that we would not realize what was going on. Well, we fucking got it. You played us for fools. Bravo! Well fucking done! We believed in you and you failed to live up anything that even comes close to the admiration that we have built up for you. Maynard is an arrogant prick! Turn around and sing to the crowd! Yeah, thats right, we did not even really see the front of Maynard. What happened to you man? I came with two people that have never seen them before. Two hard core fans, and they even recognized that the show blew huge balls. What happened to the old shit? What happend to the creative geniuses we thought you were? Tool is just as bad as the fucking Jonas Brothers. However, at least the Jonas Brothers know what their fans want to hear, and they play it. You hear that Maynard? You are worse than the fucking Jonas Brothers! I hope that Tool reads this. Because I love Tool, and I want them to change. Please, Please, Please find yourselves again.
P.s. Danny Carrey was the only cool one. Thanks for looking like you gave a shit.
OFFLINE |  
07-21-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBToolFan View Post
Maynard is an arrogant prick! Turn around and sing to the crowd! Yeah, thats right, we did not even really see the front of Maynard. What happened to you man?
Dude, he has always done that. I've never known May Jay to spend more than a few minutes facing the crowd -- and even then it is more profile than facing the crowd.

It sucks you feel this way, man, but while I have a few complaints, it was still the same Tool that have done what they do forever. I do not think they had a feeling that you were coming and after discussion May Jay said "fuck that guy" and decided to face the screens. That's his shtick homie. ...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #40
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBToolFan View Post
Maynard is an arrogant prick! Turn around and sing to the crowd! Yeah, thats right, we did not even really see the front of Maynard. What happened to you man?
Dude, he has always done that. I've never known May Jay to spend more than a few minutes facing the crowd -- and even then it is more profile than facing the crowd.

It sucks you feel this way, man, but while I have a few complaints, it was still the same Tool that have done what they do forever. I do not think they had a feeling that you were coming and after discussion May Jay said "fuck that guy" and decided to face the screens. That's his shtick homie. ...
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply