Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Tachyon
06-05-2006, 06:33 AM

Not a drummer. But I love the details on Reflection. The two clicks with his sticks or someting like it.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:33 AM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Re: Hardest Song to play on drums?

Not a drummer. But I love the details on Reflection. The two clicks with his sticks or someting like it.
06-05-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
Some good opinions in this thread, but as a drummer of 34 years, on 10K Days Rosetta may very well be the most impressive. But Jambi and Vicarious, let's just say there's not a whole lot that is easy about those tunes, either. There's not an easy drumming song on any of their last two CDs. As a point of relativity, most of Undertow is real doable, less than half of Aenima is doable (but boy, Pushit sure is fun) and Lateralus just propelled Danny (or Danny took Lateralus) to a new dimension of his own drumming. And this CD goes at least a step or two beyond anything he has recorded with anyone including Lateralus. And he knows it. This man has fucking worked his tail off to become better and he is now without a doubt one of the top drummers in the world. No surprise. 46&2 is a great song, but the drum solo is not all that impressive, or, I shoud say, not as hard as it looks in either listening to it or watching him from 20-30 feet away doing it. Some of the off-time hi-hat things he does in the verses of that song are more impressive than that drum solo, IMO. I don't even yet have the nerve to try drumming to ANY of this current CD. It will be awhile. Lots of subtleties in Jambi that most non-drummers cannot comprehend or appreciate. I see nothing mentioned about that most awesome song or the (pehaps overplayed) Vicarious. All instruments and vocals shine on that song, sick as some may be of hearing it on radio (I don't listen to radio, thank God). Rosetta is unbelievable and I am so glad I got to see them do it in Chicago. The drumming in 10000 Days is nothing to scoff at. Ticks and Leeches is a bitch to be sure, one of the best ever, but some of the independence displayed on Triad is beyond belief to me, the same for the song Lateralus. As a drummer, 13 years ago he had me pulling my hair out. Now I don't even reach for my hair. I just shake my head and smile, and sigh. Anyone else with similar opinions about the advancement of Mr. Carey's drumming skills over the last three CDs?

What do you think about Mike Portnoy? He's the only guy that I feel like has the chops to give Carey a run for his money. Opeth's drummer isn't too bad either.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:52 AM   #42
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 862

Quote:
Some good opinions in this thread, but as a drummer of 34 years, on 10K Days Rosetta may very well be the most impressive. But Jambi and Vicarious, let's just say there's not a whole lot that is easy about those tunes, either. There's not an easy drumming song on any of their last two CDs. As a point of relativity, most of Undertow is real doable, less than half of Aenima is doable (but boy, Pushit sure is fun) and Lateralus just propelled Danny (or Danny took Lateralus) to a new dimension of his own drumming. And this CD goes at least a step or two beyond anything he has recorded with anyone including Lateralus. And he knows it. This man has fucking worked his tail off to become better and he is now without a doubt one of the top drummers in the world. No surprise. 46&2 is a great song, but the drum solo is not all that impressive, or, I shoud say, not as hard as it looks in either listening to it or watching him from 20-30 feet away doing it. Some of the off-time hi-hat things he does in the verses of that song are more impressive than that drum solo, IMO. I don't even yet have the nerve to try drumming to ANY of this current CD. It will be awhile. Lots of subtleties in Jambi that most non-drummers cannot comprehend or appreciate. I see nothing mentioned about that most awesome song or the (pehaps overplayed) Vicarious. All instruments and vocals shine on that song, sick as some may be of hearing it on radio (I don't listen to radio, thank God). Rosetta is unbelievable and I am so glad I got to see them do it in Chicago. The drumming in 10000 Days is nothing to scoff at. Ticks and Leeches is a bitch to be sure, one of the best ever, but some of the independence displayed on Triad is beyond belief to me, the same for the song Lateralus. As a drummer, 13 years ago he had me pulling my hair out. Now I don't even reach for my hair. I just shake my head and smile, and sigh. Anyone else with similar opinions about the advancement of Mr. Carey's drumming skills over the last three CDs?

What do you think about Mike Portnoy? He's the only guy that I feel like has the chops to give Carey a run for his money. Opeth's drummer isn't too bad either.
06-05-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
(...) I just shake my head and smile, and sigh. Anyone else with similar opinions about the advancement of Mr. Carey's drumming skills over the last three CDs?
Absolutely. I didn't percieve it at first (or deliberately ignored it for its overwhelmingness), but the drumming on 10kD is outstanding. Lateralus was a step up from Æ, and 10kD is a new breed, drumming wise. Vicarious is there to remind you who is playing drums, but the rest is very different.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:52 AM   #43
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
(...) I just shake my head and smile, and sigh. Anyone else with similar opinions about the advancement of Mr. Carey's drumming skills over the last three CDs?
Absolutely. I didn't percieve it at first (or deliberately ignored it for its overwhelmingness), but the drumming on 10kD is outstanding. Lateralus was a step up from Æ, and 10kD is a new breed, drumming wise. Vicarious is there to remind you who is playing drums, but the rest is very different.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
06-05-2006, 06:53 AM

Rosetta Stoned, for me, is Danny's most technical up to date.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #44
Banned.

Rosetta Stoned, for me, is Danny's most technical up to date.
Nonduality
06-05-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systolic
LOL, portnoy....give Carey a run for his money???....LOL!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:20 AM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Noell's Avatar Noell
06-05-2006, 07:36 AM

Rosetta Stoned

Quote:
Mike Portnoy and Martin Lopez (who has retired from Opeth btw) are good drummers. Danny Carey is excellent, he is much more creative and he has better timing skills. When it comes to indepence he wins too.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Rosetta Stoned

Quote:
Mike Portnoy and Martin Lopez (who has retired from Opeth btw) are good drummers. Danny Carey is excellent, he is much more creative and he has better timing skills. When it comes to indepence he wins too.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
06-05-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonduality
Yeah, *lol*. Actually, it really is useless to compare drummers, or artists in general. What we love about Danny is his style. And we won't find that in Portnoy, Beauford, Donatti, or Peart because they're other drummers! Style is what it's all about. I don't really like McDonough's style, for example, but there's no doubt he's a technically superior drummer. Danny's style is mind-boggling. So, cheers, mates.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #47
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonduality
Yeah, *lol*. Actually, it really is useless to compare drummers, or artists in general. What we love about Danny is his style. And we won't find that in Portnoy, Beauford, Donatti, or Peart because they're other drummers! Style is what it's all about. I don't really like McDonough's style, for example, but there's no doubt he's a technically superior drummer. Danny's style is mind-boggling. So, cheers, mates.
QuantumMind's Avatar QuantumMind
06-05-2006, 08:26 AM

Rosetta Stoned and The Grudge
Old 06-05-2006, 08:26 AM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Rosetta Stoned and The Grudge
drone007
06-05-2006, 08:28 AM

i think rosetta stoned is probably the hardest song so far. i've been playing drums since 4th grade, and I'm 21 now, so how many years is that? haha

opiate, undertow, and most of aenima are fairly boring unless you add your own stuff. lateralus can be boring, much like aenima. ticks and leeches is not as hard as some people are making it out to be, it just sounds great that's all.

much like the guy said the solo for 46 & 2 is easy, it is...

rosetta stoned and jambi are extremely fun to play... god i love it :)

and also i dunno how he's playing that tabla stuff with sticks, that blows my mind seeing him play right in two live. i thought that was on the handsonic?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #49
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

i think rosetta stoned is probably the hardest song so far. i've been playing drums since 4th grade, and I'm 21 now, so how many years is that? haha

opiate, undertow, and most of aenima are fairly boring unless you add your own stuff. lateralus can be boring, much like aenima. ticks and leeches is not as hard as some people are making it out to be, it just sounds great that's all.

much like the guy said the solo for 46 & 2 is easy, it is...

rosetta stoned and jambi are extremely fun to play... god i love it :)

and also i dunno how he's playing that tabla stuff with sticks, that blows my mind seeing him play right in two live. i thought that was on the handsonic?
06-05-2006, 08:58 AM

(imho) of course, T&L, Eulogy, Lateralus (9-8-7:)), Rosetta Stoned, and i am also amazed by Right In Two's tabla solo, and right after it the transition between the tabla and the usual drums. (approx. 4:00 -> 6:00)
No question about it, Danny is not a human :-)
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #50

(imho) of course, T&L, Eulogy, Lateralus (9-8-7:)), Rosetta Stoned, and i am also amazed by Right In Two's tabla solo, and right after it the transition between the tabla and the usual drums. (approx. 4:00 -> 6:00)
No question about it, Danny is not a human :-)
06-05-2006, 09:04 AM

What has struck me most about 10,000 days is the overwhelming shift in gear of the drumming.. As some have noted, Danny has turned from a wild beast into a fucking alien. The Grudge and Ticks were pretty ridiculous on Lateralus (and his double bass playing on that album far exceeded his previous stuff on Aenema), but on 10,000 days...
Nearly every track contains complete animalism, and Danny's double bass is now mental. I would say that Vicarious, Jambi, 10,000 Days (check out 5:30 to 7:30, surely one of the sophisticated and tasteful pieces of drumming he's written), Rosetta Stoned and Right in Two (listen to 5:44 onwards) all contain parts that are as hard, and often harder to play in parts as anything on Lateralus or Aenima. Even more impressive is that the drumming, dare I say it, is even more beautiful.

And I haven't evened mentioned the psychedelic electronic stuff on Intension and the tabla solo on Right in Two..

Honestly, DC has outdone himself.. hail the king.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

What has struck me most about 10,000 days is the overwhelming shift in gear of the drumming.. As some have noted, Danny has turned from a wild beast into a fucking alien. The Grudge and Ticks were pretty ridiculous on Lateralus (and his double bass playing on that album far exceeded his previous stuff on Aenema), but on 10,000 days...
Nearly every track contains complete animalism, and Danny's double bass is now mental. I would say that Vicarious, Jambi, 10,000 Days (check out 5:30 to 7:30, surely one of the sophisticated and tasteful pieces of drumming he's written), Rosetta Stoned and Right in Two (listen to 5:44 onwards) all contain parts that are as hard, and often harder to play in parts as anything on Lateralus or Aenima. Even more impressive is that the drumming, dare I say it, is even more beautiful.

And I haven't evened mentioned the psychedelic electronic stuff on Intension and the tabla solo on Right in Two..

2and46's Avatar 2and46
06-05-2006, 10:21 AM

Don't forget the song Lateralus. Just the insanely odd time signatures of that song is priceless.

Rosetta Stoned is amazing, the end of Grudge, and for a new one how about hooker with a penis?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #52
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Don't forget the song Lateralus. Just the insanely odd time signatures of that song is priceless.

Rosetta Stoned is amazing, the end of Grudge, and for a new one how about hooker with a penis?
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
06-05-2006, 10:22 AM

I guess you would have to play drums to actually know eh? I just sing.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #53
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

I guess you would have to play drums to actually know eh? I just sing.
2and46's Avatar 2and46
06-05-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
Couldn't agree more! Danny's STYLE is what's most compelling and memorable. Many drummers can rip and shred (like Portnoy), but very few have developed their own sound that is unlike anyone else. That is the sign of greatness.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #54
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
Couldn't agree more! Danny's STYLE is what's most compelling and memorable. Many drummers can rip and shred (like Portnoy), but very few have developed their own sound that is unlike anyone else. That is the sign of greatness.
champion's Avatar champion
06-05-2006, 10:28 AM

I'm going to take my run at Rosetta Stoned this afternoon, record it, and share it. I've been studying the drums on that track for a while, and it will sound repetitive without the rest of the music. But people should still find interest; I believe I can play it respectably.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #55
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

I'm going to take my run at Rosetta Stoned this afternoon, record it, and share it. I've been studying the drums on that track for a while, and it will sound repetitive without the rest of the music. But people should still find interest; I believe I can play it respectably.
inSin's Avatar inSin
06-05-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
hell yeah man that would be great! lets see..how about you guys record yourself trying to play a Tool song. Any song is fine..you can just make it a short clipif you want. goodluck!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #56
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
hell yeah man that would be great! lets see..how about you guys record yourself trying to play a Tool song. Any song is fine..you can just make it a short clipif you want. goodluck!
drone007
06-05-2006, 12:19 PM

9/8 8/8 7/8 isn't really that hard to play, with respect to that song... yeh, if you were to do a solo over it, it would be challenging, but the song itself is easy.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #57

9/8 8/8 7/8 isn't really that hard to play, with respect to that song... yeh, if you were to do a solo over it, it would be challenging, but the song itself is easy.
06-05-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.stacks
Took me some time to find it. I know there's a site out there titled 10,000 words that's a collection of tool related articles that links to these images...don't remember the url though.

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/6...dannyfc2te.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7...dannyp18rq.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/9...dannyp21rp.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7...dannyp35it.jpg
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1...dannyp41qe.jpg
Thank you for the article, great read. I think one of my favorite things he said in this article was when he referred to Tool's "next record".
Old 06-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #58
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.stacks
Took me some time to find it. I know there's a site out there titled 10,000 words that's a collection of tool related articles that links to these images...don't remember the url though.

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/6...dannyfc2te.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7...dannyp18rq.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/9...dannyp21rp.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7...dannyp35it.jpg
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1...dannyp41qe.jpg
Thank you for the article, great read. I think one of my favorite things he said in this article was when he referred to Tool's "next record".
06-05-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSin
Yeah. I spent all afternoon doing it, but I discovered two things:

1. I can't get my drums and microphones to sound good yet. I need to keep experimenting.

2. It's really hard to play a whole song without the music going.

So, here's what I'm going to do, soon. I have an awesome DVD-R digital recorder camera, so very soon, I'm going to take my stab at:

The Grudge
Lateralus
Vicarious
Rosetta Stoned

Video it, put it up.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #59
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSin
Yeah. I spent all afternoon doing it, but I discovered two things:

1. I can't get my drums and microphones to sound good yet. I need to keep experimenting.

2. It's really hard to play a whole song without the music going.

So, here's what I'm going to do, soon. I have an awesome DVD-R digital recorder camera, so very soon, I'm going to take my stab at:

The Grudge
Lateralus
Vicarious
Rosetta Stoned

Video it, put it up.
bzx
06-05-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k~nug
My bro has a vid on youtube of him playing "Eulogy".(minus the crazy electronics of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjoUMchv3M
yo, your bro kicks ass!!! i've never seen anyone play this song, and i must say i'd never expect anyone to play it that well !!!!

KUDOS !!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #60
bzx
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
My bro has a vid on youtube of him playing "Eulogy".(minus the crazy electronics of course)

yo, your bro kicks ass!!! i've never seen anyone play this song, and i must say i'd never expect anyone to play it that well !!!!

KUDOS !!!!!!!
Mozeley's Avatar Mozeley
06-05-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzx

KUDOS !!!!!!!
Yeah, that was pretty damn impressive. I wish I had a drummer that good to play music with.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzx

KUDOS !!!!!!!
Yeah, that was pretty damn impressive. I wish I had a drummer that good to play music with.
06-05-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346
Roseta Stoned hands down.

Is there any song on 10,000 Days that was more interesting or challenging to play than the others?

“If I was going to pick one, just from a drummer’s standpoint, ‘Rosetta Stoned’ is a good one. There’s that part where I’m playing four with my
left foot, five with my right foot, and six with my hands.

if anyone can do that, let me know lol
That part is at 7mins, it's just bass and drums for a bit then one of Adams sustained solos.

Basically, what is happening in this section is that there are 2 times rotating. The kick drum (right foot) is hitting a 5/16 (I suppose you could call it a 5/8 but it's really a composite of 5/16) and over the top is a 6/8. The 6/8 is made up of the left foot closing the hi-hat ever crotchet, the left hand hitting the snare every 3 crotchets, and the right hand doing double and paradiddles on some synths. Later on the grudge sample comes in to tap the same crotchets as the foot is doing.

This part is quite easy for drummers who have done work with rotating time signatures before. I'm a guitarist by trade but I have done alot of composition with time signature techniques like Tool, Meshuggah and Mnemic.

I can do 3 limbs right now, I can do the right foot hitting the 5/8 riff, I can do the left foot tapping crotchets, and I can do the left hand hitting the snare every 3. But I'll be fucked if I can work out the rhythm of a paradiddle just on the right hand over all this.

The technique for playing something like this is not to think of it in it's constituent parts, but to feel the syncopation of the entire sequence. At first, it does need to be broken down into the different parts, but only to learn the syncopations. As the limbs get put together, it's important not to try and think of the right foot as doing 5/8, but to hear it as part of a larger round of syncopation in 6/8.

For the record I would not say this part is harder than the end of the Grudge, because I can't play that bit at all, it's just an all round drumathon, whereas this is a stringent and technical use of syncopation.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #62
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346
Roseta Stoned hands down.

Is there any song on 10,000 Days that was more interesting or challenging to play than the others?

“If I was going to pick one, just from a drummer’s standpoint, ‘Rosetta Stoned’ is a good one. There’s that part where I’m playing four with my
left foot, five with my right foot, and six with my hands.

if anyone can do that, let me know lol
That part is at 7mins, it's just bass and drums for a bit then one of Adams sustained solos.

Basically, what is happening in this section is that there are 2 times rotating. The kick drum (right foot) is hitting a 5/16 (I suppose you could call it a 5/8 but it's really a composite of 5/16) and over the top is a 6/8. The 6/8 is made up of the left foot closing the hi-hat ever crotchet, the left hand hitting the snare every 3 crotchets, and the right hand doing double and paradiddles on some synths. Later on the grudge sample comes in to tap the same crotchets as the foot is doing.

This part is quite easy for drummers who have done work with rotating time signatures before. I'm a guitarist by trade but I have done alot of composition with time signature techniques like Tool, Meshuggah and Mnemic.

I can do 3 limbs right now, I can do the right foot hitting the 5/8 riff, I can do the left foot tapping crotchets, and I can do the left hand hitting the snare every 3. But I'll be fucked if I can work out the rhythm of a paradiddle just on the right hand over all this.

The technique for playing something like this is not to think of it in it's constituent parts, but to feel the syncopation of the entire sequence. At first, it does need to be broken down into the different parts, but only to learn the syncopations. As the limbs get put together, it's important not to try and think of the right foot as doing 5/8, but to hear it as part of a larger round of syncopation in 6/8.

For the record I would not say this part is harder than the end of the Grudge, because I can't play that bit at all, it's just an all round drumathon, whereas this is a stringent and technical use of syncopation.
obwah's Avatar obwah
06-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipan Conjuring

QFT.
Kindle our hope, and let our grief give way to joy.
31°58' 152°35' = Bliss
Old 06-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #63
Practising Procrastination (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1298

Quote:

QFT.
Kindle our hope, and let our grief give way to joy.
31°58' 152°35' = Bliss
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
06-05-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:

You forgot that Danny plays the high-hat with his foot and plays toms + snare during the beginning AT THE SAME TIME. It's harder than your brother plays it... but good effort.

btw... AWESOME JOB on that part where the drums are alone. That beat is HARD with the High Hat playing on those accents 'n stuff....

BRAVO.

Last edited by smeefsmeef; 06-05-2006 at 04:16 PM..
Old 06-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #64
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:

You forgot that Danny plays the high-hat with his foot and plays toms + snare during the beginning AT THE SAME TIME. It's harder than your brother plays it... but good effort.

btw... AWESOME JOB on that part where the drums are alone. That beat is HARD with the High Hat playing on those accents 'n stuff....

BRAVO.

Last edited by smeefsmeef; 06-05-2006 at 04:16 PM..
tomhet
06-05-2006, 04:24 PM

OK, where is this part of Rosetta Stoned? In which he plays in all those rhythms?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #65

OK, where is this part of Rosetta Stoned? In which he plays in all those rhythms?
champion's Avatar champion
06-05-2006, 04:34 PM

At 7:04. I can play it. It's just memorization.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #66
Banned.

At 7:04. I can play it. It's just memorization.
IC's Avatar IC
06-05-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATARI
Yeah Rosetta seems to be taking the cake today.
yep.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #67
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATARI
Yeah Rosetta seems to be taking the cake today.
yep.
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM

Forty-Six & 2 (drum solo i would imagine).

Ticks and Leeches.

Rosetta Stoned.

Pushit [live].

Third-Eye.

Bottom (({near ending - ending})).

Intentions [electric drum solo ending].

Sober -(small parts of the song)-.

(but i don't play drums, i play guitar, but i know the power that goes into the songs and the speed and technique training you need to play them.)
Old 06-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #68
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Forty-Six & 2 (drum solo i would imagine).

Ticks and Leeches.

Rosetta Stoned.

Pushit [live].

Third-Eye.

Bottom (({near ending - ending})).

Intentions [electric drum solo ending].

Sober -(small parts of the song)-.

(but i don't play drums, i play guitar, but i know the power that goes into the songs and the speed and technique training you need to play them.)
MarcDrums's Avatar MarcDrums
06-05-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny

i am in the same boat with this song

the kick / snare part was tough to get the last few beats down

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ = kick

* = snare

to play that alone is complex

now add the quarter to the left foot.. ouch.. that was like trying to get the kick / high hat down for reflection (only way harder)

reflection was

* * * * <--- High Hat
* * * * <--- Kick

all of that under the tom beat.. (or so i play it, as i dont have all the simmons equipment)

either way, as far as difficulty is concerned, id say
1. Rosetta Stoned
2. The Grudge
3. Lateralus
4. Pushit (live)
5. Third Eye (live... trust me, its way different)
Old 06-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny

i am in the same boat with this song

the kick / snare part was tough to get the last few beats down

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ = kick

* = snare

to play that alone is complex

now add the quarter to the left foot.. ouch.. that was like trying to get the kick / high hat down for reflection (only way harder)

reflection was

* * * * <--- High Hat
* * * * <--- Kick

all of that under the tom beat.. (or so i play it, as i dont have all the simmons equipment)

either way, as far as difficulty is concerned, id say
1. Rosetta Stoned
2. The Grudge
3. Lateralus
4. Pushit (live)
5. Third Eye (live... trust me, its way different)
MarcDrums's Avatar MarcDrums
06-05-2006, 06:42 PM

ahh bullshit it condensed all of my tabbing down >:(
Old 06-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #70

ahh bullshit it condensed all of my tabbing down >:(
deft0nej
06-05-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:

His drums sound great, but once again...the electronics during the begining and 2nd verse are what make the song hard, the rest of it is pretty easy minus the hi hat part at the end which used to fuck with my head when I was first learning tool drums.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #71
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

His drums sound great, but once again...the electronics during the begining and 2nd verse are what make the song hard, the rest of it is pretty easy minus the hi hat part at the end which used to fuck with my head when I was first learning tool drums.
2and46's Avatar 2and46
06-05-2006, 07:06 PM

I'm impressed by all the drummers who can easily duplicate Danny. If you can so flawlessly do what Danny can do, why haven't I heard of you?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #72
Banned.

I'm impressed by all the drummers who can easily duplicate Danny. If you can so flawlessly do what Danny can do, why haven't I heard of you?
Kjac18's Avatar Kjac18
06-05-2006, 07:07 PM

I say they all a really hard and amazing, but the grooves are easy once you figure them out, but all the little stuff in between ahhhhh
Old 06-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I say they all a really hard and amazing, but the grooves are easy once you figure them out, but all the little stuff in between ahhhhh
06-05-2006, 09:49 PM

champion looking forward to your vids dude..
and if you care to tab any of the 10,000 days songs I'm sure there are legions of drummers who would dig it..
Old 06-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

champion looking forward to your vids dude..
and if you care to tab any of the 10,000 days songs I'm sure there are legions of drummers who would dig it..
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
06-05-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:

I loved this, although the guitar needs a tiny bit of work, especially with pick scraping, hence: the beginning of the song, but looking around that, it wasn't bland or boring at all and i loved it.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #75
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Quote:

I loved this, although the guitar needs a tiny bit of work, especially with pick scraping, hence: the beginning of the song, but looking around that, it wasn't bland or boring at all and i loved it.
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
06-05-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
And I haven't evened mentioned the psychedelic electronic stuff on Intension and the tabla solo on Right in Two.
According to the interview in Rhythm magazine, the only real tabla is on Intension. Every other hand drum you hear on the album is from the Mandala. Thats one pretty cool piece of equipment.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #76
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:
And I haven't evened mentioned the psychedelic electronic stuff on Intension and the tabla solo on Right in Two.
According to the interview in Rhythm magazine, the only real tabla is on Intension. Every other hand drum you hear on the album is from the Mandala. Thats one pretty cool piece of equipment.
M*G*N's Avatar M*G*N
06-05-2006, 11:50 PM

champion, are there any rock songs (non-Toolish) that is really hard for you to play?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #77
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 7

champion, are there any rock songs (non-Toolish) that is really hard for you to play?
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
06-06-2006, 02:06 AM

You're all wrong.

Virgenti Tres, hands down.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:06 AM   #78
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

You're all wrong.

Virgenti Tres, hands down.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-06-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Because being famous isn't an indicator of talent.

MarcDrums, here's a tab I did of this section for the bassline, and I included the snare hits. It shows the rhythm of the 5/8 and the snare.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59...ce/Rosetta.jpg

Last edited by Jimmeny; 06-06-2006 at 04:44 AM..
Old 06-06-2006, 04:41 AM   #79
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
Because being famous isn't an indicator of talent.

MarcDrums, here's a tab I did of this section for the bassline, and I included the snare hits. It shows the rhythm of the 5/8 and the snare.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59...ce/Rosetta.jpg

Last edited by Jimmeny; 06-06-2006 at 04:44 AM..
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
06-06-2006, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Exactly, i dont give a shit who can COPY and REPLICATE what danny carey does, you people lack what danny has, CREATIVITY, i bet none of u that can copy what danny does can CREATE something as good as what he does. Theres a difference between drummers turning themselves into drum machines, and drummers who turn themselves into creativity machines.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:54 AM   #80
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Exactly, i dont give a shit who can COPY and REPLICATE what danny carey does, you people lack what danny has, CREATIVITY, i bet none of u that can copy what danny does can CREATE something as good as what he does. Theres a difference between drummers turning themselves into drum machines, and drummers who turn themselves into creativity machines.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply