Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
zippyonthefly
08-10-2006, 08:41 PM

It's sad. but I'm one of the people who fell out of love with the band after 10k days.
It came as a hard hit for me - to fall out of love that is. Not too many great bands out there nowdays. I loved everything else they did prior to, but 10k didn't cut the mustard.
However, disliking 10k because of long intro's and no "hooks" is pretty retarted. To me Tool's music is an experience and not to be listened to for "hooks" or singles.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #81
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Do You Agree...

It's sad. but I'm one of the people who fell out of love with the band after 10k days.
It came as a hard hit for me - to fall out of love that is. Not too many great bands out there nowdays. I loved everything else they did prior to, but 10k didn't cut the mustard.
However, disliking 10k because of long intro's and no "hooks" is pretty retarted. To me Tool's music is an experience and not to be listened to for "hooks" or singles.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
HARDTOOL
08-11-2006, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyonthefly
Keep listening to it. Turn it up louder too. Get a new stereo too. You'll like it.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:04 AM   #82
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyonthefly
Keep listening to it. Turn it up louder too. Get a new stereo too. You'll like it.
donhumberto
08-11-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiman
Being a person who believes in subjectivity and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have to disagree with the original poster. That being said, I also think that Tool are the only band that could even come close to absolute, objective beauty, and 10,000 Days is definately their strongest work yet.

The people who don't enjoy 10,000 Days may be ignorant, or maybe they "get" something you don't. Maybe Tool has lost their sincerity, and instead have started making music that only the brainwashed will follow out of blind loyalty. In no way do I believe that, but you have to acknowledge that you see something here, but you still haven't seen everything, and never will. I can't say I wouldn't lose some respect for someone looking down on the album, but I still respect the fact you are voicing your opinion. In my world, Tool is the only way to go, and 10,000 Days is their best album, and those who deny it, are ignorant. That's my world, in the real world, think for yourself, question authority.
great post, sir
Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 AM   #83
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Being a person who believes in subjectivity and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have to disagree with the original poster. That being said, I also think that Tool are the only band that could even come close to absolute, objective beauty, and 10,000 Days is definately their strongest work yet.

The people who don't enjoy 10,000 Days may be ignorant, or maybe they "get" something you don't. Maybe Tool has lost their sincerity, and instead have started making music that only the brainwashed will follow out of blind loyalty. In no way do I believe that, but you have to acknowledge that you see something here, but you still haven't seen everything, and never will. I can't say I wouldn't lose some respect for someone looking down on the album, but I still respect the fact you are voicing your opinion. In my world, Tool is the only way to go, and 10,000 Days is their best album, and those who deny it, are ignorant. That's my world, in the real world, think for yourself, question authority.
great post, sir
DTrain
08-11-2006, 10:37 AM

I agree that he doesn't get what YOU get. That doesn't mean he doesn't get "it". Whether or not you like somthing is a matter of personal opinion becuase how each individual's brain perceives things is different.

Basically, if it doesn't sound good to him, that's OK. He may eventually "Get it" and hear what you hear in it, but that doesn't mean that what he hears now is "wrong" and he should "get it".

If you don't like somthing, you're not wrong -- that goes for anything. I'm sure there are things that you don't like that other people would say "man he just doesn't understand it".

Anyway, in order to keep this from sounding too much like I'm rambling i'm going to end it right here on this:

Everyone is different, and the fact that they're not the same as you doesn't make them wrong.

lol.

p.s. I love this album, and I "get it" in my own damned way.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #84
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I agree that he doesn't get what YOU get. That doesn't mean he doesn't get "it". Whether or not you like somthing is a matter of personal opinion becuase how each individual's brain perceives things is different.

Basically, if it doesn't sound good to him, that's OK. He may eventually "Get it" and hear what you hear in it, but that doesn't mean that what he hears now is "wrong" and he should "get it".

If you don't like somthing, you're not wrong -- that goes for anything. I'm sure there are things that you don't like that other people would say "man he just doesn't understand it".

Anyway, in order to keep this from sounding too much like I'm rambling i'm going to end it right here on this:

Everyone is different, and the fact that they're not the same as you doesn't make them wrong.

lol.

p.s. I love this album, and I "get it" in my own damned way.
DTrain
08-11-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Er. I did a newb thing and didn't read the entire thread before replying. Great post, along the same lines as what I said.

Thx benjiman.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #85
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Er. I did a newb thing and didn't read the entire thread before replying. Great post, along the same lines as what I said.

Thx benjiman.
2and46's Avatar 2and46
08-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbynoe
yeah this is a harder album to get into because of its
versatility...however
what i craved from tool was thier versatility
i love the way they spreaded thier wings
You're such a fanboy (girl). Know what? I love that about you. You're so damn positive.

Your art is fantastic by the way. Hbynoe is talented my friends.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #86
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbynoe
yeah this is a harder album to get into because of its
versatility...however
what i craved from tool was thier versatility
i love the way they spreaded thier wings
You're such a fanboy (girl). Know what? I love that about you. You're so damn positive.

Your art is fantastic by the way. Hbynoe is talented my friends.
Randall's Avatar Randall
08-13-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radius
Ummm.....I didn't steal this pic from you. That sucks that they're the same though....hmmm....if you look, mine has parts of the pic that aren't even in yours, so I couldn't have gotten it from you. However, since you've been here ONE MONTH longer than I....I suppose I'll change it.

I guess, thats how time works. Crop, Fuck it man, steal some other trash off the net.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #87
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radius
Ummm.....I didn't steal this pic from you. That sucks that they're the same though....hmmm....if you look, mine has parts of the pic that aren't even in yours, so I couldn't have gotten it from you. However, since you've been here ONE MONTH longer than I....I suppose I'll change it.

I guess, thats how time works. Crop, Fuck it man, steal some other trash off the net.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
08-15-2006, 05:44 AM

i personally think that 10000 days is more sincere than Lat. just read the lyrics. whats more personal: talking about your mother or "spiraling out"? restatement: which one is more real, and therefore more sincere? I like the whole spiraling out deal, very powerful. but hey: ive never experienced taht and maybe never will (in this lifetime at least). what i have experienced is the loss of a loved one. so thats my biased take on the matter.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #88
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310
i personally think that 10000 days is more sincere than Lat. just read the lyrics. whats more personal: talking about your mother or "spiraling out"? restatement: which one is more real, and therefore more sincere? I like the whole spiraling out deal, very powerful. but hey: ive never experienced taht and maybe never will (in this lifetime at least). what i have experienced is the loss of a loved one. so thats my biased take on the matter.
Opiate Son's Avatar Opiate Son
08-15-2006, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trismegistus
Amen to that. The fact that the members of TOOL use the band as a spiritual vehicle for self-transformation does not necessarily mean that there is unambigious meaning to be found in their expressions. After all, in several interviews the members have said "Think for yourselves".

As such, on every album in each song there is ambiguity to be found to evoke the stance that we as humans fail to see the whole picture. Take for example the photo on the Aenima CD: is this man involved in sexual activity or not? We cannot be sure because we fail to see the whole picture, in fact it's "undecidable". it's meaning is ambigious. So it is not so important what the picture means - or lyrics of a TOOL song for that matter -. It's more important what the picture means to you. Life's what you make it ...

Generally spoken, how can you relate the music of TOOL to your own life. There are no institutionalized meanings to be found in the music and that's the beauty of TOOL because they intentionally make their music unintentional and we cannot even be sure about that because we fail to see the whole picture.

It is fun though discussing about the meaning of TOOL's music ...

Just my 2 cents.

quoted for absolute truth!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:58 AM   #89
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trismegistus
Amen to that. The fact that the members of TOOL use the band as a spiritual vehicle for self-transformation does not necessarily mean that there is unambigious meaning to be found in their expressions. After all, in several interviews the members have said "Think for yourselves".

As such, on every album in each song there is ambiguity to be found to evoke the stance that we as humans fail to see the whole picture. Take for example the photo on the Aenima CD: is this man involved in sexual activity or not? We cannot be sure because we fail to see the whole picture, in fact it's "undecidable". it's meaning is ambigious. So it is not so important what the picture means - or lyrics of a TOOL song for that matter -. It's more important what the picture means to you. Life's what you make it ...

Generally spoken, how can you relate the music of TOOL to your own life. There are no institutionalized meanings to be found in the music and that's the beauty of TOOL because they intentionally make their music unintentional and we cannot even be sure about that because we fail to see the whole picture.

It is fun though discussing about the meaning of TOOL's music ...

Just my 2 cents.

quoted for absolute truth!
08-15-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredy_Brown
You think that Lateralus was a sincere album?
Clearly not...it was a hypothetical statement.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #90
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredy_Brown
You think that Lateralus was a sincere album?
Clearly not...it was a hypothetical statement.
Radius's Avatar Radius
08-21-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
That didn't make any sense.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #91
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
That didn't make any sense.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply