opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 11-25-2002, 08:14 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Lateralus = Mushrooms

For a long time, I didn't like tool. In fact, I even DISLIKED tool to a great degree. I thought they were just a heavy band, and according to many of their idiot fans, they are. I knew several idiots who liked tool simply because they were heavy, so it ruined it for me. Even after I met cool people who liked tool for a good reason, i still couldn't grasp it.

However, I ate mushrooms 6 times over about a 4 month period last year and some this year, and I was awakened. Tool suddenly moved me almost to tears. I remember reading somewhere on this site (the faq,perhaps?) that maynard used to do a lot of mushrooms but now does not because he can reach that state through meditation. I can see exactly how that works. Ever since I ate them, I have had a deeper connection to rhythm, the earth and the way my own mind works. I can more easily reach the vast, hidden corners of my mind and push my own evolution (my big thing is playing the guitar, which I have VASTLY improved on since my experiences) higher and higher.

I believe what maynard is referring to in this song is the deep connection to all life, the earth, ourselves and the need to reach out to all possibilities and create our own evolution because we CAN.

I am not advocating using mushrooms, nor am I saying that mushrooms alone provide this wisdom, but rather that they showed me (and my assumption is maynard as well) that life is not confined to one way of thinking, one way of doing, but that we can sense and feel ANYTHING WE WANT. The mushrooms could not make me experience anything I was not already capable of experiencing on my own.

Meditate on this.
Spread it around.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 04:07 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Lateralus = Mushrooms

The reason you feel like that is because when you trip on mushrooms, it causes cells in your brain to "open up" per say and that gives you the "in touch with nature/music" feeling. However, those cells never really "close" all the way back up. So all the things you are feeling are probably residue of the trips.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:28 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I know what you mean.I too had recently my first experience
with mushrooms.It was incredible!Beautiful trips!Sometimes drugs
really help to understand things better,deeper.I find mushrooms
to be ideal for those purposes!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:51 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

mushrooms have made a lot of things clearer for me. i know myself a lot better than i ever have. and knowing yourself, and pushing yourself beyond your personal boundaries is all it takes to evolve. but, i always have a thought when i trip. what if one day, i journey too far? could i get lost? the things ive found within myself sometimes are so mesmerizing, and the emotions so intense that i never want it to end. but is there a limit to the mind's endurance? there has to be some shock that once the trip ends, the person who began it is dead and someone new is in his place. i also feel reborn coming out of a trip, like i have all the answers and a few of the universe.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:45 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Re: Lateralus = Mushrooms

Quote:
Originally posted by mne pohuy
The reason you feel like that is because when you trip on mushrooms, it causes cells in your brain to "open up" per say and that gives you the "in touch with nature/music" feeling. However, those cells never really "close" all the way back up. So all the things you are feeling are probably residue of the trips.
Actually, this is quite "fuzzy" science you are using here. Cells can't "open up" as you claim, nor do they "close". But in any case, the more perspectives from which you view the world, the more you know about it.
Spread it around.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:59 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by alexboche
Actually, this is quite "fuzzy" science you are using here. Cells can't "open up" as you claim, nor do they "close". But in any case, the more perspectives from which you view the world, the more you know about it.
Well played my man. That's exactly it. Taking mushrooms allows you to see the world in a way you neer have been able to before. This can be exciting, humbling or terrifying, depending on a lot of things. The fact that you can see the world in a way which you might not normally opens your eyes to a lot of different perspectives. Never will you hear of a person on mushrooms grabbing something completely out of the dark or learning something completely new, they all come back and say that they see the same things that they used to, only in a completely different way now. Pretty amazing stuff.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:59 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by minusrestraint
mushrooms have made a lot of things clearer for me. i know myself a lot better than i ever have. and knowing yourself, and pushing yourself beyond your personal boundaries is all it takes to evolve. but, i always have a thought when i trip. what if one day, i journey too far? could i get lost? the things ive found within myself sometimes are so mesmerizing, and the emotions so intense that i never want it to end. but is there a limit to the mind's endurance? there has to be some shock that once the trip ends, the person who began it is dead and someone new is in his place. i also feel reborn coming out of a trip, like i have all the answers and a few of the universe.
I think ive pushed my limit, i've been struggling just to feel the things i used to feel.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:31 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i agree with alexboche about the fuzzy logic - let's be clear about this sort of thing.

Psilocybin, or 3-[2-(Dimethylamino)ethyl]-1H-indol-4-ol dihydrogen phosphate ester, is a chemical found in musrooms such as the liberty head. When mushrooms are taken orally, the active ingrediant, psilocybin, is absorbed into the blood stream through the stomach, or if held in the mouth, through the mucous membranes in the mouth. It flows to the brain, where it interacts with the most complex computer known to man...

and my research ends there. Lot's of info on how it's taken, why it's taken, how long it lasts, how it's absorbed, it's chemical forumlas and LD50 and scientific names and standard dosages.

But what happens when it gets there? The most important part. Brain cells do not "open up", as alexboche said.
The problem of course, is the truth, as usual. The truth is that the halicinations are a result of our body attempting to fight off a poison, just like when we're sick and have a fever. Obviously the side effects of this can be positive. But when it cmoes down to it, it's our immune systems that are the source of these visions and ideas... mushrooms merly trigger the insticts our bodys all ready contain... there is no truth in the chemicals, the are merly a happy coicidence, whilst our bodys attempt to fight the poisen we injest, we fall into a state of hallicunations. and since we're all high when it happens, who's to say we haven't merly conviced ourselves that we've learned the truth?

(note i'm an intelligent open minded and generally pro-drug person, i just like to play devils advocate)
Old 12-09-2002, 10:58 AM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Answer: Because the person is not sober. They are not under the same consciousness that is educated, skeptical, and cynical.

You used the word "truth" when you should have used "fact". They are very different things. Fact is physical proof, while Truth is spiritual insight, a holy understanding.

When I took mushrooms, I did it by myself. I laid on the floor in my office and... existed. I listened to my breathing, juices moving inside my GI tract, my heartbeat, etc. My 2 dogs were huddled around me sleeping. I was listening to various CD's, including Tool. There was this light feeling that came over me and I felt like I couldn't get close enough to the earth (I was laying on the ground and I felt like part of the ground). Towards the end of the night, I was laying in the fetal position listening to Tool, with my eyes closed. Thats when I got a new appreciation for Alex Grey's artwork. The CEV (closed-eye visuals) were very similar to his work. The sounds from Tool would grow and then subside like they were bending and growing in size. At this point, my wife woke up to check on me. She came in the office and touched my leg. When she touched me, I jolted and semi-yelled "Ahh!". I did that because I was so far away, so when she touched me it zapped me back to the room. I opened my eyes and began laughing. She too began laughing and asked if she had scared me. I told her yes but only because I had forgotten about my body. After that, I relaxed again, continued listening to music and eventually fell asleep.

The thing I took with me is a new connection to my mortal body. Most importantly, the connection to my senses. I was able to use my senses in a new way, and it showed me how silly we can be when perceptions are developed solely from our 5 senses.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:25 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Answer: Because the person is not sober. They are not under the same consciousness that is educated, skeptical, and cynical.

You used the word "truth" when you should have used "fact". They are very different things. Fact is physical proof, while Truth is spiritual insight, a holy understanding.

The thing I took with me is a new connection to my mortal body. Most importantly, the connection to my senses. I was able to use my senses in a new way, and it showed me how silly we can be when perceptions are developed solely from our 5 senses.
[/QUOTE]

What I think is interesting about "Truth" is that education has done much to make it questionable. Agreed, once you are on your substance you lose your education/skepticism. You feel the Truth. Religious zealots feel this same Truth. Many, if not all of these are lacking in the education/skepticism Dept. If religion can convince people of some absurd "Truth", why can't a drug do the same? Both are limiting skepticism and education, as you put it.

By the way, he was ok with his words. The word "truth" is a conformity to fact or actuality. As far as I know, what he said is both truth and fact - The hallucinations are caused by chemicals. The word "Truth" as you put it, is "That which is considered to be the supreme reality and to have the ultimate meaning and value of existence."
Old 12-10-2002, 12:35 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

acid

As I'm sure everyone knows by now that acid is quite dangerous in its long term effects. However, seeing as how this subject seems to be on the whole drugs/music thing I've decided to voice my humble opinions.. after all, that's what this is for.. The very first time I tried acid, I continually listened to tool all the albums from opiate to lateralus and even some soundtracks with tool on it.. I also listened to a bit of nine inch nails, but this is a tool page so I'll stay on subject. I have been aware that acid can take you to other worlds and other conciousnesses.. (at least, it has for me) but i've never had an experience like I did that night. I've known quite a few people (stupid people.. but people nonetheless) that just do acid to get high.. for me, its always been a more spiritual experience.. The whole night, I wrote in a book of mine and for some wierd reason (most likely because I was on a psychoactive) the music made me extremely motivated and gave me the inspiration I always wanted.. I don't recommend acid.. but I do encourage those of you that want an intellectual high to try it..

thats all I've got for now
Old 12-10-2002, 08:13 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Can anyone please tell me the difference between the feeling of tripping on pot than tripping on mushrooms? I’ve smoke some pot to tool before and felt that listening tool had enhance however I really don’t want to get into drugs but I always like to know what it feels like.
Can anyone give me some in site?

And just for the record what is your favourite Tool song to trip to. Schism is mine and so as the patient. I haven’t heard Aenima tripped but again as I said I don’t want to get into drugs, I can like and listen to tool sober.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:54 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Shrooms compared to Pot

While pot can plunge you into a mental state of awareness(or cause you to completely lose yourself in a song), shrooms enhances the trip visually. The things you are thinking may appear before you as a reality for that moment. Depending on your dosage, you could either feel yourself slowly falling into the spiral of Lateralus, or, on a less peaceful trip, actually see and feel the "bright and blue and shimmerin'" face of your third eye. If you can get these effects without the use of drugs, more power to you. But, if you aren't ready, don't take the risk.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:41 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

What I think is interesting about "Truth" is that education has done much to make it questionable. Many, if not all of these are lacking in the education/skepticism Dept. If religion can convince people of some absurd "Truth", why can't a drug do the same? Both are limiting skepticism and education, as you put it.

By the way, he was ok with his words. The word "truth" is a conformity to fact or actuality. As far as I know, what he said is both truth and fact - The hallucinations are caused by chemicals. The word "Truth" as you put it, is "That which is considered to be the supreme reality and to have the ultimate meaning and value of existence." [/B][/QUOTE]

This reply is for akino...

Your first sentence says it all. Education has done much to make EVERYTHING questionable. It gives us a certain arrogance. It makes us feel powerful. What is our education really? It is man's reality, of written and verbal communication, that has been recorded over years and years. It is also based in the physical world.

Truth has no definition. It is felt spiritually. You can only discuss truth in its simplest form. Once you start to elaborate, you begin to drain truth of its energy and it becomes man's manipulated, lifeless answer.

The question you had, about religion and drugs being capable of convincing people, was a good one. The answer lies in our emotions. Consciousness is lost in thoughts and the acting on of emotions, unless you understand the effects they have on your consciousness. You become convinced of something when you CHOOSE to surrender to it. If you are aware of your emotions and thoughts then you know why you chose to be convinced. This is all something that happens to all human beings. But not all people can understand or realize these events when they take place. When I took mushrooms, I took the same consciousness/same person into the drug. I was aware of the different feelings and thoughts I was having. Therefore, I will not be convinced of anything from that experience unless I choose to. It was just a new perspective for me. An alteration of my senses that I had never experienced before.

Truth is not defined. Open your heart and you will find truth.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:36 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

oops

alright I'm new here, I tried posting a follow up in this thread, accidently started my own, so yeah that shrooms thread is supposed to be in here, sorry....
Old 12-13-2002, 02:03 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

reply to flipmojo

Reply to Flipmojo
/////////
Truth is not defined. Open your heart and you will find truth.
////////

I disagree. My first sentence does not say it all. In fact, education has done much to make some things questionable and some other things appear more valid. Floods, earthquakes, volcanoes. All of these have been proven through education to be a result of physical forces, not processes of divine intervention. So, keep in mind that these forces originally were considered to be part of some greater "Truth".
I think education has done some good things for us, I really do. If you don't think education has done some good things for us, I think you should take all your words, all your thoughts, all your books and burn them. You know why? The people who have said and written those things that have enhanced your lives throughout the years...Well anyway. My point is that historically what men have considered the "Truth" has been disproven time and time again. Look at religion as an example.

I believe there is a distinction between feeling "emotion" and what you call the "Truth". Accepting some "Truth" or believing you know the ultimate meaning of reality is a bit extreme. However, feeling emotion is just being human. Knowing yourself, and knowing other people is something that may be hard to do because of our culture. If mushrooms help you to come into contact with a lost part of yourself, then more power to them. However, I don't think any truth is found intrinsically with them, and if there is truth it is not necessarily an objective one. If you speak of a subjective truth, a self-actualization, then I can see what you mean. I am always open to seeing new parts of myself.

The word "Truth"is too vague. I prefer to say "find myself", or find whatever it is I am seeking. If Truth is subjective then that makes sense to say. If Truth is objective then I need some evidence to accept that Truth anyway. After all, look how many objective Truths have been proven unlikely.

Anyway, My goal is to search for happiness, to understand myself, understand other people, understand the Universe (if I get lucky).. If that is what you are saying, then I agree 100%.

-at autumn dusk
Old 12-13-2002, 03:07 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

I dont think you understand where I am coming from.

Its not something physical so I cannot give you the evidence you are requesting. A volcano doesn't errupt just because we know how/why a volcano errupts. You seem very "book smart" and knowledgable, so I would suggest you think on that last sentence until you get tired, and then feel on it. Maybe that would help you see where I am coming from??

One last thing, I didn't say I got some kind of enlightenment from mushrroms. It was just a way for me to see how the world appeared, when my senses were meshing together, and the different emotions that ran through me, as a result of the intoxication. Anyway, it was good talking. Best Wishes.

-flip
Old 12-13-2002, 05:47 PM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Thanks again akino. I believe a few of my own questions were answered during our exchange.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:54 AM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

careful

well theres a lot of talk here about trips and mushrooms.....and a bit of lively debate too about other things besides. ive taken acid before and it can trigger all sorts of things and sometimes if you are with friends you can really lock minds and be exactly on the same wavelength. and its great but.....i dunno, one can only do it for so long, and i think some people tend to over-emphasise the whole subjective experience aspect, you know....cause if you just take acid and experience things and you're in your room well then you may well be mistaking an introspection journey for some sort of revelatory experience. theres a scene in terence malick's the thin red line where the narrator makes an observation: "....everyone looking for salvation by themselves". we might do well to keep that in mind.........
Old 12-17-2002, 02:55 PM   #20
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129
about shrooms.... what exactly are the kind you're supposed to take? I hear (at least from my parents) that certain kinds are poisonous.....

Like I said somewhere else, I'm interested in all this tripping stuff. I don't want to do something that is potentially dangerous though, or has long term side effects. Shrooms seem like a good option since they are part of nature and I doubt anything they have in them would stay in my system for ages.

The problem is I can't really research this as my dad's computer logs all the sites visited through our network, and he might get suspicious...... so if anyone has any information they could post, like where to get them, what kind of dosages etc. it would be appreciated.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:19 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Some info that might help

I posted this on another couple messageboards when the mushroom topic came up. I've always been very interested in them. Maybe some info will be helpful to those who are looking to experience a new reality:

I remember the first time I did shrooms. My friend called me up in the morning and asked me if i wanted to do em and my heart was instantly going crazy. This was in 10th grade btw, near the middle/end of the school year. So I get up to his house and there are like 4 other friends who had already eaten theirs... i took my half eighth and chomped em down. To this day I still enjoy the taste of raw mushrooms (only Psilocybin though, nevermind those store bought ones).

The first thing youll notice is a mysterious "energy" heading towards your brain. Itll take 20-40 minutes to first feel these effects. Its like theres a tube from your stomach to your brain and theres a special power pushing "Energy" into your head. I recommend sitting around at a cool place during this time in the trip. Ill explain why in a bit.

After 45 mins or so, you will usually be officially "shrooming". One time it took me 15 mins to reach this point, and one time it took almost 90 mins. It all depends on a few factors, but it doesnt matter - you're gonna get to that point anyway right?

You wont ever see pink elephants. You wont ever see fat woman charging at you in a swirl of colors. All those myths about "realistic" visuals are bullshit. Visually, what you MAY see, is bright colors, items around you looking like mushrooms, objects seeming alive (I once saw a tree that had a face and he was trying to tell me something.). You might close your eyes and see swirling psychadelic patterns, which is where fractal/hippy art comes from anyway. Well, both shrooms and acid led to that.

The whole trip is mental. Your brain will be in its own world and the outside world is just a small part of life. You will realize how small you are in the huge crazy world, and you will understand the social ways of the world.

You might "feel" colors. Example: I was shrooming at my high school Grad Night with my friend. There was a red room and a blue room right next to each other. We stepped into the blue room from the outside and instantly everything became cold and dark. I literally felt the color of blue flow into my skin, molding me into the surroundings around me. I then walked into the next room which was red. It became hot and fiery and everything was so vibrant. The people moving around me were all on a mission to "get to their destination" and I realized the movement would never stop. People will always be walking towards a goal, then walking back, and other people will follow. Its hard to explain, but in the end you just think "why does anyone move at all?".

But nothing I just explained is "uncomfortable". Bad shroom trips are much harder to get than bad Acid trips. But I guess there are some parts of the duration of the trip where stuff feels fucking weird - weirder than usual that is.

Dont do them *too* much. Even I know that they have a physical effect on the brain. More than 4-5 times a year is probably not good.. 5 is my limit, preferably 4.

Alright, im not gonna get into the scientifical aspects on what "exactly" they do to your brain, but in general, check this out: They will have no harmful effects on you at all if you do them once. Or twice. Or 10 times. The only people I've seen get fucked up lives from shrooms are the hippies who did them every day/every week, back in the 60's 70's. Their brains are a lil slow :).

The next morning you will wake up refreshed, and you will feel like you are more wise. I love the feeling of waking up after a day of tripping.

Take 1/2 an eighth, To, A full eighth, your first time. No more than 1/8. Even after numerous times, I still think the best and most enjoyable trip is a little less than one full eighth. It makes you think instead of sending you to Mars, lol!

Any more questions feel free to ask, it seems tons of people on these boards know what theyre talking about... obviously :)
Old 12-27-2002, 12:17 PM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

wow

Im so glad someone posted that before I had too. I could almost swear Lateralus was about the perspective obtained by mushrooms. Acid is cool and all but no spirituallity. Mushrooms are God's flesh/bread. To listen to TooL on any kind of medium is to understand where Maynard is really coming from. I cant imagine why even though he can meditate why he wouldn't still do them. He better blaze it...lol
Listen to the slow part on Lateralus. To "feel" any of those things he talking about is to experience the vast world of the brain we were given taken apart by the mushroom and confronting yourself. Evolution through mushrooms my friend. Terrance McKenna ------------ Nuf Said

Blue
Old 12-29-2002, 01:21 AM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

Re: wow

nice. i really like this thread. a while back when i was thinking about the true inspiration of lateralus i was completely convinced that it was about DMT, a tryptamine just like shrooms, but sorta shamed myself out thinking this way(a long boring story). my opinion sways but i think the song does grasp elements of psychedelics btw if you don't know much about DMT i recommend the book DMT: the spirit molecule, it'll blow your mind.

anyways.... (pardon me if this has been mentioned in other posts)
at the start of the track you get a feeling as though he's trudging through life. simple, narrow-sighted, head down. then as he sees more colours, he becomes more alive. the energy of the music expresses this

"black then white are all i see..." i thinkis to do with limited awareness of thiings, no doubt this is mentioned in other threads, then more colours come, thus a greater awareness. i don't think this has to do with tripping, more to do with growing up, changing and leanring more.

"As below, so above and beyond, I imaginedrawn beyond the lines of reason.Push the envelope. Watch it bend"

you can take it as a metaphor and also take it literally. tripping on any substance, is beyond reason, in that it's a new world that doesn't seem to fit into our paradigm of what is and isn't the true nature of things. tripping takes things right to their limits (push the envelope) then it takes them even further (watch it bend)-- the only limitation on things is our own imgination, our own locked minds. it's a realisation about the beauty of existence that is beyond our understanding, but doesn't have to be induced by entheogens..

".......Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines."

lateralus is also about "feeling the moment" -- maynard thinks/thought too much, i think we can all identify with this, but he also says he needs to understand the way things are so he can appreciate his daily experiences more. this is a crude explanation...it's like... why should we exist, why should we bother experiencing things at all? for what reason should i be enjoying this? it's one thing to see a flower and say it's pretty, it's another to look into a grain of sand and see the universe.

maynard wants a blanace between the two: to experience things but also be aware eof the divine nature of the thing he's experiencing --- "swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human."

the times i;ve wept at the beauty of this song during the slow bit.... i love it
trippy music throughout, then the final bit for some reason juust makes be feel as though it refers to tripping, especially on DMT. "with my feet upon the ground" - i'm firmly grounded with reality, and this is THE WAY IT IS

"I lose myself between the sounds " - sounds = vibrations = energy. DMT anecdote:

"suddenly i began to hear a loud, moderately high-pitched carrier wave. immediately, the room started vibrating in sympathy. the pattern on the wall hangings oscillated madly in time to the buzzing that overlaid the carrier wave's fundamental tone."

"and open wide to suck it in" - smoking DMT? or maybe just breathing in the essence of our existence.

but then again, maybe i'm looking at things too hard. fantastic song anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by EuphoricBlue
I cant imagine why even though he can meditate why he wouldn't still do them. He better blaze it...lol
Listen to the slow part on Lateralus. To "feel" any of those things he talking about is to experience the vast world of the brain we were given taken apart by the mushroom and confronting yourself. Evolution through mushrooms my friend. Terrance McKenna ------------ Nuf Said

Blue

awesome, another mckenna follower. "evolution through mushrooms" indeed. for people who don't know of him, mckenna is pro mushrooms because it dissolves the ego so you no longer identify yourself as being separate from the rest of the universe but consider youself as part of the whole, making you less of a selifish bastard, respect Mother Nature etc. ie separation is an illusion. from my shroom trips, i've experienced this and agree.

that being said, meditation can help you attain the same mystical states that shrooms/psychedelics offer and much more. i don't meditate much so i'm obviously talking out of my ass but a funny story to show the similarities is when a colleague of timothy leary went to the himalayas to give monks real high doses of acid to gauge experiences... one said it was good but not as good as meditation, the other said it just gave him a headache. later on, he gave a 60+ y.o. monk over 900mcg (most trips these days are 50-200mcg) of acid and nothing happened. not a giggle, no confusion, no nothing, which convinced him enough to stop taking acid, change his name to Ram Dass and convert to mysticism.

i've gone off topic but yes, i think there's a point where you've leanred enough from drugs that you no longer need them for the rest of your journey. this is the deciding factor when it comes to whether or not you're taking them just to get high or learn something... on the other hand also believe in needing to be "reminded" of the lessons learnt from drugs.

+ one more thing, about the discussion of truth.
"we never see things as they truly are, we see things as we are" - some wise dude. i think the only certain truth that mushrooms show you is reality is infinite, beautiful and far beyond our comprehension. for the scientific minds a good book about reality based on evidence from quantum physics, parapsychology, neuroscience, religion, drugs... etc is The Holographic Universe.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:48 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

brain

do any of you think that when under the influence of mushrooms that you are using a larger amount of your brain? or different parts that we're not used to normally using? I've wondered this a lot and tried finding more info about it but it seems that nobody really knows much about our brain or exactly what psychedelics do to induce that state of thinking
Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

I do not use Mushrooms or any other drugs for that matter. But listening to Tool makes me feel high as a kite.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

You nailed it JFRED, the music can take you to those places. No side effects to boot!!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

Wow. Such a great thread. I wish a lot of the guys who were posting five years ago could still post.

I've had some very profound experiences on shrooms. It's unfortunate a lot of people regard it as a 'party drug.' When you are ready to trip, be not afraid to take the journey. Shrooms can open up a lot of new perspectives. Everyone's trip is always different, but I will say that shrooms have the potential to enlighten you to whatever you are ready for. One man's "Truth" may not be the same for another. The experience is all very subjective, and "Truth" is really relative in it's nature. I think most of us that have tripped will agree it's not so much the message or epiphanies we have, more so it's the journey you take while tripping.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #28
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post
Wow. Such a great thread. I wish a lot of the guys who were posting five years ago could still post.

I've had some very profound experiences on shrooms. It's unfortunate a lot of people regard it as a 'party drug.' When you are ready to trip, be not afraid to take the journey. Shrooms can open up a lot of new perspectives. Everyone's trip is always different, but I will say that shrooms have the potential to enlighten you to whatever you are ready for. One man's "Truth" may not be the same for another. The experience is all very subjective, and "Truth" is really relative in it's nature. I think most of us that have tripped will agree it's not so much the message or epiphanies we have, more so it's the journey you take while tripping.
All hail the prophet Cheese
Old 03-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 78

not that i need drugs to appreciate tools music or any other bands stuff,but ill have to say that drugs can enhance ones listening pleasure.in terms of a NATURAL substance,mushrooms would be the best choice for those looking to stay away from man made narcotics.my personal drug of choice for re-visiting my fav bands is exstacy.for me it goes well with all genres of music,for too long its had the stigma of only being a soother sucking/glowstick twirling raver drug.for anyone looking to take any substance for the first time,do some research,try to find a reliable source[a reputable dealer],NEVER trip alone,and everything in moderation.
i mean, we are like catapillars, contemplating pupation. no longer will i chew on the cabbage leaves, no longer will i spend my time moving on the underside of the foliage! life must be a preparation for the transition to another dimension...
Old 03-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #30
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

this thread made me lol
Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

I've always been on the fence with drugs. The only drugs I would ever think about taking were marijuana, mushrooms or LSD. Those three seem to be the ones that give you an in intelligent high. But I'm worried because I see all the people who do drugs at my school (I'm only 15) and I think to myself, " Am I really going to turn out this way?" I don't want to be one of those braindead morons who can't even spell half of the words they speak. Also I'm afraid it would interfere with school. I want to make good grades to get a college scholarship to further educate myself because our family can't afford. Also I'm worried about the risk of addiction. I know most people say pot isn't but I'm not sure. Any advice or help?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

I'm convinced that there is something about hallucinogenics that is other worldly, or other-dimensional. I'm not the only one who has tripped and thought "holy fuck, there is so much more to life then I've ever seen." It seems that these kinds of drugs have led alot of people back to the true understanding that we are all one, and that we are percieving a very small portion of the whole of reality.

One hallucination that was recurrent in my shroom trips was geometry. I would see various geometrical patterns everywhere. I find that very interesting that it led me down a path to learn what these symbols actually mean, and how they are a blueprint for the universe, and represent the interconnectedness of life and all that springs out of it.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyq 451 View Post
I've always been on the fence with drugs. The only drugs I would ever think about taking were marijuana, mushrooms or LSD. Those three seem to be the ones that give you an in intelligent high. But I'm worried because I see all the people who do drugs at my school (I'm only 15) and I think to myself, " Am I really going to turn out this way?" I don't want to be one of those braindead morons who can't even spell half of the words they speak. Also I'm afraid it would interfere with school. I want to make good grades to get a college scholarship to further educate myself because our family can't afford. Also I'm worried about the risk of addiction. I know most people say pot isn't but I'm not sure. Any advice or help?
First of all, it is extremely important to educate yourself about any drug that you take. Mushrooms can give a person a very eye-opening, spiritually enlightening experience. But it can also take a person to the worst depths of hell imaginable. Usually, the negitive attributes of these drugs are associated with people who jump into it without having any idea what they are in for. Its all in your surroundings, your mindset, and your disposition to mental illness. Pot can make a person very creative, but it can also make person very lazy if you let it.

Also it is important to understand that too much of ANY drug will make you feel like shit. You smoke too many cigarrettes... you'll feel like shit. You drink too much alcohol, God, you will feel like shit. You eat too much acid... you will make a memorable trip to fucking HELL. Just be careful, and responsible with whatever you do.

Don't be in a rush to experiment. Those days will come. If you want to open your eyes in different ways, pick up a book... or research on the web. I recommend You-tubing "Sacred Geometry" for a lot of eye opening philosophies on the true laws of nature.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #34
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Ignore Noose, he has this almighty complex all in his petty brain. Some real advice for ya' is probably not to do them at all but I won't be a hyopcrite and I will say that none of the 3 are addictive...if anything, marijuana for some people very slightly but nothing like where you hear of getting hooked on. However, I must disagree about weed giving you an "intelligent high" it'll usually just make you want to sit on your ass and watch Tv and play a game and eat a lot. It's cool but if you're truly looking for an experience LSD, shrooms or mescaline are the way to go. It's a feeling that can be somewhat scary at first if you don't just relax and go with the flow. But it is almost beyond comprehension what it can do for you and the way it changes everything and the way you perceive things. If you're going to try it, it is practically necessary to do with at least one friend and in a cool chill environment like out in the woods or in your own home. I tend to prefer outside as it feels much more natural and earthy. Some people can go just about anywhere tripping and be around a ton of people but I would highly recommend you don't especially on your first time until you've familiarized yourself with the experience. But it can be well worth it. The most important thing is not to fight the feeling and to keep in mind that eventually you WILL return to earth.

DISCLAIMER***IF YOU HAVE DEPRESSION ISSUES, MENTAL ISSUES, ANGER PROBLEMS OR ARE IN ANY WAY UNSTABLE....DO NOT TAKE ANY FORM OF HALLUCINOGENS - IT COULD GO VERY BADLY

Last edited by Inner_Eulogy; 04-11-2008 at 08:35 PM..
Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Ignore Noose, he has this almighty complex all in his petty brain. Some real advice for ya' is probably not to do them at all but I won't be a hyopcrite and I will say that none of the 3 are addictive...if anything, marijuana for some people very slightly but nothing like where you hear of getting hooked on. However, I must disagree about weed giving you an "intelligent high" it'll usually just make you want to sit on your ass and watch Tv and play a game and eat a lot. It's cool but if you're truly looking for an experience LSD, shrooms or mescaline are the way to go. It's a feeling that can be somewhat scary at first if you don't just relax and go with the flow. But it is almost beyond comprehension what it can do for you and the way it changes everything and the way you perceive things. If you're going to try it, it is practically necessary to do with at least one friend and in a cool chill environment like out in the woods or in your own home. I tend to prefer outside as it feels much more natural and earthy. Some people can go just about anywhere tripping and be around a ton of people but I would highly recommend you don't especially on your first time until you've familiarized yourself with the experience. But it can be well worth it. The most important thing is not to fight the feeling and to keep in mind that eventually you WILL return to earth.

DISCLAIMER***IF YOU HAVE DEPRESSION ISSUES, MENTAL ISSUES, ANGER PROBLEMS OR ARE IN ANY WAY UNSTABLE....DO NOT TAKE ANY FORM OF HALLUCINOGENS - IT COULD GO VERY BADLY
Well I know my brother smoked pot for a few months then quit, you could call him "lazy" (he's 22 and still hasn't had a job). As for the depression and anger I've had those emotions recently but I've always managed to control them and never let them make me do something stupid. If I did do any of the drugs I'd get one of my friends to just sorta "watch" over me, make sure I don't do anything stupid and I'd definitely take out anything that could I could hurt myself with. I plan to do what Maynard did and try to reach that same state through meditation and other techniques not involving drugs. I've already practiced meditation and lucid dreaming and managed to reach a relaxed state but nothing more so far. Im also planning to have Tool playing in the background especially Lateralus and 10.000 days and just laying down and let the drug take me wherever it wants to. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

You said ignore me, yet you just repeated everything I just said. Get the fuck off your soap box already. Get laid or something.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Well I know my brother smoked pot for a few months then quit, you could call him "lazy" (he's 22 and still hasn't had a job). As for the depression and anger I've had those emotions recently but I've always managed to control them and never let them make me do something stupid. If I did do any of the drugs I'd get one of my friends to just sorta "watch" over me, make sure I don't do anything stupid and I'd definitely take out anything that could I could hurt myself with. I plan to do what Maynard did and try to reach that same state through meditation and other techniques not involving drugs. I've already practiced meditation and lucid dreaming and managed to reach a relaxed state but nothing more so far. Im also planning to have Tool playing in the background especially Lateralus and 10.000 days and just laying down and let the drug take me wherever it wants to. Thanks for the help.
One problem that people often have that hasn't really been discussed yet, is that people tend to forget that a drug is effecting them. You start thinking that this is the way you are now, and you're always going to be like this. You might find yourself reassuring yourself that it is only a drug effecting you.

For every good trip that I've had, I always set up my surroundings first. For example, if there was anything creative I wanted to do (Play guitar, draw, paint) I would have everything neatly set up and ready to go... so that I don't have to handle the complexities of plugging in a guitar while experiencing the mentality of a 3 year old.

There was one time I was tripping so hard that I couldn't figure out how to get my amp to turn down. I turned all the knobs down and it was still loud as fuck. I also found myself getting very frustrated with my surroundings if it was messy and disorganized (but thats just me).

I also recommend that you watch every Tool video there is (DVD quality of course).

Lets see, is there anything else...

oh yeah! Ice cream. Pick up a shitload of ice cream.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post
One problem that people often have that hasn't really been discussed yet, is that people tend to forget that a drug is effecting them. You start thinking that this is the way you are now, and you're always going to be like this. You might find yourself reassuring yourself that it is only a drug effecting you.

For every good trip that I've had, I always set up my surroundings first. For example, if there was anything creative I wanted to do (Play guitar, draw, paint) I would have everything neatly set up and ready to go... so that I don't have to handle the complexities of plugging in a guitar while experiencing the mentality of a 3 year old.

There was one time I was tripping so hard that I couldn't figure out how to get my amp to turn down. I turned all the knobs down and it was still loud as fuck. I also found myself getting very frustrated with my surroundings if it was messy and disorganized (but thats just me).

I also recommend that you watch every Tool video there is (DVD quality of course).

Lets see, is there anything else...

oh yeah! Ice cream. Pick up a shitload of ice cream.
Well the first thing I plan on doing is listening to Disposition, Intension, and Lateralus. I said to myself if I ever started drugs that I would first listen to those three songs. They've always hit me the hardest and sometimes when I close my eyes I can see blurs moving to the music. As for the videos, I only have Vicarious on dvd and the rest are recorded from youtube on my computer and aren't as good of quality.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Well the first thing I plan on doing is listening to Disposition, Intension, and Lateralus. I said to myself if I ever started drugs that I would first listen to those three songs. They've always hit me the hardest and sometimes when I close my eyes I can see blurs moving to the music. As for the videos, I only have Vicarious on dvd and the rest are recorded from youtube on my computer and aren't as good of quality.
Do you draw/paint/ anything like that? What are your hobbies?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post
Do you draw/paint/ anything like that? What are your hobbies?
I do play drums, but I plan on going to a friends house whenever I do take mushrooms, my parents are too nosey. And I can't really take my drum set with me.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: