Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
NoID's Avatar NoID
06-27-2006, 10:59 PM

Jambi, of course. There's no other way...
Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Most creative TOOL song on 10K Days?

Jambi, of course. There's no other way...
06-27-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
Viginti Tres synched up with Wings.

Seriously, Rosetta Stoned is one of the most creative, hard-to-digest-at-first songs I have ever heard. If I play this song for anyone who is not familiar with Tool I get very negative results. If I play it for them a few times with a long distance in between playings, they start to actually "listen" to it. The same thing happened to me. When I first heard the song ... well ... it sucked. Now it is my favorite song.
yeah, i agree. that song took awhile to grow on me too.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #42
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
Viginti Tres synched up with Wings.

Seriously, Rosetta Stoned is one of the most creative, hard-to-digest-at-first songs I have ever heard. If I play this song for anyone who is not familiar with Tool I get very negative results. If I play it for them a few times with a long distance in between playings, they start to actually "listen" to it. The same thing happened to me. When I first heard the song ... well ... it sucked. Now it is my favorite song.
yeah, i agree. that song took awhile to grow on me too.
Weapon's Avatar Weapon
06-27-2006, 11:51 PM

The Pot.

Opening with a high pitch, vocal solo is so not like tool. And that's fucking cool. Plus the way the rhythm is only held by one instrument at a time while the rest of the band does whatever they please is incredible.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 PM   #43
of the unconventional type

Bincount™: 616

The Pot.

Opening with a high pitch, vocal solo is so not like tool. And that's fucking cool. Plus the way the rhythm is only held by one instrument at a time while the rest of the band does whatever they please is incredible.
06-28-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMetalSox
Like smeefsmeef, I thought Rosetta stoned was a piece of garbage the first time I heard it. Then the second time I fell in love with it...
My experience with Rosetta Stoned was the reverse.
I vote for Intension.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #44
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMetalSox
Like smeefsmeef, I thought Rosetta stoned was a piece of garbage the first time I heard it. Then the second time I fell in love with it...
My experience with Rosetta Stoned was the reverse.
I vote for Intension.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Carnivoyeur's Avatar Carnivoyeur
06-28-2006, 01:27 PM

I like other songs on this album more, but I'd have to say The Pot/Lost Keys + Rosetta Stoned because the singing on those two is something I'm not used to hearing from Tool. (High Pitched + Rapid Murmurs) The way The Pot is played is awesome, too...
Old 06-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

I like other songs on this album more, but I'd have to say The Pot/Lost Keys + Rosetta Stoned because the singing on those two is something I'm not used to hearing from Tool. (High Pitched + Rapid Murmurs) The way The Pot is played is awesome, too...
OGT from back in the day's Avatar OGT from back in the day
06-28-2006, 01:30 PM

nipple
Old 06-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #46
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

nipple
Tachyon
06-28-2006, 02:28 PM

Most creative songs are the songs which the first reaction is: WTFUCK is this?? And that was the first reaction when I heard Rosetta Stoned for the first time. I never felt so confused at a beginning of a Tool song. I get the whole recycled riff-thing but I can't any other Tool-song when I listen to Rosetta Stoned. The climax on this song is amazing and I'm always baffeled when I hear the drum/bass-bridge-part it's fucking amazing.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #47
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Most creative songs are the songs which the first reaction is: WTFUCK is this?? And that was the first reaction when I heard Rosetta Stoned for the first time. I never felt so confused at a beginning of a Tool song. I get the whole recycled riff-thing but I can't any other Tool-song when I listen to Rosetta Stoned. The climax on this song is amazing and I'm always baffeled when I hear the drum/bass-bridge-part it's fucking amazing.
06-28-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
Everyone is going to blast me, because OMG HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT WHEN ITS ALL LIEK RECYCLED RIFFS but Rosetta Stoned. It's taking a twist from the historical artifact and making it into something of their own, from what they have said before, in a new light, in a new way, mocking those who cant grow up.
I don't understand people complaining about the recycle of riffs (I know you are not one of them). I am sure they used some old riffs for Lateralus, and I am sure they have some riffs left from this recording session that they will use later on.

take child in time by deep purple, it is a tune by it is a beautiful day, but used in such a creative way that the song is a classic. same with tool and rosetta stoned. I agree with you on this one paraflux.

rosetta is the most innvoative, though my favorite is vicarious. and I can tell you, it is a monster live! but that is a different story:)
Old 06-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #48

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
Everyone is going to blast me, because OMG HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT WHEN ITS ALL LIEK RECYCLED RIFFS but Rosetta Stoned. It's taking a twist from the historical artifact and making it into something of their own, from what they have said before, in a new light, in a new way, mocking those who cant grow up.
I don't understand people complaining about the recycle of riffs (I know you are not one of them). I am sure they used some old riffs for Lateralus, and I am sure they have some riffs left from this recording session that they will use later on.

take child in time by deep purple, it is a tune by it is a beautiful day, but used in such a creative way that the song is a classic. same with tool and rosetta stoned. I agree with you on this one paraflux.

rosetta is the most innvoative, though my favorite is vicarious. and I can tell you, it is a monster live! but that is a different story:)
shorabali's Avatar shorabali
06-28-2006, 03:49 PM

jambi and rosetta are the most creative. not necessarily the best songs but definately most creative.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #49
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

jambi and rosetta are the most creative. not necessarily the best songs but definately most creative.
06-28-2006, 04:15 PM

right in two gets my vote.

i think the way the pulled off the political stance was a very warm and intuitive listen.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #50
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

right in two gets my vote.

i think the way the pulled off the political stance was a very warm and intuitive listen.
MarcDrums's Avatar MarcDrums
06-28-2006, 04:53 PM

Lost Keys + Rosetta Stoned

so amazing.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #51

Lost Keys + Rosetta Stoned

so amazing.
discocj69's Avatar discocj69
06-28-2006, 05:29 PM

1. Jambi
2. 10000 Days
3. Right In Two
Old 06-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #52
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 45

1. Jambi
2. 10000 Days
3. Right In Two
06-28-2006, 05:32 PM

I like Rosetta Stoned. But, I don't think that the music and vocals come together like they do in Jambi or 10000 Days. It tells a strange and facinating story, though. Definitely a song that grows on you.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #53
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 45

I like Rosetta Stoned. But, I don't think that the music and vocals come together like they do in Jambi or 10000 Days. It tells a strange and facinating story, though. Definitely a song that grows on you.
06-28-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discocj69
I voted rosetta and still stand by that in the most "creative" catagory, but you're right about one thing...Jambi stands alone in a different TOOL sort of way. "...might as well be gone...", then ripping into a different time change. No difinitive climax, but the song just rivets. Love it more and more. In fact even 2 months later, the entire album just gets better. An even more seductive pleasureable experience than lateralus, at least from a musical perspective. Jambi is a fucking original. My second favorite on this album.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #54
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:
Originally Posted by discocj69
I voted rosetta and still stand by that in the most "creative" catagory, but you're right about one thing...Jambi stands alone in a different TOOL sort of way. "...might as well be gone...", then ripping into a different time change. No difinitive climax, but the song just rivets. Love it more and more. In fact even 2 months later, the entire album just gets better. An even more seductive pleasureable experience than lateralus, at least from a musical perspective. Jambi is a fucking original. My second favorite on this album.
Nous
06-30-2006, 12:39 AM

The song which does it to me on this album (and unfortunately probably the only one) is 10,000 days...It just sucks me in every time..
Old 06-30-2006, 12:39 AM   #55
Level 4 - Thinker

The song which does it to me on this album (and unfortunately probably the only one) is 10,000 days...It just sucks me in every time..
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-30-2006, 12:52 AM

OMG HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT WHEN ITS ALL LIEK RECYCLED RIFFS

Jambi.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:52 AM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

OMG HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT WHEN ITS ALL LIEK RECYCLED RIFFS

Jambi.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
11-21-2006, 08:28 AM

Rosetta Stoned. there should be no argument here.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #57
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Rosetta Stoned. there should be no argument here.
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
11-21-2006, 08:40 AM

Intension
Old 11-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #58
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

Intension
duncang's Avatar duncang
11-21-2006, 01:00 PM

Intension
Be A Human
Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #59
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Intension
Be A Human
11-21-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
Rosetta Stoned is one of the most creative. there should be no argument here.
fixed.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #60
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
Rosetta Stoned is one of the most creative. there should be no argument here.
fixed.
Confield's Avatar Confield
11-21-2006, 07:57 PM

wings, by far. no doubt about it.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #61
On Probation

Bincount™: 35

wings, by far. no doubt about it.
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
11-22-2006, 03:07 AM

Rosetta Stoned is very cool and completely unexpected (especially linked with Lost Keys). And both Wings are brilliant (but not so unexpected (although what the fuck would I know? I have not been a fan for long enought to HAVE any expectations!)

BUT, for me, the most creative song on 10,000 days is "Right in Two". The vote has to go with Danny and the drums. That song is brilliant. The lyrics are so insightful and the way Intension builds up the themes is awesome. I just love the tabla and then the way the song merges back into "normal" drums it is so creative. I have never heard anything like it. AND it is a helpful song - it helps me understand what is going on - and that is entirely unexpected. You do not expect a song to be a tool - a piece of equipment to help you "work out" the world.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 AM   #62
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Rosetta Stoned is very cool and completely unexpected (especially linked with Lost Keys). And both Wings are brilliant (but not so unexpected (although what the fuck would I know? I have not been a fan for long enought to HAVE any expectations!)

BUT, for me, the most creative song on 10,000 days is "Right in Two". The vote has to go with Danny and the drums. That song is brilliant. The lyrics are so insightful and the way Intension builds up the themes is awesome. I just love the tabla and then the way the song merges back into "normal" drums it is so creative. I have never heard anything like it. AND it is a helpful song - it helps me understand what is going on - and that is entirely unexpected. You do not expect a song to be a tool - a piece of equipment to help you "work out" the world.
11-22-2006, 06:18 AM

^ i actually feel that RiT is pretty straightforward, musically speaking. The repeated riff, the steady rhythm. I don't know much about anything, but certainly Intension takes the cake by someones standards. And Rosetta Stoned was a COMPLETE surprise for me... not so much Intension. intension paralleled what Reflection did in Lat. But RS? that was a stumper for me...
Old 11-22-2006, 06:18 AM   #63
Banned.

^ i actually feel that RiT is pretty straightforward, musically speaking. The repeated riff, the steady rhythm. I don't know much about anything, but certainly Intension takes the cake by someones standards. And Rosetta Stoned was a COMPLETE surprise for me... not so much Intension. intension paralleled what Reflection did in Lat. But RS? that was a stumper for me...
toolgirly's Avatar toolgirly
11-22-2006, 02:32 PM

As a non musician, I have to go with Wings 1&2. The transitions you go through are just krazy.

Although L\K R\S are kick ass too.

O
|\ __O
_|_| \
Old 11-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

As a non musician, I have to go with Wings 1&2. The transitions you go through are just krazy.

Although L\K R\S are kick ass too.

O
|\ __O
_|_| \
base metal's Avatar base metal
11-22-2006, 04:49 PM

Hmmm...I'm gonna have to say.

Intension
Rosetta Stoned
Old 11-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #65
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

Hmmm...I'm gonna have to say.

Intension
Rosetta Stoned
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
11-22-2006, 04:53 PM

Most creative? Intension. It's a pretty new and different sound for Tool.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #66
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

dissected-detcessid's Avatar dissected-detcessid
11-22-2006, 05:11 PM

Mos def Rosetta Stoned.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #67
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Mos def Rosetta Stoned.
mike09's Avatar mike09
11-22-2006, 05:43 PM

Wings For Marie/10,000 Days when considered one song is their most creative song, IMO.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #68
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Wings For Marie/10,000 Days when considered one song is their most creative song, IMO.
Opiate Son's Avatar Opiate Son
11-23-2006, 07:37 AM

i have to go with Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned followed closely by Wings/10,000 Days. followed even more closely by the rest of the cd. i don't think anyone saw this coming, The Pot, Intension, Jambi, Right In Two all caught eveyone off guard. even those who don't like 10,000 Days would probably agree to this.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:37 AM   #69
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 43

i have to go with Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned followed closely by Wings/10,000 Days. followed even more closely by the rest of the cd. i don't think anyone saw this coming, The Pot, Intension, Jambi, Right In Two all caught eveyone off guard. even those who don't like 10,000 Days would probably agree to this.
11-23-2006, 03:48 PM

"Lipan Conjuring"
Old 11-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #70
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"Lipan Conjuring"
Hannibal's Avatar Hannibal
11-23-2006, 04:10 PM

Jambi.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #71
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 144

Jambi.
11-23-2006, 07:44 PM

jambi, that verse rhythm is unheard of
Old 11-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #72
Level 4 - Thinker

jambi, that verse rhythm is unheard of
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
11-23-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance. View Post

and hopefully the future sound of tool
Old 11-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #73
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance. View Post

and hopefully the future sound of tool
tool fan
11-24-2006, 09:46 PM

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned has to top the list. Awesome tune but it is out there.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #74
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned has to top the list. Awesome tune but it is out there.
11-25-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression
"Lipan Conjuring"
please.

that was like, "hey McConnel, want to do this segue for us?"
-"Sure"
Old 11-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #75
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression
"Lipan Conjuring"
please.

that was like, "hey McConnel, want to do this segue for us?"
-"Sure"
wix3l's Avatar wix3l
11-25-2006, 10:08 AM

Rosetta Stoned.

Never heard a song tell a story like this one does. Very creative and funny lyrics too.
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #76
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

Rosetta Stoned.

Never heard a song tell a story like this one does. Very creative and funny lyrics too.
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
11-25-2006, 11:34 AM

^

see?
Old 11-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #77
Banned.

^

see?
PShepherd11's Avatar PShepherd11
11-26-2006, 06:44 AM

I love the whole album, but there is something about Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned that is addictive and makes me want to listen it more. It's a kick ass song, definitely interesting.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #78
Level 11 - Moogle (tdn $upporter)

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature
Bincount™: 694

I love the whole album, but there is something about Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned that is addictive and makes me want to listen it more. It's a kick ass song, definitely interesting.
lateralus15
11-28-2006, 12:37 AM

Jambi without a doubt. How the hell does Adam Jones make this song so good by playing just one note...super-creative
Old 11-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #79
Level 4 - Thinker

Jambi without a doubt. How the hell does Adam Jones make this song so good by playing just one note...super-creative
the_failsafe's Avatar the_failsafe
11-28-2006, 08:28 PM

I myself am not a musician but a big fan of music in general. When the word "creative" comes to mind in association with tool songs/lyrics I will always find it difficult to choose. As for the 10,000 days album I think musically my favorite would have to be Jambi for the mere fact that it totally rocks, and I really don't care how easy or difficult a song is to perform but what it says to the soul of an individual is what matters most, and that's something that you can't take from that person. So, for me Jambi, ever since i first heard it has placed in a very concentrated train of thought in me, very straight forward and powerful, to the point and moving. Lyrically however, something creative these days to me would be words you can almost live by, which of course we all know is very rare these days when it comes to most music and the self indulgent, unimportant topics they deal with. Right in Two and Vicarious are a breath of fresh fucking air in this ocean of depressed, broken hearted, party animals that keep getting record deals. These songs to me almost break the barriers of sound consciousness in our sad little society we are all mixed up in. Don't want to "over think" or course, but it's always good to have a mind to help you choose what is right and wrong. So, with songs like these it makes it easier to move ahead feeling like you're the only one in your surroundings that feels there's far more then this fragile reality "someone" is trying to create for us, that we should never give in, do our hardest to make this a better place to live in. We don't have to be the ones vicariously living through tragedy, or beating our brothers down over simple possessions we all hold so dearly, we are all one and we're in this together so lets make it as good for everyone as possible.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #80
Level 3 - Talker

I myself am not a musician but a big fan of music in general. When the word "creative" comes to mind in association with tool songs/lyrics I will always find it difficult to choose. As for the 10,000 days album I think musically my favorite would have to be Jambi for the mere fact that it totally rocks, and I really don't care how easy or difficult a song is to perform but what it says to the soul of an individual is what matters most, and that's something that you can't take from that person. So, for me Jambi, ever since i first heard it has placed in a very concentrated train of thought in me, very straight forward and powerful, to the point and moving. Lyrically however, something creative these days to me would be words you can almost live by, which of course we all know is very rare these days when it comes to most music and the self indulgent, unimportant topics they deal with. Right in Two and Vicarious are a breath of fresh fucking air in this ocean of depressed, broken hearted, party animals that keep getting record deals. These songs to me almost break the barriers of sound consciousness in our sad little society we are all mixed up in. Don't want to "over think" or course, but it's always good to have a mind to help you choose what is right and wrong. So, with songs like these it makes it easier to move ahead feeling like you're the only one in your surroundings that feels there's far more then this fragile reality "someone" is trying to create for us, that we should never give in, do our hardest to make this a better place to live in. We don't have to be the ones vicariously living through tragedy, or beating our brothers down over simple possessions we all hold so dearly, we are all one and we're in this together so lets make it as good for everyone as possible.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply