Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Lebowski Urban Achiever
12-19-2006, 06:19 PM

Most Tool fans are very involved in the music, and as soon as it is available to them they begin doing what a true music fan is supposed to do: investigating and forming opinions. For anybody who hasn't covered this base yet, here goes:

The music on "10,000 Days" covers a lot of ground, and it is believed among a large sect of the fanbase that the title of the album is a direct reference to the suffering of Maynard's late mother, and his respect for her. I don't not disagree to this one bit. Even though it may only be incidental, the title runs deeper. Given the nature of the album, especially the song "Right in Two" the following can be seen as relevant connections:

1. The Vietnam War, including the time frame in which it involved the French, last approximately 27 years (c. 1945 - 1973)
2. Every 24 hours the world's population expends an amount of natural resource energy that it took the Sun 10,000 days to generate. Refer to 'The Ecology of Commerce' by Paul Hawken.
3. In an interview in some music magazine (forgive me for not remembering the issue), Maynard refered to the title as a sort of testimant of his disilusion over the Bush Presidency and the state of foreign affairs in the 21st century. Maybe he was being half-hearted when he said it, but he did make the reference.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
References to 10,000 Days

Most Tool fans are very involved in the music, and as soon as it is available to them they begin doing what a true music fan is supposed to do: investigating and forming opinions. For anybody who hasn't covered this base yet, here goes:

The music on "10,000 Days" covers a lot of ground, and it is believed among a large sect of the fanbase that the title of the album is a direct reference to the suffering of Maynard's late mother, and his respect for her. I don't not disagree to this one bit. Even though it may only be incidental, the title runs deeper. Given the nature of the album, especially the song "Right in Two" the following can be seen as relevant connections:

1. The Vietnam War, including the time frame in which it involved the French, last approximately 27 years (c. 1945 - 1973)
2. Every 24 hours the world's population expends an amount of natural resource energy that it took the Sun 10,000 days to generate. Refer to 'The Ecology of Commerce' by Paul Hawken.
3. In an interview in some music magazine (forgive me for not remembering the issue), Maynard refered to the title as a sort of testimant of his disilusion over the Bush Presidency and the state of foreign affairs in the 21st century. Maybe he was being half-hearted when he said it, but he did make the reference.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Thirdeye11
12-20-2006, 08:30 AM

What does number 3 have to do with a period of 27 years? The 21st century is not 27 years long (a century is 100 years long in case you weren't aware), and the Bush presidency, even if you include his father's term in office, is only 12 years. I'm not sure I make the connection on number 3. Maynard may have made reference to it during that discussion, but I'm not sure the two are numerically connected.

As far as the Vietnam war and energy references, cool find!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Re: References to 10,000 Days

What does number 3 have to do with a period of 27 years? The 21st century is not 27 years long (a century is 100 years long in case you weren't aware), and the Bush presidency, even if you include his father's term in office, is only 12 years. I'm not sure I make the connection on number 3. Maynard may have made reference to it during that discussion, but I'm not sure the two are numerically connected.

As far as the Vietnam war and energy references, cool find!
januscomplex's Avatar januscomplex
12-20-2006, 11:35 AM

if you believed everything MJK said you would probably still think the band was dead.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

if you believed everything MJK said you would probably still think the band was dead.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
12-20-2006, 01:25 PM

In an interview, Tool said they had a lot of inspiration for the new record by this unknown guy that I forgot the name of because no one ever talks about him! Gale or whatever. Wikipedia had up that exactly this guy said "have you really lived 10,000 days or just 1 day 10,000 times", but Wikipedia erased it again after they heard of the theory of Maynard's mum, and they thought that those two ideas contradicted. But I don't think so. I think maybe the picking of the album and song title had something to do wih this mysterious guy.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

In an interview, Tool said they had a lot of inspiration for the new record by this unknown guy that I forgot the name of because no one ever talks about him! Gale or whatever. Wikipedia had up that exactly this guy said "have you really lived 10,000 days or just 1 day 10,000 times", but Wikipedia erased it again after they heard of the theory of Maynard's mum, and they thought that those two ideas contradicted. But I don't think so. I think maybe the picking of the album and song title had something to do wih this mysterious guy.
slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
12-20-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21 View Post

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=37256
Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21 View Post

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=37256
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
12-21-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by januscomplex View Post
And that Morrissey is the illegitimate, anally birthed, son of Elvis and Liberace.

(listen to the 1994-02-23 show)
Old 12-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #6
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
Originally Posted by januscomplex View Post
And that Morrissey is the illegitimate, anally birthed, son of Elvis and Liberace.

(listen to the 1994-02-23 show)
12-27-2006, 09:04 PM

Also, 10,000 days is roughly the time it takes Saturn to make its full orbit. The Grudge...
Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Also, 10,000 days is roughly the time it takes Saturn to make its full orbit. The Grudge...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply