opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/15 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/15 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre

epic.

(setlist same as chicago)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
On Probation

great show, same setlist with right in two.......the show really complimented the rack of baby back ribs i had at Pegasus Taverna beforehand.....deeeelicious

Last edited by oceanman; 05-15-2006 at 07:07 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Danny Carey is scarry, and I mean SCARRY good at his craft. Every time I see hime he blows my socks off. For instance, during tonight's performance of "46 & 2" I just stood there with my jaw open in awe. So hard to explain to someone who was not there, but for all those who were there you all know what I mean.
Maynard, Adam and Justin played outstanding, as usual as well.

Tool is a live experience unlike any other, it is worth every last cent for the ticket.

Past:
16 September 2001-Palace of Auburn Hills
26 August 2002-Cobo Arena
23 October 2002-Toledo Sports Arena
15 May 2006-Fox Theatre
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Holy shit that was awesome.

Right In Two was my highlight, it was just amazing.

Forty Six and Two was badass, as was Aenema. What a way to close the show.

I couldn't have asked for more and I can't wait for the Fall tour.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

lk/rosetta stoned
stinkfist
46&2
jambi
schism
right in two
sober
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

thats what I remember anyways I think I may have forgotten a few already though.

I was hoping to see em play the pot, prison sex, opiate and parabol/a too though but they played stinkfist so I was satisfied. I could have done without sober, right in two and schism especially those ones just happen to be down the list for myself.

great show though worth the bucks absolutely

Last edited by buster hymen; 05-15-2006 at 07:45 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was amazing.

I was expecting the curtain to open sideways but instead it went up, and there already Justin with his base starting with Lost Keys (instrumental) illuminated with blue unearthly light. After a while Adam showed up followed by Carrey who got even more applause that Maynard himself.

Thats funny but at the minute when show started you could smell grass. Was it a band getting us high?

Setlist was the same but with Right in Two.

Of course I am a fan but a little bit of criticism is always constructive. Visuals for songs from 10000 days weren't any good. Propably they changed during The Big Tour.

Maynard was very jovial and relaxed. Joked a lot. Anyone remember what he was saying?

I still hear ringing in my ears.

Show was great!!!

BEfore the doors were open I stood for a while by their buses and even saw Adam walking through back door who was unwilling to sign any autographs. I think each member of the band has his own bus. Maynard has the blueish one.

I can't wait what other people write about the show.

Now I pine away...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

"Jesus fucking Christ you guys are fuckin' loud." MJK. Sums up the show. Amazing in every aspect.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

uhhhhh

1st tool show.

Lateralus by far was the best for me.

the ending blew my head off , the way he just held his hands up.

and i never knew there was an extended live version of schism, but it soudned good.

the intro to sober was sweeeeeeeet

only complaint was sometimes it was a little difficult to hear maynard , i'm not sure if thats his problem or the equiptment or the theater or whatever though. and why the hell did it start so late?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranello550
only complaint was sometimes it was a little difficult to hear maynard , i'm not sure if thats his problem or the equiptment or the theater or whatever though. and why the hell did it start so late?
I noticed the vocal problems too, I'm not sure what caused it though.

I would guess they started late because everyone was so slow to get in with the security they had
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

I was a little dissapointed with the joke about adding a wing to his vinyard. He repeated himself. People wrote that MJK said the same thing during some other show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #12
Level 20 - Saget
Suicide Booth ID: 16

Bincount™: 1522

Wow. First Tool concert. Amazing. Just amazing. This was the best experience of my short little life. And it probably always will be. The only disappointment was the Talk Box solo on Jambi was barely audible.

Fuck. I can't really think straight. Im just going crazy. The only thing that sucks is the rain kind of ruined my poster. Hopefully when I get a frame it'll his the tear.

OneEru- I doubt anyone was able to get a camera in there.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Amazing show as always, I'm not sure if it was just because I was closer or if the screens with the visuals on them were bigger than on the Lateralus tour, but it sure seemed like they were bigger. Danny Carey is the most awe-inspiring musician I've ever watched perform.

Maynard seemed a bit more talkative than the last few times I saw them as well.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

As usual, an overwhelming and enlightening experience... I am looking forward to the bigger arena shows though. I enjoyed the light mood of the band...friendly and amusing. Moments of psychedelia were perfect, especially the part preceding Vicarious.

The sound was really muddy in the main floor area (close to the orchestra pit). How did it sound in other places?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

wow. my first tool show, it was fucking great. from where i was i did not have a problem hearing anything and i could hear the talk box solo rather well. i think i was the only person there not smokeing some grass. i saw several people taking pictures and taking video with their phones.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofreality
The sound was really muddy in the main floor area (close to the orchestra pit). How did it sound in other places?
I was sitting in M7, second row. I found the sound poor personally. Only thing I could comprehend was Danny on the drums. Everything else was just too drown out.

Besides the late start, good ass show.

First Tool concert too.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #17
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 88

I was sitting on the balcony and it sounded fine. Rosetta Stoned had muffled vocals it seemed, but the talk box on Jambi was perfectly audible and the rest of the show was amazing.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

My 8th show. Always great performances from the group. I was in F and the sound was crystal. Amazing how they can play that loud and still sound precise.

My criticism is directed to the set list. Opiate and Undertow are two albums which pulled many fans in, and to only hear Sober from the combination kinda stunk. Great song, don't get me wrong, but when you can't hear Maynard because the drunk cow next to you is belting out her version... it kinda takes away from the experience.

I will say for $66.66 I would expect a longer list of songs... especially with no opener. that said; Lateralus and Right in Two were worth the cost of the ticket.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

They hung out on the stage for a while sorta soaking up the crowd and waving/thanking the crowd. They all seemed very happy and enjoyable. The visual screens were incredible, it looked like they were 10' by 12' HDtv's!!

Maynard was talking about the Pistons playing too. He mentioned something, which yielded little crowd response, then said "ok, how about 'go pistons'?".
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #20
On Probation

Bincount™: 7

kick ass show super tired write more in the morning

right in two was the hightlight

i really like sober but ever song kicked ass
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

This is my 3rd Tool show...(Voodoo Fest, New Orleans & Pensacola, both Lateralus tours)

Musically the show was very good. Disappointed they didn't play the Pot (since there was so much going around at the show!) The big difference was no visuals, similar to the Lateralus show. They really had a lot of signs about no camera phones, but nobody hassled me about mine. Got some decent shots, but nothing great. Too bad camera phones suck. I look forward to them coming back in the late Summer. (Unless of course there are terrential downpours as Maynard said).

Does anyone know what was on the screen next to Danny? It looked like a TV from the balcony...I figure they were watching the playoffs during the show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

that show was the best to come to detroit in a long time, the previous concerts maynard had attitude, but he was very relaxed and in a good mood, i think the whole band was in an exceptional mood

i was in the 14th row just to the right and in front of the sound board and the sound was exceptional, understood every word except for rosetta stoned. best tool show i have been to out of 5, i thought adam nailed the talk box solo, the aenima solo with the slide was a bit rusty though. definately my best show ever. lateralus was the most intense and the highlight i think.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #23
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

i'm deaf, i can't speak i lost my voice. can't explain it. those who were there know what it was like and those who weren't then...wow.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #24
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Bincount™: 832

Setlist
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Maynardisms
After Rosetta Stoned “Jesus fucking Christ you guys are fuckin' loud."

After Stinkfist

“So your pistons are not playing to well”

“I’m more of a football fan myself”

“Fuck the Clippers”

There were others but I can’t think right now.

So three and a half years since my last Tool show in October 2002 in East Lansing it is safe to say I was more than pumped for this Tool show. Got to the parking garage at 7:00 traffic was a bitch. We got in the arena at 7:45. I went to the merchandise table and got my 2 Tool tour T-Shirts and A Poster. No Tax and it was $95.00 even. We were in out seats by 7:50. Around 8:10 the lights went down and this masterpiece of a band put on one of the best shows of all time which we would know in about 95 Minutes.

Adams guitar sounded crunchy as fuck right away which it would be the rest of the show. Maynard with no shirt, a Mohawk, and a cowboy hat too boot on. His vocals sounded really good in my opinion. Danny was top notch as always and as I saw with pigmy love circus and tool three and a half years ago is he hit’s those drums so hard and is just amazing. Justin makes you forget he was brought in for Paul in 95 he sounds so good and it’s hard to imagine there was one before him and that Justin himself was not the bassist from the beginning. The images on the big screens were excellent as well.

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned: It is a brilliant opener. Hands down. Maynard going nuts with leg kicks and he
Had a megaphone to change his vocals a little

Stinkfist: I love the new addition in the middle before “I keep Digging”. Everything else kick ass.

Forty Six & Two: Nothing new as I could pick up but it sounded so good.

Jambi: The talk box was awesome; Danny’s drumming is jaw dropping; Maynard nailed the vocals.

Schism: Sounded like there was a new breakdown in the middle. Purely Awesome.

Right in two: Only disappointment. Not because the song sucked because It kicks ass and it was a brilliant performance. I don’t mind not hearing The Pot because that will be played in the fall. I just don’t like how we missed out on Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patient because I don’t know if that will be played on the fall tour and that’s the only song from Lateralus I have not heard live. We ended up losing a song by right in two playing.

Sober: Love MJK using the keyboard introduction and Danny using the gong. It was Beautiful.
The band sat on center stage for about two minutes. Crowd chanted Tool. Maynard says “You have to do better then boa-ties and jockstraps, we want bras and panties” “Fine we will play fucking longer”

Lateralus: One word: Amazing.

Maynard “Drive home safely and hopefully we will see you Late summer”

Vicarious: Way better live then studio. The studio version kicks ass but live takes it to a whole new level.

Ænema: One of the best Tool songs ever. The sky must have listened to MJK because it was pouring outside. You have to love Michigan Weather.

Anyway it was the best sounding concert I have been to. Tool confirmed there G.O.A.T (Greatest of all time) status. They threw pout water bottles, drumheads, picks, and drum sticks. Danny had a Clippers jersey on. Pistons lost I had to find out on the street from a homeless dude I was hoping he was fucked up but her was right they lost. It did not take away from my night though. Awesome. It’s 1:01 AM and im signing off. One thing though………………………..

“See you late summer”.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:03 PM   #25
anu
Level 4 - Thinker

The Fox Theatre—like Detroit—was full of irony and contradiction. At first, I just wanted to bask in how laid back, luminescent, and luxurious it all was. It seemed that the opulent, temple-like pleasure palace was itself a profound statement of symbolism and symmetry—like Tool.

But then, there were some problems. Like security everywhere. Like binoculars confiscated and checked at the front. Like the uniformed Detroit cop that stood beside me for “Right in Two,” looking lost and bewildered. (Of course, if we as a people ‘got it’—the message of that song that is—we wouldn’t need cops and security and metal detectors.) The strict, ‘no-dancing-in-the-aisles’ vibes, and at first, the jovial yet giant people in front of us, making it hard for my wife to see, all kept me from getting relaxed and comfortable.

But cops and big buff beer drinkers would have been no worry—if it weren’t for one thing. One thing would have made it all. And it wasn’t the cost of the tickets or the travel or the sightline or too short setlist (we moved up about 10 rows, thank the goddess).

One thing made the difference between feeling it and not, between riding the wave and getting stuck with a mouth full of sand instead of sound, between perfect and ‘what the fuck?’

Sound. Before Maynard adds to the vineyard, give some hard-working Tool fans a robust bottom and a muscular middle, a stellar sound system that I can feel in my heart and testes—
not some muddy, garbled mess to test my patience.

If this is the art metal of redemptive anger, agit-prog blues, and psych-core ‘spiral out’—and not just another corporate charade of sham—then give the children what they want and need, and that’s the noise and the depth, the sonic truth. Now, I imagine from what I’ve read that some places in the venue had that—but why should it be so spotty?

Why not the back balcony? Where’s the justice in letting the poor fucks in the nosebleed section wonder why they can’t feel the blistering bass? At a few passing points, I finally could make out what Maynard said or sang for a moment, or I could feel Danny’s drums drive a stick into my heart. But other times, I was holding my ears. Praying for tidal waves of sound that did not come.

I would love to hear how others experienced the sound system. As the band builds for a return tour in arenas, I hope some integral person of integrity in the Tool organization will guarantee that people in the upper elevations aren’t dreaming about putting on the headphones when they get home. (While I write, I’m listening to the setlist with my headphones.)

As I type these reflections, I wish I could honestly say I’d seen a better show than my first Tool adventure in Nashville. But that just isn’t the case. My first Lateralus show in 2001 is still the standard by which their future shows will be judged. Having heard some really decent mixes at rock shows in larger venues, I know it’s possible to be popular and committed to a kind of quality control when it comes time to take action, to administer acoustically astonishing soundgasms that will reverberate for days.

Maynard is a risky and dangerous and powerful magician. He said he was from Akron and rooting for the Cavs against the Pistons; then, he argued that he didn’t care about it at all. Then, a song break later, he said ‘go Pistons.’ But his original, ‘I am going to fuck with these people about the game’ gesture was actually the most pure and sincere. And of course, Cleveland won tonight’s game by two points.

But on a more serious and sobering note (“Sober,” by the way, was great), his introduction to “Ænema” touched on something we should all pause and consider. He talked about the weather, insinuating with clarity, that he knew how damning and prophetic the last song would be. It was like, and I paraphrase, “If the continent isn’t covered by water by then, we’ll be back in August.” He’s obviously paying attention. Are we?

Essentially, the magic of “I’m praying for rain” is coming true. Mom is flushing it all away. From Asian tsumani to American hurricane to this week’s floods, the times spoken of as myth and prophecy in the lyrics of that song are upon us. “Some say we will see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will.” As we stepped from the crowded lobby of the Fox into the open air of Woodward Avenue, a gentle rain baptized us, and then, a torrent pounded us. Learn to swim, learn to walk to your car in a Detroit downpour.

I’m sure the band played hard, their hearts out on the line, and I hope I have the chance to see them when they come back. I hope my seats and the sound system are better. But I really care that we listen. We can decide if it’s “Intension” or “Right in Two,” whether it’s an endless death rattle that will make “Vicarious” real or a real reality shift that will realize the consciousness implied by “Jambi” and “Lateralus.”

Props to the person from Kalamazoo I met in our original Gallery B seats before moving. Props to all the parents I saw out partying with their kids. Props to all the lovers who made Monday into a maddeningly psychedelic date night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:03 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

perfect show , couldnt of asked for more, now its time to sit and wait for theyr returning tour from overseas but it will be worth it
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #27
APT
Jörmungandr

Bincount™: 929

Words cannot describe how awesome this night was.

It started off with the guys we parked next to in the parking garage bumming us about 6 beers. From there I walked towards the front of the Fox and just took pictures of the sign and all of the people walking outside. We went back to the car to put the camera away and drink a bit more. We walked to the Fox right across the street and entered. We each bought a tour shirt (#2 and #4). We entered the auditorium area and a guy bought for us. My buddy used one of the empty 32 oz. cups to get "2 refills". We drank those as we went to the roped off smoking section outside where the line of people had snaked to all the way around the building. After some walking around we entered the main theatre. This place was classy. Velvet seats and intricate walls and a monster dome-type cieling. The anticipation was building as it was past 8 and people were still pouring in. Purple light could be seen seeping from behind the curtain. And then the lights dimmed. Me and my buddy were 5th row in F5 so we were about 15 feet from the speakers. Justins bass began shreaking as the curtains acended, thus beginning a monster of a concert. Each thump on the drums or strum on the guitar sent a vibration through my body.

After Rosetta Stoned concluded the place was roaring and Maynard says, "Jesus Christ you guys are fucking loud."

Justin impressed me the most I think and he seemed so into it. At points he was stomping his foot like Maynard use to do.

The alternative versions of Stinkfist and Schism were so very kick ass.

Maynard said the Pistons were having trouble with the Cavs and people booed. So then he says well I'm from Akron area so I'm torn. Then he says well all I know is fuck the Clippers (Danny had a Clippers jersey on) and everyone cheered while Danny just laughed while shaking his head.

I really wasn't even paying attention to the screens. One section of the Mezz level was sitting down I'm not sure what was up with them.

My ears still feel like someone is holding big seashells up to them.
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
-Vince Lombardi
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:22 PM   #28
anu
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by APT
Each thump on the drums or strum on the guitar sent a vibration through my body.
I'm not really jealous (I'm glad for you), but I flew from Tennessee to get one taste of this feeling you describe, and the chemistry never kicked in.

I'm thrilled to know it's still possible.

While Maynard keeps praying for rain, I'm also praying for better seats for the next set of shows.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:28 PM   #29
APT
Jörmungandr

Bincount™: 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu
I'm not really jealous (I'm glad for you), but I flew from Tennessee to get one taste of this feeling you describe, and the chemistry never kicked in.

I'm thrilled to know it's still possible.

While Maynard keeps praying for rain, I'm also praying for better seats for the next set of shows.
I'm sorry to hear. This was my first and probably my last Tool concert I'll ever get to attend and I am greatful it lived up to my expectations.

Even the quiet parts of the songs, such as right after the initial climax of Lateralus, were booming live.
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
-Vince Lombardi
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #30
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

First Tool concert for me, had really high expectations going in and Tool delivered even more than I anticipated. The sound was amazing, I didn't think a concert could sound so good. I think the back of the floor level was perfect sound wise, you could feel it for sure but it also didn't completely kill my ears. The visuals were great but I can't wait to see more in the later tour. Simply amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Wow. You know just as well as I do words can not describe what Tool put on tonight.

I was screaming every word of aenima, almost crying I had so much excitment, wanting it to not end. Absolutly Fucking Amazing. worth every fuckin penny i spent on that scalped ticket.

F3 row GG, seat 302

Late summer it is maynard... I will see you again soon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122

amazing... what an inspiring, brilliant performance. all 4 of them seemed to be right on the money... damn my eyes are still ringing. vicarious and Ænema were the perfect closers. when maynard came in on that last "vicariously i live while the whole world dies" i nearly pissed myself. lost keys and rosetta stoned were splendid openers... also it was cool to see right in two performed for only the second time live. the extended version of stinkfist (suspicious minds?) sticks out in my mind... this was my 3rd time seeing maynard with TOOL and the 6th time overall and he has yet to let me down with a performance yet... cant wait for the arena shows

Last edited by rembrandt_q_einstein; 05-15-2006 at 10:28 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 10:25 PM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Wow, F2 Row E aisle seat. I must hit at least 5 people going through the aisle. It was incredibly loud, i could belch out all the words and hear absolutely nothing but music. Couldn't hear a single other person near me. Great fuckin concert. They were late because it took a lot longer for everyone to get through security. I got there at 430 and waited till they opened the doors at 630 and went straight it. Sound was great from up close where I was. Can't wait till when they come back. Worth the $200
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

Was my 8th TOOL show. Unbeliveable perfomance as always.
The sound was a little messed up for Rosetta Stoned, but they seemed to get the sound a little better after that. That was the song I was looking forward to most. But it was still great.

I think the show may have started late due to problems/complications with Adams pedal setup. It looked like several of the sound guys kept tinkering with it and going and getting other people to help for at least 15 or 20 minutes. Then it looked like they finally brought out what looked to be like a small mixing board and swapped it out.
They may have also been waiting on more of the crowd to get through the tighter then airport security at the front door.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 11:23 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Obviously no one can say that it was a bad show. But I do agree with the people that said the sound could have been better. Perhaps it's because I was in the balcony. Still good times though...Sober was definitely a highlight. The solo in Jambi was definitely heavy, despite the fact the show wasn't as loud as it could have been. Glad to hear Right in Two. Doesn't seem like there's too many better all-around musicians than Danny. Someone who's amazing at what he does. Doesn't play too much when unecessary, but when the time's right, just decides he's gonna bang on some fucking drums. It was nice to see that they appreciated us being there. I've been to shows where nobody says anything period. Seems like you can't go to a concert for under $100 anymore(tickets, gas, parking, drinks, food, merch) So it's nice to know that the band is thankful for the support.

Thats it for my meaningless two or three cents.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

I thought when Maynard said ("I dedicate this set to Satan." then after some cheers he says in a sinistar voice "Drive home safely") was pretty funny.

I was hoping to sit near some cool Tool fans but no dice. The back was empty till 5 minutes before the show. The people around me in the back were boring stiffs. The 2 guys next to me were sitting down or leaving during more then half the show. Ah well I still had fun. I saw people smoking joints near me but i couldn't even smell it. I happened to be one seat from the isle so that ruled out any possibility of sparking up a stinky Canadian joint. Good thing I didn't cause as soon as I smelled some the security was kicking a guy out for smoking one.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:59 PM   #37
Level 3 - Talker

show was absolutley amazing. im too tired to say much more. i just got back, 3 hour drive plus ii was with about 12 other people that waited 2.5 hours in the rain after the show by the busses. adam just waved and got on the bus. justin came over and said some stuff and shook all our hands. danny came over and shook hands, too, but that crazy crackhead that was screaming scared him away i think. if you were there you know what im talkin bout. plus you guys gave him money, lol
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 AM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 9

what a wonderful night in Satan. best experience of my life, i jammed harder at this show than any other. And god damn, when you do such, u realize, there's no one way to dance to tool, at any given moment, in any song. my mind is shot at this point, but i want to hand it to all the people that jammed, and showed these guys appreciation like no other show this tour. "jesus Fucking christ, Detroit, you guys are loud." yet, upon looking i was dissappointed to see so many 'zombies' there. apparently, these people are fucking everywhere. someone give them a cold (beer?) shower or something.

I had a woman next to me who was pregnant, and i tapped her on the shoulder before the lights went down and said 'what a fortunate child.' she pointed to the father and said 'that's what he thinks.' good laugh. I threw all my energy at my buddy to avoid hitting her. we are both bruised as fuck, him moreso. and my fucking body aches tremendously.

I could have been in a suite but i chose the seats i had because i thought it'd be better sound, in the center (GA) balcony and all. boy was i right. that show sounded absolutely amazing. i feel bad reading people's distaste with it. My only complaint would be Adam sounding a bit low on Rosetta Stoned. I saw him talking to techs during Stinkfist. Other than that, beautiful levels, just fucking incredible sensations from such great sound. Adam's stuff just chills me to my core. it's so much more impactful hearing musicianship such as this live. that said, lost keys was a hell of an opener. all I have to do is move to the music, not even, and flushes of energy float through my head and down my spine.

my buddy said at some point maynard said "when we were here last we asked you to evolve. we see you have." can anyone confirm? i think that was before lateralus. all i heard him say there was 'satan.' and i was like 'fuck yeah, satan.' I actually thought lateralus was dedicated to satan, but it was the whole set! lateralus is a satan song if i've ever heard one. encouraging people to investigate their divinity!? EVIL! LOL

I had a few extremely powerful 'mental' moments, a (electric sadness) feeling i'm somewhat familiar with came after they finished stinkfist. i tried to send it to the mayn man, who's influence on me brought it about. tool will make my brain release chemicals and cause reactions as if i were on drugs, but it is a widely varied experience. unexplainable, really. another was during right in two. these were brought on from thinking about the subject matter of the songs, in conjunction with the music. Tell tale is the feeling after the show, were your brain feels caked, like you just got down off e or some acid, or something relatively mind-blowing.

Highlights for me were: why even try.. the whole fucking show was the highlight. i hate to point it out, but schism was the weakest song for me. still awesome. whatever came before it, i must have been still stuck on.

my friend and I agreed after jambi that the 1st 3 songs alone were worth the 120 we paid. tool is the most powerful musical force on the planet. why? beauty.

i bear witness.

Last edited by tomatoms; 05-16-2006 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: beast in chains
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 01:07 AM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

“You have to do better then boa-ties and jockstraps...oh look a loafer...we want bras and panties...come on Detroit that's not very rock and roll like of you”...cheers from the crowd...“Fine we will play fucking longer”.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:29 AM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

Fourth Row Orchestra Pit. I was amazed how loud the sound was, but not distorted one Iota. I was blown away by this show for a few reasons. 1) The coolness of the crowd around me. 2) The people in the seats next to me were gone for 3/4 of the show. i am a big guy, and it gave me a little more "elbow room". 3) Maynard is now the target of my girlfriend's vagina. It was her first TOOL show, and she thought he was the sexiest man alive. At one point she said, "I am going up on stage right now and fucking him in front of everyone." 4) After Rosetta Stoned, everything muddy was cleared up, and perfect. 5) Danny Carey. I need to say no more, but I like his new hi-hat set-up. Makes for a more visual impact of a show. 6) I dropped my ticket when I went to the bathroom, and some guy was kind enough to have given it back to me. I owe that dude huge.

Last edited by mixgrafix; 05-16-2006 at 03:33 AM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: