Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Intension/Right In Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (with drummer from Big Business)
Vicarious

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-07-2007 at 09:54 PM..
Old 05-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
2007/07/07 - Huntington, WV - Big Sandy Superstore Arena

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Intension/Right In Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Vicarious

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-07-2007 at 09:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
InsideTheOutside20's Avatar InsideTheOutside20
07-07-2007, 08:29 PM

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Intension/Right In Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Vicarious

Great show everyone!

The vocals during Jambi were down too low to hear but it seemed as though they fixed it for the rest of the show. I could hear Maynard way better than the Cincinnati show from my seat. He talked a lot more than he did last time they were in Huntington although I cannot remember exactly what he said... some joke about how he had never been in Huntington before.

We totally redeemed ourselves.
I saw a few people get pulled over the barrier in the front and one person threw their shirt on stage but for the most part I think the audience was respectful to the band.

My seats for this show were pretty good (section 16, row cc, seat 5). I could see everything nicely.

I think I heard Adam mess up during Jambi but for the most part the band was tight.

I am tired... someone else can go into greater detail... I may edit my post with a full review later.

Last edited by InsideTheOutside20; 07-07-2007 at 08:34 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55
Re: 2007/07/07 - Huntington, WV - Big Sandy Superstore Arena

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Intension/Right In Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Vicarious

Great show everyone!

The vocals during Jambi were down too low to hear but it seemed as though they fixed it for the rest of the show. I could hear Maynard way better than the Cincinnati show from my seat. He talked a lot more than he did last time they were in Huntington although I cannot remember exactly what he said... some joke about how he had never been in Huntington before.

We totally redeemed ourselves.
I saw a few people get pulled over the barrier in the front and one person threw their shirt on stage but for the most part I think the audience was respectful to the band.

My seats for this show were pretty good (section 16, row cc, seat 5). I could see everything nicely.

I think I heard Adam mess up during Jambi but for the most part the band was tight.

I am tired... someone else can go into greater detail... I may edit my post with a full review later.

Last edited by InsideTheOutside20; 07-07-2007 at 08:34 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Kangaroo_hung_me2's Avatar Kangaroo_hung_me2
07-07-2007, 09:00 PM

it was great, setlist is correct above. I'll post more tomorrow. I'm sleepy from puttin on my own show in the stands. safe driving to everyone from outta town.
Goodnight folks.

Now I'm out of my shell and I'm happier than whores with chivalrous clientele
Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 26

it was great, setlist is correct above. I'll post more tomorrow. I'm sleepy from puttin on my own show in the stands. safe driving to everyone from outta town.
Goodnight folks.

OFFLINE |  
gabe_angelfire's Avatar gabe_angelfire
07-07-2007, 09:16 PM

WOW! That was absolutely amazing!!! Best show I have ever been to in my life. This is the first time I've been so close, I was in the second row right in front of Maynard and was blown away by everyone's performance. The skill and dedication that they put into their shows just can't be matched. The crowd was great, everyone I met today was so nice! Thanks to all of you for making it such a great experience!

I too am tired and will follow up with greater detail and a full review later.

I just have to add that I loved Big Business! I'm going to have to track down one of their cds.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-09-2007 at 08:03 AM..
Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #4

Bincount™: 10

WOW! That was absolutely amazing!!! Best show I have ever been to in my life. This is the first time I've been so close, I was in the second row right in front of Maynard and was blown away by everyone's performance. The skill and dedication that they put into their shows just can't be matched. The crowd was great, everyone I met today was so nice! Thanks to all of you for making it such a great experience!

I too am tired and will follow up with greater detail and a full review later.

I just have to add that I loved Big Business! I'm going to have to track down one of their cds.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-09-2007 at 08:03 AM..
OFFLINE |  
GHOSTDOGG79's Avatar GHOSTDOGG79
07-07-2007, 09:28 PM

This was my first TOOL show and I agree with all I have ever heard, they are absolutely amazing live! The lights, the effects, and the sound is mind blowing. Maynards creativity on the stage, humping his hat, it was all awesome.

Last edited by GHOSTDOGG79; 07-07-2007 at 09:48 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

This was my first TOOL show and I agree with all I have ever heard, they are absolutely amazing live! The lights, the effects, and the sound is mind blowing. Maynards creativity on the stage, humping his hat, it was all awesome.

Last edited by GHOSTDOGG79; 07-07-2007 at 09:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
steaknuggets
07-07-2007, 09:45 PM

The Show was good… Not great! If you’ve seen TOOL in the 90’s you’ll know what I’m talking about. Expect to see a completely different band. Before the synthesizers and special effects, you had Maynard front and center putting his heart and soul into each show. Now Maynard sings at the very back of the stage with his back facing the screens, his mic isn’t audible at times, he’s not even visible during the jam sections of the songs, and the tempo of the show is way off. It seems like as the special effects keep getting better, the band puts less and less effort into each show. Maybe I’m just expecting too much because I hold TOOL to a much higher standard than most bands, not sure…. If this is your first show, or if you’ve only seen them live from the Lateralus album to present, then you’ll love the show and totally disagree with me. All in all this was a good show, but not up to TOOL standards!!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

The Show was good… Not great! If you’ve seen TOOL in the 90’s you’ll know what I’m talking about. Expect to see a completely different band. Before the synthesizers and special effects, you had Maynard front and center putting his heart and soul into each show. Now Maynard sings at the very back of the stage with his back facing the screens, his mic isn’t audible at times, he’s not even visible during the jam sections of the songs, and the tempo of the show is way off. It seems like as the special effects keep getting better, the band puts less and less effort into each show. Maybe I’m just expecting too much because I hold TOOL to a much higher standard than most bands, not sure…. If this is your first show, or if you’ve only seen them live from the Lateralus album to present, then you’ll love the show and totally disagree with me. All in all this was a good show, but not up to TOOL standards!!
OFFLINE |  
sahager
07-07-2007, 10:01 PM

Setlist

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
46&2
Schism (extended)
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two (with Intension intro)
Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days
Lateralus (with extended drum solo)
Vicarious

This was the third time my wife and I have seen TOOL on the 10,000 Days tour. (Columbus, Bonnaroo, and now here.) By far, this was the best view we had out of them all. We were to the right of the stage up top. I was afraid when we bought these tickets that we had gotten a bad spot, but it turned out just the opposite. When we first climbed up into the bleachers, we were pissing distance from Danny's infinite drum kit; it was amazing to see it up close like that. At first, the vocals were way too muted, as we were behind the big amps, but as the show went on, they adjusted it to much more suitable levels. At our other two shows, we had good views, but the problem was that you could not see the details of what the band was doing. Here, we had a clean sight of all the action up close and personal. I had my eyes on Danny the entire time, as I knew this was my best shot at seeing the man at work. During some of the songs, his hands and drumsticks were moving so fast that they were a total blur; yet he didn't screw up once. The complexity of his drumming never ceases to amaze.

The main highlight for me was Right in two with the Intension intro. I had been eagerly wanting to see this at our other shows, and this time they delivered. We got lucky, since it has not been played that much. Again, a killer drum solo by Danny.

Lateralus was good as always. The drummer for Big Business at first I thought was not keeping good time or rhythm with Danny, but as he progressed, it started to gel together. However, the best version of this track we saw was at Bonnaroo, where Tom Morello came out and shredded with them.

This was probably the best 10,000 days we had seen in all of the shows, they just hit it good this night.

My favorite track on all of these shows however, is Schism. The sped up part in the middle they have added this tour really kicks the song in the ass and shows their desire to expand upon themselves.

I also met a fellow music geek like myself who had seen them recently and had traveled 150 miles to this show. We chatted it up during the show, and agreed that it was a face-melting performance. Good to meet you Hal, if you are out there reading.

In summary, this was our best show visually. Acoustically, not as much so, due to our position. We have seen the band in a large, (35,000 seat) venue, a MEGA FUCKING HUGE venue (80,000 plus), and now a way small venue. We are looking forward to doing it all again in 3-4 years.

Last edited by sahager; 07-07-2007 at 10:06 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Setlist

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
46&2
Schism (extended)
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two (with Intension intro)
Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days
Lateralus (with extended drum solo)
Vicarious

This was the third time my wife and I have seen TOOL on the 10,000 Days tour. (Columbus, Bonnaroo, and now here.) By far, this was the best view we had out of them all. We were to the right of the stage up top. I was afraid when we bought these tickets that we had gotten a bad spot, but it turned out just the opposite. When we first climbed up into the bleachers, we were pissing distance from Danny's infinite drum kit; it was amazing to see it up close like that. At first, the vocals were way too muted, as we were behind the big amps, but as the show went on, they adjusted it to much more suitable levels. At our other two shows, we had good views, but the problem was that you could not see the details of what the band was doing. Here, we had a clean sight of all the action up close and personal. I had my eyes on Danny the entire time, as I knew this was my best shot at seeing the man at work. During some of the songs, his hands and drumsticks were moving so fast that they were a total blur; yet he didn't screw up once. The complexity of his drumming never ceases to amaze.

The main highlight for me was Right in two with the Intension intro. I had been eagerly wanting to see this at our other shows, and this time they delivered. We got lucky, since it has not been played that much. Again, a killer drum solo by Danny.

Lateralus was good as always. The drummer for Big Business at first I thought was not keeping good time or rhythm with Danny, but as he progressed, it started to gel together. However, the best version of this track we saw was at Bonnaroo, where Tom Morello came out and shredded with them.

This was probably the best 10,000 days we had seen in all of the shows, they just hit it good this night.

My favorite track on all of these shows however, is Schism. The sped up part in the middle they have added this tour really kicks the song in the ass and shows their desire to expand upon themselves.

I also met a fellow music geek like myself who had seen them recently and had traveled 150 miles to this show. We chatted it up during the show, and agreed that it was a face-melting performance. Good to meet you Hal, if you are out there reading.

In summary, this was our best show visually. Acoustically, not as much so, due to our position. We have seen the band in a large, (35,000 seat) venue, a MEGA FUCKING HUGE venue (80,000 plus), and now a way small venue. We are looking forward to doing it all again in 3-4 years.

Last edited by sahager; 07-07-2007 at 10:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
mercurykeith's Avatar mercurykeith
07-08-2007, 07:26 AM

Excellent show last night, and I agree, for the most part I felt like the crowd was extremely well behaved. Of course there were some dipshits and fights, but you'll have that at basically any large concert. Big Business seemed to go over well and the audience was kind to them, setting the proper tone for the show.

I agree that Maynard was turned down too low, especially during Jambi, and while it picked up after that he was still a little low for my tastes. Part of that might be their sound and part of it is definitely the venue. I've been to quite a few shows there and I can tell you that our little civic arena does not have good acoustics and it takes good sound people to keep things from sounding like a muddy mess. The rest of the band was crystal clear though.

I was hoping to hear Flood but since Right in Two is the only 10,000 Days track they do live that I hadn't heard yet I was fine with getting that one. It seemed like they stretched almost every track out and jammed on them, which was fine with me, and I was glad that the audience seemed to have the patience for it as well.

To sahager, interesting comments on 10,000 Days, I was at the Columbus show last year and felt like that rendition was a bit better than the one last night. Or it could have been that I just connected with it more in Columbus, that song is all about finding your place in it. It still sounded fantastic. When I saw them come set up the little drum kit I was a bit worried that they were going straight on to Lateralus and we were going to miss the centerpiece of the show. Thankfully that didn't happen. I'd say after this tour is over you won't be hearing that one much anymore, much the same way that Disposition/Reflection/Triad is likely gone forever after the Lateralus tour. So soak it up folks, that's an amazing journey to take live.

Also met some nice folks in the area from a different internet message board, and they were extremely nice. All in all an excellent night in Huntington and even if we didn't get something extra for 7/7/07, you have to agree it was a lucky day for the mountain state.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Excellent show last night, and I agree, for the most part I felt like the crowd was extremely well behaved. Of course there were some dipshits and fights, but you'll have that at basically any large concert. Big Business seemed to go over well and the audience was kind to them, setting the proper tone for the show.

I agree that Maynard was turned down too low, especially during Jambi, and while it picked up after that he was still a little low for my tastes. Part of that might be their sound and part of it is definitely the venue. I've been to quite a few shows there and I can tell you that our little civic arena does not have good acoustics and it takes good sound people to keep things from sounding like a muddy mess. The rest of the band was crystal clear though.

I was hoping to hear Flood but since Right in Two is the only 10,000 Days track they do live that I hadn't heard yet I was fine with getting that one. It seemed like they stretched almost every track out and jammed on them, which was fine with me, and I was glad that the audience seemed to have the patience for it as well.

To sahager, interesting comments on 10,000 Days, I was at the Columbus show last year and felt like that rendition was a bit better than the one last night. Or it could have been that I just connected with it more in Columbus, that song is all about finding your place in it. It still sounded fantastic. When I saw them come set up the little drum kit I was a bit worried that they were going straight on to Lateralus and we were going to miss the centerpiece of the show. Thankfully that didn't happen. I'd say after this tour is over you won't be hearing that one much anymore, much the same way that Disposition/Reflection/Triad is likely gone forever after the Lateralus tour. So soak it up folks, that's an amazing journey to take live.

Also met some nice folks in the area from a different internet message board, and they were extremely nice. All in all an excellent night in Huntington and even if we didn't get something extra for 7/7/07, you have to agree it was a lucky day for the mountain state.
OFFLINE |  
Curbed Enthusiast's Avatar Curbed Enthusiast
07-08-2007, 07:48 AM

Fantastic show. I was surprised and glad that I was wrong with my worries and predictions. But as I was leaving I overheard someone say the drummer duel between the Godsmack singer and drummer was way better than the Danny/Coady one. I seriously hope that person is sterile because we don't need that kind of stupidity reproducing in the world. But thanks to everyone for (mostly) behaving.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Fantastic show. I was surprised and glad that I was wrong with my worries and predictions. But as I was leaving I overheard someone say the drummer duel between the Godsmack singer and drummer was way better than the Danny/Coady one. I seriously hope that person is sterile because we don't need that kind of stupidity reproducing in the world. But thanks to everyone for (mostly) behaving.
OFFLINE |  
Kangaroo_hung_me2's Avatar Kangaroo_hung_me2
07-08-2007, 07:56 AM

It was my first TOOL show, but not my first rock show by far. I've seen many acts live, but let me say, Tool killed them all. I mean the lights,screens,lazers= bad-ass. The sound left a little to be desired but, that venue isn't really known for it's great acoustics anyway. Maynard was cool, Adam kinda chilled,Justin and Danny were awesome. I've never been to a show where I know every word to every song, so I dont have a voice at all. This was the highlight of my summer, now I'm a little disappointed becuase I don't have anything to look forward to.
Anyway, Great fucking show........

Did anyone catch any Maynard qoutes?
Did I hear him thank the Police for taking all the beer away?
He said something about Hooters,and if the went to Hooters I'll go nuts cuz it's 15.2 seconds away from my house....Anyway What did you guys hear?

Old 07-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #10

Bincount™: 26

It was my first TOOL show, but not my first rock show by far. I've seen many acts live, but let me say, Tool killed them all. I mean the lights,screens,lazers= bad-ass. The sound left a little to be desired but, that venue isn't really known for it's great acoustics anyway. Maynard was cool, Adam kinda chilled,Justin and Danny were awesome. I've never been to a show where I know every word to every song, so I dont have a voice at all. This was the highlight of my summer, now I'm a little disappointed becuase I don't have anything to look forward to.
Anyway, Great fucking show........

Did anyone catch any Maynard qoutes?
Did I hear him thank the Police for taking all the beer away?
He said something about Hooters,and if the went to Hooters I'll go nuts cuz it's 15.2 seconds away from my house....Anyway What did you guys hear?

OFFLINE |  
mercurykeith's Avatar mercurykeith
07-08-2007, 08:02 AM

Maynard:
"Hunt-ing-ton....so, y'all got a Hooters round here?"

He thanked the Oompa Loompa's for taking the gear and away and said "it's been a pleasure" before Vicarious.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Maynard:
"Hunt-ing-ton....so, y'all got a Hooters round here?"

He thanked the Oompa Loompa's for taking the gear and away and said "it's been a pleasure" before Vicarious.
OFFLINE |  
jblanton15
07-08-2007, 08:32 AM

I thought the energy was surprisingly high although i did hve some problems on the floor. The above poster who's wife got hit, that is ridiculous BUT

we had problems with guys who were standing with their girlfriends wrapped up in front of them...me and my friend SERIOUSLY get into the show and we move around alot like maynard does on stage..no shoving or anything like that...but these two girls with their dudes kept shoving us in the back telling us to get off, which i respected if i was bumping in to them but we were not, i soon realized they just didnt like us moving around in front of them, so the next time i politely told their boyfriends that they might want to find a seat because my friend was not going to take another punch in the back:) but it worked out ok....a couple observations...on wings pt 2, the lights are directed on adam justin and danny but not on maynard..i find this interesting......big business drummer brought it again big time....and for the above poster complaining about the intros and maynard leaving, thats Tool and i think once you see them a few times you appreciate those parts alot more...

OH! after the show when the lights had been up for about 15 mins...my brother was showing me some pics on his phone and put it back in his pocket. A little security woman comes up and asks him to get it out and show her the pics. I told her she couldnt do that and he wasnt getting it out. Well he sweet talked her and we left but im wondering...can they make you take out ur phone so they can look at it??

Last edited by jblanton15; 07-08-2007 at 08:35 AM..
Old 07-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

I thought the energy was surprisingly high although i did hve some problems on the floor. The above poster who's wife got hit, that is ridiculous BUT

we had problems with guys who were standing with their girlfriends wrapped up in front of them...me and my friend SERIOUSLY get into the show and we move around alot like maynard does on stage..no shoving or anything like that...but these two girls with their dudes kept shoving us in the back telling us to get off, which i respected if i was bumping in to them but we were not, i soon realized they just didnt like us moving around in front of them, so the next time i politely told their boyfriends that they might want to find a seat because my friend was not going to take another punch in the back:) but it worked out ok....a couple observations...on wings pt 2, the lights are directed on adam justin and danny but not on maynard..i find this interesting......big business drummer brought it again big time....and for the above poster complaining about the intros and maynard leaving, thats Tool and i think once you see them a few times you appreciate those parts alot more...

OH! after the show when the lights had been up for about 15 mins...my brother was showing me some pics on his phone and put it back in his pocket. A little security woman comes up and asks him to get it out and show her the pics. I told her she couldnt do that and he wasnt getting it out. Well he sweet talked her and we left but im wondering...can they make you take out ur phone so they can look at it??

Last edited by jblanton15; 07-08-2007 at 08:35 AM..
OFFLINE |  
embracingtherandom
07-08-2007, 08:55 AM

I thought they were having technical problems throughout most of the show. When Maynard was offstage he kept pointing to a sound-guy then pointing back to the equipment. On Lateralus I thought either Maynard got a cue wrong or the microphone shorted or something. He looked pissed about it, but came back after the jam and did the part he didn't get to.

I'm all about people doing what they want and having a good time at concerts, but why does everyone sing along? Better yet, why does everyone sing along so loud?! I thought we were going to the show to hear everyone play their respective instruments. They don't let you bring your own drum kit or guitar in shows for a reason, I think the same should hold true with vocals. Everyone was singing so loud I couldn't even make out Maynard. It could have been that Maynard just didn't want his voice to project or the acoustics or whatever, but even so I was hoping people would just embrace the show, you can sing along any other time you want.

Also there was this lady in front of me, who in the solo part of Right in Two, kept yelling "DANNNNYYY" ect. And when he didn't play the solo exactly like on the album she screamed "WHAT ARE YOU DOING DANNY?!?! WHAT IS THIS?!" or some shit. I wanted to impale her with my poster. So instead whenever she held up her lighter and sparked it I blew it out.

My friend, who didn't go to the show, was talking with some of his friends that did go. Apparently they waited around until 2 am to get autographs and got everyone's but Maynard. While they were waiting for Maynard, some security guy came out, handed them a HUGE bag of popcorn and said "this is from Maynard."

All things considered, it was amazing.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought they were having technical problems throughout most of the show. When Maynard was offstage he kept pointing to a sound-guy then pointing back to the equipment. On Lateralus I thought either Maynard got a cue wrong or the microphone shorted or something. He looked pissed about it, but came back after the jam and did the part he didn't get to.

I'm all about people doing what they want and having a good time at concerts, but why does everyone sing along? Better yet, why does everyone sing along so loud?! I thought we were going to the show to hear everyone play their respective instruments. They don't let you bring your own drum kit or guitar in shows for a reason, I think the same should hold true with vocals. Everyone was singing so loud I couldn't even make out Maynard. It could have been that Maynard just didn't want his voice to project or the acoustics or whatever, but even so I was hoping people would just embrace the show, you can sing along any other time you want.

Also there was this lady in front of me, who in the solo part of Right in Two, kept yelling "DANNNNYYY" ect. And when he didn't play the solo exactly like on the album she screamed "WHAT ARE YOU DOING DANNY?!?! WHAT IS THIS?!" or some shit. I wanted to impale her with my poster. So instead whenever she held up her lighter and sparked it I blew it out.

My friend, who didn't go to the show, was talking with some of his friends that did go. Apparently they waited around until 2 am to get autographs and got everyone's but Maynard. While they were waiting for Maynard, some security guy came out, handed them a HUGE bag of popcorn and said "this is from Maynard."

All things considered, it was amazing.
OFFLINE |  
iswingonthespiral
07-08-2007, 09:31 AM

That's true man. I waited after the show and got to meet everyone but Maynard who went straight to his bus. The rest of them were really cool and talked to us for a little while while being nice enough to make sure everyone who waited got an autograph. Setlist was the same as Cincy. I really wanted Flood but Right In Two is just brilliant live. I was on the floor(second row) and I swear Danny is just absolutely incredible. This show was my 5th ( nd last) of this tour so it was good to end it that way. I also caught a pick from Justin and almost caught a drumstick from Danny-the guy next to my snatched it. Anyway I was happy with the crowd. Show was great as usual. God help us all when Tool stops touring.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

That's true man. I waited after the show and got to meet everyone but Maynard who went straight to his bus. The rest of them were really cool and talked to us for a little while while being nice enough to make sure everyone who waited got an autograph. Setlist was the same as Cincy. I really wanted Flood but Right In Two is just brilliant live. I was on the floor(second row) and I swear Danny is just absolutely incredible. This show was my 5th ( nd last) of this tour so it was good to end it that way. I also caught a pick from Justin and almost caught a drumstick from Danny-the guy next to my snatched it. Anyway I was happy with the crowd. Show was great as usual. God help us all when Tool stops touring.
OFFLINE |  
frb
07-08-2007, 10:25 AM

What, no praise for the lateralus drums? That was the 5th show I've been to on this tour, and those drums were by far the best yet. I saw Danny do it himself in Southaven, with the guy from Mastadon in Atlanta, and with Melt Banana in Greenville and Winston Salem. But none of them compared to last night's solo with Big Business. The guy from Big Business was great, and they kept going. Usually the guest drummer walks off when the guitar comes back in. Last night, he stayed for the rest of the song, and both of them kept going off. It was insane. As they closed the song together, you could see they were in sync with each other. I really can't put it into words. That solo beat the hell out of every other one I've seen. Best drums I've ever seen.

Maynard was fairly animated and in good spirits. Got Right in Two again; haven't seen it since Southaven. It's great live. We drove 6 hours from Asheville, NC and got home at sunrise. The end of my tour, It's been awesome. Anyone with bad things to say about the band's performance has the wrong outlook on life. I saw them 10 years ago, and they have not lost their edge a bit.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
frb
Level 1 - Lurker

What, no praise for the lateralus drums? That was the 5th show I've been to on this tour, and those drums were by far the best yet. I saw Danny do it himself in Southaven, with the guy from Mastadon in Atlanta, and with Melt Banana in Greenville and Winston Salem. But none of them compared to last night's solo with Big Business. The guy from Big Business was great, and they kept going. Usually the guest drummer walks off when the guitar comes back in. Last night, he stayed for the rest of the song, and both of them kept going off. It was insane. As they closed the song together, you could see they were in sync with each other. I really can't put it into words. That solo beat the hell out of every other one I've seen. Best drums I've ever seen.

Maynard was fairly animated and in good spirits. Got Right in Two again; haven't seen it since Southaven. It's great live. We drove 6 hours from Asheville, NC and got home at sunrise. The end of my tour, It's been awesome. Anyone with bad things to say about the band's performance has the wrong outlook on life. I saw them 10 years ago, and they have not lost their edge a bit.
07-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Absolutely a great show. Personal highlight was Right In Two and the duel drum off between Danny and Coady(from Big Business) during Lateralus. The crowd was really into it, more so then Ive read from previous shows. Alot of comments though about Maynard's vocals not comming through the PA as loud, but that basically gave the crowd more of a reason to sing along which they did in full force.

Did anyone else catch what Maynard said during Rosetta Stoned? "He didnt even go to Huntington High School" classic indeed. Great show with great friends. Thanks alot!

*To the girl from Lewisburg that was sitting out infront of the Wendys, if you can find a way through here, MSG me cause you just earned a ticket to Ozzfest on 8.24.

Last edited by WVmetal; 07-08-2007 at 08:33 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Absolutely a great show. Personal highlight was Right In Two and the duel drum off between Danny and Coady(from Big Business) during Lateralus. The crowd was really into it, more so then Ive read from previous shows. Alot of comments though about Maynard's vocals not comming through the PA as loud, but that basically gave the crowd more of a reason to sing along which they did in full force.

Did anyone else catch what Maynard said during Rosetta Stoned? "He didnt even go to Huntington High School" classic indeed. Great show with great friends. Thanks alot!

*To the girl from Lewisburg that was sitting out infront of the Wendys, if you can find a way through here, MSG me cause you just earned a ticket to Ozzfest on 8.24.

Last edited by WVmetal; 07-08-2007 at 08:33 PM..
OFFLINE |  
UndeniableDilemma
07-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Show was great!! However, during Lateralus when Maynard stopped singing and stepped off stage, I don't think it was a malfunction...I think someone threw something at Justin because he pointed to him and then took a drink of water and exited the stage for a while. When he came back he sang the majority of the rest of the song with his back to the crowd and said 3 words the rest of the show. Crowd was great as far as pictures...literally didn't see 1 flash during the entire show, but noticed a glowstick and a t-shirt were thrown onto the stage. Also, did anyone notice Justin poor his beer on his head during lateralus? I thought that was pretty funny.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Show was great!! However, during Lateralus when Maynard stopped singing and stepped off stage, I don't think it was a malfunction...I think someone threw something at Justin because he pointed to him and then took a drink of water and exited the stage for a while. When he came back he sang the majority of the rest of the song with his back to the crowd and said 3 words the rest of the show. Crowd was great as far as pictures...literally didn't see 1 flash during the entire show, but noticed a glowstick and a t-shirt were thrown onto the stage. Also, did anyone notice Justin poor his beer on his head during lateralus? I thought that was pretty funny.
OFFLINE |  
usedabused's Avatar usedabused
07-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Show was amazing.. Maynard's dancing still cracks me up.

Of course, my favorite part was Lateralus and the amazing drum set with Danny and Coady. Amazing! I also was tickled when Danny and someone else lit their lighters on stage in response to everyone else in the crowd lighting up the arena.

My husband said he noticed Danny icing his arm down. Did anyone else see this? This worries me b/c of his earlier issues with the injury and having to postpone dates. Maybe it was something else, as I wasn't paying attention. But?

I don't know about Maynard not saying 3 words the rest of the show. After Lateralus and before Vicarious.. He said it was a privledge and his 'pleasure' to have been there. The crowd was great.. especially when it was over and everyone just kept cheering while the band bowed. Except MJK of course.. he exited stage left, but Danny bowed for us.

All in all.. and amazing show!

And since when is Row E front row? I woulda loved to have been on the floor, but I'm getting a bit old for that. We were in Section 5.. so we had a great view. I think the security did well, but coulda loosened up on the camera phone crap. I snuck a few shots before some icky lady told me to keep my camera phone down. They did keep the crowd under control.. I watched them haul several people out.

Last edited by usedabused; 07-08-2007 at 12:58 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 143

Show was amazing.. Maynard's dancing still cracks me up.

Of course, my favorite part was Lateralus and the amazing drum set with Danny and Coady. Amazing! I also was tickled when Danny and someone else lit their lighters on stage in response to everyone else in the crowd lighting up the arena.

My husband said he noticed Danny icing his arm down. Did anyone else see this? This worries me b/c of his earlier issues with the injury and having to postpone dates. Maybe it was something else, as I wasn't paying attention. But?

I don't know about Maynard not saying 3 words the rest of the show. After Lateralus and before Vicarious.. He said it was a privledge and his 'pleasure' to have been there. The crowd was great.. especially when it was over and everyone just kept cheering while the band bowed. Except MJK of course.. he exited stage left, but Danny bowed for us.

All in all.. and amazing show!

And since when is Row E front row? I woulda loved to have been on the floor, but I'm getting a bit old for that. We were in Section 5.. so we had a great view. I think the security did well, but coulda loosened up on the camera phone crap. I snuck a few shots before some icky lady told me to keep my camera phone down. They did keep the crowd under control.. I watched them haul several people out.

Last edited by usedabused; 07-08-2007 at 12:58 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Animosity
07-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Not my first TOOL show, but definently the best I've seen. The best concert I have ever been to, actually. There I was, up front pressed into the barricade, just feet from the center of the stage.

Maynard's dancing kept cracking me up, if you could call it that. It was like watching someone who had taken a large dosage of shrooms and was just beginning to enter a new realm. It was great to see him is such high spirits, talking to us all so much.

People keep complaining that Maynard was hard to hear, but apparently that's the way they wanted it. Every show on this tour, the boards say pretty much the same thing. I was not surprised, but still could hear him well right up front.

I was hoping for Flood, but was sure happy to hear Right In Two. It was excellent live. The few breaks where the guys would just hang out were funny and entertaining. The drum-off in Lateralus was MAD! To hear that drummer from Big Business battling and trying to keep up... He sure kept up for only using a few drum pieces, it was impressive.

Oh yeah, Danny was icing his arm down during the later break, to answer an earlier post. Security also removed about 10 people for fighting or pushing during the course of the show, most of which had to be pulled directly overhead for the lack of space.

All of the laser lights, the mood, the sounds, the screens... I don't know if any other show for a long time will be able to top this one!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Not my first TOOL show, but definently the best I've seen. The best concert I have ever been to, actually. There I was, up front pressed into the barricade, just feet from the center of the stage.

Maynard's dancing kept cracking me up, if you could call it that. It was like watching someone who had taken a large dosage of shrooms and was just beginning to enter a new realm. It was great to see him is such high spirits, talking to us all so much.

People keep complaining that Maynard was hard to hear, but apparently that's the way they wanted it. Every show on this tour, the boards say pretty much the same thing. I was not surprised, but still could hear him well right up front.

I was hoping for Flood, but was sure happy to hear Right In Two. It was excellent live. The few breaks where the guys would just hang out were funny and entertaining. The drum-off in Lateralus was MAD! To hear that drummer from Big Business battling and trying to keep up... He sure kept up for only using a few drum pieces, it was impressive.

Oh yeah, Danny was icing his arm down during the later break, to answer an earlier post. Security also removed about 10 people for fighting or pushing during the course of the show, most of which had to be pulled directly overhead for the lack of space.

All of the laser lights, the mood, the sounds, the screens... I don't know if any other show for a long time will be able to top this one!
OFFLINE |  
Aezarien's Avatar Aezarien
07-09-2007, 12:13 PM

The whole experience from beginning to end marks an event that I am unlikely to forget anytime in the near future. The performance was very similar to the one we saw in Greenville but the mood shifts and the energy levels were on a different plane of existence altogether.

The arena reminded me of when we used to go see general admission concerts at the Old Charlotte Coliseum. We were right up front, center stage and we had an amazing amount of personal space until about mid-performance and then it was pretty much assholes and elbows. The place was a lot nicer than I thought it would be as compared to the surrounding locations. Entry was fairly docile and the staff was in good spirits.

As far as the crowd goes, There was a lot going on around us but we only had one real point of contention the whole show. A crowd of people who looked like they could have been linebackers for the Chicago bears barreled through the crowd. Not realizing they had actually hurt someone in pursuit of their journey to the front they became disagreeable when they were told to get back and were therefore dealt with disagreeably but it didn't amount to much but a few hurt feelings in the end which is less than I expected. Although the crowd was a lot more aggressive than a lot of GA crowds I've seen for this style of music, it wasn't as bad as it was described at the previous WV show by a long shot. There was a lot of aggressive pushing behind us but we had a lot of really chilled people right around us that were just rocking out and having an awesome time.

The opening act, Big Business, was quite impressive. These guys played their asses off! There was so much energy and charisma floating around that stage it just set the evening off to a great start. I swear the drummer had so much energy that he had to be floating at least a foot off of his seat the entire show. Unfortunately I pretty much missed his performance during Lateralus because we had the aforementioned contention going on at that time but I believe everyone when they say it was amazing. I really wouldn't mind seeing these guys again just because they were so fun to jam out to.

As mentioned before, the main act was very similar to the show we saw in Greenville only we were right up front instead of eleven rows back. I can't say either show was better because the experiences in themselves were in no way the same. Standing that close to the stage you could physically feel the music hit your body like someone had just dropped an EMP bomb right in the middle of the stage. The vocals were pretty indistinguishable but the chorus of fans belting out the lyrics throughout the show bridged that gap amazingly well. I don't think I have ever heard a crowd sing that loud and in such good time in my life. I've heard Maynard sing a million times if I have heard him sing once and his voice is just as integral to the composition of the music but I don't think I would trade the human connectivity I felt during the outbursts of singing for better sound at this show. We heard the vocals well in Greenville and I am positive we will see a show in the future that will yield the same so I am happy to have been a part of the whole tool karaoke experience.

In conclusion, I have to agree with the previously posted reviews. Everything just fell right into place to create a mind blowing experience that rivals that of any other band I have seen live. I can't imagine it getting much better than this!!

-Tina
Old 07-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #20

The whole experience from beginning to end marks an event that I am unlikely to forget anytime in the near future. The performance was very similar to the one we saw in Greenville but the mood shifts and the energy levels were on a different plane of existence altogether.

The arena reminded me of when we used to go see general admission concerts at the Old Charlotte Coliseum. We were right up front, center stage and we had an amazing amount of personal space until about mid-performance and then it was pretty much assholes and elbows. The place was a lot nicer than I thought it would be as compared to the surrounding locations. Entry was fairly docile and the staff was in good spirits.

As far as the crowd goes, There was a lot going on around us but we only had one real point of contention the whole show. A crowd of people who looked like they could have been linebackers for the Chicago bears barreled through the crowd. Not realizing they had actually hurt someone in pursuit of their journey to the front they became disagreeable when they were told to get back and were therefore dealt with disagreeably but it didn't amount to much but a few hurt feelings in the end which is less than I expected. Although the crowd was a lot more aggressive than a lot of GA crowds I've seen for this style of music, it wasn't as bad as it was described at the previous WV show by a long shot. There was a lot of aggressive pushing behind us but we had a lot of really chilled people right around us that were just rocking out and having an awesome time.

The opening act, Big Business, was quite impressive. These guys played their asses off! There was so much energy and charisma floating around that stage it just set the evening off to a great start. I swear the drummer had so much energy that he had to be floating at least a foot off of his seat the entire show. Unfortunately I pretty much missed his performance during Lateralus because we had the aforementioned contention going on at that time but I believe everyone when they say it was amazing. I really wouldn't mind seeing these guys again just because they were so fun to jam out to.

As mentioned before, the main act was very similar to the show we saw in Greenville only we were right up front instead of eleven rows back. I can't say either show was better because the experiences in themselves were in no way the same. Standing that close to the stage you could physically feel the music hit your body like someone had just dropped an EMP bomb right in the middle of the stage. The vocals were pretty indistinguishable but the chorus of fans belting out the lyrics throughout the show bridged that gap amazingly well. I don't think I have ever heard a crowd sing that loud and in such good time in my life. I've heard Maynard sing a million times if I have heard him sing once and his voice is just as integral to the composition of the music but I don't think I would trade the human connectivity I felt during the outbursts of singing for better sound at this show. We heard the vocals well in Greenville and I am positive we will see a show in the future that will yield the same so I am happy to have been a part of the whole tool karaoke experience.

In conclusion, I have to agree with the previously posted reviews. Everything just fell right into place to create a mind blowing experience that rivals that of any other band I have seen live. I can't imagine it getting much better than this!!

-Tina
07-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Wow, great show.....One thing to point out about exactly how AWFUL the last Huntington show was, Maynard's first quote was "Huntington, West Virginia. A place we've never played, so hello to you."

They did play in this exact arena 5 years ago, but they must have wiped it from their memories because it was so god-awful.

Anyway, the show was phenomenal. Drum solos were ridiculous and there's not much more to say than that.

Here's to another 5 years before TOOL comes back around to these parts!!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

Wow, great show.....One thing to point out about exactly how AWFUL the last Huntington show was, Maynard's first quote was "Huntington, West Virginia. A place we've never played, so hello to you."

They did play in this exact arena 5 years ago, but they must have wiped it from their memories because it was so god-awful.

Anyway, the show was phenomenal. Drum solos were ridiculous and there's not much more to say than that.

Here's to another 5 years before TOOL comes back around to these parts!!
07-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Good Show!!! Not unlike the Detroit show tho...My educated guess is Adam messed up during Jambi cuz of some blotter cid
Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Good Show!!! Not unlike the Detroit show tho...My educated guess is Adam messed up during Jambi cuz of some blotter cid
OFFLINE |  
Rod_002
07-10-2007, 10:20 AM

I have talked with five other people besides myself and they did not enjoy the show. The songs they chose to play could've been much better. I don't want to start ranting on that subject. Maynard also didn't bring any energy to the show. He just stood in the back did a few weird moves and that was it. I have been to two other concerts and this was the worst one by far. I couldn't have ever imagined Tool putting on a bad show, just google some of their old concert videos, but it happened. Trapt put on a better show than Tool. I went to see Shinedown and Trapt , yes, the MTV band, was touring with them. They brought a lot of energy. I believe they're just starting to get old and don't really care anymore. The special effects were nice, but I was there to see the music not UFO looking things taking up 10-15 minutes of the show. Also Maynard was so low that I could not hear him. When the crowd sang along I couldn't hear him at all. Also Adam who was considered the 75th best guitarist in the world according to Rolling Stone was turned very low as well. I had to watch his hands to hear the notes. The drum solo was the best part of the show. I will never go and watch another Tool concert. I would have never dreamt of the show being that bad. The Slipknot show that I attended in Cincinnati completely blew Tool away. I expected a lot more from them.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

I have talked with five other people besides myself and they did not enjoy the show. The songs they chose to play could've been much better. I don't want to start ranting on that subject. Maynard also didn't bring any energy to the show. He just stood in the back did a few weird moves and that was it. I have been to two other concerts and this was the worst one by far. I couldn't have ever imagined Tool putting on a bad show, just google some of their old concert videos, but it happened. Trapt put on a better show than Tool. I went to see Shinedown and Trapt , yes, the MTV band, was touring with them. They brought a lot of energy. I believe they're just starting to get old and don't really care anymore. The special effects were nice, but I was there to see the music not UFO looking things taking up 10-15 minutes of the show. Also Maynard was so low that I could not hear him. When the crowd sang along I couldn't hear him at all. Also Adam who was considered the 75th best guitarist in the world according to Rolling Stone was turned very low as well. I had to watch his hands to hear the notes. The drum solo was the best part of the show. I will never go and watch another Tool concert. I would have never dreamt of the show being that bad. The Slipknot show that I attended in Cincinnati completely blew Tool away. I expected a lot more from them.
OFFLINE |  
apctoolfan2268's Avatar apctoolfan2268
07-11-2007, 09:13 AM

So, by my accounting, if we include "ROD_002" that makes six people that thought the show sucked.... out of thousands of people that thought the show was the best event they had ever seen..... hhhmmmmm?? I'll take that percentage. I thought the show was spectacular. The sound could have been better, sure.... but we were blessed by the greatest band alive (maybe ever). To compare TOOL to "Slipknot" or "Trapt" is moronic ( and I like those bands, but Tool is on a whole different level ) This was my seventh Tool show (third this tour) and they have been better each time, obviously growing as musicians and human beings. How many of us can honestly say that? Restroom lines SUCKED but 24oz Steel Reserve cups rocked.... some sorta connection there I'm sure :P PEACE AND LOVE

Last edited by apctoolfan2268; 07-11-2007 at 07:06 PM..
Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

So, by my accounting, if we include "ROD_002" that makes six people that thought the show sucked.... out of thousands of people that thought the show was the best event they had ever seen..... hhhmmmmm?? I'll take that percentage. I thought the show was spectacular. The sound could have been better, sure.... but we were blessed by the greatest band alive (maybe ever). To compare TOOL to "Slipknot" or "Trapt" is moronic ( and I like those bands, but Tool is on a whole different level ) This was my seventh Tool show (third this tour) and they have been better each time, obviously growing as musicians and human beings. How many of us can honestly say that? Restroom lines SUCKED but 24oz Steel Reserve cups rocked.... some sorta connection there I'm sure :P PEACE AND LOVE

Last edited by apctoolfan2268; 07-11-2007 at 07:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
bucketofpower
07-12-2007, 07:22 PM

I just recently had the pleasure of seeing Tool on 7/7/07 (lucky indeed), but before I get too deep into the show, I want to thank the Excalibur casino for providing the necessary funds to attend said show.

This all began when I met my current girlfriend of now 7+ months. I met her in Flagstaff, AZ on a visit to my friend. I live in Phoenix, so there's a bit of a commute. When I met her, we discussed music and shared many mutual interests. One thing leads to another, I get her number, and voila, we are dating.

She grew up in Farmington, NM so we decided to go there for a weekend this past February so I could meet her folks. On the trip out there, I brought Lateralus and we enjoyed it on the 5+ hour drive. While in Farmington, I decided to commemorate my visit by making a purchase. We visited a Best Buy and, low and behold, I saw 10,000 Days. I remember hearing that it came out, but only in passing and couldn't give you the reason why I didn't purchase. I didn't listen to any of the songs and didn't know any of the titles.

On the way back to Flagstaff, we popped it in the ole CD player. While I was driving, she popped on the stereoscopic specs and was amazed. Not only was she amazed with the artwork, but rather 2 of the songs.

"They have a song on here titled 'Wings for Marie,' and there's a second part as well."

Much to her surprise, the coincidence becomes apparent as her name, too, is Marie. We listened to the album the rest of the way home, needless to say, but it was mainly background to conversation.

Within the next week, I was compelled to look up lyrics for Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days. What I found was completely unexpected. What I found was music so beautiful that it moved me in a way that no song has ever done. Hell, this song provided more of an emotional punch than any speech, sermon, or anything which involves a mouth and words, well, not all words out of a mouth, but most. Needless to say, every time I listen to the two songs, I get the chills (it never fails).

After I felt this feeling, I had to share this with Marie the next time I saw her, and she agreed that it was one of the best and most powerful songs she has ever heard.

I felt determined to catch Tool in concert. I've been to two shows (one in March of '98 at Phoenix Civic Plaza and one in October of '01 at Cricket Pavilion), but now I wanted to see them more than ever, longing to feel the connection of hearing WFM/10KD in person. After winning a small jackpot at the Excalibur casino in Sin City, I knew what to do. There were some scheduling conflicts, as when Tool rolled into AZ, they played in Tucson the same day I attended a wedding in a return trip to Vegas. With Marie being in summer school at CCC and NAU in Flag, I had to really examine the tour schedule for when would be best to go. She just ended her first summer session on 7/3/07, but she started again on 7/9/07, so I looked to see what date could fall in-between and also what shows had the best tickets available. It just so happens that Tool was playing in Huntington on 7/7/07 and, as of a month ago, GA floor tickets were still available.

done.deal.

After making the purchase of airfare, hotel, sustinence, and tickets, we were ready to see Tool. Marie had never seen Tool, so all I told her was that it was a sensory experience like no other.

We arrived in Huntington on 7/6/07. After enjoying a meal at the Marshall cafe (forgive me as I don't remember the exact name), we got in line to the show about 3 hours before doors opened. While the anticipation (and humidity) was ever-present, we knew what we'd be in for.

We were front and center with about 3 people in front of us. Tool took the stage and absolutely tore through their setlist. Jambi, Stinkfist, 46&2, Schism, Rosetta Stoned, and Right In Two knocked my socks off. At the same time, more anticipation built as I was looking forward to WFM/10KD and then, it finally came. My body became a wave of emotion and I was so glad I had her standing there by my side. When Maynard dug deep and sang, "Give me my wings!" I couldn't help but shed a single tear. What's really funny is that I don't consider myself an emotional guy at all, but this song seemed to open a door that I don't see being shut any time soon. Not to mention, Lateralus and Vicarious absolutely rocked.

If you've read this all, I thank you for your patience. I wanted to share my story because this concert was just so much more than a concert, it was an experience. For that, I wanted to thank Tool for the invocation as these memories will not be soon forgotten.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

I just recently had the pleasure of seeing Tool on 7/7/07 (lucky indeed), but before I get too deep into the show, I want to thank the Excalibur casino for providing the necessary funds to attend said show.

This all began when I met my current girlfriend of now 7+ months. I met her in Flagstaff, AZ on a visit to my friend. I live in Phoenix, so there's a bit of a commute. When I met her, we discussed music and shared many mutual interests. One thing leads to another, I get her number, and voila, we are dating.

She grew up in Farmington, NM so we decided to go there for a weekend this past February so I could meet her folks. On the trip out there, I brought Lateralus and we enjoyed it on the 5+ hour drive. While in Farmington, I decided to commemorate my visit by making a purchase. We visited a Best Buy and, low and behold, I saw 10,000 Days. I remember hearing that it came out, but only in passing and couldn't give you the reason why I didn't purchase. I didn't listen to any of the songs and didn't know any of the titles.

On the way back to Flagstaff, we popped it in the ole CD player. While I was driving, she popped on the stereoscopic specs and was amazed. Not only was she amazed with the artwork, but rather 2 of the songs.

"They have a song on here titled 'Wings for Marie,' and there's a second part as well."

Much to her surprise, the coincidence becomes apparent as her name, too, is Marie. We listened to the album the rest of the way home, needless to say, but it was mainly background to conversation.

Within the next week, I was compelled to look up lyrics for Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days. What I found was completely unexpected. What I found was music so beautiful that it moved me in a way that no song has ever done. Hell, this song provided more of an emotional punch than any speech, sermon, or anything which involves a mouth and words, well, not all words out of a mouth, but most. Needless to say, every time I listen to the two songs, I get the chills (it never fails).

After I felt this feeling, I had to share this with Marie the next time I saw her, and she agreed that it was one of the best and most powerful songs she has ever heard.

I felt determined to catch Tool in concert. I've been to two shows (one in March of '98 at Phoenix Civic Plaza and one in October of '01 at Cricket Pavilion), but now I wanted to see them more than ever, longing to feel the connection of hearing WFM/10KD in person. After winning a small jackpot at the Excalibur casino in Sin City, I knew what to do. There were some scheduling conflicts, as when Tool rolled into AZ, they played in Tucson the same day I attended a wedding in a return trip to Vegas. With Marie being in summer school at CCC and NAU in Flag, I had to really examine the tour schedule for when would be best to go. She just ended her first summer session on 7/3/07, but she started again on 7/9/07, so I looked to see what date could fall in-between and also what shows had the best tickets available. It just so happens that Tool was playing in Huntington on 7/7/07 and, as of a month ago, GA floor tickets were still available.

done.deal.

After making the purchase of airfare, hotel, sustinence, and tickets, we were ready to see Tool. Marie had never seen Tool, so all I told her was that it was a sensory experience like no other.

We arrived in Huntington on 7/6/07. After enjoying a meal at the Marshall cafe (forgive me as I don't remember the exact name), we got in line to the show about 3 hours before doors opened. While the anticipation (and humidity) was ever-present, we knew what we'd be in for.

We were front and center with about 3 people in front of us. Tool took the stage and absolutely tore through their setlist. Jambi, Stinkfist, 46&2, Schism, Rosetta Stoned, and Right In Two knocked my socks off. At the same time, more anticipation built as I was looking forward to WFM/10KD and then, it finally came. My body became a wave of emotion and I was so glad I had her standing there by my side. When Maynard dug deep and sang, "Give me my wings!" I couldn't help but shed a single tear. What's really funny is that I don't consider myself an emotional guy at all, but this song seemed to open a door that I don't see being shut any time soon. Not to mention, Lateralus and Vicarious absolutely rocked.

If you've read this all, I thank you for your patience. I wanted to share my story because this concert was just so much more than a concert, it was an experience. For that, I wanted to thank Tool for the invocation as these memories will not be soon forgotten.
OFFLINE |  
dr funkmaster's Avatar dr funkmaster
07-15-2007, 09:45 PM

Well just got back from that week long trip around the midwest. While I had a great week the highlight of the trip was definitely this show. Ever since I heard "Just As the Day Was Dawning" I've been really looking forward to hearing Big Business, and they did not disappoint. Only the Melvins received a warmer reception from the fans at any TOOL show I've been to.

As for TOOL, the highlights for me were Stinkfist, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Lateralus. Stinkfist was great just because of the fans in WV. The venue was not much bigger than my old high school's gym so that may have helped but I could hear everyone screaming the lyrics and it gave me chills.

Right in Two was not as good as Flood and it seemed like the guys were messing up a lot more than I'm used to witnessing early in the song, but the end was quite powerful. It makes the highlight reel mostly because it was the first time I had heard this one live, and I'm just glad I got the chance.

Rosetta Stoned makes my top 4 just because it seems like all 4 guys were into this one more than at my previous two shows on this tour. I enjoyed this song at all 3 shows, but this was the performance that really stands out.

As always the #1 highlight was Lateralus though. The Big Business drummer was actually a worthy competitor to Danny in the drumoff (though of course still a clear 2nd place finisher). I really loved the way one's solo would end with a cymbal hit and simultaneously the other's solo would begin with that same cymbal hit. That whole sequence was outstanding and rivaled Triad from 5 years ago.

Last edited by dr funkmaster; 07-15-2007 at 09:48 PM..
Old 07-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #26

Well just got back from that week long trip around the midwest. While I had a great week the highlight of the trip was definitely this show. Ever since I heard "Just As the Day Was Dawning" I've been really looking forward to hearing Big Business, and they did not disappoint. Only the Melvins received a warmer reception from the fans at any TOOL show I've been to.

As for TOOL, the highlights for me were Stinkfist, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Lateralus. Stinkfist was great just because of the fans in WV. The venue was not much bigger than my old high school's gym so that may have helped but I could hear everyone screaming the lyrics and it gave me chills.

Right in Two was not as good as Flood and it seemed like the guys were messing up a lot more than I'm used to witnessing early in the song, but the end was quite powerful. It makes the highlight reel mostly because it was the first time I had heard this one live, and I'm just glad I got the chance.

Rosetta Stoned makes my top 4 just because it seems like all 4 guys were into this one more than at my previous two shows on this tour. I enjoyed this song at all 3 shows, but this was the performance that really stands out.

As always the #1 highlight was Lateralus though. The Big Business drummer was actually a worthy competitor to Danny in the drumoff (though of course still a clear 2nd place finisher). I really loved the way one's solo would end with a cymbal hit and simultaneously the other's solo would begin with that same cymbal hit. That whole sequence was outstanding and rivaled Triad from 5 years ago.

Last edited by dr funkmaster; 07-15-2007 at 09:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
will see you auntie's Avatar will see you auntie
07-19-2007, 07:13 AM

this was my 8th tool show. pretty damn good. better than last time in wv. big business was great. very impressed with coady especially--so much bang for such a tiny drum kit. anytime you get guys from the melvins opening for tool, you get your moneys worth. as far as tool, maynard seemed to be in a good mood. came in wearing a blaze orange windbreaker, cowboy hat, bootcut jeans. later took off windbreaker to reveal about 10 blaze orange friendship bracelets...what goes thru this guys mind when picking out his wardrobe? danny-usual kansas jayhawks jersey....adam l.a. lakers tee shirt and justin with a trendy button up shirt that looked like a number from last falls dolce and gabbana collection....do i sound gay? i promise i'm not...maybe i should get a job with Vogue or Cosmo... anyway, band rocked...glad to hear right in two, as last time i saw them they didnt play it... wouldve loved to have heard aenema, opiate, the pot, or something from undertow, but as these guys have been around for a while, their catalog is getting pretty big and they only have a limited amount of time to play--besides every song theyve ever written kicks ass, so it was still a great show. highlights for me were jambi, stinkfist, and vicarious was so good it made me wanna kill myself. was on the floor about 15 feet from adam so it was awesome to see him w/ talk box on jambi so close. well another good show. see you auntie.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

this was my 8th tool show. pretty damn good. better than last time in wv. big business was great. very impressed with coady especially--so much bang for such a tiny drum kit. anytime you get guys from the melvins opening for tool, you get your moneys worth. as far as tool, maynard seemed to be in a good mood. came in wearing a blaze orange windbreaker, cowboy hat, bootcut jeans. later took off windbreaker to reveal about 10 blaze orange friendship bracelets...what goes thru this guys mind when picking out his wardrobe? danny-usual kansas jayhawks jersey....adam l.a. lakers tee shirt and justin with a trendy button up shirt that looked like a number from last falls dolce and gabbana collection....do i sound gay? i promise i'm not...maybe i should get a job with Vogue or Cosmo... anyway, band rocked...glad to hear right in two, as last time i saw them they didnt play it... wouldve loved to have heard aenema, opiate, the pot, or something from undertow, but as these guys have been around for a while, their catalog is getting pretty big and they only have a limited amount of time to play--besides every song theyve ever written kicks ass, so it was still a great show. highlights for me were jambi, stinkfist, and vicarious was so good it made me wanna kill myself. was on the floor about 15 feet from adam so it was awesome to see him w/ talk box on jambi so close. well another good show. see you auntie.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply