Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46&2
Lateralus
Aenema

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 06-21-2010 at 05:42 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553
06.20.2010 - Houston, TX @ Toyota Center

Reviews only, please

SETLIST --

Third Eye
Jambi
(-)Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46&2
Lateralus
Aenema

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 06-21-2010 at 05:42 PM..
OFFLINE |  
ToolooT_33
06-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Third eye
Jambi
ions
stinkfist
vicarious
eon blue apocalypse
the patient.
Intolerance
schism
46 and 2
lateralus
aenima

WOW fucking amazing section 111 row 15, SICK visuals everybody was on tonight. I will post more tomorrow. "do you guys like Michael J Fox?" " Do you remeber when he went back to the future?" ... "well we have something like that here, a flux capacitor if you will."
Old 06-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.20.2010 - Houston, TX @ Toyota Center

Third eye
Jambi
ions
stinkfist
vicarious
eon blue apocalypse
the patient.
Intolerance
schism
46 and 2
lateralus
aenima

WOW fucking amazing section 111 row 15, SICK visuals everybody was on tonight. I will post more tomorrow. "do you guys like Michael J Fox?" " Do you remeber when he went back to the future?" ... "well we have something like that here, a flux capacitor if you will."
06-20-2010, 08:37 PM

WOW at visuals. I cannot say enough about them. The 7 screen stage with the 2 moving screens is insane! This has got to be on par with their best shows of the lateralus era from a stage and visual perspective. Bravo junior and crew!
-maynardism: "public service announcement. I'm engaged. So you chicks in the front row put your shirts back on. It's nit gonna happen"
-maynardism: "everyone raise your hand..... If you like Michael J Fox. Y'know... Back to the future? Well we kind of have a flux capacitator.. To the past" cue intolerance.
-maynardism: "for the next 2 hours.... Nothing else matters"
-i want to know what technology they use for the moving screens. I noticed later in the show when they turned them off they were see-through!! That's crazy.
-EXTENDED songs! I forgot to mention yesterday but Third Eye is actually an extended live version at the end! So is intolerance. The patient also has extended intro on the guitar. Usual extensions on stinkfist and schism.
-the 2 moving screens also have the ability to tilt in weird directions. So at one point they both were diagonally facing the middle of the stage while on a slant. It's hard to explain. Damn the visuals were outstanding even for tool standards.
-the new lighting rigs junior uses are interesting. 4 separate sets of lights each with 4 lights that move individually. Each rig has the ability to move up and down the stage AND rocks back and forth. During The Patient they had the moving tilted screens, light rigs rocking back and forth plus slowly moving layers of lasers. Just try to imagine that.
-the background video footage for Third Eye is AWESOME. Good fucking god.
-they played the Leary third eye intro speech twice
-nardo took cellphone pics again at start of show. This time he made it back to sinv the lyrics though.

Okay I need to stop this review because all I'm doing is jizzinv my pants over every aspect of the concert

also I owe a HUGE thanks to tdner "mandragora" who responded to my post on this forum and taxi'd me to and from the venue. even shared some of the tool herbal remedy ;)
as always, the people of the tdn tool community are incredible.

Bottom line: GO TO A SHOW IF POSSIBLE. One day when this band is gone the 2010 summer tour will be at the very top alongside a couple ones many years ago.

Last edited by kanaduh; 06-20-2010 at 10:22 PM..
Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

WOW at visuals. I cannot say enough about them. The 7 screen stage with the 2 moving screens is insane! This has got to be on par with their best shows of the lateralus era from a stage and visual perspective. Bravo junior and crew!
-maynardism: "public service announcement. I'm engaged. So you chicks in the front row put your shirts back on. It's nit gonna happen"
-maynardism: "everyone raise your hand..... If you like Michael J Fox. Y'know... Back to the future? Well we kind of have a flux capacitator.. To the past" cue intolerance.
-maynardism: "for the next 2 hours.... Nothing else matters"
-i want to know what technology they use for the moving screens. I noticed later in the show when they turned them off they were see-through!! That's crazy.
-EXTENDED songs! I forgot to mention yesterday but Third Eye is actually an extended live version at the end! So is intolerance. The patient also has extended intro on the guitar. Usual extensions on stinkfist and schism.
-the 2 moving screens also have the ability to tilt in weird directions. So at one point they both were diagonally facing the middle of the stage while on a slant. It's hard to explain. Damn the visuals were outstanding even for tool standards.
-the new lighting rigs junior uses are interesting. 4 separate sets of lights each with 4 lights that move individually. Each rig has the ability to move up and down the stage AND rocks back and forth. During The Patient they had the moving tilted screens, light rigs rocking back and forth plus slowly moving layers of lasers. Just try to imagine that.
-the background video footage for Third Eye is AWESOME. Good fucking god.
-they played the Leary third eye intro speech twice
-nardo took cellphone pics again at start of show. This time he made it back to sinv the lyrics though.

Okay I need to stop this review because all I'm doing is jizzinv my pants over every aspect of the concert

also I owe a HUGE thanks to tdner "mandragora" who responded to my post on this forum and taxi'd me to and from the venue. even shared some of the tool herbal remedy ;)
as always, the people of the tdn tool community are incredible.

Bottom line: GO TO A SHOW IF POSSIBLE. One day when this band is gone the 2010 summer tour will be at the very top alongside a couple ones many years ago.

Last edited by kanaduh; 06-20-2010 at 10:22 PM..
OFFLINE |  
savagehenry's Avatar savagehenry
06-20-2010, 09:17 PM

I'm typing this via phone so it won't be so long, will get more when I get to full sized keyboard. Junior and crew are amazing!!! And the energy between the band felt good. I haven't heard Maynard this vocal in years. The whole band just seemed to be in ebb and flow with each other. Even through what seemed to be technical difficulties during lateralus the band just seemed in sync with each other. The setlist was great. What more can you say...they opened with third eye!!!!!!!!!! Such a tasty treat. Thanks tool, meet you on the other side
Old 06-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm typing this via phone so it won't be so long, will get more when I get to full sized keyboard. Junior and crew are amazing!!! And the energy between the band felt good. I haven't heard Maynard this vocal in years. The whole band just seemed to be in ebb and flow with each other. Even through what seemed to be technical difficulties during lateralus the band just seemed in sync with each other. The setlist was great. What more can you say...they opened with third eye!!!!!!!!!! Such a tasty treat. Thanks tool, meet you on the other side
TXToolHead
06-20-2010, 11:32 PM

Definitely the best night of my life. The most amazing 2 hours I feel I will ever experience, and I am lucky to have seen them 15 rows back, right in front of Justin. The lights were dead on, the amp levels were perfect could hear everything great. All of them put on an amazing show, but of course Maynard was more of the crowd guy. All I can say is I wish this night had lasted forever.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Definitely the best night of my life. The most amazing 2 hours I feel I will ever experience, and I am lucky to have seen them 15 rows back, right in front of Justin. The lights were dead on, the amp levels were perfect could hear everything great. All of them put on an amazing show, but of course Maynard was more of the crowd guy. All I can say is I wish this night had lasted forever.
OFFLINE |  
TXToolHead
06-20-2010, 11:37 PM

Lol another Maynardism: "Get me a beer... Yeah all this awesome drumming deserves a beer", during Danny's drum solo.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Lol another Maynardism: "Get me a beer... Yeah all this awesome drumming deserves a beer", during Danny's drum solo.
OFFLINE |  
Merkabarixxx's Avatar Merkabarixxx
06-21-2010, 04:35 AM

This show for me was the best since the AEnima Tour. The visuals, i.e. video, lights, were a trip. Above and far beyond TOOL's normal repertoire of visual stimulation.

And then Maynard said: "I smell pot"

Second row center...WHAT A VIEW !!!!

Check out my pix

http://stashbox.org/932913/Tool%202.jpeg

http://stashbox.org/932916/Tool%201.jpeg
Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

This show for me was the best since the AEnima Tour. The visuals, i.e. video, lights, were a trip. Above and far beyond TOOL's normal repertoire of visual stimulation.

And then Maynard said: "I smell pot"

Second row center...WHAT A VIEW !!!!

Check out my pix

http://stashbox.org/932913/Tool%202.jpeg

http://stashbox.org/932916/Tool%201.jpeg
OFFLINE |  
$pir4L's Avatar $pir4L
06-21-2010, 05:35 AM

TOOL show #7

I wasn't going to go. From onsale until about 5 hours before the show I wasn't going to go. I have seen them every time they have come through Texas since 01 and I was content with not going. Really didn't have the money either. Then I read the setlist...I started feeling like I wanted to go but still wasn't convinced, went out to have lunch and my waiter walked up to me and the first thing he said was "Cool hat, you're going to TOOL tonight, right?" Before the end I had convinced him to go, but still wasn't myself...I went home and got on the Toyota Center website just to see what tix were left and when I checked it offered me some of the best seats in the house, Sec 114 right on the fucking rail. Dead Center Front Row Lower Prom. The only person that was blocking my view remotely was the sound board guy. Amazing seats, it was meant to be. Now on to the review...

!!!Third Eye!!!
Jambi
Stinkfist Extended
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse>The Patient!!
!!!Intolerance Extended!!!
Schism Extended w/ Double Time section
46 & 2
Intermission
Lateralus Extended
Ænima

Missed Wovenhand, haven't heard about them yet, how were they?

I tried to imagine what it would be like to hear Third Eye live, not considering what the visuals would look like, and to hear the surprise in everyone's screams at this being the opener was priceless. It was perfect. Maynard wasn't sick, pissed off, or even very quiet. He was constantly dancing and moving and cracking Maynardisms, they were all in top form. It's become a treat to see how Junior and crew evolve the set every new tour, keep up the good work guys. I hope someone got a killer shot of the Third Eye stage, from the rainbow colored ribbons on blackness to the tye dye explosion coming out of Maynard's head, it was nothing short of Fucking Amazing.

"For the next two hours, nothing else matters"

The next block of Jambi, Stinkfist Extended and Vicarious was business as usual, they are always amazing to hear live, I still love hearing everyone getting spoofed on "I'll Keep Digging" when they break it down during the extended part of Stinkfist :)

Eon Blue into the Patient was a refreshing make up, the last time I heard it live was 2002 at Compaq, and Maynard was sick, walked off stage halfway thru the song, never got to "Be Patient". This was spot on perfect and its always great to hear other Lateralus tracks.

"Alright, Hands Up!" "Now, who are former fans of Michael J. Fox?" "He went Back to the Future, well we got our hands on a Flux Capacitor"

Intolerance. Fucking Intolerance. I haven't jammed that hard in a long time. I really don't know what to say, I never thought I would hear it live...He sounded Excellent. The screams were Awesome. I never thought of it being Extended either. The other Highlight of my night and a definite highlight in all the times I have seem TOOL. Bravo.

Schism is only saved anymore for me by the Double Time section, it adds what the song needs for longevity, especially live, they've done it every single time I have seen them. 46 & 2 is always sick to see live, Danny is a golden god. Business as usual.

Intermission seemed shorter this time, I figured that Third Eye took up most of the show and they had to make cuts where appropriate too keep their time tight as usual, I knew that there were only two more songs left so maybe that's why it seemed to fly, at least the Candy Striper red and white lights weren't right in my eyes for the whole Intermission, they didn't have the round rigs so there wasn't the whole UFO thing going on this time around.

Lateralus is far and away one of the best things that they do live. I was kind of shocked that "The guest drumer didn't come out" or "Danny didn't have an extremely long solo" and before I knew it "With my feet upon the ground..." was coming out of Maynards mouth...sometime during Lateralus Maynard said "I Smell Pot". Good shit too, someone went to that show with some chronic in their pocket and thought to themselves "Maynard is going to smell my fucking pot tonite" lol. Danny again is a golden god, his solos are not of this earth. Maynard made a comment about "Drumming like that deserves a beer.

"News Flash" "I got engaged" Then I waited for the punchline...Danny even did a little comedic drumroll..."So all of you fat ass guys in the front row flashing your tits at me, put your fucking shirts back on! It's not going to happen."

Ænima is the strongest I have ever seen it, he sharpened it and screamed and the laser finale is in your face, Thank you TOOL and Junior for moving me through the whole fucking show, sorry for saying I wasn't going to go. The best show closer ever.

It was meant to be, Seats were A+, show was in the top 3 ever for me. Do wish I had gotten a poster though, if anyone has an extra, hit me up :) [email protected]

TOOL FUCKIN TOOL

Last edited by $pir4L; 06-21-2010 at 05:37 AM..
Old 06-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

TOOL show #7

I wasn't going to go. From onsale until about 5 hours before the show I wasn't going to go. I have seen them every time they have come through Texas since 01 and I was content with not going. Really didn't have the money either. Then I read the setlist...I started feeling like I wanted to go but still wasn't convinced, went out to have lunch and my waiter walked up to me and the first thing he said was "Cool hat, you're going to TOOL tonight, right?" Before the end I had convinced him to go, but still wasn't myself...I went home and got on the Toyota Center website just to see what tix were left and when I checked it offered me some of the best seats in the house, Sec 114 right on the fucking rail. Dead Center Front Row Lower Prom. The only person that was blocking my view remotely was the sound board guy. Amazing seats, it was meant to be. Now on to the review...

!!!Third Eye!!!
Jambi
Stinkfist Extended
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse>The Patient!!
!!!Intolerance Extended!!!
Schism Extended w/ Double Time section
46 & 2
Intermission
Lateralus Extended
Ænima

Missed Wovenhand, haven't heard about them yet, how were they?

I tried to imagine what it would be like to hear Third Eye live, not considering what the visuals would look like, and to hear the surprise in everyone's screams at this being the opener was priceless. It was perfect. Maynard wasn't sick, pissed off, or even very quiet. He was constantly dancing and moving and cracking Maynardisms, they were all in top form. It's become a treat to see how Junior and crew evolve the set every new tour, keep up the good work guys. I hope someone got a killer shot of the Third Eye stage, from the rainbow colored ribbons on blackness to the tye dye explosion coming out of Maynard's head, it was nothing short of Fucking Amazing.

"For the next two hours, nothing else matters"

The next block of Jambi, Stinkfist Extended and Vicarious was business as usual, they are always amazing to hear live, I still love hearing everyone getting spoofed on "I'll Keep Digging" when they break it down during the extended part of Stinkfist :)

Eon Blue into the Patient was a refreshing make up, the last time I heard it live was 2002 at Compaq, and Maynard was sick, walked off stage halfway thru the song, never got to "Be Patient". This was spot on perfect and its always great to hear other Lateralus tracks.

"Alright, Hands Up!" "Now, who are former fans of Michael J. Fox?" "He went Back to the Future, well we got our hands on a Flux Capacitor"

Intolerance. Fucking Intolerance. I haven't jammed that hard in a long time. I really don't know what to say, I never thought I would hear it live...He sounded Excellent. The screams were Awesome. I never thought of it being Extended either. The other Highlight of my night and a definite highlight in all the times I have seem TOOL. Bravo.

Schism is only saved anymore for me by the Double Time section, it adds what the song needs for longevity, especially live, they've done it every single time I have seen them. 46 & 2 is always sick to see live, Danny is a golden god. Business as usual.

Intermission seemed shorter this time, I figured that Third Eye took up most of the show and they had to make cuts where appropriate too keep their time tight as usual, I knew that there were only two more songs left so maybe that's why it seemed to fly, at least the Candy Striper red and white lights weren't right in my eyes for the whole Intermission, they didn't have the round rigs so there wasn't the whole UFO thing going on this time around.

Lateralus is far and away one of the best things that they do live. I was kind of shocked that "The guest drumer didn't come out" or "Danny didn't have an extremely long solo" and before I knew it "With my feet upon the ground..." was coming out of Maynards mouth...sometime during Lateralus Maynard said "I Smell Pot". Good shit too, someone went to that show with some chronic in their pocket and thought to themselves "Maynard is going to smell my fucking pot tonite" lol. Danny again is a golden god, his solos are not of this earth. Maynard made a comment about "Drumming like that deserves a beer.

"News Flash" "I got engaged" Then I waited for the punchline...Danny even did a little comedic drumroll..."So all of you fat ass guys in the front row flashing your tits at me, put your fucking shirts back on! It's not going to happen."

Ænima is the strongest I have ever seen it, he sharpened it and screamed and the laser finale is in your face, Thank you TOOL and Junior for moving me through the whole fucking show, sorry for saying I wasn't going to go. The best show closer ever.

It was meant to be, Seats were A+, show was in the top 3 ever for me. Do wish I had gotten a poster though, if anyone has an extra, hit me up :) [email protected]

TOOL FUCKIN TOOL

Last edited by $pir4L; 06-21-2010 at 05:37 AM..
OFFLINE |  
t_ram79
06-21-2010, 06:39 AM

This was my 6th time seeing Tool and I have to say they redeemed themselves from the previous 2 times I saw them. Third Eye for an opener was killer. I can't complain about the setlist, I thought it was perfect. From start to finish the concert was awesome. When Maynard said, "For the next two hours, nothing else matters." He was right. Bravo!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 6th time seeing Tool and I have to say they redeemed themselves from the previous 2 times I saw them. Third Eye for an opener was killer. I can't complain about the setlist, I thought it was perfect. From start to finish the concert was awesome. When Maynard said, "For the next two hours, nothing else matters." He was right. Bravo!
OFFLINE |  
AgentDMT
06-21-2010, 07:54 AM

Excellent show, best show since the Beaumont show in 2003 (in the Houston area). Excellent work on the visuals. I particularly enjoyed the rigs coming down through the lasers and the video screens lining up parallel to the laser plane http://twitpic.com/1yn26e. Excellent work Junior. The visual artistry on a lot of the backing videos has really went up a notch. Third Eye visuals were simply amazing. 46&2 Visuals I really enjoyed. I think some of those visuals are new (although I could be wrong). After they played Intolerance, injecting the crowd with raw, unfiltered Undertowian emotion, I wanted them to abandon the setlist and just play the rest of Undertow all the way through. Maynard appeared to drink a bottle of wine and then a beer through the performance. Vocals were excellent. I'm starting to think the reason for him not singing the end of Vicarious is more of a statement than a conservation of his voice. Something about a crowd of 10,000+ people chanting "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies" has a certain philosophical angle to it, that I can't quite put words on. Mixing was great, especially the power of Carey's kit. With a flick of his wrist he could elevate that entire stadium. All and all, excellent concert, A+.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Excellent show, best show since the Beaumont show in 2003 (in the Houston area). Excellent work on the visuals. I particularly enjoyed the rigs coming down through the lasers and the video screens lining up parallel to the laser plane http://twitpic.com/1yn26e. Excellent work Junior. The visual artistry on a lot of the backing videos has really went up a notch. Third Eye visuals were simply amazing. 46&2 Visuals I really enjoyed. I think some of those visuals are new (although I could be wrong). After they played Intolerance, injecting the crowd with raw, unfiltered Undertowian emotion, I wanted them to abandon the setlist and just play the rest of Undertow all the way through. Maynard appeared to drink a bottle of wine and then a beer through the performance. Vocals were excellent. I'm starting to think the reason for him not singing the end of Vicarious is more of a statement than a conservation of his voice. Something about a crowd of 10,000+ people chanting "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies" has a certain philosophical angle to it, that I can't quite put words on. Mixing was great, especially the power of Carey's kit. With a flick of his wrist he could elevate that entire stadium. All and all, excellent concert, A+.
OFFLINE |  
Rougeou
06-21-2010, 08:04 AM

Tool had ME screaming holy fucking shit! What a great show!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool had ME screaming holy fucking shit! What a great show!
OFFLINE |  
synyster11
06-21-2010, 08:09 AM

Great show!!! Did anyone get a picture of the $450 custom tour poster? It was just like the normal signed version for the show with a custom drawing all over it. I did not get a chance to see it but had a few people tell me about it. The show/sound/vibe of the show was top notch. Vocals were nice a clear and it really felt like the band was having fun.

Side Note: The security was totally out of hand with the camera BS. I understand them getting pissed about real cameras but I watched a security guard bull-doze right throw the two rows in front of me to get some girls phone. With an amazing light show like that do you really think people are not going to get a picture with their phone?!?! Yes, cell phones can be distracting but not near as much as watching these security guards go for cell phones like their life depended on it. I watch one guy seriously rip this girls blackberry apart to take the battery out. She took about 5 pictures total… Why not just taze her while you are at it. Then this female security “total bitch” tried to take this guys iphone from him and he got in her face. This resulted in three other security guys getting involved and removing him from the show “with force”. Wow… are we really kicking people out of shows for this???? IT’S A FUCKING CELL PHONE!!!! That was disappointing to see. Those security guys get a little too much power and pretty much go nuts with it.

During the final song I had to get a quick picture with my phone and sure enough, this guy puts a flashlight in my face and said “if I see it again it’s mine”. I knew it was the last song and simply replied “Fuck you”

Edit: I was on the floor when all this happend. Section D

Last edited by synyster11; 06-21-2010 at 08:42 AM..
Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show!!! Did anyone get a picture of the $450 custom tour poster? It was just like the normal signed version for the show with a custom drawing all over it. I did not get a chance to see it but had a few people tell me about it. The show/sound/vibe of the show was top notch. Vocals were nice a clear and it really felt like the band was having fun.

Side Note: The security was totally out of hand with the camera BS. I understand them getting pissed about real cameras but I watched a security guard bull-doze right throw the two rows in front of me to get some girls phone. With an amazing light show like that do you really think people are not going to get a picture with their phone?!?! Yes, cell phones can be distracting but not near as much as watching these security guards go for cell phones like their life depended on it. I watch one guy seriously rip this girls blackberry apart to take the battery out. She took about 5 pictures total… Why not just taze her while you are at it. Then this female security “total bitch” tried to take this guys iphone from him and he got in her face. This resulted in three other security guys getting involved and removing him from the show “with force”. Wow… are we really kicking people out of shows for this???? IT’S A FUCKING CELL PHONE!!!! That was disappointing to see. Those security guys get a little too much power and pretty much go nuts with it.

During the final song I had to get a quick picture with my phone and sure enough, this guy puts a flashlight in my face and said “if I see it again it’s mine”. I knew it was the last song and simply replied “Fuck you”

Edit: I was on the floor when all this happend. Section D

Last edited by synyster11; 06-21-2010 at 08:42 AM..
OFFLINE |  
ToolFanFromWayBack's Avatar ToolFanFromWayBack
06-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Awesome show. No voice today at all... This one ranks up with the best shows I have ever seen visually and sonically.

Maynard smells pot...

edit
I agree with the phone nazi comments. I got the battery to my camera taken. Luckily I had a backup!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Awesome show. No voice today at all... This one ranks up with the best shows I have ever seen visually and sonically.

Maynard smells pot...

edit
I agree with the phone nazi comments. I got the battery to my camera taken. Luckily I had a backup!
OFFLINE |  
nembutals
06-21-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentDMT View Post
Maynard appeared to drink a bottle of wine and then a beer through the performance. Vocals were excellent. I'm starting to think the reason for him not singing the end of Vicarious is more of a statement than a conservation of his voice. Something about a crowd of 10,000+ people chanting "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies" has a certain philosophical angle to it, that I can't quite put words on.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm watching a couple recordings from the New Orleans show and he sounds phenomenal on The Patient. There's nothing he's hitting there that he cannot hit on the ending of Vicarious. I think he just has fun letting the audience sing that part.

The security guards sound like fucking assholes, I think alot of those people just don't get enough opportunities to assert themselves in their personal lives so when someone gives them a little taste of power at a concert venue they go nuts. The cellphone thing is absurd. I know some dumb hulking oaf boring his way through the crowd around me would be way more disruptive to the concert experience than someone just trying to snap a few photos with a little glowing phone...

Thanks for the awesome reviews everyone!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentDMT View Post
Maynard appeared to drink a bottle of wine and then a beer through the performance. Vocals were excellent. I'm starting to think the reason for him not singing the end of Vicarious is more of a statement than a conservation of his voice. Something about a crowd of 10,000+ people chanting "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies" has a certain philosophical angle to it, that I can't quite put words on.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm watching a couple recordings from the New Orleans show and he sounds phenomenal on The Patient. There's nothing he's hitting there that he cannot hit on the ending of Vicarious. I think he just has fun letting the audience sing that part.

The security guards sound like fucking assholes, I think alot of those people just don't get enough opportunities to assert themselves in their personal lives so when someone gives them a little taste of power at a concert venue they go nuts. The cellphone thing is absurd. I know some dumb hulking oaf boring his way through the crowd around me would be way more disruptive to the concert experience than someone just trying to snap a few photos with a little glowing phone...

Thanks for the awesome reviews everyone!
OFFLINE |  
06IBMGTO
06-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $pir4L View Post

In response to $pir4l....

When Maynard said "I smell Pot"

I said "Hell yeah" and ripped that dro doobie like a champ...

We were in section 108 row 17 and managed to smoke 3/4 of the dro doobies we had. Bubba Kush and Afghani mix in all of them. I wouldnt be surprised if thats what Maynard was smelling lol. I know everyone in our section smelled that shit! We lit the first one up right as the kicked off Third Eye...

Epic concert, set list really surprised me and I feel really lucky to have been there once again. Opening with Third Eye was a treat, intolerance fucking jammed and I couldnt believe they played Eon Blue/The Patient... that one really made the night for me. This concert was way better then last time they came to Toyota Center and was right up there with San Antonio on July 24th 2009. I was really impressed with this concert and cant wait to get a 5th one under my belt as soon as they release the new album sometime next year.

Rock on Tool and thanks once again!

Last edited by 06IBMGTO; 06-21-2010 at 08:42 AM..
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

We were in section 108 row 17 and managed to smoke 3/4 of the dro doobies we had. Bubba Kush and Afghani mix in all of them. I wouldnt be surprised if thats what Maynard was smelling lol. I know everyone in our section smelled that shit! We lit the first one up right as the kicked off Third Eye...

Epic concert, set list really surprised me and I feel really lucky to have been there once again. Opening with Third Eye was a treat, intolerance fucking jammed and I couldnt believe they played Eon Blue/The Patient... that one really made the night for me. This concert was way better then last time they came to Toyota Center and was right up there with San Antonio on July 24th 2009. I was really impressed with this concert and cant wait to get a 5th one under my belt as soon as they release the new album sometime next year.

Rock on Tool and thanks once again!

Last edited by 06IBMGTO; 06-21-2010 at 08:42 AM..
OFFLINE |  
sheepdog
06-21-2010, 09:04 AM

I think the reason Maynard lets the audience sing, "Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies," is because the next line is ,"Much better you than I." Tongue in cheek way to compliment the audience maybe, or a comment about self-preservation.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

I think the reason Maynard lets the audience sing, "Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies," is because the next line is ,"Much better you than I." Tongue in cheek way to compliment the audience maybe, or a comment about self-preservation.
OFFLINE |  
Ubatuba
06-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Incredible show… but then again, if you were at this show, you went in already knowing it was going to be

was hoping to get lucky and hear The Pot, but the set list was awesome, finishing up with Lateralus and Ænima was perfect

Maynard was rather animated for this show, drinking beer, time traveling, and apparently newly-engaged (who knows?). was great to see him really getting into the performance and the crowd

Danny was his usual “brain in each limb” self.... once again he donned a Houston Rockets #1 uniform, yeahhhhhhhhhhh... this time with Arriza’s name on it, so long She-Mac

have to agree with the previous post, the security guys and their gestapo-like obsession against cell phones and picture-taking seemed a little much. I know, I know, it can be rather distracting if not limited, but jeezzzz... can’t people take a pic without the flash at a concert, without feeling like they just committed a first degree felony?? clearly, the answer is NO.

anyways, that’s my rant. great show, Tool is phenomenal, will be there the next time they come through.

Uba - confessed Michael J. Fox fan

Last edited by Ubatuba; 06-21-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Incredible show… but then again, if you were at this show, you went in already knowing it was going to be

was hoping to get lucky and hear The Pot, but the set list was awesome, finishing up with Lateralus and Ænima was perfect

Maynard was rather animated for this show, drinking beer, time traveling, and apparently newly-engaged (who knows?). was great to see him really getting into the performance and the crowd

Danny was his usual “brain in each limb” self.... once again he donned a Houston Rockets #1 uniform, yeahhhhhhhhhhh... this time with Arriza’s name on it, so long She-Mac

have to agree with the previous post, the security guys and their gestapo-like obsession against cell phones and picture-taking seemed a little much. I know, I know, it can be rather distracting if not limited, but jeezzzz... can’t people take a pic without the flash at a concert, without feeling like they just committed a first degree felony?? clearly, the answer is NO.

anyways, that’s my rant. great show, Tool is phenomenal, will be there the next time they come through.

Uba - confessed Michael J. Fox fan

Last edited by Ubatuba; 06-21-2010 at 09:22 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Inthewind
06-21-2010, 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=nembutals;2918770]

QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, they bring their own security with them. I had my camera battery taken in Houston...uhh last year?? and that's what the venue people told me when I threatened to sue the fucker that took it because he almost literally broke my arm when he grabbed me and spun me around to get my attention...
Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

[QUOTE=nembutals;2918770]

QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, they bring their own security with them. I had my camera battery taken in Houston...uhh last year?? and that's what the venue people told me when I threatened to sue the fucker that took it because he almost literally broke my arm when he grabbed me and spun me around to get my attention...
OFFLINE |  
Rougeou
06-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFanFromWayBack View Post

Maynard smells pot...

edit
I strongly agree! What a fantastic show!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFanFromWayBack View Post

Maynard smells pot...

edit
I strongly agree! What a fantastic show!
OFFLINE |  
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
06-21-2010, 11:07 AM

sound was great, lights were a trip, good work jr. adam seemed better on than the show before, maynard did bring up his wedding but that didnt stop the tit shots, i seen justins jaw drop many times from the flashers, 3rd row off center on justins side, danny was kicking, maynards vocals spot on i think, heading to CEDAR PARK...yay

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 06-21-2010 at 11:13 AM..
Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

sound was great, lights were a trip, good work jr. adam seemed better on than the show before, maynard did bring up his wedding but that didnt stop the tit shots, i seen justins jaw drop many times from the flashers, 3rd row off center on justins side, danny was kicking, maynards vocals spot on i think, heading to CEDAR PARK...yay

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 06-21-2010 at 11:13 AM..
OFFLINE |  
$pir4L's Avatar $pir4L
06-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06IBMGTO View Post

This concert was way better then last time they came to Toyota Center and was right up there with San Antonio on July 24th 2009.
Props yo I smelled that shit too, I was in 114 on the fuckin rail, I fucking love Bubba.

It was indeed better than 11.16.07, I saw Austin/Frank Erwin 11.14.07 so that one blew 11.16 out of the water, but definitely right up there with 7.24.09, that's exactly what I was thinkin today. San Antonio last summer was fuckin phenominal. Hell I think I posted a review there too come to think of it lol.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

This concert was way better then last time they came to Toyota Center and was right up there with San Antonio on July 24th 2009.
Props yo I smelled that shit too, I was in 114 on the fuckin rail, I fucking love Bubba.

It was indeed better than 11.16.07, I saw Austin/Frank Erwin 11.14.07 so that one blew 11.16 out of the water, but definitely right up there with 7.24.09, that's exactly what I was thinkin today. San Antonio last summer was fuckin phenominal. Hell I think I posted a review there too come to think of it lol.
OFFLINE |  
mattdiggsit
06-21-2010, 12:29 PM

Excellent show. 5th or 6th time seeing em and this may have been the best yet (at least until tomorrow in Cedar Park). It had a greatest hits kinda feel to it. Pretty sweet that the switched it up and let us hear The Patient, Intolerance and 3rd Eye. Drove all the way from Dallas and then drove all the way back later that night (and still made it to work at 8am...). Decided to drink 5hr energy drinks instead of beer... Longest lines ever to get in. And then the line to get a shirt/poster???? Whew. I paid a youngster $15 to cut to the front (there had to be 200 people in line!). I saw the $450 poster and it was pretty sweet. Adam drew a skeleton inside of the monster in silver sharpee marker. They only had 1 left (meaning 5 people must've paid $450/ea for a poster!)

Ran into some dudes from high school that i haven't seen in about 5-10 years (at least), sitting directly behind me in the last row of the floor (sec F i think??). What are the chances i'd be sitting/standing next to some dudes i knew?? Out of all of those people at the venue, i probably only knew a handful and most of them were randomly right next to me. Weird, huh?

Paid $100 for a signed poster. The monster looks pretty badass on this one (you can probably see one on eBay). Hmmm... I checked Tool's merch site and they had many other concert posters. I saw Tool at the Mile High Fest last year and missed out on a poster. Then last week i was on eBay fixing to buy one for $60 when my buddy told me the site was sellin em for $25. Score!

Something sure was smelling skunky towards the back of the floor... I thought it was funny that security was more concerned with cameras than pot. Is Houston a stoner friendly city??
Old 06-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Excellent show. 5th or 6th time seeing em and this may have been the best yet (at least until tomorrow in Cedar Park). It had a greatest hits kinda feel to it. Pretty sweet that the switched it up and let us hear The Patient, Intolerance and 3rd Eye. Drove all the way from Dallas and then drove all the way back later that night (and still made it to work at 8am...). Decided to drink 5hr energy drinks instead of beer... Longest lines ever to get in. And then the line to get a shirt/poster???? Whew. I paid a youngster $15 to cut to the front (there had to be 200 people in line!). I saw the $450 poster and it was pretty sweet. Adam drew a skeleton inside of the monster in silver sharpee marker. They only had 1 left (meaning 5 people must've paid $450/ea for a poster!)

Ran into some dudes from high school that i haven't seen in about 5-10 years (at least), sitting directly behind me in the last row of the floor (sec F i think??). What are the chances i'd be sitting/standing next to some dudes i knew?? Out of all of those people at the venue, i probably only knew a handful and most of them were randomly right next to me. Weird, huh?

Paid $100 for a signed poster. The monster looks pretty badass on this one (you can probably see one on eBay). Hmmm... I checked Tool's merch site and they had many other concert posters. I saw Tool at the Mile High Fest last year and missed out on a poster. Then last week i was on eBay fixing to buy one for $60 when my buddy told me the site was sellin em for $25. Score!

Something sure was smelling skunky towards the back of the floor... I thought it was funny that security was more concerned with cameras than pot. Is Houston a stoner friendly city??
OFFLINE |  
06IBMGTO
06-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Yeah San Antonio really blew my mind and I am very glad I went. I told all my buddies we better go to San Antonio because they arent going to come to Houston again for a while. Ive only seen Tool 4 times total including last nights performance.

First time on 9/11/06 Cynthia Woods but Maynard was sick, he gave it his all and it was still a great show. The band was spot on...

Then Toyota Center Nov 07, was ok but I wasnt all that impressed by the sound quality compared to Woodlands.

San Antonio 09 was just insane though and is at the top right next to last night performance. They were both very very good and high energy from the band and crowd.

I feel that people in Texas really show their appreciation when Tool is here and I think they reward us for it sometimes.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Yeah San Antonio really blew my mind and I am very glad I went. I told all my buddies we better go to San Antonio because they arent going to come to Houston again for a while. Ive only seen Tool 4 times total including last nights performance.

First time on 9/11/06 Cynthia Woods but Maynard was sick, he gave it his all and it was still a great show. The band was spot on...

Then Toyota Center Nov 07, was ok but I wasnt all that impressed by the sound quality compared to Woodlands.

San Antonio 09 was just insane though and is at the top right next to last night performance. They were both very very good and high energy from the band and crowd.

I feel that people in Texas really show their appreciation when Tool is here and I think they reward us for it sometimes.
OFFLINE |  
$pir4L's Avatar $pir4L
06-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah I've gotten my girl into TOOL in the 4 years we have been together and last night was her 5th show. Her B-day is 7.25 so last year was perfect for a birthday concert.

9.11.06 was her first show too, the band sounded great, but overall it was a horrible show. They really tried to pull together and the venue is much better than Toyota, but the hill was beyond muddy, the weather was shit, Maynard was so sick he barely sang at all, really only made it thru because it was 9.11 I believe. We were pissed because the time before that, 2002 in The Summit he was sick and walked off stage a few times, even went as far as cutting 'Reflection' completely out of the whole Disposition>Reflection>Triad set. I don't think he did that anywhere else ever.

We appreciate them when they hit Houston early, it has really worked out the last few times, What kills me about Toyota is the chairs on the floor thing. It makes the floor one of the worst places to be, that shouldnt be that way. One of the things that made San Antonio 09 the best was that it was open GA floor. Toyota 07 I was on the floor with the Nazi brigade up my cell phones asshole and I'll never do that shit again.

10.28.01 was my first, and still the best to me, although I didn't get to see an Ænima tour show like the majority of my friends, seeing Pushit live, Opiate live and Osseus Labyrint made for one helluva first show. Not to mention that 'Uncle Sidney' was along for the ride ;)

Hate that I missed Beaumont 11.15.02 (Last time Third Eye was played near Houston), Hate that I missed Dallas 5.8.06 (The Pot) but am I SO glad I didn't miss this one...

TOOL FUCKIN TOOL
Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Yeah I've gotten my girl into TOOL in the 4 years we have been together and last night was her 5th show. Her B-day is 7.25 so last year was perfect for a birthday concert.

9.11.06 was her first show too, the band sounded great, but overall it was a horrible show. They really tried to pull together and the venue is much better than Toyota, but the hill was beyond muddy, the weather was shit, Maynard was so sick he barely sang at all, really only made it thru because it was 9.11 I believe. We were pissed because the time before that, 2002 in The Summit he was sick and walked off stage a few times, even went as far as cutting 'Reflection' completely out of the whole Disposition>Reflection>Triad set. I don't think he did that anywhere else ever.

We appreciate them when they hit Houston early, it has really worked out the last few times, What kills me about Toyota is the chairs on the floor thing. It makes the floor one of the worst places to be, that shouldnt be that way. One of the things that made San Antonio 09 the best was that it was open GA floor. Toyota 07 I was on the floor with the Nazi brigade up my cell phones asshole and I'll never do that shit again.

10.28.01 was my first, and still the best to me, although I didn't get to see an Ænima tour show like the majority of my friends, seeing Pushit live, Opiate live and Osseus Labyrint made for one helluva first show. Not to mention that 'Uncle Sidney' was along for the ride ;)

Hate that I missed Beaumont 11.15.02 (Last time Third Eye was played near Houston), Hate that I missed Dallas 5.8.06 (The Pot) but am I SO glad I didn't miss this one...

TOOL FUCKIN TOOL
OFFLINE |  
reflection12
06-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Third eye
Jambi
ions
stinkfist
vicarious
eon blue apocalypse
the patient.
Intolerance
schism
46 and 2
lateralus
aenima

Wow what a fuckin crazy ass show last night!
MY 4th time seeing them and this was by far the best yet.A few 24oz Corona's and a couple joints made it even better.
Maynard was really into it last night compared to the past couple years.Especially to see him come to the front of the stage at the end.Justins just jamming out not giving a fuck! and Danny is just a fuckin god. I really couldnt see Adam to much from section 408.
I never thought I would ever get to hear "Third Eye" & "The Patient" those 2 made my night.
I loved the part in Lateralus when Danny striked the gong seemed like it was louder than past shows i dunno my fav part of the song.
Anyway again kick ass show cant wait for more!!

Oh yea Wovenhand didnt seem to bad,I havent got the chance to listen to them yet besides the show but thier drummer seemed really good. Not to metion FUCK YOU SECURITY!!! GET A LIFE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Third eye
Jambi
ions
stinkfist
vicarious
eon blue apocalypse
the patient.
Intolerance
schism
46 and 2
lateralus
aenima

Wow what a fuckin crazy ass show last night!
MY 4th time seeing them and this was by far the best yet.A few 24oz Corona's and a couple joints made it even better.
Maynard was really into it last night compared to the past couple years.Especially to see him come to the front of the stage at the end.Justins just jamming out not giving a fuck! and Danny is just a fuckin god. I really couldnt see Adam to much from section 408.
I never thought I would ever get to hear "Third Eye" & "The Patient" those 2 made my night.
I loved the part in Lateralus when Danny striked the gong seemed like it was louder than past shows i dunno my fav part of the song.
Anyway again kick ass show cant wait for more!!

Oh yea Wovenhand didnt seem to bad,I havent got the chance to listen to them yet besides the show but thier drummer seemed really good. Not to metion FUCK YOU SECURITY!!! GET A LIFE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
OFFLINE |  
AgentDMT
06-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Tool started at 9pm, played 110 minute set. And in regard to the gong strike.... awesome... I'm always amazed how he is able to quickly grab the mallet during that insane and oddly timed phrase, strike the gong without looking, drop it and regain the stick and continue the phrase flawlessly.

Oh an Wovenhand was not good. I prefer bands to have a guitar part that plays more than one note over and over again (I guess it could be just that song). Drummer has tight complex rhythms but the rest of the band is rather lacking. I understand the singer is dual-roled here. He needs to get better, and the songs need to have a little more creativity before I will think they are good.

Last edited by AgentDMT; 06-21-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Tool started at 9pm, played 110 minute set. And in regard to the gong strike.... awesome... I'm always amazed how he is able to quickly grab the mallet during that insane and oddly timed phrase, strike the gong without looking, drop it and regain the stick and continue the phrase flawlessly.

Oh an Wovenhand was not good. I prefer bands to have a guitar part that plays more than one note over and over again (I guess it could be just that song). Drummer has tight complex rhythms but the rest of the band is rather lacking. I understand the singer is dual-roled here. He needs to get better, and the songs need to have a little more creativity before I will think they are good.

Last edited by AgentDMT; 06-21-2010 at 09:52 PM..
OFFLINE |  
chunga
06-22-2010, 04:38 AM

Houston Free Press:

​"For the next two hours, nothing else matters," said Tool's Maynard James Keenan as his band launched into "Jambi" right after stirring the pot of the crowd with "Third Eye" from 1996's Aenima to open last night's nearly sold-out one-night stand at Toyota Center. It wasn't quite two hours, but even 30 minutes with Tool is enough to fry your brain's housing.

Now 20 years down the rabbit hole, Keenan and Tool have cultivated a shadowy presence in modern rock. They came to light at a time when bands weren't supposed to be esoteric and artful, and it's those two qualities that have inspired most everyone who embraced them to follow suit.

Tool doesn't beat you in the head with a message; they sneak in while you have checked out and rearrange your shit so when you return you get confused and have to reassess your head. The only bands that came before them that had that innate power were obviously Pink Floyd and possibly Nine Inch Nails.

Tool is a brand band in the best meaning of the word. Few bands these past 20 years have reached such an iconic level where their shows are cerebral events. Mastodon is getting there with each album, as is the Mars Volta. The soon-disappearing Isis also can claim that flag.

Tool on record is one thing, enigmatic as hell and aces headphone rock. Tool in a live setting will leave your mouth agape. Every member of the band is at the pinnacle of their craft, and the fact they all work together so symbiotically is a once in a generation miracle.

Watching them work from our vantage point in the crowd, we could ignore all the LED screens and lasers (though they were supremely bitchin') and watch Tool interact as a band and not just a group hiding behind lighting rigs and effects.

Live, Keenan feeds off drummer Danny Carey, while bassist Justin Chancellor and guitarist Adam Jones are free to stand in their own private laboratories to crank out every squawk of the band's sound. If you were even dead center first row on the floor, you couldn't have seen this. It didn't come off as workmanlike; it simply looks as if Tool is one simple organism pumping in time with its components.

Keenan perched up on a small riser dressed as a sadistic mailman, set up with a bottle of his own Merkin Vineyard-derived wine (naturally), wearing his trademark talk box. Drummer Carey came out clad in a Trevor Ariza uniform. The power forward was a member of the Los Angeles Lakers up until last season; Carey and Jones are mainstays courtside at home games of the recent NBA champions.

1996's Aenima
​During Aenima's "Stinkfist," Toyota Center coalesced in a way we haven't seen a Houston crowd do in quite some time. Band and audience were on beat with each othe, which was reassuring given our town's volatile attitudes when it comes to live concerts. No one had time to fight or drink for fear of missing a single second of the show.

With news of Keenan's other band, A Perfect Circle, possibly reviving touring and recording plans by the fall, and even though a new album is said to be in the works, this may be the last Tool tour for a year or so .

Overall it was a throwback show, no new music and leaning heavily on Aenima which is now nearly 16 years old, but ageless like most of the rest of Tool's catalog. Nothing sounds dated except for maybe 1992's Opiate EP, but that was merely a stepping stone.

It's a good thing, at least to Aftermath, when bands dig into their catalogs to highlight tracks that aren't radio singles or video hits. Take the Iron Maiden show a few weeks back, where they faked out the fairweathers with almost two hours of superfan gems.

If this tour is just an excuse to leave the studio or a chance to say goodbye for a bit, it nonetheless hit all the right spots for Tool fans, including the guy dead center who look like he was about to start crying tears of blood from being so giddy.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Houston Free Press:

​"For the next two hours, nothing else matters," said Tool's Maynard James Keenan as his band launched into "Jambi" right after stirring the pot of the crowd with "Third Eye" from 1996's Aenima to open last night's nearly sold-out one-night stand at Toyota Center. It wasn't quite two hours, but even 30 minutes with Tool is enough to fry your brain's housing.

Now 20 years down the rabbit hole, Keenan and Tool have cultivated a shadowy presence in modern rock. They came to light at a time when bands weren't supposed to be esoteric and artful, and it's those two qualities that have inspired most everyone who embraced them to follow suit.

Tool doesn't beat you in the head with a message; they sneak in while you have checked out and rearrange your shit so when you return you get confused and have to reassess your head. The only bands that came before them that had that innate power were obviously Pink Floyd and possibly Nine Inch Nails.

Tool is a brand band in the best meaning of the word. Few bands these past 20 years have reached such an iconic level where their shows are cerebral events. Mastodon is getting there with each album, as is the Mars Volta. The soon-disappearing Isis also can claim that flag.

Tool on record is one thing, enigmatic as hell and aces headphone rock. Tool in a live setting will leave your mouth agape. Every member of the band is at the pinnacle of their craft, and the fact they all work together so symbiotically is a once in a generation miracle.

Watching them work from our vantage point in the crowd, we could ignore all the LED screens and lasers (though they were supremely bitchin') and watch Tool interact as a band and not just a group hiding behind lighting rigs and effects.

Live, Keenan feeds off drummer Danny Carey, while bassist Justin Chancellor and guitarist Adam Jones are free to stand in their own private laboratories to crank out every squawk of the band's sound. If you were even dead center first row on the floor, you couldn't have seen this. It didn't come off as workmanlike; it simply looks as if Tool is one simple organism pumping in time with its components.

Keenan perched up on a small riser dressed as a sadistic mailman, set up with a bottle of his own Merkin Vineyard-derived wine (naturally), wearing his trademark talk box. Drummer Carey came out clad in a Trevor Ariza uniform. The power forward was a member of the Los Angeles Lakers up until last season; Carey and Jones are mainstays courtside at home games of the recent NBA champions.

1996's Aenima
​During Aenima's "Stinkfist," Toyota Center coalesced in a way we haven't seen a Houston crowd do in quite some time. Band and audience were on beat with each othe, which was reassuring given our town's volatile attitudes when it comes to live concerts. No one had time to fight or drink for fear of missing a single second of the show.

With news of Keenan's other band, A Perfect Circle, possibly reviving touring and recording plans by the fall, and even though a new album is said to be in the works, this may be the last Tool tour for a year or so .

Overall it was a throwback show, no new music and leaning heavily on Aenima which is now nearly 16 years old, but ageless like most of the rest of Tool's catalog. Nothing sounds dated except for maybe 1992's Opiate EP, but that was merely a stepping stone.

It's a good thing, at least to Aftermath, when bands dig into their catalogs to highlight tracks that aren't radio singles or video hits. Take the Iron Maiden show a few weeks back, where they faked out the fairweathers with almost two hours of superfan gems.

If this tour is just an excuse to leave the studio or a chance to say goodbye for a bit, it nonetheless hit all the right spots for Tool fans, including the guy dead center who look like he was about to start crying tears of blood from being so giddy.
OFFLINE |  
wesmantooth
06-22-2010, 05:46 AM

I had fourth row floor seats (Center Stage), and this was the best show I have ever been to. The only thing that sucked, was when Wovenhand was playing some asshole in the tenth row was yelling at the top of his lungs "YOU FUCKING SUCK, WE WANT TOOL" over and over again. Some people just dont have a clue how much balls it takes to play in front of an arena full of people. While Wovenhand may not be my cup of tea, I can appreciate them for giving it there all.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

I had fourth row floor seats (Center Stage), and this was the best show I have ever been to. The only thing that sucked, was when Wovenhand was playing some asshole in the tenth row was yelling at the top of his lungs "YOU FUCKING SUCK, WE WANT TOOL" over and over again. Some people just dont have a clue how much balls it takes to play in front of an arena full of people. While Wovenhand may not be my cup of tea, I can appreciate them for giving it there all.
OFFLINE |  
06IBMGTO
06-22-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmantooth View Post
I hate inconsiderate assholes like that....

No reason to boo the opening band off or act a fool just cause you cant wait the 30 mins it will take for Tool to get on stage. My sister saw Tool during the Lateralus tour in the Woodlands and she said everyone in the crowd booed the opening band off stage and because of that Tool didnt give them an encore.

Theres no band out there that is going to satisfy an arena full of Tool heads except Tool. The opening band knows that and they still gave it everything they had. I personally didnt care for the repetitive guitar but the drummer was pretty damn good. I just enjoyed it and awaited the main show with eagerness...
Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmantooth View Post

No reason to boo the opening band off or act a fool just cause you cant wait the 30 mins it will take for Tool to get on stage. My sister saw Tool during the Lateralus tour in the Woodlands and she said everyone in the crowd booed the opening band off stage and because of that Tool didnt give them an encore.

Theres no band out there that is going to satisfy an arena full of Tool heads except Tool. The opening band knows that and they still gave it everything they had. I personally didnt care for the repetitive guitar but the drummer was pretty damn good. I just enjoyed it and awaited the main show with eagerness...
OFFLINE |  
Paddy-G
06-22-2010, 08:19 PM

This was my first Tool show. I've been a fan since Undertow and just never got around to seeing them live. I was impressed by the multi-media aspect of the performance. I enjoyed that the band alows the music and artwork stand at the forefront. We were seated opposite the stage about 27 rows up - perfect for enjoying the video and light show. Everyone has covered the bases on how great the show was so I'm not going to re-hash it, other than to say Third Eye and Intolerance! Wow.
I have only one complaint - the sound was muddy. I suspect that the sound quality was probably a result of the arena acoustics. It will be interesting to see how the Red Rocks reviews pan out - if it is muddy there than the sound booth needs to dial it in.
Thanks guys for a great experience!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show. I've been a fan since Undertow and just never got around to seeing them live. I was impressed by the multi-media aspect of the performance. I enjoyed that the band alows the music and artwork stand at the forefront. We were seated opposite the stage about 27 rows up - perfect for enjoying the video and light show. Everyone has covered the bases on how great the show was so I'm not going to re-hash it, other than to say Third Eye and Intolerance! Wow.
I have only one complaint - the sound was muddy. I suspect that the sound quality was probably a result of the arena acoustics. It will be interesting to see how the Red Rocks reviews pan out - if it is muddy there than the sound booth needs to dial it in.
Thanks guys for a great experience!
OFFLINE |  
nembutals
06-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I hate that shit. People should realize they just run a good chance of fucking themselves and everyone else over by being pricks to the supporting acts too. Im stoked to see Dälek open for Tool and I hope my hometown gives them a warm reception when they take the stage. Wovenhand are a talented bunch too.

The only shitty thing about a Tool show is all the drunk meatheads who show up and act like total cunts.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #31
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

Yeah, I hate that shit. People should realize they just run a good chance of fucking themselves and everyone else over by being pricks to the supporting acts too. Im stoked to see Dälek open for Tool and I hope my hometown gives them a warm reception when they take the stage. Wovenhand are a talented bunch too.

The only shitty thing about a Tool show is all the drunk meatheads who show up and act like total cunts.
OFFLINE |  
Omega4
06-23-2010, 07:34 AM

Yes sir... I went to this show and I would have to say it was the best that I have seen. I posted it earlier, but I was in section 412, which is way at the top, and I smelled that shit too. Not trying to be in the loop, and just say I smelled it, but me and my friends started to smell it and were looking around at each other and then maynard said something too. He said it right in the middle of the song right? I didn't actually hear what he said, but I heard him say something and asked a friend what he said so...

About my seats.... I would have to say that being up that high and looking down on the lights and band was more like watching a show, whereas, when I saw them at the Toyota Center in 2007, I believe, the stage was more at eye level and I felt more apart of the show than just a spectator. But then again the fungus had me crying out fuck me... It's gotta be.... and this time I went sober so read into that what you will.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #32
Banned.

Bincount™: 1

Yes sir... I went to this show and I would have to say it was the best that I have seen. I posted it earlier, but I was in section 412, which is way at the top, and I smelled that shit too. Not trying to be in the loop, and just say I smelled it, but me and my friends started to smell it and were looking around at each other and then maynard said something too. He said it right in the middle of the song right? I didn't actually hear what he said, but I heard him say something and asked a friend what he said so...

About my seats.... I would have to say that being up that high and looking down on the lights and band was more like watching a show, whereas, when I saw them at the Toyota Center in 2007, I believe, the stage was more at eye level and I felt more apart of the show than just a spectator. But then again the fungus had me crying out fuck me... It's gotta be.... and this time I went sober so read into that what you will.
OFFLINE |  
SactoBo
06-25-2010, 03:30 PM

Can anyone tell me what the sound was like in the upper levels. I'm 4th row, right on the curve, 2nd level here in Sacramento. It won't be a "half-court" setup, so I'm curious. I know it'll be stellar no matter what, but I want it to be loud, too.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Can anyone tell me what the sound was like in the upper levels. I'm 4th row, right on the curve, 2nd level here in Sacramento. It won't be a "half-court" setup, so I'm curious. I know it'll be stellar no matter what, but I want it to be loud, too.
OFFLINE |  
ToolFanFromWayBack's Avatar ToolFanFromWayBack
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM

Finally processed the pictures I took. Enjoy!

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ool%20Houston/
Old 06-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Finally processed the pictures I took. Enjoy!

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ool%20Houston/
OFFLINE |  
dougan
06-26-2010, 10:11 AM

Great show. From what I could tell, this was my first Tool concert; the band sounded great.
Maynard seemed to tap into the audience once they hit Stinkfist.
DC was awesome-o! His solo in Lateralus was epic.
Finishing off with Ænema was as brilliant as was beginning with Third Eye.

Great show.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show. From what I could tell, this was my first Tool concert; the band sounded great.
Maynard seemed to tap into the audience once they hit Stinkfist.
DC was awesome-o! His solo in Lateralus was epic.
Finishing off with Ænema was as brilliant as was beginning with Third Eye.

Great show.
OFFLINE |  
Repugnant Creature's Avatar Repugnant Creature
07-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Yeah, i think i smelled some weed too. It smelled like some pretty good stuff, could have been the kush. Or maybe it was bubble berry, who knows?

Of course the show was great, it always is! One thing that sticks out though is this - hey dude at the board, turn MJK's channel up a little, MJK, get closer to the mic, hell i don't know, maybe they like it that way. ???

On another note, i sure am glad they don't let the S.G.'s have firearms. Really, is there any 'fan' that is gonna make a crap load of money or something because they have some low quality pic or vid of the band?

I think John Bonham's spirit lives through DC's arms and legs.

God made grapes
Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

Yeah, i think i smelled some weed too. It smelled like some pretty good stuff, could have been the kush. Or maybe it was bubble berry, who knows?

Of course the show was great, it always is! One thing that sticks out though is this - hey dude at the board, turn MJK's channel up a little, MJK, get closer to the mic, hell i don't know, maybe they like it that way. ???

On another note, i sure am glad they don't let the S.G.'s have firearms. Really, is there any 'fan' that is gonna make a crap load of money or something because they have some low quality pic or vid of the band?

I think John Bonham's spirit lives through DC's arms and legs.

God made grapes

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply