Re: finally figured it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Are you serious?
completely.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
dancingflame
12-07-2007, 12:35 PM

i like this thread and also the idea that "the pot" is indeed a pretty simple song (in the tool universe) sounding almost like an ordinary old blues-rock-song- only with a tight production on it- if page could he would probably sue him...i like zeppelin alot but the facts i came across reading this thread really makes me think: assholes!...so: its a good point, insaner!!! i like the idea...
Old 12-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

i like this thread and also the idea that "the pot" is indeed a pretty simple song (in the tool universe) sounding almost like an ordinary old blues-rock-song- only with a tight production on it- if page could he would probably sue him...i like zeppelin alot but the facts i came across reading this thread really makes me think: assholes!...so: its a good point, insaner!!! i like the idea...
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
12-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner View Post
completely.
Well just let us know when you're ready to come back to a little place we like to call common sense or aka ability to reason.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #43
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
completely.
Well just let us know when you're ready to come back to a little place we like to call common sense or aka ability to reason.
12-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflame View Post
the facts i came across reading this thread really makes me think: assholes!...so: its a good point, insaner!!! i like the idea...
We'll just both pretend that your name is dancing little flamer because you like fire.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #44
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflame View Post
the facts i came across reading this thread really makes me think: assholes!...so: its a good point, insaner!!! i like the idea...
We'll just both pretend that your name is dancing little flamer because you like fire.
12-07-2007, 08:47 PM

now l have a higher post count too
Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

now l have a higher post count too
dancingflame
12-08-2007, 08:03 AM

it's a song about hypocrites.

really?

*clap*
Old 12-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #46
Level 7 - Loquacious

it's a song about hypocrites.

really?

*clap*
12-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Completely wrong.

The bassline is more complex than anything paul ever played, and there's more to the guitar line than you think if this is your belief. Danny's up to the same level he's always been, and Maynard's vocal riffing is far from just simple.

Also, if you want a simple meaning, here's the simplest: it's a song about hypocrites.

I find your Jimmy Page connection to be tenuous and shaky at best, and I really doubt Tool gave a fuck about Jimmy Page when writing this song.
I think he meant the fact that it's to be taken a little more a face value than others, there's not as much as an underlying subliminal message to it than some others.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #47
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Completely wrong.

The bassline is more complex than anything paul ever played, and there's more to the guitar line than you think if this is your belief. Danny's up to the same level he's always been, and Maynard's vocal riffing is far from just simple.

Also, if you want a simple meaning, here's the simplest: it's a song about hypocrites.

I find your Jimmy Page connection to be tenuous and shaky at best, and I really doubt Tool gave a fuck about Jimmy Page when writing this song.
I think he meant the fact that it's to be taken a little more a face value than others, there's not as much as an underlying subliminal message to it than some others.
12-08-2007, 11:09 PM

that is what i meant. and for you all to say my explanation is completey wrong, when i have provided some concrete examples is bullshit. i may be wrong, but i do make a valid point. and you offer no counter to my hypothesis. it would also seem that you are in the minority in your opinion of my theory.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #48
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

that is what i meant. and for you all to say my explanation is completey wrong, when i have provided some concrete examples is bullshit. i may be wrong, but i do make a valid point. and you offer no counter to my hypothesis. it would also seem that you are in the minority in your opinion of my theory.
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-09-2007, 04:42 PM

haha so its just about hypocrites in general? maybe so, but maybe it was inspired by a particular hypocrite, thus the clues i have pointed out. you must not have read the entire thread because i have offered many concrete examples. but whatever, you think youre right, thats cool. im not gonna rehash what i said, its all here and the thread is only two pages long. show me what i have said that are just "odd suggestions."
Old 12-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #49
On Probation

haha so its just about hypocrites in general? maybe so, but maybe it was inspired by a particular hypocrite, thus the clues i have pointed out. you must not have read the entire thread because i have offered many concrete examples. but whatever, you think youre right, thats cool. im not gonna rehash what i said, its all here and the thread is only two pages long. show me what i have said that are just "odd suggestions."
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-09-2007, 04:45 PM

not to mention, i never said tool ripped off anyone. wtf are you talking about with the dream theater shit? are you trying to say zeppelin didnt rip off blind willie and other blues songs? your example was off base. im talking about tool writing a song about zeppelin ripping off bands, then getting pissed and saying other bands ripped them off. you dint even read my posts, you just wanna argue.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #50
On Probation

not to mention, i never said tool ripped off anyone. wtf are you talking about with the dream theater shit? are you trying to say zeppelin didnt rip off blind willie and other blues songs? your example was off base. im talking about tool writing a song about zeppelin ripping off bands, then getting pissed and saying other bands ripped them off. you dint even read my posts, you just wanna argue.
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-09-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
yeah because being gay is an abomination.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #51
On Probation

Quote:
yeah because being gay is an abomination.
dancingflame
12-10-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Completely wrong.

who`s gay?!?!

sorry, just listened to the album for the first time since a few months....I`d like to take back what I said about this song being "simple"....justin rulez throughout the whole album!!!
so what?!?!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:43 AM   #52
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Completely wrong.

who`s gay?!?!

sorry, just listened to the album for the first time since a few months....I`d like to take back what I said about this song being "simple"....justin rulez throughout the whole album!!!
so what?!?!
seemyshadowchanging
12-10-2007, 06:08 AM

I think its a very valid point.This guys topic makes sense and has some good connections to the zepplin topic,but we will never know for sure because maynard will say we are all off base entirely.I think there probably is alot of posts in these forums they are spot on with definitions of what songs are about,but the high and mighty maynard says things,"Ive read the posts and the people are way off",which tells me that even if we have figured out something we would never know unless MJK finally says well you got that one right which we know would never happen.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:08 AM   #53
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

I think its a very valid point.This guys topic makes sense and has some good connections to the zepplin topic,but we will never know for sure because maynard will say we are all off base entirely.I think there probably is alot of posts in these forums they are spot on with definitions of what songs are about,but the high and mighty maynard says things,"Ive read the posts and the people are way off",which tells me that even if we have figured out something we would never know unless MJK finally says well you got that one right which we know would never happen.
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-10-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
And my example, talking about kenna and dream theater, is to point out that just because two artists use a similar device does not mean that one is "ripping the other off".

I don't know where you think I said Tool ripped anybody off. lol. and here you are complaining I didn't read your posts.

Also, another tip: ANY WIKI IS NOT A RELIABLE SOURCE

youre just not very bright are you? i couldve linked any one of a hundred sources, it is not in contention that zeppelin ripped off blues artists, it is a known fact. the wiki article was simply the easiest, but you go ahead and look it up on your own. and i stand by what my interpretation is, i am done arguing with you because its like arguing with a little kid, you just throw up diversions and never argue the actual point. show me how the lyrics couldnt possibly mean what i have written, ar go away.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #54
On Probation

Quote:
And my example, talking about kenna and dream theater, is to point out that just because two artists use a similar device does not mean that one is "ripping the other off".

I don't know where you think I said Tool ripped anybody off. lol. and here you are complaining I didn't read your posts.

Also, another tip: ANY WIKI IS NOT A RELIABLE SOURCE

youre just not very bright are you? i couldve linked any one of a hundred sources, it is not in contention that zeppelin ripped off blues artists, it is a known fact. the wiki article was simply the easiest, but you go ahead and look it up on your own. and i stand by what my interpretation is, i am done arguing with you because its like arguing with a little kid, you just throw up diversions and never argue the actual point. show me how the lyrics couldnt possibly mean what i have written, ar go away.
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-10-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemyshadowchanging View Post

exactly.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #55
On Probation

Quote:

exactly.
12-10-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Well I'm quite sure he referring specifically to the dumbass Led Zepplin connection theory.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #56
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Well I'm quite sure he referring specifically to the dumbass Led Zepplin connection theory.
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I agree that there's validity to Zepplin ripping off other artists but, the fact that you're trying to connect The Pot to that is just fucking stupid.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #57
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I agree that there's validity to Zepplin ripping off other artists but, the fact that you're trying to connect The Pot to that is just fucking stupid.
12-10-2007, 10:06 PM

ok, you all are right. i am a dumbass and am "all riled up." i quit. you win.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #58
On Probation

ok, you all are right. i am a dumbass and am "all riled up." i quit. you win.
12-11-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
Coward
LOL...instigator
Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #59
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
Coward
LOL...instigator
12-11-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Basically. I never said that Zeppelin DIDN'T rip off other artists despite your continued insistence that I did.

I just find it hard to believe that Maynard, who has always written about shit that matters strongly to him, gives a fuck about Led Zeppelin being unoriginal.
no one said he cared, my point was about page attempting to sue other artists for ripping zeppelin off. yall really need to pay attention, and not argue just to argue.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #60
On Probation

Quote:
Basically. I never said that Zeppelin DIDN'T rip off other artists despite your continued insistence that I did.

I just find it hard to believe that Maynard, who has always written about shit that matters strongly to him, gives a fuck about Led Zeppelin being unoriginal.
no one said he cared, my point was about page attempting to sue other artists for ripping zeppelin off. yall really need to pay attention, and not argue just to argue.
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-11-2007, 01:21 PM

funny, and still not one attempt to even disseminate what i have said about the lyrics. how is my interpretation wrong exactly? and you call me a coward haha.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #61
On Probation

funny, and still not one attempt to even disseminate what i have said about the lyrics. how is my interpretation wrong exactly? and you call me a coward haha.
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-12-2007, 08:07 AM

oh, ok then.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #62
On Probation

oh, ok then.
12-12-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Bullshit, your point was trying to make a connection between the Led Zepplin situation and that The Pot was written in reference to it. Which is entirely wrong. Don't try to change your story now.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #63
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Bullshit, your point was trying to make a connection between the Led Zepplin situation and that The Pot was written in reference to it. Which is entirely wrong. Don't try to change your story now.
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
pwned
Old 12-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #64
Banned.

Bincount™: 958

Quote:
pwned
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeisgoood View Post
pwned
pwned might be the lamest thing the internet has ever spawned. and i aint changing a goddamn thing, look at the very first post of the thread, dipshit.

this innereulogy, besides having the lamest name in the history of bulletin boards, has a fucking pine cone for a brain and a water balloon for a tongue.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #65
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeisgoood View Post
pwned
pwned might be the lamest thing the internet has ever spawned. and i aint changing a goddamn thing, look at the very first post of the thread, dipshit.

this innereulogy, besides having the lamest name in the history of bulletin boards, has a fucking pine cone for a brain and a water balloon for a tongue.
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-12-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
when did i change it, out of curiosity? what you just described is exactly what i have been saying the whole time. if you cant read, then just give up.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #66
On Probation

Quote:
when did i change it, out of curiosity? what you just described is exactly what i have been saying the whole time. if you cant read, then just give up.
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-12-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:

My counter to your hypothesis is one I have already stated: it's NOT about Led Zep specifically, it's about hypocrites.

and i say it is specifically about led zeppelin being hypocrites, and used the examples of the lyrics.

muddy waters, lemon juice shit like that is pretty goddamned coincidental. at the very least he is definitely using blues references. i can think of no other glaring hypocrisy in the realm of rock ripping off blues than page and the hypocricy of him suing others for ripping him off. of course, im sure there are a ton more examples, and i cant really find anything that points to zeppelin specifically that cannot be explained away. zep didnt invent lemon juice as a metaphor. i at least acknowledge the fact i could be wrong, but no one countering me seems to posses that particular ability.

and i still saw no better explanation than my interp of the rob the grave cradle evidence shit.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #67
On Probation

Quote:

My counter to your hypothesis is one I have already stated: it's NOT about Led Zep specifically, it's about hypocrites.

and i say it is specifically about led zeppelin being hypocrites, and used the examples of the lyrics.

muddy waters, lemon juice shit like that is pretty goddamned coincidental. at the very least he is definitely using blues references. i can think of no other glaring hypocrisy in the realm of rock ripping off blues than page and the hypocricy of him suing others for ripping him off. of course, im sure there are a ton more examples, and i cant really find anything that points to zeppelin specifically that cannot be explained away. zep didnt invent lemon juice as a metaphor. i at least acknowledge the fact i could be wrong, but no one countering me seems to posses that particular ability.

and i still saw no better explanation than my interp of the rob the grave cradle evidence shit.
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I have a lame name? Is that the best your puny intellect can come up with? LOL Next you'll be crackin' yo' momma jokes at me.

P.S. Insaner is by far much cooler and more sophisticated than mine...HAHAaaa
Old 12-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #68
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I have a lame name? Is that the best your puny intellect can come up with? LOL Next you'll be crackin' yo' momma jokes at me.

P.S. Insaner is by far much cooler and more sophisticated than mine...HAHAaaa
12-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Right here dipshit:
"no one said he cared, my point was about page attempting to sue other artists for ripping zeppelin off. yall really need to pay attention, and not argue just to argue."

You're the only one here that doesn't seem to realize you're renegging on you previous comment with this statement. Get your head out your ass and have it looked at by a specialist.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #69
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Right here dipshit:
"no one said he cared, my point was about page attempting to sue other artists for ripping zeppelin off. yall really need to pay attention, and not argue just to argue."

You're the only one here that doesn't seem to realize you're renegging on you previous comment with this statement. Get your head out your ass and have it looked at by a specialist.
12-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Right here dipshit:

if you cant understand what i am saying, then perhaps i should try to say it better, but i havent reneged on anything. and i just restated it yet again. i havent changed, but maybe i am not eloquent enough to make it sensible. what you quoted above is what i have been saying the whole time, and i apologize if i didnt make that clear enough.

Last edited by insaner; 12-13-2007 at 12:59 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #70
On Probation

Quote:
Right here dipshit:

if you cant understand what i am saying, then perhaps i should try to say it better, but i havent reneged on anything. and i just restated it yet again. i havent changed, but maybe i am not eloquent enough to make it sensible. what you quoted above is what i have been saying the whole time, and i apologize if i didnt make that clear enough.

Last edited by insaner; 12-13-2007 at 12:59 PM..
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-13-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
if this is the post you mean, then what i am saying is he didnt care that zeppelin was unoriginal, which i dont even believe to be the case and i highly doubt he does either. but they definitely ripped off blues artists and didnt give them credit. i guess that could be considered unoriginal by the strict definition of the word. but that is besides the point, i am saying they are hypocrites for ripping people off then suing artists who supposedly ripped them off. which is the entirety of my point and the basis of my hypothesis. im not saying the song is an indictment of zeppelin for ripping off blues artists, but rather an indictment of them being hypocrites for in turn suing artists who they feeled ripped them off. perhaps this concept is just a little too subtle for you, or maybe i didnt state it clearly enough. i hope this has helped.

Last edited by insaner; 12-13-2007 at 01:00 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #71
On Probation

Quote:
if this is the post you mean, then what i am saying is he didnt care that zeppelin was unoriginal, which i dont even believe to be the case and i highly doubt he does either. but they definitely ripped off blues artists and didnt give them credit. i guess that could be considered unoriginal by the strict definition of the word. but that is besides the point, i am saying they are hypocrites for ripping people off then suing artists who supposedly ripped them off. which is the entirety of my point and the basis of my hypothesis. im not saying the song is an indictment of zeppelin for ripping off blues artists, but rather an indictment of them being hypocrites for in turn suing artists who they feeled ripped them off. perhaps this concept is just a little too subtle for you, or maybe i didnt state it clearly enough. i hope this has helped.

Last edited by insaner; 12-13-2007 at 01:00 PM..
insaner's Avatar insaner
12-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You're the only one here that doesn't seem to realize you're renegging on you previous comment with this statement..

then why are you the only one saying it? are you the official spokesperson for the others who are reading this thread? and its reneging.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #72
On Probation

Quote:
You're the only one here that doesn't seem to realize you're renegging on you previous comment with this statement..

then why are you the only one saying it? are you the official spokesperson for the others who are reading this thread? and its reneging.
12-13-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Big deal, so I bumped the g twice on accident.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #73
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Big deal, so I bumped the g twice on accident.
12-13-2007, 01:10 PM

you still havent offered any sort of revelation whatsoever as to your own interp of this song.

also, didnt muddy waters jump out to you like it did to me on the first listen? do you folks even know who muddy waters is?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #74
On Probation

you still havent offered any sort of revelation whatsoever as to your own interp of this song.

also, didnt muddy waters jump out to you like it did to me on the first listen? do you folks even know who muddy waters is?
12-13-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:

I will be doing so later if you're interested in my interpretation. Again, my understanding was that you were trying to say this song WAS in fact about the Led Zepplin situation and there there was a connection.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #75
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

I will be doing so later if you're interested in my interpretation. Again, my understanding was that you were trying to say this song WAS in fact about the Led Zepplin situation and there there was a connection.
12-13-2007, 01:32 PM

that understanding is correct, but i wasnt trying to say it was about zeppelin simply being rip off artists, but rather about them suing when it was done to them. the very definition of hypocrisy. and i am definitely interested even if i did just read that you think howerdel wrote the lyrics in APC. please disregard me going off on you about that. it was just so laughable.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #76
On Probation

that understanding is correct, but i wasnt trying to say it was about zeppelin simply being rip off artists, but rather about them suing when it was done to them. the very definition of hypocrisy. and i am definitely interested even if i did just read that you think howerdel wrote the lyrics in APC. please disregard me going off on you about that. it was just so laughable.
12-13-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Howerdel DID write the lyrics for APC, but it's not to say that they may not have been re-vamped once Maynard jumped on board. You DO know that APC was originally intended to have a female vocalist don't you?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #77
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Howerdel DID write the lyrics for APC, but it's not to say that they may not have been re-vamped once Maynard jumped on board. You DO know that APC was originally intended to have a female vocalist don't you?
12-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
i do realize that he envisioned having a singer who was female, but i also know that the MUSIC was written with the intention of them being a movie soundtrack with no lyrics. maynard wrote every single word of the lyrics, and since you love to call everyone an idiot, youre an idiot if you think otherwise.

again, this is laughable for someone who claims to know so much about maynard.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #78
On Probation

Quote:
i do realize that he envisioned having a singer who was female, but i also know that the MUSIC was written with the intention of them being a movie soundtrack with no lyrics. maynard wrote every single word of the lyrics, and since you love to call everyone an idiot, youre an idiot if you think otherwise.

12-13-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:

I've never once heard that from a single source...I'd like to see this so-called source you got this from.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #79
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

I've never once heard that from a single source...I'd like to see this so-called source you got this from.
12-13-2007, 08:58 PM

whatever man
Old 12-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #80
On Probation

whatever man

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply