Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
flipmojo's Avatar flipmojo
09-28-2006, 07:34 AM

I'M GOING ALL CAPS ON THIS ONE. :o)

I KNEW IT WAS "GANJA? PUH-LEASE!!!" I SAID THAT ALL ALONG. AND AS FAR AS THE REST OF THE LYRICS GO, THE ONLY THING I HAD WRONG WAS "COZENED INDIGO". BUT WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT?

AHHH YEAH! FLIPMOJO WORKED HIS MOJO ON THOSE LYRICS WAY BACK IN MAY.
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
Old 09-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #81
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Re: Official Release Lyrics.

I'M GOING ALL CAPS ON THIS ONE. :o)

I KNEW IT WAS "GANJA? PUH-LEASE!!!" I SAID THAT ALL ALONG. AND AS FAR AS THE REST OF THE LYRICS GO, THE ONLY THING I HAD WRONG WAS "COZENED INDIGO". BUT WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT?

AHHH YEAH! FLIPMOJO WORKED HIS MOJO ON THOSE LYRICS WAY BACK IN MAY.
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-28-2006, 07:37 AM

Ganja Please was the first guess along with Ganja Police.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:37 AM   #82
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Ganja Please was the first guess along with Ganja Police.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
09-29-2006, 01:23 PM

isnt it reefer?

oh, and i knew it was cozened all along... lol

it sounds so perfect and fits so well, wow...
Old 09-29-2006, 01:23 PM   #83
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

isnt it reefer?

oh, and i knew it was cozened all along... lol

Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-29-2006, 11:31 PM

Wow... especially because that speech of the word "cozened" doesn't even exist...

Isn't it reversing?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:31 PM   #84
Level 8 - Vociferous

Wow... especially because that speech of the word "cozened" doesn't even exist...

Isn't it reversing?
duncang's Avatar duncang
09-29-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
Thats probably because its what he actually sings.
Be A Human
Old 09-29-2006, 11:54 PM   #85
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
Thats probably because its what he actually sings.
Be A Human
09-30-2006, 08:04 AM

Terry, youre a deeeck.

smart, duncang.

im just saying that i enjoyed the whole cozened revelation. so much for sharing it with you f@#$s!
Old 09-30-2006, 08:04 AM   #86
Banned.

Terry, youre a deeeck.

smart, duncang.

im just saying that i enjoyed the whole cozened revelation. so much for sharing it with you f@#$s!
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-30-2006, 09:30 AM

Yes what duncang said was correct and what you said too, but you can't deny that your "OMG IT ALL FITZ" thing sounds a 'lil strange if it's actually spoken different, huh?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #87
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yes what duncang said was correct and what you said too, but you can't deny that your "OMG IT ALL FITZ" thing sounds a 'lil strange if it's actually spoken different, huh?
bmeason's Avatar bmeason
09-30-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny View Post
"New Age Philosophy

The color electric indigo is used to symbolically represent the sixth (Ajna) chakra, which is said to include the third eye."

and

"Ajna or the third eye is linked to the pineal gland."

Well then

"now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo. (musta) got lemon juice
up in your eye when you pissed all over my black kettle"

As I said, I thought the indigo would be a much cleverer reference than simply 'tears' (which doesn't work anyway). Cozened indigo perhaps implies, then, someone who is using a drug experience (yep, The Pot, but calling it 'The Pot' isn't very adventurous) to pretend they have a specific spiritual outlook on life, but they are really a hypocrit about it.

The tears are a metaphor, and he swings the metaphor back by saying the were brought on by lemon juice, which is a metaphor for bitterness. All speculation.
this i like. could it be just a reference to sadness? yes. but thank you for adding another sector to my thought process. also, nice to add "all speculation". save yourself the flame from people who think they know the actual thought process and energy behind it.

all of this is speculation.

personally, i think tool is beyond the "leak faulty shit" moment. slowly but surely we will get the lyrics. but as was before, things can change during recording, etc. the lyrics are spot on, and an awesome song. i have just added cozen to my vocabulary. :)

did my all lower caps make you think this is maynard esque quote? bah. puleeeeeze. off to the blunt.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #88
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny View Post
"New Age Philosophy

The color electric indigo is used to symbolically represent the sixth (Ajna) chakra, which is said to include the third eye."

and

"Ajna or the third eye is linked to the pineal gland."

Well then

"now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo. (musta) got lemon juice
up in your eye when you pissed all over my black kettle"

As I said, I thought the indigo would be a much cleverer reference than simply 'tears' (which doesn't work anyway). Cozened indigo perhaps implies, then, someone who is using a drug experience (yep, The Pot, but calling it 'The Pot' isn't very adventurous) to pretend they have a specific spiritual outlook on life, but they are really a hypocrit about it.

The tears are a metaphor, and he swings the metaphor back by saying the were brought on by lemon juice, which is a metaphor for bitterness. All speculation.
this i like. could it be just a reference to sadness? yes. but thank you for adding another sector to my thought process. also, nice to add "all speculation". save yourself the flame from people who think they know the actual thought process and energy behind it.

all of this is speculation.

personally, i think tool is beyond the "leak faulty shit" moment. slowly but surely we will get the lyrics. but as was before, things can change during recording, etc. the lyrics are spot on, and an awesome song. i have just added cozen to my vocabulary. :)

did my all lower caps make you think this is maynard esque quote? bah. puleeeeeze. off to the blunt.
stonedogg
10-02-2006, 07:11 AM

First, using "indigo" is a masterstroke. Who uses that word anymore? It's the red-headed stepchild of the seven major ROY G. BIV rainbow colors. And I love that it can have so many interpretations (indigo blue, indigo children, indigo chakras), which was likely why MJK chose it in the first place.

Second, using "cozened" is equally inspired. It's another seldom-used word, and pairing it with "indigo" just begs us all to parse its meaning ad nauseum, which is what we're all doing, right? I say mission accomplished.

Third, I'm not sure why the title is generating so much hate. Its double-meaning (which is not obvious until you listen to the song a few times) is the reason it was chosen. It gets you thinking about hypocrisy and marijuana and the possible connections between those words. I mean, what else could the song be called? "Kangaroo Court"? "Black Kettle"? I think it's a perfectly fine title.

Fourth, although not terribly musically adventurous, "The Pot" is a throwback to Undertow's tighter material, and it stands as their most assured and masterfully played song to date. It's not muddled or overly indulgent or interminably long. It changes pace at least a half-dozen times, and the lyrics (as we've all come to realize) are meaningful, debatable, and utterly engrossing. What else could you possibly want from a single song?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #89
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

First, using "indigo" is a masterstroke. Who uses that word anymore? It's the red-headed stepchild of the seven major ROY G. BIV rainbow colors. And I love that it can have so many interpretations (indigo blue, indigo children, indigo chakras), which was likely why MJK chose it in the first place.

Second, using "cozened" is equally inspired. It's another seldom-used word, and pairing it with "indigo" just begs us all to parse its meaning ad nauseum, which is what we're all doing, right? I say mission accomplished.

Third, I'm not sure why the title is generating so much hate. Its double-meaning (which is not obvious until you listen to the song a few times) is the reason it was chosen. It gets you thinking about hypocrisy and marijuana and the possible connections between those words. I mean, what else could the song be called? "Kangaroo Court"? "Black Kettle"? I think it's a perfectly fine title.

Fourth, although not terribly musically adventurous, "The Pot" is a throwback to Undertow's tighter material, and it stands as their most assured and masterfully played song to date. It's not muddled or overly indulgent or interminably long. It changes pace at least a half-dozen times, and the lyrics (as we've all come to realize) are meaningful, debatable, and utterly engrossing. What else could you possibly want from a single song?
10-02-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedogg

QFEmphasis. ANd for Truth.

Excellent summary, IMO.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #90
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedogg

QFEmphasis. ANd for Truth.

Excellent summary, IMO.
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
10-02-2006, 08:45 AM

i agree as well. great first post.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #91
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

i agree as well. great first post.
10-02-2006, 06:11 PM

yup im with the new guy
Old 10-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #92
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

yup im with the new guy
10-03-2006, 05:34 AM

sometimes, n00bs shine.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 AM   #93
Banned.

sometimes, n00bs shine.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM

For this comment I could punch all your teeth out of your mouth, iota.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #94
Level 8 - Vociferous

For this comment I could punch all your teeth out of your mouth, iota.
futant55's Avatar futant55
10-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21 View Post
No, in what the "official" lyrics say "refer, save your...".

The missing part is either "shed without a reason, shocked without a reason or trapped without a reason".
I hear "shaft without a reason" I think this fits with the song becasue whoever is in the kangaroo court totally got shafted.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #95
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21 View Post
No, in what the "official" lyrics say "refer, save your...".

The missing part is either "shed without a reason, shocked without a reason or trapped without a reason".
I hear "shaft without a reason" I think this fits with the song becasue whoever is in the kangaroo court totally got shafted.
10-03-2006, 01:45 PM

go ahead, bitch.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #96
Banned.

go ahead, bitch.
ktdude's Avatar ktdude
10-05-2006, 01:12 AM

aah I haven't been in this forum in a while, glad to see an overriding sense of love and togetherness is still present

cozened? really? nice, Maynard. He's gone all Shakespearian on us.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #97
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

aah I haven't been in this forum in a while, glad to see an overriding sense of love and togetherness is still present

cozened? really? nice, Maynard. He's gone all Shakespearian on us.
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
10-05-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeason View Post
i think tool is beyond the "leak faulty shit" moment.
it'd be an easy way to weed out the not-so-much-of-a tool-fan peeps (plenty of 'em are floating around, too). plus, if you listen deep, and "move between the sounds", there are a lot of differences between your "official" "words from mjk" bullshit and what's actually on the recording. does your new lyrics say "in explodes a flaming stealth banana that split the sky like one would hope"? if mine isn't correct, then at least we can alllllllll agree that it's A LOT CLOSER than the "official" lyrics. i think this is a very necessary ploy. also, if you can even follow along to "rosetta stoned" then you're very knowledgable already that maynard james keenan can pronounce things perfectly, at increased speeds, and at the end of a breath. production, right? "done in a studio". yeah, so then why the fuck are we having trouble decifering the rest of the album??? interesting...

"you'd better listen"

(^ says it all, me thinks)
Old 10-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #98
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeason View Post
i think tool is beyond the "leak faulty shit" moment.
it'd be an easy way to weed out the not-so-much-of-a tool-fan peeps (plenty of 'em are floating around, too). plus, if you listen deep, and "move between the sounds", there are a lot of differences between your "official" "words from mjk" bullshit and what's actually on the recording. does your new lyrics say "in explodes a flaming stealth banana that split the sky like one would hope"? if mine isn't correct, then at least we can alllllllll agree that it's A LOT CLOSER than the "official" lyrics. i think this is a very necessary ploy. also, if you can even follow along to "rosetta stoned" then you're very knowledgable already that maynard james keenan can pronounce things perfectly, at increased speeds, and at the end of a breath. production, right? "done in a studio". yeah, so then why the fuck are we having trouble decifering the rest of the album??? interesting...

"you'd better listen"

(^ says it all, me thinks)
10-09-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
If your talking to me, I am hardly illiterate.

You made an ass-sumption in that I wrote that. It is actually copied from:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cozened

So next time keep your two cents to yourself and post something constructive towards the collective understanding of this song
No, I know you copied that. I made the ass-umption that you added "To act deceitfully" at the end, because it conflicts with the definition. Anyone on the site can read the definition, but you decided that people might not understand it and added "To act deceitfully" at the end to clarify. The problem is that "cozen" does not mean "to act deceitfully," so your hey-look-this-is-what-the-word-means was wrong. If you can't speak English, maybe you shouldn't be discussing lyrics.
<ru5ty> wat
Old 10-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #99
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
If your talking to me, I am hardly illiterate.

You made an ass-sumption in that I wrote that. It is actually copied from:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cozened

So next time keep your two cents to yourself and post something constructive towards the collective understanding of this song
No, I know you copied that. I made the ass-umption that you added "To act deceitfully" at the end, because it conflicts with the definition. Anyone on the site can read the definition, but you decided that people might not understand it and added "To act deceitfully" at the end to clarify. The problem is that "cozen" does not mean "to act deceitfully," so your hey-look-this-is-what-the-word-means was wrong. If you can't speak English, maybe you shouldn't be discussing lyrics.
<ru5ty> wat
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
10-09-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
So that's a reason for insulting a person? I lost respect for you, sir.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #100
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
So that's a reason for insulting a person? I lost respect for you, sir.
jonboy's Avatar jonboy
10-09-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Did you follow the link? I did not add it. Why do you think I cant speak english? Just because you dont agree with my post? Sad.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #101
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129

Quote:
Did you follow the link? I did not add it. Why do you think I cant speak english? Just because you dont agree with my post? Sad.
one_reflection's Avatar one_reflection
10-15-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Youre a dickhead. Go to the link. Open your damn eyes and read the frigging thing properly. He did (non-ass assumption that you are actually a guy jonboy) NOT add that line. READ FFS.

/anger
Old 10-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #102
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 103

Quote:
Youre a dickhead. Go to the link. Open your damn eyes and read the frigging thing properly. He did (non-ass assumption that you are actually a guy jonboy) NOT add that line. READ FFS.

/anger
10-15-2006, 10:49 PM

Now.. must put my actual opinions in a non-angry post. Please dont flame if all of this has been said before (I know little bits have come up)...ive been reading through and didnt find anything specific elsewhere.

Mostly I think that this song is another criticism of religious messengers and possibly religion itself (the concepts of which are really conveyed to us by messengers in the end anyway). Anyone who has had a friend or any other person try to preach to them about the wonders of Christianity (my example) and how there is no possible way there could be any other explaination for life than Mr Almighty God Himself should see it (although i only really thought about it properly today). Im going through the lyrics in order. I will try not to get repetitive (I am only a n00b afterall...we want to keep the peace here =p)

These said messengers "wave their finger" around, so quick to judge. They are so "eyehole deep" in their beleif and they will outright defend it and say it is truth although all the 'evidence' for god is not clear at all (muddy water). These people do get up on their soapbox...about their 'solid' belief which is in fact like an intricately built, yet incredibly unstable, house of cards that can collapse at the slightest thing. Many of them are so quick to judge others' wrongdoings without stopping to realise that they have just as many faults themselves.

"you musta been high" - Sarcasm. Not high on drugs. High as in great, perfect, up there on a pedestal. "Yeah you really must be soo much better than everyone else".

The whole kangaroo court and jury thingo -- I personally have a major issue with the idea that if one has committed to a life of Christianity, when it comes to judgement day they will be saved and live eternal happiness up there in heaven regardless of what they have done in their life (and forgiveness sought if need be). Those who have chosen not to take this path shall live in eternal misery down there despite their chosen path in life. So we can have the Christian murderer who asked for forgiveness up there whilst the good non-christian heads downwards. As wiki defines the kangaroo court as "a fraudulent or unjust trial where the decision has essentially been made in advance"... i think this is the perfect example of such a case, where ones 'committments' predetermine their fate.

Im not going to go on about the Indigo stuff cos i dont really have my own theories on that one.

The last bit. "Ganja please..you musta been outta your mind". Interestingly (and possibly stupidly) I was unaware that Ganja was another term for marijuana (www.andaman.org/book/app-i/texti.htm). "Ganja? Pfft...how could all you people think the song was about pot??" Some mocking perhaps?

Sorry about the religion-ranting!
PS: I hear the lyric at 4.15 as "trapped without a reason". Who is trapped? The believers/messengers? What real reason do they have to be trapped in the beliefs that they are? Information from other messengers, etc, etc?

Last edited by one_reflection; 10-15-2006 at 10:58 PM..
Old 10-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #103
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 103

Now.. must put my actual opinions in a non-angry post. Please dont flame if all of this has been said before (I know little bits have come up)...ive been reading through and didnt find anything specific elsewhere.

Mostly I think that this song is another criticism of religious messengers and possibly religion itself (the concepts of which are really conveyed to us by messengers in the end anyway). Anyone who has had a friend or any other person try to preach to them about the wonders of Christianity (my example) and how there is no possible way there could be any other explaination for life than Mr Almighty God Himself should see it (although i only really thought about it properly today). Im going through the lyrics in order. I will try not to get repetitive (I am only a n00b afterall...we want to keep the peace here =p)

These said messengers "wave their finger" around, so quick to judge. They are so "eyehole deep" in their beleif and they will outright defend it and say it is truth although all the 'evidence' for god is not clear at all (muddy water). These people do get up on their soapbox...about their 'solid' belief which is in fact like an intricately built, yet incredibly unstable, house of cards that can collapse at the slightest thing. Many of them are so quick to judge others' wrongdoings without stopping to realise that they have just as many faults themselves.

"you musta been high" - Sarcasm. Not high on drugs. High as in great, perfect, up there on a pedestal. "Yeah you really must be soo much better than everyone else".

The whole kangaroo court and jury thingo -- I personally have a major issue with the idea that if one has committed to a life of Christianity, when it comes to judgement day they will be saved and live eternal happiness up there in heaven regardless of what they have done in their life (and forgiveness sought if need be). Those who have chosen not to take this path shall live in eternal misery down there despite their chosen path in life. So we can have the Christian murderer who asked for forgiveness up there whilst the good non-christian heads downwards. As wiki defines the kangaroo court as "a fraudulent or unjust trial where the decision has essentially been made in advance"... i think this is the perfect example of such a case, where ones 'committments' predetermine their fate.

Im not going to go on about the Indigo stuff cos i dont really have my own theories on that one.

The last bit. "Ganja please..you musta been outta your mind". Interestingly (and possibly stupidly) I was unaware that Ganja was another term for marijuana (www.andaman.org/book/app-i/texti.htm). "Ganja? Pfft...how could all you people think the song was about pot??" Some mocking perhaps?

Sorry about the religion-ranting!
PS: I hear the lyric at 4.15 as "trapped without a reason". Who is trapped? The believers/messengers? What real reason do they have to be trapped in the beliefs that they are? Information from other messengers, etc, etc?

Last edited by one_reflection; 10-15-2006 at 10:58 PM..
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
10-16-2006, 09:48 AM

very interesting. so, you're saying it's the ol' "is that CIA stash?!" to the religions? that's fuckin' great! it puts things into perspective, doesn't it? you'd rag on teenagers for smokin' up if they've said something stupid, or if they've symptoms of pot use... but is this bringing ALL OF RELIGION onto that level?! haha. it's about goddamn time!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #104
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

very interesting. so, you're saying it's the ol' "is that CIA stash?!" to the religions? that's fuckin' great! it puts things into perspective, doesn't it? you'd rag on teenagers for smokin' up if they've said something stupid, or if they've symptoms of pot use... but is this bringing ALL OF RELIGION onto that level?! haha. it's about goddamn time!
10-18-2006, 12:57 PM

hi everyone,

here's something interesting about "Cozened Indigo"!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blogdog/260217706/

This blog poster used as a title "shades of cozened color"...

If the lyrics "weeping shades of cozened Indigo" pertain to the use of the word in this way, then it seems to be another way to say "your crying made you blind"...

...and you must have been high to do something you knew you would regret later...

Well, just another way to interpret this lyric... Nebulous as ever.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #105
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

hi everyone,

here's something interesting about "Cozened Indigo"!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blogdog/260217706/

This blog poster used as a title "shades of cozened color"...

If the lyrics "weeping shades of cozened Indigo" pertain to the use of the word in this way, then it seems to be another way to say "your crying made you blind"...

...and you must have been high to do something you knew you would regret later...

Well, just another way to interpret this lyric... Nebulous as ever.
CrownOfNegativity's Avatar CrownOfNegativity
10-19-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
My kid acts like a snot-nosed weirdo at school, and he's going to be a total prima donna when he grows up because I'm a great parent who's raising an Indigo Child!
wtf? ahhaha
Old 10-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #106
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
My kid acts like a snot-nosed weirdo at school, and he's going to be a total prima donna when he grows up because I'm a great parent who's raising an Indigo Child!
wtf? ahhaha
vedrimir
11-05-2006, 12:58 PM

I dont know, this seems to be one of the hardest songs Maynard ever wrote. I dont understand it really... I expected official lyrics will clear up things to me but actually they didnt. And will they ever publish "official" lyrics that are EXACT replica of what is being said in the song? They missed a whole line in this one. That is carelessness and it goes on and on...

Why it says "cozened" indigo? What is "my black kettle", and why "pissing over" it? What "Kangaroo done" means (literally, not metaphorically), i thought it should say "dont" and not "done"... What kangaroo means anyway? Is there some "slang" meaning i dont know about or it refers to actual animal? "Kangaroo done"= "kangaroo cooked"?

Ganja means marijuana?

Personally, i still feel this is a social song with not much "extra" meaning to be discovered. What is exceptional is the technique, i notice elements of grotesque writing, imagery is really unusual and imo subtly humorous, expressions used are both weird and refreshing... But details just wont match and i only have a vague idea of the song's meaning, i cant make all the parts click and unite in coherent interpretation (which i can with most any other song by Tool)... Weird...
Old 11-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #107
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

I dont know, this seems to be one of the hardest songs Maynard ever wrote. I dont understand it really... I expected official lyrics will clear up things to me but actually they didnt. And will they ever publish "official" lyrics that are EXACT replica of what is being said in the song? They missed a whole line in this one. That is carelessness and it goes on and on...

Why it says "cozened" indigo? What is "my black kettle", and why "pissing over" it? What "Kangaroo done" means (literally, not metaphorically), i thought it should say "dont" and not "done"... What kangaroo means anyway? Is there some "slang" meaning i dont know about or it refers to actual animal? "Kangaroo done"= "kangaroo cooked"?

Ganja means marijuana?

Personally, i still feel this is a social song with not much "extra" meaning to be discovered. What is exceptional is the technique, i notice elements of grotesque writing, imagery is really unusual and imo subtly humorous, expressions used are both weird and refreshing... But details just wont match and i only have a vague idea of the song's meaning, i cant make all the parts click and unite in coherent interpretation (which i can with most any other song by Tool)... Weird...
something_Dark's Avatar something_Dark
11-18-2006, 04:56 AM

kangaroo huh? I kinda liked king guru better. so this song is political from a stoned point of veiw?
Old 11-18-2006, 04:56 AM   #108
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 130

kangaroo huh? I kinda liked king guru better. so this song is political from a stoned point of veiw?
duncang's Avatar duncang
12-11-2006, 12:28 PM

I mean, I still think sometimes what Maynard puts on the official lyrics are not what he actually sings, because double meanings are easier to put across that way. I still think he says "reaching out to embrace what heaven may come" in Lateralus.

I may be wrong, just putting it out there. I always thought that it was 'valiant fingers', not 'fatty fingers'.
Be A Human
Old 12-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #109
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

I mean, I still think sometimes what Maynard puts on the official lyrics are not what he actually sings, because double meanings are easier to put across that way. I still think he says "reaching out to embrace what heaven may come" in Lateralus.

I may be wrong, just putting it out there. I always thought that it was 'valiant fingers', not 'fatty fingers'.
Be A Human
timespacex's Avatar timespacex
06-23-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmen9c View Post
Cozen means to deceive...

Indigo is another word for the color BLUE

This line metaphorically refers to the government forcing a juror to tears for taking part in a kangaroo court to wrongfully convict someone... Therefore the juror is crying BLUE (Government) TEARS for taking part in setting someone up. The Goverment's DECEIT (Cozened) was exercised through the juror's actions.

The trial that serves as part of the inspiration for this song is that of Ed Rosenthal (http://www.green-aid.com/news.htm) thus the marijuana references. The song though delivers a message of "The POT" calling "The Kettle" BLACK succinctly becasue sighting all the facts of the case and how the government "played" this guy would take too long. The Pot is the government and all it’s resources (lawyers, jurors, etc.) & it is also marijuana which serves as the subject matter for the court battle. The Kettle is Ed and the rest of us who are at the mercy of the American “justice system” once in it's cross hairs.

Essentially the song is questioning the verdict in this case, the jurors for knowingly convicting an innocent defendant, calling the government out for doing what it did & sighting small references to all the other variables associated with this trial. The song is actually quite good and thought provoking, not unlike many titles in the TOOL library.
where did you come up with this? how did you know? b r a v o ! ! ! ! !
Old 06-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #110
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

This line metaphorically refers to the government forcing a juror to tears for taking part in a kangaroo court to wrongfully convict someone... Therefore the juror is crying BLUE (Government) TEARS for taking part in setting someone up. The Goverment's DECEIT (Cozened) was exercised through the juror's actions.

The trial that serves as part of the inspiration for this song is that of Ed Rosenthal (http://www.green-aid.com/news.htm) thus the marijuana references. The song though delivers a message of "The POT" calling "The Kettle" BLACK succinctly becasue sighting all the facts of the case and how the government "played" this guy would take too long. The Pot is the government and all it’s resources (lawyers, jurors, etc.) & it is also marijuana which serves as the subject matter for the court battle. The Kettle is Ed and the rest of us who are at the mercy of the American “justice system” once in it's cross hairs.

Essentially the song is questioning the verdict in this case, the jurors for knowingly convicting an innocent defendant, calling the government out for doing what it did & sighting small references to all the other variables associated with this trial. The song is actually quite good and thought provoking, not unlike many titles in the TOOL library.
where did you come up with this? how did you know? b r a v o ! ! ! ! !
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
06-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:

That's awesome....this totally seems to fit the bill
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #111
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:

That's awesome....this totally seems to fit the bill
07-05-2007, 11:32 AM

its obvious this entire song has double meaning. its obviously about hypocrisy, but there is the obvious meaning of the people waving their finger, but are so full of it, and the idea that people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. but i also believe its about the Ed Rosenthal case, the government convicting him of drugs via the use of a "kangaroo trial". if anyone should be convicted of drugs, its the government, they have and grow more than anyone. the line kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent, hes simply saying the jury should hang alongside him for convicting someone who was obviously being railroaded. the pot through rosetta stoned all wreak of bill hicks IMHO. the pot = social criticism (favorite pasttime of Hicks). lipan conjuring = recreational drug use(another pasttime ;p). lost keys = bad drug trip (more drug use) rosetta stoned = drug trip leading to alien abduction HELLO JUST LIKE HICKS. still IMHO

Last edited by The Holy Gift; 07-05-2007 at 11:44 AM..
Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #112
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

its obvious this entire song has double meaning. its obviously about hypocrisy, but there is the obvious meaning of the people waving their finger, but are so full of it, and the idea that people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. but i also believe its about the Ed Rosenthal case, the government convicting him of drugs via the use of a "kangaroo trial". if anyone should be convicted of drugs, its the government, they have and grow more than anyone. the line kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent, hes simply saying the jury should hang alongside him for convicting someone who was obviously being railroaded. the pot through rosetta stoned all wreak of bill hicks IMHO. the pot = social criticism (favorite pasttime of Hicks). lipan conjuring = recreational drug use(another pasttime ;p). lost keys = bad drug trip (more drug use) rosetta stoned = drug trip leading to alien abduction HELLO JUST LIKE HICKS. still IMHO

Last edited by The Holy Gift; 07-05-2007 at 11:44 AM..
The Holy Gift's Avatar The Holy Gift
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM

after listening to this song 209234l;asd;flj times, these are the lyrics i believe:

who are you to wave your finger
you must have been out your head
eye hole deep in muddy water
you practically raise the dead
rob the grave to snow the cradle
then burn the evidence down
soap box house of cards and glass so dont go tossin' your stones around

you must have been high
you must have been high
you must have been

foot in mouth and head up asshole
watcha talkin' bout?
difficult to dance round this one til u pull it out
boy, you must have been so high
you must have been so high

steal, borrow, re-vers-ing your shady inference
kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent
now your weeping shades of chosen indigo
got lemon juice up in your eye, eye
when u piss all over my black kettle
you must have been high, high

who are you to wave your finger, so full of it
eyeballs deep in muddy waters, fuckin' hypocrite
liar, lawyer, mirror show me wuts the difference
kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent
NOOOOOOW
your weeping shades of chosen indigo
got lemon juice up in your eye, high, eye
you must have been

so who are you to wave your finger?
how are you to wave your fatty finger at me?
you must have been out your mind

weeping shades of indigo
(shed, or trapped, idk, i heard shock)shock without a reason
weeping shades of indigo

liar, lawyer, mirror for you whats the difference?
kangaroo be stoned hes guilty as the government
Noooooow
got lemon lemon juice up in your eye, eye
you must have been high, high, high, high

eyeballs deep in bloody waters
eyeballs deep in muddy waters

ganja please
you must have been out yo mind

i took a lossless WMA file, dropped it in Adobe Audition, extracted center channel:
for the missing lyric, in audition, all cleaned up, very little music, just lyrics, its hard to decipher whether its shock or shuck, and since the song isnt about corn, i figured it was prolly shock. as for the "cozen" argument, and u can clearly hear that its a "ch" as in choke or chop or chosen. aslo at time marker 2:38 out of the right channel there is something said under the music, i was wondering if anyone else can decipher what it is.

Last edited by The Holy Gift; 07-05-2007 at 01:24 PM..
Old 07-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #113
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

after listening to this song 209234l;asd;flj times, these are the lyrics i believe:

who are you to wave your finger
you must have been out your head
eye hole deep in muddy water
you practically raise the dead
rob the grave to snow the cradle
then burn the evidence down
soap box house of cards and glass so dont go tossin' your stones around

you must have been high
you must have been high
you must have been

foot in mouth and head up asshole
watcha talkin' bout?
difficult to dance round this one til u pull it out
boy, you must have been so high
you must have been so high

steal, borrow, re-vers-ing your shady inference
kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent
now your weeping shades of chosen indigo
got lemon juice up in your eye, eye

who are you to wave your finger, so full of it
eyeballs deep in muddy waters, fuckin' hypocrite
liar, lawyer, mirror show me wuts the difference
kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent
NOOOOOOW
got lemon juice up in your eye, high, eye
you must have been

so who are you to wave your finger?
how are you to wave your fatty finger at me?
you must have been out your mind

weeping shades of indigo
(shed, or trapped, idk, i heard shock)shock without a reason
weeping shades of indigo

liar, lawyer, mirror for you whats the difference?
kangaroo be stoned hes guilty as the government
Noooooow
got lemon lemon juice up in your eye, eye
you must have been high, high, high, high

eyeballs deep in bloody waters
eyeballs deep in muddy waters

ganja please
you must have been out yo mind

i took a lossless WMA file, dropped it in Adobe Audition, extracted center channel:
for the missing lyric, in audition, all cleaned up, very little music, just lyrics, its hard to decipher whether its shock or shuck, and since the song isnt about corn, i figured it was prolly shock. as for the "cozen" argument, and u can clearly hear that its a "ch" as in choke or chop or chosen. aslo at time marker 2:38 out of the right channel there is something said under the music, i was wondering if anyone else can decipher what it is.

Last edited by The Holy Gift; 07-05-2007 at 01:24 PM..
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
07-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Um, yeah...it's a shame that the OFFICIAL lyrics were already released for this song quite some time ago. Maybe you should check them out.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #114
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Um, yeah...it's a shame that the OFFICIAL lyrics were already released for this song quite some time ago. Maybe you should check them out.
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM

i don't understand the symbolism/meaning of "kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent"
Please i'd like to understand it more but this line has struck me...
Thanks alot
And does anyone know when/if Tool are returning in November in NZ???????
Old 07-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #115
Level 2 - Poster

i don't understand the symbolism/meaning of "kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent"
Please i'd like to understand it more but this line has struck me...
Thanks alot
And does anyone know when/if Tool are returning in November in NZ???????
miketh74's Avatar miketh74
08-04-2007, 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=The Holy Gift;2040078]after listening to this song 209234l;asd;flj times, these are the lyrics i believe:

for the missing lyric, in audition, all cleaned up, very little music, just lyrics, its hard to decipher whether its shock or shuck, and since the song isnt about corn, i figured it was prolly shock. as for the "cozen" argument, and u can clearly hear that its a "ch" as in choke or chop or chosen. aslo at time marker 2:38 out of the right channel there is something said under the music, i was wondering if anyone else can decipher what it is.[/QUOTE

FOR F**K SAKE....quit posting the lyrics to the entire song!!! Make your point and pick the parts that you conflict with.

I think this song is simply pointing out the hypocracies in all aspects of life, especially in the judicial system. And "The Pot" probably refers to America's "melting pot" and how we piss all over it with these hypocracies (lawsuits, retarded and off balance as they are). Of course, I may be way off base.....feel free to bash me if you conclude otherwise.

P.S. Not all songs by Tool have to be metaphorically loaded to be awesome. The music of The Pot is nothing short of friggin amazing. Right In Two is pretty straight forward, but it's a musical masterpiece. Not too many Tool songs aren't.

Wherever you go........there you are.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #116
caveman

Bincount™: 193

[QUOTE=The Holy Gift;2040078]after listening to this song 209234l;asd;flj times, these are the lyrics i believe:

for the missing lyric, in audition, all cleaned up, very little music, just lyrics, its hard to decipher whether its shock or shuck, and since the song isnt about corn, i figured it was prolly shock. as for the "cozen" argument, and u can clearly hear that its a "ch" as in choke or chop or chosen. aslo at time marker 2:38 out of the right channel there is something said under the music, i was wondering if anyone else can decipher what it is.[/QUOTE

FOR F**K SAKE....quit posting the lyrics to the entire song!!! Make your point and pick the parts that you conflict with.

I think this song is simply pointing out the hypocracies in all aspects of life, especially in the judicial system. And "The Pot" probably refers to America's "melting pot" and how we piss all over it with these hypocracies (lawsuits, retarded and off balance as they are). Of course, I may be way off base.....feel free to bash me if you conclude otherwise.

P.S. Not all songs by Tool have to be metaphorically loaded to be awesome. The music of The Pot is nothing short of friggin amazing. Right In Two is pretty straight forward, but it's a musical masterpiece. Not too many Tool songs aren't.

Wherever you go........there you are.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply