Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
jonboy's Avatar jonboy
09-24-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
Are you retarded? First of all, that's not what the definition located mere inches above where you're typing says. Additionally, is Maynard saying that you acted the indigo deceitfully? Because that doesn't make any sense at all. Thanks for your (incorrectly) reworded synopsis of the definition of "cozened," but maybe next time you should omit your two cents from the post.

Of course, I think most of us knew what the word meant to begin with. Sorry to flame so hard, but it's early in the morning and I am getting fucking sick of reading posts by complete fucking illiterates.
If your talking to me, I am hardly illiterate.

You made an ass-sumption in that I wrote that. It is actually copied from:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cozened

So next time keep your two cents to yourself and post something constructive towards the collective understanding of this song

Last edited by jonboy; 09-24-2006 at 07:10 PM..
Old 09-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #41
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129
Re: Official Release Lyrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
Are you retarded? First of all, that's not what the definition located mere inches above where you're typing says. Additionally, is Maynard saying that you acted the indigo deceitfully? Because that doesn't make any sense at all. Thanks for your (incorrectly) reworded synopsis of the definition of "cozened," but maybe next time you should omit your two cents from the post.

Of course, I think most of us knew what the word meant to begin with. Sorry to flame so hard, but it's early in the morning and I am getting fucking sick of reading posts by complete fucking illiterates.
If your talking to me, I am hardly illiterate.

You made an ass-sumption in that I wrote that. It is actually copied from:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cozened

So next time keep your two cents to yourself and post something constructive towards the collective understanding of this song

Last edited by jonboy; 09-24-2006 at 07:10 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
09-24-2006, 07:57 PM

happens a lot. if you want accuracy, please be unwilling to (i.e. "don't") check out their "official" lyrics at toolband.com. most of the difficult-to-decipher words are now out, however. i don't think many people even considered "cozened" - and i'm so glad it isn't "chosen" ('cause that threw me into a huge hole concerning my many/connected theories concerning this band and their audio/visuals.)
Old 09-24-2006, 07:57 PM   #42
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

happens a lot. if you want accuracy, please be unwilling to (i.e. "don't") check out their "official" lyrics at toolband.com. most of the difficult-to-decipher words are now out, however. i don't think many people even considered "cozened" - and i'm so glad it isn't "chosen" ('cause that threw me into a huge hole concerning my many/connected theories concerning this band and their audio/visuals.)
09-24-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Maynard talks stuff different in songs, but he did it never like that. This sounds more like the person that wrote those lyrics wanted to do something individual to make people agree (that person also wrote everything in small capitals and wrote stuff that aren't in the lyrics to make it look like a real Maynard lyric).
you lost me man, sorry.

anyway, has anyone considered that it might be a misuse (reuse?) of the word coze? like eat --> eaten, coze --> cozen...

weeping shades of cozened indigo

weeping shades, coze, and indigo
Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 PM   #43
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Maynard talks stuff different in songs, but he did it never like that. This sounds more like the person that wrote those lyrics wanted to do something individual to make people agree (that person also wrote everything in small capitals and wrote stuff that aren't in the lyrics to make it look like a real Maynard lyric).
you lost me man, sorry.

anyway, has anyone considered that it might be a misuse (reuse?) of the word coze? like eat --> eaten, coze --> cozen...

09-24-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godin View Post
These lyrics are suspect. I can't ignore the fact that I'm about as sure as you can be about MJK singing "Noooooow you're weeping shades of cozened indigo, got lemon juice in your HIGH eye", but yet "HIGH eye" is not what's in the "official" lyrics.

Mysteriously, there is also no mention of what is said in the middle of the song where things calm down for a moment... I've suggested before that it was something like "Weeping/reaping shades of indigo... chakra laraesa (pronunciation of some mystery word relating to "chakra")"

It may be the case that MJK released these... but it seems he takes liberties at times to release only partial lyrics to his songs. I think he likes to keep a bit of mystery to his lyrics. There has certainly been instances in the past where he does not include in the official lyrics the things that he whispers in a low key manner during songs.
I think it sounds like he's singing: Weeping shades of indigo, Trapped within/without a reason, Weeping shades of indigo.
But I don't know...I guess it doesn't make any sense. But do to the fact that english is not my native tongue, I figured that maybe it could be correct. Like a figure of speech, or something.

Peace
Old 09-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #44
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godin View Post
These lyrics are suspect. I can't ignore the fact that I'm about as sure as you can be about MJK singing "Noooooow you're weeping shades of cozened indigo, got lemon juice in your HIGH eye", but yet "HIGH eye" is not what's in the "official" lyrics.

Mysteriously, there is also no mention of what is said in the middle of the song where things calm down for a moment... I've suggested before that it was something like "Weeping/reaping shades of indigo... chakra laraesa (pronunciation of some mystery word relating to "chakra")"

It may be the case that MJK released these... but it seems he takes liberties at times to release only partial lyrics to his songs. I think he likes to keep a bit of mystery to his lyrics. There has certainly been instances in the past where he does not include in the official lyrics the things that he whispers in a low key manner during songs.
I think it sounds like he's singing: Weeping shades of indigo, Trapped within/without a reason, Weeping shades of indigo.
But I don't know...I guess it doesn't make any sense. But do to the fact that english is not my native tongue, I figured that maybe it could be correct. Like a figure of speech, or something.

Peace
Useful)(Idiot's Avatar Useful)(Idiot
09-25-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346 View Post
kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent.
i always thought it was hung the JUROR...

myspace -
http://www.myspace.com/thereisn0sp00n
Old 09-25-2006, 04:00 AM   #45
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346 View Post
kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent.
i always thought it was hung the JUROR...

myspace -
http://www.myspace.com/thereisn0sp00n
Save me if you will
09-25-2006, 06:15 AM

these are real. i'm a member of TA.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:15 AM   #46
Banned.

Bincount™: 4

Thirdeye11
09-25-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save me if you will View Post
Ummm yes thank you. Since you are a member, we now know these are real.

Red alert people, if you are a member of TA, you know when lyrics are real, and moreover, when they are correct.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:39 AM   #47
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save me if you will View Post
Ummm yes thank you. Since you are a member, we now know these are real.

Red alert people, if you are a member of TA, you know when lyrics are real, and moreover, when they are correct.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
you lost me man, sorry.
Great, how seriously you take this.

Quote:
other than the fact that it's missing one line, they seem real enough to me. Blair posted this on toolband's main site, it's a "TA only" thing. i'll see if i can get one of my friends (TA member) to take a pic of it later.
What do you mean? Where did Blair post anything?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 AM   #48
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Quote:
you lost me man, sorry.
Great, how seriously you take this.

Quote:
other than the fact that it's missing one line, they seem real enough to me. Blair posted this on toolband's main site, it's a "TA only" thing. i'll see if i can get one of my friends (TA member) to take a pic of it later.
What do you mean? Where did Blair post anything?
09-25-2006, 09:26 AM

i'd rather a TA member say, not only that "cozened fits" or "this is correct", but "here's why". the day i see ONE of 'em come here and tell me something of use, i'll throw down whatever to become a member (you get a t-shirt, too, right? heh).

i challange a TA memeber to lay some fuckin' insight already.

ready? GO!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #49
Level 10 - Vehement

i'd rather a TA member say, not only that "cozened fits" or "this is correct", but "here's why". the day i see ONE of 'em come here and tell me something of use, i'll throw down whatever to become a member (you get a t-shirt, too, right? heh).

i challange a TA memeber to lay some fuckin' insight already.

ready? GO!!!
09-25-2006, 09:28 AM

Uhm, what did you want to say with that?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #50
Level 8 - Vociferous

Uhm, what did you want to say with that?
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 06:27 AM

Can anyone please post a picture?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:27 AM   #51
Level 8 - Vociferous

Can anyone please post a picture?
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 07:12 AM

"The Pot" is still a shit name for a song.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:12 AM   #52
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

"The Pot" is still a shit name for a song.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 08:57 AM

No, simply no.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #53
Level 8 - Vociferous

No, simply no.
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
you lost me man, sorry.

Cozen means to deceive...

Indigo is another word for the color BLUE

This line metaphorically refers to the government forcing a juror to tears for taking part in a kangaroo court to wrongfully convict someone... Therefore the juror is crying BLUE (Government) TEARS for taking part in setting someone up. The Goverment's DECEIT (Cozened) was exercised through the juror's actions.

The trial that serves as part of the inspiration for this song is that of Ed Rosenthal (http://www.green-aid.com/news.htm) thus the marijuana references. The song though delivers a message of "The POT" calling "The Kettle" BLACK succinctly becasue sighting all the facts of the case and how the government "played" this guy would take too long. The Pot is the government and all it’s resources (lawyers, jurors, etc.) & it is also marijuana which serves as the subject matter for the court battle. The Kettle is Ed and the rest of us who are at the mercy of the American “justice system” once in it's cross hairs.

Essentially the song is questioning the verdict in this case, the jurors for knowingly convicting an innocent defendant, calling the government out for doing what it did & sighting small references to all the other variables associated with this trial. The song is actually quite good and thought provoking, not unlike many titles in the TOOL library.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #54
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
you lost me man, sorry.

Cozen means to deceive...

Indigo is another word for the color BLUE

This line metaphorically refers to the government forcing a juror to tears for taking part in a kangaroo court to wrongfully convict someone... Therefore the juror is crying BLUE (Government) TEARS for taking part in setting someone up. The Goverment's DECEIT (Cozened) was exercised through the juror's actions.

The trial that serves as part of the inspiration for this song is that of Ed Rosenthal (http://www.green-aid.com/news.htm) thus the marijuana references. The song though delivers a message of "The POT" calling "The Kettle" BLACK succinctly becasue sighting all the facts of the case and how the government "played" this guy would take too long. The Pot is the government and all it’s resources (lawyers, jurors, etc.) & it is also marijuana which serves as the subject matter for the court battle. The Kettle is Ed and the rest of us who are at the mercy of the American “justice system” once in it's cross hairs.

Essentially the song is questioning the verdict in this case, the jurors for knowingly convicting an innocent defendant, calling the government out for doing what it did & sighting small references to all the other variables associated with this trial. The song is actually quite good and thought provoking, not unlike many titles in the TOOL library.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 10:12 AM

Indigo is purple, surely?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #55
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:14 AM

That's what I thought this song is about. "Trapped without a reason"
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

That's what I thought this song is about. "Trapped without a reason"
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny View Post

in·di·go [ índi g ]

From this link:
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861620926

noun (plural in·di·gos or in·di·goes)

Definition:

1. deep purplish blue color: a deep purplish blue color that lies between blue and violet on the visible spectrum

2. blue dye: a blue dye. Source: formerly from plants, but now usually made synthetically.

3. plant yielding indigo dye: a tropical plant of the pea family with fronds of pointed leaves and flowers, a source of indigo dye. Flowers: red or purple, in spikes. Genus Indigofera.

its both I guess... Still a good, thought provoking song. Hardly a shit name...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #57
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

in·di·go [ índi g ]

From this link:
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861620926

noun (plural in·di·gos or in·di·goes)

Definition:

1. deep purplish blue color: a deep purplish blue color that lies between blue and violet on the visible spectrum

2. blue dye: a blue dye. Source: formerly from plants, but now usually made synthetically.

3. plant yielding indigo dye: a tropical plant of the pea family with fronds of pointed leaves and flowers, a source of indigo dye. Flowers: red or purple, in spikes. Genus Indigofera.

its both I guess... Still a good, thought provoking song. Hardly a shit name...
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
It's a shade of blue.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #58
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
It's a shade of blue.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 10:18 AM

Well, it's not both, it's neither blue nor violet. Undermining entirely your point about it referring to tears.

(Edit: yes Terry, a shade of blue very close to purple, and nothing like tears.)

And yes, 'The Pot' has no spark of ingenuity or intrigue about it. Or, in other words, shit title.

Last edited by Jimmeny; 09-26-2006 at 10:31 AM..
Old 09-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #59
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Well, it's not both, it's neither blue nor violet. Undermining entirely your point about it referring to tears.

(Edit: yes Terry, a shade of blue very close to purple, and nothing like tears.)

And yes, 'The Pot' has no spark of ingenuity or intrigue about it. Or, in other words, shit title.

Last edited by Jimmeny; 09-26-2006 at 10:31 AM..
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:19 AM

GOD DAMN EVERYTIME I TRY TO DESCRIBE IT I FAIL AT ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

All I can say is that I think the title is excellent.

By the way, did anyone think about this? :

"oh and by the way isn't the "musta got lemon juice in your eye" part a contradiction to the weepin' shades interpretation? People said it is weepin' shades of indigo because of tears and they got tears from the lemon juice in the eye part, but if it's you MUSTA got lemon juice in your eye when you did this and that, then it's not the same as the weepin' shades thing"
Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #60
Level 8 - Vociferous

"oh and by the way isn't the "musta got lemon juice in your eye" part a contradiction to the weepin' shades interpretation? People said it is weepin' shades of indigo because of tears and they got tears from the lemon juice in the eye part, but if it's you MUSTA got lemon juice in your eye when you did this and that, then it's not the same as the weepin' shades thing"
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:26 AM

in case anyone cares... songwriting is not "perfect". Artists are allowed certain freedoms when it comes to metaphors since they are the creators of the art... As in many cases with lyrics it's left up to the listeners interpretation. The title works for me, TOOL and the many of us who are apparently interested enough to keep posting about the song.

Did anyone read the info on that trial? What a CROCK! And we wonder why we're pissed at our "leaders" for frivilous wastes of time.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:26 AM   #61
Level 3 - Talker

in case anyone cares... songwriting is not "perfect". Artists are allowed certain freedoms when it comes to metaphors since they are the creators of the art... As in many cases with lyrics it's left up to the listeners interpretation. The title works for me, TOOL and the many of us who are apparently interested enough to keep posting about the song.

Did anyone read the info on that trial? What a CROCK! And we wonder why we're pissed at our "leaders" for frivilous wastes of time.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:28 AM

What has the title to do with the indigo thing?

What makes it brilliant, it is the name of the hypocrite, the pot (who's calling the kettle black). It's like "Judith". Just "The Pot". And at the same time it is a short form of the sentence.

Last edited by Terry21; 09-26-2006 at 10:31 AM..
Old 09-26-2006, 10:28 AM   #62
Level 8 - Vociferous

What makes it brilliant, it is the name of the hypocrite, the pot (who's calling the kettle black). It's like "Judith". Just "The Pot". And at the same time it is a short form of the sentence.

Last edited by Terry21; 09-26-2006 at 10:31 AM..
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:30 AM

BTW... I saw them last night in Cleveland, Ohio and they were phenominal. First time i've seen them and I was impressed by the bands power and stage presence. Their music is very powerful and maynard's presence on stage with his rythmic stances and no nonsense delivery of the songs is what it supposed to be like when you see a great band.

TOOL ROCKS!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #63
Level 3 - Talker

BTW... I saw them last night in Cleveland, Ohio and they were phenominal. First time i've seen them and I was impressed by the bands power and stage presence. Their music is very powerful and maynard's presence on stage with his rythmic stances and no nonsense delivery of the songs is what it supposed to be like when you see a great band.

TOOL ROCKS!
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21 View Post

What makes it brilliant it is the name of the hypocrite, the pot (who's calling the kettle black). It's like "Judith". Just "The Pot" and at the same time it is a short form of the sentence.
What was he supposed to say? Now youre weeping tears of cozened... blue? Going to the trouble to dig the word "cozened" out only to follow it up with blue wouldve been disappointing. Indigo fits much better and it is "blue-ish"... therfore it fits my interpretation.

The title comments are in reference to other posts calling the title "shit". I think it's pretty witty.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #64
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

What makes it brilliant it is the name of the hypocrite, the pot (who's calling the kettle black). It's like "Judith". Just "The Pot" and at the same time it is a short form of the sentence.
What was he supposed to say? Now youre weeping tears of cozened... blue? Going to the trouble to dig the word "cozened" out only to follow it up with blue wouldve been disappointing. Indigo fits much better and it is "blue-ish"... therfore it fits my interpretation.

The title comments are in reference to other posts calling the title "shit". I think it's pretty witty.
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
09-26-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I don't understand your problem with "musta". It makes perfect sense to me. He is weeping shades of bullshit blue. He must have got lemon juice in his eye to make him cry (forced tears).
Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #65
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:

I don't understand your problem with "musta". It makes perfect sense to me. He is weeping shades of bullshit blue. He must have got lemon juice in his eye to make him cry (forced tears).
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 10:40 AM

The indigo has nothing to do with the title, they are two seperate grievances I have: one, that indigo has no connection to tears, and two, 'The Pot' is just, rubbish. It's like sculpting the Venus Di Milo to then go and call it "Fred". HE'S ALLOWED TO CALL IT FRED OMG BECAUSE HE MADE IT. Sure, he made it, then gave it a shit title.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:40 AM   #66
Level 9 - Obstreperous

The indigo has nothing to do with the title, they are two seperate grievances I have: one, that indigo has no connection to tears, and two, 'The Pot' is just, rubbish. It's like sculpting the Venus Di Milo to then go and call it "Fred". HE'S ALLOWED TO CALL IT FRED OMG BECAUSE HE MADE IT. Sure, he made it, then gave it a shit title.
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Correct... Indigo has nothing to do with title.

What would you have called it given what it appears to be about?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #67
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Correct... Indigo has nothing to do with title.

What would you have called it given what it appears to be about?
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
09-26-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Indigo. Blue. Sad. Tears.

Cozened. Bullshit.

Cozened indigo. Bullshit sadness. Crocodile tears.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #68
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:

Cozened. Bullshit.

Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:45 AM

Jimmeny, the song is about hipocrasy and people that are waving their fingers if they're guilty too. Pots that are saying that the kettle is black, even though they're black themselves. It's a story about the hypocrite.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #69
Level 8 - Vociferous

Jimmeny, the song is about hipocrasy and people that are waving their fingers if they're guilty too. Pots that are saying that the kettle is black, even though they're black themselves. It's a story about the hypocrite.
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises View Post

Cozened. Bullshit.

I'm with ya. This appears to be a calling out of the jurors and others involved with the hypocrisy o the trial as some of the jurors after the conviction were moved to tears but how they felt didn’t stop them from convicting the guy. Of course, they were probably coerced into the verdict to begin with by having been deceived themselves. I may have poorly explained that aspect of the lyrics earlier.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #70
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises View Post

Cozened. Bullshit.

I'm with ya. This appears to be a calling out of the jurors and others involved with the hypocrisy o the trial as some of the jurors after the conviction were moved to tears but how they felt didn’t stop them from convicting the guy. Of course, they were probably coerced into the verdict to begin with by having been deceived themselves. I may have poorly explained that aspect of the lyrics earlier.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:49 AM

I think the kangaroo court think might be all just metaphors.

And I'm also still not sure if these are the right lyrics. I'm hoping that Blair will soon clear this up, but the kiddo doesn't write anything about it.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #71
Level 8 - Vociferous

And I'm also still not sure if these are the right lyrics. I'm hoping that Blair will soon clear this up, but the kiddo doesn't write anything about it.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 10:50 AM

Terry: I know what it's a story about, and I get all the metaphors the song displays (except for the indigo and tears theory, that doesn't wash at all, 'weepings tears of cozened indigo' seems to have a much deeper metaphor behind it). That doesn't mean a song title has to be the most obvious one. As a pair of words used to title a song 'The Pot' has no aesthetic beauty to me at all, nor is it a particularly clever title. It's lazy. To me.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #72
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Terry: I know what it's a story about, and I get all the metaphors the song displays (except for the indigo and tears theory, that doesn't wash at all, 'weepings tears of cozened indigo' seems to have a much deeper metaphor behind it). That doesn't mean a song title has to be the most obvious one. As a pair of words used to title a song 'The Pot' has no aesthetic beauty to me at all, nor is it a particularly clever title. It's lazy. To me.
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Terry,

A kangaroo court is a 'judicial' proceeding that denies proper procedure in the name of expediency; a fraudulent or unjust trial where the decision has essentially been made in advance, usually for the purpose of providing a conviction, either going through the motions of manipulated procedure or allowing no defence at all. This seems right on...

Read up on this trial and you may come to same conclusion as I have.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #73
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Terry,

A kangaroo court is a 'judicial' proceeding that denies proper procedure in the name of expediency; a fraudulent or unjust trial where the decision has essentially been made in advance, usually for the purpose of providing a conviction, either going through the motions of manipulated procedure or allowing no defence at all. This seems right on...

Read up on this trial and you may come to same conclusion as I have.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmen9c View Post
Terry,

Yeah, I know, I read about the meaning just today. While I still think that the whole song is probably just straight forward about hypocrasy. And the court thing is just symbolic.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #74
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmen9c View Post
Terry,

Yeah, I know, I read about the meaning just today. While I still think that the whole song is probably just straight forward about hypocrasy. And the court thing is just symbolic.
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Could be... but.. there are the references to lawyers, a hung jury and someone being innocent. Without sighting names in the lyrics, which would remove the metaphorical power of the song, I think (don't know becasue I didn't write it) it is about that trial and hypocrisy in general, as hypocrisy in general is also related to the trial.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #75
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Could be... but.. there are the references to lawyers, a hung jury and someone being innocent. Without sighting names in the lyrics, which would remove the metaphorical power of the song, I think (don't know becasue I didn't write it) it is about that trial and hypocrisy in general, as hypocrisy in general is also related to the trial.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 11:02 AM

"New Age Philosophy

The color electric indigo is used to symbolically represent the sixth (Ajna) chakra, which is said to include the third eye."

and

"Ajna or the third eye is linked to the pineal gland."

Well then

"now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo. (musta) got lemon juice
up in your eye when you pissed all over my black kettle"

As I said, I thought the indigo would be a much cleverer reference than simply 'tears' (which doesn't work anyway). Cozened indigo perhaps implies, then, someone who is using a drug experience (yep, The Pot, but calling it 'The Pot' isn't very adventurous) to pretend they have a specific spiritual outlook on life, but they are really a hypocrit about it.

The tears are a metaphor, and he swings the metaphor back by saying the were brought on by lemon juice, which is a metaphor for bitterness. All speculation.

Last edited by Jimmeny; 09-26-2006 at 11:04 AM..
Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #76
Level 9 - Obstreperous

"New Age Philosophy

The color electric indigo is used to symbolically represent the sixth (Ajna) chakra, which is said to include the third eye."

and

"Ajna or the third eye is linked to the pineal gland."

Well then

"now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo. (musta) got lemon juice
up in your eye when you pissed all over my black kettle"

As I said, I thought the indigo would be a much cleverer reference than simply 'tears' (which doesn't work anyway). Cozened indigo perhaps implies, then, someone who is using a drug experience (yep, The Pot, but calling it 'The Pot' isn't very adventurous) to pretend they have a specific spiritual outlook on life, but they are really a hypocrit about it.

The tears are a metaphor, and he swings the metaphor back by saying the were brought on by lemon juice, which is a metaphor for bitterness. All speculation.

Last edited by Jimmeny; 09-26-2006 at 11:04 AM..
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 11:08 AM

I just listened with headphones to the Coachella version and I'm pretty sure he says "reversing your shady inference".
Old 09-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #77
Level 8 - Vociferous

I just listened with headphones to the Coachella version and I'm pretty sure he says "reversing your shady inference".
xmen9c
09-26-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
in the missing lyric part at about 4:15 into the song?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:22 AM   #78
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
in the missing lyric part at about 4:15 into the song?
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-26-2006, 11:25 AM

No, in what the "official" lyrics say "refer, save your...".

The missing part is either "shed without a reason, shocked without a reason or trapped without a reason".
Old 09-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #79
Level 8 - Vociferous

No, in what the "official" lyrics say "refer, save your...".

The missing part is either "shed without a reason, shocked without a reason or trapped without a reason".
09-26-2006, 07:03 PM

shed
without
a
reason
Old 09-26-2006, 07:03 PM   #80
Level 10 - Vehement

shed