opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/07 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

SETLIST --

[SMS from Kabir to Chris, 11:54 CDT:]
[now corrected. sorry my txting sucks --k]

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty-Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
(small part of Intension)
Right in Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
(break)
(interlude)
Vicarious
Aenema

http://toolshed.down.net/pix/20060907setlist.jpg
....pic of the setlist handed to me after the show --k

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116
Re: 2006/09/07 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

well well. my 21st tool show. (that's over 13 yrs now, though, so it's not as crazy as it sounds). it was really great in some ways, and a little strange in some other ways.

thanks to traffic, i managed to get there half an hour late for the meetup. sorry to anyone who was waiting around. tomorrow hopefully we can work it out. at least i managed to miss isis =)

we were near the back of the floor section, on those risers, so we had an unobstructed view of the stage, though we were sort of distant. true enough, as has been reported, the reward to people who are "stuck" on the higher levels is that they can see video projections on the FLOOR of the stage, which are totally impossible to see from the floor. it's an interesting way to make things more fair for people, if anything.

the video screen at staples was actually just the basketball stadium scoreboard above center court. this meant that if you were on the floor, you could not see it without looking up (or behind you and up). but, the back wall of the set was also rigged for video projection, so you could sort of see what was going on.

as the show was about to begin, i got a tip that tonight was going to be the debut of Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days, and that it was added in without displacing any other songs (though "Sober", a setlist mainstay this whole tour, quietly disappeared from tonight's show). after the show i met blair for the first time; he told me he had posted a cryptic message alerting people of the Wings addition, though i didn't see one when i looked just now. i told my pal lauren (of the band Rocket) that tonight was the night, and the guy in front of me turned around and asked "are you kabir?" he then acknowledged that he had heard me and knew what i meant ... and smiled =)

there were some interesting variations in tonight's performances, many which have been discussed here already.

* the "Right!" in "stinkfist" went from a one-note word to an angry protracted scream, which was a nice touch. they did perform this song with its extended live middle section (once known on setlists as "(O.T.R.M.)" which we now think means "on the road mix").

* the first line of "the pot", maynard stopped at "finger" and the rest of the crowd finished the line, before he continued it himself.

* "jambi" still shreds live.

* i have never been a big fan of "schism", but the new fast section in the middle certainly was welcome. it comes where the quiet middle part starts - they just play the whole instrumental part double speed, then finish it, and play it normal speed. i dug it.

* "rosetta stoned" was interesting. all of the 'spoken word' bits, maynard read through them all too quickly, and was left to hang around while the rest of the song caught up before the singing sections (notably, 'holy fucking shit!' was over for him two measures before it should have been). but the end was amazing. the back five minutes of this song blow my mind, and they all nailed it.

* "right in two", my first time hearing it ... man, i am reminded of what we used to say after tool shows in the early 90s: "how the hell are they able to play it live and have it sound perfect?!?!"

and then, Wings for Marie ("Wings 1+2" on the setlist). you could sense their excitement and nerves about playing it live. justin sat down for the whole thing, actually, which i've never seen him do. so did danny, but ... oh never mind. that gongy-keyboardy sound at the beginning was played live by mjk on his little keyboard. part 1 was stellar. part 2 ... is where it got a little strange. after the first few lines, maynard abruptly walked off stage entirely.

i had been watching but at first i wondered if someone had thrown something at him. i felt as though he had messed up the order of the first few stanzas, but i can't speculate on if he was frustrated with himself or overcome with emotion or what. adam turned around shortly afterwards and there was sort of a moment on stage where you sensed that they were entirely unsure what to do.

they continued, and i was very impressed that they managed to keep their places in the song and still add their flourishes without the reference of lyrics to tell them where they were in the song. but sure enough, a minute later mjk returned, and picked up with 'ignorant fibbers in the congregation.' it was pretty unusual. but the rest of the song was amazing - the visuals of the clouds in the sky amplified the feeling. glad i was there for the first performance. later i was handed (by someone who must remain anonymous) a setlist of this unique performance.

the rest of the show as very strong, but the night was sort of peppered with mistakes. i heard that the horizontal video LED screens around the venue were supposed to light up with some animation also, but for technical reasons they did not. i imagine that tomorrow's show will be much tighter.

one interesting thing - NO songs played tonight from "undertow" or "opiate."

despite these snafus, tool is still WAAAY better on a bad day than most bands at their best. i was very happy to see this show, i am looking forward to another helping of tool live tomorrow ......

ps - here's the details (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...58#post1380958) on an attempted t.d.n meetup at the show tomorrow. come by, have a drink, say hello.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I just got home. Wings/10k was awesome. Maynard did leave the stage breifly during the song though. When the lights went out, the rings of the arena had the TOOL logo all around which looked cool. The videos reflecting off the crowd from the main jumbotron looked sweet. Still unreal to see TOOL at Staples
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

I will post a bigger review later. I stopped at work and still have to go home but I fired up my work system just to say this..

WINGS BITCHES!!!!

Incredible! I am still a little choked up. So was Maynard apparently because he walked off stage in the middle of a verse. It took him a while but he came back and finished. I am still buzzing really hard from the show- and I've only had one beer!

There were pros and cons to the rest of the show, but man, when they hit the first note for Wings, that's a moment I will always remember.

Oh and, kabir, the beer is on me tomorrow night, brutha. Thank you for the great website and thank you Tool!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Fucking awesome we finally got wings pt. 1 & 2!!!! Had to go to 6 shows to hear it, but was worth it! Great show, sound was only ok since this is more a sports arena, but again, amazing show and enjoyed every minute of it.
Tried to meet up with everyone at the bar, but didn't get there until 8:30 and couldn't find anyone. was looking for kabir and sonnyboy11 but didn't see anyone with a kings hat on??? waited around til 9 when tool came on. oh well, hopefully some of you got a chance to meet and buy kabir a drink for giving us this great website.
have fun tomorrow!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

10k days rocked - loved the laser show + the 2 hearts that was on the back wall. It not only choked me up but made me fall in love with the song even more.

Lateralus was pretty sweet as well.

Really great show. I wish I could get some good pictures. Or, go tomorrow!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Wow. Amazing.

Stinkfist
The Pot
(interlude)
Forty-Six & 2
Jambi
(interlude)
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Intension intro
Right in Two
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
(break)
(interlude)
Vicarious
Aenema

I am just stunned. My favorite moment (besides when they started to play Wings) was in Forty-Six and 2. Right at the beginning of the song, this blue light totally haloed Justin in the most beautiful and breathtaking way. My jaw just dropped. Incredible.

Anyway, the show was fucking phenomenal. Maynard spoke VERY little. He came out and said hello right at the beginning, said "Thank you" after The Pot and another thank you after Vicarious. No chit chat.

Wings was, as expected, pretty much amazing. I was just silent and frozen throughout the entire thing. Near the beginning of 10,000 Days, Maynard left the stage for about a minute or so. I was really worried he was just getting too emotional and couldn't finish the song, or he was pissed at the people who were still screaming. But when he came back out, everyone cheered and the band finished the song. It was incredible. My eyes were literally welling up with tears.

All the songs were perfect. The band was really on fire tonight. I can't wait until tomorrow to go back and see them again. What a show. Definitely my best concert experience. Period.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Such a great show. Seeing 10000 days perfromed for the first time must be akin to seeing Stairway to Heaven being performed for the first time live. I've never seen the band more loose or emotional. Maynard walking off stage during 10k puncuated the heaviness of that song. The stage show was such a departure for the band. The lasers while making feel like I was at Pink Floyd show worked for them. Adam being backlit during his solo Jambi just looked beautiful. I could barely watch the band during Rosetta Stoned because of the insane UFO images the were showing on the Staples Center screens. Did anyone else think Maynard riding the bull during the middle of Jambi was hilarious? Cheers to the band for upping the ante every tour they do.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

BIG thanks (and apologies) to Saks for not leaving me dry.

Seeing Wings 1 & 2 together tonight was absolutely phenominal. When the lasers came on i looked to the back wall of the arena to turn around, and see a stage without maynard on it, but the rest of the band still chugging away. I got a bit worried at this moment because i did not know what happened. Anyone care to elaborate how he left the stage? Also, does anyone think it insulting if i bring a cardboard sign of "RIP Judith" on it to tomorrows show?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

complete once in a lifetime event. i will never see anything like that again in my life, nor do i want to. hey mjk...thanks for sharing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDupaNerd View Post
BIG thanks (and apologies) to Saks for not leaving me dry.

Seeing Wings 1 & 2 together tonight was absolutely phenominal. When the lasers came on i looked to the back wall of the arena to turn around, and see a stage without maynard on it, but the rest of the band still chugging away. I got a bit worried at this moment because i did not know what happened. Anyone care to elaborate how he left the stage? Also, does anyone think it insulting if i bring a cardboard sign of "RIP Judith" on it to tomorrows show?
I think it was after the line "how we rise to the height of our halo" he just turned and walked off stage right (our left). The band just kept going, and then he casually walked back on right before "ignorant figures in the congregation."
Old 09-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Finally...Wings for Marie & 10,000 Days

FUCK YEAH!!!
My 22nd time seeing Tool live. What a great fuckin' show.
Here's the real setlist:
Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
WINGS FOR MARIE!!!
10,000 DAYS!!!
Lateralus
<break>
Vicarious
Ænema

I gotta say that I'm so stoked to have been part of the first audience to see and hear Wings For Marie & 10,000 Days live. Those songs were amazing, definitely the highlight of the night. At one point during 10,000 Days, I think Maynard got choked up, because he left the stage temporarily to gather himself. But, he did come back and finished the song. THANK YOU TOOL for playing those 2 songs for your hometown crowd. It made my night. I was also really happy that they didn't play Sober! I've heard that song so many times (practically every time I've ever seen them live they've played it), and I could really care less if I ever hear that song again live. Anyway, the light/laser show was a nice touch. It was a truly awesome evening.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:39 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Perhaps during those songs he had to pee? If was emotions getting to him then, all apologies are mine. Thank you MJK for sharing those truly heartfelt songs with us tonight, and giving us a tiny glimpse into yourself
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Sorry we missed you, lauralynn. No way you'll be there tomorrow night?

I just got done talking to a friend and sorry if I sound like a pussy, but I am pretty damn choked up right now about tonight's performance. Maynard went to try and leave the stage early after Aenema (and eventually did so) but first he walked over to Danny and gave him a big hug. Sorry, but that's all I can say right now. Did not know I could still get moved like this over a concert.

And anyway, I want to defer a bit to kabir and his review.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 09-08-2006 at 12:12 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

amazing show, i still cannot fucking believe they played 10,000 days. i was worried Maynard wouldn't come back on stage for the rest of the song, pure fucking amazement. best concert of my life so far. holy shit. beautiful visuals, amazing sound, divine set list. this was my first tool concert and hopefully not my last.

did anybody get pics, i would like to save them, just to remember this amazing night.

Last edited by AshesofWake; 09-07-2006 at 11:52 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:54 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 110

Another great show. When the first notes for Wings came on about ten people near me went "Oh Shit!!" We knew we were getting a treat. But, I think my favorite was still Lateralus.

I had seats for this one on the 100 level, and my view was amazing. It was also cool to see the lights and lazers from an angle other than the floor. Can't wait until tomorrow to do it all again!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

haha yeah i just kept saying "holy fuck" "oh my fucking god, they're playing it!" the entire place had an energy i've never seen before in a concert when 10,000 days played.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Tool thank you, that was beautiful. I feel extremely fortunate to be at the debut show for Wings/10,000. See you tomorrow night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:08 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Yeah I admit it, I teared up major during Wings and 10,000 days. Its okay bro, I felt you when you walked off. Too much man! I understand. All I could do was wrap my arm around my daughter during those beautiful momemts and just feel it. Amazing!!!! Fourth show and every time is the best thing I have ever been part of. Danny - Nice Mandelas!!! Fuckin Nuts! Can't wait to see you jam again at The Baked Potato or La Ve Lee. My brother talked to Ziegler at the beginning of the show. I got to hang and watch Amalgatron last week and Zieg said he got to just hang and watch a rehersal before Street Scene in Burbank for about 5 poeple. Bastard!!! Crazy shit!!! Thanks Kabir for giving us an outlet to share amongst us true Tool fans for what now 11 or so years? Thanks Tool for yet another fuckin incredible display of heart! Yes, I was one that couldn't stand the new album when it came out, just thrown in left field pondering... 2nd or 3rd listen and I was hooked. I finally got it and don't understand how the some don't. Its still in my CD Player.... Everything I aspire to be or do with music is all wrapped up in Tool!!!

Keep Digging!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Holy fucking shit!!!! OMFG!!!!! Wings in its entirety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were tears. I can't believe my ears! I'm sorry for all the exclamation points, but if you were there, you'd understand!!!! It was totally worth the 7 shows I've seen this year to see them finally play it.... and Maynard going off stage for the first verse!!!!!!!! Again, sorry for the exclamation points. The rest of the show didn't even matter... I'm sorry to say. That was just phenomenal. I'm in total awe. I hope they duplicate it tomorrow. How funny is that? After all this bitching, seeing so many identical shows, and here I am begging for a repeat. The irony is not lost on me. Get a ticket! Buy it off a scalper if you have to. It's totally worth it for this show.

After the show, for all those bastards selling t-shirts, tell them what I told them... "If you can sing one verse of any song of TOOL, I'll buy every shirt you have and give you all the cash in my bank account!!!!" Just watch their faces. It's priceless!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:15 AM   #21
NAD
Level 3 - Talker

I hate arena sound, but seeing Wings made it all worth it. Very touching, I got a little choked up even if half the people around me were blabbing during that one. I think that was my 8th show since 1995, hooray.

Anyone catch what the L. Ron Hubbard line was changed to this time around? I forgot to pay special attention to that part this time, didn't hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippleringnewtattoo View Post
Did anyone else think Maynard riding the bull during the middle of Jambi was hilarious?
Definitely gave me a chuckle. :)
Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 AM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

Without a doubt the best concert I have ever been to. I wasn't able to make any of the earlier arena shows so this was my first time seeing Rosetta Stoned and Right in Two (The only other show I went to was coachella.) Not to mention WINGS!!!! :). I couldn't control myself I just kept cheering I wish I could of cheered louder.

The beginning of Wings for Marie will be a moment I will always remember. The first bass note dropped and I turned to my pal and we immediately high-fived / shook hands. It was ecstacy from then on.

I will also never forget the beginning of 10,000 Days (Wings part 2).

Maynard: "Listen to the tales and romanticize.
Listen to the..."

Then he walks off stage, too emotional to continue, and the crowd is in awe and worry that he will not return. He returns on "the ignorant..."

From then on it was amazing. At the end Adam hugged Maynard and the entire audience felt the love. I was urged to run up and hug them both. I hope they continue to do it live now that Manyard has confronted his emotions.

I also really liked Stinkfist they changed it up a bit and it was amazingly awesome.

Best show ever I wish I could go again tomorrow!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:20 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Man, that was an awesome show. This was my 5th show, and my third this tour (saw them in San Diego and in Oakland). This was definitely the best show this tour, maybe the best show I've been to. It was so cool to be in the first crowd to hear Wings/10,000 Days live. I called a friend who really wanted to hear it at the Oakland show and he got to listen to it from my phone.

Oh man, Adam's solo in Jambi was awesome from where I was sitting. I was in section 113, just off to Adam's right. It was cool to see him mouthing noises into the talk box while he played it. When they played Aenima he came over to our side of the stage at the beginning of the song and played toward us for a while. That was pretty sweet too. Rosetta Stoned was awesome too.

I actually really liked my seats because I could see everyone in the band, could see the stage floor, the jumbotron, and the back of the stage. My only gripe was the security at the beginning sort of making a scene trying to deal with some guy who was trying to video tape. Other than that it was awesome!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

WOW! What can I say? By far the best show of the tour. As much as I hate living in this town, I stick around for my career and seeing special moments like tonight. Wings part 1 and 10,000 Days was a miracle. Indeed, Maynard walked offstage during the beginning of 10K, no doubt due to the emotional impact. After the song, Adam walked over to Maynard to console. A very moving moment. I hope to god they play it again tonight. If not, I can say I was part of history...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #25
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 271

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH WINGS BITCHES!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAH

I thought the applause after wings was very lackluster. With hundreds of thousands if not millions of people waiting day after day show after show to hear wings debuted. Always wondering if thier show would be the show....and we finally got it. The applause afterwards was very ho-hum. The show was amazing but the crowd was very lacking. All the people around me except for eggman just stood there the whole time. Not sure if it was their first time or what, but I did not feel much energy coming from them. The guys next to me were actually sitting down during Lateralus. Whatever dude, Im gonna bumb into you, Im swinging on a spiral so either swing with me or get out of the way.

It was the very beggining of 10000 days, Maynard didnt even say one word. Too me, it seemed pretty obvious that he was emotional about sharing the song with us. The vulnerability of the song and sharing it with thousands of people must be truly overwhelming. The reason that I think that he was overcome emotionally was because the usual maynard who is gyrating and dancing around his box was just hunched over his keyboard singing into the microphone. Thank you Maynard, Justin, Adam, and Danny for sharing wings with us. It was truly amazing.

I know everyone is all about wings right now but I just had to also say:
Did anyone else notice all the new visuals??? There was alot of new 10000 days artwork incorporated into lateralus and vicarious. Indeed a vicarious teaser??? Anyways, I saw alot of new visuals and it was awesome!!!
The visuals for 1000 days were pretty good too with the sky and the clouds running by and the crazy zoned out thing at the end.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:43 AM   #26
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm619 View Post
Wow. Amazing.

I am just stunned. My favorite moment (besides when they started to play Wings) was in Forty-Six and 2. Right at the beginning of the song, this blue light totally haloed Justin in the most beautiful and breathtaking way. My jaw just dropped. Incredible.

WE saw it too!!!! IT WAS FUCKING SICK!!!! It silhoutted Justin perfectly for us!!! We were in section 210 on the edge between 210 and 211. WOW!~!
!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #27
NIB
Level 3 - Talker

You wouldn't believe how hard I tried not to look at these boards and try not to see any set lists or stage design or any type of hint of what I was going to expect.

What can I say that hasn't been already. Best Tool show of this tour so far!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 AM   #28
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine000 View Post
It was the very beggining of 10000 days, Maynard didnt even say one word. Too me, it seemed pretty obvious that he was emotional about sharing the song with us. The vulnerability of the song and sharing it with thousands of people must be truly overwhelming. The reason that I think that he was overcome emotionally was because the usual maynard who is gyrating and dancing around his box was just hunched over his keyboard singing into the microphone. Thank you Maynard, Justin, Adam, and Danny for sharing wings with us. It was truly amazing.

I know everyone is all about wings right now but I just had to also say:
Did anyone else notice all the new visuals??? There was alot of new 10000 days artwork incorporated into lateralus and vicarious. Indeed a vicarious teaser??? Anyways, I saw alot of new visuals and it was awesome!!!
The visuals for 1000 days were pretty good too with the sky and the clouds running by and the crazy zoned out thing at the end.
Yes i knoticed the new visuals as well. The odd thing with the clouds racing on the screen, is that is what i had originally envisioned when listening to the song on my first listenings of the album... Just the tempo of 10,000 days just has this ominous feeling of ticking time... I still send my utmost gratitude to Maynard and the band for looking wthin themselves "for a comfortable space, that is not only comfortable, but also vulnerable" and thus of not only sharing, but giving us the blessed opportunity to witness this performance.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

That was...i mean...i mean MY GOD...i mean...DAMN...that was just...WOW...just...WOW.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 AM   #30
Cid
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 190

wings...that alone made it worth it.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 04:45 AM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

The show tonight was awesome. Last time I saw Tool was during the Lateralus tour, and I loved to see how they totally reinvented themselves... especially with regards to the set design. I feel like 10,000 Days was more of a rock album, and they definitely have more a rock band feel on this tour... from Maynard with his cowboy hat to the way the stage and lighting was set up. I was able to share the concert with my sister and had an amazing time.

Loved it. Thank you Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 18

I managed to get a couple 'after party' passes....which took place in a lounge in the VIP section....3/4 of the band was there (minus maynard) and family (camella, blair, etc.).....I got to speak to adam briefly and he mentioned the emotional intensity of playing 10k days...he was very greatful of my comments and expressed that it wasnt easy for the band (emotionally) either...

...one thing he did say was "tomorrow will be better". I cant imagine what they can do to possibly top last nights show, tonight. I will be there to find out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 07:16 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Just want to share my experience.....

Like most of the replies, Wings/10k was awesome to see/hear live. I remember looking over to my buddy when the first notes of Wings started and I couldn't believe they were going to play it. I thought to myself, "surely, if they play Wings, they have to play 10k!!" And all I could think about was MJK's state of mind and what he must be feeling and thinking at that moment, knowing what was coming up shortly.

After he went off stage during 10k, I heard some asshole behind me (I was in PR 17) yell out "Stop fucking up already!" I turned around, told him to fucking learn what Tool songs were about, or just don't come at all and leave your seat for a TRUE Tool fan. If you are reading this...which I doubt you are because you sure as fuck didn't know shit about the band.....you are lucky I didn't turn around and kick your ass. Only reason I didn't was because I didn't want to get kicked out and miss the rest of the show.

Sorry....rant off.....

When Maynard was offstage for the moment, I was shouting to him "We are here with you!! We are going through this with you!! You aren't alone. We are here for you!!" I'm sure he didn't hear me with all of the cheering and encouragement that the entire crowd was giving him....well...minus that POS fucker behind me. Was great to see the embrace with MJK and Adam. If that song didn't hit you, then I don't know what the fuck would.

I'm going again tonight. Will be interesting to see if they change up the setlist or not.

Grats on the first part of the 'healing' stage MJK. We are here to help you through it!

Much <3
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 07:21 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

long time listener, first time caller..never saw TOOL live before though I've been a fan since Undertow..but when I heard they were playing on my birthday, what the hell..I had to go..

kabir did the show justice in his description of it...I'd like to add my thoughts on why Maynard left the stage. Like most of you, my first thought was maybe he got choked up..but hey..they are all professionals and I don't think he would do that..I noticed many sound problems, especially muddy vocals (or maybe the staples center sucks). When he returned, it was a lot easier to hear him than during Wings Pt1. The sound guy may have had his ass handed to him somehow..

Kabir, I may have sat near you, behind the soundboard 6th row, dead center...if that sweet and adorable blonde who traded seats with me so I could sit next to my g/f is reading this..thanks again, very much!

it's a long shot, but does anyone have footage for the rosetta stoned film? I'd love to translate the enochian and see what it says..

Last edited by rmaiolo; 09-08-2006 at 07:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #35
Level 2 - Poster

Everyone has pretty much already said what I was going to say. This was my first time seeing them live. I was in the nosebleeds and it didn't matter, they were great. See you again tonight- pretty easy to pick me out, my boyfriend is the guy wearing the "I like girls who like girls" shirt.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #36
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 2

Same exact setlist as the Bakersfield show with the exception of Wings/10,000 days in place of Sober and no kick ass jamming/intro to Lateralus. I think it was the section that I was in but it just didnt seem to have the same energy of the Bakersfield show. I was in the nosebleeds in sec 316 and most of the people were sitting down. The section next to me, (sec 317 i guess) were all standing, cheering and pumping their fist as they should be. In Bako, I was on the floor with gen admission and you could really feel the excitement and energy of the crowd there.

Anyway it was Tool, so of course it rocked. I actually got a chill down my spine when maynard sang the lyric "vicariously I live as the whole world dies, much better you than I". Incredible stuff. I was going to talk about which songs are good but every song they played was fucking incredible. My only other complaint is that there was absolutely nothing from Undertow or Opiate.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #37
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563

The show was about two hours long and it was the greatest fucking show of my life. I've seen tool 3 times previously and this was easily the best show they have put on to date (well for me anyway). I was stunned. I like 10,000 Days but its not my favorite album of theirs, so I was a little apprehensive going into the show, not really knowing how I felt about everything, but the opening version of Stinkfist was amazing and it set the tone for me the entire night (god they need to release a live DVD with their live interpretations of the songs, such as this one!) I was hardly able to contain my excitement. In fact I don’t think I was able to. I have been to a show where they basically played all my favorite songs (except Eulogy wasn’t played) and that was my favorite up to this point and that show was my second time seeing them, but last night, my forth time seeing Tool, was truly brilliant. During the Wings duo I was actually starting to get teary eyed and when Maynard walked off stage my heart sank, I truly felt for him at that moment in time, I'm sure we have all lost someone near and dear to us in our lives so we can all relate on some level, but right then I shed a real tear for Maynard and it shocked me too. I'm at a rock concert how did I end up crying? Well the band played it perfectly and Maynard came back to finish it, it truly was a special moment in my life time. And for the first time for me, last night, this band seemed like real people, human. Usually being shrouded in darkness, yeah that’s their thing, and it’s cool and great and they have that cold distance and mystery about them, but last night they were mortal, up front flesh and blood and seeing Maynard leave and actually show it, it was touching. Maybe the white stage had something to do with it and that you could clearly see every member, but what ever it was the show felt close and intimate despite its arena setting. Afterward Adam went to console Maynard a bit and they launched into Lateralus which pleased me to no end, but you could still see Maynard was still a bit emotional about the whole thing, and then after that, the band just kind of sat on the little drum rise while Maynard laid down on stage and took a breather for a few minutes. Man I don’t even know what to say about that show that would accurately depict what was going on and how I was feeling. It felt like last night I had a personal connection with the band beyond the music, we are all a big group of friends who know and love each other, we were all one consciousness, the band, the fans, occupying a single space in time and place.
All I can say is holy shit, I wonder how tonight will be...

Oh! I forgot to mention the visuals! They ruled! I recall that Rosetta Stoned and Wings for Marie easily had the best visuals. Like, they were absolutely perfect I couldn’t imagine anything better! Really the visuals were truly stunning, the white stage that had the visuals projected on to it in way where shadows weren’t cast by the band members, how exactly did they do that? But no matter how amazing the visuals really were their importance was simply dwarfed by the sheer impact of the bands performance. Really, I can’t believe the experience I had last night it was truly magical.

I’ll add some more here about the other songs played; Jambi ruled, I was extremely excited to hear it, Right in Two was amazing, The Pot which is a song I almost don’t care for seriously rocked live and after hearing it, it hit me...this whole album to me is way better live, Lateralus is a perfect cd and live it translated well, but the songs for 10kD were meant for a live show and boy did they not disappoint in fact it actually enhanced my opinion of the album. Lets see... Stinkfist I already mentioned as being superb, Rosetta Stoned was great, timing was a bit off but it engrossed me even more that way as I said earlier the visuals were awesome for this song, Lateralus was played with such intense power and emotion following Wings for Marie that it felt like that was the song to ascend to heaven to. Vicarious was damn good and Ænema was a great way to close it out. The faster part in the bridge of Schism was a nice little treat (not as good as the extended bridge for Stinkfist though, the clarity and the solo Adam wrote for it was amazing.) 46 and 2 was extremely powerful. It almost felt like the band was playing as if they had something to prove and not just playing songs for a bunch of people, every note they hit just seemed to be teeming with emotion and feeling it truly was an excellent show.

Damnit I keep having to add stuff..I thought Isis did an amazing job opening, but of course the impact of Tool's performance last night was not to be matched...not by a long shot. Whatever songs they played pretty much kicked ass. I am a mild fan of theirs (I actually met Adam at one of their shows at the Knitting Factory) I only have Panopticon so I only knew one of the songs played, so I'm hoping the rest of that stuff was new because if so I'm going to be one happy camper when it comes out.
"Am I a pretty girl?"

Last edited by EulogyCallinMe; 09-08-2006 at 10:56 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #38
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

That was the best concert I have ever been to hands down! Since it was my first Tool show, I have been waiting since 2000 for this opportunity. What a show! WINGS LIVE!!!!! Stinkfist was insane as usual and the way they just blsted through the songs was amazing. The visuals were awesome as well. Having a seat slightly above the stage floor I had a perfect view of the screen on the stage floor. The highlights for me were Schism, Jambi, Wings/10,000 Days, and Aenema.

Thank You Tool for one hell of a show!

Last edited by TurdEye13; 09-08-2006 at 09:07 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

I can't post much that hasn't already been said, but since I enjoy reading other people's reviews of shows I have and have not been to, I will add my own thoughts.

I've seen this same setlist 6 times now, but I am learned to love it. Obviously Wings 1 and 2 are new and I couldn't really ask for anything more than that.

I noticed Maynard walk off stage, Adam looked back to see him missing, looked towards Justin with concern on his face, and just kept going.

There were a couple of mis cues during the show which always make it fun. The guys usually smile at each other. Its nice to know they are human as well.

I love the gong in Lateralus.

Right in Two is intense.

This is the first show I have seen where NO songs from Opiate or Undertow were played.

Wish I was at the show tonight, but I don't live in LA and had to come home after the show last night.

I was on the floor, it was seated, but very well managed by security. No pushing, or people jumping down from the seats.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Unbelievable. I was in section 316 row 6, and the seats were perfect. I had a direct shot of Danny's blurred limbs while he worked his magic. The new visuals using the whole stage was absolutley amazing.

Jambi, live, was incredible....then Rosetta Stoned was even better....I still haven't had a chance to hear Eulogy live, but the setlist last night was very satisfying. I wasn't too keen on the acoustics of Staples Center because I couldn't hear the distinction of Adam's riffs, most notably in The Pot, but I could still feel every note of every song.

They proved to me again that they were meant to make music.

I am once again cleansed.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: