opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/06/07 - Berlin, GER - Arena Treptow

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/07 - Berlin, GER - Arena Treptow

The show sucked. It was short, they played the exact same songs as the last few shows, the crowd was gigantic and there was no way of seeing shit because of all the people who don't have jobs even though I was there right at 8:00. The people who got there early got wrist bands or some shit that let them get in the center section in front of the stage. The rest of use were stuck way back from it. Can't really enjoy much when you can only see the top foot of the screens.

It was not worth 40 EUR and the shirts going for 35 EUR were a joke (that's 45 fucking dollars!).

Only good things I can say: the visuals are nice (at least when I could see them) and the sound was good. They played well, but of course didn't put on much of a show (like always). They just sat there, looking bored. Kinda like how I felt.

Last edited by Jobarr; 06-07-2006 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: typo
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 56

how long was the show exactly? it started 8:30 pm.. i know i took a look on my cell phone when i came out but i have already forgotten what time it was.. >.< but it seemed to be quiet short...

what did maynard say during the show? did anybody understand? the first thing was "hi germans" or something like that. but later he said something with "free"... i didn't get that... >.<
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Setlist

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Jambi
Shism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

It was about 1:20 long. I don't remember what he said except he wanted us to yell Hail Satan but hardly anyone did. I don't think they understood him. ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

@Kiyou: "Yesterday was devils day. Say hail Satan, I'm free" is what he said at that point. And as Jobarr mentioned, that hardly generated any feedback.

"See you in 40 years tops, I personally can't wait" were the last words, before Aenema.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

ok set is too short on all the shows in the current tour, ok they always do the same (sit down on stage before the encore etc), ok the setlist is the same on almost every show...but who the fuck cares? it's such a pleasure to watch justin play his bass, to see danny beating the shit out of his drumkit, to be blown away by that sound...so for me it was totally satisfying and like maynard said....hopefully we see you again by the end of the year...i hope so...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 02:08 AM   #8
SSA
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, getting there early wasn`t that good of an idea. Kinda reminded me of a Wave Gothic Convention under the bridge seeing all the people almost camping there since (my guess) 2 am. They played a good show as far as I can tell (that aint much). The yellow, fancy ribbons were for those who had to leave the "restricted area" for any reasons, mostly due to the consume of what we call beer and those hot dogs. Goin in was no problem though. Hell they have to be poor, 30 bucks a T, and 15 bucks that poster??? I was askin if it was handpainted by mister Grey but the answer was right what I expected. If anyone could tell me about those two bastards gettin in a fight or what, or where they live...Anyways, lots of money for a great show.
By the way, I wonder what the band thought about the dumb, non responding faces of that KRAUT
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 03:16 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Too bad Jobarr didnt enjoy it, and I can´t figure out what´s so bad about a band playing the same set of songs on most of the concerts (it´s not like many of us will experience more than 1-2 shows anyways, will be there in Rome later that month). My 6th Tool show overall, and though some "so cool" fighting, moshing and whatsoever kids were quite disturbing it was a great experience which was worth the money (and yeah, 30 euros for a band shirt seems to be expensive when you remember the "good ole days", but actually it´s quite a fair price for well manufactured stuff of your fav band, so couldn´t resist of course).

Sound was brilliant, far from beeing unbalanced or Maynard beeing not loud enough. Wasn´t too happy about that Pit-thingy, which lead to me ending up right behind the pit zone in between the fences and the sound-editor (not much space there, and still plenty movement and stuff, so it was an extremely exhausting concert). Guess that´s another one of those silly German concert restrictions, but well, beeing 6´2 really helped in there and I really enjoyed the concert (though for some reason I´d like to see one of those opera house - there´s your seat - don´t leave it - concerts in europe some day).

Couldn´t see any of the lapses they made on earlier concerts (no damaged strings, no problems during schism for maynard or adam), and it seems like they were playing roughly 1:40 (starting 8:30, came out around 10:20), so well, quite within what had to be expected. The new bridges on Stinkfist and Schism kicked ass, the drum solo to start Sober with was immense, you could see the screens trembling and FEEL the bass all over.

Show was tight, sound was great, sound editing was alot better than on album (I´m not a great fan of how 10,000 days was produced), guys on and off stage were at a good mood ... looking forward to see them in Rome.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 04:47 AM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck-0
ok set is too short on all the shows in the current tour, ok they always do the same (sit down on stage before the encore etc), ok the setlist is the same on almost every show...but who the fuck cares? it's such a pleasure to watch justin play his bass, to see danny beating the shit out of his drumkit, to be blown away by that sound...so for me it was totally satisfying and like maynard said....hopefully we see you again by the end of the year...i hope so...
oh yeah... justin was amazing!!! O.O i stood in front of adam (not very sensational...*gg*) but when i looked over to justin... he rocked all the time^^ awesome!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

I've just came back home.
The show was 94 minutes with 2min break.
Sound was OK except Justin's bass, it wasn't clear, sometimes over level.
Maynard's voice was exceptionally good.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Yeah, the show was great, IMO.
But the moshing crowd distracted me while I wanted to enjoy the show!
I think, it isn't very appropriate to mosh during a Tool concert except for sober or something like that.
My personal highlight was Lateralus although Danny started too early.
And the faster tempo during the bridge in Schism kicked ass.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

I couldn't make download, so took the opportunity to visit germany, see some friends and see the gig. This is the first time I've seen Tool live, so I was really looking forward to it.

Overall, they were pretty good.

Being pounded by Danny's drums with such a large soundsystem was a great experience. Excellent. As others have said, the bass sounds was dodgy in places - sometimes too loud, other times kind of over compressed and plasticy sounding. The drums and guitar sounds were really sweet though.

Justin and Danny seemed to have fun, and with maynard sulking and looking bored it was a good job they took more of the limelight.

Maynard is a liability to Tool when they play live. The rest of them shine brilliantly, but he has to show off like a sulky teenager. He did the same when I saw perfect circle in the UK. There's obviously some unwritten unannounced pattern he'd like his audience to conform to, but we all keep failing him. Ahh, poor guy.

Here's a tip: most people cannot dance in 5/4 time. Even those that can will have trouble keeping up with the changes unless the know the albums REALLY well. This is the flipside to Tool being such an interesting and innovative band - most of their crowds just will not be able to dance to a lot of their songs.

Anyway, TOOL ROCK etc. It was cool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: 2006/06/07 - Berlin, GER - Arena Treptow--Hail Satan!

This was my 6th Tool show, but the first of the current tour. I knew what to expect, more or less. Before last night's show the last time I saw them was in Long Beach--the last show from the Lateralus era. I hate to say this but there was a huge difference in the band. That show was on another level--something unique, something uplifting in so many ways--physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, hell even sexual. If I remember correctly they messed up once during Third Eye and so ended up stretching it out, but it actually added to the tension, elevating the energy. Now I totally understand that it is near impossible to keeping performing on such a pinnacle all the time.

It was great to be able to see them after all this time. The show had its moments. Yes moments. Rosetta Stoned is a great song, especially for a concert--I didn't forget my pen--but it is not a good opener, its too long and too demanding, most the fans by me didnt get into it until near the end of the song, after the tiny pause and the crushing wave of sound. Stinkfist and 46&2 were crisp and pounded their way home just as they should. Loved Jambi, full of fury and beauty. Yes, they played Schism with that new intense breakdown--sorry, but its sounds out of place. Extended Stinkfist smooth, it totally fits and adds to the song. In schism, it seems like they cut the track in two and inserted some jam session they liked, just pasted it right in, but in my own humble opinion it doesnt fit the spirit of Schism. Right in Two: the visuals were intriguing and the intensity, the sadness and anger competing in waves of cacaphony and harmony. Trippy intro to Sober, and Sober was, well, Sober.

Here's what I heard(or thought I heard) with the 666 reference: "So apparently yesterday was Devil['s] Day. He didn't show [up]. ...Say hail Satan. On three.... one, two, three: "Hail Satan". I screamed it with a smile. But most people around me looked around and weren't sure what to think. Gotta love that humor. Then came Lateralis with, yes, Danny slipping up--starting just a wee bit early. Only human, I suppose. Though otherwise, he was a monster, relentless, driven... After the little chill out, we got teased with the first notes of "wings for marie" and there was some chanting for the song, hoping and praying, fingers crossed, we're special, they're gonna play it. Vicarious came and thrashed everyone. Out of all the new visuals, vicarious seems to have the most work put into it, watery, electric....nice contrasting backdrop to the song. Then came Aenema. Did anyone notice MJK slipped in "fuck" a few times? Learn to swim, learn to swim, learn to fuck.... and then... I'm fucking for rain, I'm praying for tidalwaves. I swear that's what I heard. Great closer. Thematically, is he trying to hint at something?

Now... something in paraflux's album review struck me at the show. The posture and attitude. I've seen maynard crossdress and seen him painted like some kind of an alien/reptilian/demon and it added to the whole, out-of-this-world atmosphere. The cowboy thing doesnt, and thats just it, Maynard didn't come across as inspiring and mind-blowing, honest and desperate, he seemed to stand up there, hand on the mic, looking down at us, dumbfounded dipshits, almost as if he was singing down to the crowd. Hey sure, Maynard is a cocky bastard, and sometimes his seeming arrogance is totally legit, but I couldnt shake the feeling that he was mocking us. I wanted to hear the Pot but I'm glad I didn't. I don't think he could've managed it, not because he technically couldn't hit the notes but because he didn't seem to have the heart. Now Danny and Justin seemed to just tear it up, playing their asses off. Adam was his typical self. But Maynard seemed to be more condescending then ever, as if there was no hope for us. Which brings me to a reoccuring question: is this just music, entertainment with a kind of spiritual/pyschological twist, or is this really about something else, something more than just entertainment???

Despite all that, I was happy to see them. Negative inspiration--still inspiring in a very human way, that hey they are human beings like the rest of us, bringing out what is capable, something we could aspire to. Like I've seen them with the mask slightly out of position, a degree of transparency. In any event, I look forward to seeing them again.

P.S. in reference to the 40 years comment someone said Maynard said... I believe it was "hopefully we'll see you before the end of the year" something toward that direction but definitely not in 40 years.
The sea's a thief, whose liquid surge resolves
The moon into salt tears."
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperus
P.S. in reference to the 40 years comment someone said Maynard said... I believe it was "hopefully we'll see you before the end of the year" something toward that direction but definitely not in 40 years.
Seems like there's two against one here, so I might have misunderstood him. Take "before the", leave out the first two letters, add not so brilliant sound in the back rows and you might get "forty". Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperus
Thematically, is he trying to hint at something?
I like to think that's it's all in the song -- in a brilliantly clear fashion. Plus it's certainly no accident, that Aenema was the closer.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Small glitches:

Big fuckup from danny at the beginning of lateralus, started wayyy too early.
Guitar wasn't loud enough during the ending of 46&2
Justin's bass was at times merky and no way near loud enough up to the end of lateralus.

Overall Berlin was like most of the other shows on this tour: mediocre. On one hand, you have a band playing at their tightest with a very good new album but this isn't enough to compensate the small variations in the setlist or the fact that they've been playing very weak venues.

The Arena was just one big garage. Forget about seeing them anywhere close if you just weren't tall enough. The Hamburg venue was a basketball court (perhaps the best venue though as at least it had some nice seats for those who didn't make it to the frontline). And then you have the open air venues like Lisbon, which just aren't cut out for Tool. Hopefully they'll finally get a decent venue in the UK, but whoever is booking Tool is doing there best to put them in some of the sleeziest places.

Fortunately, Maynard suggested they'd be back before the end of the year, which I doubt as the US tour will be in full steam then, but I'd expect Tool to do their second european leg in spring 2007 with way better visuals (these winamp visuals just don't cut it), more diverse setlists and perhaps venues which are fit for concerts.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-09-2006, 02:20 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

yeah, mediocore show. my 5th tool show overall, i think the last one on this tour. again such a short show, one hour and 20 minutes, and that included "stealing time" like playin some poor jams, sittin on maynards mini stage etc. overall, around 1 hour of music.
they had some major fuck ups again, including a bad one into the lateralus when danny went into the song way before he should, and then adam and justin tried to catch him.
maynard confirmed that the band will likely return for another euro toru, before the year ends
video walls are so lame compared to the videos they had on lateralus tour. a great band , but with a mediocore record and a tour just the same.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #18
pix
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basura_trash
Seems like there's two against one here, so I might have misunderstood him. Take "before the", leave out the first two letters, add not so brilliant sound in the back rows and you might get "forty". Maybe, maybe not.
i heard "before the year is out" pretty clearly.

earlier in the show i also heard "are you comfortable? should we get you anything?".

it was my first tool gig. i'm used to going to much smaller events in berlin where things don't start for hours after the 'doors open' time, so the idea of getting there early didn't occur to me at all ;) ... for this reason i ended up getting inside halfway through rosetta stoned. i don't know if it was just my ears adjusting but the pa sounded really distorted during that track. it quickly improved though.

i remember thinking that it's a little unfortunate that once an artist gets to a certain level of popularity it's no longer possible to see them in a more intimate setting, unless they do a few smaller shows in every city. just typing that, i feel like a slave driver ;)

i'm in amsterdam now and wondering if i should catch the show here since it's finally been confirmed. maybe i'll procrastinate until it sells out...

pix.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: