Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
ćmoeba•°·.'s Avatar ćmoeba•°·.
05-26-2006, 11:54 PM

it's the addiction to make things seem different then they really are, more clear to imagination but cruedly different in reality....systematically changing the "hidden glow" as mentioned and "stoning" the mind through a clear thought of comfortability while describing the tragedy in a metaphor brought out by certain mishaps taken lightly.

~andrew b. campbell
Old 05-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #161
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9
Re: This song has nothing to do with Marijuana.

it's the addiction to make things seem different then they really are, more clear to imagination but cruedly different in reality....systematically changing the "hidden glow" as mentioned and "stoning" the mind through a clear thought of comfortability while describing the tragedy in a metaphor brought out by certain mishaps taken lightly.

~andrew b. campbell
nebadon2025
05-30-2006, 03:57 AM

I just woke up from a nightmare and my 1st clear thought was, This song is about New Orleans, the great melting pot!!! and quite litterally also the shape of a Pot @ 17 feet below sea level. Perhaps maynard is either saying God was high really far away not paying attention when he unleashed the muddy waters, or perhaps he is calling politicians High, for their weak predictions of the storm and aftermath. I do beleive that he means New Orleans though when he says "Black Kettle" and pissing on it is a metaphor for the storm?? i dunno maybe im nuts, anyone else out there have any thoughts? oh yea and the quote "You practicly raised the dead" to mean the flood floating corpses out of their graves to float away never to be found again!

Last edited by nebadon2025; 05-30-2006 at 04:00 AM..
Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 AM   #162
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I just woke up from a nightmare and my 1st clear thought was, This song is about New Orleans, the great melting pot!!! and quite litterally also the shape of a Pot @ 17 feet below sea level. Perhaps maynard is either saying God was high really far away not paying attention when he unleashed the muddy waters, or perhaps he is calling politicians High, for their weak predictions of the storm and aftermath. I do beleive that he means New Orleans though when he says "Black Kettle" and pissing on it is a metaphor for the storm?? i dunno maybe im nuts, anyone else out there have any thoughts? oh yea and the quote "You practicly raised the dead" to mean the flood floating corpses out of their graves to float away never to be found again!

Last edited by nebadon2025; 05-30-2006 at 04:00 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
dime86's Avatar dime86
05-30-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warartist
Really i just despise the person, dime86, who is also like ten other people on this forum. But i do hate the term"the nard" or "NARD'S" witch keeps being used by the asshole in ?. Also, i think its gotta believe too.

Mandy
Wow, your passion for the trite and insignificant is astounding. Really, I admire the energy you have to put into such meaningless issues. This trait surely will keep you from having to evolve into something that has to spend all that time thinking deeply, conversing intelligently, and so on. I mean really, who needs that responsibility.

What was the thread topic?
Oh yeah, hypocrisy.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:12 AM   #163
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Really i just despise the person, dime86, who is also like ten other people on this forum. But i do hate the term"the nard" or "NARD'S" witch keeps being used by the asshole in ?. Also, i think its gotta believe too.

Mandy
Wow, your passion for the trite and insignificant is astounding. Really, I admire the energy you have to put into such meaningless issues. This trait surely will keep you from having to evolve into something that has to spend all that time thinking deeply, conversing intelligently, and so on. I mean really, who needs that responsibility.

Oh yeah, hypocrisy.
05-30-2006, 01:08 PM

As soon as i heard the chorus, i completely thoguht the exact same thing, 'cept sub melting with boiling. My itunes reads every other song play count at like 4 while this one is in the thirties. I cant get anough of it, for some reason. The more i listen to it, the more i think he is talking about status though. Kind of like the boiling pot of society.

"Who are you to wave your finger, you must have been out of your hair."

Your famous and rich so you can tell me what is wrong and right and treat me like a child, as a mother waves her finger at a littly kid.

"Eyehole deep in muddy water, you practically raised the dead."

Could be a million things, but the muddy could, like said, represent Katrina and how the administration is screwing up and screwing people so bad that everyone is getting pissed off. Including the dead.

"Rob the grave to snow the cradle and burn the evidence down."

Steal from the less wealthy to become more comfortable and hide the scandal thoroughly.

"Soapbox house of cards and glass, so dont go tossing your stones around."

The soapbox represents that it is a very wealthy place and is very clean and expensice. The house of cards and glass represent the actual administration and how fragile it is and on the brink of being overthrown if any more is done wrong, thus the dont toss your stones around.

"You must have been high."

Double ionterpretation. 1. Were you hitting the Mary Janes when you were doing this stuff.? It was that stupid. 2. Do you think your powerful enough to just do what ever you want and no one will care?

Same rebel bull every rockstar has preached forever, so i guess its probably wrong. Thats just my interp.

Also, everytime i listen to the song, i think the first line is out of your hair, not head. I hear a very strong "R" there. Maybe its just me.

Seriously people, first post so i dont have any authority, but seriously. Keep the flames to Pm's. This is some awesome stuff here, so why dont we try to stay on topic?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:08 PM   #164
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

As soon as i heard the chorus, i completely thoguht the exact same thing, 'cept sub melting with boiling. My itunes reads every other song play count at like 4 while this one is in the thirties. I cant get anough of it, for some reason. The more i listen to it, the more i think he is talking about status though. Kind of like the boiling pot of society.

"Who are you to wave your finger, you must have been out of your hair."

Your famous and rich so you can tell me what is wrong and right and treat me like a child, as a mother waves her finger at a littly kid.

"Eyehole deep in muddy water, you practically raised the dead."

Could be a million things, but the muddy could, like said, represent Katrina and how the administration is screwing up and screwing people so bad that everyone is getting pissed off. Including the dead.

"Rob the grave to snow the cradle and burn the evidence down."

Steal from the less wealthy to become more comfortable and hide the scandal thoroughly.

"Soapbox house of cards and glass, so dont go tossing your stones around."

The soapbox represents that it is a very wealthy place and is very clean and expensice. The house of cards and glass represent the actual administration and how fragile it is and on the brink of being overthrown if any more is done wrong, thus the dont toss your stones around.

"You must have been high."

Double ionterpretation. 1. Were you hitting the Mary Janes when you were doing this stuff.? It was that stupid. 2. Do you think your powerful enough to just do what ever you want and no one will care?

Same rebel bull every rockstar has preached forever, so i guess its probably wrong. Thats just my interp.

Also, everytime i listen to the song, i think the first line is out of your hair, not head. I hear a very strong "R" there. Maybe its just me.

Seriously people, first post so i dont have any authority, but seriously. Keep the flames to Pm's. This is some awesome stuff here, so why dont we try to stay on topic?
06-02-2006, 10:03 AM

I think it's pretty obvious, the name of this song, is short for the old saying 'Now thats the pot calling the kettle black'. Hence, why he even mentions a black kettle, and uses the word 'hypocrite'. It's 'the pot' calling the kettle black.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #165
Level 4 - Thinker

I think it's pretty obvious, the name of this song, is short for the old saying 'Now thats the pot calling the kettle black'. Hence, why he even mentions a black kettle, and uses the word 'hypocrite'. It's 'the pot' calling the kettle black.
06-02-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime86

Oh yeah, hypocrisy.

Like i said, CHOKE!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #166
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Oh yeah, hypocrisy.

Like i said, CHOKE!!!
trixie
06-10-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Like i said, CHOKE!!!

I love that you are so confused and paranoid.

And I forgive you for making up that little story about our special nite in Detroit.
If I were you, I'd be reaching this late in the game too.

Why did I feel the need to post? I don't know... call it a 'pet peeve' of mine that I don't appreciate stuck-up snobby people. The beauty of all of this is quite honestly.... you. The way you struck back and flipped out like a yapping chihuahua has given me more satisfaction than I could have ever asked for. I was actually kind of over this when Jon sent me that pm. But, then you came along and made it all worthwhile.

You talk about "weak people" but, the one who is weak is you Queen Nard.

PS Is it that hard to use spell check?
Old 06-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #167
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Like i said, CHOKE!!!

I love that you are so confused and paranoid.

And I forgive you for making up that little story about our special nite in Detroit.
If I were you, I'd be reaching this late in the game too.

Why did I feel the need to post? I don't know... call it a 'pet peeve' of mine that I don't appreciate stuck-up snobby people. The beauty of all of this is quite honestly.... you. The way you struck back and flipped out like a yapping chihuahua has given me more satisfaction than I could have ever asked for. I was actually kind of over this when Jon sent me that pm. But, then you came along and made it all worthwhile.

You talk about "weak people" but, the one who is weak is you Queen Nard.

PS Is it that hard to use spell check?
06-11-2006, 05:10 PM

I think, not know (just like everyone else here although some won't admit), the song has alot to do with pot, and alot to do with evrything else that recieves the same stupid treatment from not only our government, but every other government that behaves similarly, and also, the individuals under the control of their rexpective government. Also, we have no right waving our fingers at the government if we don't do anything to try and change it. "Kangaroo be stoned, he's guilty as the government"
Old 06-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #168
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I think, not know (just like everyone else here although some won't admit), the song has alot to do with pot, and alot to do with evrything else that recieves the same stupid treatment from not only our government, but every other government that behaves similarly, and also, the individuals under the control of their rexpective government. Also, we have no right waving our fingers at the government if we don't do anything to try and change it. "Kangaroo be stoned, he's guilty as the government"
Warartist's Avatar Warartist
06-12-2006, 12:03 PM

Oh trixie, OK, calm down child. It's alright you win, your right. I know how much you like being RIGHT! It should make your day:)
You are right, I'm a horrible person... A total piece of shit, The scum on the bottom of your high n mighty shoe. I kick puppies, I run over squirrels, I call fat people fat, fattie. I even steel candy from defenseless children.
So now that your right, your the captain of your own destiny, and the world is your oyster. DON'T EAT IT! And fucking be happy as you sit in judgment and know that every one is beneath you. Just try not to get too upset when we bitch every now and then because it is not pleasant baring the brunt of your burden.

P.S. If we ever meet again I will smile, and buy you a chili dog.:)

Mandy
Old 06-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #169
Level 7 - Loquacious

Oh trixie, OK, calm down child. It's alright you win, your right. I know how much you like being RIGHT! It should make your day:)
You are right, I'm a horrible person... A total piece of shit, The scum on the bottom of your high n mighty shoe. I kick puppies, I run over squirrels, I call fat people fat, fattie. I even steel candy from defenseless children.
So now that your right, your the captain of your own destiny, and the world is your oyster. DON'T EAT IT! And fucking be happy as you sit in judgment and know that every one is beneath you. Just try not to get too upset when we bitch every now and then because it is not pleasant baring the brunt of your burden.

Mandy
nafloot's Avatar nafloot
06-13-2006, 09:26 AM

My dad can kick your dads ass. Thats what these boards sink into sometimes. As others have mentioned I think the song is about hypocracy in America. Tool loves shoving that in people's face. Remeber "Hooker with a Penis"! The band loves to put several meanings into songs. Thats what makes them so great. I listen and hear something completely different then my friend does. All the great bands in history have made music with several meanings(messages). As for dogging the "newbies" for being what they are, speaking from a personal perspective of a person who has been a fan since Opiate, Tool is the one band that I don't get mad when other people discover them. You know what I mean, you hear this awesome band that not many people have heard of so you kind of discovered them (personally). Then more and more people hear and start liking them, so you get pissed that "your" band is famous. That sorta happened to me after Opiate was released. Turned all my friends on to the band, some got it some didn't, but I didn't get mad at the ones who did. To this day I spread TOOL to everyone I meet. One last thought before I go.......Remember the cries of the Carrots!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #170
Level 4 - Thinker

My dad can kick your dads ass. Thats what these boards sink into sometimes. As others have mentioned I think the song is about hypocracy in America. Tool loves shoving that in people's face. Remeber "Hooker with a Penis"! The band loves to put several meanings into songs. Thats what makes them so great. I listen and hear something completely different then my friend does. All the great bands in history have made music with several meanings(messages). As for dogging the "newbies" for being what they are, speaking from a personal perspective of a person who has been a fan since Opiate, Tool is the one band that I don't get mad when other people discover them. You know what I mean, you hear this awesome band that not many people have heard of so you kind of discovered them (personally). Then more and more people hear and start liking them, so you get pissed that "your" band is famous. That sorta happened to me after Opiate was released. Turned all my friends on to the band, some got it some didn't, but I didn't get mad at the ones who did. To this day I spread TOOL to everyone I meet. One last thought before I go.......Remember the cries of the Carrots!!!!
06-14-2006, 03:23 AM

No one picks on "newbies" just dummies.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:23 AM   #171
Level 7 - Loquacious

No one picks on "newbies" just dummies.
trixie
06-14-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Mandy

I'm impressed. Your punctuation and grammar have improved.
Your boyfriend really does love you to step up and write this for you.
Now, turn around and ask him which orifice of yours he most attracted to. I think its a safe bet that its all 3 and for the same reason. Considering what comes out of your mouth, it must be quite a relief for him to put things in it.

Last edited by trixie; 06-14-2006 at 08:40 AM..
Old 06-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #172
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Mandy

Now, turn around and ask him which orifice of yours he most attracted to. I think its a safe bet that its all 3 and for the same reason. Considering what comes out of your mouth, it must be quite a relief for him to put things in it.

Last edited by trixie; 06-14-2006 at 08:40 AM..
06-15-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie
Now, turn around and ask him which orifice of yours he('s) most attracted to. I think its a safe bet that its all 3 and for the same reason. Considering what comes out of your mouth, it must be quite a relief for him to put things in it.
I put that S on for you, don't want you to look to ridiculous talking shit about my type-Os having one your self. No Trixie my fiancé didn't type anything for me. He thinks it's silly I still bother with you but I thoroughly enjoy our chats. I've grown quite fond of you actually, witch is why I'm trying to bury the hatchet. Obviously my admittance of wrong doing and apology does nothing for you though. I know how about I upgrade that chili dog to a foot long? Would that make you smile? You don't have to be jealous, I'll buy you a foot long and you can have something big enough to stuff your hole with too.

So, what do you say Trixie?.... Truce?........Cant we just be friends?

Last edited by Warartist; 06-15-2006 at 10:19 AM..
Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #173
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Now, turn around and ask him which orifice of yours he('s) most attracted to. I think its a safe bet that its all 3 and for the same reason. Considering what comes out of your mouth, it must be quite a relief for him to put things in it.
I put that S on for you, don't want you to look to ridiculous talking shit about my type-Os having one your self. No Trixie my fiancé didn't type anything for me. He thinks it's silly I still bother with you but I thoroughly enjoy our chats. I've grown quite fond of you actually, witch is why I'm trying to bury the hatchet. Obviously my admittance of wrong doing and apology does nothing for you though. I know how about I upgrade that chili dog to a foot long? Would that make you smile? You don't have to be jealous, I'll buy you a foot long and you can have something big enough to stuff your hole with too.

Last edited by Warartist; 06-15-2006 at 10:19 AM..
trixie
06-16-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
I put that S on for you, don't want you to look to ridiculous talking shit about my type-Os having one your self. No() Trixie() my fiancé didn't type anything for me. He thinks it's silly I still bother with you but I thoroughly enjoy our chats. I've grown quite fond of you actually, (witch) is why I'm trying to bury the hatchet. Obviously() my admittance of wrong doing and apology does nothing for you though. I know() how about I upgrade that chili dog to a foot long? Would that make you smile? You don't have to be jealous, I'll buy you a foot long and you can have something big enough to stuff your hole with too.

That's so cute how you are trying to copy me. Here's your test for tomorrow. Fill in the parentheses with the appropriate spelling and punctuation. For added points, time yourself. By the way, it sounds like Jon is embarrassed by your posts. Piece of advice for your relationship. Looks fade sweetheart but, stupid is forever.

Hmmmm..... friends with someone who is unstable? Do I want to be friends with someone who snaps so easily that they would want to physically fight over words on the internet? Omg, the post where you lost it screaming I HATE YOU was the best. Really. Someone who gives backhanded apologies? Someone who has clearly no originality beyond 8th grade. (your fat and everyone wants to fuck me and not you so THERE!) Hmmmmm...... how about this? How about you seek some serious therapy for your immaturity and emotional instability? Seriously, if these are the kind of responses you have to offer..... I say that drug use really does stunt your emotional growth.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:15 AM   #174
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I put that S on for you, don't want you to look to ridiculous talking shit about my type-Os having one your self. No() Trixie() my fiancé didn't type anything for me. He thinks it's silly I still bother with you but I thoroughly enjoy our chats. I've grown quite fond of you actually, (witch) is why I'm trying to bury the hatchet. Obviously() my admittance of wrong doing and apology does nothing for you though. I know() how about I upgrade that chili dog to a foot long? Would that make you smile? You don't have to be jealous, I'll buy you a foot long and you can have something big enough to stuff your hole with too.

That's so cute how you are trying to copy me. Here's your test for tomorrow. Fill in the parentheses with the appropriate spelling and punctuation. For added points, time yourself. By the way, it sounds like Jon is embarrassed by your posts. Piece of advice for your relationship. Looks fade sweetheart but, stupid is forever.

Hmmmm..... friends with someone who is unstable? Do I want to be friends with someone who snaps so easily that they would want to physically fight over words on the internet? Omg, the post where you lost it screaming I HATE YOU was the best. Really. Someone who gives backhanded apologies? Someone who has clearly no originality beyond 8th grade. (your fat and everyone wants to fuck me and not you so THERE!) Hmmmmm...... how about this? How about you seek some serious therapy for your immaturity and emotional instability? Seriously, if these are the kind of responses you have to offer..... I say that drug use really does stunt your emotional growth.
06-16-2006, 03:18 PM

Good god what a childish waste of space. Where are the moderators?
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
Old 06-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #175
Level 7 - Loquacious

Good god what a childish waste of space. Where are the moderators?
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
06-16-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:

, , , , , ,,,,,, ,,,, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,. You know(, )it is possible to over use commas. Yep(,) they teach you that way be for 8th grade. This of course is the only reason I know:)
So(,) are you seriously soooo ridiculously stuck up that you actually believe you have invented your own posting style? Anyone can be good with sarcasm Trixie. Really.
Jonathan has no reason to be embarrassed(,)nor is he. Yes (,) he thinks it's pointless. Yes(,) it is in fact pointless. I just think it's funny that I can say something and get you to come crawling out of your hole so quickly. I mean of all your retarded post's maybe like 2 aren't directed at me..... Thats hilarious! What do you do all day? Do you sit around waiting for me to say something? Is this your only form of entertainment? You(,) Trixie(,) are the drama queen. Your the one tangled at the end of MY leash. MY puppet.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret OK"," WHEN YOU TYPE LIKE THIS YOU DON'T REALLY HAVE TO YELL. It's not literal(,) it's just to get the point across. Get it? Oh, never mind.
The apology Trixie(,) was meant to be sarcastic.... You should know that since I stole sarcasm from you. Duh. Of course I don't want to be friends(,)I still HATE YOU!
"your fat and every body wants to fuck me and not you". Is that how that came out? Well(,) that is pretty much what this boils down to right? Who's nuts are bigger. right? Thats why you started this hole thing. Be it spite(,) jealousy(,) (which looks horrible on you) or retardation. Things like this started on internet chat rooms (I would say especially when carried over from life outside the computer) are started by weaker life forms that didn't have the balls to say "hey(,) I'm better than you" in person. You know that there is no consequence to your stupidity here.
Its OK(,) thats just how people like you opperate.... Is it working for you? do you feel like a bigger person yet? No.

Ya(,) I'll keep that therapy thing in mind buddy. I'm always up for a little emotional growth. Maybe you should try it out too. You know(,) for that compulsive lying problem you have. Ha... 8 years sobriety my fucking ass...... How old are you?

So how was that? Does this satisfy the grammar police?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #176
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

, , , , , ,,,,,, ,,,, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,. You know(, )it is possible to over use commas. Yep(,) they teach you that way be for 8th grade. This of course is the only reason I know:)
So(,) are you seriously soooo ridiculously stuck up that you actually believe you have invented your own posting style? Anyone can be good with sarcasm Trixie. Really.
Jonathan has no reason to be embarrassed(,)nor is he. Yes (,) he thinks it's pointless. Yes(,) it is in fact pointless. I just think it's funny that I can say something and get you to come crawling out of your hole so quickly. I mean of all your retarded post's maybe like 2 aren't directed at me..... Thats hilarious! What do you do all day? Do you sit around waiting for me to say something? Is this your only form of entertainment? You(,) Trixie(,) are the drama queen. Your the one tangled at the end of MY leash. MY puppet.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret OK"," WHEN YOU TYPE LIKE THIS YOU DON'T REALLY HAVE TO YELL. It's not literal(,) it's just to get the point across. Get it? Oh, never mind.
The apology Trixie(,) was meant to be sarcastic.... You should know that since I stole sarcasm from you. Duh. Of course I don't want to be friends(,)I still HATE YOU!
"your fat and every body wants to fuck me and not you". Is that how that came out? Well(,) that is pretty much what this boils down to right? Who's nuts are bigger. right? Thats why you started this hole thing. Be it spite(,) jealousy(,) (which looks horrible on you) or retardation. Things like this started on internet chat rooms (I would say especially when carried over from life outside the computer) are started by weaker life forms that didn't have the balls to say "hey(,) I'm better than you" in person. You know that there is no consequence to your stupidity here.
Its OK(,) thats just how people like you opperate.... Is it working for you? do you feel like a bigger person yet? No.

Ya(,) I'll keep that therapy thing in mind buddy. I'm always up for a little emotional growth. Maybe you should try it out too. You know(,) for that compulsive lying problem you have. Ha... 8 years sobriety my fucking ass...... How old are you?

So how was that? Does this satisfy the grammar police?
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
06-16-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
someone should make a video for this song using various news clips of bush being embarrased or having that stupified look on his face during the "you musta been sooo hiiiigh" parts, katrina clips in the "muddy waters" parts, and iraq war stuff for the "you must have been outcho mind" parts and such

i bet it would be pretty awesome
It WOULD be funny and it would also be really easy to do the same thing with OUR Prime Minister (in Australia) who is equally hypocritical (and after all there is an Aussie theme with those kangaroos hopping about throughout the song).

And I also really like Nebadon205's idea about New Orleans - its very clever. By the way, there have been lots of studies about our first waking thoughts, perhaps this should be a lesson to take more notice of them.

Last edited by HelenA; 06-17-2006 at 07:15 PM..
Old 06-16-2006, 11:45 PM   #177
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
someone should make a video for this song using various news clips of bush being embarrased or having that stupified look on his face during the "you musta been sooo hiiiigh" parts, katrina clips in the "muddy waters" parts, and iraq war stuff for the "you must have been outcho mind" parts and such

i bet it would be pretty awesome
It WOULD be funny and it would also be really easy to do the same thing with OUR Prime Minister (in Australia) who is equally hypocritical (and after all there is an Aussie theme with those kangaroos hopping about throughout the song).

And I also really like Nebadon205's idea about New Orleans - its very clever. By the way, there have been lots of studies about our first waking thoughts, perhaps this should be a lesson to take more notice of them.

Last edited by HelenA; 06-17-2006 at 07:15 PM..
jack's ennui's Avatar jack's ennui
06-27-2006, 04:53 PM

this song is about hypocracy plain and simple. i thunk the reason that maynard brings pot into this whole picture is because, everyone blames stoners for being lazy apathetic, because everyone knows, that they're the only lazy ones.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #178
Level 7 - Loquacious

this song is about hypocracy plain and simple. i thunk the reason that maynard brings pot into this whole picture is because, everyone blames stoners for being lazy apathetic, because everyone knows, that they're the only lazy ones.
06-29-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack's ennui
No. It's about hypocrasy, plain and simple. Not about stoners.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:54 AM   #179
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack's ennui
dime86's Avatar dime86
06-29-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
I think that was laced with sarcasm.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:46 AM   #180
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
I think that was laced with sarcasm.
06-29-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I think that was laced with cocaine.
that's better
Old 06-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #181
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 297

Quote:
I think that was laced with cocaine.
that's better
07-04-2006, 05:36 AM

I think this song doesn't mean like telling that this guy is a hypocrite, but calling the people hypocrites that call other people hypocrites, so the whole "who are you to wave your finger?" thing is irony. Because if you think someone is a hypocrite, you shouldn't scream it out loud and doing the same stupid stuff like he does, you should actually calm down, I think that's the message of this song, not just pure anger. "Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity, calculate what we will or will not tolerate".

But then again Maynard talked in interviews about "the pot calling the kettle black" seriously, so he WAS calling people just hypocrites without irony.

Gah, I don't know.

Last edited by Terry21; 07-04-2006 at 05:39 AM..
Old 07-04-2006, 05:36 AM   #182
Level 8 - Vociferous

I think this song doesn't mean like telling that this guy is a hypocrite, but calling the people hypocrites that call other people hypocrites, so the whole "who are you to wave your finger?" thing is irony. Because if you think someone is a hypocrite, you shouldn't scream it out loud and doing the same stupid stuff like he does, you should actually calm down, I think that's the message of this song, not just pure anger. "Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity, calculate what we will or will not tolerate".

But then again Maynard talked in interviews about "the pot calling the kettle black" seriously, so he WAS calling people just hypocrites without irony.

Gah, I don't know.

Last edited by Terry21; 07-04-2006 at 05:39 AM..
ObiJohnKenobi's Avatar ObiJohnKenobi
08-05-2006, 10:55 PM

i want more of the mandy and trixie show...

by the way, ever notice how rife this song is with clichés?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #183
Banned.

Bincount™: 3532

i want more of the mandy and trixie show...

by the way, ever notice how rife this song is with clichés?
wesho(t)hefucke(r)ight??
08-07-2006, 03:28 PM

the tossing stones reference at the beginning could help alot in the (american, goverment idea). that line seems to me to convey placing blame around you instead of accepting it yourself, soemthing america has done a lot of in recent years
Old 08-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #184
On Probation

the tossing stones reference at the beginning could help alot in the (american, goverment idea). that line seems to me to convey placing blame around you instead of accepting it yourself, soemthing america has done a lot of in recent years
Denots_a_Tesor's Avatar Denots_a_Tesor
09-07-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungflowers View Post
Maynard uses an interesting way to play on words.

This song is about the good ol' USA, in general...and not a specific f*ck up this country has commited. The titles is just missing one word - Melting. Maynard is talking about the The great melting pot.

This country has waved its finger at many countries, justified or not.

We must've been high to do all these things.

Killing the indians (pissing on my black kettle)
Eyballs deep in muddy water (the Cuntrina ordeal)
Kangarooed (Gitmo, secret prisons, wire tapping)

I won't elaborate further, thats for you to do.

That my friend is the shit,that in my own opinion is why Maynards the poop,seriously they can use this song as an IQ test and anyone that says this is a anti marijuana song should be lured in a pool full of man eating piranhas.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #185
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungflowers View Post
Maynard uses an interesting way to play on words.

This song is about the good ol' USA, in general...and not a specific f*ck up this country has commited. The titles is just missing one word - Melting. Maynard is talking about the The great melting pot.

This country has waved its finger at many countries, justified or not.

We must've been high to do all these things.

Killing the indians (pissing on my black kettle)
Eyballs deep in muddy water (the Cuntrina ordeal)
Kangarooed (Gitmo, secret prisons, wire tapping)

I won't elaborate further, thats for you to do.

That my friend is the shit,that in my own opinion is why Maynards the poop,seriously they can use this song as an IQ test and anyone that says this is a anti marijuana song should be lured in a pool full of man eating piranhas.
Starscream1983
09-18-2006, 08:50 PM

It could be that maynard is just alluding to how this county, "the land of the free", is becoming less and less free. By drug control and what not, patriot act ect. The pot is referring to the melting pot of the world. And when he says "pissed on my black kettle", he is also referring to the melting pot. The loose if any use of weed comments in the song are in reference to those that piss on the american way of life, EG freedom. Whether they be the government, terrorists, or other nations. Then he says you must have been HIGH... which is another way of saying that those pissing on the freedoms and rights, founded by our fore fathers and deservingly applicable to all humans not just americans, were out of there mind. I think that the song is political in intention but makes vague allusions to drugs to further the meaning of said song.
IMHO. But it doesn't really matter because the song is amazing.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:50 PM   #186
Level 2 - Poster

It could be that maynard is just alluding to how this county, "the land of the free", is becoming less and less free. By drug control and what not, patriot act ect. The pot is referring to the melting pot of the world. And when he says "pissed on my black kettle", he is also referring to the melting pot. The loose if any use of weed comments in the song are in reference to those that piss on the american way of life, EG freedom. Whether they be the government, terrorists, or other nations. Then he says you must have been HIGH... which is another way of saying that those pissing on the freedoms and rights, founded by our fore fathers and deservingly applicable to all humans not just americans, were out of there mind. I think that the song is political in intention but makes vague allusions to drugs to further the meaning of said song.
IMHO. But it doesn't really matter because the song is amazing.
hicksfan
09-20-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beligerentfokker View Post
maybe not directly, but possible it was inspired by this story.......

link posted below... maybe this shed's some light on the meaning.. hmmm

http://www.loompanics.com/cgi-local/...html?E+scstore

Pot Activist Railroaded By Kangaroo Court
I definitely think you're on to something here, hypocrisy abounds in this instance and the play on words is just too cohesive between the general and specific topics. If not this exact instance, I still believe it reflects some facet of the "war on drugs".

Nice post!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #187
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beligerentfokker View Post
maybe not directly, but possible it was inspired by this story.......

link posted below... maybe this shed's some light on the meaning.. hmmm

http://www.loompanics.com/cgi-local/...html?E+scstore

Pot Activist Railroaded By Kangaroo Court
I definitely think you're on to something here, hypocrisy abounds in this instance and the play on words is just too cohesive between the general and specific topics. If not this exact instance, I still believe it reflects some facet of the "war on drugs".

Nice post!
poopu's Avatar poopu
09-22-2006, 03:35 PM

lyrics just released.....

looks like we were all close....we missed cozened indigo...ah ha...

Latest news: 22 September, 2006
10,000 DAYS LYRICS FOR "THE POT"
THE POT

who are you to wave your finger? you musta been outta your head.
eye hole deep in muddy waters. You practically raised the dead.
rob the grave to snow the cradle then burn the evidence down.
soap box house of cards and glass so don't go tossin' your stones around.

you musta been high

foot in mouth and head up ass, so watcha talking bout?
difficult to dance round this one till you pull it out. boy

you musta been so high.

steal, borrow, refer, save your shady inference.
kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent.

now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo. (musta) got lemon juice
up in your eye when you pissed all over my black kettle.

you musta been high.

who are you to wave your finger? so full of it.
eye balls deep in muddy waters. fuckin hypocrite.
liar, lawyer, mirror show me. what's the difference?
kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent.

you musta been high.

So who are you to wave your finger?
who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me?
you must have been outta your mind.
Weepin shades of indigo.

liar, lawyer, mirror for ya. what's the difference?
kangaroo be stoned. he's guilty as the government.

you musta been high.

eye balls deep in muddy waters.
you're balls deep in muddy waters.
Ganja, please, you must have been outta your mind.

WORDS BY MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN
[see all news]
Old 09-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #188
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 22

lyrics just released.....

looks like we were all close....we missed cozened indigo...ah ha...

Latest news: 22 September, 2006
10,000 DAYS LYRICS FOR "THE POT"
THE POT

who are you to wave your finger? you musta been outta your head.
eye hole deep in muddy waters. You practically raised the dead.
rob the grave to snow the cradle then burn the evidence down.
soap box house of cards and glass so don't go tossin' your stones around.

you musta been high

foot in mouth and head up ass, so watcha talking bout?
difficult to dance round this one till you pull it out. boy

you musta been so high.

steal, borrow, refer, save your shady inference.
kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent.

you musta been high.

who are you to wave your finger? so full of it.
eye balls deep in muddy waters. fuckin hypocrite.
liar, lawyer, mirror show me. what's the difference?
kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent.

you musta been high.

So who are you to wave your finger?
who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me?
you must have been outta your mind.
Weepin shades of indigo.

liar, lawyer, mirror for ya. what's the difference?
kangaroo be stoned. he's guilty as the government.

you musta been high.

eye balls deep in muddy waters.
you're balls deep in muddy waters.
Ganja, please, you must have been outta your mind.

WORDS BY MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN
[see all news]
poopu's Avatar poopu
09-22-2006, 04:01 PM

LOL!!!! ha ha this is great!

coz·en Pronunciation (kzn)
v. coz·ened, coz·en·ing, coz·ens
v.tr.
1. To mislead by means of a petty trick or fraud; deceive.
2. To persuade or induce to do something by cajoling or wheedling.
3. To obtain by deceit or persuasion.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cozened
Old 09-22-2006, 04:01 PM   #189
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

LOL!!!! ha ha this is great!

coz·en Pronunciation (kzn)
v. coz·ened, coz·en·ing, coz·ens
v.tr.
1. To mislead by means of a petty trick or fraud; deceive.
2. To persuade or induce to do something by cajoling or wheedling.
3. To obtain by deceit or persuasion.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cozened
benjamin's Avatar benjamin
09-22-2006, 10:23 PM

it figures...missing line, "Shed without a reason."??
Old 09-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #190
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

09-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post

where's that go...

I am on a 10,000 days diet this week.... ;-)
Old 09-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #191
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post

where's that go...

Terry21's Avatar Terry21
09-23-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopu View Post
where's that go...

I've been on one for months and will be until December.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #192
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopu View Post
where's that go...

I've been on one for months and will be until December.
mike the colorist
09-29-2006, 10:59 PM

dosen't maynrd promote the use of drugs in the third eye song on the aenima cd becouse it has opend the mind of those who have gone there.
"lier loyer mirror for you whats the differince". lyer loyer mirror guilty as the government. could it be that he is calling the government hypocrits! think about that one.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #193
Level 1 - Lurker

dosen't maynrd promote the use of drugs in the third eye song on the aenima cd becouse it has opend the mind of those who have gone there.
"lier loyer mirror for you whats the differince". lyer loyer mirror guilty as the government. could it be that he is calling the government hypocrits! think about that one.
ISITWA
09-30-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth View Post
well i think the marijuana reference is intentional.. i don't think the song is "about" weed per se, but it's definitely alluded to.
what in the world this songs is all about the weed whats worng with you guys.

The song is about the son of man during our time aka the two witnesses and the son of man always gets high because he loves mary jane.

so the song is about the second coming of christ or the last prophet of man kind and all he does is get high all day.

do you guy no what this means its very holy its kinda like movin a moutain with ones faith.

eye hole deep in muddy waters

muddy waters repersents the faithful. you can turn muddy water into drinking water through the faith in your eye

Last edited by ISITWA; 09-30-2006 at 03:51 PM..
Old 09-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #194
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth View Post
well i think the marijuana reference is intentional.. i don't think the song is "about" weed per se, but it's definitely alluded to.
what in the world this songs is all about the weed whats worng with you guys.

The song is about the son of man during our time aka the two witnesses and the son of man always gets high because he loves mary jane.

so the song is about the second coming of christ or the last prophet of man kind and all he does is get high all day.

do you guy no what this means its very holy its kinda like movin a moutain with ones faith.

eye hole deep in muddy waters

muddy waters repersents the faithful. you can turn muddy water into drinking water through the faith in your eye

Last edited by ISITWA; 09-30-2006 at 03:51 PM..
fretforyourfigure462's Avatar fretforyourfigure462
10-21-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertUniformity View Post
anyone remember the guitarworld interview? adam said its the pot calling the kettle black

Never saw it. But that makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:44 AM   #195
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertUniformity View Post
anyone remember the guitarworld interview? adam said its the pot calling the kettle black

Never saw it. But that makes a lot of sense.
10-21-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21 View Post
I think this song doesn't mean like telling that this guy is a hypocrite, but calling the people hypocrites that call other people hypocrites,
Alteast the song wasnt called Hypocrites.

So the kettle is not made of iron? or is the pot? I guess i am too high, this is a great song about pot.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #196
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1725

Quote:
I think this song doesn't mean like telling that this guy is a hypocrite, but calling the people hypocrites that call other people hypocrites,
Alteast the song wasnt called Hypocrites.

So the kettle is not made of iron? or is the pot? I guess i am too high, this is a great song about pot.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
10-21-2006, 05:53 PM

Are you serious?
Old 10-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #197
Level 8 - Vociferous

Are you serious?
14thDosage
10-22-2006, 12:25 PM

So now that we know "ganja" is in the lyrics, is there still anyone that agrees with the thread title?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #198
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

So now that we know "ganja" is in the lyrics, is there still anyone that agrees with the thread title?
El Shaggy's Avatar El Shaggy
10-23-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Are you serious?
I wasn't sure if i needed sarcasm tags or not, lol. but 14thDoseage hit it on the head. To say Marijuana is non-existant in the song is just silly.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #199
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1725

Quote:
Are you serious?
I wasn't sure if i needed sarcasm tags or not, lol. but 14thDoseage hit it on the head. To say Marijuana is non-existant in the song is just silly.
mjkajdcjc's Avatar mjkajdcjc
11-06-2006, 07:08 PM

Glad someone here thinks this. It's not ABOUT pot, but yeah, it would be stupid to say he's never talking about pot in the song.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #200
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3208

Glad someone here thinks this. It's not ABOUT pot, but yeah, it would be stupid to say he's never talking about pot in the song.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply