Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
thirdeye2012
05-02-2006, 10:47 AM

^^I dont want to upset anyone, but i think that i heard that too. That means 2 people said they heard the same thing = it MUST be true.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: This song has nothing to do with Marijuana.

^^I dont want to upset anyone, but i think that i heard that too. That means 2 people said they heard the same thing = it MUST be true.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-02-2006, 02:23 PM

its all double meanings, pot, meaning marijuana "you must have been high"
pot calling the kettle black "piss all over my black kettle"
"foot in mouth, head up ass" u couldnt talk if u do either, and u'd look stupid but the turns f phrase get used so much
i doubt ita baout the melting pot
also i belive there was one historical case of a kangaroo going to court ,or something along those lines.
possibly has reference to bush, more than likely

i'm not sure its ganja police, could be, would make sense, iraq, home of opium and marijuana, i usppose bush and his administration were gnaja police

i'm listening to the song while i write this and my mind keeps changing fairly ambiguous really, i dont think they guy was right about the melting pit, all seems a bit pretentious to me
Old 05-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

its all double meanings, pot, meaning marijuana "you must have been high"
pot calling the kettle black "piss all over my black kettle"
"foot in mouth, head up ass" u couldnt talk if u do either, and u'd look stupid but the turns f phrase get used so much
i doubt ita baout the melting pot
also i belive there was one historical case of a kangaroo going to court ,or something along those lines.
possibly has reference to bush, more than likely

i'm not sure its ganja police, could be, would make sense, iraq, home of opium and marijuana, i usppose bush and his administration were gnaja police

i'm listening to the song while i write this and my mind keeps changing fairly ambiguous really, i dont think they guy was right about the melting pit, all seems a bit pretentious to me
05-02-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner
i hear (it's) not your place.
this is what i hear too.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #43
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner
i hear (it's) not your place.
this is what i hear too.
fallenxruby
05-02-2006, 06:47 PM

maynard is just fantastic. he must read our silly quests to understanding his music and laugh it up. just the title of "the pot" makes it hard to place the meaning on any one of those interpretations...being pot (marijuana), the MELTING pot, and being the pot that calls the kettle black. it is still awkward on its own for each of those connotations. i just love it. "liar, lawyer, mirror for you...what's the difference? he's as guilty as the government." hahaha. it's just so funny.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

maynard is just fantastic. he must read our silly quests to understanding his music and laugh it up. just the title of "the pot" makes it hard to place the meaning on any one of those interpretations...being pot (marijuana), the MELTING pot, and being the pot that calls the kettle black. it is still awkward on its own for each of those connotations. i just love it. "liar, lawyer, mirror for you...what's the difference? he's as guilty as the government." hahaha. it's just so funny.
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-03-2006, 05:51 AM

i'm write on the pot calling the kettle black, cos there such an obvious refernce in there.
so the liar/lawyer lines sum tha tup perfectly, being guilty as the government and that, the lawyer is the pot calling the kettle of the governemtn black, seee what i mean.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:51 AM   #45

i'm write on the pot calling the kettle black, cos there such an obvious refernce in there.
so the liar/lawyer lines sum tha tup perfectly, being guilty as the government and that, the lawyer is the pot calling the kettle of the governemtn black, seee what i mean.
05-03-2006, 05:52 AM

sorry it appears i cant spell
Old 05-03-2006, 05:52 AM   #46

sorry it appears i cant spell
05-03-2006, 12:15 PM

I just don't see where people are getting this melting pot idea from.

I feel the song is about hypocricy, plain and simple.

There are a lot of double meaning in the lyrics but not all of the lyrics have double meanings.

Tool really doesnt make blatantly political songs so stop saying the song is about Bush or oil. Why would Maynard bring that shit into Tool when thats what APC has been doing. You see? it makes no sense.
Seperate what Maynard does for Tool from APC, b/c APC is most likely much more of a collaborative effort with Billy Howardel as far as lyrics go.

And for the sake of all that is unholy will you people look up the term
"Kangaroo Court" before you post another stupid inference about kangaroos.
Seriously. Wikipedi. It takes 2 minutes.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I just don't see where people are getting this melting pot idea from.

I feel the song is about hypocricy, plain and simple.

There are a lot of double meaning in the lyrics but not all of the lyrics have double meanings.

Tool really doesnt make blatantly political songs so stop saying the song is about Bush or oil. Why would Maynard bring that shit into Tool when thats what APC has been doing. You see? it makes no sense.
Seperate what Maynard does for Tool from APC, b/c APC is most likely much more of a collaborative effort with Billy Howardel as far as lyrics go.

And for the sake of all that is unholy will you people look up the term
"Kangaroo Court" before you post another stupid inference about kangaroos.
Seriously. Wikipedi. It takes 2 minutes.
T-13h's Avatar T-13h
05-03-2006, 12:16 PM

This song is about American impreialism.

And oil.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #48
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 911

This song is about American impreialism.

And oil.
05-03-2006, 02:47 PM

"ganja police" is retarded.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

"ganja police" is retarded.
elburritobandito
05-03-2006, 02:48 PM

... and this song is obviously about fondue.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #50
Level 3 - Talker

UnoriginalOne
05-03-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburritobandito
Quoted for truth.
everything is nothing.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #51
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Quoted for truth.
everything is nothing.
rtisovec
05-03-2006, 06:10 PM

the balls deep in muddy water, if the song is thought to be political, could be a reference to New Orleans and hurricane Katrina.. Per haps claiming that Bush thinks he can do all these miracles, but here are all the realities and how he fucked them up- you must have been high -- when you did this, or that
Old 05-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

the balls deep in muddy water, if the song is thought to be political, could be a reference to New Orleans and hurricane Katrina.. Per haps claiming that Bush thinks he can do all these miracles, but here are all the realities and how he fucked them up- you must have been high -- when you did this, or that
peolesdru
05-03-2006, 08:37 PM

Always such an entertainment when people on the one hand argue that "Maynard wouldn't be obvious" and then turn around and say "Maynard is talking about <insert writer's favorite bashee here>" So the song is only about weed on the surface (which I buy) but is *really* about the dirty rotten evil hypocritical USA. Now this song's onion layers may very well end there, but this habit is especially evident in the Right in Two thread, where posters go to positively herculean efforts to take a song relating to the human condition in general and apply it to "Chimpy McBushitler" and Iraq. Sometimes a song can be more of a Rorschach than a specific message. I'm really looking forward to 2008 so I can find out what liberals believe in other than "the opposite of whatever Bush believes in" - it should be illuminating.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

Always such an entertainment when people on the one hand argue that "Maynard wouldn't be obvious" and then turn around and say "Maynard is talking about <insert writer's favorite bashee here>" So the song is only about weed on the surface (which I buy) but is *really* about the dirty rotten evil hypocritical USA. Now this song's onion layers may very well end there, but this habit is especially evident in the Right in Two thread, where posters go to positively herculean efforts to take a song relating to the human condition in general and apply it to "Chimpy McBushitler" and Iraq. Sometimes a song can be more of a Rorschach than a specific message. I'm really looking forward to 2008 so I can find out what liberals believe in other than "the opposite of whatever Bush believes in" - it should be illuminating.
Luosdasa's Avatar Luosdasa
05-04-2006, 12:23 AM

Certainelty more than the surface meaning of "the pot". The hypocracy of the American gov. is obviously attacked, but perhaps other Governments supporting Bush are as well. Does the reference to "kangaroo" perhaps have anything to do with the Oz gov.?

Id love it if maynard was taking a shot at our esteemed, ass licking excuse for a prime minister... or am i just talking with my head up my ass hole?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #54
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Certainelty more than the surface meaning of "the pot". The hypocracy of the American gov. is obviously attacked, but perhaps other Governments supporting Bush are as well. Does the reference to "kangaroo" perhaps have anything to do with the Oz gov.?

Id love it if maynard was taking a shot at our esteemed, ass licking excuse for a prime minister... or am i just talking with my head up my ass hole?
11Reflections11's Avatar 11Reflections11
05-04-2006, 12:52 AM

The title has multiple ambiguous meanings, no?

Favorite line in this song : Soapbox house of cards and glass, so don't be tossin' your stones around.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #55
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Favorite line in this song : Soapbox house of cards and glass, so don't be tossin' your stones around.
Bane
05-04-2006, 05:41 AM

ok I've just listened to this song for the first time (awesome btw), and as far as the whole "ganja police" thing goes, I'd say it's this: all thru the song he's saying "you must've been high", then at the last line he says "you must been out your mind"...so I think he's saying something more like "Ganja? Puh-lease! You must been out your mind!". Sounds about right to me
And as for the whole kangaroo thing, I'm pretty sure there have been no kangaroos involved in hangings thus far. Do what someone has already suggested and look up "kangaroo court", you might think of something better
Cheers for the new album
Old 05-04-2006, 05:41 AM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

ok I've just listened to this song for the first time (awesome btw), and as far as the whole "ganja police" thing goes, I'd say it's this: all thru the song he's saying "you must've been high", then at the last line he says "you must been out your mind"...so I think he's saying something more like "Ganja? Puh-lease! You must been out your mind!". Sounds about right to me
And as for the whole kangaroo thing, I'm pretty sure there have been no kangaroos involved in hangings thus far. Do what someone has already suggested and look up "kangaroo court", you might think of something better
Cheers for the new album
third_eye77's Avatar third_eye77
05-04-2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitlessLiar
Disclaimer - I haven't heard the song so maybe the lyrics might prove me wrong.

That being said, pot refers to an actual pot. The second meaning (marijuana) is probably being used to say that whoever's doing it must be high to think that his/her action can be justified.

The pot comes from the saying "the pot calling the tea kettle black" or whatever, which is an analogy for people that talk negatively about a trait or something someone posesses whilst the speaker themselves posesses that same trait.

In an interview, Adam also said revealed the line "who are you to wave the finger?" which is pretty much supporting the notioned aforementioned. I don't think the word pot has anything to do with native americans (or indians as you called them).

I also don't think that the pot has anything to do with america from what I've heard so far, but if the lyrics do tell stuff like that then you might be right, which would be a great use of words by MJK (triple meaning...).
To me, this sounds more like a Maynard thought. Seems like hypocricy would be a much more "toolish" song subject rather than takin' a stab at Bush. Sounds like the correct interpretation to me.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:21 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitlessLiar
Disclaimer - I haven't heard the song so maybe the lyrics might prove me wrong.

That being said, pot refers to an actual pot. The second meaning (marijuana) is probably being used to say that whoever's doing it must be high to think that his/her action can be justified.

The pot comes from the saying "the pot calling the tea kettle black" or whatever, which is an analogy for people that talk negatively about a trait or something someone posesses whilst the speaker themselves posesses that same trait.

In an interview, Adam also said revealed the line "who are you to wave the finger?" which is pretty much supporting the notioned aforementioned. I don't think the word pot has anything to do with native americans (or indians as you called them).

I also don't think that the pot has anything to do with america from what I've heard so far, but if the lyrics do tell stuff like that then you might be right, which would be a great use of words by MJK (triple meaning...).
To me, this sounds more like a Maynard thought. Seems like hypocricy would be a much more "toolish" song subject rather than takin' a stab at Bush. Sounds like the correct interpretation to me.
DontTreadOnMe
05-04-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Reflections11

Agreed - great line.

Anyway, everyone else's take is here so I'll toss in my 2 pennies. I think, yes, the general theme is "hypocrisy", standard "pot calling the kettle black". That was the impression I got before I even heard the song/read the lyrics, strictly just from the title.

The "kangaroo court" reference was obvious to me, too. This one can go paired with the drug war or the war on terror. Sadly, it works in either context.

The "kangaroo be stoned/he's guilty as the government" line is interesting. I'm thinking that the guy that wastes his time only doing drugs and nothing productive is as bad as the police that want to put him away for doing them. Someone else something to that end above, and I think that's probably accurate - makes the song more multi-dimensional than just blaming one side of the equation.

The "chosen indigo/lemon juice" line has got me, though. I think henna is made with the two, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, so I won't even try to speculate, but if someone has an idea, I'll hear it.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Reflections11

Agreed - great line.

Anyway, everyone else's take is here so I'll toss in my 2 pennies. I think, yes, the general theme is "hypocrisy", standard "pot calling the kettle black". That was the impression I got before I even heard the song/read the lyrics, strictly just from the title.

The "kangaroo court" reference was obvious to me, too. This one can go paired with the drug war or the war on terror. Sadly, it works in either context.

The "kangaroo be stoned/he's guilty as the government" line is interesting. I'm thinking that the guy that wastes his time only doing drugs and nothing productive is as bad as the police that want to put him away for doing them. Someone else something to that end above, and I think that's probably accurate - makes the song more multi-dimensional than just blaming one side of the equation.

The "chosen indigo/lemon juice" line has got me, though. I think henna is made with the two, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, so I won't even try to speculate, but if someone has an idea, I'll hear it.
xineax
05-04-2006, 02:20 PM

I think this song has multiple meanings/allusions--it's along the same stream as Vicarious. Has anyone noticed that some of the lyrics could be about the whole Michael Jackson pedophilia thing? I think it would be funny. The vocals at some point just seem to be a comical impersonation of Jackson.

[copied from the lyrics post so they might not be accurate]

Who are you to wave your finger (he does this alot in his stupid videos)
You musta been out your head
I hold deep in muddy waters (Dancing in puddles on one of his dumb videos)
you practically raised the dead (Thriller)

Rob the grave to snow the cradle (pedophilia)
then burn the evidence down
Soapbox house of cards and glass so
dont go tossing your stones around

difficult to dance round this one (yeah, obvious)
till you pull it out boy
Old 05-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #59
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think this song has multiple meanings/allusions--it's along the same stream as Vicarious. Has anyone noticed that some of the lyrics could be about the whole Michael Jackson pedophilia thing? I think it would be funny. The vocals at some point just seem to be a comical impersonation of Jackson.

till you pull it out boy
sweatyturtle19's Avatar sweatyturtle19
05-04-2006, 05:43 PM

I like this song a whole lot more now that I'm aware of these multiple meanings. I feel like dumbass now for originally thinking it was just about weed. Of course Tool is deeper than that!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #60
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

I like this song a whole lot more now that I'm aware of these multiple meanings. I feel like dumbass now for originally thinking it was just about weed. Of course Tool is deeper than that!
Alex in Chains's Avatar Alex in Chains
05-04-2006, 09:32 PM

Why did this get stickied? Regardless of whether it's right or not (and I really don't think it is), it's really no more profound than any other theory.
<ru5ty> wat
Old 05-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #61
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

Why did this get stickied? Regardless of whether it's right or not (and I really don't think it is), it's really no more profound than any other theory.
<ru5ty> wat
Luosdasa's Avatar Luosdasa
05-04-2006, 10:32 PM

*smacks head against wall* Kangaroo court, duh.
Cheers for correcting me
Old 05-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #62
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

*smacks head against wall* Kangaroo court, duh.
Cheers for correcting me
win's Avatar win
05-05-2006, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
well i think the marijuana reference is intentional.. i don't think the song is "about" weed per se, but it's definitely alluded to.
certainly. this song is kinda like H. the drug reference is in the title, and a part of the song, but not an explanation fo the song like many other titles like eulogy and hooker with a penis
Old 05-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #63
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
well i think the marijuana reference is intentional.. i don't think the song is "about" weed per se, but it's definitely alluded to.
certainly. this song is kinda like H. the drug reference is in the title, and a part of the song, but not an explanation fo the song like many other titles like eulogy and hooker with a penis
FRANK THE TANK
05-05-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungflowers
Maynard uses an interesting way to play on words.

This song is about the good ol' USA, in general...and not a specific f*ck up this country has commited. The titles is just missing one word - Melting. Maynard is talking about the The great melting pot.

This country has waved its finger at many countries, justified or not.

We must've been high to do all these things.

Killing the indians (pissing on my black kettle)
Eyballs deep in muddy water (the Cuntrina ordeal)
Kangarooed (Gitmo, secret prisons, wire tapping)

I won't elaborate further, thats for you to do.
Very good, valid points, nice job
Old 05-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #64
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungflowers
Maynard uses an interesting way to play on words.

This song is about the good ol' USA, in general...and not a specific f*ck up this country has commited. The titles is just missing one word - Melting. Maynard is talking about the The great melting pot.

This country has waved its finger at many countries, justified or not.

We must've been high to do all these things.

Killing the indians (pissing on my black kettle)
Eyballs deep in muddy water (the Cuntrina ordeal)
Kangarooed (Gitmo, secret prisons, wire tapping)

I won't elaborate further, thats for you to do.
Very good, valid points, nice job
pSYCHOtHErAPIST's Avatar pSYCHOtHErAPIST
05-05-2006, 08:03 AM

I really think this song is about the government's campaign against marijuana, the way the government has spent millions of dollars making ridiculous commercial spots to make pot heads look like the SCUMM of the earth. Think about it: the government has their head up their ass and can't approach the topic fairly, they wave their finger at pot heads, they show people fucking up--often times resulting in serious harm or death, then they say it was because they were HIGH, they must've been HIGH...and when they focus only on the foolish people who use marijuana who are idiots who hurt themselves and others and refuse to look at the benefits of medical marijuana they "hang the guilty with the innocent". That's the only meaning I can think of. If anyone has a line to disprove it, I'm interested in hearing.

As for the title, if you picture a square, or an old lady, or a republican talk about weed, I could hear them calling it "the POT". All those dopeheads, smoking THE POT and hurting each other, it's just terrible!!! It shows the lameness and lack of understanding that the government has toward marijuana.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #65
Level 3 - Talker

I really think this song is about the government's campaign against marijuana, the way the government has spent millions of dollars making ridiculous commercial spots to make pot heads look like the SCUMM of the earth. Think about it: the government has their head up their ass and can't approach the topic fairly, they wave their finger at pot heads, they show people fucking up--often times resulting in serious harm or death, then they say it was because they were HIGH, they must've been HIGH...and when they focus only on the foolish people who use marijuana who are idiots who hurt themselves and others and refuse to look at the benefits of medical marijuana they "hang the guilty with the innocent". That's the only meaning I can think of. If anyone has a line to disprove it, I'm interested in hearing.

As for the title, if you picture a square, or an old lady, or a republican talk about weed, I could hear them calling it "the POT". All those dopeheads, smoking THE POT and hurting each other, it's just terrible!!! It shows the lameness and lack of understanding that the government has toward marijuana.
pSYCHOtHErAPIST's Avatar pSYCHOtHErAPIST
05-05-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xineax

till you pull it out boy

Seems like you're kinda reaching for those meanings there.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #66
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xineax

till you pull it out boy

Nietzsche's Dead's Avatar Nietzsche's Dead
05-05-2006, 08:05 AM

I love how people always feel the need to point out the "real meaning" of Tool's music (as if they know for sure, 100%). Like the rest of us are just ignorant dipshits, incapable of seeing past things, like how "The Pot" really **isn't** all about weed...

man. I think you just blew my motherfucking mind..

::sighsss::

Last edited by Nietzsche's Dead; 05-05-2006 at 08:18 AM..
Old 05-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #67

I love how people always feel the need to point out the "real meaning" of Tool's music (as if they know for sure, 100%). Like the rest of us are just ignorant dipshits, incapable of seeing past things, like how "The Pot" really **isn't** all about weed...

man. I think you just blew my motherfucking mind..

::sighsss::

Last edited by Nietzsche's Dead; 05-05-2006 at 08:18 AM..
05-05-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empee
My opinion of what this song means seems to change every time I listen to it. I'm pretty sure the drug references are a red herring as someone else already said.

Most recently I've been looking at it in the context of the previous few songs before it, and it feels like MJK is addressing the people who will call him a hypocrite for singing Wings I & II about heaven and god and all that when it seems like a departure from everything he's ever said before. The Pot feels like he's kind of saying fuck you to people who are going to question what he just said when it was inspired by his love for his mother.
lol, do you really think MJK wrote "The Pot" *right* after Wings I&II, intentionally, to try and save face because he was worried people would be mad at him for singing about his mother? :O lols. Honestely, I don't think he could give a shit either way if some teenage fan-boys get their panties in a bunch because he sang about his dead mother... I think he wrote the song *for* his mother, and I'm sure he doesn't give a shit if people agree with his views, or believe him 100%, or not.

lol. Idk.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by empee
My opinion of what this song means seems to change every time I listen to it. I'm pretty sure the drug references are a red herring as someone else already said.

Most recently I've been looking at it in the context of the previous few songs before it, and it feels like MJK is addressing the people who will call him a hypocrite for singing Wings I & II about heaven and god and all that when it seems like a departure from everything he's ever said before. The Pot feels like he's kind of saying fuck you to people who are going to question what he just said when it was inspired by his love for his mother.
lol, do you really think MJK wrote "The Pot" *right* after Wings I&II, intentionally, to try and save face because he was worried people would be mad at him for singing about his mother? :O lols. Honestely, I don't think he could give a shit either way if some teenage fan-boys get their panties in a bunch because he sang about his dead mother... I think he wrote the song *for* his mother, and I'm sure he doesn't give a shit if people agree with his views, or believe him 100%, or not.

lol. Idk.
05-05-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnoriginalOne
Quoted for truth.

:D!!
Old 05-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #69

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnoriginalOne
Quoted for truth.

:D!!
threethirtythree's Avatar threethirtythree
05-05-2006, 09:29 AM

a much more light hearted thread that the wings one for sure. maybe he wanted us think he was talking about grass so all you/us stoners would open those red eyes and look deeper, or maybe not, this congregation never seems to need tricks played to seek the deeper meaning. the wonder of the tool fan. if only we looked so closely and analytically at our own lives and took the meaning somewhere outside the forum and grew.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #70
Level 2 - Poster

a much more light hearted thread that the wings one for sure. maybe he wanted us think he was talking about grass so all you/us stoners would open those red eyes and look deeper, or maybe not, this congregation never seems to need tricks played to seek the deeper meaning. the wonder of the tool fan. if only we looked so closely and analytically at our own lives and took the meaning somewhere outside the forum and grew.
Dungflowers
05-05-2006, 03:42 PM

Stickied?

Not because of me of course. There's lots of interesting ideas embedded in here.

*applauds you all*
Old 05-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #71
Level 4 - Thinker

Stickied?

Not because of me of course. There's lots of interesting ideas embedded in here.

*applauds you all*
05-05-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSYCHOtHErAPIST
probably, oh well...everybody does it at some point on here
EDIT: i just like it, it's awesome.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #72
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSYCHOtHErAPIST
probably, oh well...everybody does it at some point on here
EDIT: i just like it, it's awesome.
littlejason
05-06-2006, 03:40 PM

I don't know why i didn't think any further on my 'maybe it's not about a jackass who was stoned' For a while i thought it was just Hooker With a Penis pt. 2. Now you kids went and made me have all kinds of other options in my head!

As far as the Jesus references go, Christian symbolism is all OVER this record, it's insane how often you get it. Which made me think about Lateralus and all the Judaism and Qabbalistic references that people called out. Maybe we'll ahve a trend for a few albums on major religions? That'd be neat. Hinduism and Buddhism would be sooo peaceful and Islam would probably be a lot like Christianity.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I don't know why i didn't think any further on my 'maybe it's not about a jackass who was stoned' For a while i thought it was just Hooker With a Penis pt. 2. Now you kids went and made me have all kinds of other options in my head!

As far as the Jesus references go, Christian symbolism is all OVER this record, it's insane how often you get it. Which made me think about Lateralus and all the Judaism and Qabbalistic references that people called out. Maybe we'll ahve a trend for a few albums on major religions? That'd be neat. Hinduism and Buddhism would be sooo peaceful and Islam would probably be a lot like Christianity.
TheSingularity's Avatar TheSingularity
05-07-2006, 04:11 PM

I agree with alot of you... I think this song is about the hypocrisies and bullshit going on in our society. I dont think it has much to do with marijuana... but its definetly referenced. I'm 99% sure he says "Ganja Police" at the end of the song. Id say the song is just about the general state of humanity... and the hypocrisies and corruptions man has had and always will have. I think alot of the album toys with this theme.

And Dream of you....
Old 05-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #74
Level 1 - Lurker

I agree with alot of you... I think this song is about the hypocrisies and bullshit going on in our society. I dont think it has much to do with marijuana... but its definetly referenced. I'm 99% sure he says "Ganja Police" at the end of the song. Id say the song is just about the general state of humanity... and the hypocrisies and corruptions man has had and always will have. I think alot of the album toys with this theme.

And Dream of you....
E.T.'s Avatar E.T.
05-07-2006, 08:33 PM

I've been listening to Maynard's lyrics long enough to know that he has used metaphor and distraction more than a couple of times. Here's an observation. This is my first time here and I notice that people explain lyrics and such as if they ARE Maynard. I believe that the beauty of art is what YOU find in it for yourself... not what preachers/teachers preach/teach on the subject (telling me what a song means, which is laughable at best). I like to think that I don't need any interperatation of meaning. -E.T. Love ya anyway

Me : http://www.myspace.com/ethree423

www.TheUnsatisfied.com

Me in a trailer (running)... www.thedevilthemovie.com (enter then teaser)
Old 05-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #75
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 1

I've been listening to Maynard's lyrics long enough to know that he has used metaphor and distraction more than a couple of times. Here's an observation. This is my first time here and I notice that people explain lyrics and such as if they ARE Maynard. I believe that the beauty of art is what YOU find in it for yourself... not what preachers/teachers preach/teach on the subject (telling me what a song means, which is laughable at best). I like to think that I don't need any interperatation of meaning. -E.T. Love ya anyway

Me : http://www.myspace.com/ethree423

www.TheUnsatisfied.com

Me in a trailer (running)... www.thedevilthemovie.com (enter then teaser)
cynicis's Avatar cynicis
05-07-2006, 09:58 PM

I can't believe this. This album is the most straightforward (seemingly) album Maynard has ever written lyrics for, and now we're debating whether or not this song has something to do with Marijuana? The song is called, "The Pot." One refrain is, "You must have been high." Is the song directly related to marijuana? No. Is there a description of what it's like to be high? No. But, to say the song has nothing to do with it is absolutely preposterous. That's like saying "Hooker with a Penis" has nothing to do with prostitution.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #76
Level 3 - Talker

I can't believe this. This album is the most straightforward (seemingly) album Maynard has ever written lyrics for, and now we're debating whether or not this song has something to do with Marijuana? The song is called, "The Pot." One refrain is, "You must have been high." Is the song directly related to marijuana? No. Is there a description of what it's like to be high? No. But, to say the song has nothing to do with it is absolutely preposterous. That's like saying "Hooker with a Penis" has nothing to do with prostitution.
05-08-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanket_509
I thought the line was "I'm balls deep in muddy water". I was like, damn thats nasty.
at lest once i thought he sed it lol
Old 05-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #77
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanket_509
I thought the line was "I'm balls deep in muddy water". I was like, damn thats nasty.
at lest once i thought he sed it lol
lemonwater's Avatar lemonwater
05-08-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe
Agreed - great line.

i talked to mj and told him that i was realy high the first time i listened prison sex and lamb and martyr souned like lemon water he liked that and disided to put somthing about being high and lemons on the new cd 1+1=3 and there you have it
Old 05-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #78
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe
Agreed - great line.

i talked to mj and told him that i was realy high the first time i listened prison sex and lamb and martyr souned like lemon water he liked that and disided to put somthing about being high and lemons on the new cd 1+1=3 and there you have it
TheSingularity's Avatar TheSingularity
05-08-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonwater
LMAO... thanks for clearing that up. hah

And Dream of you....
Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #79
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonwater
LMAO... thanks for clearing that up. hah

And Dream of you....
Spiral Into Nothing's Avatar Spiral Into Nothing
05-09-2006, 12:25 AM

The song has references to weed, but it is not "about" weed at all.

The pot calling the kettle black. Being a hypocrite.

"You must have been high" = you must be fuckin crazy to come at me with this hypocritical bullshit.

Straight forward as anything I have ever heard, if you cant see that, YOU MUST BE HIGH.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 AM   #80
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The song has references to weed, but it is not "about" weed at all.

The pot calling the kettle black. Being a hypocrite.

"You must have been high" = you must be fuckin crazy to come at me with this hypocritical bullshit.

Straight forward as anything I have ever heard, if you cant see that, YOU MUST BE HIGH.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply