opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival
User Name
Password
Old 12-24-2002, 09:47 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
VERY COOL accidental discovery: check it out!

Any Tool fan with a DVD and a CD player needs to try this: you will not be disappointed.

Most of you have probably heard about the fact that if you play The Wizard of Oz while listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon instead of the movie dialogue, that the music matches what's happening onscreen.

Well check this shit out . . .

The day that the Salival box set came out just so happened to be the same day that I got a copy of The Cell on DVD, and a vial of some high-power liquid acid. I took these goodies to my friend's apartment. Now, we waited for the acid to kick in and decided to throw on The Cell. Anybody who's seen this movie probably won't disagree that it's one of the most visually impressive movies ever made, but the story and script aren't anything really special. Well, we waited for the acid to kick in, and decided to throw on The Cell to have some cool shit to look at. Now, knowing that the script/dialogue weren't anything to drool over, we put the TV on mute and threw on the CD from the Salival set. Immediately we found ourselves stupefied by the way that the movie and the CD go together. (And in case you're wondering, the drugs aren't a necessary part of the equation. I've done this many times since without any kind of hallucinogen, and it still works.)

There's two ways to watch/listen to this Tool/Cell marriage:

1.) The first and most simple is to simply start the CD as the New Line Cinema logo is coming together right before the opening credits. The movie matches amazingly for the first 3 tracks (My Third Eye, Part of Me, and Pushit), and after that it kind of loses its magic.

2.) The second is even more impressive, but it takes a little tinkering with your DVD player. Fast forward so that your DVD player's digital time readout reads 16:02 (sixteen minutes, two seconds). Now put the Salival disc in your CD player and cue up the live version of Pushit (track 3). Now all you've got to do is hit both PLAY buttons at exactly the same time, sit back, and watch the cool shit.

If I tried to describe the ways in which they match up, I wouldn't do it justice, it's just something you've got to experience for yourself. Watch how the camera and characters move, how the scenes are cut, and pay special attention during the song's crescendo at the end (if you've done it right, it will happen right as the FBI swoops in to arrest Vincent D'Onofrio's serial killer character, with the cops busting in his door timed perfectly with the drum punctuation after the "I must persuade you another way" line). Also, the "Rest your trigger on my finger" line happens exactly as the woman in the parking garage pulls out the can of MACE and puts her finger on its trigger.

After discovering this cool coincidence, it's become my hobby to try and match my favorite movies with different music. If you liked this one, here's another pretty cool one:

2001: A Space Odyssey/A Perfect Circle--

After the MGM logo fades, and the movie starts with the "Dawn of Man" sequence involving the monkeys, start the CD and just let it play. Start the CD exactly as the MGM logo disappears, and the "Dawn of Man" caption appears. The movie matches the songs in the same indescribable manner as the Tool/Cell thing. For those of you who've seen 2001, though, the movie matches the relatively "slow" songs "The Hollow," "Magdelena," and "Rose" with the monkeys just kind of sitting around, but as soon as "Judith" kicks in is exactly when the monkeys grab their sticks, get all pissed, and start beating the shit out of the other monkeys. And just as "Judith" draws to a close, so does the "Dawn of Man" sequence, with the lead monkey triumphantly throwing his weapon into the air as it shifts to the first shot of the ship falling through space as the closing notes of "Judith" are played.

Once again, these coincidences are not drug-induced hallucinations. If you simply follow the simple instructions it will work for you every time.

I try and tell or show as many people about this as I can, and love to see or hear their reactions. To anybody who takes the time to try this, all I ask is that you take 10 seconds to write me an e-mail so that I can know if people all over the world are experiencing my happy little discovery.

Please direct comments to [email protected] or [email protected].
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 03:31 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

a bit off topic, but the "Jupiter, and beyond the Infinite" sequence in 2001 a Space Odyssey can be synched up to Pink Floyd's Echoes (proper 23 min version) for an intense ride.

But i'll have to check out the Dawn of Man/APC thing, as i don't have a copy of The Cell.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Completely and utterly arbitrary.

But sounds like fun.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:37 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
I bet if you tried hard enough, you could match up Opiate with an episode of Sponge Bob Square Pants.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:42 AM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

some people have way too much time on their hands... has anyone seen the white room by cream matched up to the clay- mation "Santa Claus is coming to town" ??? I saw it on SNL and it cracked me up so much... you should look for it.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:26 PM   #6
Disgruntled Postal Worker

Bincount™: 176
actually, if you watch carefullly, patrick licks his ice cream cone right when the solo to the grudge plays...but you have to do it JUST right.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:31 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

too bad "the cell" was made long after salival came out... otherwise i might be inclined to care.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:50 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 51
cradle of filth with lord of the rings is pretty cool. tool doesnt seem like it would fit right with the cell.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: