opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 01-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #41
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841
Re: Opiate Vinyl

Maple syrup, eh.
I've been using Tide. Vanilla Tide.
just kidding
Old 01-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #42

Bincount™: 391

Maple syrup, its nice but expensive.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #43
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 456

It's not expensive, maple syrup.

Or at least, it hasn't been in my experience.

But I just woke up and for all I know I could be actually be confusing the price of maple syrup with the price of anything from generic tylenol to fried chicken...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #44
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

It's cheap, maple syrup.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #45

Bincount™: 391

maybe i am too poor then
Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #46
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

tap a maple tree yourself. thats what we used to do when i was younger
Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

WELLLLLLLLLL...... not that this thread is still on topic, but i thought i would post what I know about the Opiate vinyl:

First you need to know this:

Zoo Entertainment used 72445-1XXXX-X for cat# and bar codes (maybe an extra number at the end on the barcode, what whatever... the prefix is the relevant part here). The first 4 Xs determine the release and the last X determines the format (1 for vinyl, 2 for CD, 4 for cassette.. etc).
When Volcano Entertainment bought Zoo from BMG in 1996, first they kept the same cat#s but changed the barcode to have a new prefix: 61422-3XXXX-X.

So, anything with the 61422-3 prefix either on the barcode or cat# was NOT PRESSED BEFORE 1996.

That being said, I still have NOT seen a Opiate pressing with a 72445-1XXXX-X BARCODE (cat# yes, but not barcode) so I don't know if the original 1992 pressings are either really rare, or maybe they don't exist. Is there anyone that was around in 1992 that can remember if Opiate was available on vinyl from day 1?

Pressings that I know of for sure:
Basically only 3 (besides the possible one I mentioned above):

Release September 17, 1996 in conjunction with the Undertow Remaster and the original Aenima release (before the CD on October 1st, 1996)

This one has the Zoo logo on the sleeve AND on label (cat# cat# 72445-11027-1 on sleeve and label, BUT barcode: 61422-31027-1 9). It also has a custom insert with the credits on it (and graphics). The vinyl label is stylized as well with a bit of fur showing. The etchings on this disc say: 2445-11027-1-A1 (and B1 on the B side). The label says: "Manufactured and distributed by BMG Entertainment."

2. The only other one I know of uses the exact same sleeve as the one above, but uses a new label on this disc. So the sleeve has the OLD prefix on the sleeve, put the NEW prefix on the label. The label is boring old plain white. It has the Volcano Logo on it, and says: "Manufactured by Zomba Recording Corporation". The insert is a plain white one and thus, there are no credits included with this version. The etchings on this one are weird because each side uses a different prefix: Side A: 61422-31027-1-A1 and, Side B: 72445-11027-1-B1. But thats that. I don't know the release date of this one, but it is sometime after the other one.

3. Now, there is another one that is slightly newer because I have another (mispressed) copy that has a slightly different sleeve. The newer sleeve is basically the same, but the colour and font of the fine print is slightly different (barely noticeable) and the spine doesn't have the band name or title on it, it is blank (more noticeable). Again, I don't know when this was pressed, but it would be newer than the second one. Barcode is a little smaller (or bigger...i cant remember?)... anyways, just by a millimeter or 2.

While I am on a roll, I will point on these interesting things:

1. Why the hell haven't they made a Volcano logo'd sleeve for Opiate? Undertow has basically the same amount of represses, except they have one that is updated with the Tool Dissection and Volcano logos... why not Opiate?

2. Why do the ones with Volcano on the label NOT have the Tool Dissection logo? The Undertow represses do. As a matter of fact, i think every single repress or new release on any format since 1999 has had the Tool Dissectional and Volcano logos except for these opiate pressings.

3. Why am I still typing? I am insane...

Anyways, scans of 2 of my copies are here (except my 1996 one):
Volcano Reissue: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1554087
Volcano Reissue mispress: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1586750

I anyone has any info on anything PM me.... especially if you have a copy with a barcode that looks like this: 72445-11027-1, I am still trying to confirm/deny this ones existence.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:37 AM   #48
Level 9 - Obstreperous

tl;dr

how do u know all of this?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #49
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
tl;dr

how do u know all of this?
He's works as a double agent for the CIA
Old 03-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
He's works as a double agent for the CIA
In Canada we are called CSIS ;)

No, I have just been "researching" I guess both the history of Volcano and Zoo Entertainment, and their relationships with BMG, Zomba, Sony BMG and whatnot. Looking through old business articles, press releases, and other documents online and otherwise. Also having fun with archive.org and interrogating certain key informants.

The Opiate vinyl situation is an odd one, and I have been looking into it for sometime. Eventually i stumbled upon this thread and I decided to post what I know this far.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #51
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez_Guy View Post
In Canada we are called CSIS ;)

No, I have just been "researching" I guess both the history of Volcano and Zoo Entertainment, and their relationships with BMG, Zomba, Sony BMG and whatnot. Looking through old business articles, press releases, and other documents online and otherwise. Also having fun with archive.org and interrogating certain key informants.

The Opiate vinyl situation is an odd one, and I have been looking into it for sometime. Eventually i stumbled upon this thread and I decided to post what I know this far.
find a girlfriend.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: