opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 05-10-2003, 03:25 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
alright

alright time for my two cents.

First of all SoADs debut was great, I love Spiders, Sugar, and others. But Toxiccity is better in my opinion. and dont get me started on how much I HATE Steal this Album, to think I paid money for it. I find SoAD to have great talent, they are only a few bands that give you real enjoyable guitar "solos" (ie. Aerials) and Opiate is better then Undertow IMO, I just dont find Undertow to be as good as the other 3 albums (it beats Salival) thats my opinion on things. o, and btw I never found KoRn to be very good, so now I guess all of this forum hates me.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:25 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

i am a musician..... this shit about the drums not being as good.... DANNY CAREY IS FUCKING GOD IF U DONT LIKE IT KEEP IT TO URSELF .......lol well i for one think its good sorry for the sarcazim
Old 06-02-2003, 05:03 PM   #43
Banned.

Re: alright

Quote:
Originally posted by EmbryosInBloom
alright time for my two cents.

First of all SoADs debut was great, I love Spiders, Sugar, and others. But Toxiccity is better in my opinion. and dont get me started on how much I HATE Steal this Album, to think I paid money for it. I find SoAD to have great talent, they are only a few bands that give you real enjoyable guitar "solos" (ie. Aerials) and Opiate is better then Undertow IMO, I just dont find Undertow to be as good as the other 3 albums (it beats Salival) thats my opinion on things. o, and btw I never found KoRn to be very good, so now I guess all of this forum hates me.
First of all....if you dumbasses knew anything about system, you would know that most of Steal this album are songs recorded before the self titled CD. Secondly, saying that any CD is better than the next or last...who gives a shit. The band obviously doesnt. Its called evolution, we all go through it every ounce of our being is ever changing and evolving.

Opiate is/ will always be one of Tool's best albums. I mean shit they are all amazing. Just because it lacks the depth of the later cds doesnt mean that it has no meaning. This lays out the groundwork for all of Tool's present thoughts, actions, and theory. If the first album was as deep as aenima we would all be getting mad that they stopped with lateralus. You have to start some where. Opiate was the first building block. Since they have evolved, evergrowing for the better. Listen to each and every song on Opiate, There is so much depth in each song, whether you catch it or not, whether we're meant to catch it or not.

As for incubus: Fungus amongus was their first cd, which is an awesome first cd by the way. Then came enjoy incubus which only had 6 songs, two of which were from fungus amongus. The 4 new songs were very similar to those on fungus. THEN, came science, which i will have to agree is my favorite album of theirs. Make yourself is easily their deepest album. They actually talk about shit. Morning view is just their next step in evolution. Stop ragging on whats new, just because it doesnt sound the same dont prejudge. By the way is anyone else pissed that Alex Katunich, their awesome bassist has moved to the rank of EX-bassist. Although i am deeply saddened by this loss, i cant help to wonder what direction they will take with their new bassist Hub, from the roots. This could get interesting.

As for Korn, Im a huge fan but thats partially because i lived 20 minutes away from the mortuary where Johnathan Davis worked as a teenager. Seen them grow up. And the thing about giving undue credit to them for starting new rock is absurd. They did start new rock. I would most definitely not classify Tool as new rock. As i have said many times before, Tool is in a league of their own.

As for Rage, its the same with Tool. All of their CDs are amazing, and perfect. If you think otherwise, ask yourself what the band would say if you told them what you felt. anybody else strongly mad that rage hooked up with cornell, but like the music?

anyone remember that article where the interviewer was trying to tell maynard how high fred durst regards them? I advise you look into it.

Just read the quote on the Opinion Homepage.

Last edited by soberwithapenis; 06-02-2003 at 05:07 PM..
Old 06-08-2003, 02:28 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

i actually think the drumming on opiate a lot more enjoyable to listen to than on any other album. I think also tool need to try to simplify their music a little more. I think maybe theyve gotten a little pretentious in the old age.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:11 PM   #45
Banned.

Bincount™: 55
It's still better than most of the shit you'll hear on the radio today.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:45 PM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

Hmm, well, being a drummer, I have to say I do agree that opiate isn't as complex as anything the band has released since, but it is still VERY aggressive even for nowadays (yes, I idolize danny's drumming). I guess the important thing to remember when judging opiate is considering preparation. Is the world circa 1992 ready for aenima or lateralus? I think the tool journey since Opiate has been one of learning for both band and audience. We stay along for the ride to see the evolution of musical talent as well as the evolution of ourselves. At least thats my opinion.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:12 AM   #47
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 87
Its not my favourite,but......

Opiate does not rank ahead of Salival,Aenima and Lateralus for me but ,what can i say, i do enjoy it more so than undertow.
Production wise i know that the first two albums arent as good as what came later,but i really do like opiates embryonic,raw sound.Its a reminder that tool were a very different band back in the day and its also a good album to illustrate to you fully how much evolution has taken place between this ep and Lateralus.
Also its short ,sharp and is good for a good agressive half hour listening.
I dont think it contains any bad song, i love them all, the title song itself would be one of my top 5 tool songs.Also i really love hush as well,a lot dont,but the particular straightforwardness of the lyrics appeall to me.I contrast all of this with the songs on Undertow,it does contain songs of genius(Flood,Sober,Disgustipated,Prisonsex),but i think theres a lot of filler,songs like Swamp song,which(pardon my french) i find fucking useless.
Each tool album i do love sperately,but i think that its unjustified to call this the worst tool album
Old 07-01-2003, 01:03 PM   #48
Level 3 - Talker

I think that it's a little unfair to compare Opiate to their other albums, since it's only an EP, and don't try to tell me that it's length isn't a disadvantage. When I first bought Opiate (it was the last album I bought other than Salival), I wasn't expecting much. I mean, let's face it. How many bands are making brillaint, ground breaking music from the very beginning? I think that, while not on par with Undertow, Aenema or Lateralus, Opiate is very good in it's own right. I appreciate the raw feel of it. It sounds like the band was really just letting it all loose and playing. I think that it also shows that they didn't really take the album too seriously, with a hidden track like the Gaping Lotus Experience. I listen to Opiate quite frequently, and while it's not incredible, I think it's a very enjoyable album.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:36 AM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

TOOL = Soul-Metal

i actually read a review of opiate at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...312354-5302028 which called tool Soul-Metal. Just like RATM put hip-hop into metal, they say, TOOL have put soul into metal.
so now i'm gonna refer to TOOL as soul-metal, when someone asks me wha they are like
Old 10-11-2003, 01:40 AM   #50
Level 8 - Vociferous

Re: The Least good Tool cd

Haha...soul-metal...l like that one.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:41 AM   #51
Banned.

Bincount™: 301
soul-metal, i love it, its perfect
Old 10-11-2003, 01:31 PM   #52
Level 8 - Vociferous

l used to call it psycadelic rock. Haha.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:51 PM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Location: Pay no mind what other voices say. They don't care about you like I do.

I like opiate. I think it rates right up there with ÆNIMA.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:07 PM   #54
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah...TOOL is TOOL...they've always had a main message, and wonderful talent. l like this CD just as much as any other.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:10 PM   #55
Level 14 - Squad Blazer

Bincount™: 2148

opiate.... not my favorite album, but good to listen to when you're angry. i think the music is still good, its just obviously not as amazing an album as aenima or lateralus.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:33 AM   #56
Banned.

Bincount™: 3
I don't think TOOL are anywhere near NuMetal... they have created their own type of music... and I'm sure you should all know better than to start labelling everything ;)

Opiate is a great album. I think you have to take each song, from every album of every artist, on their own, and judge it after a few listenings. Opiate (the song) is one of my favourate TOOL traks, along with Aenema and The Patient.

I read, or heard somewhere that TOOL had a grunge like start in music, and I love the contrast between Opiate and Aenima/Lateralus. Opiate is a more raw and gritty in it sound to me, than the more melodic floaty tunes of Lateralus.

Opiate, I also feel, was quite an amusing album to TOOL for them to write. Hush, especially with the video, makes me chuckle, and GLE is worth a good laugh.

And so what if Opiate was an angry album? I think there was a lot of anger in Aenima as well.

And if you told TOOL you didn't like their this or that? You might end up being a hooker with a penis =P
Old 10-19-2003, 01:54 PM   #57
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek79
opiate and aenema are may favorite tool cds because i think they spotlight best what the band is capable of. exept for a couple songs undertow just doesnt have the energy or urgency of those two albums. lateralus though i have a love/hate relationship with. sometimes i think its just a great fucking album and other times i just think its a bunch of quasi spiritual bullshit. aenema on the other hand is a beast of an album that is just totally relentless and broad in its scope. i like opiate because it just fucking rocks, basically. jerk-off and cold and ugly are fucking fantastic. when i first heard it i was a little taken aback because i had just heard aenema and it wasnt what i was expecting but its come to be one of my favorite tool albums just for the raw intensity of the lyrics and the music. i dont know if this really relates to this thread but oh well. enjoy

i too enjoyed opiate being raw like it was... as for the lack of depth on opiate.... well... too bad huh... thats like saying the first time you try something you have to be the best
Old 12-10-2003, 05:42 PM   #58
Level 2 - Poster

OPIATE is indeed the "Least good" TOOL CD

........but only because it's their shortest
Old 02-11-2004, 02:15 AM   #59
Level 3 - Talker

Well, Opiate was an EP...

They had most of the songs for Undertow written... I believe, at the time Opiate was recorded... Because... One... Some songs from Undertow was on the Demo... And two... Undertow was released roughly a year after Opiate...

I don't think Opiate was meant to have very deep songs... Who knows?
Maybe the band didn't want to introduce thier complexity until later on in thier career... Cause back in the early 90's people didn't want that... They wanted angsty grunge... That is what they got with Opiate...

Then after they devoloped a fan base they started to get deeper with thier music... Undertow IMO wasn't deep as well...

It only started with Aenima...

Lateralus is my favorite album from Tool... It sounds so Epic... And deep and intelligent...

Then comes Aenima... It tells a story... Epic as well... Especially with Pushit and Third Eye...

Undertow comes next... Kinda down & dirty... Literally

And Opiate... Love it just as much as any other Tool album... It is very angsty... And harder then other Tool... Still great though...

But Tool only seems to get better with each album... They develop more and more... People don't like Lateralus more then Aenima because they don't swear or it's not as hard... Pfft... They're only maturing through each album... Can't wait for a new one possibly this summer? It'll be even more epic... More special... More complex... Deeper... It'll be great... And another one... To end their contract...

(Hopfully they will get another one... If not then that'll be the end of Tool... I posted something on this in my thread in the Aenima section... About the fact that after the album coming after the one they are working on now it is the end of their current contract... It all depends on Tool... If they want it to end or not... They can easly get another contract...)

And... Thats it^

Tool~Opiate - Undertow - Ænima - Lateralus~
Rage Against The Machine~Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
The Battle Of Los Angeles - Renegades~
Old 03-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #60
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

Nothing wrong with heavy. Opiate seems to cater towards your emotians more than the other albums, in the sense that it doesn't require much thinking, and there's nothing wrong with that, music is music.

And I don't know, maybe some of you should be more like me and listen to the music for the music rather than the lyrics, because I'm awesome.

Last edited by Chuckie; 03-22-2004 at 02:31 PM..
Old 03-27-2004, 02:24 PM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

ok, imagne this.... NO Opiate causes no undertow...... causes no Aenima,....causes no Lateralus
all of their albums are great.... i love opiate!!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:25 PM   #62
Level 3 - Talker

I heard a good description of Tool's genre as Art Metal. They would classify under the genre of metal, but that is too generic, art because most of their songs are very artistic and individual.

I believe that Opiate is a great album. So what if it is 'angry' music as you say. Listen to Aenema and tell me that is not an angry song. Sometimes anger is good in music, especially if you're in a shit of a mood and don't want to mellow out. Listening to someone else's anger is a good way of releasing your own.

Opiate may not be deep in your opinion, but only when you compare it to the rest of their albums. If Opiate was a stand alone album and they never released anything else, it would be considered deep, especially in comparision to the shit that is on the air waves these days.

And be fair to these guys, they released a great album, maybe not as great as some of their later work but still brilliant in it's own right. Record me a better album and I'll admit that you're right.

~Deyve::
Old 11-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #63

Bincount™: 9
Hit the nail

To reitirate from crazypsycho666: NO Opiate causes no undertow...... causes no Aenima....causes no Lateralus

Why say more?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:32 PM   #64
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 187

Yeah, this definitely is the least goodest cd. Lateralus is the besterest.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:33 PM   #65
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 187

Lol, sorry. I SUCK at grammar. I meant *most* besterest.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: