opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Forum Feedback » Feedback
User Name
Password
Old 05-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Snobs

i joined in the past year, and i was very excited to interact with other tool fans (this was during my 30-day stint of naivety in which i failed to see what had been the abysmally deserted state of this place). since tool madness began, i've wanted to become far more interactive than i'd been. i really couldn't maintain my interest in this place, because most material i've read through that has cropped up since i've been here is garbage, unintellectual or just crudely uninviting.

There is juuuust enough arrogant presumptuous haughty snobbery going around on this black-and-red microcosm of the internet that it makes me sick. I love everyone, but jesus people, seriously? How are some of these people going to seek out a forum for this kind of music and creative work and yet it's obvious you missed the UFO. Some of you are SNOBS and if i wanted your sniveling, pointless judgmental remark (which I fear must appear to you as some kind of sophisticated observation, with some totally cool sass) on something, i'd ask for just that. That part about compassion, forgiveness, being without judgment? Yeah. It seems to be missing in a lot of the common attitude here, and is really killing what's classy.

I just find it unsettling, because i do enjoy music very much, and from the perspective of a true musician i am not following the pathetic, need-to-be-witty comments some of the people here make. It's sad and really indicative of the lack of evolution going on. Kind of retrograde to the whole point here, yeah?

Last edited by silverysights; 05-11-2011 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: bleh.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 269
Re: Snobs

there's just a few of them. you get used to (ignoring) them.

though i don't see anything wrong with trying to be witty. senseless hostility and nitpicking is unnecessary, though.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Banned.

oh, and no one here likes tool anyway.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosis View Post
oh, and no one here likes tool anyway.
this is becoming clearer. especially with some of the hilariously picky attitudes in the tool madness threat. i am discouraged.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Banned.

as long as you don't think 10,000 days is their best album, you'll be alright
Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
as long as you don't think 10,000 days is their best album, you'll be alright
after short contemplation (for the sake of tool madness, and in the name of SCIENCE) i have acknowledged that 10,000 days is, in fact, not their 'greatest' album. :d for reasons that are already obvious to you, i presume.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Banned.

i enjoy the album a lot, but i definitely think it's their most uninspired work. the songs drag on, the riffs are recycled, and they really don't pull the songs off that well live. the album also lacks the "transcendental" quality of aenima and lateralus.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Banned.

there's also this thread

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=58126

jag's first post is my favourite.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Well, here's the problem in a nutshell: everything Tool related was discussed TO DEATH more than four years ago. 10,000 Days came out five years ago this week!

After the whole 10,000 Days thing settled down, the hardcore Toolheads left, only the regulars remained, and anything and everything Tool related just became old news. Personally speaking, I burned myself out on Tool. I've listened to over 150 different shows (bootlegs). I've heard the Tool albums (CD and vinyl) and demos (cassette) a zillion times each---I even own the censored artwork Undertow and European (non-hologram) Ænima. I've acquired my own Salival and Parabola/Schism/Vicarious DVD singles and watched them to death, in stereo and 5.1, with and without commentary. I made my own live Tool compilation (see my sig). I've checked and cross-compared riffs through time (did you know Adam played the Rosetta Stoned riff onstage in 1998? and Wings for Marie in 2002?). There's more but I shan't go on.

Tool is a great band; they're still my favorite. But there are SO MANY other bands out there. Even though Tool toured all the way into 2011, the only "new" material since 2006 were their covers of Holiday in Cambodia and Some Days It's Dark. It's hard to remain obsessed about an artist when you've run their existing catalog into the ground and they have nothing new.

Personally, I was shocked at this whole "Tool Madness", and I flat-out refused to participate because, honestly, I could not care less about which Tool song is the poppiest. Some other people apparently had the same feelings, but they chose instead to continue the pervasive, half-ironic Tool hating that often goes on out here. It's become almost fashionable to hate on Tool here...you can thank Misanthrope for that.

You should realize that it's not really snobbery that you're seeing; you just showed up late to the party. Even this 10,000 Days discussion that's happening in the thread is something I find extremely trite, and quite boring to discuss nowadays. That's just the way it is. Unfortunately, this has alienated a lot of new users, and the TDN userbase has been slowly shrinking for years....which is unfortunate, because I feel this is the only forum on the web where I can truly "let my hair down", so to speak.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Banned.

your mom is extremely trite

the half-ironic tool hating is the best thing about these forums :D

i thought the point of tool madness was to get everyone, burn-outs and fanboys alike, excited and talking about tool again. i joined the forums about a year before 10,000 days came out, and at the time i was only getting into lateralus. now lateralus and aenima are my favourite albums ever, and i want to nerd out on them (definitely late to the party...) - tool madness provides the perfect context.

at least you're really excited about the new album! though i can't imagine it being significantly better than 10,000 days :(
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
i thought the point of tool madness was to get everyone, burn-outs and fanboys alike, excited and talking about tool again.
I figured it was, too. But I didn't bite...

I just want some new material. Tired of talking about the same old shizz.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

@silverysights - A lot of people are assholes. It would be noteworthy if they were at least trying to be honest. Usually the honesty is implicit. They are not the only ones here. If you have something you want to say, say it. If somebody criticizes you, who cares? Is a Tool fan going to be dictated by the tone of other people's legitimization?

@hushypushy - Bach hasn't come out with any new music lately, either.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by moment View Post
@hushypushy - Bach hasn't come out with any new music lately, either.
and do you hear me discussing the new Bach album anywhere? Nope.

One big difference is that when the Tool stuff was new, I analyzed the shit out of it. That didn't exactly happen with anything by Bach, or The Beatles, etc...
Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Maybe you should try the Fourtheye forums. They're much more Tool friendly...
Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
Level 11 - Clamorous

does any Tool related discussion go on at ToolArmy?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
does any Tool related discussion go on at ToolArmy?
Nope, or any discussion for that matter...
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean_okra View Post
i don't know about this. i've been listening to tool for many years, and have even taken long breaks from them, but i always find something new in their music
edit: just so i don't contradict my previous post, it is difficult to stay excited about a band when they haven't released any new material for a while. bach remains fresh because every performance, every recording is different (sometimes two performances by the same pianist may vastly differ!) but to say that everything that can be said about tool has been said, and that there's no point in talking until the new album is released, is a bit silly.
That's the point i've been trying to get across. thank you. it's always nice to hear someone else's enthusiasm for good music, vs. incessant criticism.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
Level 11 - Clamorous

^ Maynard jokingly referred to APC as something to prove to his fans that he can actually sing.

I dunno, I find a lot of "power" in APC, but it's not sheer volume and intensity like The Grudge or Jerk-Off. It's more of the power that comes when Joni Mitchell is your favorite singer.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 AM   #19
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962

Quote:
^ Maynard jokingly referred to APC as something to prove to his fans that he can actually sing.

I dunno, I find a lot of "power" in APC, but it's not sheer volume and intensity like The Grudge or Jerk-Off. It's more of the power that comes when Joni Mitchell is your favorite singer.
Ironic that maynard now avoid the apc songs that prove he can sing...
Old 07-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #20
dsl
Banned.

Bincount™: 1278

Listen to other artists if you like new material so much.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
Banned.

Bincount™: 103

I just want to be held.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #22
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

spammers gettin fiesty lately
Old 08-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Is this whole forum just a bunch of spam accounts? I thought this was a tool forum, but there are hardly any threads and there is spam in almost every thread I've seen so far.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Hi SilverySights! Hi all!

Tool lover from the first song heard!!! (Sometime mid 90's, I guess).

New to the forums - whole site, actually & I'm not going to pretend to "get" all of the dialogue on the current (or even past) bias of the forum-ees... I just figured this should be a great place to get started (maybe even welcomed) where the underlying theme is "thou ought love thy Tool neighbor!" :)

One main motivator for joining site now is I haven't yet seen Tool live. Something I kick myself in the a** for to this day & a luxury that shouldn't have been taken for granted (Thanks, hindsight) considering their occasional temperamentalness & eternity-like hiatus. (Really, underplaying the temperment thing & overdoing the eternity thing; not by much, though).

To experience in person with all my senses the unF'nbelievable feats performed by Danny Carey is something I feel I just cannot die without having yet done. To have the tremendous thumping in my chest while able to see the strike, connect, strike, connect, strike, connect... simultaneously hearing the flow, which to this day seem beyond human capability. (I really wanna see 'em live!!!!!!) (In case that wasn't coming across...) ;)

With new release rumblings... gotta put myself "in the know". Looking forward to any/all knowledge from the deferential diehard! :)

Even more so looking forward to experiencing Tool in a whole new way... by forum.

Appreciate your eyes on my text... C~
Old 09-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

welcome to the internet..
Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't_Need_Validation View Post
welcome to the internet..
It's not "the internet" that is the problem, it's people with enabler-complex mentalities and the self-sufficient, respectless attitude they carry in regards to the mature balance some call 'decency'.

somewhat like yourself, with the dismissive write-off of what is obviously negative. blegh.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

I just want some new material. Tired of talking about the same old shizz.
i remember this same sentiment around 2003/2004
Old 03-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #28
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962

Did an alias just out itself?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #29

Bincount™:

Can be this whole forum just a lot of spam company accounts? I thought it was a device forum, but you'll find hardly any threads and there may be spam in virtually every thread I've truly seen to date.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #30
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroy559 View Post
Can be this whole forum just a lot of spam company accounts? I thought it was a device forum, but you'll find hardly any threads and there may be spam in virtually every thread I've truly seen to date.
gtfo, m00gar

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: