Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
3stars
06-10-2010, 02:41 PM

once again along with vicarious and jambi this song is so intense with talent on vocals and instrumental performances, musical writing and lyrics INCREDIBLE, OUTSTANDNG, SUPERB!!!!! i don't know what this song is about, but that's okay, if anyone cares to enlighten my on that, be my guest
Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
THIS SONG REEKS OF COOLNESS!!!!!!!!!

once again along with vicarious and jambi this song is so intense with talent on vocals and instrumental performances, musical writing and lyrics INCREDIBLE, OUTSTANDNG, SUPERB!!!!! i don't know what this song is about, but that's okay, if anyone cares to enlighten my on that, be my guest
06-10-2010, 03:00 PM

i like this song a lot too. uhm, i think we are in the minority here as most don't like the song. but the bass riff and drums do it for me.

IMO inner eulogy had one of the best interpretations of the Pot. he'd do it way better than i.

but i'll give you my best attempt. 1. never judge a book by its' cover 2. Bush may have stole the election from Al Gore 3. total blind hypocrisy is silly

carry on...
Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841
Re: THIS SONG REEKS OF COOLNESS!!!!!!!!!

i like this song a lot too. uhm, i think we are in the minority here as most don't like the song. but the bass riff and drums do it for me.

IMO inner eulogy had one of the best interpretations of the Pot. he'd do it way better than i.

but i'll give you my best attempt. 1. never judge a book by its' cover 2. Bush may have stole the election from Al Gore 3. total blind hypocrisy is silly

carry on...
06-10-2010, 03:20 PM

i can't imagine anyone not liking/loving this masterpiece!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

i can't imagine anyone not liking/loving this masterpiece!!!!!!
06-10-2010, 03:42 PM

maybe i'm wrong
Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

maybe i'm wrong
06-10-2010, 03:46 PM

i remember hearing this song off the downloaded leak thinking they were all b-sides or something hehe

don't get me wrong, i liked it, but i don't think we'll ever shake off the stigma of the 10000 days hoax :P
Old 06-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

i remember hearing this song off the downloaded leak thinking they were all b-sides or something hehe

don't get me wrong, i liked it, but i don't think we'll ever shake off the stigma of the 10000 days hoax :P
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
3stars
06-11-2010, 02:54 PM

i'm not familiar with the 10000 days hoax:P i completely don't understand your whole reply
Old 06-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

i'm not familiar with the 10000 days hoax:P i completely don't understand your whole reply
06-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Jambi riff: Chugga chugga chug chugga chugga chug
Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 929

hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
06-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stars View Post
well....IN A NUTSHELL....when 10,000 Days was going to come out, there were a ton of fake covers and track listings floating around. and then! the album actually leaked. but some people were really turned off by it and declared it a HOAX ALBUM, maybe because track 5 contained some douchebag in a falsetto voice talking about how high you musta been. THIS IS NO TOOL ALBUM!

yet, a couple days before the album was scheduled to be released, a good quality rip emerged. It was exactly the effing same, but much "cleaner" sounding. That's exactly what the CD sounded like two days later. It was real.

Since then, the differences in opinions on this album have been wider than a boulevard in Morales. Some hated it when it wasn't Tool, and loved it when it was. Some always hated it. Some liked it, loved it, then hated it. There are millions of threads in the archives, go read all about it!

The irony in your post is reflected by the fact that this song has probably been one of the least liked songs on the album (again, read older threads in this very section about it). Stupid vocals, lame lyrics, 4/4 time signature, I could go on and on. Personally, I like this song--very groovy and it makes me laugh.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
well....IN A NUTSHELL....when 10,000 Days was going to come out, there were a ton of fake covers and track listings floating around. and then! the album actually leaked. but some people were really turned off by it and declared it a HOAX ALBUM, maybe because track 5 contained some douchebag in a falsetto voice talking about how high you musta been. THIS IS NO TOOL ALBUM!

yet, a couple days before the album was scheduled to be released, a good quality rip emerged. It was exactly the effing same, but much "cleaner" sounding. That's exactly what the CD sounded like two days later. It was real.

Since then, the differences in opinions on this album have been wider than a boulevard in Morales. Some hated it when it wasn't Tool, and loved it when it was. Some always hated it. Some liked it, loved it, then hated it. There are millions of threads in the archives, go read all about it!

The irony in your post is reflected by the fact that this song has probably been one of the least liked songs on the album (again, read older threads in this very section about it). Stupid vocals, lame lyrics, 4/4 time signature, I could go on and on. Personally, I like this song--very groovy and it makes me laugh.
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM

OK, NO COMPRENDAE(sp?) cause i know that's not in the lyrics
Old 06-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

06-11-2010, 04:11 PM

thanks for the post, hush. saved me the trouble.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

thanks for the post, hush. saved me the trouble.
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
06-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
you musta been sooooo hiiiigh then
Old 06-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
you musta been sooooo hiiiigh then
06-12-2010, 02:41 PM

despite ya'll i still love this song!
Old 06-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

despite ya'll i still love this song!
06-12-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernygii
Thou shallth not throwe shite upon Jambi.
Adam's work here is perhaps not the stereotype of what's a guitarist's duty, but it interleaves with Danny and Justin in a great manner. Saying that, it's 9/4 measure, yet everyone plays so naturally and freely it's just awesome.
Also, reportedly it works even better live than the CD version.
And it's my favorite song on 10.000 Days album.
I love the fact that you can find there some good old Tool, some Meshuggah-alike polyrhythms and overall chugga-chug-complexity, and this talkbox solo, a cherry on the cake.
Maybe it's just for me, and I am usually really into the rhythmic layer :)
Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernygii
Adam's work here is perhaps not the stereotype of what's a guitarist's duty, but it interleaves with Danny and Justin in a great manner. Saying that, it's 9/4 measure, yet everyone plays so naturally and freely it's just awesome.
I love the fact that you can find there some good old Tool, some Meshuggah-alike polyrhythms and overall chugga-chug-complexity, and this talkbox solo, a cherry on the cake.
3stars
07-13-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał View Post
I like your post on this song, and rhythmic layer is very cool, i don't have a ton of music knowledge but it seems like a lot of Tool songs are of this style at least in many songs on Lateralus and 10,000 days i would say they have perfected the art of rhythmic layering, in my opinion
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał View Post
I like your post on this song, and rhythmic layer is very cool, i don't have a ton of music knowledge but it seems like a lot of Tool songs are of this style at least in many songs on Lateralus and 10,000 days i would say they have perfected the art of rhythmic layering, in my opinion
07-13-2010, 12:15 PM

i like songs about kangaroos.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Rolo's Avatar Rolo
07-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
This
Old 07-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
This
07-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, I'm not exactly sure what rhythmic layering is, but their music composing is without a doubt, outstanding, to say the least.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Actually, I'm not exactly sure what rhythmic layering is, but their music composing is without a doubt, outstanding, to say the least.
03-19-2011, 08:20 PM

This will always be one of my favorite 10k days tracks. I'm fairly new to the guitar ( playing ab a yr and half) and it's the first song I've ever learned start to finish. Amazes me how all the different riffs have these little similarities and the way Adam fits those all together with the weird timing. I'm just now really learning the technical side of music, but already adam's shit makes me wanna sell my new les paul and stop wasting my time.. It's wild to hear their music grow more and more complex with each album, you don't get to hear that with these bands putting out new bullshit every 6mo.. Always worth the wait...
Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

This will always be one of my favorite 10k days tracks. I'm fairly new to the guitar ( playing ab a yr and half) and it's the first song I've ever learned start to finish. Amazes me how all the different riffs have these little similarities and the way Adam fits those all together with the weird timing. I'm just now really learning the technical side of music, but already adam's shit makes me wanna sell my new les paul and stop wasting my time.. It's wild to hear their music grow more and more complex with each album, you don't get to hear that with these bands putting out new bullshit every 6mo.. Always worth the wait...
03-20-2011, 11:02 AM

No U
Old 03-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

No U
62827's Avatar 62827
05-08-2011, 10:46 PM

This song is awesome because of Justin Chancellor. I always love those "Justin" songs where they are just all about him and his sweet bass lines (which happens to be an extensive number of Tool's songs). Don't get me wrong, everyone contributes to this song in a vital way, but the way Justin's bass riff bounces back and forth with Maynard's vocals just makes you want to sing along and nod your head to the rhythm every time you hear it. I find it to be one of Tools most catchiest and memorable songs.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #20

Bincount™: 2

This song is awesome because of Justin Chancellor. I always love those "Justin" songs where they are just all about him and his sweet bass lines (which happens to be an extensive number of Tool's songs). Don't get me wrong, everyone contributes to this song in a vital way, but the way Justin's bass riff bounces back and forth with Maynard's vocals just makes you want to sing along and nod your head to the rhythm every time you hear it. I find it to be one of Tools most catchiest and memorable songs.
08-06-2012, 07:02 PM

I disagree. The position in this song is an original idea that confronts both the hippie new age pot head as well as the ignorant self-righteous law-upholding conservative aka "The Man". Both are hyopcrites when they act hgh and mighty when they are really full of shit and just spewing bullshit. I think its a pretty creative view on the cultures and society.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #21

Bincount™: 1

I disagree. The position in this song is an original idea that confronts both the hippie new age pot head as well as the ignorant self-righteous law-upholding conservative aka "The Man". Both are hyopcrites when they act hgh and mighty when they are really full of shit and just spewing bullshit. I think its a pretty creative view on the cultures and society.
Rerum Concordia Discors's Avatar Rerum Concordia Discors
08-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralareallofus View Post
This is exactly how I've always interpreted this song. Two kinds of people, usually thought of as opposites, actually not underdoing each other when it comes to being hypocritical. More in common with each other than either would like to admit.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralareallofus View Post
This is exactly how I've always interpreted this song. Two kinds of people, usually thought of as opposites, actually not underdoing each other when it comes to being hypocritical. More in common with each other than either would like to admit.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply