opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 07. Parabola
User Name
Password
Old 04-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #121
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135
Re: I don't really expect any response to this, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
fuck off
Now that wasn't very nice
Old 04-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #122
On Probation

Bincount™: 189

Shut tha heeell up punks! This be my space ya whoresons, find your own threads, dammit

gahdammit.

No really
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #123
On Probation

You, joining a band?

*sounds of muffled laughter heard in china*

sorry. So what are you doing in the band then, should you join?
Playing the trombone
Old 04-25-2008, 04:29 AM   #124
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0

mOn plays a mean bonerphone and is classically trained on the skinflute...so I've heard...
Old 04-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #125
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamison27 View Post
mOn plays a mean bonerphone and is classically trained on the skinflute...so I've heard...
Heh heh
Old 04-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #126
On Probation

ouch, that was a low blow. Who has taught you these lies?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 AM   #127
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well, I think any self respecting male should have mastered these "instruments" by the age of 13, but specifically, I heard em again the other day and thought it was a good opportunity to use em :-O
Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #128
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Well, I think any self respecting male should have mastered these "instruments" by the age of 13, but specifically, I heard em again the other day and thought it was a good opportunity to use em :-O
I'll bet you're pretty good on the skin flute yourself...lol
Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #129
Level 8 - Vociferous

Oh I'm better than "pretty good"!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #130
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

Can you play using solely your mouth?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #131
Level 8 - Vociferous

I guess I could...
Old 04-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #132
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

Okay I think that clears all doubt. You sir are a master of the skin flute.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #133
Level 8 - Vociferous

Spoken like a true profit!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #134
On Probation

What, is he your pimp now lol.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #135
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Why do you wanna know that? Wanna bargain on a price? ;)
Old 04-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #136
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Why do you wanna know that? Wanna bargain on a price? ;)
I get freebies, Rolo pays me 40% cut and I never even have to get out of my seat.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #137
Jedi Master

Dream on, Inner. Dream on ;)
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #138
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Dream on, Inner. Dream on ;)
**thinks of beautful women in bikinis, sandy beaches on a sunny day, ice cold coronas, a big bank to spend and absolutely nothing else to do**
Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #139
Jedi Master

Now that's a nice dream =-)
Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #140
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Now that's a nice dream =-)
Damn sure is.....used to live it too. Lived in Panama City Beach, FL for about 8yrs
Old 04-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #141
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc43 View Post
So familiar and overwhelmingly warm, this one, this form I hold now. Embracing you, this reality, here; this one, this form I hold now--so wide-eyed and hopeful. Wide-eyed and hopefully wild. We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment, choosing to be here, right now. Hold on, stay inside. This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone; this body makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment choosing to be here, right now. Hold on, stay inside this holy reality; this holy experience. Choosing to be here in this body. This body holding me, be my reminder here that I am not alone. This body; this body holding me feeling eternal. All this pain is an illusion. Alive, I, in this holy reality; in this holy experience. Choosing to be here in this body. This body holding me, be my reminder here that I am not alone. This body; this body holding me feeling eternal. All this pain is an illusion. Twirling around with this familiar parable; spinning; weaving around each new experience--recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing. A chance to be alive and breathing. This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment. Remember: we are eternal; all this pain is an illusion.

In case anyone is reading this with actual interest: I absolutely love these lyrics, as will some if not most of you, I suspect, and they inspire me to live my life, cheesy though it may sound. I have a question regarding this that I don't really expect answered but I think I want to put it out there anyway. I was sitting around with a friend, listening to music and it was getting late so I suggested we listen to only one more song--a Tool song. The friend responded with vague disgust, based on some fans of Tool that they had known in the past, but admitted to never having heard them. I played the song "Parabola" (starting from "Parabol," of course) and couldn't help but sing along because the lyrics really mean a lot to me--again, I know, cheesy, but bear with me. So when the epic song winds down I asked what they thought, ready for them to pick apart the music for being too long and wandering or thinking that the singing was annoying or something. Instead, the reaction was entirely different.

The music and singing were fine, if not great, according to my friend, but the lyrics seemed to deeply disturb them. I still can't figure this out, but somehow I feel terrible. They said that the viewpoint seemed entirely naive to them (which is, I suppose, viable criticism, if supported well) but aside from that it was much weirder. Apparently this song which I feel to be extremely positive somehow opened up a ton of negative feelings--they literally said that they just sort of hated everything, because of how the song emotionally impacted them. Profound, I guess, but not exactly what I (or Maynard, I'm sure) was hoping for.

That's about it...I guess the weird thing is that I feel like a jerk for sharing this song that very much exemplifies my view of life--not because my friend didn't like the music, but because my friend is now in an extremely disturbed mood somehow. I'm not entirely sure why I'm openly telling this to a message board, but I'm curious if anyone can offer me any sort of insight into this. Do these lyrics inspire you to violence and hatred? If you don't particularly care for them that's one thing, but to invoke the exact opposite emotion they create in me is fairly incomprehensible to me. I find the song to be so beautiful that while it's one thing to be indifferent towards it, to be so frustrated and angered by it confuses me to no end. So yeah, that's all I have to say about it, really. Don't feel the need to respond to this unless you really feel you have anything to say; or if you've had a similar experience sharing Tool's music with anyone. I really just wanted to get what I was thinking down in words and if you happen to be as confused as I am, maybe you can at least validate the way that I'm feeling right now.

Parabola is one of the most inspiring songs I ever heard. I totally know what you mean. And I do not understand why anyone would think otherwise.

I've shared the Parabolic duo with several people---I've told many of them the spectrum of what I saw in it, and the feeling that stretched through me when I hear it. I know lots of people might deem that as obsessed and too deep, but I believe that is the way music is supposed to overcome you. It's supposed to engulf you and make you feel complete. And music is meant to be worked on until perfection by the musician and then embraced by the listener in its complete and utter beauty.

Parabola, to me, seems to explain life through a much more positive perspective---in fact, I see nothing but bliss, hope, and a future in that song.

To me, it explains how we take our bodies for granted at amazingly large intervals, and few people stop to think exactly how meaningful it is to have a body to manifest our dreams. Shouldn't we see this as a relic---a reward for whatever we may have done long, long ago?

And the song explains this bliss, this rebirth through a perspective that few tread upon---this bliss to be able to leave a mark on others lives---to influence people, something that would be deemed impossible without a vessel to do our bidding.

That's TOOL from my perspective. I don't expect others to feel in a similar fashion, but that's my perspective.

And that's what Parabola and the Lateralus album did to me in general. It was sublime. I saw it as the happiness of birth and mortality---the actual ability to feel the privelege of actual ability being alive and breathing.

No one else I knew seemed to see what I saw, or anything good in general within that song. Many of the people I knew just liked hard, rock-out music, and though that's all right, it really disturbed me as to how they never really stopped to think through another perspective other than what was right in front of them.

So, when I showed many other people the music of TOOL, along with Parabol and Parabola, few people seemed to feel it at all---and yes, some found it as either boring or negative.

You shouldn't feel like a jerk over that kind of thing. It's happened to me several times, and it's why they're not a fan in the first place. They don't see what TOOL fans see. They don't see what we see.

And if you see it, it makes you sensitive enough to feel through the collective unconscious. Which you should be proud of. :)
Old 04-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #142
Jedi Master

Precious..........

LOL

Nah, just kiddin' with you. Parabol/Parabola remains a great combination of songs. Good video too, imo.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #143
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxs View Post
Parabola is one of the most inspiring songs I ever heard. I totally know what you mean. And I do not understand why anyone would think otherwise.

I've shared the Parabolic duo with several people---I've told many of them the spectrum of what I saw in it, and the feeling that stretched through me when I hear it. I know lots of people might deem that as obsessed and too deep, but I believe that is the way music is supposed to overcome you. It's supposed to engulf you and make you feel complete. And music is meant to be worked on until perfection by the musician and then embraced by the listener in its complete and utter beauty.

Parabola, to me, seems to explain life through a much more positive perspective---in fact, I see nothing but bliss, hope, and a future in that song.

To me, it explains how we take our bodies for granted at amazingly large intervals, and few people stop to think exactly how meaningful it is to have a body to manifest our dreams. Shouldn't we see this as a relic---a reward for whatever we may have done long, long ago?

And the song explains this bliss, this rebirth through a perspective that few tread upon---this bliss to be able to leave a mark on others lives---to influence people, something that would be deemed impossible without a vessel to do our bidding.

That's TOOL from my perspective. I don't expect others to feel in a similar fashion, but that's my perspective.

And that's what Parabola and the Lateralus album did to me in general. It was sublime. I saw it as the happiness of birth and mortality---the actual ability to feel the privelege of actual ability being alive and breathing.

No one else I knew seemed to see what I saw, or anything good in general within that song. Many of the people I knew just liked hard, rock-out music, and though that's all right, it really disturbed me as to how they never really stopped to think through another perspective other than what was right in front of them.

So, when I showed many other people the music of TOOL, along with Parabol and Parabola, few people seemed to feel it at all---and yes, some found it as either boring or negative.

You shouldn't feel like a jerk over that kind of thing. It's happened to me several times, and it's why they're not a fan in the first place. They don't see what TOOL fans see. They don't see what we see.

And if you see it, it makes you sensitive enough to feel through the collective unconscious. Which you should be proud of. :)
I can dig that
Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #144
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I can dig that
Was that, like, my first post or something?

I still remember that.
I was in class...o_o
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #145
On Probation

Quote:
Precious..........

LOL

Nah, just kiddin' with you. Parabol/Parabola remains a great combination of songs. Good video too, imo.
The video is the best one i've seen EVER.
So much imagery, symbolism and mysticism
Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #146
On Probation

Wow, another statement from Rivek with incredible profoundness.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #147
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I know, right?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #148
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I'll take a high five, thank you.

Goodbye now.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #149
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Dudes, form a line to my right for high fives.

Ladies, form a line to my left for makeouts.
Conformity at it's best
Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #150
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I wonder which line would go by faster.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #151
On Probation

I dunno, but i'm sneaking into the left line to uh....get the line moving faster.
Expect screams of joy.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #152
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
I dunno, but i'm sneaking into the left line to uh....get the line moving faster.
Expect screams of joy.
I will not try to decipher those profound words.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #153
Level 8 - Vociferous

I think its obvious that the line to the right would move faster being that a high five takes significantly less time to conduct than a makeout. So the better question would be, which line will empty first.

Of course, it gets more complicated if we consider the variables:
1. Will Rivek alternate evenly between high fives and makeouts?
2. Is the allotted makeout time set beforehand, or would be up to each lady?
3. Are ladies eligble to receive both a high five and a makeout and vice versa?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #154
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
3. nope. The lines are gender-biased. Any who break this rule will be banned from life.
That might get some dudes disappointed.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #155
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I think its obvious that the line to the right would move faster being that a high five takes significantly less time to conduct than a makeout. So the better question would be, which line will empty first.

Of course, it gets more complicated if we consider the variables:
1. Will Rivek alternate evenly between high fives and makeouts?
2. Is the allotted makeout time set beforehand, or would be up to each lady?
3. Are ladies eligble to receive both a high five and a makeout and vice versa?
Well, of course, after the neck kissing and cutsie smooching with Rivek, the left line starts again at my place for the real deal
Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #156
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Whatever happened to kissing as pilgrim's hands do touch?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #157
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxs View Post
Whatever happened to kissing as pilgrim's hands do touch?
Huh?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #158
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Juliet decided to symbolize kissing as pilgrims do, by holding hands.

Unfortunately, Romeo was too passionate for such.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #159
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Well, of course, after the neck kissing and cutsie smooching with Rivek, the left line starts again at my place for the real deal
So you're comfortable with Rivek's leftovers then?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #160
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Where the fuck have you been?

1. I'll keep one hand up in the air while making out, thus keeping both lines moving.
2. up to the lady, yo.
3. nope. The lines are gender-biased. Any who break this rule will be banned from life.
Changed jobs, have an infant, but I've been checking in once every other while or so.

1. Great plan. Sounds like you've done this before.
2. So all it would take is one to enjoy herself and the high five line should empty first.
3. What type of checks and balances would be in place? Drag technology is phenomenal these days.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: