opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/10/02 - Wilkes-Barre, PA - Wachovia Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/10/02 - Wilkes-Barre, PA - Wachovia Arena

Same setlist as the last few shows, which is nothing to complain about:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Wings/10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

The new album is much better in person than on the album itself. The Pot got everyone going (and quite a few people blazing). Jambi was electrifying. Vicarious was just amazing. I'd read the threads here so I knew what to expect as far as a set list, but the show still impressed.

The best songs for me were Stinkfist, Jambi, Schism, and Aenema. Maynard didn't hit the higher notes during the intro to The Pot, which was a little disappointing. Every song was good though. The crowd stayed on their feet for the most part. I think my section was the only one that sat down at all. I was one of maybe 10 people standing in section 110 the whole show. It got pretty mellow during Wings/10000 Days.

Security wasn't as tight as other shows I've read about, but they got all over you if you had a lighter lit for longer than it takes to light a cig. I saw a bunch of people getting busted during 10000 Days. At the end of the song, though, the place came alive with lighters, and I had my Zippo lit for a good 5 minutes with no harassment. They seemed to give up with busting people once that song ended and until Lateralus started.

I have to say the audio wasn't the greatest. If you didn't already know all the songs, you wouldn't get a single word of the lyrics, or even know there were lyrics at times. Even being a Tool fan since Undertow, I had trouble. It was plenty loud but the mixing could've use a few tweaks.

The opening act, Isis, was OK, but I'm not about to buy any of their albums. They came across as an instrumental Tool knockoff. I didn't see anybody at all stand during their performance.

Tool themself played from about 9:00 to 10:45. Maynard word his cowboy boots and hat. He rarely left the left-center of the stage, but he was animated.

Overall, worth every penny I spent. The 8 beers I slammed while getting ready and in the parking lot were plenty, but I bought a Molson Light for $4.75 just so I'd have something to drink inside the arena. Traffic was no problem at all. I got right in to the lot around 7:30 and got out within 5 minutes once I made it back to the car after the lights came on.

Thank you, Tool, for coming to Wilkes-Barre.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Banned.

Location: 41 degrees 23'57"42" N by 75 degrees 42'38.51" W elevation 822
Bincount™: 93

exhausted so this is gonna be blunt

first tool show, would of been great if stupid shit didnt keep happening around me, it pissed me off that the people all the way in the back paid 70$ a ticket and couldnt see shit while those who paid 35 could just angled a little, it pissed me off more when a 9 or 10 year old kid couldnt see anything and almost got ejected for standing on a chair with his parents holding him. i mean it wasnt anything tool had control over im just major pissed at wachovia, they advertised the tickets as general admission and anyone whos from the area knows that means standing pit and a few weeks later i get told they are only seats, either way it was a good show and the sound varied from place to place, alot of lyrics i think he either sang to low or just skipped all together,thanks tool and the visuals for rosetta stoned kinda creeped me out in a good synchronistic way;);)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

well, yes. indeed. To put it blunt, i couldnt see A THING. I had security yell at me 9 times for standing in the middle area instead of the seat area, and i was standing in my correct section...., they were major assholes. i think they may have been watching me for some reason, i wasnt really getting into it at all....., and actually considered leaving because security were so nazi.
I didnt really hear any maynardisms from where i was at. I really wanted to see the visuals..., i think i spent more time looking for a spot where i wasnt going to get yelled at, then enjoying the band.
NOt to mention the ticketfuck i had to go through...., i ended up having to purchase an extra 50 dollar ticket to get back into the venue,,... all because some dumbass fucker that worked there sent me through the wrong door.
I really enjoyed the show from wings for marie on.., i sort of figured i wasnt going to be able to see even a glimpse of the band, and i had lasers to keep me entertained the rest of the show. AEnema was the best song of the night....., the bands performance was fucking brilliant tho from what i heard, although, for my first tool show, i think i was sold short of the full experience.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

This show was better than Camden by leaps and bounds. While Wachovia Arena is still a garbage place to see a concert, it is less so than the Tweeter Center. The laser show for "10,000 Days" was much more prominent inside, rather than just having the lasers dissipate like they did in an open-air amphitheatre. The band seemed tighter in Wilkes-Barre, too. Every song was solid, even the vocals, which were subject to scrutiny lately with Maynard's health issues. There were times where he stayed away fro mthe higher notes, but I can understand that, having to play countless shows. The encore songs were noticeably louder than the rest of the set, too. By the time "Vicarious" ended, it felt like there were a family of possums running through my skull. All in all, it was a great show, it's just a shame that northeastern PA is a fucking black hole.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

TOOL fucking rocked tonight, i just got back from the show, not only were the songs performed amazingly, the visual stimulation was off the charts....the stage setup blew me away...They played magnificently and i am honered to have witnessed the greatness!!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Without a doubt, TOOL fucking rocked the house tonight...

Cruised up from Harrisburg to catch the show tonight, the venue was easy access off 81 for sure, getting in there was a piece of cake, just under 2 hours...

Got inside at about 7:45 or so... I was seated about center ice, row N, sec. 117, seat 9... thanks to my brother for grabbing us tickets and to our good friends for coming along, who finally got to see what TOOL is about...

I think the pre-concert background music was the worst shit I have ever heard at any show, both before ISIS and TOOL. Speaking of ISIS, well I wasn't too impressed. Way too many strings up there and the only one that sounded good was the keyboardist when he grabbed the guitar. I couldn't even hear the keys anyway with all of the noise everyone with strings was making. I guess they have potential but I think there's too many of them just hitting a few notes and chords and jumping around a little too much. I heard them. I saw them. I wasn't impressed. I could hardly wait till it was over actually. But I think a lot of that is because I was really only there for TOOL.

So they came out with Stinkfist, it was great to see all of them up there again after so long. I thought the sound was a little off for Stinkfist and was hoping they would get it better, maybe it was just the venue making the sound a little distorted and it wasn't too easy to hear Maynard almost half of the time...

Having the Pot second kicked major ass, Stinkfist was awesome in spite of the sound, but the Pot was off the hook. So was Danny, the whole freaking show, man, un-fucking-believeable how much he rips that shit up... Several times during the night it was like thousands of machine guns going off all at once, and just trails from his arms... The Pot is fucking awesome live... Someone said earlier about the new album sounding much better live, definitely have to agree with that...

46&2 sounded great, probably better than stinkfist... Some of the songs tonight definitely sounded cleaner and less distorted, the sound wasn't totally fucked the entire night... Seems like they just need to get the mixing down a little better on the soundboard for some of the newer stuff... Lateralus probably sounded about the best, but there were a few others that were clean sounding also... I just forget at the moment... Danny again on 46 & 2, fucking awesome...

Jambi isn't one of my favorites, it's always great to hear something I haven't heard them play before but I would have rather heard Right In Two... And the sound was a little rough for it too I think... But they still nailed it, the whole band sounded great, the sound people just didn't have it together as good.

I always like hearing Schism but it wasn't one of my favorite performances of it at all. The new jam is pretty awesome, and Danny is on fire at the end of that little part also, but the song just didn't have the energy it had during Lateralus tour.

Lost Keys into Rosetta Stoned, holy fucking shit! That got right on top of me for sure, and it sounded better live than I thought it would. It's still annoying trying to hear Maynard make out words in the beginning, but after that I think the song is fucking off the hook... And the video was pretty sweet also, especially towards the end when they started flashing all of the different images...

Wings and 10,000 days also sounded pretty good I thought, they played them both great... The support from the crowd at the end was really good to see too, I thought there was a lot of noise being made and you could tell everyone in the band except for maybe Maynard appreciated it...

Lateralus definitely sounded great... So did Vicarious... Anema didn't sound as clean but it was fucking fun.... Lateralus was more fun though..

Overall, I was really impressed with the performance of the band. I thought the sound crew could have done better. Lateralus tour had much more variety of eye candy and props and freaky people hanging and swinging and crazy shit all over the place, the alex grey art dropping down and everything else made that one way more enjoyable to view I believe. I was expecting a lot more out of them I guess for the visuals and props, but maybe they'll do more in the Spring.

Still, without a doubt, TOOL fucking rocked the house tonight... Holy fucking shit, it was awesome.

Last edited by pisceandelusions; 10-02-2006 at 10:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 04:16 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

By the way, does anyone else know how good Danny Carey is??
I mean, are there any words to describe how good of a drummer he is?

I was on the floor in the middle about 30 rows back and I thought the sound was excellent. Maynards voice was clear mostly except for "Rosetta" where he was way too muffled. Justin's bass was just POUNDING! Danny's kick drums were so punchy. Adams guitar was clear and loud! Very good sound mix from where I was, but I know how the acoustics are in the damn Wachovia, and there are definitely places to sit that have a shitty sound.

Highlights:
Maynard was very animated and moving around a lot.
The middle jam in "Schism" was cool. That was new for me.
"Jambi" just rocks.
Justin totally getting into it at the end of "aenima"
The cool laser effect in "Lateralus" that made you feel like you were being crushed by a compactor on the floor.

Also, the setlist is made for those people who only see ONE show.
Not for us crazy fucks who go to six or seven every tour.
If that was your first or only TOOL show, you would have been happy.

By the way, does anyone know how good Danny Carey is?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:21 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum81 View Post
This show was better than Camden by leaps and bounds. While Wachovia Arena is still a garbage place to see a concert, it is less so than the Tweeter Center. The laser show for "10,000 Days" was much more prominent inside, rather than just having the lasers dissipate like they did in an open-air amphitheatre. The band seemed tighter in Wilkes-Barre, too. Every song was solid, even the vocals, which were subject to scrutiny lately with Maynard's health issues. There were times where he stayed away fro mthe higher notes, but I can understand that, having to play countless shows. The encore songs were noticeably louder than the rest of the set, too. By the time "Vicarious" ended, it felt like there were a family of possums running through my skull. All in all, it was a great show, it's just a shame that northeastern PA is a fucking black hole.
Camden was better, sound quality was horrid at the Wachovia Arena. I hope continental airlines is better then the muffled concert I heard here. The sound quality was astonishing at the Tweeter

One other thing what a bunch of wierdos at this show, I saw like 40 people that looked like future child molesters.

And yes Danny Carey does own he was the highlight of the night in my opinion along with Justin playing the bass with beer bottle

Last edited by Strife21; 10-03-2006 at 05:30 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
Camden was better, sound quality was horrid at the Wachovia Arena. I hope continental airlines is better then the muffled concert I heard here. The sound quality was astonishing at the Tweeter

One other thing what a bunch of wierdos at this show, I saw like 40 people that looked like future child molesters.

And yes Danny Carey does own he was the highlight of the night in my opinion along with Justin playing the bass with beer bottle
Hey Strife21, it was good talking to you before the show last night. I agree 100% that Tweeter Center was a much better show. I was 5th row behind the pit in Tweeter and 3rd row from the stage in Wachovia, so a little better seat in Wilkes-Barre, but the sound was awful. The sound in Camden was awesome from a similar spot.

I did like the relative smallness of the venue, and I talked to quite a few really cool people, but overall, the crowd seemed not completely into the show. You could tell by the way MJK barely said anything and by the band's body language that they were disappointed in the crowd's sedateness. Only at the very end of the show did the crowd finally make some real noise, and the band walked off happy I think.

Hartford is next!
12-Aug-02 Trenton, NJ | 13-Aug-02 NYC | 29-Oct-02 PHL | 17-May-06 PHL | 19-May-06 NYC | 20-May-06 NYC | 28-Sep-06 Camden, NJ | 02-Oct-06 Wilkes-Barre, PA | 05-Oct-06 Hartford, CT | 06-Oct-06 East Rutherford, NJ | 07-Oct-06 Long Island, NY | 09-Jun-07 Atlantic City, NJ | 23-Jun-07 Fort Wayne, IN | 29-Jun-07 Cincinnati, OH | 07-Aug-09 Cincinnati, OH | 16-Jul-10 Las Vegas, NV | 15-Mar-14 Las Vegas, NV | 22-Jan-16 STL | 23-Jan-16 Nashville, TN | 29-Oct-16 NOLA | 08-Jun-17 Rosemont, IL | 20-May-18 Columbus, OH | 08-May-19 Louisville, KY | 13-May-19 STL | 04-Jun-19 Prague | 05-Jun-19 Vienna | 15-Oct-19 DEN | 16-Oct-19 DEN | 31-Oct-19 MKE | 11-Nov-19 Toronto | 12-Nov-19 Toronto | 24-Nov-19 Raleigh, NC | 18-Jan-20 Glendale, AZ | 21-Jan-20 ATX | 29-Jan-20 Nashville, TN
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show, and I was not disappointed. The band was so tight.

Setlist:

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty-Six&2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days

--break--

Lateralus
Vicarious (w/ intro)
Aenema

ISIS were okay. I enjoyed a few of their songs, but I wasn't hugely impressed by them.

Security at the show was tight as hell, so I was unable to get any pictures of the show. I really wanted to take a few shots of the light show, because it was very awesome. But, the important thing is...

TOOL FUCKING KICKED ASS. This show was definitely one of the best concerts I've been to. As I said above, the band was SO tight, and they sounded amazing. Maynard talked a bit with the audience at times, too, which was cool. The best songs of the show for me were Wings/10,000 Days and Lateralus. I had GREAT seats for the show, and no one was blocking my view (I'm only 5'2"), which I was happy about.

The only thing about the show I didn't like didn't have a thing to do with the band. A bunch of people in the seats in front of me were smoking pot practically the whole show. Now, I have nothing against other people smoking weed, but I myself do not. My problem here was that every time they would blow the smoke, it would drift right into my face (and I hate the smell of pot smoke). After a while I just decided I had to deal with it.

I noticed during one of the songs (I can't remember which, though) that Justin was tapping the strings of his bass with a bottle. Pretty cool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 06:47 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by millermt View Post
Hey Strife21, it was good talking to you before the show last night. I agree 100% that Tweeter Center was a much better show. I was 5th row behind the pit in Tweeter and 3rd row from the stage in Wachovia, so a little better seat in Wilkes-Barre, but the sound was awful. The sound in Camden was awesome from a similar spot.

I did like the relative smallness of the venue, and I talked to quite a few really cool people, but overall, the crowd seemed not completely into the show. You could tell by the way MJK barely said anything and by the band's body language that they were disappointed in the crowd's sedateness. Only at the very end of the show did the crowd finally make some real noise, and the band walked off happy I think.

Hartford is next!
Yea Maynard was not near as active on stage as he usually is. He barely said anything and the crowd really wasnt into the show. Have fun in Hartford man. The laser show was better here though because it was indoors.

Last edited by Strife21; 10-03-2006 at 06:50 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 06:50 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

this was my 3rd tool show. i had perfect seats, a new angle on things i was in the corner of the way right side stage rocking the fuck out while people around where sitting down, its amazing. maynard looked over at my hubby and i and smiled, maybe he thought damn im glad someone can feel this shit--the view of danny pounding his drums made my jaw grop a couple times..hes a fuckin monster..i could acually see adam and justin rockin out!!

I have to say even though i had a new view at this show, the DC show was sooo much better, the crowd there was ready to have fun..everyone was jammin out, maynard was more into it.

The music was good, a few times I couldnt hear him singing.

Worth every penny..To be able to feel the music live like that, another AMAZING experience!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

I saw Nine Inch Nails here last November. Just drove up, no parking fee, walked right in, no security, general admission, no problems. Tonight the security was tighter than at any airport. The line to get in was huge with everyone being searched one at a time. They were even searching women’s hair!? The guy in front of me wasn’t allowed to being his walled in because it had a chain attached. Am I missing something? Was there some horribly violent crime here in the last year?

Isis had a good sound, but the vocals didn’t exist. Basically just background filler. Some semi drunk fat neck guy came in 15 seconds before they ended, started yelling “WOOOOOOOOO!!” then left the second they ended. He stayed for maybe the first 2 Tool songs and then was gone the rest of the show. No idea what goes on with some people.

The music before Tool drifted into someone reading schematics for what sounded like a robot. Incredibly bizarre.
Tool was amazing except for the CB style vocals of Rosetta in the beginning. Even Maynard motioned a few times to turn it up.
They only thing he said was for everyone to say “four” in the beginning and “goodbye” at the start of Aenima.
Security was insane and I wouldn’t want to go back there again without GA. Even though a woman next to me somehow got her camera in.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

4th Tool show in 9 years, 2nd of this tour and probably one of the best. There seemed to be too many empty seats but overall the crowd was loud as hell. Perfect seats, couldn't have been much better, section 218 row c. Close enough to see which drum heads Danny was hitting, Maynards facial expressions, plus Adams & Justins fretting, perfect visuals from looking onto the stage, no obstuctions whatsoever. Sound wasn't bad at all from where i was sitting, 40ft away directly infront of a speaker columns the louder the better when it comes to Tool.

Security was tight, but there is always ways around that. A little after Tool went on they backed off and didn't pay too much attention. Joint smoking went as planned, and definatly elevated the show for me and my surrounding seats. Honestly every Tool show i've been to has (for the most part) very respectful people, just in the way people help eachother out to make the show as good as possible. You know what i'm talking about, what goes around comes around.

The only complaint I can think of was the setlist; every song was very solid and tight as always, with barely any mistakes. But one of my biggest hopes for this show was that they were gonna change up at least one song. Durring the bands break b4 "vicarious" all 4 members sat down center stage listening to the screaming crowd, and conversing with eachother. It just seemed like they were thinking "hmm whats the sickest song we can play to make everyone at this crappy venue's heads explode?", it didn't happen. Great show overall but the cards just didn't fall for hardcore Tool fans. Maby next time...
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn03 View Post
I saw Nine Inch Nails here last November. Just drove up, no parking fee, walked right in, no security, general admission, no problems. Tonight the security was tighter than at any airport. The line to get in was huge with everyone being searched one at a time. They were even searching women’s hair!? The guy in front of me wasn’t allowed to being his walled in because it had a chain attached. Am I missing something? Was there some horribly violent crime here in the last year?
I saw NIN at the Wachovia Arena last year, too, and I totally agree. The security last night was SO fucking tight. When I saw NIN I got in with my camera no problem, and I wasn't hassled by any of the arena's employees.

My dad was talking with one of the security guards inside the venue, and the guy told him that the staff had a meeting an hour or so before doors opened, and that the band requested the security be very strict, because supposedly they expected some trouble last night, and for people to throw things at them while they were on stage or something like that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

secruity was tight as hell.....but it was like that when i saw apc there awhile back....cops drivng up and down the rows staring into peoples cars....ridonkulous....but i had floor seats and was standing right next to the soundstage...sounded awesome....another cool thing is that adam's wife camella walked right by me....shes smoking hot.....can't wait to see them in east rutherford....ill be the drunk stoned dude rockin out.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #18
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJBJB View Post
secruity was tight as hell.....but it was like that when i saw apc there awhile back....cops drivng up and down the rows staring into peoples cars....ridonkulous....but i had floor seats and was standing right next to the soundstage...sounded awesome....another cool thing is that adam's wife camella walked right by me....shes smoking hot.....can't wait to see them in east rutherford....ill be the drunk stoned dude rockin out.....
was she the blonde woman in the sound board area?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

AHAHAHAh..........Ok im not going to say this show sucked....because TooL is good no matter what.....BUT fuck the Wachovia Arena!!!!!! After being violated by the women who patted me down, i had a feeling the night was going to go in a different direction. My main beef was the crowd......my section was filled with the typical, "lets get fucked up and look at pretty lights........TOOL? OH yeah i head of those guys" kinda crowd. I could tell also that Maynard just wasnt feeling the place. He spoke to the crowd maybe twice throught the whole set. I hope some people caught the lil' jon impression in stinkfist.....i got a nice chuckle out of that one.
I wish everyone who was at this show could have gone to the D.C. show saturday.....because honestly.....that is how its done right there.....Wilkes-Barre did not hold up the energy like D.C. The whole band was feeling the crowd. Good show though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

I'm happy to report that I wouldn't recognize what a Lil' Jon impression would look like.
12-Aug-02 Trenton, NJ | 13-Aug-02 NYC | 29-Oct-02 PHL | 17-May-06 PHL | 19-May-06 NYC | 20-May-06 NYC | 28-Sep-06 Camden, NJ | 02-Oct-06 Wilkes-Barre, PA | 05-Oct-06 Hartford, CT | 06-Oct-06 East Rutherford, NJ | 07-Oct-06 Long Island, NY | 09-Jun-07 Atlantic City, NJ | 23-Jun-07 Fort Wayne, IN | 29-Jun-07 Cincinnati, OH | 07-Aug-09 Cincinnati, OH | 16-Jul-10 Las Vegas, NV | 15-Mar-14 Las Vegas, NV | 22-Jan-16 STL | 23-Jan-16 Nashville, TN | 29-Oct-16 NOLA | 08-Jun-17 Rosemont, IL | 20-May-18 Columbus, OH | 08-May-19 Louisville, KY | 13-May-19 STL | 04-Jun-19 Prague | 05-Jun-19 Vienna | 15-Oct-19 DEN | 16-Oct-19 DEN | 31-Oct-19 MKE | 11-Nov-19 Toronto | 12-Nov-19 Toronto | 24-Nov-19 Raleigh, NC | 18-Jan-20 Glendale, AZ | 21-Jan-20 ATX | 29-Jan-20 Nashville, TN
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #21
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryry85 View Post
AHAHAHAh..........Ok im not going to say this show sucked....because TooL is good no matter what.....BUT fuck the Wachovia Arena!!!!!! After being violated by the women who patted me down, i had a feeling the night was going to go in a different direction. My main beef was the crowd......my section was filled with the typical, "lets get fucked up and look at pretty lights........TOOL? OH yeah i head of those guys" kinda crowd. I could tell also that Maynard just wasnt feeling the place. He spoke to the crowd maybe twice throught the whole set. I hope some people caught the lil' jon impression in stinkfist.....i got a nice chuckle out of that one.
I wish everyone who was at this show could have gone to the D.C. show saturday.....because honestly.....that is how its done right there.....Wilkes-Barre did not hold up the energy like D.C. The whole band was feeling the crowd. Good show though.
i agree man i was in the area on the floor to the right of the sound board row h section fl7 seat 5, i was the guy doin the crazy dance with my shirt off the whole night lol, but the energy of the crowd around me cept a few friends and one or 2 people u could tell who really felt the music sucked, i felt out of place the majority of the night and as i said above i got really pissed at security and ended up screaming at 2 of them, fucking 70$ for a view that you could of gotten better for 35$ wtf, that 10 year old kid in front of me set me off, i mean it was his first show and he ended up sitting down crying the whole time because security wouldnt let his parents hold him up. not to mention my friends gf who was next to me actually went and demanded cheaper seats so she could see, it was a great show tho i just dont reccomend wachovia. fuck.... second day and they still have my pissed off lol
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #22
there's a cloud
but the water remains calm

Bincount™: 3180

The tool show was fucking incredible....

I see a lot of bitching about location, vocals, sound, etc. but i can tell you as an obsessed tool fan I was just happy to be there and hear the band perform. I don't care that i couldn't really see, i don't care that maynard didn't hit high note. I was happy i was there to feel the energy tool brought to the stage and hear the music that i truely love.

Thank you Tool for making my night!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

i was in floor 9... by the sound booth..., i was pissed about a quarter way through... ... the security guards just ruined it.

but, for the extra tight security, i think i may know why they expected things to get thrown at them. I was talking to a guy at the tatoo shop in my local town(i have no tatoos), and he was like "i saw apc about 2 years ago, and they had things thrown at them" he also said that maynard said he would never come back to the area again.

Last edited by metalforever; 10-03-2006 at 03:02 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #24
Hym
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
The opening act, Isis, was OK, but I'm not about to buy any of their albums. They came across as an instrumental Tool knockoff. I didn't see anybody at all stand during their performance.
They don't sound anything like TOOL. They actually have harmony and their music has depth unlike TOOL's. They also have original lyrics. I am a TOOL fan but the amount of shit I've heard when people talk about ISIS is unbelievable. It's the same as when someone listens to a few TOOL songs and says they're too long/wierd or any other annoying thing people say before delving into the music properly. ISIS have created their own sound taking elements from bands like Godflesh, not TOOL. They aren't a knock-off in the slightest. Also, before anyone talks shit, TOOL have been my favourite band since I was 11, and I can actually look objectively at ISIS and see that from a musical stand point they annihilate TOOL. Give them a proper chance, unless you don't understand the mission of ambient music and would rather listen to regressive progressive rock.

</rant>
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormalgirl View Post
The tool show was fucking incredible....

I see a lot of bitching about location, vocals, sound, etc. but i can tell you as an obsessed tool fan I was just happy to be there and hear the band perform. I don't care that i couldn't really see, i don't care that maynard didn't hit high note. I was happy i was there to feel the energy tool brought to the stage and hear the music that i truely love.

Thank you Tool for making my night!!!
Thank you paranormalgirl nothing in this life is perfect shit happens you just have to make the best of it why let it ruin your night. I was in SectionC (SHOCKEY hoodie) first row great seats right above the floor had the row to our selves above the crowd the sound might have been the greatest at times but still so glad to see Tool. Had my 2 neices and a friend with me they have never seen Tool but for 4 years now have been telling them how good they are well I think they found out last night. This was my 3rd time seeing Tool , seen them on the Laterlus tour in 2002 and got really lucky was at the Broome Arena in NY and seen them do 3rd eye,H, and the Grunge. Seen them at the Continental Arena we had seats on the side of the band but luckily it was the side of the most amazing drummer I have ever seen or heard, and I have heard some good one John Bonham,Carl Palmer. By the way I am 53 years old so when you see me sitting down its not because I am not enjoying my self,just old :). Well see you all in Jersey on Oct 6th.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

indeed.
all i heard during isis was "these guys are boring" wtf, you dont have to like it, just dont say it out loud, because these people were ruining it for the rest of us.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

good show....the guys weren't very impressed with the audience compared to the Tweeter shows. but they played every song very well and the lights and videos were sick. made made my head feel like a forgotton jiffy pop on high flame. The hole time I was thinking that my girlfriend was about to go into seizures at any moment, which was distracting. between the bass guitar and the spirits of the otherworld, the security guards kept getting in my face about shit...I said, "look here fool I'm trying to experience a band trying to experience us....get out my face suckafoo. you're deading the sceen"

Drove from NYC in synch with a couple friends who joined us in FT Lee. We got to the venue, which was actually part of a strip mall, or so it seemed. -weird- it was cool to see the Tool Trucks all lined up outside, parking was a breeze, I guess showing up at 9:10 has it's adantages. thanks parking dude, you know who you are. so, yeah after no lines at will call we walked into the venue and of course....BAM the shit goes down and we run to our very close to the stage floor seats and of course there are people hanging where are seats are and we're knocking into some others, so sorry, we just got there and yeah, the rest is history...Maynerd didn't say ANYTHING to the croud except a real fuckyou-like "GoodNight". But his performance was professional and into it/on but then he would be distracted or something and kinda hum-pronounce some words...10000 days was like way out of a drug induced dream I had like 14 years ago. holy fucking shit times 10K!! I dont blame him. 'but' Danny seemed to a yittle tired to me, in his usual greatness and complex booming electrosonic semistreams of etheral information in transcode, hyperdermic sandscript. I see where 50 shows in 60 days can do. Adam played standing in front of his amp stack a lot, or was that me, his solo in 10K has lyrics, I swear. Justin plays a mean bass, I mean, the same one the whole show through, a wooden beauty, plays it so well . it was cool to feel the specific interaction between his play and DC's.

it's been a good time so far, each setlist the same, but the show mutates off the variables involved in the venue, the people, seat locales etc.

Quickly-shout out to TOOL for rocking it out every fucking time. over and out.

Last edited by crisis; 10-03-2006 at 03:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

My second Tool show, both at the Wachovia Arena. I would have to say that the crowd was definitely not as into the show as the crowd in 2001. The crowd seemed pretty dead until the end. I was at the APC show here two years ago and did not witness anything thrown on stage so I can't say whether that was the reason for the extra security. I see most of the rock shows here and yesterday was by far the ugliest security ever. The show was great and while the acoustics are never good here they were actually better than the typical show in this building. The band was really tight and, while they're all great, Danny Carey is a gifted musician. He alone is worth the price of admission. It was a mind-blowing laser show last night and I got a kick out of the guitar techs in lab coats, but I preferred the larger video animation display on the last tour, along with Osseous Labyrint. That was some truly disturbing stuff.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hym View Post
They don't sound anything like TOOL. They actually have harmony and their music has depth unlike TOOL's. They also have original lyrics. I am a TOOL fan but the amount of shit I've heard when people talk about ISIS is unbelievable. It's the same as when someone listens to a few TOOL songs and says they're too long/wierd or any other annoying thing people say before delving into the music properly. ISIS have created their own sound taking elements from bands like Godflesh, not TOOL. They aren't a knock-off in the slightest. Also, before anyone talks shit, TOOL have been my favourite band since I was 11, and I can actually look objectively at ISIS and see that from a musical stand point they annihilate TOOL. Give them a proper chance, unless you don't understand the mission of ambient music and would rather listen to regressive progressive rock.

</rant>

IMHO, Adam and Justin create more depth and texture with one guitar and one bass than ISIS does with 3 guitarists and a bass. More sound doesn't mean more depth or texture. Adam and Justin are incredible because they can do more with less. I've now seen ISIS 3 times this year before Tool shows, and while I think they are a solid band, Tool is much much better in every respect. Annhilate Tool musically?...maybe you should rethink that...
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by talibad View Post
was she the blonde woman in the sound board area?
there was two blondes standing in the sound board area....one was there the whole show....have no idea who she was but she was hot too.....but aside from her, adams wife was the one with the curly blonde hair who was takin all those pictures before the show started.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #31
there's a cloud
but the water remains calm

Bincount™: 3180

hahaha i was the hot brunette in FL6 with the kid next to me dancing like he was taking seizures!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show and all I have to say is HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

First I'd like to say that Isis were a really good opening act. I just started listening to them recently and there really hard to get into but I am slowly becoming a fan of this band. They sound similar to the band Pelican (how are a great band you should check them out if you don't know who they are) in regard to basically being an instrumental band. They do have original good lyrics and vocals in most of their songs but their is about 2 minutes of screaming and some singing and 7 minutes of just music in their songs. This is what makes them hard to get into but how is it that much different from Tool, If you give Isis a chance you may just become a fan like me. But onto their set I thought it was a good set with three songs from the new album In The Absence Of Truth "Dulcinea" , "Not In Rivers, But In Drops" and the closer "Holy Tears" and they opened with "So We Did" from the Panopiction album. All the songs sounded good especially Dulcinea and Not In Rivers. The drummer was really good his double bass sounded awesome. Overall good warm up for Tool.

Now on to Tool, Maynard started the show by saying his first of two only comments to the crowd all night. But hey thats Maynard. His first comment was Holy Fucking Shit and then he got the crowd to scream 4 at the count of 3 which mostly everyone did. Then they kicked into Stinkfist and Maynard really kicked into it, he reminded me of Elaine dancing on Seinfeild funny stuff. Stinkfist sounded good and was a solid opener.
But it was really the second song The Pot that really got everyone going. Amazing song on cd even better than live despite Maynard not reaching all the high notes.
Forty-six and Two one of my favorite Tool songs great live. Carreys drums at the end were phenomenal.
Jambi great live song as I expected I wish they played Right In Two instead but I can't really complain. Maynard showed some real life in this song spinning the mic stand doing a cowboy dance with his cowboy hat and boots.
Schism was awesome it doesn't matter how many times I hear this song I still love it and still sing slong and live its even better. The new fast breakdown in the middle was mind blowing. Carrey once again was amazing.
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned was the song I was most looking forward to hearing live from the new album but I was a little disappointed the music really out drowned Maynard and it was tough to hear what Maynard says in the verses of that song how it is. But still music was flawless and overall a great song live. The background visuals were great during the breakdowns.
Wings for Marie/1000 Days was performance of the night for me the laser lights were awesome and the song just came off extremely well.
Wilkes Barre showed their support after the 1000 days when Tool took their break on stage the only band I have ever seen do that. The fans had lighters lit for the whole break and made lots of noise. Tool then came back with Lateralus which sounded the best live and then played Vicarious which also sounded very clean and good. Maynard then said his second and final comments to the crowd with a good night before breaking out Ænema great song to close with awesome performance the band still seem to have fun playing this song which is great.
Overall a phonemail show awesome visuals show,light show,music and stage presence. Holy fucking shit!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #33
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJBJB View Post
there was two blondes standing in the sound board area....one was there the whole show....have no idea who she was but she was hot too.....but aside from her, adams wife was the one with the curly blonde hair who was takin all those pictures before the show started.....
ahh ok i only saw one wearing a white shirt and light colord jeans with curly blonde hair
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

Saw both the W-B and Camden shows. I liked the Camden show a little bit more even though I was closer at the Wachovia Arena. I thought it was disappointing to see the large number of empty seats in W-B.

The stage set-up is a lot different than previous tours, and I can understand how some people do not like it. My feeling is it's a lot like your wife coming home with a totally different haircut. You may not like it at first, but give it time and you may come to love it. The bottom line is the person you love, or music you love in this case, is still what is the most important. So Tool is experimenting a bit, see how it all plays out in the long run. We may come to think of this tour as a joke, or may come to love it when looking back. I, personally, loved it, but don't know how I'll feel in a few years. Nevertheless, the music still is the best live music I have ever heard.

As for the actual show, the sound in section 118 was very loud (my ears were still ringing this afternoon) but it was a good mix, and clear for the most part, until the end of the set when my ears just couldn't take it (I'm getting old!). I've seen Tool in larger arenas and think their sound comes off a bit better in a venue that is a little bigger. The Wachovia arena is a bit small.

General reviews:

Music.....
The Pot - I wasn't a huge fan of this song on the cd, but have a new found appreciation for it. It's a great live song.
Stinkfist - I don't think there is a better choice for an opener.
Vicarious - Sounds better live than on the cd.
10,000 Days - Great song, but I think they can do without Wings for Marie.
Rosetta Stoned - I like this song on the cd, but do not like it live. I think between this song, and Wings for Marie, they can scrap them and add something from Undertow and perform Right in Two.

Musicians.....
Justin - He really stood out of all of them. I'm not generally a guy that pays attention to bassists, but he can simply play. Gets amazing sound.
Maynard - Was not into the show in W-B. Only spoke twice with the crowd (that was covered above). And I don't think this was mentioned, but during their sit-down before Lateralus, Maynard sat with the band for a few seconds and then proceeded to sit all alone behind the drumset for no reason whatsoever.
Danny - Excellent as always
Adam - I love how he plays guitar. Very mellow and relaxed, yet gets amazing sounds, and is a true professional.

Visuals.....
Much more colorful compared to the past. I like the change of pace, even though it seems a bit odd, or at least un-Tool-like, especially during Lateralus. I loved when the stage was orange (I think during Jambi), enjoyed the lasers, and loved several parts of their other visuals. I wish they still put larger screens up behind the band. In both shows I went to I never really got an opportunity to see the displays on the floor. I think a lot of Tool fans expect to be entertained via videos at a show, but it's not really the case this tour. Also, I do not really understand why they display videos on the Jumbotron. Who the heck is going to look to the center of the arena during one of their shows? If they want to display on the Jumbotron, they might as well just put one screen behind the band.

In sum, the best two shows (W-B and Camden) from any band I have seen since 2001, the last time I saw Tool. I like how they are changing their presentation. It's something new and that should be commended. These guys simply do not disappoint musically (which is the important part), and make every other band look bad when seeing them live.

Last edited by Undertowing; 10-03-2006 at 06:21 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was great because it's TOOL and from my experience they don't do bad shows, however there were a few things they could have improved and hopefully will before the next tour.

The first thing was the sound. Terrible. I had a pretty decent seat and I'm paying for it now because my ears are still ringing, but that's expectable at any loud concert. It was the sound QUALITY that got me. Some of the vocals and most of Justin's non-technical stuff was just completely washed out by the amp distortion on the right side and Adam's guitar on the left. It sounded like I was listening to the whole show from inside a blender filled with broken glass. It seemed to get louder and louder as the show went on and by the time they got to Schism it was all down hill as far as quality goes. I'm not blaming Tool or their crew for this, I just think the arena wasn't designed for quality acoustics.

The other aspect of the show I didn't really care for was the white stage/light show. It's a great concept but it just doesnt seem to work that well. Using the stage as a screen was neat but it was so big and blurry that I had to keep checking the scoreboard to see what I was looking at. I was BLOWN AWAY by the massive back-drop screens they used on the Lateralus tour and this just didn't thrill me at all. The same goes for the laser lights. They were neat but kind of redundant at the same time. First of all if you're going to do a light show you have to go all out the way Pink FLoyd used to. Tool's lights were kind of half-assed. Secondly if you're going to have a light show then why use videos at all? I don't think Tool is really a laser light type of band. Part of their "tick" has always been the mysticism vs. in-your-faceness (yeah I just made that up) that concert-goers got to experience by watching them play their music live while watching these creatively GENIUS videos play in the background. Trying to figure out that big mess on the floor really took away from the show (no I didn't have floor seats).

Other than that the show was great. The set list was awsome...I won't bother posting it because I'm sure someone else already has. and the security was suprisingly cool.

One lat thing: what the hell was the big black thing(s) running the length of the stage that the security guys were leaning on? Can some one tell me?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

I hate to reiterate what everyone else is saying but…HOLY FUCKING SHIT! That was an awesome display of power for a band that has been on a world tour since May! I am fucking impressed. Some of you may have seen me wandering about with my illuminated leather jacket with the killer Tool logo strobing away on my back. Got my picture taken by Camilla when I shamelessly circled the soundboard like a vulture a few times. I only pray she shows it to the band. Maybe next time you go to a show they will be wearing light up stuff that I made and the drumheads will have their graphics lit up too… In my wettest dream! OK! Sorry guys I’m awake now…Hope to see you guys again soon.

Jimmy C The light up jacket guy!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #37
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmus View Post
I hate to reiterate what everyone else is saying but…HOLY FUCKING SHIT! That was an awesome display of power for a band that has been on a world tour since May! I am fucking impressed. Some of you may have seen me wandering about with my illuminated leather jacket with the killer Tool logo strobing away on my back. Got my picture taken by Camilla when I shamelessly circled the soundboard like a vulture a few times. I only pray she shows it to the band. Maybe next time you go to a show they will be wearing light up stuff that I made and the drumheads will have their graphics lit up too… In my wettest dream! OK! Sorry guys I’m awake now…Hope to see you guys again soon.

Jimmy C The light up jacket guy!
lol i saw you outside and inside and i have to ask where the fuck did you get that jacket? it seriously stood out alot, i had green shorts on and an alex grey long sleeve
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 12:53 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

i still cant believe no one else caught the fucking lil jon impression in stinkfist.......maynard was building up his scream for the "bridge" section "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! OKAY!!!!!!!!!!" you know from the chappell show?........just thought it was odd that no one else posted bout that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 06:29 AM   #39
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 107

Hey Jimmy C .. me and my girlfriend got a business card off you in the parking lot.. I was the Tool fan that said nice coat :)

awsome show.. in class now, but will post some sort of a review later..
Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

1. Stinkfist
2. The Pot
3. 46&2
4. Jambi
5. Schism
6. Lost Keys
7. Rosetta Stoned
8. Wings Pt 1
9. Wings Pt 2
10. Lateralus
11. Vicarious
12. Aenima

Man i don't even know where to begin with this. This is my 5th. Tool show. I think we had the best seats for this show than we've had for any other. Center ice, Club seats section 117, Row N. We got seated at 7:30 and the first band started exactly at 8:00. Pre-concert background music sucked, and Isis was pretty shitty too. The drummer was okay, but there were too many guitars that just distorted the sound. Vocals...wtf was he saying? I can't even begin to get into something where they gotta scream at the top of their lungs throughout the whole song. Thankfully, they were done at 8:30 though, but then the intermission music was the same kind of shit they played before Isis started.

Everybody seemed to be easier to see this time around than in the past. The crowd seemed pretty responsive, a lot of people stood up the whole time, but there were a few who sat down and also a lot of people who had no idea what they were even listening to. The dude next to me even asked after Isis was done...."Tool is up next, right?" What the fuck did you think you were buying a ticket for?

Stinkfist sounded a little distorted, but The Pot kicked ass live! I could tell Maynard was trying to save his voice though in a few parts throughout the show because he skipped a few lines here and there or would barely sing them at all.

46&2 was incredible, Danny ripped it up on that song, fucking kicked ass! Jambi wasn't too bad, not really one of my favorites but it was cool. They changed up Schism a little bit in the middle, that could have been a little better.

Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned was okay, Maynard's voice was pretty muffled during Rosetta from where we were sitting. Wings 1 & 2 was fucking amazing.

The encore....man Lateralus was fucking amazing, quite possibly the best performance of the night! I definitely could tell the encore songs were a lot louder. Vicarious was awesome, and AEnima was great.

Visuals were cool, but the screen didn't rise up from the floor like i thought it would, so people on the floor had a hard time being able to see it, but they put the visuals on the center ice scoreboard screen too and that was pretty cool. The lights put on a cool effect on the all white stage floor. Overall, great show. Thank you Maynard, Danny, Adam & Justin for an outstanding performance!! Hope to catch you again soon!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: