opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 08. 4 Degrees
User Name
Password
Old 12-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24
Inner Want

I think this song is about somthing thats deep in you, and you don't want to admit you want it. For instance, anal sex. Anal sex is somthing that is often considered wrong and evil, but for a lot of people, the want to at least expirience it is previlent in their minds. They have the desire to atleast try it out.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Inner Want

i agree but in my expereience unlocking the door to find out what is on the otherside is honestly not always a good thing and alot of times it is hard to shut. so i guess this where wisdom comes into play. how do you determine what boundries to push when the consequences are not predictable. it like taking that extra line of coke. you always want a little more. that internal drive for something is called lust and full blown you will indeed want to kill yourself from over consumation.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

let me edit my paragraph... inner drive was a bad description... i meant the black hole that sucks every thing in and is never satisfied. you find your true self by self sacrifice.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 96

yeah ill have to think more about ur point, cus this is a song i love, but i think its about more than a basic instinct type thing in our lives.

but yes, anal sex, my dirty desire.

Don't get big ideas, they are not going to happen.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 528

Check out Crowley's IX degree sexual ritual. A sort of shortcut to experience the rapture of the divine, through the creation of a substance in the sexual act then meant to be ingested

You won't do what you'd like to do--
Lay back and let me show you another way.
Do what you want to take what's left and eat it...

Let me IN!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

4 degrees is most wicked, i love the sadistic pleasure it brings to me.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

sick song, gotta like the intro
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

i love the song. its very trancy... i tend to like that alot lol damn Psychedelic drugs...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish_Rides_The_Spiral View Post
sick song, gotta like the intro
I must agree....
Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

I read sumwhere, that the anal cavity is 4 degrees warmer than the vaginal cavity, (and also contains more nerve endings) hence the title of the song, and hence the lyric, "lay back, and let..me.. show you another way" But then again, critics say that maynard is deeper than that and he wouldnt write a song simply about anal sex with a woman...would he?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47

Has anyone ever considered the significance of the fact that water at 4 degrees celsius is the most dense form it can ever assume (and not at the freezing point or below zero degrees C)?

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 04-01-2007, 01:59 AM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 43

4 degrees was the rise in temperature that (according to one theory )caused the extinction of dinosaurs...(im not just pulling it its patent research result)
it gould also be a geometrical metaphor..
and yes of course.. the anomalous expansion of water...
its tool... it could be them all..
Old 04-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
Banned.

Bincount™: 8223

From the faq :

"...someone asked Maynard about it and got this reply:

'Apparently the anal cavity has 8 more working muscles and is 4 degrees warmer than the vagina. This, however, is NOT a song about violation. It is a song about opening up, completely, without reservation.'"

On the surface, this song is written to/for a very self-controlled woman. A woman that contains herself at all times, even during regular sex. She is contantly thinking about where to put her feet, her hands, striking a sexy pose, etc. and never really gets into it... never gets into the moment fully. That is basicly impossible during anal sex. That particular activity, if she submits to it, is all consuming... it is just impossible for an ordinary woman (I'm ruling out anyone who does it on a regular, daily basis here) to think about thier bank balance or striking a sexy pose while doing it. It brings you to the present in a quick and dirty way. You are your nerve endings. There is no insecurity, no questioning, no controlling the feelings or how you perceive them. You are simply who you are, accepted or not with your imperfections. If and when she allows this to happen, she is free of all inhiebitions, all intentions... everything. She accepts what she is given, what is being done to her and it is impossible to analyse it.

Now take this to the next level. It becomes a call to accept completely, live in the moment, open up to what is going on around you. Stop reserving judgement and feel. Stop analyising to put distance between yourself and your emotions. Accept what you are given.

Sorry about the wordiness. I had heard the song a hundred times, but never stopped to really listen to it before, never read the words. This brings a whole new depth to Tool for me. A deeper understanding *hehe* you might say. Thanks for the Thread.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
Banned.

Location: 41 degrees 23'57"42" N by 75 degrees 42'38.51" W elevation 822
Bincount™: 93

does it nessicerily need to be with a woman, i heard maynard in a live bootleg once adressing the song to those sweaty boys in the audience with no shirts on rubbing against one another. wouldnt the ultimate bond of trust be in being able to fully explore another person in such a sexual manner such as the one in question? homophobes need not apply
Old 04-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
Banned.

I agree with you inside the deeper level and meaning of the song. I had thought about this when typing out my interpretation. I think it was primarily written/ addressed to a woman because 4 degrees is a comparission between the vagina and the "anal cavity"... it relates only to the comparision and means nothing without it. This is not to say that the man/woman comparision cannot be made or defended, simply that (when the quote from the faq is taken into concideration) it makes a direct reference to something that only women have. I do agree that the same situational references and physical effects can apply to men; in many ways much more intimately as it is possibly more socially taboo, and men often have less expeirence dealing with penetration... especially in the case of the straight man. *smiles* Have a nice day and thank you for flying.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:41 AM   #16
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemena View Post

On the surface, this song is written to/for a very self-controlled woman. A woman that contains herself at all times, even during regular sex. She is constantly thinking about where to put her feet, her hands, striking a sexy pose, etc. and never really gets into it... never gets into the moment fully. That is basically impossible during anal sex. That particular activity, if she submits to it, is all consuming... it is just impossible for an ordinary woman (I'm ruling out anyone who does it on a regular, daily basis here) to think about their bank balance or striking a sexy pose while doing it. It brings you to the present in a quick and dirty way. You are your nerve endings. There is no insecurity, no questioning, no controlling the feelings or how you perceive them. You are simply who you are, accepted or not with your imperfections. If and when she allows this to happen, she is free of all inhibitions, all intentions... everything. She accepts what she is given, what is being done to her and it is impossible to analyse it.

Now take this to the next level. It becomes a call to accept completely, live in the moment, open up to what is going on around you. Stop reserving judgement and feel. Stop analyising to put distance between yourself and your emotions. Accept what you are given.
Fuck! That is exactly how it feels - what an awesome post - I never expected to find something so insightful. I will have to listen to this song again. Not that I need an excuse.

Edit: I underlined for my emphasis (and corrected some spelling - being a bit anal)
Old 05-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #17
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA View Post
Fuck! That is exactly how it feels - what an awesome post - I never expected to find something so insightful. I will have to listen to this song again. Not that I need an excuse.

Edit: I underlined for my emphasis (and corrected some spelling - being a bit anal)
Thanks HelenA, I like to think I'm rather perceptive, if a bit introspective and ummm, anal myself. I wish there was a spell checker on this thing, I have large vocabuary and can look at a word and know it's spelled wrong, but I can't seem to spell them right. I don't mind you correcting me, just as long as you understand my intent. I think we are all looking for validation here. Thanks for not slamming for an honest post.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

anybody up for anal sex? i'll bring the sex, u bring the anus.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #19
Banned.

Well snake, I'll give you this much, you have balls. I hope you take rejection well, though.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
Banned.

Location: 41 degrees 23'57"42" N by 75 degrees 42'38.51" W elevation 822
Bincount™: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemena View Post
I agree with you inside the deeper level and meaning of the song. I had thought about this when typing out my interpretation. I think it was primarily written/ addressed to a woman because 4 degrees is a comparission between the vagina and the "anal cavity"... it relates only to the comparision and means nothing without it. This is not to say that the man/woman comparision cannot be made or defended, simply that (when the quote from the faq is taken into concideration) it makes a direct reference to something that only women have. I do agree that the same situational references and physical effects can apply to men; in many ways much more intimately as it is possibly more socially taboo, and men often have less expeirence dealing with penetration... especially in the case of the straight man. *smiles* Have a nice day and thank you for flying.
well yeah its in reference to aa vagina but its also implying going the next mile and regardless of gender an assholes an asshole,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASnakeForEveryEden View Post
anybody up for anal sex? i'll bring the sex, u bring the anus.

i got the anus man, come give me that steamy meat stick
Old 05-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 117

they also call the new cadets at west point, 4 degrees

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: