Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Spring 2012
User Name
Password
Krod92
01-21-2012, 11:18 PM

To the two people who caught Danny's Drum Sticks (since he threw both of them in two different areas)...I am SUPER jealous and just do me a few favors...PLEASE don't sell them!! keep them forever!! you received something truly special so keep it with you throughout your life so that way many years from now you can look back at those drum sticks and say "Hey that was the BEST TOOL concert I have ever been too!!"...just do that for me!

...but other than that...

OMFG!!! BEST CONCERT THAT I HAVE BEEN TO EVER!!! the band had so much energy with them and they all looked like they were having a good time performing...I sat in the back of Section 103 in Row R, so I had a FANTASTIC view of the band and of the light show (Great job Junior!!)... and the setlist of songs they played were amazing! Sober and Parabol/Parabola were both VERY surprising (ill take that trade over Ticks & Leeches and The Pot) but a nice treat! this concert will be one to remember and I'd have to say that I think Texas has def. received the best shows yet on the 2012 tour. I just wish i could have seen them both nights they are playing here...thank you TOOL for coming out and putting on a great show! Peace Love Rock n Roll \/ ♥ \m/

Last edited by Krod92; 01-21-2012 at 11:22 PM..
Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.20.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Arena

To the two people who caught Danny's Drum Sticks (since he threw both of them in two different areas)...I am SUPER jealous and just do me a few favors...PLEASE don't sell them!! keep them forever!! you received something truly special so keep it with you throughout your life so that way many years from now you can look back at those drum sticks and say "Hey that was the BEST TOOL concert I have ever been too!!"...just do that for me!

...but other than that...

OMFG!!! BEST CONCERT THAT I HAVE BEEN TO EVER!!! the band had so much energy with them and they all looked like they were having a good time performing...I sat in the back of Section 103 in Row R, so I had a FANTASTIC view of the band and of the light show (Great job Junior!!)... and the setlist of songs they played were amazing! Sober and Parabol/Parabola were both VERY surprising (ill take that trade over Ticks & Leeches and The Pot) but a nice treat! this concert will be one to remember and I'd have to say that I think Texas has def. received the best shows yet on the 2012 tour. I just wish i could have seen them both nights they are playing here...thank you TOOL for coming out and putting on a great show! Peace Love Rock n Roll \/ ♥ \m/

Last edited by Krod92; 01-21-2012 at 11:22 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
prater
01-22-2012, 11:18 AM

Am I the only one who can't get over the fact that they haven't played Parabol/Parabola in a freaking decade. Not since 2002 on the Lataralus tour I believe. That and Pushit made my night.

Does anyone seem to notice there are so many people at these shows who only know the radio singles? Like there was some applause when Danny started Ticks, but when they switched to Sober everybody screamed bloody murder then everyone in my section at least sang along loudly. I actually heard some girl say "I wonder if they'll play Schism." I'm glad people come out and enjoy themselves but some of the deeper cuts like Pushit and Parabol/Parabola need some love too.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Am I the only one who can't get over the fact that they haven't played Parabol/Parabola in a freaking decade. Not since 2002 on the Lataralus tour I believe. That and Pushit made my night.

Does anyone seem to notice there are so many people at these shows who only know the radio singles? Like there was some applause when Danny started Ticks, but when they switched to Sober everybody screamed bloody murder then everyone in my section at least sang along loudly. I actually heard some girl say "I wonder if they'll play Schism." I'm glad people come out and enjoy themselves but some of the deeper cuts like Pushit and Parabol/Parabola need some love too.
Eulogy33's Avatar Eulogy33
01-22-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timefortimer View Post
Did no one catch the teaser beginning of Prison Sex??
yea, i started to get really exited but then i remembered they've done that teaser in past shows.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #43
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timefortimer View Post
Did no one catch the teaser beginning of Prison Sex??
yea, i started to get really exited but then i remembered they've done that teaser in past shows.
01-22-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prater View Post

yea, it's sad how a lot of the people only care about their radio hits. I was ecstatic when they played hooker/pushit/parabol,parabola. Those 4 songs made the show one of the best times i've seen them
Old 01-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

yea, it's sad how a lot of the people only care about their radio hits. I was ecstatic when they played hooker/pushit/parabol,parabola. Those 4 songs made the show one of the best times i've seen them
01-22-2012, 02:33 PM

SO..5th time seeing them, i was in the pit in front of Justin last time (a great treat) and in section 205 this time(still against the railing) and had a great view. Opening with Hooker?..GREAT decision. I'm really glad they brought some old school stuff back because i was afraid the show would be exactly like the last 4 times. Great energy from the guys and security was pretty lenient which made it more enjoyable even though i got hit on by a drunk guy XD
Old 01-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

SO..5th time seeing them, i was in the pit in front of Justin last time (a great treat) and in section 205 this time(still against the railing) and had a great view. Opening with Hooker?..GREAT decision. I'm really glad they brought some old school stuff back because i was afraid the show would be exactly like the last 4 times. Great energy from the guys and security was pretty lenient which made it more enjoyable even though i got hit on by a drunk guy XD
01-22-2012, 05:37 PM

Can anyone else confirm that Maynard sang the "starin' down the hole again..." verses Friday night that he hadn't been singing previously in the tour? Or am I really nuts?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

Re: 01.20.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Theatre

Can anyone else confirm that Maynard sang the "starin' down the hole again..." verses Friday night that he hadn't been singing previously in the tour? Or am I really nuts?
prater
01-22-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddermalice View Post
He didn't sadly. But understand, he nailed the next part though!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #47
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddermalice View Post
bigpun55
01-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:

I hear ya. I was sittin next to a pretty hot girl and she leaned over to me during the concert and said "I hope they play Opiate." I got really ecstatic and thought about marrying this girl on the spot but then she totally revealed herself as a fraud when she asked me "what song is this?" during the middle of Schism.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

I hear ya. I was sittin next to a pretty hot girl and she leaned over to me during the concert and said "I hope they play Opiate." I got really ecstatic and thought about marrying this girl on the spot but then she totally revealed herself as a fraud when she asked me "what song is this?" during the middle of Schism.
Laddermalice
01-23-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I'll be damned. I found a video of it too. I think actually I was listening for an earlier part at the time that I thought someone said he'd been skipping. That must be what threw me off. Oh well, he sure did belt the rest out loud and clear. Amazing to hear it twice in a weekend.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I'll be damned. I found a video of it too. I think actually I was listening for an earlier part at the time that I thought someone said he'd been skipping. That must be what threw me off. Oh well, he sure did belt the rest out loud and clear. Amazing to hear it twice in a weekend.
mmontoya36
01-23-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertow004 View Post
Can yOu post a picture of the drumhead? I want to buy one if I can at the London Ontario show. Is it signed by all 4 members or just Danny?

I will post a pic. It is signed by the whole band. has the star drawn real big and a skeleton drawn by assume Adam. it was from a show in New Zeland. dated 01/21/11
Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #50
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertow004 View Post
Can yOu post a picture of the drumhead? I want to buy one if I can at the London Ontario show. Is it signed by all 4 members or just Danny?

I will post a pic. It is signed by the whole band. has the star drawn real big and a skeleton drawn by assume Adam. it was from a show in New Zeland. dated 01/21/11
tony4007
01-24-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritech View Post
"Tool? I-I-I don't think so." My wife's more of a Smith's kind of gal, you see. She was terrified. I was giddy, yet skeptical. As soon as we arrived all of my fears began to run through me like an out of control pathogen. "Not good." I said to her. I just knew. I tried looking past the fake tits and Affliction t-shirts, I mean after all, this is Dallas. Onward and upward, I told myself.

First the venue, Verizon. Not a bad seat in the place. Parking expensive but everything is. Usually very good sound quality. Not so much last night. From not being able to hear MJK, to extended periods of unintelligible bass "noise", this missed the target. Mediocre at best.

Now to the things that kept me up last night and have broken my black heart.

The guys. Sloppy is the only thing that comes to mind. They seemed confused. Mistakes, timing, everything. From a band that I've always admired as being technically sound and unapologetic in their rigidness, they disappointed. It was either irreverence or rust and lack of preparation. I would like to think it was the latter.

Which transitions into the disturbing side of what I witnessed.

This was/is a transparently obvious and painfully blatant money grab of the highest order. It's derivation is moot. However rationalized this was a complacent punch-the-clock-and-go-home. Totally mailed in.

The end is upon us. I'm glad I was here to see it, but there is something dignified about burning out. I don't want a graceful aging. These gentlemen that opened a virtual Caligula in our minds of what it means to be Tool are quickly and sadly becoming a walking Rolling Stones, late night TV orchestrated punchline. A small, albeit incredibly dear to me, section of my psyche was irreparably damaged the evening of January 20th. A very humbling night for all of us.

I am truly sorry. Feedback is not only welcome but encouraged. I'm seeing words of description like, "epic" and "blown away". What am I not seeing? Am I expecting too much?
You are the burn out!! i was at this show and it was a great performance. the setlist has a meaning and thats why it is played almost the same every time. get over yourself. pushit sounded the best its ever been performed. dont get me started on aenema, that song owns!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #51
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritech View Post
"Tool? I-I-I don't think so." My wife's more of a Smith's kind of gal, you see. She was terrified. I was giddy, yet skeptical. As soon as we arrived all of my fears began to run through me like an out of control pathogen. "Not good." I said to her. I just knew. I tried looking past the fake tits and Affliction t-shirts, I mean after all, this is Dallas. Onward and upward, I told myself.

First the venue, Verizon. Not a bad seat in the place. Parking expensive but everything is. Usually very good sound quality. Not so much last night. From not being able to hear MJK, to extended periods of unintelligible bass "noise", this missed the target. Mediocre at best.

Now to the things that kept me up last night and have broken my black heart.

The guys. Sloppy is the only thing that comes to mind. They seemed confused. Mistakes, timing, everything. From a band that I've always admired as being technically sound and unapologetic in their rigidness, they disappointed. It was either irreverence or rust and lack of preparation. I would like to think it was the latter.

Which transitions into the disturbing side of what I witnessed.

This was/is a transparently obvious and painfully blatant money grab of the highest order. It's derivation is moot. However rationalized this was a complacent punch-the-clock-and-go-home. Totally mailed in.

The end is upon us. I'm glad I was here to see it, but there is something dignified about burning out. I don't want a graceful aging. These gentlemen that opened a virtual Caligula in our minds of what it means to be Tool are quickly and sadly becoming a walking Rolling Stones, late night TV orchestrated punchline. A small, albeit incredibly dear to me, section of my psyche was irreparably damaged the evening of January 20th. A very humbling night for all of us.

I am truly sorry. Feedback is not only welcome but encouraged. I'm seeing words of description like, "epic" and "blown away". What am I not seeing? Am I expecting too much?
You are the burn out!! i was at this show and it was a great performance. the setlist has a meaning and thats why it is played almost the same every time. get over yourself. pushit sounded the best its ever been performed. dont get me started on aenema, that song owns!
rzrbck79
01-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony4007 View Post
The entire night was magical. The only way the set list could have been better would to have been to include The Grude, and that's just a personal preference. This weekend was my 7th and 8th show and I truly thought I'd never live to hear Pushit live. It took all I had to fight back tears of emotion. Night one was an emotional roller coaster and I loved it. Night two was more mellow and it even included Ticks.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
The entire night was magical. The only way the set list could have been better would to have been to include The Grude, and that's just a personal preference. This weekend was my 7th and 8th show and I truly thought I'd never live to hear Pushit live. It took all I had to fight back tears of emotion. Night one was an emotional roller coaster and I loved it. Night two was more mellow and it even included Ticks.
ToolFanFromWayBack's Avatar ToolFanFromWayBack
01-24-2012, 07:25 PM

Finally got a chance to edit some of the pictures from the 2 nights. Enjoy!

No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-24-2012 at 08:11 PM..
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-24-2012 at 08:11 PM..
ToolFanFromWayBack's Avatar ToolFanFromWayBack
01-24-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFanFromWayBack View Post

No links to bootlegs.
Sorry. Didn't read what was considered bootleg. Mea culpa,,,
Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #54
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFanFromWayBack View Post

No links to bootlegs.
Sorry. Didn't read what was considered bootleg. Mea culpa,,,
prater
01-25-2012, 01:02 AM

I did happen to get a couple of backstage passes after the show and a sheet with the band's pictures on it that says "Band members do not need passes" as well as a sheet with a sample of all the different level passes that was posted for security, I thought they were some pretty cool souvenirs.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #55
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I did happen to get a couple of backstage passes after the show and a sheet with the band's pictures on it that says "Band members do not need passes" as well as a sheet with a sample of all the different level passes that was posted for security, I thought they were some pretty cool souvenirs.
Krod92
01-26-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Did you get to see or meet any of the band members??!! cause if you did that would be legendary haha
Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Did you get to see or meet any of the band members??!! cause if you did that would be legendary haha
prater
01-28-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod92 View Post

No sadly I didn't get to actually go backstage, a friend of mine who does sound for big tours gave them to me. I did however have lunch with Tool's sound guy Nobby the next day, good times! I'll post pics of the stuff I got when I get a chance.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #57
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod92 View Post

No sadly I didn't get to actually go backstage, a friend of mine who does sound for big tours gave them to me. I did however have lunch with Tool's sound guy Nobby the next day, good times! I'll post pics of the stuff I got when I get a chance.
ZantheriaN
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
This set list did have meaning. Opening a show, the year your new album comes out, with Hooker w/ a penis. Screaming at you "Buy...My New Record, Send More Money!" what does that tell ya. Everyone says the guys put so much thought into every aspect of the presentation of their material, and they do, but that speaks volumes!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
This set list did have meaning. Opening a show, the year your new album comes out, with Hooker w/ a penis. Screaming at you "Buy...My New Record, Send More Money!" what does that tell ya. Everyone says the guys put so much thought into every aspect of the presentation of their material, and they do, but that speaks volumes!
RoadRage7
02-02-2012, 05:27 AM

Two shows in Grand Prairie? A setlist that hasn't been duplicated the rest of the tour? Who loves DFW!!!!? Your damn skippy!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #59
Level 2 - Poster

Two shows in Grand Prairie? A setlist that hasn't been duplicated the rest of the tour? Who loves DFW!!!!? Your damn skippy!!!
Sp00k's Avatar Sp00k
02-02-2012, 10:25 PM

^Yup, Looking back on it now, that was an awesome night. I could not find one damn person sitting during the entire show, I'm sure there were a few scattered about, but that place was rockin. Read some other venue's reviews talking about people sitting during the show. I'll never understand that.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #60
Level 7 - Loquacious

^Yup, Looking back on it now, that was an awesome night. I could not find one damn person sitting during the entire show, I'm sure there were a few scattered about, but that place was rockin. Read some other venue's reviews talking about people sitting during the show. I'll never understand that.
RoadRage7
02-03-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00k View Post
I don't think I've ever been to a Tool show here that everyone wasn't standing. I've seen em a couple of times out of state and trust me, the best Tool fans are right here and they know it! Can't wait for the new album to come out and see them 3 more times during that tour! AAC, FTW Convention Center, and finally back at Verizon! Still disappointed we didn't get a new song but screw it!!! PushIt made up for it all!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #61
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I don't think I've ever been to a Tool show here that everyone wasn't standing. I've seen em a couple of times out of state and trust me, the best Tool fans are right here and they know it! Can't wait for the new album to come out and see them 3 more times during that tour! AAC, FTW Convention Center, and finally back at Verizon! Still disappointed we didn't get a new song but screw it!!! PushIt made up for it all!
RoadRage7
02-04-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
If you listen to the songs that were recorded and posted on You Tube, you can actually hear the crowd singing along (not just the "high" points.) As loud as the show was, to hear a crowd singing damn near every song is something special. Glad to see our hometown fans appreciate these guys as much as I do and it shows! As much as it sucks to still be waiting on the new album, I'll take a mini tour or old songs everytime they come through!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #62
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
If you listen to the songs that were recorded and posted on You Tube, you can actually hear the crowd singing along (not just the "high" points.) As loud as the show was, to hear a crowd singing damn near every song is something special. Glad to see our hometown fans appreciate these guys as much as I do and it shows! As much as it sucks to still be waiting on the new album, I'll take a mini tour or old songs everytime they come through!
Ganjalf's Avatar Ganjalf
02-04-2012, 08:40 AM

Dallas got the two bests show of the tour so far.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #63
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

02-04-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjalf View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I am so glad I decided to bite the bullet and get tickets to both shows.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjalf View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I am so glad I decided to bite the bullet and get tickets to both shows.
RoadRage7
02-07-2012, 04:38 AM

It would be cool to see the video Maynard made of the crowd at the end of the show before he left the stage. If this was made public let me know! High Five For Jesus, Two for Satan!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #65
Level 2 - Poster

It would be cool to see the video Maynard made of the crowd at the end of the show before he left the stage. If this was made public let me know! High Five For Jesus, Two for Satan!
wide-eyed-n-wild
02-07-2012, 03:14 PM

I went to the show in Vegas, and to both Grand Prairie shows and wow, all I can say is that my soul has been stretched beyond what I thought was possible. I am completely re-inspired, and hear Tool in an entirely different light now. I find myself coming back to this forum almost daily just to vicariously get that unique feeling of awe again that seeing Tool live evokes. I haven't wanted to listen to anything besides Tool, APC and Puscifer since before the Jan 15th show until now because I just haven't found anything else that moves my soul like they do, especially Tool. There really isn't any other band out there that consciously produces sound through sacred geometry and other spiritual avenues mixed with the words and intentions that can open you up to the secrets of the Universe, but if you know of one, let me know! I really feel like so many of the fans aren't completely aware of what they are opening up to when they go see Tool though, and perhaps I'm not even fully aware of it all. I think though, for many fans its a subconscious drive; they know something is really special about these guys but haven't looked deep enough do discover the what else lies behind their amazing musical abilities. Although don't get me wrong, there definitely are those folks that totally "GET IT". Which, by the way, when you do delve deeper, man your life is changed forever, for the better. Seeing Tool 3 times in two weeks was like going to a spiritual church where my soul was healed and I bow to them for that.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

I went to the show in Vegas, and to both Grand Prairie shows and wow, all I can say is that my soul has been stretched beyond what I thought was possible. I am completely re-inspired, and hear Tool in an entirely different light now. I find myself coming back to this forum almost daily just to vicariously get that unique feeling of awe again that seeing Tool live evokes. I haven't wanted to listen to anything besides Tool, APC and Puscifer since before the Jan 15th show until now because I just haven't found anything else that moves my soul like they do, especially Tool. There really isn't any other band out there that consciously produces sound through sacred geometry and other spiritual avenues mixed with the words and intentions that can open you up to the secrets of the Universe, but if you know of one, let me know! I really feel like so many of the fans aren't completely aware of what they are opening up to when they go see Tool though, and perhaps I'm not even fully aware of it all. I think though, for many fans its a subconscious drive; they know something is really special about these guys but haven't looked deep enough do discover the what else lies behind their amazing musical abilities. Although don't get me wrong, there definitely are those folks that totally "GET IT". Which, by the way, when you do delve deeper, man your life is changed forever, for the better. Seeing Tool 3 times in two weeks was like going to a spiritual church where my soul was healed and I bow to them for that.
Swens6
02-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRage7 View Post
Yeah, from reading all of the reviews, it looks like we may have gotten the best!

Did anyone read Maynard's interview about Arizona?

He says he plans on being there for Sept and October, I wonder what that means for an album release and tour. You figure, the earliest they could release something would be mid to late summer, but they wouldn't have time for a full supporting tour if he is going to be there for the grape harvest. Unless they release the album and then wait until Nov and do a winter tour.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #67
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRage7 View Post
Yeah, from reading all of the reviews, it looks like we may have gotten the best!

Did anyone read Maynard's interview about Arizona?

He says he plans on being there for Sept and October, I wonder what that means for an album release and tour. You figure, the earliest they could release something would be mid to late summer, but they wouldn't have time for a full supporting tour if he is going to be there for the grape harvest. Unless they release the album and then wait until Nov and do a winter tour.
InfiniteOne
02-21-2012, 11:39 PM

I didn't attend the show but have been long time TOOL fan and attended more than a dozen shows since 1996. I felt the need to comment on "tritech" comments above specifically.

"The end is upon us. I'm glad I was here to see it, but there is something dignified about burning out. """"I DONT WANT A GRACEFUL AGING.""" These gentlemen that opened a virtual Caligula in our minds of what it means to be Tool are quickly and sadly becoming a walking Rolling Stones, late night TV orchestrated punchline. A small, albeit incredibly dear to me, section of my psyche was irreparably damaged the evening of January 20th. A very humbling night for all of us. "

Personally I think their demise MIGHT be on purpose (consciously or not). They might try and show us the absurdity of this collective psyche we (media consuming humans) try and find in someone "Standing above the crowd..." trying to give meaning to this questionable life we seem to be sharing (Instead of looking INSIDE ourselves!). Anyway, their message is to wake up and "THINK FOR YOURSELF" no more, no less. Get out there and CREATE, get out there and change the world. Use the feeling swelling up inside and explode into another avenue never felt or experienced before. Input from outside is crucial to help shape your internal mindset but, OUTPUT is what keeps this human evolution going. Consume media but know it is only media and not the END but maybe a START (this has been echoed throughout the years by the band, in my mind). The mind has infinite avenues to explore so get out there and share your point of view. In short DON'T BLINDLY FOLLOW ANYONE including them!

It's interesting that they open with "Hooker With A Penis" a prophetic sign of things to come perhaps? "All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit, And you bought one." I think Maynard knows his role is of the Jester in the Kings court and that nothing last forever. They are just trying to speak to the Sheepeople out there with brutal honesty mixed with misdirection (just to keep it interesting).

Finally, my 2 cents will end but not before we remember the level playing field echoed for all of us later in that song "Before you point the finger you should know that I'M the man, and if I'M the man, then YOU'RE the man, and he's the man as well so you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass."

I don't pretend to have the truth, these are just the directions my mind has investegated through the years. PEACE!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

I didn't attend the show but have been long time TOOL fan and attended more than a dozen shows since 1996. I felt the need to comment on "tritech" comments above specifically.

"The end is upon us. I'm glad I was here to see it, but there is something dignified about burning out. """"I DONT WANT A GRACEFUL AGING.""" These gentlemen that opened a virtual Caligula in our minds of what it means to be Tool are quickly and sadly becoming a walking Rolling Stones, late night TV orchestrated punchline. A small, albeit incredibly dear to me, section of my psyche was irreparably damaged the evening of January 20th. A very humbling night for all of us. "

Personally I think their demise MIGHT be on purpose (consciously or not). They might try and show us the absurdity of this collective psyche we (media consuming humans) try and find in someone "Standing above the crowd..." trying to give meaning to this questionable life we seem to be sharing (Instead of looking INSIDE ourselves!). Anyway, their message is to wake up and "THINK FOR YOURSELF" no more, no less. Get out there and CREATE, get out there and change the world. Use the feeling swelling up inside and explode into another avenue never felt or experienced before. Input from outside is crucial to help shape your internal mindset but, OUTPUT is what keeps this human evolution going. Consume media but know it is only media and not the END but maybe a START (this has been echoed throughout the years by the band, in my mind). The mind has infinite avenues to explore so get out there and share your point of view. In short DON'T BLINDLY FOLLOW ANYONE including them!

It's interesting that they open with "Hooker With A Penis" a prophetic sign of things to come perhaps? "All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit, And you bought one." I think Maynard knows his role is of the Jester in the Kings court and that nothing last forever. They are just trying to speak to the Sheepeople out there with brutal honesty mixed with misdirection (just to keep it interesting).

Finally, my 2 cents will end but not before we remember the level playing field echoed for all of us later in that song "Before you point the finger you should know that I'M the man, and if I'M the man, then YOU'RE the man, and he's the man as well so you can point that fuckin' finger up your ass."

I don't pretend to have the truth, these are just the directions my mind has investegated through the years. PEACE!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply