opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #81
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/08 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

This show sucked compared to the other tool shows I have been to. I posted a really good opinion on here yesterday, but for some odd reason it has been removed. I guess it did not follow the standard guidlines of "TOOL is the greatest band ever man. My life is now complete. I will eat the bands shit and drink their piss." You know, the usual crap that people write. Sorry Kabir and croonies if it was not up to your standards. Anyways, i am back in Dallas can't wait to see them on Thurs. I am a little concerned about my seats though. They are located directly behind the stage in a row that doesnt exist. Has anyone ever run into this situation?

- Benjamin Franklin
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #82
Banned.

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by enklined View Post
Just re-read your post, and then mine. I apologize for coming off strong - after rereading your initial post i see that you said "if this is true, then..." My bad. I have an issue with people accusing me or others of something that isn't 100% fact...thats just me. But I see now what you and "Shane" were getting at.

Whoa, I made a mistake. I've been humanized. (ha)

Anyway, yea, when I saw the prices for the t-shirts...i was like "FUCK THAT"...spent way too much money to be there. Didnt buy a thing from the consession stands/bars (tho, a couple drinks woulda been cool, but 10 bucks for a beer and 12 for a mixed drink just isnt my thing after ive paid so much to be there).

Ended up bying a $25 poster tho. Long time fan(atic) and have not one piece of Tool paraphernalia besides the albums.
Oh dude, it's totally cool. I'm with you all the way.

Yeah, that poster is very cool. And, speaking of Shane (hehe) I mentioned something about that hoodie after reading up in the merch thread the day before. So, being hammered as he was, he buys it for me. I wanted to seriously choke him. That shit is expensive.

On the shiny happy side of things, I met a lot of cool people that night. And, I love meeting new people so... good times.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #83
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
Us too. And I don't feel the slightest bit bad about it. I've bought all Tool's records, several on-the-level T-shirts (at shows and elsewhere), and tickets to six of their shows. I kind of feel entitled to buy a bootleg shirt if I want one.
Pretty much the same here. I bought Tool tshirts at the last two shows (among others from shops), have every album, including Salival, and have even bought multiple copies of Lateralus. Besides, we weren't going to spend the $40 on a shirt anyway, so Tool wouldn't have gotten our money anyway, and now they have some more free advertising whenever we wear one.

Rest of your post was funny. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers View Post
I wouldnt ever by a bootleg shirt, thats totally retarded, those people selling those shirts are just bottom feeders making a dime off the band.
Hey, the meth addict I bought one of my shirts didn't even make that many dimes - I bargained her down because one of my bills was a $2. So, I have no complaints about being a "retard" with money left in my pocket for more than three large, overpriced beers at the show.

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 09-11-2006 at 10:16 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #84
Level 2 - Poster

What an amazing night! For me, it was much better than Thursday night because a) I was very close to the stage and could see everyone well, and b) I was surrounded by the most interesting people! The band was awesome, naturally, and did such an amazing job with Wings/10K.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #85
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by oar View Post
i nabbed the setlist, we got screwed a slight bit. opiate was to be played, after schism and before vicarious. no idea why they skipped it, but the band did have a bigt of a chat after 46+2 with roadies etc.i have pics of it, will upload shortly. also, rosetta was noted as "intro+rosetta", rather than just merley rosetta from thursday.
Damn! I would have LOVED to hear Opiate!

oh well, it still was an awesome show even if we did get shorted one song.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #86
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir View Post
* space reserved for kabir's review. why? because i can. see you all there.
I know I'm not supposed to post if I wasn't there, but is anyone else wondering what's happened to Kabir?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #87
t.d.n creator/presidenté

Bincount™: 116

he has been working too much again. but he does know that "Opiate" was on the setlist but got cut during the show. presumably that is what mjk was saying 'no' to danny about.

this is the voice of original sin • take it. [attrition]
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 04:55 AM   #88
Prana

Bincount™: 8

I was exhausted for this show. I flew into L.A. Thursday and ate and went right to the show. Actually ate in the Fox Sports Fan bar or whatever it's called in the Staples Center. Went hiking and to the beach on Friday, among other things, and I was just dead for Friday's show.

I have to admit that it didn't seem to have the energy of Thursday night's show, but I attributed that to my exhaustion. Considering what other people have said about it, maybe it did lack a little of the energy of Thursday night's show. Either way, Tool on their worst night is better than any other band I've seen on their best night. Since I was tired, I just sat back and watched them play.

Earlier posts reminded me of some of the minor flubs during the show. Otherwise, I would have forgotten about them.

I wondered if Maynard was serious about waiting for the VIP's to start the show for real. I mean, the video stuff for Rosetta Stoned was amazing on Thursday to the extent I felt like I was really tripping on something. I thought maybe they decided to play RS first while they waited for the VIP's and, therefore, had to cut out the visuals for some reason? Is that completely ridiculous? I don't know.

Anyway, it was nice to meet y'all: Kabir, SupaDupaNerd, sonnyboy11, and nthistogether. Kinda strange too. Just enough time to say hello and then Kabir said "we better get back in there, the show starts in seven minutes." Well, at least I'm pretty sure you guys really exist now.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #89
Level 4 - Thinker

Kabir reserved a space, but is he going to post a review?

Last edited by Lestat; 09-12-2006 at 10:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #90
Prana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Kabir reserved a space, but is he going to post a review?
You may want to read posts 86 and 87 above.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #91
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

There isn't anything I can post here that hasn't already been said. I came all the way from Alaska to see both the LA shows and the Phoenix show and was completely blown away at the Staple Center shows... can't wait for them to come back around to the west coast in 07.

ps.. Kevin from Covington Kentucky, I met you and "Grace" after Friday's show in the bar at the Holiday Inn.... please post or reply, would like to chat more with you two.. Both of you were funny as hell...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #92
Level 3 - Talker

A wonderful 28th Tool show for me! After 5 shows of roughly the same setlist on this tour (I loved each of them!) I was gtatefully disoriented by tonight's rearraged set and extremely excited to hear Wings for Marie and 10,0000 days. Very awesome to experience this live!

I liked seeing the laser show from the rear seats (dead center) as much as being on the floor (in Oakland).

I have to say, it feels weird and a bit melancholy to not know when my next TooL show will be; I'm hoping for the Spring.

Last edited by _J_A_Y_; 09-12-2006 at 03:18 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #93
Level 8 - Vociferous

haha who here still thinks that maynard was joking or being an asshole when he told us that he was sick? supposedly they played a mediocre show (well, only maynard since he couldn't sing really) at the Woodlands and have now cancelled the San Antonio show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #94
Prana

I didn't think he, or they, were kidding. When he said it at the show, I hadn't noticed his singing being off except for one crack when he first sang the word "lawyer" during The Pot. Actually, I woke up with a little throat problem on Saturday morning and still felt bad on Sunday. I felt okay yesterday, but it started up again today. I think Maynard sneezed in my general direction at the show Friday night. Just kidding about that, but the friend I went with also wound up feeling sick by Saturday evening. Could be there was something going around in L.A. for real.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #95
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath View Post
I didn't think he, or they, were kidding. When he said it at the show, I hadn't noticed his singing being off except for one crack when he first sang the word "lawyer" during The Pot. Actually, I woke up with a little throat problem on Saturday morning and still felt bad on Sunday. I felt okay yesterday, but it started up again today. I think Maynard sneezed in my general direction at the show Friday night. Just kidding about that, but the friend I went with also wound up feeling sick by Saturday evening. Could be there was something going around in L.A. for real.
Haha. Yeah, I thought he sounded great.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #96
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

this was a good show, i took my girlfriend, we had front row in one of the 100 level sections (104) and i dug it. not as good as night 1, but still 10x [10,000x ? :)] better than any other live show out there. wish they had played opiate. viva tool! feel better maynard
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #97
Banned.

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownOfNegativity View Post
haha who here still thinks that maynard was joking or being an asshole when he told us that he was sick? supposedly they played a mediocre show (well, only maynard since he couldn't sing really) at the Woodlands and have now cancelled the San Antonio show.
Were you talking about my post? Sick or not sick was not in question. It was the reasons he was giving. If you know why you are feeling a certain way, say it. Otherwise, shut up and make your peace some other way.

If we feel like paying for bullshit, there are plenty of places we can go. After hanging out with some really cool people, a Tool show where everyone paid a lot of money to be with each other should not be one of them.

As far as more observations and feelings from that night, it sounds like people were tired. The band probably was. I know I was. So was my buddy from the night before.

Something happened on Thursday night. Between that and the exhaustion, I think that's where the answer is.

I witnessed how much the band cares about Maynard. This is just speculation but, not only is Tool Adam's project but I can see where Maynard is Adam's (and Danny's) project of love. They obviously care deeply for him.

Granted, I am not a Tool fan like people I know or some on this forum. And, I don't have the close history with the band as others my age. What I do know is Maynard's lyrics do not jive with the words coming out of his mouth when speaking to those who pay to see the band. To me, that is called duality.

Please point me to anything that may help with my ignorance if I am off the mark. It is appreciated greatly.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #98
Level 1 - Lurker

the OG was very good to me
got in the concert at 9:10PM right as they were going on.
perfect first TOOL show and the OG kush made it an experience for the senses
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #99
On Probation

Bincount™: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers View Post
Do you attend concerts on a regular basis? It would appear many of you rarely go to shows. Concert shirts by my estimation have been in the $35-50 range for the last 5...8...years. My t__l shirt from coachella cost 40.....

I wouldnt ever by a bootleg shirt, thats totally retarded, those people selling those shirts are just bottom feeders making a dime off the band.

I would have plopped down my hard earned $$$ for shirt but most the designs werent that interesting or were derivative of whats already out there. I didnt see the limited edition one......what did it look like?
Um, I go to normally five shows a month. I know what prices should be. A shirt from Ozzfest doesn't even go that much. That says enough about these prices.

Coachella rapes merch, that is a known fact.

Seriously, the shirt costs at the most $5 to make, and when in bulk it's cheaper than that. Adding $35-55 to the price is bullshit.

The limited edition one was white with a black drawing on it, done by some artist who thankfully has slipped my mind at this point. Someone else probably knows.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-14-2006, 08:20 PM   #100
Level 1 - Lurker

finally i can post. 9th and 10th shows for me.

well, thursday night was the show to be at, i was and seeing wings for the first time was like being in a huge cavern full of expectant electicity. when he walked off i knew it wasnt for any negative reason, and coming back to sing the line "spewing sympathy, spare me." so full of emotion, i was changed. I was fully blown away, sitting in 108 had great view and sound, i was in fucking heaven the whole time, didnt really feel maynard being ill at all and it seemed that i was watching a different tool from at coachella, a looser more comfortable band that really could take chances and also potentially fall from that height. few falls, many amazing moments. thursdays show was the best show ive seen, beating out lollapalooza in toronto 98, and the wiltern (both nights) in 2000 and something. jambi is chicolote live, and Right in Two surpassed anything ive ever seen from a band, simply the cream of the crop, the bees knees and all the others combined. The heavy part at the end "over grave, over ground...etc" was like a revelation live. truly one of the best nights of my life.

friday was no slouch. adam killed every song.

he missed the harmony at "jambi i i i i i i i, jambi i i i i i i i " but the next vocal line he sounded so pissed and gave it so hard that i think that the AZ show suffered because of how amazin he sang that part, "damn my eyes, if they should..."
when danny added in the double bass kicks at the end of 46&2 my heart stopped. he is a god, really... i sorely missed right in two, but seeing wings performed that much better and that much more focused was worth it. lateralus was great both nights, but i loved seeing it as a closer friday, leaving the sorta cheese ball'ish stage setup right till the end, i felt flattered.

From all the way down to the sacral bone....thank you adam, danny, maynard and justin, oh and by the way, justin is retarded, sick, fucking monsterous.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: